Lindemans Cassis - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans CassisLindemans Cassis

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Cassis Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer had a very clear, ruby colour and poured with a solid cap of pink foam. The fine bubbles showed good head retention and produced some chunky, sticky lace. The aroma was of tart berries and currants, a bit minty with some earthy, blueberry flesh. It reminded me a bit of being in the forest after a rain storm. It was very sugary sweet up front, with berries and currants cutting the sweetness at the midpoint. Leafy mint and moderate tartness lingered. Medium bodied with lowish carbonation. It was a little palate coating and had a decent texture. Quite easy drinking and a good fruit beer. The sweetness was a little high for my tastes, but worked well with the tartness. I really liked the minty character too.

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer comes in a black caged,capped,corked bottle and pours a deep purple colour with very nice carbonation that leaves a pink two finger creamy head with subtle lacing,the aromas are straight out blackcurrants with some hints of funky sour cherry,it has an above average mouthfeel with a nice sweet blackcurrant taste that only finishes moderately mouthpuckering sour with no hint at all of alcohol and tastes alot like a nice blackcurrant juice but a perfect balance in my mind between sweet and sour this is definately a very easy drinking lambic and would recommend this one for people just starting to venture into lambics.

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a sickly red, semi murky color. No real head, just a thin crust. Leaves thin red film on glass. I'll be frank: not an attractive presentation.

Smells sour and tart: more like raspberries than currants. The taste is, once again, sour and mildly funky. This isn't a true geuze or lambic by any means, it's much too sweet, and lacks the complexity. Still, I do like the currant sweetness and acidic bite. One bottle is way too much for one person at one sitting, though. The mouthfeel has just enough mouthfeel to liven it up.

Good.

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a nice deep rose color. The nose is distinctly sweet black currant, as I would have expected. There is a nice sourness and a tart black currant fruit flavor on this. There is also a sweetness, almost a bit too much for my taste. Mouthfeel is moderate with a nice dancing carbonation. Drinkability is good on this one. I could drink a whole small bottle in a sitting and be content.

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a rich ruby amber, with minuscule head and minimal lace.

Aroma is tart berries, both sour and quite appealing.

Taste is up-front tart berries again, with plenty of sourness. Really quite tasty and, after so many hoppy beers, this rich, complex, and delicious beer proved a welcome change from the norm. I'd drink this again, easily.

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Dark plum in color with no head, just a thin strawberry film with bubbles.

S - Berries, concord grapes, sour cherry. Some tartness coming through.

T - Sweet dark fruits (black cherries, raspberry, plum, grapes,) up front, followed by a mild tartness and a hint of sourness in the finish. Slightly acidic.

M - Smooth, medium body, decent carbonation.

O - A delicious black currant lambic. Although super sweet, its a highly drinkable and enjoyable brew.

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance is a dark purply red color with a head that is a lighter hue of the same color. Not too much retention and no lacing.

Smells pretty tasty, like wild berries and grapes. Slightly tart, a little woody.

Flavor follows right along with the nose and is pretty tasty. A mixed blend of berries, tasting like a mixture of raspberries, grapes and a touch of blueberries to me. Is that what black currants taste like? I have no clue. Also a slightly tart bite that is pretty subdued. A woody, oaky flavor is rather pronounced too, which is also pleasant. A pretty good beer overall I'd say.

Mouthfeel is thin and well-carbonated and slightly puckering, but only very slightly.

This one is pretty drinkable by avoiding being too sweet or overly tart. Pretty balanced and smooth, this is probably my favorite out of the fruit-Lindemans beers I've tried.

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

I really enjoyed Lindemans Framboise so when I saw that all Lindemans Lambics were on sale at Surdyks, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try another kind.

Pours a deep raspberry-cherry color. Produces a cotton candy pink head that is surprisingly creamy and dense. Head retention is something else, there was pink head on top of my brew for quite some time. Lacing is present, but not overly impressive.

A sour and tart nose. I don't know what this "cassis" fruit is that I'm smelling, but I have a feeling I like it. Very sweet.

The taste is pretty much what you would expect. The wild yeast leaves a slight woody aftertaste that you can barely pick out from the sweet and sour combination the cassis gives off. Powerful tart, mouth puckering goodness. I really like this.

For some reason, the mouthfeel is my favorite part about this one. Maybe it's the sour tart characteristic, or the ever so subtle carbonation, or the creamy and refreshing citrus character. I'm not sure, but I'm a fan.

I don't even care if this isn't traditional beer. I don't even care if some would consider this a wimpy beverage. I like it, and I'm going to keep purchasing it. This is definitely a celebratory brew.

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

A 750 ml bottle costing $9.45 at the North Coast Coop in Eureka, CA. This was the last of the four Lindemans Lambic and was the most difficult to rate. Poured a beautiful almost purple color with a head of the same color that lasted a long time and left wonderful lacing. Big nose of cherry and a touch of yeast. A feast for the eyes. Thick and rich, with remarkable smoothness. Flavor is very potent and I suppose is currents, but is a little odd to me. . Mouthfeel rich like all the Lamics. A ourch of tartness is there, but generally this is very sweet and almost overwhelmlming in its favors. My least favorite of all the lambics. But still not bad and very interesting to drink.

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a dark mahogany with a cherry-red tone and a slightly reddish tan head, rather inviting. Aroma is rich and yeasty with a fruity overtone, a mixture of cherry and blueberry - must be currant. Lip-smacking flavor is slightly sweet, pleasantly sour, mainly cherry and blueberry - currant? - with undertones of malt and yeast. Texture is very smooth and leaves behind a light tingle.

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Pours a little light but as the glass filled turned into a nice dark cherry color.
S: Smells like rasberrys with hints of grape and other darker fruits. Probably smells like black currants but I've never had one of those so...
T: A lot like the framboise style but maybe with a little more body in this one. Fruity and easy to drink. Lots of flavors here.
M: Sits light with a little lingering bitterness. The sweetness overpowers for sure.

Overall another good showing from lindemans. This is certainly on par with their other brews and I would recommend it for anyone.

3.99/5  rDev +4.5%

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Lindemans Cassis Lambic:

Appearance: very dark red, nearly black, about a finger of pink head;

Smell: decent sour smell, dark berry, hint of roasted malt;

Taste/Mouthfeel: dark berry (almost chocolatey), boysenberry/cranberry/raisin, good sourness;

Good.

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance – This is an awesome, shiny purple Lambic with a big, grape head.

Smell – The rich, tart grape juice is unsweetened and supported by rank, sour, farmy horse notes.

Taste – This is like drinking sour grape juice with a malty barnyard backbone.

Mouthfeel – This one is light to medium-bodied with some easy carbonation. The complex mouthfeel is a battle royale between the tart and sour notes.

Drinkability – This was very entertaining to consume and clearly the liveliest of the Lindemans family I’ve had to date. It is juicier than its Lindy cousins and probably my favorite of the bunch (although I think I’ve rated them all about the same).

355ml bottle, enjoyed in my parents' kitchen (with a tithe sample for mia madre) after the whole holiday shebang has mostly come to a close.

This beer pours a slightly hazy, very dark purplish brown hue, with subtle basal highlights, and two fingers of thickly foamy, rocky, and sticky pink head, which leaves some random splotchy lace around the glass as it slowly ebbs away.

It smells of tart currant juice, semi-sweet raspberries, gritty pale malt, and mild funky, earthy yeast. The taste is musty, semi-sweet currants, fruit sugar, sour apple, blueberries and raspberries, a bit of mildly gamey yeast, and a soft underlying graininess.

The carbonation is quite low, just a wee bit of frothiness, the body heavy fruit incarnate, and somewhat smooth, the acidity of the fruit and yeast having something to say about that here. It finishes off-dry, still moderately tart, and full of various sassy black fruit notes.

I sure like me the dark fruit flavoured adult beverages, like Chambord, and this, of course, for their sweet and sour interplay, and this beer has that in spades. Big titular fruit, aided by its friends, and nicely balanced through the natural complement between the fruit and the yeast. Right up there with the Framboise for my favourite in this line.

When looking for lambics in West Lafayette, you pretty much can only choose from 1 brewery. While I've already had the framboise and kriek from Lindemans and seeing as the cuveee rene was obviously nowhere to be found, I went for the cassis.
It poured a deep ruby/purpleish color with a bizzare looking pinkish tinged white foam cap that quickly dissolved. Now, I can't recall ever having black currants in my life, but I assume this brew smells a lot like them. Very fruity in the nose with only a slight hint (damn) of that brett funkiness that I love so much. A tart fruity taste is the first thing noticable, but it quickly finishes very sweet. There is a very slight hint of some musty flavors in this beer as well. If it was possible for those musty notes to become more predominant, I'd love this lambic. Overall I'm definately glad that I purchased this and I will probably be buying it more in the future as it's availability can't be beat.

Lindemans Cassis from Brouwerij Lindemans