Microbrew Invitational

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by Quaffer on 07-28-2001

Reviews: 514 | Ratings: 1,198
3.48/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a flute, the beer is a dark, vibrant, ruby red coloring that is blood-like in its depths and bright ruby around the edges. Tall, frothy, bubbly, pink colored head that starts a tall couple of inches and settles unevenly into a sparse surface coating. Aromas of rich, sugary sweet cherry, both tart and darkly sweet. The nose is similar to cherry cough drops. Flavors are sugar and syrupy sweet cherry, almost like a maraschino, with a bitter tartness at the tail end of the palate. Smooth, thin body that gets frothy and effervescent at the end. Richly sweet cherry aftertaste, with a solid linger following a slick, clean finish.

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A beautiful pink/red color. Small head, but well-retained. Somewhat clear, but color precludes seeing through it. Definitely looks good.

Smell: Fruity, sweet, a little floral. Also honestly smells a little like cough syrup, but not in a bad way.

Taste: Delicious. Cherry, of course, tangy, sweet, but not too sweet. Almost tastes a little like hibiscus, too. Moves from a little tangy to sweet to more tangy.

Mouthfeel: Somewhere between heavy and light, a little sticky, good carbonation.

Overall: I really like this a lot. Don't fully remember the Kasteel Rouge, but I think I like this just as much.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Reddish, effervescent body with no head

Aroma: Fruity; cherry candy smell

Taste: Tart; very smooth; no hop notes in the flavor at all

Remarks: A very pleasant flavor overall

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

12oz to snifter

Pours a dark ruby red with a half finger of pink foam. Chunks of yeast speckle the bottom of the glass, high carbonation stemming from the middle. Head has receded pretty quickly, lacing isn't too bad

Smells upfront cherry with a sweet malt base. Smells syrupy and almost artificial, sort of like cheap cough medicine. Not really any tartness, this aroma is pretty one dimensional

Taste is on the nose as expected, big upfront cherry rush followed by a sweet malty after taste. Cherries are pretty rich and come across vibrantly

Feel as I thought is a bit thick and syrupy. Extremely mild tartness, and no alcohol, which probably wasn't hard at 4%

Overall this is sort of like drinking a jolly rancher soda. Big burst of taste, except that's pretty much all there is to this. Not terrible, but I wish it had a lot less sweet and a lot more sour

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Red color with pinkish head. Aroma has intense sour cherry juice and sweet cherry candy. Taste is sweet but also tart, like cherry candy, not really artificial but sweetened. Body is quite light with good carbonation, really easy to drink. One of the best sweetened lambics, even of the best sweet fruit beers.

4.23/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The more I drink this, the more I love it. As a beverage, not as a beer. This is my go-to brew when I've had enough at home and I'm about to hit the sack, and I want to clear my palate before brushing my teeth, the same way I chew some pickled ginger after eating sushi.

I prefer drinking this poured into a round burgundy wine glass. It hits the palate better that way than in the traditional tall lambic glass.

The smell, and the flavor, are so very black cherry, sweet, and extremely sour. I liken the flavor to Cherry Sucrets cough drops, and I have loved the sweet cherry sourness of Cherry Sucrets since I was a kid.

A friend of mine finds it too sour. Maybe you will too. But to me this is what really distinguishes this beer and makes it my top choice of lambics.

This is a beer I keep in my fridge 100% of the time. I drink one or two bottles a week, out of the 20 or so bottles of beer I drink in a week.

4.68/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – A dark ruby red color with a reddish pink head that sticks around as a thin layer for a long time. Leaves a cobweb like lacing.

Smell – Cherry bomb. Mostly sweet, but also a hint of sourness. Awesome!

Taste – A sweet cherry flavor with a very light touch of sour. It may be borderline too sweet, but at the same time, it's extremely tasty. This is one of the great lambics in my opinion.

Mouthfeel – Kind of a fine champagne feel (not taste), with a very mild sourness and a cherry aftertaste.

