Lindemans Cassis - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans CassisLindemans Cassis

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Cassis Alström Bros

Marco_Gtz, Jun 30, 2014

AlexFields, Jan 13, 2013

BARFLYB, Mar 24, 2013

Hemix, Jan 05, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -28%

Appearance - 5.0
Two fingers of tight, mauve head sit above a dark, burgundy body. Good head retention and left rings of sticky lace.

Smell - 3.0
Sweet, perfumy and fruity with a little lambic funk.

Taste - 2.5
A little lambic tartness and a suggestion of wooden barrels, largely drowned out by the sticky sweet blackcurrant syrup, reminiscent of Ribena. Too sweet, but pleasant enough.

Mouthfeel - 3.0
Very fine and light carbonation, increasingly syrupy with warmth, leaving the mouth sticky.

Drinkability - 2.5
Over sweetness reduces drinkability.

OVERALL - 3.05
As I say with all over-sweet fruit lambics, this beer is best enjoyed very cold. The warmer it gets, the more the sweetness overwhelms any lambic character. Nice enough, but not for those who appreciate traditional fruit lambics.

LittleCreature, Feb 06, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours with a frothy, initially 1/2-finger thick, purple stained, off-white colored head, that sits on top of a deep, very dark purple colored beer. The beer does show a brilliantly clear, cherry red color when held up to the light. This smells intensely of sweet, syrup-like fruit; Concord grape jam, candied prunes, a sort of vegetal fruit character ( sort of ripe cucumber / unripe-melon if that makes sense), a green grape character. The aroma is very lightly funky too, with touches of musty, damp earth and a slight mold character.

Despite expecting it, this beer is still shockingly sweet, though it is not to the point of being syrup-like in consistency. A bit like a concentrated fruit juice, though it still has a distinct, green, vegetal note to it. Slightly tannic, at least enough to slightly coat the teeth and palate, also somewhat thick, though it is still fairly drinkable. Very fruity tasting & I suppose it tastes just like Cassis syrup, though having never tasted this I can't say for sure; the fruit tastes like a mix of prunes, green grapes, a touch of kiwi, and perhaps even a touch of cherry cough-syrup. Not really funky at all in the flavor and any sourness is completely drowned out by the sweetness.

Very easy drinking, as long as you can get past the ample sweetness. I have a hard time thinking of this as beer and the sweet fruitiness is just a bit overwhelming. Really not what I want to be drinking, but as a fruit cocktail it is not half bad.

Purchased: BevMo, Tucson AZ

Gueuzedude, Apr 24, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -24.1%

Murky crimson-purple hue, burgundy highlights, the foamy head reached about a half finger in height, it had an odd tint to it, as expected it was pinkish but it was grossly white-gray as well. The foamy bubbles lasted a good while around the edge of the glass. Spotty lace was produced as I drank it. The appearance is pleasant if not typical. The nose had terrific potency but I did not care for the bouquet I was presented, it was disgustingly sweet, it was like grape juice with sugar added, behind this feature of the aroma was something very similar to champagne but with a hollow ending. I did not find this scent inviting at all. The palate was startlingly at first, I found the sweet-tart black current taste overbearing. I got over it but the taste doesn’t really develop much, it is like a candy for adults, sweet, tart, and sweeter. It is lively with flavor but it is nauseatingly sugary. I really dig big fruity beers but this one overwhelmed me. Maybe I just don’t like black currents. The tart finish stuck to my lips and the sweetness laced my throat triggering by brain to beg for water to wash it away. I did. Medium-light in body, lively enough carbonation, I could see how this beer would be very refreshing if you enjoyed the taste. In my opinion Cassis is the worst of the fruit lambics by Lindemans. I can’t see myself drinking this one again nor do I envision this pairing well with desserts. I cannot recommend it.

I "willingly" overpaid for this 12-ounce bottle in Omaha, $7.00.

bditty187, Jan 05, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -24.1%

Dark purple color. Medium head. Aroma is fruity and berryish. Kind of sweet and grapelike at the start yields to some tartness at the finish. Very carbonated, if not for the malts and the tartness at the finish I would think I was drinking a soda pop. Probably the least beer like of the 3 fruit Lindeman's Lambics. Light and refreshing. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is tart and slightly sweet.

beerguy101, Aug 30, 2003
2.95/5  rDev -22.8%

Deep almost black reddish purple. Big foamy purple head...hehe. OK lacing.

