Lindemans Framboise - Brouwerij Lindemans

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  2.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-01-2000

2.5-4.0% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Framboise Alström Bros
Reviews: 979 | Hads: 2,543
4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

Aroma: Like a batch of raspberry jam just fell from the sky and hit you on the head. Very sweet and pleasant.

Appearance: Dark red/plumb color. Small head and small bubbles. Opaque center, no looking through this one. Decent lacing.

Taste: Sweet explosions of raspberry. Tart but not overwhelming. Just enough to make you pucker a little bit while still keeping a smile. I think it is excellent cold or warm. The raspberry flavor really explodes when it is a little warm.

Mouthfeel: Similar to a champaigne but not as expansive in your mouth. Small bubbles and its tartness are very pleasing. Worth a swish around the ol' gums.

Overall: Love it. This was only my second lambic that I've tried and it was better than the first one. I'm a big fan of this kind of tart fruity flavor. It's not like most fruity beers in any kind of way. Must try. (854 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 355ml (12 fl.oz.) green bottle, corked and crown cap covered in a dark red foil. It has a very traditional looking cream colored label. “Framboise Lambic” is the name, yet quirkily it is also referred to as a “Malt beverage with Raspberries added”. Hmmm, maybe it’s an American label thing. No strength or best before date.

Appearance: A fantastic looking clear deep purple-red color with a flamingo pink head that is thin, but remains, unbroken on the surface. The pink lacing looks good, as does the beer itself.

Nose: Raspberries dominate - has a sweet sugariness that reminds me of those sugar frosted candies. Delicately borders on raspberry syrup.

Taste: Sweetish beginnings that are dominated by a syrup raspberry flavor. A dry sharpness balances the sweetness to an extent, but the finish has a dry cloying sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Solid; raspberries invade the mouth from the beginning. A sharp tartness, which is sadly very short lived, does add a distraction from the sugar sweetness that invades the ending of the experience.

Drinkability: The sweetness becomes cloying in the mouth once the beer is swallowed, but up to this point a slight dry-tartness aids the Drinkability. The stickiness becomes too much of a distraction for me in the end to make this a really drinkable beer. This is the type of Framboise that is enjoyed now and again, a glass at the end of the night, or during an afternoon, but it would be hard to enjoy too many of these without the sweetness becoming overtly sickly for me.

Overall: A very nice fruity beer, that’s makes a great aperitif, but it is far from a quaffer. I am not one to slam any beer for diversionary discretions from so-called style guidelines - and I will not start here. Indeed, I will add that Lindeman’s make one of the finest traditional Gueuze’s on the market, but that said; Lindeman’s Framboise is just too sickly sweet for my liking. (1,938 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

A Brilliant Raspberry color and ditto in the smell. There was a pink collar of lace.

Not much complexity to this one: Raspberry in the front and a nice tartness in the back. This drink is almost all fruit. I would only drink it again on occasion, and mostly as a desert. (273 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

The first lambic I have tried. Pours a very dark red, with a small pink head (about 1/4"). Intense raspberry aroma. Tastes just like a tart raspberry, more like wine than beer. Surprisingly light mouthfeel, with no aftertaste.

Definitely not an everyday ale (by taste or price), but it's good for a change. I'd recommend it only it you like the flavor of fresh raspberries. (376 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, this is my first lambic I have ever tried so here we go. I didn't have any lambic glasses so I used some wine glasses. The first glass was a dark ruby color, the second a deep purple, both with champagne-like carbonation and soda pop heads. The aroma of tart raspberry was overwhelming, pretty much all I could get out of the smell. The taste was awesome, but nothing I have ever experienced from an ale. It was full or tart raspberry that made my mouth pucker, but no beer characteristics. Again this is my first lambic so maybe I am missing some of the complexity. Other than the fact that I found more resemblance with a wine cooler, this did make for a tasty treat. (675 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a deep dark ruby red, with a frothy pink head that laces the glass and stays the entire drink. Smell is dominated by sweet yet tart raspberry. Taste is all tart raspberry, with a carbonated champagne like body.

