Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
bryehn

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Most certainly my first in the style, thought I was buying a regular Lambic, not a "double".

Pours a hazy, wheat-ish, almost American IPA pencil yellow. A decent sudsy collar stays after the moderate tan-coloured head burns off.

Witbier-esque banana and bubble gum come off the top of my regular-sized wine glass. After that, I get an undersized apple and ripe cherry citrus fruitiness.

Wow, that's a sour beer! Tart and sour, like unripened apples, rhubarb or white grapes. Very tart, bitter and I can't seem to find anything else. Tastes great though despite the imbalance, could have easily gone gross.

Very prickly and tart on the front of the tongue. Smooth; like a creamy light white wine.

Sour, yet highly drinkable. Awesome unripe, but overrripe fruit tones.

07-24-2011 04:36:37 | More by bryehn
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

I generally don't review Lambics or Gueuze, as they often overwhelm my palate. This one was quite drinkable...

A: Looks like a sparkling cider.

S: Funky, tart, sourness.

T: Sour and quite dry, yet balanced by a hint of sweetness. A slight earthy/metalic flavour.

M: Light to moderate body is very acidic.

D: Quite approachable for the style.

Thanks Kevin!

01-24-2006 03:08:23 | More by Derek
ecoboy

Rhode Island

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Peachy clover-honey hue with Just about no head. I never should have let the French server pour... she seemed to not want any bubbles for me to live in. Quel domage...

Fairly fresh and sparkly edition. Intense "Belgian" (really, that's summing it up) apply-yeasty note in the aroma. Aroma is sweet-fruitier than the flavor which is loaded with various fruit notes, most sour and/or vinous. Explosion of flavor on the front of the tongue and the tart quality fills the back of the cheeks in that area where one clenches one's teeth in a sharp intake of breath.

Mouthfeel is very light, finish unusually clean for something I associate with larger and more cloying regional examples.

How does one control the wild yeasts to this degree????

10-07-2004 22:11:45 | More by ecoboy
zeff80

Missouri

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Poured out a clear, very bubbly, golden-yellow color with a small, white head of bubbly foam. It left little to no lace on the fluted glass.

S - It smelled funky with a farmhouse-like, horse blanket aroma. There was also a phenolic/band aid smell, too.

T - It tasted fruity with notes of apple and pear. It had a good deal of funkiness and sourness, too.

M - This is one of the driest beers that I've ever had. It was light and very crisp. However, the sourness made it a slow sipper.

D - This is a very good beer. It was my first gueuze and I really liked it.

02-06-2010 02:23:56 | More by zeff80
LiquidCucumber

My first gueuze.

A - Cloudy straw colored with a giant and very bubbly head.

S - Grassy and earthy malts. A bit of funk and an underlying sweetness.

T - Tart, funky and quite fruity. Reminds me of a complex white wine. Takes a bit for a newb to get used to, but quite quaffable. I get what the barnyard funk descriptor is all about now! Even semi-sour beers have nothing on this. I've had a couple of American Wilds and nothing touches the funk of this; I am sure the earthy tones of this brew come from that.

M - Pretty light and bubbly, not sure the range of mouthfeel on this style, but it seems like most would be thicker, but I don't know the nature of brett. Quite dry as well.

D - Light and refreshing, just be ready for the sour. If this is a beginner sour then I am slightly hesitant to try more, but I definitely will! I find it very interesting that sours are becoming the new big thing, I guess it's because people have to work a bit to enjoy them.

02-16-2011 01:46:10 | More by LiquidCucumber
tkarsies

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Purchased for 8.99 at Grapes of Mirth in Columbus, Ohio. Served slightly chilled in a wine glass from a 750 mL caged corked bottle. This was our beer replacement for Champagne for New Year’s Eve.
Appearance was clear golden color with lots of tiny bubbles. Began with a small white head that left some lacing.
This is one interesting smelling beer. There is a musty smell that is more pronounced than I have noticed in other Gueze beers. There are also fruity, sour smells as well. I love the smells here.
On first sipping this, all I noticed was SOUR. Once I got by the initial blast of sourness, there were the musty, fruity, funky flavors I was expecting from this beer. Ends with more sourness.
This had a nice carbonated mouthfeel. It was a good substitute for Champagne. Dry at the end.
Overall this is a great example of Gueze. It is so much better than the more commercial fruit lambics from Lindemans. I don’t think I could drink this very often and definitely needed others to help me finish, but for the style it is very drinkable. It was enjoyed by several who only rarely drink anything other than BMC. I continue to be amazed at the flavors and smells produced in this beer style and will seek out this and other examples as I get the chance.

01-01-2007 21:20:09 | More by tkarsies
infi

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

My first Gueuze! 2008 12 oz. bottle.

Poured into a snifter.

After a few minutes trying to figure out my wine key and a broken cork later, I could immediatelly smell lemons and a bit of that 'funk' that I've been passionately hearing. Cuveé René pours very smoothly straight out of the bottle and reveals a very thin champagne-like head - white and very bubbly and dissipates in a matter of seconds and leaves no sort of lacing. The appearance is a clear golden yellow, sort of like a light apple juice, with streams of bubbly arising towards the top. The aromas instantaneously reacquaint me back to the lambic style. Tart fruit, namely lemon, apple skin and pear, wood barrels and that slight funk from the yeast are all funneling from the glass. Not quite the 'horse blanket' smell, not that I would know of that scent, but there's nothing of that potency. It's actually quite vinous, like a merlot or something.

As it hits the palate, I initially get a slight citrus and lemony flavor and apple tartness, which then leads to the renowned Brettanomyces funk characteristic. If let sit on the tongue for a while, that funk really becomes pronounced. A nice yeasty breadiness concludes the flavors in the finish and leaves a slight and dry puckering feel. Not as uberly sour or puckering as I was anticipating this was going to be, but it's still identifiable.

Mouthfeel was like drinking a champagne, being light-bodied, dry and crisp and fairly effervescent on the tongue. Drinkability is definitely a slow sipper as it's lively and sour.

This was definitely a nice introduction to the sour world for me and was quite a pleasant experience. I am now definitely interested in trying many others and slowly understanding the big desires for Cantillon, RR and the like.

10-27-2009 05:22:16 | More by infi
Hojaminbag

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A pretty light orange colored body with a healthy sized off-white head that shoots up the glass. Not a lot of lacing or retention.

The smell is all kinds of tart and sour. I also detect what a lot of people would deem a funky "horse blanket" or "barnyard" aroma. Definitely a gueuze here, gueuze aroma all the way through.

The taste, like the aroma, is also classic gueuze and very sour and tart. up front is puckeringly sour and is followed by some light, fruity notes that come through. Even the fruity notes are sour though. Next comes the "barnyard" type of flavor that I hate to describe with that word, but I'm at a loss right now how else to put it. The finish is slightly sour, but is by far the most mellow portion of the beer.

Mouthfeel is light and thin body. Slightly puckering, very smooth.

If you like sour, this one is pretty drinkable. Not terribly complicated, but tasty and smooth. Considering the price and availability of this one, it rocks, although flavor-wise it doesn't stack up against the best in class.

02-11-2009 03:55:46 | More by Hojaminbag
Mistofminn

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

355 ml bottle poured into my Surly tulip. For the life of me I cannot find a date on this bottle. Seriously.

Capped and corked bottle into tulip. Pours a golden orange color with an off white head that leaves minimal lacing around the glass.

The nose is sour and tart, with some funk. Sort of musty or woody, but very sour. I think I'm going to enjoy this!

The taste doesn't let down. Sour and tart, very acidic. Each taste is a new adventure and has different qualities as the last. Starts out very tart and light, but as it warms it becomes more acidic and sour. Lip puckeringly sour. Me likey!

Mouthfeel is light and dry, very acidic. Crisp feeling from the lively carbonation. Drinkability is great, if you love sour things of course.

Overall, this is a great Gueuze. Given my limited knowledge on the style, I can pretty much guarantee there are better and more highly regarded choices out there, but Lindeman's proves here they can make a quality brew that can stand the test of time. I have no idea how old this bottle is (my guess is no older than 2 years) but I would love to see how it changes with another year or two on it.

06-30-2009 06:36:05 | More by Mistofminn
hopsolutely

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

The epitome of its style, alas a style my own palate has not yet developed sufficiently to fully appreciate...

Beautiful reddish golden colour, very well carbonated with miniscule bubbles. Head dissipated quickly, but mouthfeel is champagne-like. This bottle was purchased less than a year ago with a 2010 date code, so it could have been cellared far longer.

Fruity, yeasty and bready aroma is enticing. However the sourness of the taste overwhelms all else for me. Realize this is my own tasting deficiency rather than a fault of the beer, but it will be some time before I invest in another bottle.

01-13-2012 03:04:04 | More by hopsolutely
DrJay

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Cloudy caramel with a white head that produced lots of lacing. Aromas of sour fruit, cidery apples, and yeast. The flavour mirrors the aroma, with a tart finish. There's a bit of citrus here as well. Everything melds very nicely. Medium to light bodied, moderate carbonation, and quite dry. Definitely a fine beer.

01-28-2006 04:01:14 | More by DrJay
cbl2

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

6/16/2007 $8.75 750 mL 5.00% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a slightly hazed orange that is imbued by loads of champagne fine carbonation that emanates from the "D" laser etched into the bottom of my Duvel glass. A persistent quarter inch film of creamy head floats adrift on top.

Aroma:

Sharp notes of tart cherries soaked in oak, with subtle vanilla and mushroom notes apparent.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Smooth for the abundant level of carbonation, but blisteringly tart, causing a drying mouth puckering sensation. Fresh cherries are present, along with an abundance of wood. Sadly there is also the presence of wet cardboard which leads me to believe this is skunked a touch. The oxidation is slight though, and mostly unnoticeable in the presence of the cherries, and apple/pear, which makes an appearance towards the finish.

I believe this is my first attempt at this style, and I'm intrigued. I'll definitely have to seek out more, to see how this compares.

06-16-2007 19:12:17 | More by cbl2
Jmamay22

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Foiled, capped and corked this gueze pours a rust tinted orange with a slightly hazy complexion and an ecru colored head. The fizzy head falls to a whisper of a cap, but manages to leave some limited lacing.

The scent is very complex. There's tart apple that dominates and a wonderful underlying current of wood. These lively scents are mellowed by a slight mustiness. A little like a damp old horse blanket. It truly transofrmative.

The first few sips shock my palette with its initial overwhelming tartness. Very fruity and emphasizes the sour apple of the nose. Some lemon tartness on the end. Not quite everything that was evident in the nose.

This gueze is well carbonated and its fizziness percolates the palette. Very light and effervescent. Despite the high impact of the sour and tart flavors it is easy to enjoy the full glass and look for more.. Works well with many different foods, especially many seafood dishes.

07-27-2008 17:40:17 | More by Jmamay22
BDTyre

British Columbia (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Golden orange with a very thick head. Musty, barnyard and citrus and sugar in the nose. Strong front hints.

Bitter, dry-champagne and cidery profile. Apples, lemons and yeast. Definite barnyard-y character; very earthy.

A great geuze, pairs nicely with a good farmhouse cheese.

06-25-2010 23:24:40 | More by BDTyre
JAXSON

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle opens with a big "pop"...poured into a regular water glass, which is my vessel of choice for lambics, saisons, and the like. Really great nose - tart, lemony, musty, with an aspect of cheese and flaky bread. Flavor was pretty tart, some lemon, a bit of cheese, with a slight lingering sweetness, very slight, barely enough to be noticable.

***This was an old review, I've had this beer many times since then, freesher vintages and older ones. The fresher ones are more full in the mouth and have a bit of peach sweetness, while the older ones have more of a well-aged citrus quality that I enjoy. The quality of the older bottles vary. It's a really nice geueze, a tremendous value.

10-29-2010 02:03:08 | More by JAXSON
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

Bottled 2007

A - Very clear yellow with orange tints and a slight white head that doesn't stick around.

S - Lactic acid, hay, wet stone, lemon, tart apple, musty earth and a slight bready aroma.

T - Tart with a biting sourness and a slight sting. Sour lemon, green grapes, tart apple, wet stone and a slight medicinal finish.

M - medium body with good carbonation and a dry lingering tartness.

D - Not as sharp, tart as other Gueuze I have tried but still tasty.

05-23-2009 03:01:40 | More by brewcrew76
matttttYCE

Arizona

355ml with a bottle date of 06 Oct 2011

Pours with a nice off white head, about a finger and a half high. Decent lacing. Murky/hazy golden or straw colored beer. Smells of tartness and sour apple, white wine, slightly like a warhead, citric/lemon qualities, light funk and hay, earthiness. Strong aroma and yet it's not overpowering either. Taste follows suit. Apple cider vinegar, sour apple tartness, white wine, warheads, lemon, hay, dry earthiness, and lightly fruity maybe pear and grapefruit. Pleasant taste for sure. Light body, light, bubbly consistency, round carbonation, tamer than champagne, and a finish that is light and leaves some tartness behind.

Overall this certainly a pleasant beer. I haven't had many Gueuzes thus far but this is certainly one that's worth a try and quite easy to find. Comparing this to Drie Fontienen Oude Gueuze, I like Lindemans Gueuze less overall but it has a much better value and is certainly easier to come by than almost any 3F offering.

11-15-2012 06:46:35 | More by matttttYCE
Bighuge

1994.

This beer is beautiful in its clarity. A light copper hue. A somewhat fizzy head to begin with turns into more of a creamy and lush looking coating in a minute. Aroma is lovely. Lemongrass, chalk, vinegar, must and tart raspberry. This is one mouth puckering lambic. The pucker quality really comes on after you swallow. As for other characteristics, I'd say this has quite a bit of acidity to it. Vinegar like. Sour apple like. And like lemon juice. There seems to be some grape like attributes as well. Maybe some grape skin. Tart raspberry comes to mind as well, although this beer is not fruity. There is a dryness present in this beer throughout. The tartness in this beer literally coats your whole mouth. Exactly what a good lambic should do.

