1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,408 | Reviews: 775 | Show All Ratings:
sirtomtom

1.7/5  rDev -58.3%

Either everyone keeps getting amazing bottles and mine are terrible or their is something seriously wrong with my tastebuds. This review summarizes two bottles purchased several years apart from one another.

A: Both times a gorgeous hazy yellow color.

S: The first bottle, heavy barnyard funk with a bit of urine. The second time light barnyard funk and a faint bitterness.

T: The first bottle, heavy sour with an incredible cat piss flavor, instant drain pour. The second bottle almost non-existent sourness, incredibly light hay flavors, and a bit of bitterness, almost no flavor to speak of. The second bottle was improved with cherry juice to improve it and make it very drinkable.

M: Both bottles have an excellent fizzy mouthfeel and a nice light-medium body.

O: I feel like these bottles are a bit of a crapshoot. While I'm aware lambics/guezes can be highly variable in flavors based on the random bacteria introduced, if the results are not drinkable then why would they bottle a particular batch. Considering other mass available sours available, this is a terrible choice, with a much better choice being the Duchesse de Bourgogne.

09-13-2013 05:16:07 | More by sirtomtom
gueuzer

Colorado

1.9/5  rDev -53.4%

Pouted from a 375 ml bottle

App- Nice hazy, straw, cider color. Small white head with lacing

Sm- Citric with a small amount of funk. A little barnyard and some farmer's daughter. Not bad

Ta- Overwhelming acidity that can only be described as gastric. Tasted like I was drinking acid reflux. Utterly disgusting. Not even sour, just acidic. Tried to cut through and tasted some lemon, oak and tannic flavors but it was near impossible. Their blender must be devoid of all cognitive and tasting abilities.

MF- Good amount of carbonation. Bit full bodied for the style, but not horrible.

Dr- Undrinkable due to the taste.

Bought this to introduce a buddy to the style and was completely disappointed. A complete insult to the style. Suppose I should have know better coming from Lindeman's, but some of the other reviews made me optimistic. Will never buy again.

08-30-2010 16:51:30 | More by gueuzer
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.15/5  rDev -47.3%

I poured this 750ml corked and capped bottle into a champagne flute. It formed a 2" white head over the clear, orangey-golden brew. Foamy head lasts well, and lacing is nice. Aroma is a piercing tartness with a woody-soil tinge to it. This one doesn't have the balance of the straight Lindemans Gueuze. Its flavor seems to focus on the tartness which overwhelms any of the more subtle notes. I drank part of it with a lime to cut the overwhelming tartness. I don't have a very sophisticated Lambic / Gueuze pallet and this may be my shortcoming but I did not like this particular Gueuze.

01-23-2006 17:00:53 | More by TheEclecticGent
cro250klr

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

Got this just to say that I completed the Lindeman's tour. I tried all of the other Lindeman offerings and was let down by this one. Maybe because I've never had a gueze before. Nothing sweet about this brew. Drinkability was tough. If there was a scale for tart acidic taste and a lemon was a 10, this drink would be a solid 9. I had a hard time getting this to go down. Gonna have to get back on the horse and try another brand of gueze just for comparison.
Sorry Lindeman's, just wasn't impressed.

08-04-2004 19:35:16 | More by cro250klr
SacoDeToro

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

Poured a rich golden orange with a mighty white foamy head.

The aroma was that of tart yeast and that distinc lambic mustiness. Subdued floral hops were present in the background.

The beer had a very sharp bite and was very sour. The carbonation added to this citric acid intensity which finished with a minerally bicarbonate taste.

Ok, I'm ending this review before this beer makes me sick. This is not a pleasant Belgian sour ale, but hardly drinkable in my opinion. Imagine Red Bull without any sweetness - you're there.

06-27-2006 02:57:55 | More by SacoDeToro
GreenCard

Oregon

2.6/5  rDev -36.3%

Notes from the 20/09/2003 "de Lambikstoempers" tasting event...

Appearance: quite a beautiful geuze; golden, good clarity, lots of fine champagne-like bubbles, creamy resilient layer of off-white foam (like a dollop of egg whites!)

Aroma: strangely enough there was a noticeable raspberry/blueberry aroma to this one, but not much else

Flavor: disappointingly bland and watery; very light on the sweetness and all the lambic characteristics, short finish and a neutral aftertaste

Mouthfeel: thin and watery

Overall Impression: This might be a good "starter geuze" for someone who has never tried it. Sort of ease them into it. However, of the ones we tasted that evening, the Mort Subite Oude Geuze seemed a much more flavorful and balanced "starter geuze".

