Lindemans Kriek - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans KriekLindemans Kriek

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 07-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Kriek Alström Bros
Reviews: 504 | Hads: 1,160
2.04/5  rDev -47.4%

Poured In: Snifter Glass
Purchased at Woodmans Markets (Madison, WI)

Appearance: The pour is a dark maroon and crimson color with a light pink and crimson head. If the color wasn't such a dark red I think it'd be pretty clear. It's also quite effervescent. When I popped the cork a bit of foam was starting to build up near the top of the bottle. Each pour also releases a big wave of carbon dioxide. For how sweet this smells there isn't much lace on the side of my glass.

Smell: The nose is of extremely sweet cherries. There's a little bit of cherry cough medicine in there too, along with some chalky calcium carbonate aroma. On top of the sweetness sits a little bit of sour, perhaps from the skin of the cherries. It smells just a little bit tart. Personally, I don't care for a nose this sweet. It smells like I just poured a glass of fruit juice.

Taste: The palate isn't much better than the nose. A very sweet cherry flavor up front with a little bit of tartness as well. Throughout the entire tasting it was like there was a sweet syrup making up the entire flavor. Just like how Coke is made with that syrup and carbonated water, this tasted like carbonated water with a dash of alcohol pumped with fruit syrup.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thin bodied beer, but the carbonation on it is pleasant right from the beginning.

Drinkability: Not what I was really in the mood for. It was just too sweet of a beer, and I didn't really think it was a true lambic. Absolutely no funk and over the top sweet. This is candy, not beer.

2.09/5  rDev -46.1%

It seems to me that I tried this many years ago and was quite indifferent about it, while thinking its not really my style. Tried this again at a beer tasting last evening.

The appearance is bright reddish purple with a thin lighter colored head. The smell is off putting, not because of the cherry but the quality. It's an obviously artificially contrived scent reminiscent of ludens cough drops. The taste follows, sticky sweet cherry soda mixed with aspartame. The aftertaste of this sweetner lingers. Surprisingly and perhaps disappointingly there is not much sourness here. I'll be fair and keep appearance and drinkability at the average mark. Kool Aid and cheap wine coolers are big sellers. This is easy to drink with no big boozy taste. I just don't know why anyone would opt for this? To me craft beer is all about the best ingredients, not artificial crap!

2.32/5  rDev -40.2%

Okay, I should know better I have had other beer (if you could call it that) by Lindemans. It almost tastes like cough syrup that is chilled and carbonated. My mom usually does not drink beer, so on the advice of some friends I bought a bottle, she said it was way too sweet and I tend to agree with her. I some how keep trying to get her to drink beer when I see her, but she never goes for it, and this one did not seem to help.

2.39/5  rDev -38.4%

poured 12oz bottle into tulip

A- poured a plumb color with a thin lighter purple head that didn't stay around long. there was a loud fizz reminiscent of a soda

S- actually like the smell. very sweet cherry aroma with a hint of alcohol that reminds you that it is a beer

T- cherry is obviously the dominate note. very sweet as it hits the palate then turns to tangy on the aftertaste. a very sour taste that is not enjoyable for me

M- too much fizz and carbonation. couldn't let it sit in the mouth very long because of the overpowering sweetness

D- I don't want to be too unfair because I am not a fan of lambics but have a real hard time even considering this a beer. reminds me of a Zima with a life savor that my girlfriend use to try to get me to drink in college

2.43/5  rDev -37.4%

Uh-oh...is it the evening, me, or this beer? Ruby red with a dissapointing head...unmistakeable scent of cherry--almost cherry cola!....syrupy sweet...I'm thinking Sucrets?...fizzy palate--to the point of acidic throat attack....cherrys in taste, yes--robust, almost seething with cherries, but not in a Ms. Pacman kind of way...so strange to have such a drastic swing in experiences between the framboise and the kriek....perhaps in between both is the better review, but this kriek seems to be intruding my taste buds with a medicinal taste that doesn't leave me with a "beer" experience...perhaps a future re-reviewer...

