Lindemans Kriek - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans KriekLindemans Kriek

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 07-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Kriek Alström Bros
akorsak

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

I am drinking a 750 mL C&C bottle poured into a Lancaster Malt Brewing Co. tumbler. The ale is cold and gradually warming.

The ale is a shade or two darker than a rosé, maybe closer to a raspberry color (despite the kriek moniker). The ale poured vigourously and left a nice lace around the glass.

Smell: Syruppy sweet, the cherry really comes through. The light malt presence also makes itself known, complimenting the cherries.

Taste: The syrup in this ale is upfront, imparting a very sweet taste in the ale. There is no hop presence to speak of and the malts are so overpowered by the syrup and fruit that it tastes as though one is drinking cherry juice, albeit it very good cherry juice.

Mouthfeel: The sweetness of the ale sits nicely on the tongue, very sweet, almost too sweet.

Drinkability: The only drawback is that could get to be too sweet. Otherwise, this a very interesting take on a lambic, one end of the extremes (lindemans=sweet, liefmans=sour).

01-14-2006 03:06:48 | More by akorsak
murphysbleachers

3.08/5  rDev -19.4%

355 ml bottle with cork and cap into a champagne flute:

Appearance: Beautiful, a deep cherry color and a pink head, nice retention, lacing on the side of the glass as I drink it.

Smell: Sweet/sour cherry candy, kind of syrupy. A little like cherry Nyquil.

Taste: Sweet like a cherry cough drop in the front, sour in a kind of medicinal way in the back.

Mouthfeel: More syrupy than I would have thought, kind of coats the mouth.

Drinkability: The flavor is a bit too much like cough syrup to make me want to have more than one glass. I would pass this over in favor of other Lindemans products (I was expecting more because I really enjoy the Framboise) .

Also of note: I reviewed this after reviewing the De Ranke Kriek earlier the same evening. I went back to the De Ranke after a glass of this.

12-23-2005 17:14:47 | More by murphysbleachers
DogFood11

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into a tall pilsner glass it forms a thick pillowy pink to red head that laces with thick coats all the way down.

Cherries are large and in charge in the smell. Some candied aroma as well.

I was surprised to find this beer so sweet rather than sour. Sour/tart notes are there but overpowered by sweet fruit, namely cherries. overall a nice tasting brew but this could get old fast as the sweetness lingers and is syrupy.

12-20-2005 03:33:34 | More by DogFood11
brentk56

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance: Pours a strawberry jello cloudy body with a salmon colored head that leaves enough splashy lacing; just can't get over the color

Smell: Musty sour cherry nose with a touch of balsa wood; the sweetness clearly peaks through

Taste: Starts out with a sweet cherry flavor that is joined by the sour notes; the sourness and sweetness build into the finish and the sour flavors win out at the very end; slightly cloying, nonetheless

Mouthfeel: Effervescent and light bodied

Drinkability: Awfully hard to drink a whole bottle of this sweet stuff; I'm not a fan of sour beers but the sweetness of this off-style lambic doesn't do it for me, either

12-18-2005 03:24:36 | More by brentk56
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

Ever had a Ludens cherry cough drop? If you answered yes then you know exactly what this beer looks, smells, and tastes like. None of the tartness that I cherish in cherry beers is more then faintly present here. This one is pure sweet cherries and syrup. It’s very medicinal, not quite to the point where it would resemble cough syrup but close. I find this to be too sweet and artificial tasting for me. I also think that the head could be more impressive and the aromas bigger. Overall I think that this might do well as a desert beer for women with sweet teeth but otherwise it’s pretty mediocre.