09-25-2003 16:11:31 | More by GreenCard
ZenAgnostic

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

Appearance - Lots of sediment in the neck of the bottle. Very cloudy apple juice. Dark yellow body. White, very foamy head that dissipates quickly.

Smell - Bitter, slightly stale.

Taste - Extremely dry. Cardboard. Medicinal quality to it. Like aspirin. Tastes like lemon or lime skin. Sour.

Mouthfeel - Very dry, a bit of a stale aftertaste.

Drinkability - Only poured about 4 ounces. Don't really even want to finish it. I'm not sure if this is just the style of the beer, or if I got a bad bottle. I'll be sure to re-rate this when I get more knowledge on this style. (edit) after reading some of the other reviews, I'm comfortable that this was not a bad bottle. I am now able to enjoy this more now that I know this is what it's supposed to taste like.

03-03-2011 04:22:38 | More by ZenAgnostic
jayhawk73

Maryland

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

A- Pours a medium gold color w/ a very thin white head that quickly goes away. Nice carbonation. This is my first Gueuze, so I'm trying to rate it not according to my tastes.

S- Tartness, funk, lemon, fruit, maybe a little pepper in there as well. The sour smell overwhelms everything else for me. But it's not bad. Trying to be open minded.

T- This made me give the bitter beer face. Like sticking an entire lemon into my mouth. Definitely some funk in the taste as well. It tastes like a skunky beer. I know there are guys who love this style, but I don't get it.. Yet.

M- Somewhat smooth in spite of the tartness to the beer. It leaves a sour aftertaste in my mouth. Very thin feeling, goes down easily

O- I've had Rodenbach before, and liked it a lot. This, not as much. Maybe it's one of those acquired tastes, but I really don't get this beer. I will try again though- not giving up that easily.

04-09-2011 18:06:45 | More by jayhawk73
alcstradamus

Washington

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%

This is my first Gueze, hopefully it is a good experience

A--Cloudy, light orange color with a half finger of head in my 25 oz. snifter

S--Very funky smell with apples, pears, oranges, and white grapes creating a nice complexity

T--Totally caught me off guard, I may not be ready for this yet. Tart apples, pears, mouth puckering sourness. A bit of funky band aid in the aftertaste. I am not completely turned off by it but I just can't enjoy it either, maybe in a few years I may try and re-rate this if I become fond of the style

M--Thin with a bit of a tart aftertaste

D--Uh, just couldn't do it. Those who like Gueze's please read a different review, those who are unsure should beware

UPDATE: I am starting to become fond of sour beers, so I will be revisiting this one in the near future for a re-rate

06-11-2009 03:16:58 | More by alcstradamus
SAABtech

2.83/5  rDev -30.6%

appearance is very light and amber in color.

smells a little tart with hints of wild berry and citrus

taste is very intense, overwelmingly tart and sour. i could not palate the drink. i dont see how some people describe this with a funky oak taste, leather, (although i didnt taste that)and sour fruit and still enjoy it but to each there own.

mouthfeel was good, very carbonated with a sharp clean feel.

drinkablity is low i would not likly drink more than one.

i would venture to say that it takes a very sophisticated palate to enjoy this beer.

05-03-2010 03:46:51 | More by SAABtech
champ103

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a cloudy golden/orange color. A foamy white head forms, but recedes fast. Some light sticky lace is left behind.
S: Some barnyard funk and hey. Light dough and biscuit aromas.
T: This is SOUR. To me this tastes like sour hard candy. I can't pick up any other flavors. Cloying sweetness.
M/D: Good carbonation. A light to medium body. The sourness really takes away from the drinkability.

Did I mention this was sour? I prefer Lindemans other gueuze to this (much more fruit flavors and depth IMO). It is still interesting, just not my cup of tea.

10-19-2008 03:40:15 | More by champ103
Jeffo

Netherlands

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%

Got a nice introduction to sours from Ron and Jeroen a few weeks back. This was the vertical theme, and it was really cool to see what time can to do a beer. Good choice gents!

From a 75cl bottle into a mini-flute
Note: Drank a 2010 before a 1994 vintage bottle. Review is for the 2010. Comparisons drawn.

APPEARANCE: Pours a tiny white head that disappears almost immediately. A slight wisp and ring form. Golden orange in color, hazy, with medium levels of carbonation evident. A slight wisp remains but leaves no lacing down the glass. The 1994 poured much the same, even though the group expected it to be flat. Impressive after almost 20 years.

