Lindemans Cassis - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans CassisLindemans Cassis

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Cassis Alström Bros

NonicPanic, Dec 22, 2013

Pours a dark red color, almost transparent. Only slight carbonation. Aroma is strong with blackberry showing through. Somewhat tart and sour as well. Taste is very tart and mouth-puckering and finishes with a beautiful bouquet of blackberry. It's almost as if this isn't a beer. It's quite sweet and tart at the same time. Devilishly drinkable as well.

I may be a newbie to lambics but I feel this deserves a high rating because of the effort put into it and how delicious it is.

Brad007, Dec 04, 2007

Unchi, Dec 07, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +28.3%

Dark black like a ravens wing with a rasberrish colored head, smell is intensely fruity. Taste is really really sweet with a bit of a bitter finish, It is oh so thick like the fruit. It is insanely drinkable and at such a low abv I can see myself putting a few of them under the table

hdofu, Jan 24, 2011

Apotheosis, Oct 20, 2013

ElviraS, Sep 06, 2014

davidwhatshisnam, May 03, 2014

KindaFondaGoozah, Oct 06, 2013

zvanwink, May 10, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +23%

Where do I start. This is my first Lambic, it pours a deep purple and has an enormous head that really lasts. The aroma of currants dominates everything about this. It gives you that pucker you expect, without overdoing it, and finishes nicely. The more you drink, the more the complex flavors start presenting themselves. This is a great after dinner, Sunday afternoon, kick back and relax drink. Looking forward to trying Lindemans other Lambics

Indybeer, May 20, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +23%

Serving type - 12 oz. Champange style bottle, deceptively larger than the serving size would suggest.

Appearance - Pours a beautiful burgundy color with a matching but a bit lighter colored head, nice and full. Fades into a nice thick covering on top.

Smell - Sweet, fruity, and berry-like tartness. Smells good. Winey smell aswell

Taste - Nice full fruit flavor, berries, dates, and red grapes. I think this is very complex. The malt is over shown by the fruit flavors and the hops are not existant, but the berry wine-like flavors leave a nice slightly bitter dry flavor. Not to tart in the middle and I think it's very balanaced. I'm enjoying the sweetness, I don't think it's too sweet at all, and I enjoy hoppy and bitter beers. Taste is a blend between a Champange and a fruity Red wine, for me and is what it made me think the most of instead of classic beer flavor.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability - Nice good carbonation, with a full mouth feel. Some may find the sweetness too much. I probably wouldn't have more than one or two.

Overall - This is my frist true Belgian lambic (I won't talk about the SA Cranberry Lambic) and I am very impressed with this one. I liked it a lot. I surprised by the complexity of the fruit and wine-like tart flavors. I will be getting this again.

Adfirmus, Feb 28, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +22.5%

Pours a beautiful clear deep reddish-purple with a substantial frothy head that lingers nicely. Also displays nice lacing. The aroma of currants is pervasive. Taste has initial slightly sour currant taste that leads to a slighty sweet finish. Very enjoyable, hard to stop sipping. Good carbonation, just a great way to finish a meal. Skip the dessert and have one of these.

techdiver, Nov 24, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +22.5%

A: Deep purple with very little head. Looks like grape soda.

S: Nice berry scent. Rich and fruity.

T: Fruit all the way! Nice and sour berry flavors. No hops as expected, then yeasty bread finish.

M: Bubbly and refreshing as expected. Wonderful.

O: I love these lambics. This one actually competes with the raspberry for me.

Jemonster, Jun 14, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +21.7%

A: Pours a dark purple into my Piraat tulip, with a rock-solid, foamy finger of pink head.

S: Faint-ish aromas of berry sourness, pear, and a slight herbal background.

T: Pear onset devolves into a gorgeous blackcurrant flavor, the taste of carbonated blackcurrant juice. Slight hop bitterness leads to a strong tartness at the end.

M: Carbonation and sourness makes the mouth pucker. Juicy and excellent.

D: Wow this is a delicious beer. It tastes almost exactly like a blackcurrant juice/ sparkling water concoction that I used to make for myself. Possibly one of the best lambics I have tried, and I'm surprised more breweries don't make blackcurrant lambics.

thekanna, Jan 30, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +21.2%

12 oz. bottle: An excellent Lambic. It has a somewhat sweet, fruity aroma to it. It also has a nice sour aftertaste to compliment the slight sweetness of the beer. The black currant taste is very evident, but not overdone. Nice purplish head, on top of a beer that has an almost grape juice color. Very heavy. The Black Currants are a nicer flavor than the Krieks or Boons. Definitely a one at a sitting brew.

Boto, Dec 07, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Slightly hazy reddish-purple color with a light-purple head.

S: Very sweet malt scent with a jam-like fruity twang. Underneath aromas of blackberry and plum lies an interesting smell that might best be described as "funky," but not necessarily in a bad way.

T: Quite tart on the palate. Rich flavors of blackberry, blueberry and plum dominate. Slightly sour on the sides of the tongue, but in a nice way. Very fruity, but still very much a beer. I love it!

M: The pleasant surprise. Lighter side of medium-bodied, but the finish is quite soft and very dry. An interesting sensation, and an enjoyable one at that.

