Lindemans Framboise - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  2.50% ABV

2.5-4.0% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-01-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Framboise Alström Bros
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

What a beautiful beer!! I'd swear it was a wine (if I didn't know better). Has all the look and feel of wine. Attractive bottle; capped and corked. Worth the $12 for a bottle.

Appearance: This beer pours a dark purple-red in color with a creamy pink head. Great lacing.

Smell: A bit sour/ tangy fruit. Obviously Raspberry. The tartness in the smell is a bit intimidating until you sip it then ... Wow.

Taste: Sweet, smooth taste of gentle raspberries with the perfect blend of tart to tip the scale back. It literally makes my taste bud go nuts. The flavor jumps out on various parts of the tongue. Very interesting and complex. Truly a masterpiece!! If you hold it on your tongue too long the tart does start to take over. Otherwise, it’s nearly a 5.0 taste. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Pucker up! Very sweet and also tart. Smooth upfront like drinking juice with a nice dry finish of raspberry tart. Medium. Somewhat syrupy.

Drinkability: For me it is a bit too tart to expect to keep knocking them back. This is definitely a great sipping beer. Perfect for a celebratory occasion! Very classy tasty beer that can even be enjoyed by non-beer drinkers. I’d suggest cracking this open after a nice dinner to accompany your raspberry cheesecake. Enjoy!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jan 03, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: Plum colored, kind of cloudy, with a small head which mostly disappeared

Smell: Smells just like ripe raspberries

Taste: Tastes like raspberries

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, feels more like a champagne than a beer

drinkability: Very drinkable

marinebiostu, Jan 01, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

My first experience with this style. Pours a murky purplish color, rather opaque. 1/4 inch head fades very rapidly into a light lacing on the surface. The aroma is like fresh raspberries with a hint of tartness showing through as well. Medium bodied mouthfeel with an effervescent carbonation tingles on the tongue. Taste is explosive with a sweetness asserting itself first followed by the rush of raspberries and ending with a tartness not unlike a Sweet Tart. Quite an interesting beer really, and the aroma keeps drawing you in during the drinking experience. Very tasty.

LarryV, Jan 01, 2006

Lindemans Framboise Lambic
12 oz green bottle with tin foil and cork
Served in a flute glass

* New Year's Eve 2005 *

Pours a hazy red with a pink colored head on top. Trails of sticky lace decorate the glass. A truly beautiful looking beer.

Very intense nose that screams berry madness with a distant yeast funk.

Taste has a nice carbonated punch with a juicy fruit blast. Rasberry and strawberry flavors take over the palate. Very sweet and tart with a clean refreshing finish.

Enjoyable on all accounts. The appearance, taste and drinkability levels are all high. Not a beer that I would plan on having multiple of, but a style that I could appreciate any day of the week.

Hibernator, Dec 31, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +13%

This Lambic poured a concord grape purple with some dazzling red highlights and a fluffy pink head. Smelled of my mom’s raspberry jam that was exceptionally fruity and unquestionably fresh. Tastes of slightly tart freshly picked wild raspberries and a slight pastey yeast. Mouth feel is medium bodied with a medium, small bubbled carbonation.

DarkerTheBetter, Dec 28, 2005

Often the source of controversy within beer circles, lambics seem to be divided between adoration and dismissal as "a woman's drink."

Lindemans Framboise features a vibrant, rich red hue with no head retention. What head there is tends to be more fizzy in a soda-like sense than what you are used to seeing on a 'normal' beer.

Taste is astounding. As lambics go, this one is more on the sweet side, without a lot of the sourness. Just the right amount of carbonation (a good bit less than soda), as well. Lovely rich raspberry flavors wash all over your palate.

Deliciously refreshing, I could drink this all day long. Goes down so easily, its like sipping fruit juice. Featuring a low alcohol level as well. Super high drinkability. Absolutely THE perfect beer for people who say they 'dont like beer.'

chOAKbarrell, Dec 25, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +13%

~Pours a deep redish color, foiled and capped with a cork, I've always loved the presentation and the labels on Lindeman's products. Fuzzy head that lasted a little while with lovely light pink lacing all down the glass.
~Smell.... raspberries. Lots and lots o raspberries, pretty tart, and somehow sweet too. Just like raspberries. Delicious.
~Before I even think about tasting... its all raspberries, like the smell, reminds me of raspberry flavored candy, like a Jolly Rancher, very tart all throughout, more than I expected, or remembered. I simply have a hard time calling this a beer, but it is so good. Great for an afternoon treat, late night cap, and I really like mixing it with Sam Adams Chocolate Bock.
~Good carbonation, not too much, about the right amount. Don't really notice the body throught the taste, but its medium and good.
~Like I said, I enjoy this beer a lot, but can't imagine drinking it a lot. Definitely the prefect drink on the right occasions.

objectivemonkey, Dec 24, 2005
3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

The bottle was corked with a foil wrapping on the top of a 0.750 L bottle.

