Lindemans Framboise - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  2.50% ABV

2.5-4.0% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-01-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Framboise Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance – I’m just starting to try this style so excuse my surprise, but man is this thing red. Purple-red, really, exactly like a raspberry. The head is the same damn color. It all looks cool as heck, though.

Smell – This has a very pungent aroma. The raspberries are pure and jump right out of the glass. I can’t smell anything except that strong raspberry aroma.

Taste – This is sweet and super sour raspberries, like a Shock Tart. I recently gave up eating hard candy, which I love, for dental reasons but this brings it all back. Terrific!

Mouthfeel – The lip-smacking cheek-sucking sweet and sour candy notes make you stand up and take note. This is light to medium in the body and a real “holder.”

Drinkability – I’m convinced! I loved this stuff.

RoyalT, Feb 22, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

The fragrance is profound -- fresh and vibrant with LOTS of raspberry. The aroma begins to take over a small room shortly after cracking the corked and capped bottle. Bubbles are tiny and vigorous. The color of the brew is perfectly raspberry with a pink sunset colored head that leaves gently sporadic lacings on the glass. I am unable to discern any of the usual properties of beer in the smell. All the malt, wheat, hops, and yeast are masked by the rich infusion of fruit. There is perhaps a slight hint of grapefruit citrus and banana in the nose.

The taste is of tart fruit with a pleasantly sour finish. This beer is unique, celebratious and fun but I couldn't make a habit of it. For all its charm, it's not exactly a session beer, is it? I bet some good framboise would go well over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. An ice cream float perhaps? Ooooo...gotta try that.

RedDiamond, Feb 21, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

It be red. Really red, with a really small red tinged head.

Smells like chocolate, nuts, and bannana, J/K. I mean raspberry. A lot of raspberry.

Tastes like, well, raspberry. A lot of raspberry. Sickly sweet, but that is the nature of this beast. My wife loves it. I can take it in limited doses. Finishes dry.

Mouthfeel is like a coating of sugar. A great after dinner beverage.

Drinakable to the end. No perception of alcohol at all. Lots of fruit. Couldn't do this one often though.

yankeeheel, Feb 17, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

this has got to be one of my favorite fruit beers...pours a deep decadent red with a nice thick pink head ...the aroma of fresh berries jumps right up into your nose...the flavor is intense full bodied raspberry with just a aftertaste hint of malt to let you know you are still drinking beer....it is tart with a decent bite...this is defintely a good one to use as an alternative to an apartif or dessert wine....this one sort of has gotten the wrap of girly beer as we usually recommend it to our non-beer crazed friends of the female persuasion...and i have yet to have one of them not say they love it and order it all the time...i really love the true fruitiness of this beer though....i can imagine it making a nice spring picnic wine.

hollicetales, Feb 04, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Very deep raspberry color with a small head that lasted throughout. Lace was present along the glass. The smell of this leaps out at me. Very strong fruity smell. The taste is intensely fruity. Very sweet upfront and tart in the finish. But the tartiness of the fruit isn't as strong as I would have thought. I think this is because of the yeast flavor that comes in the finish. It also brings out a dryness in the end. The flavor holds in my mouth well after I have finished drinking. The body is really smooth and the flavors work well. I could not drink this too often or too much at once because of the intensity of the fruit flavor (and the price) but it is good to have once in awhile. I don't know if these are beers or wines or what, but they are good.

granger10, Jan 31, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

OK, this is my first time giving a Lambic a try. Actually got it for my wife who does not like beer much, plus I did want to give it a whirl. Well needless to say the raspberries where too much for her, so I drank the majority of it.

The presentation was very nice with a metal cap and a cork underneath in a 750 ML bottle. After opening it I could not believe it, wow, raspberry essence overwhelmed me! The pour produced a deep red brew with a pink colored head and had nice lacing through out. The smell is about the same now as it was on opening, lots of raspberries. The beers taste is all about the berries, with a very sweet flavor to it. It feels more like a soda based on the amount of carbonation and the very strong berry flavor.

