Lindemans Kriek - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans KriekLindemans Kriek

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 07-28-2001)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Kriek Alström Bros
hoppyboy69

thierrynantes

France

2.53/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : gueuze à la robe rouge foncé, mousse compacte mais faible rosée et peu tenace, dégagement gazeux faible
Smell : nez fruité de cerise et sucré (sirop)
Taste and mouthfeel : très douce en bouche, acidulée, trop sucré et n'offre aucune amertume
Drinkability : une bière lambic moyenne

11-25-2007 09:13:32 | More by thierrynantes
thepeter

United Kingdom (England)

2.55/5  rDev -33.2%

I have had this a few times in the US. I bought this bottle at Asda (Walmart in the UK) and it had a different label and was only 3.5% alcohol. So I am not sure what the deal with this is but there was nothing else on the label to make me think it is a different beer as I have nothing else to compare it to.

A - Deep cherry red with a pretty pink head that left a really nice lacing.

S -Sweet smell of Maraschino Cherries, a bit artificial.

T - Slightly sour Ludens cherry cough drops. I loved these as a kid, but if I want candy I'll buy candy. Also I could deal with an overly sweet cherry beer, but overly sweet artificial cherry flavoring is not what I am looking for.

M&D - Not overly carbonated compared to most lambics. Went down well. Way too sweet for me to drink more than one.

I actually used the rest of this to blend with a stout that I thought was a bit bland and the two went well together.

09-06-2009 10:30:24 | More by thepeter
Realale

Missouri

2.6/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Reddish-pink color in both the beer and the very rocky head. Nose is all sour cherries - little hint of lambic aromas. Palate has an acidic attack but this is quickly subsumed by a wavy of sweet cherry/cotton candy. There is some length, but little complexity. My sample seemed a bit over-carbonated for the style as well. This is a beer to serve with a fruit tart or strawberry shortcake.

Bias-disclosure: I like my lambics/krieks/geuze very traditional. I want bracing acidity and sourness and I, most of all, want to taste the complexity of the lambic(s). This had none of these elements. The cherries should be just a part of the palate of a Kriek, not its sole compenent. It kills me that Lindeman's markets a beer this sweet - I wish they'd make a more traditional kriek as well because I know that the under-lying lambic is a quality product but here it is completely obliterated by the cherries and, especially, the sugar.

09-11-2002 10:54:49 | More by Realale
ElGrecoVerde

2.65/5  rDev -30.6%

I couldn't tell if this was beer or salad dressing. I realize I'm well in the minority here, but I just couldn't enjoy this beer. Still, it had some redeeming qualities.

The smell was sweet, full of cherries. And it didn't seem like artificial cherries, like some beers.

The taste started similarly sweet, but goes tart very fast. Sour cherries take over, like an unstoppable rebel force. It leaves me feeling like I just sucked on a vinegar popsicle.

It felt nice, with some smooth fizzyness, but I really couldn't drink much of this.

03-03-2008 14:06:01 | More by ElGrecoVerde
rhoadsrage

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

(Served in a fluted strange)

A- This beer pours a slightly dense crystal clear glowing deep red body with a microfizz that races toward the surface. There is a ping foam head that last for most of the beer.

S- The sharp smell of Luden's cherry cough drops finish with a medicinal bite the grows as the beer opens.

T- The dark sweet cherry flavor is very artificial tasting with a chemical cough syrup taste to follow and a dark medicinal tonic bitterness in the finish.

M- The medium mouthfeel has no astringency or alcohol heat and a soft tight fizz in the finish.

O- This beer has a syrupy cherry taste that is not fresh fruit at all but just all artificial. I haven't had Luden's cough drops since I was a kid but one sip of this beer and I fell like I was sick in bed. I couldn't find any other characters in this beer.

06-27-2011 20:51:25 | More by rhoadsrage
lnashsig

2.68/5  rDev -29.8%

375ml bottle, poured into my Duvel Tulip. Pours a cherry red color, red foam fills the glass. Immediately when I popped the cork, cherry pie filling fills my nostrils. On a deeper smell inspection, I get an almost artificial cherry pie aroma. Taste- super super tart cherries. Nauseating. No funk, just pure tart. I feel like I'm eating cherry pie filling out of a can. Its overwhelming. This is going to be painful to finish...I am into Sours, Lambics, Gueze, Wilds, but either this is a crappy version of Kriek, or I don't like Kriek. Drinkability- brutal, unless you like Cherry pie filling out of a can.