Very “un-beer” like, aroma and taste dominated by raspberry, if you are not as a raspberry fan you are not going to like this. I think it was tastey, but I would prefer something more beer like. (417 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +5.1%

Ah this is more like what I expect from a Lambic. It poured a purple color with a purple head of fine bubbles. It has a strong aroma of raspberries as I would expect. Very flavorful full of fruity raspberry flavors and leaves an excellent taste in your mouth (that is if you like lambics). Excellent lacing and goes down extremely smooth. This is a very nice Lambic. (366 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

This beer poured a transparent deep ruby red, like thinned blood. It smelled sour and sweet, like a Swedish fish, and of strong raspberries, like a jolly rancher.

The first taste was sour, followed by a burst of raspberry sweetness on the tip of the tongue and the finished with a sour curling of the tongue. This beer was very crisp and had no aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was highly carbonated which accentuated the sourness of the beer. It was almost syrupy, like a soda. This beer was highly drinkable, like downing a raspberry soda on a hot day. Tasty. (562 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance: brilliant ruby red, ever so slight haze, creamy pink head persists, stunning appearance!

Aroma: a huge sweet bouquet of grenadine and raspberry, very sight traces of lactic notes and "horse-blanket" in the background, quite atypical of a true lambic

Flavor: a saacharine sweet raspberry flavor up front with a chasing tartness and the enteric horsey aroma/flavor felt in the upper pallette, slight earthy bitterness after the initial sweet bloom of raspberry flavor, the finish is syrupy sweet, very overpowering and certainly atypical of a true lambic in this department as well

Mouthfeel: medium-light body, tight carbonation, very effervescent, leaves a slick feeling from the sugary sweetness

Overall impression: This is probably one of the tamest lambics on the market. While it is impressive in some respects, it is much too cloying for my taste. If this is the only lambic you've tried, you haven't really tried lambic. It's a great beer to give someone who doesn't like beer and is also "a hit with the ladies". I haven't developed a taste for true lambics myself (like Cantillon or Hannsen's). With that in mind, this is one I can actually drink, though in small quantities. (1,207 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +24.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours a deed crimson red, with a pink tinged head that recedes slowly. Smell of raspberries is strong, and just a hint of yeast. Taste is the sweet/sour flavor of raspberries. Mediium body and moderate carbonation. So far this is the best lambic that I have tasted. I love everything about it! (307 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

On tap at Sunset Cantina.

A deep read with a fading pink head. Tastes of the fine fruit first and formost. Good mouthfeel on tap. A very solide Framboise. Great after dinner brew. Also good as a mix with a nitro chocolate stout on top. Great to find Belgians on tap served in pints anywhere! (294 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4%

Beautiful hazy reddish-pink hue, very small, quick to dissipate pinkish-white head, soapy retention. Lovely nose, heaps of sweet & tart raspberries, hint of yeast. Refreshing… tasty palate, loads of raspberries… there is a tremendous battle between tart and sweet, neither wins out but both holler loudly. The malt foundation is well-done, it adds a third (taste)-dimension and a healthy mouthfeel. Medium body. Sweet aftertaste with a lingering note of acidity. Easy to drink, a lovely quaff… screw wine, drink lambic! (522 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Lambics are their own beast. I've never met anyone who was "on the fence" about them. It seems like you either love 'em or hate 'em. Me... I'm on the love side of that fence.

First pour shows an astonishingly dark and deep crimson/pink/rose body with a light and fluffy pink head/lace that simply does NOT fade.

Aromas are a study in contrasts. On the one hand there are all the elements of a classic lambic - the delicate hints of yeast peaking out from beneath the strong, juicy tart fruit. Sadly there is also a slightly crude overly sweet note that has a hint of cough syrup. A lambic should be a study in champagne-like elegance.