Appearance: The body is crimson/maroon with a 1/2" fuchsia head. The head is very tight with small bubbles.

Smell: It smells like a tart raspberry pie. Very sweet.

Taste: The taste is VERY sweet like a Jolly Rancher candy. It leaves a tart aftertaste, but leaves my mouth wanting more of the sweet raspberry taste.

Mouthfeel: You can feel the carbonation and it's fairly uniform across the top of the tongue - effervescent and refreshing.

Drinkability: I want to have more, but I think I'll switch to something a little less sweeter.

Notes: This beer is very very sweet. I would enjoy it on a hot summer afternoon or possibly as a dessert-type beer. For the style of beer, it does its job very well. I would recommend the bottle for a party of two (my friend and I split it). After half a bottle, I was at the point where I really enjoyed it, but was ready for a change.

BlitzShadow, Dec 17, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Interesting color I could best describe as an even blend between pink lemonade and grapejuice. Lots of carbonation short of champagne like but powerfull. head is pink and leaves plenty of stringy lacing.

Smell is a masterpiece of super strong raspberries, yeast. Really hard to detect any "beer" in there.

This reminded me of tart hard candy, bitter yet sweet enough to make it appealing. Raspberries are huge and dominate. Carbonation suits the taste perfectly, aggressive enough to challenge the sour body and it finishes off a rather syrupy beer with some crispness.

Pucker up baby! A beer that I've grown to enjoy. For me its like Uni at a sushi bar. Most likely you'll hate it at first, hell it took me about 7 or 8 tries before I learned to like it. This is one to go into with an open mind and don't expect any beer qualities.

DogFood11, Dec 14, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had had Lindeman's several times before, but never on tap, and I had never rated it, so here goes.
Absolutely crimson/blood red, this beer, even while poured into a champagne flute, was headless. The smell was obviously dominated by sweet fruits, namely raspberry (duh), and possibly some yeast. The taste was the same, extremely sweet, almost syrupy, with raspberry tart and sweet taste leadingt the way. It wasn't thick, or terribly carbonated, but I did it this beer a 3.5 on drinkability, only because I suspect I could drink about 2 before developing type 2 diabetes. This is a SWEET beer; you're not going ot find many like this. Overall, excellent.

sinistrsam, Dec 11, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

First lambic I've ever had, unless ya count the Sam Adam's Cranberry Lambic in their holiday pack. Wanted to go for something different than the beers and styles that I usually drink. Didn't know what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised when all was said and done!

Beer poured a nice, deep purple. Lots of head, decent lacing, and some piece of yeast (I guess) were present throughout my sipping. Bottle had a cork and a cap too - something I've never seen together before. Anyways, the taste was more tart than I expected, but there were sudden bitter and exciting bursts throughout. No two swills were quite alike and it seems like this is what lambics are most known for and most remembered by.

This beer was a decent introduction to a new style for me. I look forward to trying out the other flavors available in my liquor store in the near future!

JerzDevl2000, Dec 08, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This product screams of fresh crushed raspberries on the nose accompanied by a subtle malt character. It is somewhat simple & one dimensional, sweet from the fruit and bold, not to mention delicious. There is a pleasant sourness paired well with the acidity giving this concoction great drinkability. This Lambic tasted like it was bottled yesterday: fresh, bright, intense and flamboyant. At 4% ABV, there is plenty of room for more alcohol within. With the generous residual sugars onboard, a bit more Alcohol would probably help round out the flabbiness here. I had this essentially as desert after a spicy Thai meal, and it was a great way to finish the evening. Although this product lacks the sophistication of a more profound Lambic, it's fun and delicious.

barknee, Dec 04, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

This is the first fruit lambic I have ever tried, and it was highly unusual for me. I was expecting more of a fruit beer taste, like a Raspberry Wheat. This is not to say that I was disappointed; quite the opposite.

It came in a 12 oz mini magnum, corked and foiled. Fancy!

It poured into the glass a deep rose color, and had a thin pink head that dissipated quickly, but left a decent pink lacing as I drank it.

I smelled tons of raspberry, and that's pretty much it. No hop or malt character at all. It smelled like a nice raspberry syrup. Quite tart on the nose.

