Lindemans Framboise - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  2.50% ABV

2.5-4.0% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-01-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Framboise Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +13.8%

There is a lot of similarities between this beer on tap and in the bottle. But, there are some distinct differences. The beer is just as tart, sour, sweet, and tangy as ever, but the bottle version seems to hold a more viscous body, mainly to the lack of induced carbonation that I get from the tap. Less fresh, but more musky. More of a Flander's red flavor and texture in general. A little more dusty, woodsy, vineous, and earthy; maybe from the cork and complex cellering. Though fresher and ripe with fruit from the tap, I prefer the older and more raw flavor from the bottle. Both are winners.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from corked 12oz bottle a hazy red-amber with a large reddish head of foam that dissipated

The smell is definitely raspberry but it's not, by any means, a strong nose. Pretty subtle to me actually.

The taste is a wonderful sweet but not too sweet raspberry that has a nice sour twang in the finish and just does all sorts of nice things to my palate. Yummy. Seriously, I could drink this all night if I was in the mood. ;^)

Bottom line: If you like fruit beers, this Framboise is one you can not over look. I love it!

[ serving type: bottle ]

4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance: Vivid juicy magenta, but also a dark red wine tint. Pink foamy head that dissipates into a nice purplish lavender lacing that leaves patches on the glass.

Smell: My first fruit lambic review. This smells like ripe rasberries. Real raspberries. Sweet, sour, light vinegar like quality.

Taste: Rush of fresh over ripe raspberries, dissolves in your mouth into a very very light malted grain and a hint of hops if you try. Finishes very clean leaving you wanting more.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied, juicy, lightly carbonated and smooth. Finishes very clean, leaving your mouth refreshed.

Drinkability: This beer is amazing. The flavor of fresh raspberries pours through and is delicious. It is cleaner than a juice, it's not sticky. Cleansing beer quality on the palate, very drinkable. The ultimate cross over beverage for the malt beverage - as in Zima and Smirnoff Ice drinkers.

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%

This beer was tasted in a flute from the 750mL bottle.

This beer pours a deep ruby with a tint of purple (tm) with a frothy pink head. The head laces nicely and leaves a nice ring the whole way down the glass. The smell is sweet and sour raspberries. The taste is a sweet raspberry wheat beer with some underlying sourness. Mouthfeel is nicely thick with good carbonation. Overall highly drinkable, one to pick up again and a good crossover beer.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance- deep purpleish red with a small pink head.

Smell- sweet and fruity. definitely smell raspberries.

Taste- sweet and confusing. Hardly any beer flavor, Raspberries beyond belief. Hard to review this beer from a beer drinks vocabulary.

Mouthfeel- feels like apple juice.

Drinkability- very easy to drink.

I'd rather have a beer that tastes like a beer. But I must admit this stuff taste very good. Just isn't my idea of a brew.

Gulp Gulp,
PH

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours with a very nice ruby red color. Decent amount of head has a large tint of the red color to work on the white of the head. Carbonaton is light, but bubbles stick on the glass instead of moving through the beer. Moderate lacing.

Super sweet aroma without being overly saccarin sweet. Almost like taking a nice noseful of raspberry jam. No notes of either malt of hops.

Flavor kicks you in the mouth with raspberry. As a lambic, it is expected to have such an overwhelming fruit taste, and did not let me down. The tartness of raspberries is extremely present.

A little weak in the area of feel. This lambic is watery, but does leave the taste in your mouth.

This would be a fantastic choice for a dessert beer. I would suggest having one of these with either a nice rich piece of chocolate cake or a pice of plain cheesecake.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

Served in a cross between a pilsner glass and a champagne flute, this is very sweet stuff. More like a wine than a beer. Yet, not really wine-like either. It is actually like a spiked punch maybe.

I always enjoy it as a lite, end of the night beer. It goes down smooth and fruity, but this is clearly not for everyone. Ask for a sample, if possible, before ordering.

