Lindemans Cassis - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans CassisLindemans Cassis

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Cassis Alström Bros
1.76/5  rDev -54.3%

The high point of this beer was when it was still in the bottle. After pouring this ruby purple color beer with a light purple head everything after that was down hill. The smell was overpowering and I had a feeling I was smelled Eucalyptus Oil. The taste was, well after the first sip of this beer, which tasted very tart and had a sour taste that puckered my tongue to my stomach. This beer from Lindemans is there absolute worst brew! One sip and the rest went down the drain! No kiding, it tasted like sour, puckering, tart Eucaluptus leaves! There might have been berries, but I could'nt find them.

1.89/5  rDev -50.9%

750ml bottle; thanks to Jesse13713 for splitting this one with me.

A: Pours a deep reddish purple hue, with two fingers of foamy purple head that sticks around for a while. Decent lacing.

S: Smells like rotten dark fruit with a hint of tanginess thrown in there; little of the sweetness, yeastiness, or complexity I've come to expect from lambics.

T/M: Cloyingly sweet, this tastes like your average grocery store concentrated multi-berry juice, with a hint of fermentation and carbonation burn. Light/medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, and a very sticky, syrupy texture. Light funky taste on the finish before a long, lingering fruit juice finish. "Not impressed," the 2.0 rating for taste, describes this well. It's not entirely bad, but not what I'm looking for in a beer at all. The resultant feel on my teeth feels like I've drinking Sunny D, not a lambic.

O: I didn't really enjoy this beer; it was sickly sweet without any of the funkiness I was expecting from a lambic- I was blasted with fruity syrup in its place.

2.16/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Never seen this before today. At $11 a bottle I have high expectations.

Appearance - Wow. This does not look like beer at all. This looks more like red wine with food coloring/berries added. You can definitely tell berries were added to this brew. A rich and frothy pink and purple head that covers up a magenta purple brew.

Smell - The smell is not very pleasant. Smells like rotten sour blackberries. Sort of a spoiled fruit smell.

Taste - Extraordinarily sour and tart. Entirely too sweet thanks to the berries. The berries are quite tasty; but this really does not taste like a beer. More like concentrated fruit juice. To pinpoint, this tastes like concentrated grape juice that I didn't add enough water to.

Mouthfeel / Drinkablity - Drinkable. But I didn't want juice; I wanted beer. This is entirely to sweet with a sour berry pucker. Concentrated and unbalanced. Something about it is off. I am extremely dissapointed that I spent so much money on this beer.

2.2/5  rDev -42.9%

Pours a reddish-purple, highly carbonated and topped with a 1 1/2 finger pinkish-white head. Leaves puffy bits of lacing.
Wine, clove and spice aroma, chamomile candle note, some dark fruit under all that perfume.
Grape, sweet taste with a bit of tartness. Very oily and candlelike, tastes like drinking a perfume.
Medium bodied, I couldn't get through a glass of this.

2.22/5  rDev -42.3%

The rocky, light pink head tops an attractive, slightly hazy deep ruby hued brew. Belgian lace is left down the glass. Sugary, black currant aroma w/ a hint of tartness. The lack of complex "wet horse" Brettanomyces in atoma as typical for style is lacking in this brew, leaving the aroma akin to that of a wine cooler. The taste is dominated by a borderline overbearing sugary, one - dimensional sweetness, while the tartness is perceptible in the finish. The black currant flavor is quite assertive and when coupled with the sweetness leaves me with the impression that I've just tasted a carbonated wine cooler. This is not a good example of Lambic. It lacks the tartness and complexity of a true lambic and is cloyingly sweet. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Not recommended at all.

2.42/5  rDev -37.1%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a dark colour, almost black but with traces of pink holding it up to the light.

Smells quite sweet with a hint of sour funk.

Tastes pretty awful. Sweet blackcurrants dominate, with added sugary sweetness and a sour, alcoholic kick. Sickly thick mouthfeel.

This beer makes me feel sick, it's so sweet and sickly.