08-07-2011 19:14:13 | More by lnashsig
GimpyCane

2.68/5  rDev -29.8%

appearance: poured red with orange tint around the edge with a 1 inch fizzy pink head.

smell: very fruit, such as pear, pineapple and cherry. Got scent of vinegar and a hint of dough.

taste and mouthfeel: light body, watery, fizzy carbonated with a sweet start and a very acidic aftertaste.

drinkability: very light and easy to pound.

Overall, I thought this brew was alittle off. The strong vinegar scent and taste reminded me off drinking kambuca ( a fermented tea drink drank in South America and Japan).

03-25-2007 04:24:33 | More by GimpyCane
Dennrat

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

I was honestly disappointed. The appearance was fine. Smell, strong cherry. The taste was faintly like cherry cough syrup. Mouthfeel, light carbonation. Overall, anti-climatic. Starts out decently, but leaves the cheery cough syrup aftertaste on the palette.

11-06-2012 05:44:22 | More by Dennrat
granger10

Wisconsin

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

Bright red color with a smallish fizzy pink head. Smell reminds me of New Glarus Belgian Red, which I didn't like. Cherry fruit gushers. Where's that Lambic quality. It's also missing in the taste. There's just a lot of juicy sweetness to it. It tastes like cherry juice. A bit syruppy. Finish is drier though which makes it somewhat drinkable. I guess I just don't care for cherry beers too much, but this seems to have almost no lambic qualities.

02-10-2006 14:24:32 | More by granger10
indesertum

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

nice two finger foam. retention lasts a few minutes. lacing is nice. clear ruby color.

smells like cherry flavored cough syrup

tastes like sweet cherry flavored cough syrup with a mix of cherry flavored smirnoff's ice. very sweet.

mouthfeel is velvety. decent carbonation.

mediciney taste is not very good. would not buy again. might drink as part of a fruit punch bowl.

06-20-2011 00:08:18 | More by indesertum
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

A - Looks very good, ruby red, creamy pink head.

S - bold cherries, sorta phoney-baloney though, a bit of tartness, but mostly candy-like sweetness

T - tastes like kids candy, I wouldn't even call it an alco-pop, because there isn't a hint of alcohol or beeriness.

M - I guess it's ok, who cares.

D - a terrible example of the style, but lord help us if teenage girls ever catch onto this stuff... I could see them drinking it by the truckload.

There is nothing "foul" about this beer... but that is sort of the problem. There is no funk or sourness to speak of. Just sweeeet cherry candy flavour (with absolutely no complexity) to the point that it is sickening.

I've had the New Glarus Belgian Red, which is also sickeningly sweet, but it is also mouth puckeringly sour, so it sorta balances out.

04-01-2008 02:54:04 | More by markaberrant
DrewZ926

05-15-2012 03:03:48 | More by DrewZ926
Gueuzedude

Arizona

2.75/5  rDev -28%

As I pop the cork from this beer a strong note of sticky, sweet cherry hits my nose. The beer pours with a thickish dirty pink colored head. The beer is a red color with a pinkish tinge to it. The aroma has nothing but a sweet cherry drop candy note. The cherry is rich smelling but is missing the cherry pit note that is in good Krieks.

The taste has an over the top sweetness to it that really just dominates this beer in both palate and flavor. There is a strong cherry note as well, and perhaps a bit of cherry skin complexity thrown in as well, but overall this does not even have the fruit character that the Lindemans Framboise has. Simplistic and straight forward, it is perhaps a bit easier to drink than the Framboise, but I do like cherries better than raspberries. There is also a bit of tartness in the finish here, but this wisp of a flavor is all that says that this might be something that is Lambic base.

10-30-2005 23:09:52 | More by Gueuzedude
BryanCDM

06-30-2014 03:36:28 | More by BryanCDM
Dukeofearl

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a murky red with a bright pink head. Smells like cherries- almost to the point of being like artificially flavored sweet cough syrup. Flavor is sweet with a slight tartness I can't tell if it's from the lambic or from sour cherries. It does not have a pronounced lambic sour astringency. It's ok for what it is, but nothing exciting. To me, it's not beer- it may be a good slightly alcoholic cherry drink, but it's not beer to me. My girlfriend likes it, so it's ok!

