Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros

JustAnotherGalen, Feb 15, 2012

DeliriumDuck, Jan 17, 2012

stevenbetz, Feb 06, 2012

webbcreative, Jan 01, 2012

mlemos101, Jan 12, 2012
1.7/5  rDev -58.3%

Either everyone keeps getting amazing bottles and mine are terrible or their is something seriously wrong with my tastebuds. This review summarizes two bottles purchased several years apart from one another.

A: Both times a gorgeous hazy yellow color.

S: The first bottle, heavy barnyard funk with a bit of urine. The second time light barnyard funk and a faint bitterness.

T: The first bottle, heavy sour with an incredible cat piss flavor, instant drain pour. The second bottle almost non-existent sourness, incredibly light hay flavors, and a bit of bitterness, almost no flavor to speak of. The second bottle was improved with cherry juice to improve it and make it very drinkable.

M: Both bottles have an excellent fizzy mouthfeel and a nice light-medium body.

O: I feel like these bottles are a bit of a crapshoot. While I'm aware lambics/guezes can be highly variable in flavors based on the random bacteria introduced, if the results are not drinkable then why would they bottle a particular batch. Considering other mass available sours available, this is a terrible choice, with a much better choice being the Duchesse de Bourgogne.

sirtomtom, Sep 13, 2013
1.9/5  rDev -53.4%

Pouted from a 375 ml bottle

App- Nice hazy, straw, cider color. Small white head with lacing

Sm- Citric with a small amount of funk. A little barnyard and some farmer's daughter. Not bad

Ta- Overwhelming acidity that can only be described as gastric. Tasted like I was drinking acid reflux. Utterly disgusting. Not even sour, just acidic. Tried to cut through and tasted some lemon, oak and tannic flavors but it was near impossible. Their blender must be devoid of all cognitive and tasting abilities.

MF- Good amount of carbonation. Bit full bodied for the style, but not horrible.

Dr- Undrinkable due to the taste.

Bought this to introduce a buddy to the style and was completely disappointed. A complete insult to the style. Suppose I should have know better coming from Lindeman's, but some of the other reviews made me optimistic. Will never buy again.

gueuzer, Aug 30, 2010

sunofneurot, Dec 22, 2013

JarMills, Jan 22, 2013

bigox420, Nov 28, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -47.3%

I poured this 750ml corked and capped bottle into a champagne flute. It formed a 2" white head over the clear, orangey-golden brew. Foamy head lasts well, and lacing is nice. Aroma is a piercing tartness with a woody-soil tinge to it. This one doesn't have the balance of the straight Lindemans Gueuze. Its flavor seems to focus on the tartness which overwhelms any of the more subtle notes. I drank part of it with a lime to cut the overwhelming tartness. I don't have a very sophisticated Lambic / Gueuze pallet and this may be my shortcoming but I did not like this particular Gueuze.

TheEclecticGent, Jan 23, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -44.9%

ajs4bd, Feb 03, 2013

zacheney, Apr 12, 2012

jaidenjb, May 02, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

Poured a rich golden orange with a mighty white foamy head.

The aroma was that of tart yeast and that distinc lambic mustiness. Subdued floral hops were present in the background.

The beer had a very sharp bite and was very sour. The carbonation added to this citric acid intensity which finished with a minerally bicarbonate taste.

Ok, I'm ending this review before this beer makes me sick. This is not a pleasant Belgian sour ale, but hardly drinkable in my opinion. Imagine Red Bull without any sweetness - you're there.

SacoDeToro, Jun 27, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

Got this just to say that I completed the Lindeman's tour. I tried all of the other Lindeman offerings and was let down by this one. Maybe because I've never had a gueze before. Nothing sweet about this brew. Drinkability was tough. If there was a scale for tart acidic taste and a lemon was a 10, this drink would be a solid 9. I had a hard time getting this to go down. Gonna have to get back on the horse and try another brand of gueze just for comparison.
Sorry Lindeman's, just wasn't impressed.

cro250klr, Aug 04, 2004

sharpski, Feb 15, 2012

Horbar, Jul 10, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -36.3%

Notes from the 20/09/2003 "de Lambikstoempers" tasting event...

Appearance: quite a beautiful geuze; golden, good clarity, lots of fine champagne-like bubbles, creamy resilient layer of off-white foam (like a dollop of egg whites!)

Aroma: strangely enough there was a noticeable raspberry/blueberry aroma to this one, but not much else

Flavor: disappointingly bland and watery; very light on the sweetness and all the lambic characteristics, short finish and a neutral aftertaste

Mouthfeel: thin and watery

Overall Impression: This might be a good "starter geuze" for someone who has never tried it. Sort of ease them into it. However, of the ones we tasted that evening, the Mort Subite Oude Geuze seemed a much more flavorful and balanced "starter geuze".

GreenCard, Sep 25, 2003
2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

Appearance - Lots of sediment in the neck of the bottle. Very cloudy apple juice. Dark yellow body. White, very foamy head that dissipates quickly.

Smell - Bitter, slightly stale.

Taste - Extremely dry. Cardboard. Medicinal quality to it. Like aspirin. Tastes like lemon or lime skin. Sour.

Mouthfeel - Very dry, a bit of a stale aftertaste.

Drinkability - Only poured about 4 ounces. Don't really even want to finish it. I'm not sure if this is just the style of the beer, or if I got a bad bottle. I'll be sure to re-rate this when I get more knowledge on this style. (edit) after reading some of the other reviews, I'm comfortable that this was not a bad bottle. I am now able to enjoy this more now that I know this is what it's supposed to taste like.

ZenAgnostic, Mar 03, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

A- Pours a medium gold color w/ a very thin white head that quickly goes away. Nice carbonation. This is my first Gueuze, so I'm trying to rate it not according to my tastes.

S- Tartness, funk, lemon, fruit, maybe a little pepper in there as well. The sour smell overwhelms everything else for me. But it's not bad. Trying to be open minded.

T- This made me give the bitter beer face. Like sticking an entire lemon into my mouth. Definitely some funk in the taste as well. It tastes like a skunky beer. I know there are guys who love this style, but I don't get it.. Yet.

M- Somewhat smooth in spite of the tartness to the beer. It leaves a sour aftertaste in my mouth. Very thin feeling, goes down easily

O- I've had Rodenbach before, and liked it a lot. This, not as much. Maybe it's one of those acquired tastes, but I really don't get this beer. I will try again though- not giving up that easily.

jayhawk73, Apr 09, 2011