Lindemans Kriek | Brouwerij Lindemans

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by Quaffer on 07-28-2001

Reviews: 514 | Ratings: 1,193
3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

Cloudy pinkish ruby hue. Light pinkish white head that turns into a film, but remain satisfying to look at. Explosion of cherries in the nose, extreme sweetness that approaches vanilla. Very mild wheat acidity, but seriously too sweet to refresh. Cloying finish, lively carbonation, medium soft body.

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

It's a little strange drinking a beer that tastes more like fruit juice than beer, but what a nice strange it is. The great maroon color and cherry smell really pique the curiosity and let you know that you're in for something different. The cherry flavor is unlike your standard run-of-the-mill fruit beer and is quite smooth and authentic. It has a very nice feel, with very fine carbonation that cleanse the pallate. It's not something that you'd want to drink all night simply because it is sweet and meant as an apertif (imo), but that that isn't meant to take anything away.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

This is a very "different" beer, quite unlike any of the lambics I've sampled in the past. This beer has a dark ruby color and pours with a nice sized head with a nice pinkish hue. The aroma is of sweet cherries and yeast. Upfront the palate is hit with a tart, mouth-pukering cherry assault.

This is a superb lambic and makes for a great dessert beer. It should not be consumed in quantity as it becomes rather sweet after a glass or two. However, the alcohol is relatively low at only 4% ABV.

4.74/5  rDev +22.2%

A: Hazy deep red in color. Initial 1/2" head dissipated quickly to a thin layer of foam leaving no lacing.

S: Super lucious cherry smell overwhelms the nose. Just a hint of a sourness that tempers the sweet smells perfectly. The cherry smell is very natural, and just what I expected after popping the cork on this one. Unreal how good this smells.

T: I'm at a loss. I still can't believe that lambics are categorized as beer. This offering has an incredibly natural tasting cherry flavor to it. The fruitiness is very strong, and balanced out by the lambic sourness to perfection. I can't imagine putting sugar in this beer to sweeten it. It's perfect just the way it is. Fruity, not cloyingly sweet. Aftertaste is a long lingering sourness.

M: Carbonation level seems higher than the Peche lambic I had earlier, and serves to carry the flavors throughout the mouth and some of the aromas back to the nose. Nice and tart, just a bit dry. Alcohol is barely noticeable, but at 4% that should be expected.

D&N: An absolutely perfect dessert beer, or a beer for any other time. The only reason this doesn't get a five on this one is the price. $10 a bottle is pretty steep, but once in a while, tis very worth it. If you haven't tried this one yet, what are you waiting for?

Appearance: Pours a nice deep ruby with a fizzy little head of pink stained foam.

Smell: Very nice. Full cherry and some light rotten lambic fermentation.

Taste: Initially a sweet dose of cherry fades to leave a suprisingly satisfying pucker of tartness. Again, some light lambic funk, some earthy notes of grass or soil, and that great tart cherry flavor. Not the same as a Flanders Red/Oud Bruin or as sour, but still nicely done.

Mouthfeel: Light and well carbonated, but also more full than the other Lindeman's lambics I've had.

Drinkability: It's very good and I could sip quite a few of these, but after awhile the sweetness of all the Lindeman's lambics turn me off. IMO, the best of their offerings.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I wasn't a big fan of fruit beers, but now that I've had a few of these lambics, they're growing on me. Poured out a nice deep cherry red color with a huge amount of carbonation that took a while for it to settle. Smell was all cherries. Even though it was only one element, it was very pleasing to the nose. Taste was tart with lots of dark cherries. Wasn't as tart as the other fruit lambic's. Good dessert brew.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

12 ounce bottle

Pours a deep maroon with small white lace around the top of the beer. Smell is great, cherries with a hint of wood. Taste is very fruity and sweet yet finishes dry. Mouthfeel is just like a glass of fruit punch. In my opinion, drinkability is not that great. One serving of this beer is enough for me for one night. I just love the cherry taste of this one.

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance – This poured a beautiful, deep dark raspberry purple. The head settled slowly into pits of foam along the top of the liquid and a thick, purplish-white ring around the glass.

Smell – The deep, dark aroma of black cherries came out perfectly at the nose. They hit the nose dead on here. I love the smell of black cherries and this was exactly it.

Taste – Oh, yes. The flavor here is super sweet and extremely powerful. I can pick up what seems like a small malt base, but it’s the sharp dark cherries that blow me away at the tongue. I would have liked to have seen a little more complexity here, but boy they have that black cherry flavor down pat.

Mouthfeel – This one is actually medium-bodied with some foamy carbonation and enough tartness to make the drinker take note.