D: Sweet enough to go down easily, complex enough to curl up with for an evening.

Well, my first real go at a (fruit) lambic was a smashing success. It is said that first impressions are paramount, and I can tell that this one may end up being my favorite of the Lindemans line of lambics (alliteration!), as I've always had a fondness for blackberry preserves on my toast and bagels. There was a point in my life when I would have not touched a lambic with a ten-foot pole, so if I can do it, you should too (if you haven't already).

PirateUlf73, Jul 14, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +20.4%

I like this one even more than the raspberry! This has a little less sweetness to it and tastes more like a lambic fruit beer should taste in my opinion. Great bubbly mouthfeel, no aftertaste at all. The appearance again is average, but that shouldnt scare you off. The taste is so superb nothing can bring it down.

kimbo33, Jan 01, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearance: Pours a light purple-ish brown and a fluffy, pink-ish white head.

Smell: Apple pretty much dominates, sweet snd tart. Some malt is noticable as well.

Taste: Mostly apples, but its well balanced with malts. Nice tart finish.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Definitely goes good smooth and creamy and has the carbonation just about right. Highly drinkable, but probably not something one would drink a lot of.

tallar, Jun 23, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Solid hit. Served at a good temperature and with a huge, pinkish, foamy, frothy, thick head that settles to a light cover and last for a while, plus lots of lace. Color is a cloudy, pink, dark amber. Aroma is currants, yeast, vinegar. Flavor is foremost natural currants, sweet tart, malt. Body is spot on perfect all the way around. Finish is like flavor and doesn't deviate, of good length, with a slow taper. Could cook like a madman with this. Very good beer!

drpimento, Dec 16, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +19.1%

I didn't know what black currants tasted like but I tried this one anyway. Because I never had it and wanted to try it. So.... it was so pretty in the glass, for starters.. a deep purple-red colour, with a nice pink head. I actually wasn't turned on by the smell at all, I honestly thought it smelled musty, like I was inhaling the dusty outside of the bottle... but then maybe that makes it more like the traditional lambics than other Lindemans lambics... Anyway, I got over the smell and finally took a sip and after a second i loved it! In the 1st second it was almost too much, tasted like berries you might find in the woods that you're not supposed to eat. But then I got over that and it was just great. It tasted very fresh, like something in the woods. I dont know how else to describe it really.. Fresh, fruity, tart, berry-ish, tasty. I think I made a sour face, but no worse than eating a sourpatch kid, like it was a sweet-tart kind of feel. Mouthfeel was very nice, not too thick and not thin at all. Drinkability, well, even though I loved the taste, it would get to be to much if I drank it all night. Splitting a bottle is enough for one evening, but I'd drink it again any day!

erica, Jan 06, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours with a purple tinged head and deep brownish red color. The head lasts and lasts.

Smell is lambic like, unlike the Framboise, this one smells more like a lambic, with the typical funk, sourness, and black currant.

Tastes like sour black currant, with some funky sourness.

This is an exquisite fruit lambic.

crossovert, Dec 28, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured an opaque ice tea brown with shades of garnet and blue. Thin layer of foam on the top, but no head otherwise. Pomegranate, peach, and maybe strawberry rhubarb pie were the aromas I detected. The taste was peach and pomegranate again with a dry finish. Mouthfeel was similar to champagne or carbonated juice. This beer is good and fruity. One I'd drink occasionally, with a pie probably.

tomthumbsblues, Jan 13, 2005
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a surprise! Pours near black in color with dark purple head, though the body of the beer is more of a dark red when held to a lightsource. Head is thick, rich, laces well, and is mystifying to look at. Nose is intense with mixed dark berries that are hard to pin down - maybe some blackberry, blueberry, and a faint echo of grape soda from childhood. This dessert beer is creamy on the palate with an explosion of sweet & tart dark fruits that come through like the intensity of a spirit but without the alcoholic bite. Finish is very, very long.

yemenmocha, Aug 13, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +18.6%

Finally got me a bottle of Lindemans. Big 750 mL green bottle, corked and capped (?), and topped with foil. It pours a dark cherry red with notes of purple and pink, and it's topped with a beautiful strawberry frosting color head that rises to an inch and a half and sticks everywhere, and not just on the first glass. Damn that's a pretty beer. It smells sweet with berries (currant, blackberry), and a slight musty/farmy aroma. The last pour (with all the dregs) smells of currant preserves. The taste follows suit with a good tart/bitter quality and additional notes of dark cherries and oak. Delicious. The body is both medium and syrupy, both smooth and dry. The carbonation at the beginning is nice, but the beer is better as it warms. As far as drinkability - I was taking sips for the whole 2 hours it took to drink, and I'm surprised it even lasted that long - good thing I was trying to savor it. I could have drunk two of these in a row easily, especially because of the low ABV, however, the high price keeps me from that. Ah well.... now to try their other lambics.

mmmbeer, Feb 13, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

I drank this beer with friends after a Trapist beer tasting. This beer was preceded by a bottle of Two Philosiphers. Even though it was a big change in style, everyone at the table enjoyed it. It's a very sour beer with strong fruity, currant smells; A great dessert beer.

zImage, Jun 25, 2004