2.56/5  rDev -33.5%

Courtesy of BBF 2011. Poured from a 750ml corked and capped bottle into Lost Abbey stemware. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a frothy 2 finger pastel pink head with great retention. Beer is a dark, near opaque purple. Lacing is stringy and spotty with great stick. A real good looking beer.

Nose is aromatic sugar and sweet currants. Some nice mustiness going on in this one too.

Here's where this one starts to break down. Opens overly sweet back currants that dominate the whole experience from start to finish. Aftertaste is more of the same. Very simple and way to sweet.

Light bodied and highly carbonated. Oily and juicy in the mouth and goes down dry and filmy. Finish is dry with a sweet, lingering aftertaste. Not the best.

Not a traditional lambic, this one is made with a ton of artificial sugar added. Incredibly sweet and very very simple. ALmost like fruit soda. Really not my cup of tea.

2.62/5  rDev -31.9%

Yikes. Well this stuff smells great, like fruit punch. The appearance is a deep reddish purple, looks like carbonated wine. The smell is quite powerful, and the "beer" has a thick red head on the top. I guess thats the proof that it truly is beer. The taste was not too great, and was far too sweet for me. Some may enjoy this, but as one who rarely drinks wines or champagnes, I will stick to beer that tastes like beer.

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

The initial pour was a crowd pleaser! The reviews came right down the middle, out of 6 reviewers we had threenthat said amazingly good and three that were dumbfounded. If you like wine, this is up your alley. If you like dark heavy beer, try another road. Some of us will have this again, some of us will not.

2.77/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours mauve/purple with a bright pink head.
Aroma of blackberries and soft funky horesblanket. Good, as long as you like blackberries.
Very sweet flavours, like drinking blackberry jam. Cloying. A little acidity. Some very light funk.
Nice prickly carbonation.

2.79/5  rDev -27.5%

Appearance - 5.0
Two fingers of tight, mauve head sit above a dark, burgundy body. Good head retention and left rings of sticky lace.

Smell - 3.0
Sweet, perfumy and fruity with a little lambic funk.

Taste - 2.5
A little lambic tartness and a suggestion of wooden barrels, largely drowned out by the sticky sweet blackcurrant syrup, reminiscent of Ribena. Too sweet, but pleasant enough.

Mouthfeel - 3.0
Very fine and light carbonation, increasingly syrupy with warmth, leaving the mouth sticky.

Drinkability - 2.5
Over sweetness reduces drinkability.

OVERALL - 3.05
As I say with all over-sweet fruit lambics, this beer is best enjoyed very cold. The warmer it gets, the more the sweetness overwhelms any lambic character. Nice enough, but not for those who appreciate traditional fruit lambics.

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours with a frothy, initially 1/2-finger thick, purple stained, off-white colored head, that sits on top of a deep, very dark purple colored beer. The beer does show a brilliantly clear, cherry red color when held up to the light. This smells intensely of sweet, syrup-like fruit; Concord grape jam, candied prunes, a sort of vegetal fruit character ( sort of ripe cucumber / unripe-melon if that makes sense), a green grape character. The aroma is very lightly funky too, with touches of musty, damp earth and a slight mold character.

Despite expecting it, this beer is still shockingly sweet, though it is not to the point of being syrup-like in consistency. A bit like a concentrated fruit juice, though it still has a distinct, green, vegetal note to it. Slightly tannic, at least enough to slightly coat the teeth and palate, also somewhat thick, though it is still fairly drinkable. Very fruity tasting & I suppose it tastes just like Cassis syrup, though having never tasted this I can't say for sure; the fruit tastes like a mix of prunes, green grapes, a touch of kiwi, and perhaps even a touch of cherry cough-syrup. Not really funky at all in the flavor and any sourness is completely drowned out by the sweetness.

Very easy drinking, as long as you can get past the ample sweetness. I have a hard time thinking of this as beer and the sweet fruitiness is just a bit overwhelming. Really not what I want to be drinking, but as a fruit cocktail it is not half bad.

