Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

*I like it will buy again*

app: very crisp sparkiling wine look to it. lotsa bubbles! nice lookin.

smell: kinda mild, lil pepper litlle tart.. something pungent?? when I first heard the cork pop. some grassy smells for sure.

taste: kinda mild for the family its in. 100% nothing offensive. its got some nice tartness, nice drying effect in the mouth, I wanna say there is small hints of white grapes that pop in for a min. or two. under all the pepper grassy tart.

mf: nice and bright and dry, but in all the right ways.

drinkable??: I really think so. This is a great drink for women children and men alike. I kinda see it as gueuze light.

This is very classy and refined. nice flavors, like i said its on the light side, but what a treat. Use this as an intro to the style for yourself or your friends. then wander toward the big ones.
maybe not the most traditional.. I dont really know, its good though, and I like that.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a tawny gold with bubbles that settle to barely cover the surface. Clarity is quite amazing and makes for a brilliantly lit beer in the lowest of light. The aroma is complete funk. Sweat. Brett up the wazoo. Sweet fruit is very prevalent as well: strawberry, blueberry with light wine. A little acidity makes the nose crinkle. White grape, white raisin, white wine, this is a very light tasting beer. Sweet flavors shrivel on your tongue and turn it sour. Very tart and mouth puckering at the end. The sourness completely replaces any bitterness that would be in a typical beer. Watery and acidic, the champagne bubbles tickle the nose as you drink. Dry finish like a Brut.

I was genuinely excited to try this beer. I was so afraid of Gueuzes because of the lambic blend, but I soon realized these aren't sweet like Krieks. The bottle is really packaged with care and creates an air of specialty when opening and pouring. This is a very complex, funky beer. The sourness masks the complexity a bit. At times I felt like I was biting into an unripe lemon, and other times I felt like I was drinking a beer that was a byproduct of a sweaty, funky brewer. I feel like I'll pick out different flavors each time I try it, though. Makes me want to try it again.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750 mL capped & corked bottle into a Brewer's Art goblet. Moderate hand. No definitive date, but the label is stamped LI13MGC. Presumably a 2013.

A: Lightly cloudy honey-colored orange-yellow body. 1 finger of white head. Ok retention. Light lacing.

S: Citric and lactic acid sour with a touch of acetic. Suggests cherry, lemon, apple, pear. Hay. Grass. Basement.

T: Assertive, musty sourness immediately and throughout. Light bitterness on a rather dry finish. Lemon juice lingers in the aftertaste. No significant alcohol presence.

M: Effervescent with high carbonation that brings a nice fullness on the palate. Light to moderate body. Spritzy and refreshing, if not a bit prickly out of the gates.

O: A firmly sour gueuze with a solid and pleasant funk factor. Very good brew. Functioned as both a nice aperitif and a fitting complement to a rather spicy palak paneer and rotisserie chicken slathered with Sriracha.

Note: I had a terrible tasting of this in the past, which I attribute to a bad bottle. All the subsequent experiences have been consistent with the above review.

Prost!

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Looks like a pale ale, ultra carbonated with a huge head that does not like to subside. Smells like funky sour cider. Very tart and effervescent but no easily descriptive flavor. Very interesting

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%

Got this bottle a while ago, just decided to pull it out of the cellar and enjoy.

Pours like a saison, a murky orange gold with spools of yeast streaming suspended in the liquid. The white head rose to the top of my Duvel glass but receded pretty quickly and left decent but not amazing lacing.

Despite the green bottle here, no skunkage in the smell. This is a smell i have yet to enconter. Hints of earthiness, brown pear, lemon peel, dark wine, wood, green apple peel, some sweet and sourness, with that wildness of the yeast, an amazing array, quite a scent. It is like a saison on steroids without the barnyard scent, more refined instead.

Taste is sour but not as overt as other beers. The lemon flavor really carries from the scent along with the taste of brown pears, slight wheatiness, and tangy yeast. Loads of pear, lemon, and apple peel flavors in here. This is unlike any sour I have had, it is pretty sour put it doesn't make you cringe, it makes you pucker the mouthfeel and flavor delivery is incredibly smooth. It is well-balanced sourness.

Overall an incredibly unique beer that I could only imagine coming out of Belgium, it has characteristics of a wheat beer and a sour but takes the fruit level to new heights and isn't too sour. Worth 5.30 for the bottle. The 5% abv and non palate ruining status of this beer makes it a king among sour session beers.

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%

355 ML bottle from Butch's in Holland, MI.

This bottle was poured into a goblet while listening to Know Your Rights by the Clash.