The smell is literally like pureed raspberries. Very strong. I find the raspberry to be much stronger in flavor than the cherry or peach flavors also available.

Good stuff, but has to be drunk in moderation.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Served from a 750 ml cap & Cork bottle.

AP: Looks like raspberry juice or a red wine. Thin pink/purpleish head that was gone in about 3 minutes.

Smell: Raspberry and cream with a sour, tangy yeast scent. Very nice.

Taste: Fizzy Raspberry juice. Smooth and refreshing in a soda pop kinda way. This is a great desert beer, very low alcohol but the wild belgian yeast gives it nice complexity.

MF: Refreshing as hell,Lively but with a luxurious, creamy finish.

DA: This is something even the honey's can love!

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep, rich, rich, rich, incredibly dense red with little carbonation and a small pink head. Looked like no other beer I've ever seen. Aroma was berry all the way plus a good bit of earthiness in the finish. Also some licorice, maybe? Pretty amazing. Very sweet berry flavor, almost like juice. Barely tasted like beer, and in fact one of my fondest memories about this one is being at a beer bar with someone who swore up and down that she did not like beer but thought this was quite tasty. Anyhoo, also had a bit of tartness and some yeast too. For a funky Belgian it is light on phenolics or else they are buried under the berries and sweetness. Mouthfeel was a light-to-medium body and a bit still (though I wouldn't really call it "flat" as I think that implies lifelessness). Drinkability was good; wouldn't want to drink a gallon of it, but it does go down easy.

I hate to use the word loosely, but this comes as close to a unique beer as I've ever had. I can see where it wouldn't be some folks' style, but I really liked it.

4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance- It is a dark red, with a very small head that quickly disappears leaving a a thin ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell- Smells strongly of fresh rapsberries. Has a very distinctive tart to sour smell.

Taste- Raspberries all the way through. It's sweet at first, although the sweetness is eventually balanced out with sour notes. Overall, very sweet but the tartness is definitely there.

Mouthfeel- Very creamy and fizzy.

Drinkability- Very drinkable, but as others have pointed out, probably not something you would drink alot of.

Overall, I was very impressed with this beer. Being my first Lambic, I must say if this was any indication I am definitely looking foward to trying others.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Looks like a glass of cherry soda with a dainty pink head on top; looks pretty at first but the retention is not great nor is there much lacing - like I said...soda

Smell: Modest aroma of raspberry and, if you take deep snifs, you can also pick up some funky yeast aromas

Taste: Starts with a juicy raspberry flavor that bursts forth with sweetness just after the swallow; in a few seconds, your mouth starts to pucker from the sour balancing notes, but this lambic is primarily about the sweetness and the sugary flavors wind up predominating

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied; very effervescent

Drinkability: Pleasant enough for a few sips but not something that can be drunk in any quantity

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

355ml bottle

Pours a hazy raspberry red with a creamy pink head that fades. Thick lacing on the glass.

Fragrant raspberry aroma with a very distinct tartness. Smells delicious.

Slightly sweet raspberry taste upfront washed over by a wave of tartness. Pucker up.

Full body, slightly syrupy. Zippy carbonation.

This is always a favorite desert beer. I have consumed much of this over the years and don't plan to stop.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

my first Lambic, this one pours a bright dark pink-red, basically the color of raspberry juice. a fizzy head that soon subsides into a ring around the top, lacing left behind.

smell is almost completely dominated by raspberries but there is a faint hint of wheat as well.

taste is initially a huge burst of pefectly fresh tasting raspberries, delicious and sweet, then a tartness arises to stop the sweetness from being cloying, this is all followed by a mild malted barley and wheat flavor in the background, but really there is very little to remind the drinker that this is indeed a beer, a truly remarkable flavor profile that is unlike anything i've ever tasted and certainly unlike any American attempt at the style.

the mouthfeel on this beer is abosolutely amazing, almost like carbonated cream, it is wonderful and invites another sip immediately.