Purchased: BevMo, Tucson AZ

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

Dark purple color. Medium head. Aroma is fruity and berryish. Kind of sweet and grapelike at the start yields to some tartness at the finish. Very carbonated, if not for the malts and the tartness at the finish I would think I was drinking a soda pop. Probably the least beer like of the 3 fruit Lindeman's Lambics. Light and refreshing. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is tart and slightly sweet.

2.91/5  rDev -24.4%

Murky crimson-purple hue, burgundy highlights, the foamy head reached about a half finger in height, it had an odd tint to it, as expected it was pinkish but it was grossly white-gray as well. The foamy bubbles lasted a good while around the edge of the glass. Spotty lace was produced as I drank it. The appearance is pleasant if not typical. The nose had terrific potency but I did not care for the bouquet I was presented, it was disgustingly sweet, it was like grape juice with sugar added, behind this feature of the aroma was something very similar to champagne but with a hollow ending. I did not find this scent inviting at all. The palate was startlingly at first, I found the sweet-tart black current taste overbearing. I got over it but the taste doesn’t really develop much, it is like a candy for adults, sweet, tart, and sweeter. It is lively with flavor but it is nauseatingly sugary. I really dig big fruity beers but this one overwhelmed me. Maybe I just don’t like black currents. The tart finish stuck to my lips and the sweetness laced my throat triggering by brain to beg for water to wash it away. I did. Medium-light in body, lively enough carbonation, I could see how this beer would be very refreshing if you enjoyed the taste. In my opinion Cassis is the worst of the fruit lambics by Lindemans. I can’t see myself drinking this one again nor do I envision this pairing well with desserts. I cannot recommend it.

I "willingly" overpaid for this 12-ounce bottle in Omaha, $7.00.

2.94/5  rDev -23.6%

Deep almost black reddish purple. Big foamy purple head...hehe. OK lacing.

Smells like fruity whiskey.

This has a really odd flavor layering. Really tart jumps to sort of a flat sweet. Dunno about this one.

Foamy and thin and watery. Dry finish.

Just meh.

2.97/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured from 355 mL bottle, should be noted this is my first Lambic. Pours a deep eggplant purple with a champagne-like purple head, some retention. Smell is tomato? Really? Smells like sour grapes and tomato. Definitely a first for me in beer. Taste is pretty much on par with the smell. A strong tartness to it but again, all I can focus on is the tomato. High carbonation has a crisp chamagne-ish mouthfeel to it. I'm pretty much giving this 3's across the board because it is my first Lambic and I'm not used to this. While I'm sure its not terrble, just not my style...yet. And I just cant get over the tomato, or "currant" as people with a more sophisticated taste would say.

2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

A: Large raspberry coloured soapy bubbly head, lasting only a minute or 2 to leave a thin cap of large bubbles. It's a beautiful deep magenta that makes me consider it a good choice for a mixed cocktail.

S: Sharp scent of cassis, apples and red berries along with a strong presences of minerals. What strikes me first is the forward scent of the fermented berry. While you get the initial hit of sweetness, a tart dry taste/feel hits up at the back of the mouth.

T: Sweet flavour of cassis is unmistakable, so is the strong mineral taste. High levels of sweetness and acidity with no after taste. So similar to a cassis Italian soda that I find the flavour one dimensional.

M: Light mouth feel with a Italian soda level of carbonation. I think it's a little too high on the carbonation.

Overall: Definitive cassis flavour and smell, although a level of sweetness I find unpleasant. Reminds me of a wine cooler, in the initial sweet flavour followed by the tart/dry after taste. I'd like to try in mixed cocktail, but won't be drinking it on it's own again.

3.04/5  rDev -21%

Reviewed 4/3/2008 (bottle):

Pours a reddish colored body, with a big pink colored head that is somewhat lasting. Has a sweet dark fruity aroma, but not much else is present there. Has a sour sweet and creamy taste, Fruity. Some sweetness is lingering.

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Poured into a stupidly long-stemmed champagne flute.

Purple in colour, 2 finger champagne like head, moderate retention with some lacing on the glass, a small ring of bubbles was always apparent

Musty in aroma, some grapeish aromas as well, a syrupy sweetness was underneath the grape aroma

Grape flavors, pleasant tartness, an almost tannin like quality was there.

Very light in body, fizzy and effervescent.

Overall, good, not great, wouldn't get this if the apple of the peach is nearby. Guess this is the red headed stepchild of the lambics I've had, not bad but not noteworthy either

3.12/5  rDev -19%

Deep purple in colour with an odd pink head. This beer is really a one note wonder: loads of cassis aroma and flavor, but not much else going on. There’s not much lactic sourness, yeast, orwheat malt character at all. It starts out light on the palate, and gets a little heavy and cloying as time goes on. All of that being said, I like cassis flavor quite a bit, so this wasn’t all that bad for me.

3.14/5  rDev -18.4%

Dark reddish purple clear body poured into a Lindemans flute. Nice 3/4 inch head of purple foam. Lots of sticky lacing on the glass. Gotta give this one credit for appearance.

Smells of cassis syrup and musty wood.

Tastes fruity, but not of fresh cassis juice, but an approximation, like a flavored lollipop. Balanced tartness and sweetness, with a bit of a tannic finish. I can taste a saccharine like sweetener.

Body is light and carbonation is moderate giving it a smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

I love cassis, and there is nothing I would like better than a traditional lambic with cassis berries added to the barrel. Unfortunately, this is not such a beer, as it is made with artificial aromas and sweeteners (Acesulfame K). I hope the rejuvenation of Lindemans will restore the credibility that it has lost. Despite my fondness for cassis, I am avoiding this beer until it is made with all natural ingredients. Now it is time rinse my mouth of the saccharine taste.

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a green bottle into a cervoise.

Appearance: Dark dark ruby red body, nearly black. Large pink head and pink lacing.

Smell: Doesn't smell that good. Very sweet and fruity but the smell is far from appealing.

Taste: Very sweet. So sweet that it made my cheeks pucker.

Mouthfeel: Full mouthfeel that you would expect from something so sweet and sugary.

Drinkability: Grew tired of it after half a glass. Nothing was wrong with it, but it's not something that I would care to have another of.

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

From notes, 01-12-06

Pours a vary dark hazy purple with a thick two finger pink head that slowly recedes to a rocky cap, that leaves behind tons of lacing. It's kind of strange to see a purple head on my beer.

Smell; very sweet with a very strong black currant smell. There's also a bit of a sour smeel in the background.

Taste; very sweet and fruity to start, followed by a slightly puckering sourness. It was a little hard to pick out at first because of how sweet this beer is, but there's a bit of a peppery spiciness in the finish, that makes this slightly more enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. This is so sweet that I had a really hard time finishing it.

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%

This is tasty but too sweet and fruity for me and has almost no yeasty-sour lambic quality since the cassis dominates the drink too much. with too little complexity.

It's very deep purple red with a big, dense, pink head that lasts forever and leaves pretty good lacing.

The aroma is heavy blackcurrant with a light yeasty mustiness.

The taste is predominantly blackcurrant, first mostly sweet then in the finish more tart and light but remaining throughly cassis in flavour. The lambic-yeasty quality and sourness are barely evident at all, almost non-existent, probably because the cassis overpowers it all.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

A: The pour is an almost purple color with a massive off-white head.

S: Great currant aroma to this one. Mildly tart with plenty of sweetness. Lots of grapes, almost like grape jam/jelly, and there is a mild funk/musty quality to the nose.

T: The flavor of this beer is just dominated by a sugary sweetness. There is an excellent grape flavor to the beer, but it is sort of like overly sweet grape jam/jelly.

M: Medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: This would have been considerably better if it wasn't so overwhelmingly sweet.

Lindemans Cassis from Brouwerij Lindemans