Pours a lightly hazy orange almost the same color as the label on the bottle.

Huge amounts of fruitiness, candy, and grapefruit on the nose. Sweet, light, and apricots also show up a bit. Reminds me of some type of orange/apricot candy I've had before but cannot put my finger on it.

A lot of fruit, tangerine and grapefruit, on the palate. Sour! Very light, very fruity, yet tart but it is quite a curious taste.

Very easy to drink and although I don't see myself buying a lot of Lindeman's myself I will highly recommend this to anyone trying a Geuze! Definitely fits in the style. Has to be one of the best in the category.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

375 ml poured into Tulip glass

A- Light yellow to orange, slightly hazy, 3 finger white head.

S-Tart, light funky, lemon, hay, orange zest.

T-Lemon, citrus, tart unripe fruit on the front. Lots of hay, a little barnyard earthy-ness on the finish. Not puckering sourness. I detect a little protein, iron flavor on the finish. Almost like blood. Weird, I know. Had to check my tongue to make sure I didn't bite it or something.

M- Nice crisp tartness, very effervescent which helps to develop all the flavors of the beer. Doesn't feel thin or lacking. Solid.

O- I am thrown off by a little off-flavor at the finish. I am not counting this beer out because it has some really amazing tart and fruit qualities. The funk seems just a little bit off. It's good, but would like to get rid of that iron/protein/blood flavor and have more wet hay and horse-blanket. I would recommend this beer to people first trying gueuze.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

750mL bottle, vintage unknown, poured into a Duvel tulip. Cork came out effortlessly - a good sign. I've had a few lambics before, but this is my first gueuze.

Beer pours very hazy with a deep golden-amber hue. Even a gentle pour yields a 2 1/2 finger head with an almost creamy appearance. This beer looks beautiful in my glass. The nose is predominantly wood and yeast, somewhat acidic and a bit earthy. If this were a wine I would say I can smell the terroir. I could smell the beer the instant I opened it; I wish my apartment smelled like this all the time.

Initially sour is the predominant taste - moreso than the nose let on for sure. Between sips I get some bready flavors as well. As the beer warms some fruity flavors develop - I get a lot of apple and pear - and better balance the acidity. The body is a bit fuller than what I would call light, though the carbonation makes it feel more viscous. Each swallow leaves a very thin coating around the edges of my mouth - overall I really enjoy the mouthfeel.

A great beer, I'll definitely be seeking out more lambics in the future.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

No vintage on the bottle so I think it's the new packaging which means it's probably pretty fresh. Appearance is great. Clear copper with a very nice white head that won't go away in my champagne glass. Smell is very musty. A tiny bit of a rotten smell in there and you can tell it's very acidic. Taste is also very acidic and sour - definitely mouthpuckering. It has a very clean finish compared to the other lambics I've tried, which leaves me a little disappointed as I prefer the tartness to linger on the palate. The flavor seems a bit muted and doesn't quite have that zing that I've come to love. It's just a tad too watery for my tastes as well. Extremely refreshing though, and something I could drink all night long. Perhaps with some age this will develop.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance - Golden straw colored with foamy head that's quick to dissipate. Moderate lacing that disappears quickly.

Smell - Yeasty, hints of lemon/orange citrus zest. A little bit barnyardy. Reminds me of my grandmother's canning basement.

Taste - a great mouthwatering sour pucker. The yeast from the nose is very present. Has a lot of champagne characteristics.

Mouthfeel - Very silky. Just the right amount of carbonation

Drinkability - Goes down really easily, but the sour might wear on me after a while.

Overall, I am a huge fan of this beer. Goes great with the spicy thai noodles that I paired it with. We had trouble narrowing down notes on the taste, and it was mentioned that this beer is more about the mouthfeel and "what it does to you" more than how it tastes.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Presentation: Corked and capped bottle with tin foil covering. Poured completely from the bottle into a snifter glass.

Appearance: Pale orange in color. Lots of carbonation flowing toward the top of the glass. Almost no head after the pour. A little white lacing settles near the edge of the glass.

Aroma: Tart lemon and some barnyard funk. The funk and some pale malt are rather assetive here.

Taste: The lemon notes really stand out here. The sour notes are rather straightforward but really work well with the funkiness of the yeast. Nicely balanced. Clean aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Aggresively carbonated with a medium mouthfeel.

Drinkability: The flavors are intense and very upfront, but they are nicely balanced and work well together. The ABV is manageable and the mouthfeel works nicely.

Overall, a nice take on this style. Balanced with good sours notes. Nothing too complex but definitely something worth trying.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans