Lindemans Framboise - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  2.50% ABV

2.5-4.0% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-01-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Framboise Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Big bottle, corked and capped.

Treated this like champagne in the chill, the glasses used and the pour.

Let me admit straight off that my review is likely to be outside the first standard deviation, because I simply love this stuff. Perhaps my palate is utterly untrained, but I can't help it: I love it.

Gorgeous red-pink-purple beer under a thin pink lid that fades in a little while to a ring. Some minimal lacing. Still, the color is simply divine. I wish my wife had a night-gown this color!

Smell is like sticking your face into a bucket of raspberries. If you like fruit beer, you'll be in heaven with this one. Far more aromatic than the peche or the pomme. There is also a fascinating pair of added aromas: first is a nice tea-rose fragrance, and then an intriguing pipe-tobacco smell. Not tobacco smoke, but rather just the smell of the tobacco itself. Quite pleasant.

The taste follows the aroma to a "T," with the rose and tobacco notes being slightly more pronounced than on the nose. Nice depth of flavor, with the rose taste coming up a bit as the beer warns. This is DEE-freakin'-LICIOUS!!

Mouthfeel is surprisingly round and slurpalicious considering the lack of head and minimal lacing.

At just 4.0%, this is a beer I could drink non-stop if it weren't for the cost: that's the only thing that keeps this from being a 5.0 in drinkability.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

Red kool-aid color with a white head. Huge raspberry odor, not very beer like in any way. Taste is very sweet raspberries like candy. A little bit of the lambiccy beer flavor comes through on the finish with some cherries, but really not very much. Really, if you;re drinking this beer, its because you want to drink a carbonated raspberry drink, not anything that really resembles a beer. still, it does what it sets out to do i guess.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A very "non-beer" kind of beer, but good none-the-less. It's a hazy red color, with a small pink head. Nose is sweet fresh raspberries, and slight yeast. Taste is sweet and tart raspberry, with yeast in the finish. Could use some malt or hop flavor to convince of "Beery-ness." Instead we get pounded with "Berry-ness." Mouthfeel is decent. Drinkability is pretty decent, considering the low ABV and pleasant flavor, but the sweetness hurts it a bit. You couldn't drink too much unless you have a sweet tooth.

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

If I had drank this in the factory bars I hung out in 30 years ago, I’d have gotten my ass kicked. And trying to convince all the PBR drinking rednecks that it was "beer" would have gotten me killed.

That being said, this is a most interesting drink. It poured to the strangest color for beer I’ve ever had....a bright ruby red color with a pink head that lingered for a while, but left no lacing. Nose was strongly sweet raspberry, and the flavor was exactly the same. Mouthfeel was tingling, and carbonated, like the old style strawberry soda pop.

The thing I liked most about this drink was the finish, which reminded me of a Flemish Sour....sour to begin with, but quickly turning sweet, and this became more pronounced as the beer warmed.

This would not be a session beer by any means, and I will not even drink it very often. But as a once-in-a-while, special occasion novelty beer, this is damn good.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

A 750 ml bottle costing $9.45 at the North Coast Coop in Eureka, CA. Poured a beautiful red color with a pink head that lasted a long time and left wonderful lacing. A feast for the eyes. Big nose of raseberries and a touch of yeast.. Mouthfeel is thick and rich, with remarkable smoothness. Flavor is simply amazing with raspberries dominating and a bit of tartness. Nice sweetness and a good finish. An outstanding example of its type.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into tulip/goblet. Rich ruby color with nice light-colored head. Lacing remains on class which looks great againt the red liquid. Smell of raspberries is strong. Tastes like fizzy melted sorbet. They must have used a lot of raspberries in this beer.

Has a nice tartness that lingers after the sweetness is gone. I had one a few months ago that had a more mellow flavor and was a smoother sipper.

I wonder how much the wild yeast plays on the taste of this beer from bottle to bottle year to year. Probably will grab one of the at least once a year to find out.

Good choice to share on Valentine's with the hunny.

Drinkability is good, but might be better when paired with dessert - probably one with dark chocolate.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at Bar Louie...served in the Lindemans flute

A-Deep purple body with a cotton candy pink head that left nice lacing.

S-Fresh raspberries with a little hint of funk. Very "dessertish"! Fruitiness is clearly dominant. They must use a boatload of raspberries to get this kind of aroma.

T-Unlike the sweet aroma, there is a nice sourness that greets you on this. Yes, it is very sweet and a little over-the-top if you do not like fruity beers, but it is very well balanced and nicely produced. It tastes so much like fresh raspberries that you would expect it to have a synthetic taste, but it is quite opposite.

M-Light, refreshing and not overly cloying. Sweetness is dominant up front but left a bit dry at the finish. Nice pairing.

D-For a beer so fruity, the funkiness matches it perfectly and makes for a nice sweet beer. Honestly, there is no way I could drink this more than once-in-a-while, but it is a great example of the style.