01-23-2005 23:29:45 | More by Dukeofearl
MikeWilson

Colorado

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

Surprised that there was a cork under that large bottle cap! It popped like I was opening a champagne. Even before I finished pouring the glass my nose was overwhelmed with dark cherry aromas that almost made my mouth water. The smell was deep and lustrous, with only the slightest hint that I was holding a beer. Some alcohol. The dense red cap of bubbles refused to break apart as I swirled the beer around to release more of that luxurious cherry smell. The beer is dark red through and through.

I have to admit that I was slightly shocked (but not necessarily disappointed) that this did not taste like beer. The cherry taste was even more intense than the aroma. The cherries were bolstered by an overwhelming sweetness that is appropriate in champagne or kool aid, but not in beer. But then again this was not really a beer. It was closer to a champagne than a beer.

This "Kriek" stands on its own because it is unique in its intense fruitiness. I happen to love the cherries but there was simply too much sugary sweetness present to make me want to buy another.

07-26-2008 04:40:40 | More by MikeWilson
Beernoisseur

Utah

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

Maybe it's my personal fruit preference, but I preferred the Peche version...

This This one tasted and smelled way too much like Luden's cough drops for me to really get into the sensory experience.

Once again, no head. Tiny spots of anemic lacing. I don't think that one really expects that from this style however. It pours dark, almost a Cabernet red.

I am only moderately impressed with these beers. They are basically a flavored malt beverage. They are quite tasty, but I have a really hard time spending 5 dollars a bottle on them.

10-17-2008 22:01:55 | More by Beernoisseur
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.9/5  rDev -24.1%

Whew, this one was tough to get through for me... Very sweet...

Poured a very nice reddish color with a nice fluffy head but was full of sediment..

Aroma of sweet cherries...not much else...

Wow, this was way too sweet... I was hoping for a bit of a vinous quality but it tasted more like a cherry wine cooler...

Didn't care for this very much... Only made it halfway through the bottle before I had to give it up..

04-16-2008 13:54:38 | More by Tilley4
Sigmund

Norway

2.98/5  rDev -22%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

If I want cherry juice, I buy cherry juice (or cherries!). If I want beer (yes, thank you, I don't mind if I do!), I buy beer. It might be a conservative attitude, but I see no reason to buy an over-priced combination of the two. Refreshing? Sure. Best cherry soda I've ever had? Indeed. But beer? Nooooo......!

06-03-2002 09:04:32 | More by Sigmund
danielharper

2.98/5  rDev -22%

Purchased from Wayne's Package Store, near Warrior, AL.

A: Deep red color towards top, tends more light towards the bottom of the pilsener glass.

S & T: Cherry aroma, with a tart after. As the beer warms, the tartness becomes more prominent.

M: Moderate mouthfeel, nice carbonation.

D: Not too drinkable for my taste, but fans of lambics will enjoy it. My fiancee, who drinks lambics but no other type of beer, prefers Lindeman's Framboise to this.

02-18-2006 02:13:01 | More by danielharper
Murrhey

Montana

2.99/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 750ml pressure cap/cork bottle into a tulip glass in high elevation Kalispell, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- Pink head that dissolves very quickly. Purplish body, low clarity. Interesting looking beer, but not very appealing.

S- Black cherries, very sweet and slightly tart.

T- Tastes like grape juice. Some minor funk at the tail end. Not feeling it.

M- Vinous and bubbly.

O- This beer is a disappointment to me. I like Krieks but I just don't seem to like Lindemans.

09-28-2013 02:02:15 | More by Murrhey
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

Ever had a Ludens cherry cough drop? If you answered yes then you know exactly what this beer looks, smells, and tastes like. None of the tartness that I cherish in cherry beers is more then faintly present here. This one is pure sweet cherries and syrup. It’s very medicinal, not quite to the point where it would resemble cough syrup but close. I find this to be too sweet and artificial tasting for me. I also think that the head could be more impressive and the aromas bigger. Overall I think that this might do well as a desert beer for women with sweet teeth but otherwise it’s pretty mediocre.

12-09-2005 21:56:46 | More by DaPeculierDane