Lindemans Kriek - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans KriekLindemans Kriek

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 07-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Kriek Alström Bros
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

Lucent dark cherry red (or crimson if you prefer) with a substantial head of emasculating pink froth that demonstrates great persistance and a stickiness that results in chunky wisps of abstract-patterned lace. It looks remarkably like Lindemans Framboise, but then why wouldn't it?

The nose is intense and is redolent of sweet n' sour cherries. There's no mistaking what this beer is brewed with. It also possesses that fermented, wine-like aroma that makes it clear that, appearances aside, this is more than mere fruit juice.

There aren't any surprises on the palate, although the incredible mouth-squinching tartness caught me a little off guard. Plump, juicy, sweet cherries burst over the tongue. A salivary gland tweaking, tongue ruffling sourness is right there in lock step.

There isn't an overwhelming amount of complexity as there aren't any serious competing flavors vying for center stage. On a good note, the black cherry flavor itself seems more layered and deeper than expected, probably as a result of the interplay between impressively sweet and impressively sour.

All well-crafted fruit lambics seem to garner nearly identical scores from me. The three Melbourn Bros. beers and now two Lindemans lambics have all gotten somewhere in the vicinity of 4.0. Maybe that's because their sugar content limits drinkability, but I suspect that the real reason for the glass ceiling is that they just don't seem all that much like beer to me.

I can no longer convince my wife to taste (or even smell) beer after some unfortunate, though well meaning, attempts on my part to bring her gently into the beer lover's fold. She loves cherry flavored *everything* and has a sweet tooth, so perhaps if I had started with Lindemans Kriek, she'd be better able to share my passion for beer. In others words, chicks'll dig this stuff.

11-22-2004 16:13:41 | More by BuckeyeNation
silenius

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a muddy red with brown tinges. Lots of floaters with a shallow pink head that disappears in a blink.

Smell is wonderful! Cherry pie complete with crust. Brown sugar. Barnyard funk.

Taste is sharp bite of sourness followed by smooth cherries ending with a round tart pie taste.

Mouthfeel is OK and very little carbonation is present in the 2004 bottled brew. More like a sour cherry tea than something brewed and carbonated.

The acid in the beer makes my tongue a little raw after a while, so it suffers on drinkability.

11-08-2004 02:27:11 | More by silenius
CBFanWish

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Fruit beers have never been my favorite. They tend to be overly sweet or overly sour. I guess if I had to drink nothing but fruir beers for the rest of my life, it would have to be made by Lindemans.
Kreik has a Beautiful dark cherry red colour in which a thick pink head arises. As the beer is consumed, a wonderful lace covers the entire glass.
The aroma and taste boasts strong flavours of cherry. Very little alcohol bite, but it's in there.
This is a dessert beer, nothing else, in my opinion. Its tart cherry flavour would go very well with chocolate cake. I could see it mixed with a stout or a porter for something a little more fun.

11-06-2004 19:54:23 | More by CBFanWish
Paddez

4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

I've had this one on-tap as well as in a 37,5cl bottle..Deep ruby coloured body with a small pink head that quickly dissapears, leaving a ring of lacing that clings to the glass. Smell is purely that of sweet, ripe cherries. There is some tardness in the smell but it's mainly the sweet aroma that has the upper hand. The tardness is more present in the taste, but it's still the sweetness that prevails. The cherry is sweet but tastes authentic rather than artificial (as is the case with i.e. Timmermans kriek)
The mouthfeel is nice, the carbonation is good and the beer goes down very smoothly. It does become very sweet after a while though. I don't think I'd enjoy having more than two of these after eachother.

Still, this is one of the better krieks available. Also very suitable as a desert beer. Recommended

10-10-2004 14:20:13 | More by Paddez
meathookjones

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

This can in the smaller 12oz bottle I believe, that was capped and corked. Deep cherry red body with a good sized pinkish head of foam. The head dropped quickly leaving scattered lacing around the glass. Aroma was of sweet cherries with some vinous characteristics. Very similar to the smell was the taste with sweet cherries over a bit of tartness. The sweetness became a little too much by the end of the bottle. The mouth was medium with a bit of over carbonation fizziness. Overall not a bad beer but nothing something I could have too many of enough I was in the mood for something sweet.