The taste was not at all a departure from the smell. Heavy on the raspberry, but it did taste very natural, and not at all like raspberry flavoring to me. It tasted and drank very much like champagne; tart, highly carbonated, sweet. Little aftertaste.

All in all, quite drinkable. Though it isn't my favorite type of beer to drink, that's no reason to knock the score. In the right time and place, I'd definitely drink some more.

Smittysguinness, Dec 02, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Was able to acquire this beer at a beer store in Williamstown outta pure dumb luck.

A = Poured a dark red. Very cloudy with little to no head.

S = You could smell the rasberries. Very tart smell.

T = Sour!!! Whoa you can taste the sourness. When it warms, the sourness fades a little and you get a nice short honey like finish.

M = Not very carbonated so you can taste the flavours.

D = Very nice. But you cannot drink more than one per session. This seems to be a much more flavoursome Framboise than Belle Vue framboise. BV was much more subdued.

BeerNutta, Nov 28, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Deep coral-fuchsia color with a thin but lasting pink head served in a regular champagne glass at Firken in Libertyville, IL.

Delicate raspberries in the nose. Sweet and tart simultaneously in both smell and taste. Raspberry syrupy.

Mouthfeel is champagne like, crisp, dry, and slightly tart at the finish.

Drinkability is super high if you can handle fruity beers like this.

DaPeculierDane, Nov 22, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to cmaruschak for the chance to sample this one. Served from a 750 to a flute.

Appearance: Burgundy red pour with a pink head.

Smell: All raspberries (tart) with some sugar sweetness to balance. Very aromatic and fruity. Intense and enjoyable.

Taste: Raspberry tartness followed by some sugary sweetness. Reminds me of the raspberry bubbalicious I used to chew when I was a kid. A fun balance of sweet and tart.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with lively carbonation.

Drinkability: No off flavors noted. The tart sweetness demands you to drink this slowly and in small portions. It is very enjoyable and would be a good way to introduce non-BA's to craft beer. An enjoyable treat to be savored.

mattcrill, Nov 20, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

As soon as I pop the cork on this beer I get a sticky sweet mix of sugar and raspberry, then a bit of sharp raspberry skin comes through as well. The beer pours with a dirty pink colored head and is an opaque dirty pinkish tinged deep cherry color. The aroma is dominated by candy-sweet notes of raspberry, a hint of tartness, and a nice note of raspberry skins and seeds, the last of which adds a bit to the complexity of an otherwise simplistic beverage (not sure I can call this one beer).

Oh gawd, the beer is even sweeter than I was expecting, how unfortunate, did it have to be this sweet. Amazingly enough the sweetness actually drowns out the raspberry flavor at first. As my palate becomes a little more adjusted to the sticky sweetness the full raspberry character becomes noticeable in the front of this beer; there is a solid raspberry pulp note as well as a bit of tannic raspberry seed/ skin, and perhaps a bit of the tartness. The finish though is initially dominated by the sticky sweetness, but slowly a bit of tart raspberry character comes to take over the long lingering finish.

This would definitely seem appropriate over some waffles or such, and I can see this pairing at least somewhat well with dense flourless chocolate cake, but on it's own it is just too sweet, and most egregiously so far from anything that is Lambic, to really be enjoyable.

Gueuzedude, Oct 30, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured this from a bottle into champaign flutes. Not sure if this is the appropriate glassware, but it looked good this way. Brilliant red color, very clear, with huge pink head.

Smelled of raspberries of course, but with a nice yeasty undertone. Taste was very sweet, like raspberry pop.

We had this as a before-dinner drink, and everyone was pretty happy with it. My mother can't believe it's actually beer. I recommend as a dessert beer or a beer to give people who don't think they like beer.

TurdFurgison, Oct 30, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +19%

Aroma: I could smell the berries coming out of it without even getting near the bottle once opened. Fantastic bright raspberry smell.
Apearence: the pour produces a great head. It is pink and lacey as it should be for the style. The vibrance of the pink is a nice suprise
Taste: very sweet and mildly tart. the tart/sourness is not overpowering the sweetness, so the berry flavor rings true. The taste lingers for some time, which inevitably calls you back for another sip. Little to no hop character, but this is not a detraction.
Mouthfeel: Light syrplike quality on the tongue and palate. However the finish is clean and bright. No lasting coating on the tongue.
Overall: not a beer you'd drink alot of, however a great example of the lambic style and the use of berries. Really showcases the fruit and the lambic tart style.

warchez, Oct 26, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Sampled a million times but never reviewed. This is one of those beers that takes me back about 12 years when I was first discovering the World of Beer. I still find it very agreeable.