Must say that I don’t think I am a fruit beer fan, but definitely would like to try a few others before I have a final decision on the matter. Over all it is a nice/interesting brew if you want to try something different. Not sure I would run out to get it again but might be a fun brew to have around when friends are around.

Stimack, Jan 29, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

First lambic I've tried yet, and I like it. I love the appearance on this beer. A darkish brick-red color with nice carbonation. Very nice. Smell is just plain wonderful. It's like an entire garden of raspberries up your nose. Just shear bliss. Taste is quite tartful. I like the aftertaste though, it's got that same aftertaste when you eat raspberries. Granted it is good, but I wouldn't want to drink 2 or 3 more of these. Wouldn't mind having one every now and then though. Good fruit beer.

necoadam, Jan 29, 2004
2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

Presentation- a heavy green bottle with a cork under the cap. It had a rich raspberry aroma. The head was pink and the color was reddish grape. The lace was streaky. The taste was very sweet and fruity and well carbonated. Alcohol was noticeable in both the aroma and taste. This beer just wasn't suited to my tastes (or visa versa) and I don't believe I finished it. I realize it's a complex, highly rated beer but it tasted too sweet and fruity, almost like soda pop (albeit potent soda pop). Maybe I'm just not worthy.

genaro, Jan 28, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Tasted a few ounces from the glass my wife had .
Nice deep red appearance, great looking carbonation present..no head to speak off.
Great tart raspberry smnell and a little nice sourness.
Taste is very refreshing ..fresh wild raspberry REAL raspberry, Ive tasted many fruit beers were the fruit definatlly tasted artificial..this was the real thing.
Very refreshing and bubbly on the tongue.
This is certanlly drinkable, but its too sweet to have many..a great refresher..in the middle of a beer session.

Reidrover, Jan 19, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

I heave to say, even people who don't really drink any other beer have a soft spot for this one. The only foray into lambics (or Belgians) that most people ever have, and there's a reason for the draw. Presented in a corked bottle (normal bottle cap, not wired). Pours a deep pinkish-purple with a frothy white head and substantial carbonation. Nose is, pure and simple, fresh raspberries. Taste is more of the same - sweetened raspberries up front, with a slightly acidic lambic finish that builds to a very acidid, puckery aftertaste. An amazing beverage, definitely beyond the bounds of what most traditonally consider a beer. Serve for special occasions, since it's definitely not for everyday drinking.

ElGordo, Jan 17, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a dark purplish red.

Smells of overpowering raspberries and wood

Taste is a big raspberry punch in the taste buds. Tastes both sweet and tart, and lots of carbonation.
Has a cork/wood background taste too.

Mouthfeel is good.

Tasty, too much to drink all night though.

A dessert beer.

Zorro, Jan 17, 2004
3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

I can't believe this is considered beer. These beers with corks should be called lite wines. Undertones of raspberries is a lie. It's full of raspberry tastiness and quite tart on the palate. Definitely a good buy if you're into fruit beer. Probably be a good brew to break the ice with chicks, expensive too. I'd give this slush a better overall if it tasted more like a beer.

stoutman, Jan 07, 2004
3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a glowing ruby, with a fizzy little pink head that goes away quickly. This resembles more of an Italian Soda (seltzer water with syrup) than a proper lambic.

Aroma is very strong raspberries with a touch of lambic sourness, far underneath the cloying sweetness that overrides it.

Taste finds a bit more sourness, at least on the finish, but still is far too sweet for me -- I don't have a sweet tooth at all, and this is just a bit too much.

Mouthfeel is very thin.

Drinkability, I suppose I could drink more, but with something this cloying, why would I want to?

I think it's time for me to try a gueuze.