07-03-2003 23:11:27 | More by Bighuge
jnn4v

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pale yellow color with a hint of orange. Two of the three pours were translucent and almost transparent. Mine was a bit cloudy as I got the last of the bottle. Decent amount of foamy head and some medium-to-large bubbles in the glass.

S: Crisp apple, funk, horse blanket, hay. Reminds me of a fall morning on a farm when apple picking. I don't know how to better characterize it, but it's amazing.

T: Very tart, moderately acidic, and quite refreshing. A bit funky, but less than the scent would have led me to think. Sourness rises after a few sips. As it warms and as my tongue adjusts, it becomes more moderate and almost reminds me of sparkling apple cider, but with significantly less sweetness or apple flavor.

M: Somewhat champagne-like, but with slightly larger bubbles. Again, almost reminds me of sparkling apple cider.

O: Good gueuze. Too bad many people avoid it just because it's from Lindemans. It'd be interesting to see how much funk develops in this if it were laid down for a few years.

06-14-2011 13:57:11 | More by jnn4v
uustal

Rhode Island

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a dark orange with a fizzy white heat. Aroma of grapes, apple, pears and yeast. Flavor begins with some sweet apple cider notes and pears. Sweetness gives way to tart white grape notes. Good counter to the sweetness. A bit of yeast and more sweetness kick back in on the very dry and light finish. Very fizzy, crisp and light.

04-23-2011 22:42:07 | More by uustal
DovaliHops

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a straw color with a nice white head. Scent is ver funky with a bit of leather. I love this scent...Great taste...Funkiness with some cheese flavors and more leather. Lots of lemon with more funky cheese and grassy flavors. Mouthfeel is very puckering and crisp. Drinkability is high. My favorite from Lindemans BY FAR!

02-01-2011 08:22:32 | More by DovaliHops
bobsy

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Peach juice pour with a bone white head that left some nice lacing on the glass as it dropped to a film. Musty nose with the slightest hint of horseblanket, which is then cut through by zippy lemon and dry white wine aromas. This gueuze has a nice sourness with a dry funk in the finish, and it exhibits a great balance which ups its drinkability considerably. Each sip calls to mind under-ripe fruit, grape skin and lemon with a little bit of hay and oak in the tail. Pleasant and remarkably easy to consume for a sour. Medium-light body with a creamy carbonation works well.

A classic gueuze, which can act as a model for the style but doesn't go so far as to completely wow you in any respect.

08-10-2010 13:24:54 | More by bobsy
oglmcdgl

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle poured in to some snifters and enjoyed with some eggs Benedict on the last day of vacation.

A- hazy yellow orange. An inch of loose billowy head from a hard pour that settles to a mirror finish.

S- oak on top of leather and lemon. A deep musty layer and a touch of powdery biscuit.

T- very tart and sour. Tons of old funky oak, horse blanket and leather. Lemon zest and a dry scone.

M- low carb and a slippery mouth feel. Nice pucker going.

D- the best brew from them by far. The aggressive flavor and low abv makes for a great second but its bugs are tuff. Worked well with the eggs to cut through the hollandais it was amazing. Do it.

04-07-2010 15:47:54 | More by oglmcdgl
bbeane

2002 Vintage...

A- Poured into a snifter... still has a nice white finger thick head that disappears relatively quickly and leaves behind some light spotted lacing. Beer is a brilliant amber color with light sediment

S- Very aromatic... smells very much like champagne

T- Not to much to explain... sour and tart, but delicious. I drank one of these about 2 years ago (from the same case) and remember it tasting very similar. That being said, the 8 yrs of cellering has left it tasty but similar to what it tasted before IMO

M- Light bodied with light carbonation

D- Very... If you like sours, this is definitely for you. I'm pretty sure I could drink this all night... besides the price tag

CHEERS!!

10-23-2010 04:18:46 | More by bbeane
studentofbeer

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Cuvee Rene-- this isn't one of Lindeman's sweet "lambics"-- this is the real deal.

color-- light pilsner color with a dirty white head. good lacing down the side of the glass. lots of carbonation, and dry dry dry.

green apple, hay, lemon, grass, dirt/ground, little musty, but not as intense as some guezes. nothing widely funky like cat pee or horse blanket in this one.

very dry and light on the tongue. zesty, sour lemon and floral characterstics. sourness on the sides of the tongue. very spritzy, tart and refreshing--you really get a flavor for the wheat. feel like there is almost some hop character to this one.

this is a good gueze but i think cantillon and others are certainly more deep, funky and complex. nonetheless, i can see this being a bit more widely appealing just because its not as funky and sour as some. this would make an amazing apperetif--dry, bubbly and not too overwhelming. just right to whet an appetite. Very champagne-like.

12-04-2005 04:15:57 | More by studentofbeer