08-25-2004 13:54:44 | More by meathookjones
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

pours a deep red with a pink wispy head. The aroma is dominated by cherries and oakyness. The taste is almost entirely of cherries with some tartness, but definitely not enough. Theres also iron, oak and sacharine sweetness in the middle. The finish is of sweetish cherries. An OK Lambic, but not nearly sour or tart enough. Maybe I got an old or bad bottle.

07-28-2004 21:25:09 | More by CAMRAhardliner
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a deephazy cherry red with a big frothy pink head. Lots of persistent lace. Smells of sour cherries and yeasty. Hints of the wheat malt.

Taste is very sweet. Some tartness from the cherries but mostly it's cherry sweetness. Some sour yeastiness. Sticky sweet mouth. I prefer Lindemans Framboise instead of this, more balanced and understated sweetness. But this is a pretty good dessert/after-dinner beer. Wife loves it by the way...

07-11-2004 00:43:33 | More by ViveLaChouffe
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

Cloudy pinkish ruby hue. Light pinkish white head that turns into a film, but remain satisfying to look at. Explosion of cherries in the nose, extreme sweetness that approaches vanilla. Very mild wheat acidity, but seriously too sweet to refresh. Cloying finish, lively carbonation, medium soft body.

07-10-2004 18:47:30 | More by Rastacouere
scriabin

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

It's a little strange drinking a beer that tastes more like fruit juice than beer, but what a nice strange it is. The great maroon color and cherry smell really pique the curiosity and let you know that you're in for something different. The cherry flavor is unlike your standard run-of-the-mill fruit beer and is quite smooth and authentic. It has a very nice feel, with very fine carbonation that cleanse the pallate. It's not something that you'd want to drink all night simply because it is sweet and meant as an apertif (imo), but that that isn't meant to take anything away.

07-03-2004 00:13:57 | More by scriabin
TagoMago

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

This is a very "different" beer, quite unlike any of the lambics I've sampled in the past. This beer has a dark ruby color and pours with a nice sized head with a nice pinkish hue. The aroma is of sweet cherries and yeast. Upfront the palate is hit with a tart, mouth-pukering cherry assault.

This is a superb lambic and makes for a great dessert beer. It should not be consumed in quantity as it becomes rather sweet after a glass or two. However, the alcohol is relatively low at only 4% ABV.

06-27-2004 04:54:24 | More by TagoMago
JackTheRipper

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

A: Hazy deep red in color. Initial 1/2" head dissipated quickly to a thin layer of foam leaving no lacing.

S: Super lucious cherry smell overwhelms the nose. Just a hint of a sourness that tempers the sweet smells perfectly. The cherry smell is very natural, and just what I expected after popping the cork on this one. Unreal how good this smells.

T: I'm at a loss. I still can't believe that lambics are categorized as beer. This offering has an incredibly natural tasting cherry flavor to it. The fruitiness is very strong, and balanced out by the lambic sourness to perfection. I can't imagine putting sugar in this beer to sweeten it. It's perfect just the way it is. Fruity, not cloyingly sweet. Aftertaste is a long lingering sourness.

M: Carbonation level seems higher than the Peche lambic I had earlier, and serves to carry the flavors throughout the mouth and some of the aromas back to the nose. Nice and tart, just a bit dry. Alcohol is barely noticeable, but at 4% that should be expected.

D&N: An absolutely perfect dessert beer, or a beer for any other time. The only reason this doesn't get a five on this one is the price. $10 a bottle is pretty steep, but once in a while, tis very worth it. If you haven't tried this one yet, what are you waiting for?

06-21-2004 06:53:54 | More by JackTheRipper
99bottles

Appearance: Pours a nice deep ruby with a fizzy little head of pink stained foam.

Smell: Very nice. Full cherry and some light rotten lambic fermentation.

Taste: Initially a sweet dose of cherry fades to leave a suprisingly satisfying pucker of tartness. Again, some light lambic funk, some earthy notes of grass or soil, and that great tart cherry flavor. Not the same as a Flanders Red/Oud Bruin or as sour, but still nicely done.