These fruit lambics are just a bit too sweet for me. Still, this might not be a bad way to introduce people into the style, and maybe in the summer, as a dessert drink, this could find favor.

ithacabaron, Jan 04, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

Very sweet with the taste of true raspberries. The aroma is certainly an indication of the flavor. The beer leaves a syrupy texture on the tongue. An impressive beer, especially the truth in the flavor of the raspberries. But too sugary to drink very often, or very much of at one time.

paganbeast, Jan 03, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a deep ruby red with a big head that produces a lot of pinkihs colored lace. Aroma is blackberries, raspberries and strwaberries to me. Taste is super tart (this will make you pucker) followed by a little bit of a deeper malt flavor. Drinkable but very sweet and hard to get past just one.

CRJMellor, Jan 02, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +6%

12 oz bottle, capped and corked, served at cellar temperature into a goblet on 12-27-03. Pours a deep ruby red with an ambitious head that eventually falls into ring and island lacing. Nose smells exactly like fresh blackberries(yes, blackberries) just picked from my garden in early summer, along with a definite note of musty old tennis shoes. Mouthfeel is TART, berry-like, and has plenty of fizzy carbonation. Taste is boldly sweet and tart, red raspberries here(contrasting the fresh blackberry nose), with a note of grain and sweet malt that balances nicely. I also taste what seems like wild mushrooms(morels) in the background. I haven't seen this described in other reviews, but I'm guessing it's the wild yeasts. Not an unpleasant note by any means, but it's there. I didn't notice this in the Lindemans Kriek, but the "mushrooms in the background" element simply add to the complexity of this very fine Lambic.
More complex than any other fruit Lambic I've had, very tasty, and a very enjoyable experience. Drinkability, obviously, depends on how many you plan to drink. It's a perfect dessert by itself, or as a companion to desert.

merlin48, Dec 28, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +19.5%

I can't feel to manly drinking this beer. Served in a tall thin glass. Hazy reddish in color with a huge pink head. Very much a girly looking beer. I should be ashamed for enjoying this, but I do. I didn't even touch the glass yet, but I could smell the raspberries from a mile away. Some may call the sweetness excessive, but it gives it the character of a raspberry sorbet. A great drink for after dinner to end the night on. Bottom line is don't go looking for that traditional "funky" lambic character. This is liquid desert,

dmarch, Dec 27, 2003
3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

This was my 1st Lambic. It was from a bottle and had to be imported to Utah since I cant find any here.
Chilled it and served it. Had a very nice larger pinkish head. The smell was quite powerful very fruity & sweet. The flavor is very very sweet, almost overpoweringly so. It starts smooth and sweet and finished rather sour or tart.

HochFliegen, Dec 18, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

the barkeep uncorked this one for me, which is good because i remember more than a few nights of wrestling with a wine cork, giving up, going back fifteen minutes later once i gave my hands a rest, and failing again, and so on ad infinitum...

anyway, the pub had a real lindeman's lambic flute, and when poured into it the beer looked really impressive: bold purplish red with a nice head of light red foam.

the smell was alarmingly sweet at first, but then i inhaled again and there was the signature lambic sourness and funkiness in the background. lots of raspberry, flowers, perfume, and damp cloth in the nose here.

the taste was a full-on blast of sweetness, at least at first. when i started worrying that i had wasted my money, the perfume, the sourness, and the underlying lambic "wet-sweater" flavors came through. not as powerfully as they would in, say, a cantillon, mind you, but enough to inject the kind of complexity into the flavor that you come to expect with a lambic. since i was having this beer for dessert, the sweetness wasn't really a problem, but the sweetness alone wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying as it was in combination with the other flavors.

nice, spritzy carbonation in the mouthfeel made this a great beer to have with the thick, palate-dulling chocolate cake i was shovelling.

this is a very drinkable beer, as long as you stick to one or two bottles. after that the sweetness might be just too much to handle. my first lambic was a cantillon rose de gambrinus, so i was prepared for something much paler, sourer, funkier, and drier than what i got with the lindemans. but it was a pleasant surprise, not as complex or challenging as a cantillon, but just as satisfying on a simpler level. not every beer has to be an horizon-broadening experience, and not every night calls for myriad levels of culinary complexity. all in all, a sweet, tasty dessert beer with enough complexity to make it a must-try.