Initial taste is lovely, crisp smooth and creamy with that powerful effervescence from the champagne-like carbonation. The yeast and funk are there in the middle of the flavour, though nearly hidden by the combination of the heavy fruits and high acidity. Very fruity - in fact the sweetness of the fruit tends to overwhelm. As one drinks more, in fact, the sweetness becomes rather cloying. I miss the tartness that you find with other lambics, for me this one is a bit too sweet. The finish is clean, leaving little on the tongue afterwards.

A good "girlfriend" beer, or for a single glass with brunch, but not my favorite of the lambics to be honest. (1,300 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

I'm not kidding when I say it tastes like they ripped an entire raspberry bush out of the ground, put it in a blender, and fermented it. There's a very earthy taste under the raspberry. There is also a soft drink quality to the carbonation. I was expecting more of an ale flavor, but instead I found something that tastes like it belongs in the wine cooler section. Don't get me wrong though, it's delicious. (408 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Deep rosey-purple with a pinkish lace. Fresh, juicy raspberry nose. Somewhat syruppy and tart. Very crisp and refreshing. Big, almost sour raspberry taste. However, there seems to be some sort of extra taste that's going on, that's not really very good. I can't really identify it. A good fruit lambic, but not a great one. (323 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

My, oh my, this is one delightfully, delectable, scrumptious, savory, flavorsome, luscious, mouth-watering, treat.
Open this baby up and its fruity raspberry heaven. It just screams yummyness. The first thing is the aroma, how they make the raspberry smell better then what raspberries smells like is beyond me. Its a raspberry delight with a very hard tart twinge that just flows into your nasal cavity like smoke.
The color is an amazing deep red, nearly opaque, and still glows with a astonishing crimson-ruby intensity. It has a very unique pinkish head of large bubbles that looks sort of like the fizz from a dark-purple grape juice.
Ohhh....then there's the awesome taste, so very nicely packed with raspberry fruityness, with a very nice, highly sweet tangyness and twinge thats perfectly tart and level.
Feel is tartly sweet and silky smooth with a heavy to medium full body and smacks of soured sweetness the whole way through.
All that yummyness of raspberry tartness is just fantastic. (1,002 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Let there be no doubt: I am a man.

I could wear a pink thong, and I am a man.
I could carry a purse, and I am a man.
I could slip into a dress, and I am a man.

And dammit, I can drink this beer, and I am a man.

Put all the crap about this being a parting from traditional lambics aside. Then go ahead and take the "this isn't a real beer" and toss that aside too. Now pour it and drink it.

And it's ungodly good.

Pours an absolutely bewitching shade of red -- fire engine, crimson, deep pink kinds of reds -- with a reasonably short-lived pink head atop it. And you can smell this beer from a mile away. OK, more like a half mile. But nonetheless, it's aroma is pungent, pretty, and prepossessing -- like potpourri.

And the taste. The taste! The seeds were stuck in my teeth for days on end. It's raspberry (maybe a bit contrived, but good nonetheless) meets a tiny bit of acidic sourness -- a sour fruit dessert perhaps? It's great. Just great.

It's too sweet for me to have often -- and I'd rather have the "real thing" just like a lot of folks -- but I can definitely drink this every now again and love it. And anyone who doesn't think that this beer can be perfect with a chocolate dessert is nuts. The fact that it's non-traditional makes it perfect for pouring over chocolate ice cream, for putting over sorbet w/ fruit, and for drinking with chocolate cake or vanilla ice cream. Or hell, try some sort of sauce with it. This beer has its place. (1,475 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer poured a very bright ruby-raspberry color and looks beautiful. It had a high effervescence with a large pink head. I’ve had this beer on many different occasions and it’s always enjoyable. When you put your nose to this beer you are first taken over by the sweet aroma of raspberries. It tastes more like a sweet fruit wine spritzer, than a beer but is a nice treat to have once in a while. (especially if you can get it on tap) (440 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +9.6%

I used to dislike Lambics...until I had this sweet sweet nectar. And that's what it is...sweet. It's very thin, but the red color in my glass was beautiful. The aroma is purely intoxicating. The very pungent aroma of raspberries hits hard.