Drinkability – Incredibly drinkable. Far better than most other lambics I’ve tried that are too sour for me.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a soft, ruby color, mostly hazy with a tiny bit of clarity along the edges. The pink-tinted head piles up like a fluffy cloud and just sits, menacingly atop the lambic. Huge, chunky lacing stays plastered along all sides of the glass. The aroma is full on, sweet and sour cherries. An intense fruity tartness that tickles the nostrils right from the get-go. Mild yeast and and alcoholic tones give the mild "wine-like" smell, but make no mistake - the aroma is full-on cherry, and not grape in the slightest. The aroma is very intoxicating and starts working hard on the saliva glands with each whiff.

To no one's surprise at all, the flavor is a densely packed with ripe, juicy, tart, and sweet cherries. A nearly puckering sour element opens up immediately and tests out the taste buds. The tartness eventually transitions into a sweetness that lasts well into the finish, almost with a sugary or candied flavor to it. Very mild (and I mean VERY mild) woody and corky flavors with a touch of yeast, but cherries are the real star of the show here. I'd be foolish to try and list other fruits, but reasonably so - cherries are the only flavor here. A bit one dimensional, but you kind of know what you're getting into before you buy this one, right? Slightly sweet and nearly dry finish, thin body, carbonated well.

I might be biased because I love cherries, but this may be the best of the Lineman's lambics (well, the ones that are readily available on most stores' shelves). Nice tart and sweet qualities, easy to drink, and satisfying overall. Sort of a one-trick pony, but it's almost to be expected here. A good introduction to the style without getting to much into the funk side of things.

3.77/5  rDev -2.8%

Live Review. Poured from the 750 ML bottle that I bought several years ago into a clean, clear glass. The bottle spent most of that time in my basement and then the past few weeks in my fridge. LF13HKR stamped on the label, for what that it's worth. I do not recall what I paid for it. My best recollection is that I bought it at Rozi's in Lakewood all that time ago.

A Translucent cherry red body under a brief pinkish head that is short lived. Within 60 seconds the head went down to a single layer. Rather typical I think. Bottom of the bottle was much darker with sediment disturbed floating about. That helps the look in my book. 3.5

S Pleasant black cherry, wheat and minimal alcohol smell. No hops detected. Not acidic like some others that I have smelled. 4.0

T Taste carries right from the smell. Black Cherry tartness, nice unfiltered wheat and very little alcohol and no perceived hops. A lot of sweetness and while that is welcome it is also part of the style. Good tasting beer. 4.0

M Kind of "flat" which is typical of the style. The sugary black cherry sweetness thickens up the feel. I think that the feel is really typical of the style. 3.0

D/O Drinkability is very high due in part to the relatively low ABV and the black cherry goodness that keeps you coming back for more. Overall this is a fine Kriek Lambic. 3.5

3.44/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This pours a rosy-red color topped by a strawberry-tinged foam. Makes me think of … Big Red.
There’s a sweetly cherry-like aroma. More candied maraschino than anything fresh. The flavor is just to the wrong side of cloying—think cough drops, cough syrup, and a smooth, sickly sweet artificial cherry flavor. It’s a fun one to share but not something I’d seek out to drink all for myself alone. (That said, I’d definitely mix it—a plug of the kreik in a pint of chocolate stout works wonders.)

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a utopia snifter. Purchased in Wakefield ri.

A- pours a bright red, cool-aid like body with a beautiful red frothy head that exhibits medium retention and leaves blotchy lacing.

S- light Maraschino cherries, a little bit of funk with an acidic vinegar note in the background.

T- huge tart cherry and apple notes. Cider like. Like a very acidic cherry infused cider. Not much that resembles beer, but not in a bad way. Minimal aftertaste

M- highly carbonated, crisp, and refreshing. Light body. Super super easy drinker, it really quenched my thirst.

I'll have to admit, this is only the second kriek lambic I've tried, so I really have nothing to compare it to (except Sam Adams barrel room kriek, and this one blows it out of the water).

I really liked the overall presentation and flavors of this beer. It looked nice, the taste was somewhat one dimensional but I enjoyed it, and it was super refreshing and drinkable. My rating may be higher than I would have rated it in the future, but for now the rating stands. I really enjoyed it.

4.24/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a flute at cellar temperature.

L – Deep cherry-red color with a head that nearly takes up the entire glass at first pour and fades down to a still huge, 4-finger frothy, rocky, pink head. Great retention and awesome patchy lacing. It’s a tiny, tiny bit hazy in terms of clarity with a good amount of bubbles.