cheers,

s.d.

dedalus, Dec 15, 2003
3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

A good drink, yet certainly made in an "international" style. The emphasis is on pleasing the masses with a good dose of sweetness. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you. I just enjoy the drier style my-self, though It took a while to get to this point. Anyway, this thing pours an almost too red to be red, shade of red-very deep and extracted in color, it appears almost not natural. The flavors and aromas cry out raspberry! Yet the cry is a sweet one with just enough tart to make everybody think they are being really adventurous and bold lambic imbibers. Hope this will get people to branch out and try other examples of the style, until then I'll finish mine with a lick of the lips and a big ahhh!

moulefrite, Dec 02, 2003
4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

This beer is the lambic which all other lambics shall be judged. It smells great and looks very good as well. The only thing that I have against the beer is that it is a tad too sweet. It has a good tartness that balances it out, but if that was taken down a notch this beer would be incredible. It tastes like a carbonated rasberry sorbet. To be honest it is hard to pick out the malt or hops flavor, but that is to be expected in a lambic. This is worthwhile to try. It is a good beer to bring over for dessert at a dinner.

GeoffFromSJ, Nov 28, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

Clear, though dark raspberry red color, light at the foot, with a big helping of pinkish-red fizzy foam atop.
Aroma is a dream, the very match for raspberry sorbet. Lively and luscious, and damned near perfectly delightful.
Taste: ooh! ooh! Tart-{pucker} ooh! Then,...R-E-L-A-X ...It lets go and you luxuriate in it's marvelous flavor and Puckish play on the senses. Sip again, intense pucker again, repeat. Candyish sweetness puts in a word among the sour, reminding the mouth of a Jolly Rancher.
Mmmm...
A very complex beverage, with forward fruit, intense flavor, but bearing little of the characteristics we look for in other types of beer. That's lambic for you, and I'm a sucker for them, at the right time, right place.
A most refreshing and satisfying dessert, leaving me to wish I'd picked up some ice cream earlier. Long, delicious, mouth-filling finish.
True ambrosia.

feloniousmonk, Nov 20, 2003
3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

I got this for my girlfriend because she doesn't like most beers but I know that she likes this. It pours deep purple red like a wine. There is a lite rim of foam but it tastes fairly carbonated. The only aromas that I can smell are of a deep raspberry. Likewise for the taste. Its all reasberries, which is a nice change but I definately couldn't drink much of this without getting tired of sweetness. Like a carbonated fruit drink. Something different for when you are in the mood for something fruity.

Elemental, Nov 10, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Deep, bright, hazy, raspberry-red-syrup pour. Frothy, pink, milkshake head spreads spiderweb lace on the glass.
Smell: It's a raspberry sweet-tart! Crisp, sugary-sour, yeasty acidity. Faint malt along with underlying earthy/musty tones.
Taste: Big, puckery, tart raspberry blast quickly balanced with an equal sweetness. Finish is crisp and clean.
Mouthfeel: Champagne fizziness, puckery sourness and acidity. Sweetness and malt fullness builds as it warms. More body than initial fizziness would imply.
Drinkability: A solid sipper. Great way for a BA to "toast" a special ocassion. Found myself growing disappointed as the glass got closer and closer to empty.

DagFishHead, Nov 10, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

pours a deep red with pink lace. the smell is heavenly, big raspberries all over. the taste is juicey and tart, raspberries is about all you can get out of this except for maybe a light grassy flavor. somewhat acidic. champagne like body, light and bubbly. this stuff is great, but after a 12 ounce bottle im ready to move on. the perfect one serving treat. you can poke and prod this beer all you want, but the bottom line is, it is 100% raspberries, dont expect anything else.

DESTRO, Nov 04, 2003