Mouthfeel: Light and well carbonated, but also more full than the other Lindeman's lambics I've had.

Drinkability: It's very good and I could sip quite a few of these, but after awhile the sweetness of all the Lindeman's lambics turn me off. IMO, the best of their offerings.

06-16-2004 18:17:26 | More by 99bottles
necoadam

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

I wasn't a big fan of fruit beers, but now that I've had a few of these lambics, they're growing on me. Poured out a nice deep cherry red color with a huge amount of carbonation that took a while for it to settle. Smell was all cherries. Even though it was only one element, it was very pleasing to the nose. Taste was tart with lots of dark cherries. Wasn't as tart as the other fruit lambic's. Good dessert brew.

04-28-2004 02:27:07 | More by necoadam
soper2000

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

12 ounce bottle

Pours a deep maroon with small white lace around the top of the beer. Smell is great, cherries with a hint of wood. Taste is very fruity and sweet yet finishes dry. Mouthfeel is just like a glass of fruit punch. In my opinion, drinkability is not that great. One serving of this beer is enough for me for one night. I just love the cherry taste of this one.

03-23-2004 01:40:39 | More by soper2000
RoyalT

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance – This poured a beautiful, deep dark raspberry purple. The head settled slowly into pits of foam along the top of the liquid and a thick, purplish-white ring around the glass.

Smell – The deep, dark aroma of black cherries came out perfectly at the nose. They hit the nose dead on here. I love the smell of black cherries and this was exactly it.

Taste – Oh, yes. The flavor here is super sweet and extremely powerful. I can pick up what seems like a small malt base, but it’s the sharp dark cherries that blow me away at the tongue. I would have liked to have seen a little more complexity here, but boy they have that black cherry flavor down pat.

Mouthfeel – This one is actually medium-bodied with some foamy carbonation and enough tartness to make the drinker take note.

Drinkability – This is my favorite of the Lindemans thus far. I really enjoyed sipping this one down.

03-13-2004 01:14:22 | More by RoyalT
GuinnessSmurf

Missouri

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

When I poured it into the glass, a festive pink head danced up and quickly fell back down the glass. The lambic is a deep red/purple colour. When you put your nose to it, there is mostly black cherry and alcohol. And unfortunately, thats about all I got from this lambic. There no subtleties that I could detect. For this tongue, it was highly carbonated alcholic black cherry soda...it was nearly syrup.

02-15-2004 19:11:51 | More by GuinnessSmurf
moulefrite

I know I'm not alone in thinking that the colors of most Lineman's products especially the Framboise, and now the Kriek, seem downright un-natural? This stuff looks more like the color of a popscicle than a Kriek. Blazing cherry pie red with a nose that can only be jolly rancher red, the beer enters the mouth and even tastes like jolly rancher red-candied and very sweet, this is an after dinner drink or a dessert beer in my book. The beer has none of the sour that I love in the style. I guess this is just the ticket for the so called pepsi generation, but I'll throw my money at the likes of De Ranke, that offer a more complex, complete, challenging, and thirst quenching Kriek. This is pure sugar and would make a nice flavor for a kids breakfast cereal-perhaps one called "."Lindenberries." Maybe they could add little hop shaped crunchies?

02-12-2004 02:32:35 | More by moulefrite
rajendra82

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

I started drinking beer twenty years ago. And now I feed sad I waited this long to try a Lambic. For the longest time I couldn't stand the thought of fruits being present in my beer. But after having tried this elixir, my mind is free, and the scales on my eyes have fallen off. What an awesome beer. It does not taste at all like a wine cooler, mixed drink, or a malternative, as I was afraid it would. Instead this has a naturally refreshing, mature character that is typical of the best beers I have ever tasted. Very different than other beers in many respects, but very similar to them in terms of it's purpose of existence.

Pours a shockingly cloudy, dark cherry red with pink effervescent foam that dissipates rapidly. The smell is all cherry along with fresh tilled earth and cut grass. Very sour and crisp with a creamy sweetness that is surprisingly non cloying. Not perceptibly hopped, so no bitterness whatsoever. Clean uncomplicated mouthfeel and awesome drinkability. Bubbly and effervescent like a champagne, but without the puckering dryness. I’ll be back for more Lambics, and other beers that I was apprehensive about.