Smells like fruity whiskey.

This has a really odd flavor layering. Really tart jumps to sort of a flat sweet. Dunno about this one.

Foamy and thin and watery. Dry finish.

Meh.

Just meh.

ryanonline, Aug 04, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -22%

A: Large raspberry coloured soapy bubbly head, lasting only a minute or 2 to leave a thin cap of large bubbles. It's a beautiful deep magenta that makes me consider it a good choice for a mixed cocktail.

S: Sharp scent of cassis, apples and red berries along with a strong presences of minerals. What strikes me first is the forward scent of the fermented berry. While you get the initial hit of sweetness, a tart dry taste/feel hits up at the back of the mouth.

T: Sweet flavour of cassis is unmistakable, so is the strong mineral taste. High levels of sweetness and acidity with no after taste. So similar to a cassis Italian soda that I find the flavour one dimensional.

M: Light mouth feel with a Italian soda level of carbonation. I think it's a little too high on the carbonation.

Overall: Definitive cassis flavour and smell, although a level of sweetness I find unpleasant. Reminds me of a wine cooler, in the initial sweet flavour followed by the tart/dry after taste. I'd like to try in mixed cocktail, but won't be drinking it on it's own again.

FondueVoodoo, Mar 18, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -22%

Poured from 355 mL bottle, should be noted this is my first Lambic. Pours a deep eggplant purple with a champagne-like purple head, some retention. Smell is tomato? Really? Smells like sour grapes and tomato. Definitely a first for me in beer. Taste is pretty much on par with the smell. A strong tartness to it but again, all I can focus on is the tomato. High carbonation has a crisp chamagne-ish mouthfeel to it. I'm pretty much giving this 3's across the board because it is my first Lambic and I'm not used to this. While I'm sure its not terrble, just not my style...yet. And I just cant get over the tomato, or "currant" as people with a more sophisticated taste would say.

bunnyhustle, Oct 19, 2007

hotsudge, May 18, 2013

tom10101, Apr 21, 2014
3.05/5  rDev -20.2%

Reviewed 4/3/2008 (bottle):

Pours a reddish colored body, with a big pink colored head that is somewhat lasting. Has a sweet dark fruity aroma, but not much else is present there. Has a sour sweet and creamy taste, Fruity. Some sweetness is lingering.

jujubeast6000, Mar 10, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured into a stupidly long-stemmed champagne flute.

Purple in colour, 2 finger champagne like head, moderate retention with some lacing on the glass, a small ring of bubbles was always apparent

Musty in aroma, some grapeish aromas as well, a syrupy sweetness was underneath the grape aroma

Grape flavors, pleasant tartness, an almost tannin like quality was there.

Very light in body, fizzy and effervescent.

Overall, good, not great, wouldn't get this if the apple of the peach is nearby. Guess this is the red headed stepchild of the lambics I've had, not bad but not noteworthy either

Fenris244, Apr 22, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -19.4%

Dark reddish purple clear body poured into a Lindemans flute. Nice 3/4 inch head of purple foam. Lots of sticky lacing on the glass. Gotta give this one credit for appearance.

Smells of cassis syrup and musty wood.

Tastes fruity, but not of fresh cassis juice, but an approximation, like a flavored lollipop. Balanced tartness and sweetness, with a bit of a tannic finish. I can taste a saccharine like sweetener.

Body is light and carbonation is moderate giving it a smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

I love cassis, and there is nothing I would like better than a traditional lambic with cassis berries added to the barrel. Unfortunately, this is not such a beer, as it is made with artificial aromas and sweeteners (Acesulfame K). I hope the rejuvenation of Lindemans will restore the credibility that it has lost. Despite my fondness for cassis, I am avoiding this beer until it is made with all natural ingredients. Now it is time rinse my mouth of the saccharine taste.

Beerenauslese, Feb 04, 2012