Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Lindemans Kriek - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans KriekLindemans Kriek

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 07-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Kriek Alström Bros
Reviews: 502 | Hads: 1,151

A: Pours a ruby red (like zinfandel) with a pink head.

S: Smells of syrupy cherry, slightly tart, but more sweet than tart.

T: Starts out sweet, with cherry, which becomes tart, especially toward the finish, a touch lemony in the finish.

M: Medium-light bodied and smooth.

O: I like the Peche better, but this is decent. Krieks can be very tart, but Im not surprised, having tried the Peche, that this was only slightly tart. That said, tart isn't necessarily what I like in these kinds of ales.

3.69/5  rDev -4.7%

I was given this one as a "I know you don't like beer but try this. It is hardly beer at all!".

Appearance - I gave this a 3.75. It had a fluffy magenta head that quickly went away. The liquid was a dark rich red. Nifty enough I suppose. Murky with interesting sediments which is not a bad thing.

Smell - 3. It gets better as it warms up (which is why I gave it a 3) and smells more natural but if you serve this one cold you will be punished by a big whiff of cough drops. Yuck!

Taste - Sweet but not syrupy. Natural cherry, dryness and a bit of something else. But mostly cherry. When cold the whole cough drop thing pretty much bludgeons everything else to death but let it get to about room temp and it becomes sweeter and more acidic. Like real fruit even!

Mouthfeel - Mercifully it did not linger. Gave me a pucker and a dryness like vinegar.

Overall - Not bad, not maybe for me, but not bad.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Serving: Bottle into footed pilsner
Served: 18 April 2014

Appearance: Pours a deep red with a soft pink head that collapses and leaves just a light sheen of bubbles on the top. Some lacing, but the glasses weren't ideally clean- if they were, I'm sure this one would have left sizable lacing.

Smell: Medicinally strong cherry smell. The smell isn't artificial though, you can tell they used real cherries. Unfortunately most people only smell such strong cherries in medicine, hence the comparison.

Taste: Not as sour as I expected. It's like a cherry pie made with sour cherries rather than sweet ones- there is still an inherent sweetness and the unbecoming sourness is dulled. The beer hits you initially with a decently sour note on the tip of the tongue, which mellows at the end, before a solid assertion of beer bitterness and an intense dryness. One of the driest beers I've had, almost leaving your throat parched.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly like champagne.

Overall: A solid offering from Lindeman's though the Frambroise remains my favorite so far. This would be great as an aperitif served in champagne glasses with a cherry cheesecake or chocolate-cherry tart. An approachable lambic for all, but not something that will blow you away.

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle into flute.

Appearance: Beautiful deep ruby color with a nice, hazy pink head which was retained for a decent amount of time. Great, consistent lacing around the glass.

Smell: You definitely get the black cherries, but it almost smelled like wine to me - maybe some grape in there? I couldn't tell. Reminded me of wine more than anything.

Taste: This was my first lambic and from what I've heard and read I was expecting it to be incredibly sour, like pucker your lips sour. But the first few sips were incredibly sweet. Not necessarily tart, but just sweet. As it warmed up a bit it remained sweet initially and in the middle of the drink you started tasting a slight bitterness, followed by an incredibly sour finish as it trickled down your throat. Not bad, at all. You definitely taste the black cherries!

Mouthfeel: The first few sips when it was still (probably too) cold it all slid down nice and smooth. The further you got into this beer, however, the drier and drier it left your mouth. By the time I was halfway through I felt myself trying to produce more and more saliva to swallow because it left my mouth so dry.

Overall: Granted this was my first lambic, but I don't think I'm venturing too far when I say this is a good lambic to introduce to a newbie. Very easy to drink- reminded me kinda like juice or very very soft red wine. I could definitely see myself opting to bring a bottle of this to a nice dinner party in place of wine. Maybe drink this as an aperitif or with some type of chocolate. Overall, I thought it was pretty okay. It's not something I would go out looking for and I doubt I'd ever really be in the mood to opt for lambics over much else, but in right setting, like a dinner party, I could definitely see myself enjoying this.

3.74/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Pin's.