12-09-2005 21:56:46 | More by DaPeculierDane
daliandragon

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

I have to admit, although I like to try new things , I probably would not have bought this beer had I known it would cost me over five and a half signoranos for a twelve ounce bottle at the register. Better be worth it is all I can say.
Pours a very unbeerlike bright maroon with a pink tinged head that looks impressive. A bit fruity but still cool in appearance. The frothy head lasts and lasts. The nose is covered in cherries and sweet sugar, which is nice if not a classic beer odour.
Wow, the taste is face puckeringly sweet..and very black cherry. Nice in its own way although not like any beer I've ever tried before, more like the black cherry soda I used to buy from the ice cream man at my little league games back in the eighties. Mouthfeel is bubbly but okay.
This is drinkable but the price will likely keep me from trying Lindeman's other offerings. This is my first kriek so I wasn't sure what to expect. If you like sweet, liquor type beers you'll love this. Not really my cup of tea but you can definitely sense the craftsmanship and quality involved. Worth a shot if you've got the bucks.

11-27-2005 00:29:54 | More by daliandragon
DarkerTheBetter

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours red with a hint of orange with a slight haze. The head is a frosty white that leaves a slight lacing. Smells of cough drops and cherry life savers with a pungent yeasty sourness. Tastes like cherries and red grapes with a sharp sourness with some musky yeast. Mouth feel is light but a bit sticky with a slight, small bubble carbonation. The smell is the biggest turn off here, but it’s not too bad over all.

11-26-2005 14:57:34 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Joey7F

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

I gave a bottle of this to my sister for her 21st birthday. As of this posting, she is finally officially a fan of beer. This beer is incredibly sweet and tart. I personally find this harder to drink than the framboise, but still very nice. The smell is more sour black cherry than cherry pie.

I combined some of this with a bottle of Rogue's Chocolate stout (fear not, I allowed her and the whole family to try both individually) and found it to be a great combination. The roasty Rogue and the sweet / tart lambic made for an excellent, highly drinkable combination.

I wish I had more Lambics (and Chocolate stouts for that matter) to choose from :)

--Joey

11-14-2005 17:10:25 | More by Joey7F
Gueuzedude

Arizona

2.75/5  rDev -28%

As I pop the cork from this beer a strong note of sticky, sweet cherry hits my nose. The beer pours with a thickish dirty pink colored head. The beer is a red color with a pinkish tinge to it. The aroma has nothing but a sweet cherry drop candy note. The cherry is rich smelling but is missing the cherry pit note that is in good Krieks.

The taste has an over the top sweetness to it that really just dominates this beer in both palate and flavor. There is a strong cherry note as well, and perhaps a bit of cherry skin complexity thrown in as well, but overall this does not even have the fruit character that the Lindemans Framboise has. Simplistic and straight forward, it is perhaps a bit easier to drink than the Framboise, but I do like cherries better than raspberries. There is also a bit of tartness in the finish here, but this wisp of a flavor is all that says that this might be something that is Lambic base.

10-30-2005 23:09:52 | More by Gueuzedude
KarlHungus

3.35/5  rDev -12.3%

This brew pours a reddish brown with a large pink head. The aroma reminds me of cherry coke, but with more bit to it. The taste is strong. Damn strong. Cherries are everywhere, drowning out any other flavors. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this brew bores me. I simply can't see myself drinking a beer with such a simple flavor.

10-03-2005 19:46:52 | More by KarlHungus
stof0048

4.6/5  rDev +20.4%

*This is my first review so I will attempt to be as helpful as possible.
The Pour:
I used the glassware produced by the brewery for this beer. The lambic pours with a thin pink head and a fair amount of carbonation at you fill the glass. It pours a deep red, almost bergundy color.

Smell:
The smell is, as one would assume, of cherries and and one can even draw upon the sweetness of the beer just from its unique scent.

Taste:
Personally, I feel this kriek is the best of any. The mouthfeel is light and the taste is quite sweet (almost too sweet at times). I have had friends compare this lambic to juicy juice. I would have to say that I do not entirely disagree. However, is it such a bad thing? The cherry flavor becomes more powerful as the beer rolls over your tongue and hits the back of your throat. It is also somewhat sour at first... let it sit on the back of your tongue for a moment and you will find the perfect harmony between all of the beers qualities. The carbonation is definitely noticeable, but well matched for this particular beer.