drinkability is the only weak point of this as it is not something i would want to consume large amounts of, it is however, highly drinkable in the short term, in fact, i think i am drinking mine far too quickly.

overall, i am really glad i gave this beer a chance, i now have a new favorite dessert beer, i am looking forward to trying the other fruit flavors.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Found on tap at Cherry Hill Brasserie in Columbia, MO.
Poured into a fluted champagne glass. There was no head when it arrived at my table. Nice maroon/red color. It smells of raspberry and that's about all I could smell. Pretty much the sam egoes for the taste. It was very fizzy, almost like champagne. It tasted good but due to the price and the fruit taste, I don't think it's very drinkable.

4.7/5  rDev +22.1%

I was surprised to find this on tap at all! I had it at the Gingerman in Austin. Wonderful nose, crystal clear body, color and head were perfect.

I have always enjoyed this from the bottle, but having it on tap moves it to another level entirely.

An excellent dessert beer, or as I had it, the last beer of my session.

Available in Pints and halfs as well.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

poured a deep reddish purple, lots of bubbles and a thin bubbly head that dissapeared rapidly.

Smells strongly of rasberries, almost smells like sparkling grape juice.

Tastes like it smells, bubbly and fruity, strong berry tones almost like a sparkling red wine.

light mouthfeel, very crisp and balanced.

A good interpretation of the style. Excellent for special desserts, a beer I would like to drink again, but not an everyday kind of stlye.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Of all the lambics that I have tried, Lindeman's Framboise is my fave. Maybe I'm just particularly fond of rasberries. As soon as the cork is removed the rasberry aroma fills the air. It pours a nice light purple,pink and a nice off white head lingers. The nose is nothing but rasberry. How many times have I mentioned that berry already? While I'm a dark strong Belgian fan, I can really aquire a taste for this. It's tart/ sweet flavor keeps me coming back for another sip. It's light abv, a mere 4%, should allow most people to enjoy an entire 750 ml bottle with little ill effect.
For some who don't like the taste of beer, be it maltiness or hop bitterness, this may be a good choice. If it weren't for it's steep price, (at least in my area), I'd keep this in stock at all times. Alas, I only have this brew at one of two bar/resturants around here. Reason being, they're the only places that also serve a New York style cheese cake. When I do dessert, and pair a Lindeys Fram with that N.Y. cheese cake , I'm telling you, 'It's over, Johnny'. Try it!

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a delightly ruby red with a good inch of largely carbonated head. Raspberry puree overwhelmes the senses with the ever so slight hint of wheat.

Sweet and succulent. Pure notes of fresh raspberries rule the day with this brew as they obviously should. Great carbonation and in a word to sum up this brew, refreshing. A wonderful change of pace beer. Terrific to cleanse the palate and keep you going especially if you're sampling many beers in one sitting. (Like I usually try to do).

May get a little tought to drink after one or two because of the residual sugar but like I said a great palate cleansing change of pace, or better yet served for dessert.

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have had this beer several times, but never on tap. This was something I was very excited to find.

There was little to no head, which was expected and it was served in a barley wine glass, which was good. The color was a dark burgendy that you could not see through.

The smell was a very rich, tart rasberry. It smelled great, so much different from a normal beer. It's hard to believe this is a beer.

The taste was great! A nice tart rasberry flavor with a nice sweet aftertaste. The mouthfeel was thicker than a standard beer, more like a barley wine. I think this makes a very nice desert beer. My wife can have a piece of cake and I will have one of these.