Poured into a #proper Lindemans color-print wine-style glass. Deep, dark, ruby red, cloudy, with a half-finger of pink head that retained well and left lots of lacing on the glass. Looked beautiful! Nose is pretty much pure cherry sweetness. Lots of cherry sweetness in the taste, but actually a surprising amount of tartness, especially up front, which I didn't expect, knowing Lindemans' m.o. Cherry candy, and not much else to speak of here. Crisp and syrupy mouthfeel, light-medium body, mildly dry in the finish, with the sweetness lingering to the aftertaste; moderate carb. This is a great dessert beer. Lambic purists will tell you that true krieks shouldn't be as sweet as this, and maybe they shouldn't. In that sense, this isn't very exemplary of the style, and we all know that Lindemans flavors their beers instead of using fruit in the brewing process. But that doesn't mean this can't be a good beer.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from bottle into a tulip glass

Appearance – The beer pours a pinkish ruby red color with a one finger head of pink tinted foam. The head of the brew has a fantastic level of retention, slowly fading over time to leave a bunch of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the brew is big of a tart cherry smell mixed with other red fruit aromas of raspberry and strawberry. Along with the red fruits are some notes of apple and plum. Other more tart and sour aromas are there as well, with a rather strong apple cider vinegar and yeasty funk smell in the nose, producing overall a funky and fruity aroma.

Taste – The taste begins with a tart cherry flavor. Along with the tart cherry are sweeter flavors of cherry and raspberry bringing a sweet and sour flavor to the brew straight from the start. As the flavor advances the sweetness loses some ground to the more tart flavors. Even though this is the case, the taste remains overall still very sweet, with the tart fruit just slightly edging out the sweet. This is appropriate at this stage however, as right around that time so too comes in some grassy flavors as well as a moderately strong funky flavor. In the end, the mix of flavors leaves a nice tart and sweet fruity and funky red fruit flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the thinner side with a carbonation level that is on the higher side, consisting of tons of tiny champagne like carbonation bubbles. Both the thinner body and higher carbonation are fantastic for the sweet, tart, and fruity flavors of the brew and make it easy drinking.

Overall – A nice red fruity tart but moderately sweet Lambic. Rather tasty overall, all while still maintaining a somewhat refreshing demeanor even with the tarter and sour flavors of the brew.

4.01/5  rDev +3.6%

This is one of the first lambics I ever had, and I've had it only a few times. Since then I've had alot of wild ales, oude bruins, flanders reds, all kinds. But this one is readily available usually and, well it holds a special place in my heart. The other flavors of Lindemans dont really appeal to me, just this one.

Pours a bright red, kinda dark red, with plenty of pink foam that holds a thick ring.

Smells like cherries I used to go pick off trees when I was a kid. Tart and juicy, sour, stings the nostrils.

Taste is similar with alot of cherry, tastes like real cherry to me as I assume they use fruit and not syrup to flavor it. Slight sour notes balance out the fruit, just like a lambic should, but this doesnt over power. Its quite tame and keeps a profile alot of people might enjoy. Also in this one, I get raspberry notes as well, with acidity and sour yeast notes.

Mouthfeel is fully carbonated, kind of thin but that's expected at 4%. I'd love to try a beer (kriek) by this company in the realm of 8%.

Very nice offering, and I suspect will entice newcomers to sour ales to try it out.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a murky burgundy with a finger and a half of pink head that retains well. The smell is all rich, sweet cherries, all day long, with a sour yeast aroma in the background. It tastes like cherry grape juice up front and quickly becomes a mouth-puckering sour bomb, ending with more cherry flavor and some yeast funk. The body is light and the carbonation is high, leading to a mouthfeel that is similar to champagne.

3.99/5  rDev +3.1%

Big fluffy pink head, like pink clouds. Pours a dark cherry red, very clear (albeit very dark). Thick lacing and decent retention.

Aroma is sweet cherries with a light tartness or funk - a very slight sting in the nostrils.

Extremely tart, followed by a balanced sweetness. Cherry is the obvious (and overwhelming) flavor note, as well as some wheat and some funk. I'm not familiar with how these 'wild Belgian yeasts' are supposed to taste.

Relatively thin, but very smooth, mouthfeel. No sting or noticeable carbonation. Extreme tartness causes your entire mouth to pucker. Coats your mouth with a silky retention.

This is my first experience with a Lambic. I found it more balanced and approachable than an American sour or wild ale. Maybe as I try more I will have a better feel for how the style is supposed to come across, but for a first experience, I found this quite tasty.