Drinkability:
This is the only aspect of the beer that I do not rate incredibly high due to its sweetness. I find that I often have a hard time finishing the 750ml bottle myself so I often split it with a friend and find that I am still quite satisfied. I definitely don't advise drinking more than a full bottle of this as a stomach ache from all the sugar is assured at anything past that.

Overall, this is one of my favorite beers and love to endulge on special ocassions. Great lambic and overall teriffic beer.

10-03-2005 08:17:13 | More by stof0048
sinistermadman

Oregon

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a cloudy purple hued red while emitting a small fizzy head.

Smell: Slightly medicinal cherry laden nose.

Mouthfeel is very juicy with an almost negligible amount of carbonation. Taste kind of reminds me of flavored soda. Not bad but considering the cost there are plenty of other tastier brews I could have bought.

09-25-2005 01:01:20 | More by sinistermadman
TastyTaste

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

Dark red/purple color, with a very pink, very large head that fills the rest of the way to the top of a 16 oz. challice. Smell is sweet cherry, but not candy-like whatsoever. Taste is also cherry, tart and sweet, but much less than the other Lindeman's I have tried. Lots of cherry and a wheaty flavor, very clean and delicious, good, well carbonated body. Very good.

09-19-2005 02:29:06 | More by TastyTaste
TurdFurgison

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Presentation: Poured from a 750ml bottle into pilsner glasses.

Appearance: Pink with light pink foamy head.

Smell: Strong smell of cherries.

Taste: Extremely sweet, almost like cherry soda. Not my definition of beer flavor really, but a nice alternative to champagne...

Notes: My wife loves this flavor, so we've tried this several times. It's fun, but not my type of beer...

09-08-2005 11:42:47 | More by TurdFurgison
Vancer

Welp, quite an experience! This was defiantly something different – but very surprisingly good! A clear raspberry/red with a small whitish pink head – some laces on top. Aromas of a black cherry bourbon. Sweet to start along with some malts, but ends up finishing on the sour side. Very campaign like brew – thin, crisp and tart in the mouth, almost reminiscent of a soda.

Only had a 355ml starter bottle, was nervous about not liking it – but will be getting a big bomber next time as the daughter and wife both enjoyed their little pulls off my glass.

09-07-2005 12:45:53 | More by Vancer
nortmand

4.6/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours truly ruby red, with a big old fluff of pink foam.
Smell is sweet tarts, cherries and a light funk.
Tastes immediately sour. This mellows into a sweet cherry pie flavor. The end is total sour sock flavor. Very complex.
smooth and satisfactory. This is a nice introduction into the funky world of lambics. I enjoy this beer immensely

08-04-2005 02:11:27 | More by nortmand
palliko

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance is a cloudy burgundy with a (huh?) pink head of foam that descends into nice lacing. Aroma has sweet, with sour cherries and sweet-tarts. Body is too light, carbonation, though is good. Initial flavor is composed of sweet bing cherries and that settle into tart bitterness. Might go well with Cherries Jubilee.

07-17-2005 14:09:56 | More by palliko
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured out of the 375ml bottle a strawberry red, but settled in the glass a little hazier and deeper black cherry. The Airy light pink head was a nice touch. The aroma is filled with dark cherry puree filled with a candied medicine back. Rotted, tart cherries were also a dominant aroma.

The taste was very inviting and sweet with a tiny sour finish. I was hoping for a little more sourness in this. There was a little bit of a cloying sweetness that stuck to the tongue. Fresh cherry cider flavor was all this brew.

The cherry sweetness is much enjoyed at the beginning, but becomes a little intense towards the end. Definately see this becoming a must have on some bigger cities club's menus. I think I will grab an straight up Lambic or Guezue next time I am at the store.