If you get a chance to try this on tap, DO IT! It makes all the difference.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: My second favorite thing about this drink is the color. I like the nice red body with a light red head.
S: This is my favorite thing about the beer it smells increadibly strong of raspberries and very sugary.
T: Over all it tastes good, however in all honesty this is not what I want my beer to taste like. So with this in mind I still would say that it's good for a dessert drink with the intense raspberry flavor to it.
M: Very Light a highly carbonated that fizzes on your tounge.
D: Here's the thing with the high carbonation in fills up my stomach very fast and I couldn't really drink more then one in a sitting.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

This is my first BA review. I've been reading for a number of years, but finally have turned 21 and I think I'm ready. I've tried this beer before, and am drinking it today out of a 750 mL bottle just below room temperature.

Alas, I lack the nice tulip glasses that so enhance this experience. Pouring into a standard cup, I get about 2.5 fingers of head, dissipating quickly, but leaving nice trailings. The beer is a lovely shade of red, resembling cranberry juice (the watered down kind, not the pure juice).

The lambic smells SWEET. I can pick up the raspberry scent from a good three feet away. The lack of hops is noticeable in the sugary smells. Raspberry dominates most of the smell, with an extremely subtle hint of alcohol and grain.

The taste starts out sweet and tart. The tartness, combined with the bubbles, almost numbs the tongue. I can feel my tastebuds expand as I swish this one around. There is very little else but a strong raspberry palette, which is exactly what I expected from this beer. Definately a beer for the non beer drinkers, but I think something a bit hoppier is more my style. The aftertaste lingers for minutes, diminishing into a fruit-juice like sweetness towards the back of the mouth.

As stated, the mouthfeel is slightly numbing. The acidity of the raspberries plus the carbonation makes this feel more like a warm soda than a good beer. Not the most pleasant for sipping...

...However, it gives the beer great drinkability (provided the sugar doesn't make you feel too sickly). You can gulp this down with little regrets of lost opportunity.

I'm going to make this colder and try it later. I'll update the review should it be better cold.

*edit 2011*
Drinkability turned into "overall" and I don't think this merits a 4.5 overall. It is very drinkable, but not amazing.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a lovely reddish purple color with...a pink head? Going to take a while to get used to that part of the brew. Very aromatic brew, with a sweetened nose full of raspberries.

Taste is not unlike a few of the better non-alcoholic sparkling raspberry drinks I've had. A lightly puckering sourness at first, backing off to a wonderful berry-filled sweetness. Would have completely missed the barley, if the bottle hadn't mentioned it and I was looking for it. Barely noticable, but it provides a nice earthy springboard from which the berries can leap forward.

Tasty and wonderful, in a rather candy-like way. Rather drinkable, though I think the sweetness would get to me after about two bottles or so.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Little magnum bottle. Bought for the GF, but had to try myself. Not normally a fan of fruit beers, but was curious and enjoyed it.

Was surprised I had to bust out the corkscrew to open, but well worth the extra hassle. Pours a nice raspberry red. Great aroma of fresh raspberries and tart.

Taste is overwhelmingly strong raspberry. My first lambic so I didn't know what to expect. Resembled more a low alcohol raspberry wine than a beer.

Overall impression, if you are looking for something sweet to drink, look no further. My GF has request me to buy much more of this.

4.93/5  rDev +28.1%

Got the Lambic Framboise on-tap at dba in Nawlins. Served in a tall 8 oz. glass. An expensive drink, but worth it.

Pours a red-maroon color off the tap. Looked almost like a red pop. Didn't taste like it though.

A fruity smell, with a lot there. Some raspberries; a great smell.

Taste - awesome; just a great taste; sweetness and sourness; a good mix of both with a little bit of wine taste

Mouthfeel - goes down great

Drinkability - tried sipping on the beer for a while to really enjoy the taste, but I kept wanting more; could definitely drink a few glasses of this in a night

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Poured into snifter.
A pop of raspberry hits as the cork is released.
Darker red than the cherry Kriek beer. No head after initial pour.
Taste was very fruity. Like a wine cooler but richer and a bit thicker. Some hints of malt, but I had to pay close attention.
Good feel, fizzy, smooth.
A bit hard to drink...very sweet.

Lindemans Framboise from Brouwerij Lindemans