Drinkability – This is my favorite of the Lindemans thus far. I really enjoyed sipping this one down.

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%

When I poured it into the glass, a festive pink head danced up and quickly fell back down the glass. The lambic is a deep red/purple colour. When you put your nose to it, there is mostly black cherry and alcohol. And unfortunately, thats about all I got from this lambic. There no subtleties that I could detect. For this tongue, it was highly carbonated alcholic black cherry soda...it was nearly syrup.

I know I'm not alone in thinking that the colors of most Lineman's products especially the Framboise, and now the Kriek, seem downright un-natural? This stuff looks more like the color of a popscicle than a Kriek. Blazing cherry pie red with a nose that can only be jolly rancher red, the beer enters the mouth and even tastes like jolly rancher red-candied and very sweet, this is an after dinner drink or a dessert beer in my book. The beer has none of the sour that I love in the style. I guess this is just the ticket for the so called pepsi generation, but I'll throw my money at the likes of De Ranke, that offer a more complex, complete, challenging, and thirst quenching Kriek. This is pure sugar and would make a nice flavor for a kids breakfast cereal-perhaps one called "."Lindenberries." Maybe they could add little hop shaped crunchies?

4.37/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I started drinking beer twenty years ago. And now I feed sad I waited this long to try a Lambic. For the longest time I couldn't stand the thought of fruits being present in my beer. But after having tried this elixir, my mind is free, and the scales on my eyes have fallen off. What an awesome beer. It does not taste at all like a wine cooler, mixed drink, or a malternative, as I was afraid it would. Instead this has a naturally refreshing, mature character that is typical of the best beers I have ever tasted. Very different than other beers in many respects, but very similar to them in terms of it's purpose of existence.

Pours a shockingly cloudy, dark cherry red with pink effervescent foam that dissipates rapidly. The smell is all cherry along with fresh tilled earth and cut grass. Very sour and crisp with a creamy sweetness that is surprisingly non cloying. Not perceptibly hopped, so no bitterness whatsoever. Clean uncomplicated mouthfeel and awesome drinkability. Bubbly and effervescent like a champagne, but without the puckering dryness. I’ll be back for more Lambics, and other beers that I was apprehensive about.

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

The beer pours a dark maroon color with a matching head. The aroma is good. It has a very tart cherry scent that pierces your nose; very nice. The taste is awesome. It is full of sour cherries and not much else. It refreshes on the way down. I love this beer. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer drinks great. I could drink about a gallon of this stuff; a good sessions beer.

3.18/5  rDev -18%

Bottle has a nice classy cork under the cap, but the thing can get kind of dried out as I think most folks store beer upright not on its side like wine. The color is very red, almost like soda pop (like Big Red or Cherwine) and the head is pink and rocky. The aroma is very, very cherry along with a faint sour note that reminds me of cranberry juice. The beer lacks some of the more funky lambic type aromas, which may be good in some folks' opinions. The flavor is a blend of tartness, strong cherry notes, along with some slight puckery astringency and a pretty good dose of sweetness to counteract the tartness. The beer is tasty overall but it doesn't go out on a limb like some of the other lambics. Still it is pleasant and it may be a good beer to suggest to a friend who isn't really into other craft beers. In contrast to Cherish, another kriek, Lindeman's seems a little more aggressive with the sourness but not by much.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Enjoyed by sampling from a friend's birthday present. Though I took off the cap, I was surprised to find a cork underneath. Pours a dark blood red color, really heavy red. Head is reddish/white, lacy and thick. Smell is tart and sugary. Taste is one of the sweetest beers I've ever had, and not malty sweet, but SUGAR sweet, quite unique. Cherries, cherries, cherries! Overwhelming taste of cherries, not any hops detectable, but the bitter, tart flavor is fairly complex and enjoyable. This beer surprised me. The sweetest drinkable beverage I have ever had.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Pop the cap, and hidden underneath is a cork. Seems pretty serious about sealing this brew! Pours a clear reddish purple with a pink busy fizzy head that sticks around for a bit. The strong, nearly overwhelming scent of sweet black cherries comes flailing out with nothing more than a note of tartness along with it. The taste mimics the aromas along with a light carb trailing into a sweet-tart candy-like finish. I feel like I'm drinking a dessert! Perhaps a beer that I could finally get the woman in my life to
like ;-). This is a good beverage, but not one I could drink much of at one sitting. Op uw gezonheid!

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Sampled at From The Vine beer tasting Jan 9th, 2004: This beer is a bright maroon color with a thin white head. Aroma of black cherries. Mouthfeel like sparkling wine, with a strong tart cherry flavor throughout. The finish is dry and fruity. This is very drinkable after you recover from the initial blast of cherry.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours deep cherry with a modest sized light pink head. An excellent looking beer. Laces well and lasts a while.