07-15-2005 21:26:31 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
budsboy

4.05/5  rDev +6%

From notes.

Pours clear, red-purple with a fine pink head that sticks to the glass.

Smell is nearly all dark cherry with a malty alcoholic slant.

Taste is abundantly cherry, sour at first, and biting. Then sweetening, leaving a fruit-sugar coating on the lips.

Carbo is high yet this is surprisingly smooth. Full and round and sweet and beautiful.

Not a beer for anyone who doesn't enjoy cherries. This has cherry flavor, seven fold. Like cherries? Try some.

07-03-2005 01:14:01 | More by budsboy
cubedbee

Maryland

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a very bright purplish-pink color with a finger and a half of pinkish head and good retention. Smell is big sweet cherry, kind of like cough drops without the menthol notes, very appetizing. Huge cherry taste, suprisingly hardly tart at all, very sweet and juicy taste. Tastes good by itself, taste wonderful paired with some chocolate cake. Very bubbly and champagne-like, this is almost like a cherry soda, and actually probably tastier even to non-beer drinkers. This is a fabulous beer for dessert or a special occasion---anyone who likes cherry will like this beer.

06-24-2005 13:44:00 | More by cubedbee
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.93/5  rDev +29.1%

Gorgeous, purple color. Somewhat pale in places but a nice, deep purple thoughout. Very nice head to begin with. Some nice lacing. Aroma screams black cherry. Some great peppery notes. Very full and inviting. Big fruit flavor upfront. Slight, malty backbone with a huge black cherry flavor. Peppery flavor from the sourness comes thru and is well balanced with the huge fruit presence. Very good mouthfeel-great body considering the ABV-Id expect it to be a much bigger beer. A killer beer-theres a great balance between the fruit and beer itself. Not overly sweet. This is what a wine cooler should be. Malt based beverage my ass...worth seeking out.

06-21-2005 04:18:15 | More by lackenhauser
OatherS

Kansas

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pilsner glass because that is the closest thing I have to a flute.

Appearance: Pours a dark red color with a massive pink head that is slow to dissipate and laces nicely.

Smell: Strong cheery odor that is slightly remenescent of cough syrup.

Taste: Very strong flavor. Cherry is dominant. Somewhat tart.

Mouthfeel: SImilar to champagne.

Drinkability: Even though this is my first fruit lambic review this is not the first lambic I have had. I think that the framboise from lindemans is a little bit better, but this is still definitely good.

06-06-2005 00:17:26 | More by OatherS
Gaisgeil

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%

This one sort of sneaked up on me. I've come to expect certain things from Lindeman's lambics, overly sweet, only slight variation from variety to variety.

Pours a pale reddish in color with head to match. Very sugary sweet. Over the top. Nose reminded me of cough syrup and kool-aid. Definatly a dessert in a bottle, no question. A little too sweet to drink much of, but not bad.

Slàinte!

06-01-2005 08:52:14 | More by Gaisgeil
Higravity

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

I really like this beer and while it is a little over sweet it doesn't kill the flavors of the bright cherries laced with the yeasty funkness of the lambic. The color is of marichino cherry juice and it has a pink head that settles to foam gobs on top of the beer. The taste is of dark tart cherries a taste easily recognized. It is not medicine like at all it is very smooth and very drinkable.

05-29-2005 18:01:06 | More by Higravity
FirstMan

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured out of the bottle a little like champagne, leaving lots of bubbles of carbination on the side of the glass as it filled it up. I'm using a wide pilsner glass for this.

Ruby red in color with lots of carbination. I was careful on the pour to keep the yeast that was settled at the bottom of the bottle out of my glass. Because of that, it's very clear.

Fresh, crisp, and tart. Cherrys - nothing medicine-esque at all in this lambic. I've had a few lambics from lesser breweries in the past that have tasted very unnatural, but this is real fruit all the way. Very refreshing.

04-28-2005 22:00:50 | More by FirstMan