02-08-2004 03:46:50 | More by rajendra82
WesWes

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

The beer pours a dark maroon color with a matching head. The aroma is good. It has a very tart cherry scent that pierces your nose; very nice. The taste is awesome. It is full of sour cherries and not much else. It refreshes on the way down. I love this beer. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer drinks great. I could drink about a gallon of this stuff; a good sessions beer.

02-05-2004 01:15:24 | More by WesWes
KroMagnon

Tennessee

3.15/5  rDev -17.5%

Bottle has a nice classy cork under the cap, but the thing can get kind of dried out as I think most folks store beer upright not on its side like wine. The color is very red, almost like soda pop (like Big Red or Cherwine) and the head is pink and rocky. The aroma is very, very cherry along with a faint sour note that reminds me of cranberry juice. The beer lacks some of the more funky lambic type aromas, which may be good in some folks' opinions. The flavor is a blend of tartness, strong cherry notes, along with some slight puckery astringency and a pretty good dose of sweetness to counteract the tartness. The beer is tasty overall but it doesn't go out on a limb like some of the other lambics. Still it is pleasant and it may be a good beer to suggest to a friend who isn't really into other craft beers. In contrast to Cherish, another kriek, Lindeman's seems a little more aggressive with the sourness but not by much.

01-31-2004 21:16:25 | More by KroMagnon
RocketWidget

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

Enjoyed by sampling from a friend's birthday present. Though I took off the cap, I was surprised to find a cork underneath. Pours a dark blood red color, really heavy red. Head is reddish/white, lacy and thick. Smell is tart and sugary. Taste is one of the sweetest beers I've ever had, and not malty sweet, but SUGAR sweet, quite unique. Cherries, cherries, cherries! Overwhelming taste of cherries, not any hops detectable, but the bitter, tart flavor is fairly complex and enjoyable. This beer surprised me. The sweetest drinkable beverage I have ever had.

01-31-2004 01:17:10 | More by RocketWidget
BeerAngel

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Pop the cap, and hidden underneath is a cork. Seems pretty serious about sealing this brew! Pours a clear reddish purple with a pink busy fizzy head that sticks around for a bit. The strong, nearly overwhelming scent of sweet black cherries comes flailing out with nothing more than a note of tartness along with it. The taste mimics the aromas along with a light carb trailing into a sweet-tart candy-like finish. I feel like I'm drinking a dessert! Perhaps a beer that I could finally get the woman in my life to
like ;-). This is a good beverage, but not one I could drink much of at one sitting. Op uw gezonheid!

01-28-2004 04:57:16 | More by BeerAngel
Dogbrick

3.78/5  rDev -1%

Sampled at From The Vine beer tasting Jan 9th, 2004: This beer is a bright maroon color with a thin white head. Aroma of black cherries. Mouthfeel like sparkling wine, with a strong tart cherry flavor throughout. The finish is dry and fruity. This is very drinkable after you recover from the initial blast of cherry.

01-15-2004 16:17:44 | More by Dogbrick
Crosling

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours deep cherry with a modest sized light pink head. An excellent looking beer. Laces well and lasts a while.

Obviously a strong aroma of diverse cherries...all kinds....very pleasing with sweet and sour scents as well.

Starts out very sweet, sourness comes out on the mid-palate. Then, a large amount of cherries come in on the finish followed by more sourness. I really like this beer and I am starting to really like the style. This particular one is a little too sweet for my liking. I was looking for more of a deep cherry flavor and a little more tartness. Nonetheless, this is a tasty ale!

01-07-2004 06:02:36 | More by Crosling
stoutman

3.13/5  rDev -18.1%

KREEK - tastes like creek water, just kidding. They call this beer?? These beers with corks should be called lite wines. Nothing like other beers, very fruity.. but very tame, subtle, and still a bit complex. Yes, its sugary, and tart, that doesn't neccessarily make it horrid, just very different. The overpowering (to me) yeasts and sour cherry flavor tell me to pass this one to the women.

01-07-2004 01:20:55 | More by stoutman