Obviously a strong aroma of diverse cherries...all kinds....very pleasing with sweet and sour scents as well.

Starts out very sweet, sourness comes out on the mid-palate. Then, a large amount of cherries come in on the finish followed by more sourness. I really like this beer and I am starting to really like the style. This particular one is a little too sweet for my liking. I was looking for more of a deep cherry flavor and a little more tartness. Nonetheless, this is a tasty ale!

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

KREEK - tastes like creek water, just kidding. They call this beer?? These beers with corks should be called lite wines. Nothing like other beers, very fruity.. but very tame, subtle, and still a bit complex. Yes, its sugary, and tart, that doesn't neccessarily make it horrid, just very different. The overpowering (to me) yeasts and sour cherry flavor tell me to pass this one to the women.

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%

Hazy ruby with a pink head. Laces in webs, well carbonated.
The aroma is full of cherry, very strong a combination of sour and sweet, maybe they use both black and red cherries, or it's just sweetness from the malt and my nose is playing tricks on me.
Nicely tart, the taste is sour cherry, just light malt under the cherry taste. Sweet cherry comes through next once you're used to the tartness. Not terribly complex as it's just a blend between cherry/sweet/sour in the aroma and flavor departments.
I love it but it never seems like I'm drinking a beer. I like to have this after dinner.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

pours a bright eye pleasing red with a pink bubbly head. champagne like carbonation with tons of bubbles racing to the surface. very nice lacing. big aroma of cherries takes control and thats all she wrote. taste wise? tart and tangy, cherries all over the place. the bit of maltiness that does come through is yeasty and breadlike but it can't hold a candle to the onslaught of cherries. light and bubbly, it dances all over your tongue and finishes slightly puckering. as real taste explosion and while it isn't something you can drink by the gallons, it is a wonderful treat and always hits the spot.

paid $4.99 for 12oz.

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

Bright rosy red color, huge pink head.
Nose is utterly decadent, sweet and sugary, bold cherries, yet also sour, like SweeTarts candies!
Taste: right off, puckering sour, yet also sweet from the fruit, a constant fandango between the tastes.
Full mouthfeel, tantalizing texture.
Tartness lessens some toward the end, and then, it's pure heaven!

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%

355ml foil wrapped, corked green bottle. Pours a cascade of dark cherry wildness into a snifter with a two finger light pink head. Very attractive lacing of the same hue, but with some tiny beige bubbles. Bouquet of fresh dark cherries is intoxicating. It's sinful to taste. Light notes of hops and soft malt remind you that this is an ale. The Chantilly lace on the glass keeps reminding me that thiis Lambic cherry ale is very tasty. You can find this ale at most pubs/cafes in the Low Countries of western Europe. It's not cheap there, either.

Near perfect if you like cherries with your ale.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

This is a tasty lambic, though I must say I prefer their Framboise. Just more tart and interesting. Anyway. Took the cork out and was not pleased with the initial aroma. It was rather musty and I thought for a moment I had a skunky beer. I let it go though, and now once I pour it its true aromas come out. Though I have to say the bottle still smells a little rotten. I've poured it. Now the scent reminds me of my backyard when I was a kid in the spring. Smells like those berries I was told never to eat, trees, and a mild tart cherry aroma.

Very appealing brew. The head retains rather well atop a beautiful, effervescent cherry red body. I was quite surprised that this beer was not as carbonated as I expected, nor was it overly sweet or tart. Never really at any point makes my lips pucker. Has a mellow cherry flavor to it that is not overdone in any way. It could actually use some more tartness to liven things up a little. A nice Lambic to have every now and then, and it gives me a chance to break out my proper Lambic glassware...woo hoo!

3.52/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Not really sure how I feel about it. I'm used to fruity beer that tastes like Zima, so this was a nice change. The cherry aroma was nice if a bit artificial seeming, but the underlying mustiness scared me. Taste was a very nice balance of sweet and tart, but a cardboard aftertaste really killed it for me. Very welldone for a fruit beer IMHO, but I'm no expert on the style. I'll try others, so I'll give good marks just for encouraging me to try more of a style I've been neglecting.

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured rby red with very little head;almost looked fizzy, serious full cheery aroma, becomes a creamy cherry smell on second whiff, felt little carbonation on the tonguesoft creamy cherry taste, not to sweet or sour.Before the day was done I had called 5 people recommending that they try this

Lindemans Kriek from Brouwerij Lindemans