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a cloudy red Kool Aid color with a thin pink head that doesn't hold up too well. No lacing. Smells like cherry Pixie Stick poured into a mix of cherry cough syrup and cherry freezer pop. Way too sweet and artificial smelling with no real lambic characteristics. The cough medicine aspect is pretty well absent in the flavor, thankfully, but the Pixie Stick and Flav-R-Ice or whatever is still there in abundance. Really sweet and artificial tasting, but has a bit of a tart edge towards the middle that lasts to the finish: which then holds some hints at lambic funk, but it is drowned out by the sugar. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky and syrupy and has a spritzy carbonation. This is really too sweet to enjoy fully, especially since I know in the back of my head that for the exact same price, one can have a really good traditional lambic that isn't cut with other stuff to make it more accessible and boring. Overall, this is like someone mixed some raspberry cordial in with my beer. Not bad altogether, but not what I would call a good lambic.

2.53/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : gueuze à la robe rouge foncé, mousse compacte mais faible rosée et peu tenace, dégagement gazeux faible
Smell : nez fruité de cerise et sucré (sirop)
Taste and mouthfeel : très douce en bouche, acidulée, trop sucré et n'offre aucune amertume
Drinkability : une bière lambic moyenne

2.57/5  rDev -33.8%

I have had this a few times in the US. I bought this bottle at Asda (Walmart in the UK) and it had a different label and was only 3.5% alcohol. So I am not sure what the deal with this is but there was nothing else on the label to make me think it is a different beer as I have nothing else to compare it to.

A - Deep cherry red with a pretty pink head that left a really nice lacing.

S -Sweet smell of Maraschino Cherries, a bit artificial.

T - Slightly sour Ludens cherry cough drops. I loved these as a kid, but if I want candy I'll buy candy. Also I could deal with an overly sweet cherry beer, but overly sweet artificial cherry flavoring is not what I am looking for.

M&D - Not overly carbonated compared to most lambics. Went down well. Way too sweet for me to drink more than one.

I actually used the rest of this to blend with a stout that I thought was a bit bland and the two went well together.

2.57/5  rDev -33.8%

forst 25cl bottle only 3.5 ABV and two months over date (which i dare risk with lambic style beers)

A: Hazy, dark red colour, almost no head (not that strange for a lambic)

S: Cherries a bit sweet but still real cherries, some tartiness

T: Way sweeter than I expected, tastes more artificial then it smells, not doing it for me

M: It could do with a bit more gas, a bit too sticky

O: It's a no for me, i like my cherrie beers sour, i knew this was more on the sweet side, but it is really at the end of the spectre. Not my thing

2.61/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Reddish-pink color in both the beer and the very rocky head. Nose is all sour cherries - little hint of lambic aromas. Palate has an acidic attack but this is quickly subsumed by a wavy of sweet cherry/cotton candy. There is some length, but little complexity. My sample seemed a bit over-carbonated for the style as well. This is a beer to serve with a fruit tart or strawberry shortcake.

Bias-disclosure: I like my lambics/krieks/geuze very traditional. I want bracing acidity and sourness and I, most of all, want to taste the complexity of the lambic(s). This had none of these elements. The cherries should be just a part of the palate of a Kriek, not its sole compenent. It kills me that Lindeman's markets a beer this sweet - I wish they'd make a more traditional kriek as well because I know that the under-lying lambic is a quality product but here it is completely obliterated by the cherries and, especially, the sugar.

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%

appearance: poured red with orange tint around the edge with a 1 inch fizzy pink head.

smell: very fruit, such as pear, pineapple and cherry. Got scent of vinegar and a hint of dough.

taste and mouthfeel: light body, watery, fizzy carbonated with a sweet start and a very acidic aftertaste.

drinkability: very light and easy to pound.

Overall, I thought this brew was alittle off. The strong vinegar scent and taste reminded me off drinking kambuca ( a fermented tea drink drank in South America and Japan).