The taste made my lips pucker a little, but that wasn't a bad thing. Sour fruits all the way, and oh boy is it good. I know many people can drink these all night, and possibly due to the low ABV it would be easy, but the sweetness would get to me after a while. One of two though, and mmmmmm boy. A lambic on tap is a true treat. (573 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

They have this on tap at Redbones...I had three the other night.

This beer pours a deep dark garnet color, no head. It is chock full of sweet/tart raspeberry flavor. The balance is perfect, not too tart, but not too sweet.

This is a premium session beer for me...I have nicknamed it Belgiam Kool-aid. No disrespect for this one, I call it that due to the outstanding taste and very high drinkability.

Yes, this is a beer I can drink all night, I had two other beers, and their mouthfeel didn't even come close to this one.

A real treat I love, outstanding!

pat (575 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

When I first found this beer, it ran for ten dollars a bottle. So, I can't say I was ever fond of it, basically just due to the price. I think it's one of the first corked beers I came across as well, so my friends at the time justified the cost and bought it. I found this bottle for about 4 bucks, quite a grab gotta love it. A wine like ruby purple, very bubbly with a quickly dissipating head. A deep bitter raspberry aroma with loads of bubbles arising to tickle the nose. Taste is a sharp bitterness, mellowed out with the sweet raspberry tones. Along with a champagne like bubbly sensation on the back of the throat, this beer is a medium bodied Belgium wonder. Much more mellow on tap, but overall this style is amazing (wild yeast, oh yeah!!!)! Very drinkable, except it's a little too tart and sweet to drink excessively. (831 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer has, I feel, a perfect balance between sweet and sour. The raspberry flavor is the obvious strong flavor, with a great tug of war between sweet and sour feelings. I think the sweetness wins in the end, because the sweetness can be a little much unless you're really in the mood for it. I enjoy the kriek more than this beer, but lindemans lambics are always very enjoyable to me. (389 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Ahhh, the raspberry selection in the Lindemans line of lambics!

As with all of the lindemans lambics, it comes in a green bottle, corked and capped with a colorful foil over the top.

The color is deep red with a thin pinkish head which leaves a thin lace as you drink it. The smell is of fresh raspberries. It has a thick mouthfeel that makes you pucker a bit and the taste is a little on the tart side but definitely tastes of fresh raspberries, leaving very little aftertaste. This tartness precludes it from being a session brew...it's better suited as a dessert brew, as are all of the lambics in the Lindemans line (with perhaps the exception of the Gueze). Overall, another very tasty selection that I would highly recommend! (739 characters)

Presentation: 750ml corked, caged, and capped bottle from bread and circus in Cambridge, MA.

this beer was my first foray into the world of 'lambic' and it was a good one. This 'beer' poured into my glass a nice pinkish-red colour with some flesh-like peach highlights to it. This beer also had a nice pinkish head to it. The aroma was of raspberries and an old farm-house(but in a good way...)and the taste was more of the same. Sweet and dry at the same time, and very complex, a very interesting brew, for sure. This has a high drinkability as it is a low abv beverage that would be good to sip all day in the summer. However, The sweetness could get old after a while, a nice beverage to say the least.
cheers!,
F. (723 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

This was the first time tasting a lambic after seeing the bottles on shelves for years. I was not disapointed and am not a fan of beers with fruit flavors like Sam Adams cherry wheat, or the appricot flavor in Majic Hat #9. This is a whole different animal and I thought it was great. This poored rasberry red with a deep pink head and the taste of rasberrys came through sweet and tangy at the same time. This is a desert beer that I could drink after every meal and even on it's own if in the mood [Breakfast maybee or the treadmill at the gym while working out???]. I brought this beer to a familiy dinner and served it for the women who loved it. This would be a great unique bring along if you were invited over to an actual "girls" house for dinner and make a good conversation piece as well. She'll love your worldly culture and might reward you in the end. (864 characters)

Lindemans Framboise from Brouwerij Lindemans