3.02/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 750ml pressure cap/cork bottle into a tulip glass in high elevation Kalispell, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- Pink head that dissolves very quickly. Purplish body, low clarity. Interesting looking beer, but not very appealing.

S- Black cherries, very sweet and slightly tart.

T- Tastes like grape juice. Some minor funk at the tail end. Not feeling it.

M- Vinous and bubbly.

O- This beer is a disappointment to me. I like Krieks but I just don't seem to like Lindemans.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This baby is the one that started it all for me. Does its wide availability mean that the quality of the beer has suffered? Hmmm... . Poured into a chilled tulip glass.

Appearance 4.25: Poured out a beautiful, gem-like red. 1/2" pink head fizzed up and then shrank into little puffy pillows of foam all over the top of the beer.

Smell 4.25: Wow, gorgeous bouquet on this brew. Yes, cherries dominate, but also there is a deep smell of earth, sour yeast and wood.

Taste 4.25: Front is sour, with slight hints of cherry coming in from the sides of the palate. Middle is where the cherry invasion continues in earnest and it is a giddy ride of sour, sweet and taste-bud terrorizing tangy, all dominated by different levels of cherry. Finish is silky smooth and the cherry actually fades out for a brief instance at this level of taste. The cherry troops re-invade in the aftertaste, along with a very nice hint of sour yeast and wood.

Mouthfeel 3.75: Right on the nose for this style and the tastes they are trying to accentuate.

Overall 4.25: Just a fabulous kriek lambic. The flavor of the fruit is forward and dominates, but there is so much more going on here than just cherry flavored beer. The levels of taste and the deep, sophisticated arrangement of them are executed almost flawlessly. This is the kriek to try if you've never had one before and it is an easy beer to find. Recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My gateway to beer, first consumed at age 18 in Brussels, Belgium. Every time I have the pleasure of drinking this it takes me back to that very happy time in my life.

A- Perfect. Deep red color, barely translucent. 2 finger pink head in a tulip glass. Retains some, and leaves beautiful lacing all the way down.

S- Smells like Kriek. Cherries that seem tart, and yet sweet.

T- Slightly tart cherry flavor. Not to sweet, but also isn't making be cringe. This is a thing of beauty. Perfect example of the style.

M- Mild carbonation, but not at all intrusive. Feels just right on the tongue.

O- For "ladies' beer" as it was called in Brussels, this isn't half bad. In fact, this is one of my favorite splurges, and something I like to share. A great beer.

3.94/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from the bottle into an elongated tulip like glass. From notes.

Large foamy pink bath bubble head created. Lots of sticky lacing while drinking. Deep cherry red colored body, with some dark opaque like character, not much noticeable rising carbonation. A bit of sticky like leg coating as well. Head has some good staying power as well.

Nose is sweet. Faint cherry cough drop, a little bit of faint lemon. Sugary but nothing to crazy with a little bit of hinting malt density, and some sucrose like sensations.

Palate is fairly round and large. Controlled sweetness and cherry cough drop lozenge like fruit sensations. Chewy backbone. Very large malt and oaky coating mouthfeel, fills every crevice of the mouth with a great round character. Simple. Easy drinking. Some faint tartness on the swallow with some faint cinnamon character.

It may be a sweeter example but it's certainly a fun drinkable lambic.

3.51/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

aroma: like a cherry cough medicine with upfront cherry/artificial cherry notes

taste: like a cherry lemonade, sweeter than I expected, with cherry and sherbert the two flavours that dominated the palate.

overall: a very nice mouthfeel with good carbonation and sweetness. As expected the cherry dominated, although a touch too sweet for my personal preferences - a little bit of sourness would have been nice. Nevertheless, a very nice drink, with it being very easy to consume a large amount of this beer in one session.

I can definitely picture a group of friends consuming this, sitting on a balcony, on a hot summer afternoon.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a flute, the beer is a dark, vibrant, ruby red coloring that is blood-like in its depths and bright ruby around the edges. Tall, frothy, bubbly, pink colored head that starts a tall couple of inches and settles unevenly into a sparse surface coating. Aromas of rich, sugary sweet cherry, both tart and darkly sweet. The nose is similar to cherry cough drops. Flavors are sugar and syrupy sweet cherry, almost like a maraschino, with a bitter tartness at the tail end of the palate. Smooth, thin body that gets frothy and effervescent at the end. Richly sweet cherry aftertaste, with a solid linger following a slick, clean finish.

4.09/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A beautiful pink/red color. Small head, but well-retained. Somewhat clear, but color precludes seeing through it. Definitely looks good.

Smell: Fruity, sweet, a little floral. Also honestly smells a little like cough syrup, but not in a bad way.

Taste: Delicious. Cherry, of course, tangy, sweet, but not too sweet. Almost tastes a little like hibiscus, too. Moves from a little tangy to sweet to more tangy.

Mouthfeel: Somewhere between heavy and light, a little sticky, good carbonation.

Overall: I really like this a lot. Don't fully remember the Kasteel Rouge, but I think I like this just as much.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Reddish, effervescent body with no head

Aroma: Fruity; cherry candy smell

Taste: Tart; very smooth; no hop notes in the flavor at all

Remarks: A very pleasant flavor overall

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz to snifter

Pours a dark ruby red with a half finger of pink foam. Chunks of yeast speckle the bottom of the glass, high carbonation stemming from the middle. Head has receded pretty quickly, lacing isn't too bad

Smells upfront cherry with a sweet malt base. Smells syrupy and almost artificial, sort of like cheap cough medicine. Not really any tartness, this aroma is pretty one dimensional

Taste is on the nose as expected, big upfront cherry rush followed by a sweet malty after taste. Cherries are pretty rich and come across vibrantly

Feel as I thought is a bit thick and syrupy. Extremely mild tartness, and no alcohol, which probably wasn't hard at 4%

Overall this is sort of like drinking a jolly rancher soda. Big burst of taste, except that's pretty much all there is to this. Not terrible, but I wish it had a lot less sweet and a lot more sour

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The more I drink this, the more I love it. As a beverage, not as a beer. This is my go-to brew when I've had enough at home and I'm about to hit the sack, and I want to clear my palate before brushing my teeth, the same way I chew some pickled ginger after eating sushi.

I prefer drinking this poured into a round burgundy wine glass. It hits the palate better that way than in the traditional tall lambic glass.

The smell, and the flavor, are so very black cherry, sweet, and extremely sour. I liken the flavor to Cherry Sucrets cough drops, and I have loved the sweet cherry sourness of Cherry Sucrets since I was a kid.

A friend of mine finds it too sour. Maybe you will too. But to me this is what really distinguishes this beer and makes it my top choice of lambics.

This is a beer I keep in my fridge 100% of the time. I drink one or two bottles a week, out of the 20 or so bottles of beer I drink in a week.

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – A dark ruby red color with a reddish pink head that sticks around as a thin layer for a long time. Leaves a cobweb like lacing.

Smell – Cherry bomb. Mostly sweet, but also a hint of sourness. Awesome!

Taste – A sweet cherry flavor with a very light touch of sour. It may be borderline too sweet, but at the same time, it's extremely tasty. This is one of the great lambics in my opinion.

Mouthfeel – Kind of a fine champagne feel (not taste), with a very mild sourness and a cherry aftertaste.

Drinkability – Incredibly drinkable. Far better than most other lambics I’ve tried that are too sour for me.

3.83/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a soft, ruby color, mostly hazy with a tiny bit of clarity along the edges. The pink-tinted head piles up like a fluffy cloud and just sits, menacingly atop the lambic. Huge, chunky lacing stays plastered along all sides of the glass. The aroma is full on, sweet and sour cherries. An intense fruity tartness that tickles the nostrils right from the get-go. Mild yeast and and alcoholic tones give the mild "wine-like" smell, but make no mistake - the aroma is full-on cherry, and not grape in the slightest. The aroma is very intoxicating and starts working hard on the saliva glands with each whiff.

To no one's surprise at all, the flavor is a densely packed with ripe, juicy, tart, and sweet cherries. A nearly puckering sour element opens up immediately and tests out the taste buds. The tartness eventually transitions into a sweetness that lasts well into the finish, almost with a sugary or candied flavor to it. Very mild (and I mean VERY mild) woody and corky flavors with a touch of yeast, but cherries are the real star of the show here. I'd be foolish to try and list other fruits, but reasonably so - cherries are the only flavor here. A bit one dimensional, but you kind of know what you're getting into before you buy this one, right? Slightly sweet and nearly dry finish, thin body, carbonated well.

I might be biased because I love cherries, but this may be the best of the Lineman's lambics (well, the ones that are readily available on most stores' shelves). Nice tart and sweet qualities, easy to drink, and satisfying overall. Sort of a one-trick pony, but it's almost to be expected here. A good introduction to the style without getting to much into the funk side of things.

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%

Live Review. Poured from the 750 ML bottle that I bought several years ago into a clean, clear glass. The bottle spent most of that time in my basement and then the past few weeks in my fridge. LF13HKR stamped on the label, for what that it's worth. I do not recall what I paid for it. My best recollection is that I bought it at Rozi's in Lakewood all that time ago.

A Translucent cherry red body under a brief pinkish head that is short lived. Within 60 seconds the head went down to a single layer. Rather typical I think. Bottom of the bottle was much darker with sediment disturbed floating about. That helps the look in my book. 3.5

S Pleasant black cherry, wheat and minimal alcohol smell. No hops detected. Not acidic like some others that I have smelled. 4.0

T Taste carries right from the smell. Black Cherry tartness, nice unfiltered wheat and very little alcohol and no perceived hops. A lot of sweetness and while that is welcome it is also part of the style. Good tasting beer. 4.0

M Kind of "flat" which is typical of the style. The sugary black cherry sweetness thickens up the feel. I think that the feel is really typical of the style. 3.0

D/O Drinkability is very high due in part to the relatively low ABV and the black cherry goodness that keeps you coming back for more. Overall this is a fine Kriek Lambic. 3.5

3.44/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This pours a rosy-red color topped by a strawberry-tinged foam. Makes me think of … Big Red.
There’s a sweetly cherry-like aroma. More candied maraschino than anything fresh. The flavor is just to the wrong side of cloying—think cough drops, cough syrup, and a smooth, sickly sweet artificial cherry flavor. It’s a fun one to share but not something I’d seek out to drink all for myself alone. (That said, I’d definitely mix it—a plug of the kreik in a pint of chocolate stout works wonders.)

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a utopia snifter. Purchased in Wakefield ri.

A- pours a bright red, cool-aid like body with a beautiful red frothy head that exhibits medium retention and leaves blotchy lacing.

S- light Maraschino cherries, a little bit of funk with an acidic vinegar note in the background.

T- huge tart cherry and apple notes. Cider like. Like a very acidic cherry infused cider. Not much that resembles beer, but not in a bad way. Minimal aftertaste

M- highly carbonated, crisp, and refreshing. Light body. Super super easy drinker, it really quenched my thirst.

I'll have to admit, this is only the second kriek lambic I've tried, so I really have nothing to compare it to (except Sam Adams barrel room kriek, and this one blows it out of the water).

I really liked the overall presentation and flavors of this beer. It looked nice, the taste was somewhat one dimensional but I enjoyed it, and it was super refreshing and drinkable. My rating may be higher than I would have rated it in the future, but for now the rating stands. I really enjoyed it.

4.24/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a flute at cellar temperature.

L – Deep cherry-red color with a head that nearly takes up the entire glass at first pour and fades down to a still huge, 4-finger frothy, rocky, pink head. Great retention and awesome patchy lacing. It’s a tiny, tiny bit hazy in terms of clarity with a good amount of bubbles.

S – Black cherries, the vinegary twang of Acetobacter, and the musty barnyard aromas of Brettanomyces. All of the elements you could ask for in a lambic.

T – The taste pretty much consists of sweet and sour black cherries. There’s some musty funk that appears near the finish from the Brett. It’s not sour in a mouth-puckering way by any means but the tartness is there.

F – Light-to-medium-bodied with great carbonation, a sticky and mouth-coating feel, and a tart, funky, and dry finish. Sour cherry and some barnyard funk flavors linger nicely.

O – This is a tasty fruit lambic. I know it doesn’t have a terrific score here, but it is a great example of the style. Maybe it doesn’t have all the complexity that some of the better lambics have, but I don’t think that warrants a sub-4 score. Maybe people are expecting something a bit sourer. If you like cherries and tartness, you will like this beer.

Lindemans Kriek from Brouwerij Lindemans