2.69/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

(Served in a fluted strange)

A- This beer pours a slightly dense crystal clear glowing deep red body with a microfizz that races toward the surface. There is a ping foam head that last for most of the beer.

S- The sharp smell of Luden's cherry cough drops finish with a medicinal bite the grows as the beer opens.

T- The dark sweet cherry flavor is very artificial tasting with a chemical cough syrup taste to follow and a dark medicinal tonic bitterness in the finish.

M- The medium mouthfeel has no astringency or alcohol heat and a soft tight fizz in the finish.

O- This beer has a syrupy cherry taste that is not fresh fruit at all but just all artificial. I haven't had Luden's cough drops since I was a kid but one sip of this beer and I fell like I was sick in bed. I couldn't find any other characters in this beer.

2.71/5  rDev -30.2%

375ml bottle, poured into my Duvel Tulip. Pours a cherry red color, red foam fills the glass. Immediately when I popped the cork, cherry pie filling fills my nostrils. On a deeper smell inspection, I get an almost artificial cherry pie aroma. Taste- super super tart cherries. Nauseating. No funk, just pure tart. I feel like I'm eating cherry pie filling out of a can. Its overwhelming. This is going to be painful to finish...I am into Sours, Lambics, Gueze, Wilds, but either this is a crappy version of Kriek, or I don't like Kriek. Drinkability- brutal, unless you like Cherry pie filling out of a can.

2.72/5  rDev -29.9%

I couldn't tell if this was beer or salad dressing. I realize I'm well in the minority here, but I just couldn't enjoy this beer. Still, it had some redeeming qualities.

The smell was sweet, full of cherries. And it didn't seem like artificial cherries, like some beers.

The taste started similarly sweet, but goes tart very fast. Sour cherries take over, like an unstoppable rebel force. It leaves me feeling like I just sucked on a vinegar popsicle.

It felt nice, with some smooth fizzyness, but I really couldn't drink much of this.

2.74/5  rDev -29.4%

nice two finger foam. retention lasts a few minutes. lacing is nice. clear ruby color.

smells like cherry flavored cough syrup

tastes like sweet cherry flavored cough syrup with a mix of cherry flavored smirnoff's ice. very sweet.

mouthfeel is velvety. decent carbonation.

mediciney taste is not very good. would not buy again. might drink as part of a fruit punch bowl.

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

Bright red color with a smallish fizzy pink head. Smell reminds me of New Glarus Belgian Red, which I didn't like. Cherry fruit gushers. Where's that Lambic quality. It's also missing in the taste. There's just a lot of juicy sweetness to it. It tastes like cherry juice. A bit syruppy. Finish is drier though which makes it somewhat drinkable. I guess I just don't care for cherry beers too much, but this seems to have almost no lambic qualities.

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%

I was honestly disappointed. The appearance was fine. Smell, strong cherry. The taste was faintly like cherry cough syrup. Mouthfeel, light carbonation. Overall, anti-climatic. Starts out decently, but leaves the cheery cough syrup aftertaste on the palette.

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%

As I pop the cork from this beer a strong note of sticky, sweet cherry hits my nose. The beer pours with a thickish dirty pink colored head. The beer is a red color with a pinkish tinge to it. The aroma has nothing but a sweet cherry drop candy note. The cherry is rich smelling but is missing the cherry pit note that is in good Krieks.

The taste has an over the top sweetness to it that really just dominates this beer in both palate and flavor. There is a strong cherry note as well, and perhaps a bit of cherry skin complexity thrown in as well, but overall this does not even have the fruit character that the Lindemans Framboise has. Simplistic and straight forward, it is perhaps a bit easier to drink than the Framboise, but I do like cherries better than raspberries. There is also a bit of tartness in the finish here, but this wisp of a flavor is all that says that this might be something that is Lambic base.

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%

A - Looks very good, ruby red, creamy pink head.

S - bold cherries, sorta phoney-baloney though, a bit of tartness, but mostly candy-like sweetness

T - tastes like kids candy, I wouldn't even call it an alco-pop, because there isn't a hint of alcohol or beeriness.