S – Black cherries, the vinegary twang of Acetobacter, and the musty barnyard aromas of Brettanomyces. All of the elements you could ask for in a lambic.

T – The taste pretty much consists of sweet and sour black cherries. There’s some musty funk that appears near the finish from the Brett. It’s not sour in a mouth-puckering way by any means but the tartness is there.

F – Light-to-medium-bodied with great carbonation, a sticky and mouth-coating feel, and a tart, funky, and dry finish. Sour cherry and some barnyard funk flavors linger nicely.

O – This is a tasty fruit lambic. I know it doesn’t have a terrific score here, but it is a great example of the style. Maybe it doesn’t have all the complexity that some of the better lambics have, but I don’t think that warrants a sub-4 score. Maybe people are expecting something a bit sourer. If you like cherries and tartness, you will like this beer.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 37.5cl bottle into a Lindeman's flute.
It pours a deep cherry red, with a pale pink head. The head quickly turns to lace.
As soon as you pull the cork, you get the overwhelming cherry smell. The smell is so overwhelming it seems it might overpower the beer.
The taste has minimal cherry. It tastes of a light cherry Italian soda. Extremely sweet. It has very little of the traditional Lambic "barnyard" funk.
There is a moderate amount of carbonation, which adds to the Italian soda feel. It is very dry, and goes down quite easy.
A good starting point for someone interested into Lambics, especially for someone who is unsure how they might feel about the funk typically associated with it. My wife enjoys this beer and it is a good one for an after dinner or dessert beer. Would go great with chocolate cake especially a German chocolate cake.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

No bottle date:

Pours dark red with rosy pink satin surface sheets. SMells like cherries, darker ones with a bit of wood and sugar. Taste is deeply cherry with plenty of sweetness and a hearty tone at the base - just simply carbonated, concentrated cherry juice here in my face. Light syrup with low to moderate carb and a wet finish. Very standard and tasty for the lineup. Lindeman's seems to me to be great beer, so long as you know what you're getting yourself into.

3.67/5  rDev -5.4%

This was good as a treat. Would pair well with strong cheese plate to balance the sweetness, but we tried it with dessert - sweetness overload! Great cherry aroma and flavor, nice sour hit on the back end. Cold is a must...not very pleasant as it warmed up. Very champagne-like, light mouthfeel, minimal aftertaste, maybe a tad bit sweet for my tastes. Wasn't what I expected - different and interesting style for sure. Liked, would drink again, but would not use with dessert.

this is exactly what a kriek should be, this is the definition of the style really. pours cloudy and pink, champaigne looking carbonation, and a fizzing white head about half an inch tall. the nose is tart from the yeast and from the cherries, a little sweet but not at all overdone. flavor is really true to black cherry, fresh not dried. sweet, but made tart and puckery by the yeast. its still a little sugary in terms of feel, but in a dessert setting i think it is a positive attribute. the fruit juice and the yeast work together better in this beer than in almost any other out there in my experience. super intense carbonation and an alredy light body make this really exciting in the mouth. a great bottle to share after a thanksgiving feast or similar celebration, not something you would drink every day.

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%

I was honestly disappointed. The appearance was fine. Smell, strong cherry. The taste was faintly like cherry cough syrup. Mouthfeel, light carbonation. Overall, anti-climatic. Starts out decently, but leaves the cheery cough syrup aftertaste on the palette.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Beer soda, sweet lambic. Served in a Lindemann's flute glass. Beer is bright red / ruby pink with a pink head of small bubbles, low retention, some lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is cherries.

Beer is sweet, like soda, finishes sweet, it is actually sweeter than most sodas I drink, very cherry, mild tartness, mild everything. I enjoy it but it is overpowering. This is a good beer to have around for guests or parents when they come and visit.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Nice clear red colour, pink and frothy head, a lot of lacing and good head retention;

S: A very strong and sweet cherry with some hint of a spicyness;

T: Starts with sweet fruit, not just cherry, hints of strawberry and cranberry, but the sweetness along with most of the strong fruit flavours fade and a tartness comes in, although not that sour;

M: Medium bodied, thick and syrupy mouthfeel, decent level of carbonation;

O: Good Kriek if you like it on the sweet side, gives you a strong red fruit, highly drinkable, pretty much a dessert in a bottle!

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

Fills a white wine glass a beautiful cherry color that ranges to a cloudy sunset red. No head or lace was present.

Reminiscent of Hawaiian Punch or Smith Bros. Cherry Cough Drops.

Sweet! Very sweet. Cherry cough syrup. Some tart cranberries are also discernible.

Slick with a medium body that leaves a syrupy coating.

This is a fun dessert beer reminiscent in flavor and spirit of fruit striped gum.

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

After purchasing the Lindeman's stange (a while ago so I could have a stange), I saw this beer and decided what's better than owning the glassware - trying the beer that labels the glass.

Here goes (this is my first lambic, bear with me):

Into a stange:

A: deep ruby red/purple colored body with a one and a half finger fluffy lumpy light pink head that lasts a good five minutes. I couldn't see any carbonation because the body was too dark.

S: black cherries up front and dominating, some light barley and dark fruits. Just a tad of sourness comes out.

T: decent combination between the sweet black cherries and sour cherries. Some spice mixes in with the barley.

M: light to medium body giving a "soda" feel to the beer as the carbonation makes itself present. Still, this is very easy to drink. With the low ABV, this is very sessionable.

O: is this a beer? Ok, I know this is my first lambic, but, I'm not sure what else to say other than I wouldn't mind trying others of this style. I'll get this again when I have a malt drinker over to my house and they say they want a beer. I'll give them this just so I can see the look on their face.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

From 08/02/12 notes. A 375ml bottle picked up earlier that day into a tulip.

a - Pours a deep ruby red-purple color with one finger of fluffy light pink head and moderate carbonation evident. Looks great.

s - Smells of black cherries, sweet dark fruits, spice, Belgian yeast, and a small twinge of sourness. Sweeter than sour, reminds me a lot of black cherry soda.

t - Tastes of sweet black cherries, sour cherries and dark fruits, spice, Belgian yeast, fruity malts, and black cherry soda. Dead ringer for the soda.

m - Light to medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Easy to drink.

o - Overall I liked this one a lot, more so than the Framboise I had last week from them. Neither are sour, but both are great sweet fruit beers, with a little bit of a Belgian kick to them. I like cherry a little better and this reminded me of black cherry soda, so I'd choose this over the other, but both are great and worth trying.

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a small bottle into a proper Lindemans glass. It pours out clear and red with a frothy pink foam. Nose is sweet and strong. Lots and lots of cherries along with some wood and a hint of tobacco.

Nice effervescence opens the palate and wakes up the taste buds. Strong cherry flavor on the front of the palate is balanced between sweet and sour and meshes well with the wheaty backbone. Sweetness takes over at mid-palate and stays through the finish. Finish has some tannins and is lemony, slightly dry, and mildly acidic, but not as much as one would expect from a lambic. The acidity is not exactly wine-like, more like ginger ale.

I have had this beer many times and finally decided to review it. It has the typical Lindemans sweetness and strong fruit flavors that I'm sure discourage hardcore fans of sour beers. Nevertheless, the beer is refreshing, pleasant to drink, and easy to find.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

A very sweet smell and taste with a mild sourness. Kind of tastes a bit like fruit juice. Not something I am always searching for in a beer but I am also not a beer snob who thinks fruit has absolutely no place in beer. I love hopped to hell beers but the occasional fruit beer is nice and I love the idea of the fermentation process with wild yeast in lambics.

Merci d'avoir faire cette bière, Lindemans! C'est une bonne bière. Vive la bière belgique!

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Side of the bottle says brewed with fresh black cherrys. Nice to see it isn't extract. And when it pours it is the most elegant red I've ever seen. Nice bold red with a pink bubbly head. Very nice.

S: Tart cherry really comes through. Some sweetness. Certainly something different.

T: sweet and sour. The cherry doesn't come through as much as in the smell. It's like liquid candy... so be ready.

M: A little light and a little overly bubbly but

Overall a very nice beer. Certainly something different. Check it out if you get a chance.

Lindemans Kriek from Brouwerij Lindemans