SMELL: Very mild nose. Almost nothing here. Some hay and musty notes with a touch of light floral aromas, but in general, it’s mild and mute. The 1994, on the other hand, was much bolder with way more hay and musty aromas. Much more interesting.

TASTE: Acidic up front for sure. Hay and musty flavors start out with some sour apples and lemon coming in there as well. A mild and lingering sourness remains on the palate well after the swallow. Relatively few layers in this one and quite mild. The 1994, however, was much bolder and more impressive, just like the nose. Much more impressive and flavorful for sure.

PALATE: Medium-light body and medium levels of carbonation. Goes down fine and finishes slightly dry on the palate. This one is more beer like and less champagne like, which I appreciated.

OVERALL: Perhaps this one was destined to come up short being put after the Drie Fonteinen. Unfortunately we found this relatively one dimensional and boring all around. Less flavor and less character made this one quite uneventful. However, the comparison to the 1994 bottle was extremely impressive indeed. It looks like 20 years has done this beer good, or perhaps the 1994 bottling was far superior. Either way, this was a lot of fun and I appreciated the chance to try a comparison like this. Thanks again for the opportunity guys!

04-05-2012 20:40:10 | More by Jeffo
Beaver13

Colorado

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

750ml bottle, dated 2006. Pours a light golden yellow with a thin white head that quickly diminishes to a thin collar.

The aroma is old funky yeast and some fruitiness.

The flavor is mostly sweet sparkling cider and lots of apple jolly ranchers with a little wood and yeast. The mouthfeel is medium with sharp carbonation.

Overall, this tastes a lot more like a sparkling cider or champagne than a beer. I was expecting a lot more traditional sourness - this was very sweet and alco-poppy.

12-24-2007 05:30:48 | More by Beaver13
masikon

Washington

2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

My first of this style, this poured a subdued golden hue with mild head and some lacing. Smell was very tart, sour and sweet, very intense aroma. Taste was very sour in front which puckers the lips and finishes with some mild fruity notes, for me the sourness just dominates the experience. I guess I'll just admit that being a freshmen BA my palate probably just isn't devoloped enough to appreciate this style yet. I plowed through a tulips worth of this one but I could't get anyone I was with to even try more than one sip. I can see the value in this beer however so I will definitely be revisiting it after perhaps a year or so.

12-26-2005 00:21:08 | More by masikon
JDV

2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

Bottle shared by fly along with pint_size, and aceofhearts. Pours a glowing bright orange color with a very light, bright white head. Smell is funky sourness, and a bit gauzy. Taste is nicely tart, and yet faintly sweet, moreso than I remember from other gueuzes at least. Some oaky tart dryness and citrusy flavor to accompany as well. I'm not there yet, but I'm coming around on the style slowly. Thanks for sharing again, Alan!

04-06-2008 19:14:01 | More by JDV
samie85

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

A-Pours a hazy, honey colored orange/yellow with a one finger, white head.

S-Whew! This one is musty and funky as all hell at first. The must and funk fade into a predominantly lemon and a bit of funk scent.

T-Tart lemon and a bit of sour, funky notes to it with some earthiness on the finish.

M-A little thin feeling and watery in the mouth with heavy carbonation.

D-The musty character is hard to get by at first. The thin watery mouthfeel is also something I'm not really a fan of, but I would be willing to give Gueze another shot.

05-09-2010 22:32:01 | More by samie85
Stocean1

Ontario (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured into a large wine glass two two fingers, decent head and some lacing - an orange amber color - Smell is yeasty, some fruit and banana - Taste - is sour and earthy, funk, really unpleasantly balanced - like a funky dry sweet wine - not so much yeast/banana - Mouthfeel is dry, medium body and carbonation - Overall I was very disappointed in parting with $6.45 for this brew - could be it is not my style but I will not be grabbing this again.

07-27-2011 00:51:06 | More by Stocean1
SheepNutz

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

2001 Vintage. 750mL bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep orange/brown color with two fingers of head. There is minimal lacing on this one. The smell is a little musty with some white grapes and lots of acidity. The taste starts very sour, very very sour, with a bit of a dry sherry finish. There is a slight metallic aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and strong. Due to the high acid content, I was not able to stomach too much of this one. Maybe I'll like Lindeman's sweeter gueuze better.

10-07-2003 05:18:14 | More by SheepNutz
MrHungryMonkey

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Medium straw hue with good clarity and a little head.