M - I guess it's ok, who cares.

D - a terrible example of the style, but lord help us if teenage girls ever catch onto this stuff... I could see them drinking it by the truckload.

There is nothing "foul" about this beer... but that is sort of the problem. There is no funk or sourness to speak of. Just sweeeet cherry candy flavour (with absolutely no complexity) to the point that it is sickening.

I've had the New Glarus Belgian Red, which is also sickeningly sweet, but it is also mouth puckeringly sour, so it sorta balances out.

2.81/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a murky red with a bright pink head. Smells like cherries- almost to the point of being like artificially flavored sweet cough syrup. Flavor is sweet with a slight tartness I can't tell if it's from the lambic or from sour cherries. It does not have a pronounced lambic sour astringency. It's ok for what it is, but nothing exciting. To me, it's not beer- it may be a good slightly alcoholic cherry drink, but it's not beer to me. My girlfriend likes it, so it's ok!

2.87/5  rDev -26%

Surprised that there was a cork under that large bottle cap! It popped like I was opening a champagne. Even before I finished pouring the glass my nose was overwhelmed with dark cherry aromas that almost made my mouth water. The smell was deep and lustrous, with only the slightest hint that I was holding a beer. Some alcohol. The dense red cap of bubbles refused to break apart as I swirled the beer around to release more of that luxurious cherry smell. The beer is dark red through and through.

I have to admit that I was slightly shocked (but not necessarily disappointed) that this did not taste like beer. The cherry taste was even more intense than the aroma. The cherries were bolstered by an overwhelming sweetness that is appropriate in champagne or kool aid, but not in beer. But then again this was not really a beer. It was closer to a champagne than a beer.

This "Kriek" stands on its own because it is unique in its intense fruitiness. I happen to love the cherries but there was simply too much sugary sweetness present to make me want to buy another.

2.88/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a beautiful, dark red color, with a bubbly, pinkish head.

Smells of sweetened, marmelade cherries, with no hints of funk or tartness at all.

Has a refreshing, light-bodied taste to it, which begins sparkling and finishes a bit more smooth.

Tastes of ripe sour cherries, revealing an acidic, refreshing component, while staying very sweet overall. Marmelade overrules the citraic tartness, resulting in a ripe cherry taste, with not too much depth to it. The carbonation adds a slightly metallic aspect to the beer, which is throughout easy drinkable.

A bit too one-dimensional for what I am expecting in a kriek lambic. The sourness is not prominent enough, hindering any subtle notes to unfold, leading to a rich, but too sweet cherry taste, with nothing else going on.

2.92/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from 750ml bottle into Corsendonk tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours reddish-purple with a pink white head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves behind spotty pink lace.

Smell: Smells a bit too artificial- like cherry cough medicine.

Taste: Tart, natural cherry flavors throughout- pretty good.

Mouthfeel: Thin and somewhat sticky and syrupy, with a dry finish.

Drinkability: Overall, a good lambic. This is my least favorite that I've had from Lindeman's, but it's still worth a try.

2.94/5  rDev -24.2%

Maybe it's my personal fruit preference, but I preferred the Peche version...

This This one tasted and smelled way too much like Luden's cough drops for me to really get into the sensory experience.

Once again, no head. Tiny spots of anemic lacing. I don't think that one really expects that from this style however. It pours dark, almost a Cabernet red.

I am only moderately impressed with these beers. They are basically a flavored malt beverage. They are quite tasty, but I have a really hard time spending 5 dollars a bottle on them.

2.97/5  rDev -23.5%

Whew, this one was tough to get through for me... Very sweet...

Poured a very nice reddish color with a nice fluffy head but was full of sediment..

Aroma of sweet cherries...not much else...

Wow, this was way too sweet... I was hoping for a bit of a vinous quality but it tasted more like a cherry wine cooler...

Didn't care for this very much... Only made it halfway through the bottle before I had to give it up..

Lindemans Kriek from Brouwerij Lindemans