4.38/5  rDev +13.8%

This beer, while fruity and slightly girly, has a unique and definately uplifting flavor. Would rather this than a glass of any red vino!!! There is a great appreciation for Belgium and its Lambic here in the Cincinnati area, unlike back home in California where they are too stricken on alcohol % over flavor.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

12 oz. bottle- color of bright cranberry, and bright pink head - nose of fresh raspberry, raspberry syrup , and slight sour cherries , musty – taste of fresh raspberry , and sour cherries - body sweet / sour ,, and thick to medium syruply – aftertaste of sweet raspberry , and sourness

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a hazy plum hue with a creamy two-finger head pale mauve in color. Very good retention producing thick and stubborn patches of lace. Medicinal phenols and raspberries in the nose, also some light fruity alcohol, but thats about it. The initial taste is very sweet and very tart. Somewhat like pairing a traditional lambic with a raspberry puree; only a very faint pale malt sweetness can be found. Dry aftertaste; possibility of hop flavor but certainly lacking in bitterness and the tart lactic bite is not enough to keep the flavor in balance. I can appreciate what the brewer's were attempting here, but I would still like to detect a beer in there somewhere. High carbonation and medium to full body. This might have been more agreeable if lighter in body, but the thick, unchecked sweetness is distracting even though it dries out quickly. Finishes with a suggestion of hops and fairly dry. The drinkabilty is good if you like your beer devoid of malt and hop character, visciously tart, and dripping with raspberry marmalde sweetness.

2.38/5  rDev -38.2%

This is my first ever review . I am a believer of "read more , post less " but here it goes .

I have no idea where it was purchased for all I know it could be a re-gift .

Poured in a Guinness pint glass

Appearance - Ruby red , looks real nice and inviting . Head foamed up to look like Strawberry Marshmallow Fluff .

Smell - Fruity , tart , not over the top .

Taste - here is where it loses me . I like trying out different types but this is too fruity , too sweet . I'm sweet enough thank you .
Reminds me of Rosa Regale .

Mouthfeel - ok . still am not a fan of the frizzy fruitness .

well there is number one .

My addiction has begun

Cheers

Wow! My first Lambic and boy was it an experience! I was drawn in by the color, a delightfully bright purply color. Although, I do have a bit of a color blindness issue. Intense raspberry on the nose. This brew is completely dominated by raspberry. I was amazed by the simple fact that a beer could taste like this. Overall I thought it was fantastic, but only on rare occasions. No way could I drink this on the regular.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Always a good sipping beer if you're in the mood for someting sweet. Looked good with red body and pink head. Smelled delicious like candied raspberries. Taste was also good, but not terribly complex. Lots of raspberry and only a hint of tang or funk. Also a little syrupy, but it would still make for a good dessert.

4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours a deep purple, merlot with some deep garnet, blush highlights. The head is a nice light purple. Can only see bubbles at the top where the purple shade is the lightest. the aroma is a nice funky mix of rasberies and spontaneous yeast. Nice and tangy. The is an even better blend of the two. The real fruit flavor of fresh raspberries and the sour tang of a real lambic. The raspberry cuts down on that acidity. Great to drink with my girlfriend when we play UNO. I think this beer defies the Man Law of "no fruit in beer" quite well.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

This beer is red. Not just slightly red either, I mean, red. Light pink head, leaves a fine lacing.

Aroma of raspberries. Not much else. The aroma strong; no doubts about what you are getting into.

The beer tastes of raspberries, with a tart finish. It is fairly effervescent but smooth. It is a knockout fruit beer, moreso fruit than beer. Hardly any hints of malt behind the wall of raspberry flavor. Crisp, clean finish.

Generally a good beer, although a bit overwhelming if you're not into the fruit-beer thing; or if you don't like raspberries. I feel its a bit too much like a wine or juice even, rather than a beer, for my own personal tastes. I appreciate fruit beers where you can detect the malts, and the fruit is an accent - this is simply overwhelmingly raspberry.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Red red, with a big head.

When I poured this champagne bottle for my wife and neighbors on New Year's Eve, they were all pretty shocked by the appearance and the deep raspberry aroma. I was not, as I recently tried the New Glarus Belgian Red and thought this fruit beer would be similar. Yep.

This comes across more as alcoholic fruit beverage than beer, so my audience was really puzzled, but I figure that just means we have too biased an opinion on what beer is supposed to be.
This is all about the fruit -- full of tart berry. If you except that, be prepared for a refreshing, tart berry beverage. I could drink it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

When decanted the beer is a dark raspberry red, looks like grapejuice. The head is reddish purple with lacing to match but receeds quickly...dirty glass?

Aroma of this beer is spectacular. As soon as the bottle was open very strong aromas of raspberries filled the room. Also some cork aroma in there. No apparent hop or malt characteristics as to speak of just the raspberries.

This beer is very sweet with the raspberry character in the forefront. Besides the raspberry character there is some other fruity esters which I suppose come from the spontaneous fermentation. Malt and hop characters low, to non-existant. It reminds me of juice or fruit soda. Overall sour and tart character.

The high fizziness of this brew pair nicely with the sweet flavor that accopmanies it. Feels like champagne on the palate. This brew is easy to drink but I think that it'd be hard to drink all night due to the sweetness of it. Might be too much, make you sick ya know. This is something that is very refreshing from the normal styles I usually drink, good change of pace. I can see this brew taking the place of juice in my refridgerator.