Lightly sweet with a strange spicy peppery weed/grass-like aroma and a touch of cinnamon. Smells like an old church.

Not what I expected at all. The word barnyard comes to mind. Little sweetness and fruit flavors give way to barnyard tainted tartness. It kind of tastes like and old church too, or some herbal/thistle tea except it’s really tart. The tartness is more dull than strong and punchy. Finishes with dry and metallic hints. My tongue hurts.

Good carbonation and medium body.

Interesting and weird. This isn’t as tasty as I’d hoped, but it is cool. I look forward to trying more Gueuzes, only they’re so expensive ‘round here.

01-13-2008 06:23:31 | More by MrHungryMonkey
justintcoons

2011 Vintage.
750ml poured into a wine glass.

Appearance
Slightly cloudy golden-straw with 2 fingers of fizzy white head. Moderate-heavy carbonation.

Nose
Lemon juice, Sweet Tarts and vinegar.

Taste
Sour lemon juice, peach and Granny Smith apple skins. White wine vinegar and Sweet Tarts. Finishes with musty basement and hints of oak.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, moderately sour, crisp and clean.

Overall
Primarily loads of lemon juice, apple skin and vinegar. Not necessarily my favorite style of Sour.

01-01-2013 19:01:04 | More by justintcoons
corby112

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a cloudy dark golden orange color with a thick foamy head. Funky tart aroma that is sweet, sour and vinuous at the same time with yeast and light crisp frruit notes. Sour and puckering with a nice amount of carbonation. Champagne-like with sweet crisp light fruits (apple, pear and grape) and a very dry sour finish. Acidic.

12-04-2008 06:48:10 | More by corby112
Spider889

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

Review from the bottle at Winking Lizard.

Every year their bottle list gets a little more advanced. And while Lindemans has never really shown itself to make "true" lambics, I was excited to try this beer, which suggests the possibility of being the truest lambic they have yet made.

Poured into a signature Lindemans flute.

The beer has an unpolished brass color, cloudy, with visible carbonation. There was a tight small white head, made up of vigorous carbonation. Typical of many gueuzes, there was nearly no retention or lace.

Smelled of tart apple skins and strong basement funk. Aromas of mildew, damp cardboard, old wood and metal. It was very potent from the moment I poured the beer. The aroma finishes with dank notes of white wine and vinegar. Not bad for a Lindemans, indeed.

The taste was very dry. Tartness leading into full-blown sour twinges in the glands after half a glass. There's more apple - granny smith - that shows. Overall a fairly plain tasting gueuze.

The mouthfeel is extremely dry. The tartness combined with the dryness really turn this into a sipper.

This was a nice change of pace for Lindemans, but I think I'll leave my gueuze money in the hands of the time-worn experts.

02-04-2011 07:45:48 | More by Spider889
DogFood11

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter it forms a decent Ivory white head that falls to a thin coating. Light copper to golden in color.

whoa baby, this one is quite tart to say the least. Has some funk to it that most of us have come to love. Musky at times but the sweet tart presence washes away anything that comes in its path. Very crisp and finishes clean and a little on the dry side.

Notes: I liked it but it was just OK.

05-29-2006 01:26:49 | More by DogFood11
match1112

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

355ml bottled on 3 FEB 2012 into a flute glass.

a: clear golden amber body. off white head quickl towers up then fizzes out. no lacing left behind but plenty of champaign like bubbles rise up.

s: apple cider vinegar. maybe a little pear and some grass. a whole lot of funk going on in there, mellows as it breathes.

t: more acidic than anything. there is some apples and pears amongst a field of fresh cut grass.

m: very champaign like, thin body with alot of carbonation.

o: not a fan and probably wont buy again. does not compare to the few others i've had for the style. way too much acid without having a nice sour blend to it. aftertaste reminds me of acid reflux.

08-26-2012 22:53:04 | More by match1112
badandy

Ontario (Canada)

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

A: Oragne/copper. Non impressive head. Appears to be heavily carbonated.

S: Oak and wine tannins. Fruity aromas mixed with a dank cellar. Very interesting and complex aroma. Smells almost of champagne yeast.

T: First taste is very sour, almost of vinegar. I find it a little overwhelming, but then this is my first lambic. I find it hard to detect any malt and hops. Not particularly pleasant, but not unpleasant either.

M: Light bodied. Leaves a sour film behind.

11-09-2012 00:22:27 | More by badandy