Draft pour into a flute reveals a deep ruby garnet color with a creamy pink head. Moderate lacing with a lasting ring. (Lasts for the 20 minutes it took to finish anyway).

Rich ripe rasberry aroma is sweet and tart, making me salivate at it's tangy goodness. The intense rasberry aroma is almost too strong to be real. Is this artifificially enhanced? If not, than bravo for the most intense rasberry aroma ever encountered.

Flavor is lightly tart and acidic with a massive gush of crushed ripe red rasberries. Faint hints of musty minerality and farm aroma are there, but very subtle. A bit too sweet, yet retains balance. Goes famously with almost anything containing chocolate.

Body is medium, but light and fluffy on the tongue with tiny prickling carbonation. Slick and silky palate. To sweet to drink alot, but not when mixed 30/70 with Young's Chocolate Stout on nitro. Mmmm.

AlexJ, Oct 25, 2005
2.65/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep burgandy, with small light pink head that does not hang around. Lot's of carbonation visible. Glass is nicely laced.
Smell is raspberries. Not sweet and fresh ones though.
Initial taste is of raspberries, that leads to some serious bitterness. Not good hop bitterness though. Bitterness that makes your lips pucker.
Mouthfeel is too carbonated.
Not a very drinkable beer due to bitterness and carbonation.
This is my first lambic and I didn't like it. Maybe it's a taste that I haven't acquired yet. I didn't dislike it enough not to try it again in the future though. For now I will leave this beer to the females.

wcudwight, Oct 21, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A thin light pink head tops a dark red body. Delicate swirling lace.

Smells of tart fresh raspberries.

As for taste, the sweetness of the raspberries is right upfront, which gives way to an underlying tartness. Despite the tart fruit in both the smell and taste, the finish is surprisingly smooth and not too dry. The body is a bit syrupy, but still light. Full of interesting contradictions and raspberry goodness.

The fresh raspberries form the heart of this beer. It makes a great desert drink, but is too fruit laden for session drinking. An all time favorite of my special lady-friend.

Shovelbum, Oct 17, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +26.8%

I'm reviewing this simultaneously with the New Glarus Raspberry Tart, raspberry vs. raspberry.

The Fram-bwaz pours a darker, thinner raspberry color than the New Glarus, with a nice pink head and pretty good lacing. My girlfriend is squealing in delight.

The Lindemans smells incredible, of very fresh raspberries, as opposed to the Raspberry Tart's candied fruit, with an underlying yeast funkiness that complements the raspberry's tartness well. Taste is along the same lines, intense fresh raspberry flavor, with some yeasty hijinks going on in the background. They go together surprisingly well. The mouthfeel is fizzy, like sparkling grape juice. This is a fun beer.

I've heard many people say that Lindemans is the candy, bullshit version of lambics, and that real ones are sourer. This is my first lambic, so I can't really review this in style, but against New Glarus' Raspberry Tart, it stands up quite well.

I had this with some cheddar cheese, and it really makes the cheese taste great, for an instant almost like mustard.

battlekow, Oct 07, 2005

Poured into a tall Lindemans champagne style glass... nice.

Incredible purple color with a nice full pillowy pink head and very active carbonation ... yeah, I'm man enough to drink it. Intense tart raspberry fruit aroma and flavor with just a subtle wild lambic yeast character underneath. Medium bodied but very airy at the same time.

An awesome appertif or dessert beer... also, one I use for people who always say "I hate beer and won't drink any kind". 100% success rate in changing peoples minds.

Per Label: "Local Barley, Unmalted Wheat, Wild Yeast" & "Lambic Aged in Oak and Raspberries Added Creating Second Fermentation"

($12.95 / 12 oz / 355 ml Small Green Champagne Style bottle - Parish Cafe in Boston, MA)

(25.4 oz / 750 ml Green Champagne Style Bottle -- corked, capped, and wrapped with dark red raspberry colored foil)
(M. Izurieta)

RBorsato, Oct 04, 2005
3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Served in a Lindeman's flute.

Appearance is amazing, though rather shocking at first. The color is a mesmerizing cloudy ruby red. A light head that held for a short time.

A strong, raspberry smell that permeates the room. The taste, like the smell, is dominated by raspberries. A tad too sweet for me, but good. Finishes with a light better twang which is one of the few reminders that this is beer.

Very light bubbles that give a nice mouthfeel. Very drinkable with dessert. I had with Swiss chocolate, which was a good combination.

atigerlife, Oct 02, 2005