Holy smoke! Raspberry attack! My beer reviews don't contain a lot of subtle smell and taste this and that, because those senses were seriously attenuated by childhood allergies. But let me say opening this brew left no doubt what was the fruit in this Lambic! First, there's a cap, and it's on there. That off, there is the cork. Pull that, and it's the march of the raspberries. This beer pours up a nice full dimpled and frothy head, dies away to some nice lacing. I don't really know how to describe the mouth feel, it's not like I could relate it to another beer. Think raspberry soda. They were not shy on the carbonation either. I belched. Immediately. A couple of times. A desert beer, if you will. Maybe with a nice cheesecake. I think it's the first beer I ever had I might call amusing. I would not want to do a lot of this -- it's actually hard to call it beer and the alcohol content is quite light -- but I'm glad I tried it, and doubtless will do another from time to time.

2.65/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I shared a borrle of this with a friend of mine at a christmas party last night and took a few notes..

This is a nice looking beer if you can get past the color. it's somewhere between maroon and purple. A big fluffy pinkish head that stayed and laced the glass nicely.

The berry aroma was overpowering. It was like smelling a berry soda pop.

This didn't taste like any lambic I'd ever had (not that I've had that many) The rasberry flavor was over the top. It really was like a soda pop. There seemes like the tiniest bit of the musty lambic notes I was hoping to find, but I may have been imagining them. The flavor reminded me of Andre Cold Duck more than anything else.

The mouthfeel was pretty decent. A very dry and light body.

I probably won't drink this again. Too much of a wine cooler, not enough of a beer.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

This is a really big departure from my usual fare. The smell is very rich, almost can picture the big fat red raspberries. Kind of smells like burnt tires. Taste is tarty and fruity, wet horseblanket undertone (I got that from the Alstrom Bros review but man it's there!). Very drinkable and fun - almost soda with a kick!

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Wow! This is dessert in a bottle. Like raspberry syrup with carbonation. A definite departure from a traditional beer. It was very sweet, but the freshness of the raspberries made it easy and pleasant to drink. I could only have one bottle of this in a sitting, for fear of going into sugar shock. A great one to try however, especially after dinner. Would pair excellent with Brie cheese.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle bought from State Line and poured into Das Festhaus pint.

Where I live, I have to pay $10.00/bottle at the bar, or $110.00/case. Neither is good for such a sweet beer. State line charges half that much for a bottle. My wife loves this beer, so if I find it cheaper, I usually get as much as I can.

A: Beautiful deep, dark ruby red with a bubbly pink head. Good lacing.

S: Strong scent of sour raspberries, as expected.

T: Raspberries, more sweet than sour. Sweeter than the Kriek. Good amount of oak flavor also.

M: High carbonation and slightly syrupy.

D: This may be slightly too sweet for some, but if you can handle it, this is a great drink. It is hard to call it a beer, though.

My wife likes wine and I like beer, so we frequently take this or the Kriek when we dine out. It pairs very well with most desserts offered at nicer resturants.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Ah, Lindemans Framboise. I picked up a bottle of this and the Peche last month and they have been sitting in my fridge since then. I finally got around to drinking the Framboise tonight.

The beer pours a deep red color, almost like a red wine, but with a slight head. The aroma is a wonderful burst of raspberries. It does taste sweet, due to the raspberries, and really isnt the sort of beer that one would drink every day, but the flavor is great

I find it to be a good beer for after dinner.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Wanted to have my girlfriend try this style. I have been slowly getting her into beer. She is a wine girl mostly. Paired it with a dark chocolate cake with chocolate sauce inside.
Bought it by the 12oz. bottle early in the meal so as to warm it just a little. The bottle topped by a wine cork piqued her interest just enough to get us talking about lambic. Once we uncorked the smell of fresh raspberry was very apparent. Pouring into a pint glass for lack of a better choice allowed us to see the rich purple color which seemed darker then most stouts I've enjoyed.
First taste was surprisingly sweet followed by the distinct tartness I associate with lambic styled brews. Lots of oak and berry in this one. No earthen flavorings I could detect. Very firm like a mouth full of crushed berries. Almost expected to find the little seeds stuck in my teeth. After a few more sips and some chocolate cake the overall flavor changed mostly to the tart almost sour you get from welch's grape juice. (no comparison of flavors just that pucker you get)
Needless to say it was good and she enjoyed. Makes three beers she likes when she swore she hated beer altogether.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

355ml green bottle purchased at A-1 To-Go in Gardiner (after putting off buying one for a while...) Dark pinkish purple almost opaque body with about a finger of pink head. Smells entirely of raspberries. Tastes like raspberries almost entirely. Sweet and sour flavor. No hops to speak of. Medium to full in body. Tastes more like pop than beer though. A decent drink though. Not something I'd have all the time, but very drinkable and enjoyable. Surprised how much I like it, despite the fact that I'm not much of a raspberry fan.

Lindemans Framboise from Brouwerij Lindemans