Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Reviews: 829 | Hads: 1,871
1.77/5  rDev -56.5%

Either everyone keeps getting amazing bottles and mine are terrible or their is something seriously wrong with my tastebuds. This review summarizes two bottles purchased several years apart from one another.

A: Both times a gorgeous hazy yellow color.

S: The first bottle, heavy barnyard funk with a bit of urine. The second time light barnyard funk and a faint bitterness.

T: The first bottle, heavy sour with an incredible cat piss flavor, instant drain pour. The second bottle almost non-existent sourness, incredibly light hay flavors, and a bit of bitterness, almost no flavor to speak of. The second bottle was improved with cherry juice to improve it and make it very drinkable.

M: Both bottles have an excellent fizzy mouthfeel and a nice light-medium body.

O: I feel like these bottles are a bit of a crapshoot. While I'm aware lambics/guezes can be highly variable in flavors based on the random bacteria introduced, if the results are not drinkable then why would they bottle a particular batch. Considering other mass available sours available, this is a terrible choice, with a much better choice being the Duchesse de Bourgogne. (1,147 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -50.4%

Pouted from a 375 ml bottle

App- Nice hazy, straw, cider color. Small white head with lacing

Sm- Citric with a small amount of funk. A little barnyard and some farmer's daughter. Not bad

Ta- Overwhelming acidity that can only be described as gastric. Tasted like I was drinking acid reflux. Utterly disgusting. Not even sour, just acidic. Tried to cut through and tasted some lemon, oak and tannic flavors but it was near impossible. Their blender must be devoid of all cognitive and tasting abilities.

MF- Good amount of carbonation. Bit full bodied for the style, but not horrible.

Dr- Undrinkable due to the taste.

Bought this to introduce a buddy to the style and was completely disappointed. A complete insult to the style. Suppose I should have know better coming from Lindeman's, but some of the other reviews made me optimistic. Will never buy again. (864 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -46.9%

I poured this 750ml corked and capped bottle into a champagne flute. It formed a 2" white head over the clear, orangey-golden brew. Foamy head lasts well, and lacing is nice. Aroma is a piercing tartness with a woody-soil tinge to it. This one doesn't have the balance of the straight Lindemans Gueuze. Its flavor seems to focus on the tartness which overwhelms any of the more subtle notes. I drank part of it with a lime to cut the overwhelming tartness. I don't have a very sophisticated Lambic / Gueuze pallet and this may be my shortcoming but I did not like this particular Gueuze. (587 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -37.6%

Got this just to say that I completed the Lindeman's tour. I tried all of the other Lindeman offerings and was let down by this one. Maybe because I've never had a gueze before. Nothing sweet about this brew. Drinkability was tough. If there was a scale for tart acidic taste and a lemon was a 10, this drink would be a solid 9. I had a hard time getting this to go down. Gonna have to get back on the horse and try another brand of gueze just for comparison.
Sorry Lindeman's, just wasn't impressed. (501 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -37.3%

I had this on the advice of some members of the BA community. The scenario was that I was going to eat oysters and started a thread on what people thought a good pairing was. Gueuze was a popular response . Not knowing the style, I was excited to try. I have mixed feelings.
It poured a nice golden color that was pleasing to the eye, no problem there. However, the aroma was quite a turn off! I don't know how else to put it, but it smelled like urine. The taste started out salty and sour. It reminded me of the one Gose I have tried, which I didn't like. However, as I began eating the oysters, the taste settled somewhat and became more fruity. I had this throughout the rest of the meal and felt the feel is drinkable enough when accompanied with food. I would not drink this alone anytime soon.
What else can I say about this? I wanted to like it and was disappointed. Perhaps it is too radical a departure from the type of beer I'm used to and I just need to develop a taste for it over time. Perhaps it is just not my style. W'ell see. (1,044 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured a rich golden orange with a mighty white foamy head.

The aroma was that of tart yeast and that distinc lambic mustiness. Subdued floral hops were present in the background.

The beer had a very sharp bite and was very sour. The carbonation added to this citric acid intensity which finished with a minerally bicarbonate taste.

Ok, I'm ending this review before this beer makes me sick. This is not a pleasant Belgian sour ale, but hardly drinkable in my opinion. Imagine Red Bull without any sweetness - you're there. (532 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

Notes from the 20/09/2003 "de Lambikstoempers" tasting event...

Appearance: quite a beautiful geuze; golden, good clarity, lots of fine champagne-like bubbles, creamy resilient layer of off-white foam (like a dollop of egg whites!)

Aroma: strangely enough there was a noticeable raspberry/blueberry aroma to this one, but not much else

Flavor: disappointingly bland and watery; very light on the sweetness and all the lambic characteristics, short finish and a neutral aftertaste

Mouthfeel: thin and watery

Overall Impression: This might be a good "starter geuze" for someone who has never tried it. Sort of ease them into it. However, of the ones we tasted that evening, the Mort Subite Oude Geuze seemed a much more flavorful and balanced "starter geuze". (772 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Appearance - Lots of sediment in the neck of the bottle. Very cloudy apple juice. Dark yellow body. White, very foamy head that dissipates quickly.

Smell - Bitter, slightly stale.

Taste - Extremely dry. Cardboard. Medicinal quality to it. Like aspirin. Tastes like lemon or lime skin. Sour.

Mouthfeel - Very dry, a bit of a stale aftertaste.

Drinkability - Only poured about 4 ounces. Don't really even want to finish it. I'm not sure if this is just the style of the beer, or if I got a bad bottle. I'll be sure to re-rate this when I get more knowledge on this style. (edit) after reading some of the other reviews, I'm comfortable that this was not a bad bottle. I am now able to enjoy this more now that I know this is what it's supposed to taste like. (760 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Totally flat, without any complexity. Sour and bitter, but that's all you can say of this gueuze. Anyway I will give it a second try, because I hope that maybe it was spoiled by bad storing. Bottled in 9/2013. Opened in 7/2015 (226 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

A- Pours a medium gold color w/ a very thin white head that quickly goes away. Nice carbonation. This is my first Gueuze, so I'm trying to rate it not according to my tastes.

S- Tartness, funk, lemon, fruit, maybe a little pepper in there as well. The sour smell overwhelms everything else for me. But it's not bad. Trying to be open minded.

T- This made me give the bitter beer face. Like sticking an entire lemon into my mouth. Definitely some funk in the taste as well. It tastes like a skunky beer. I know there are guys who love this style, but I don't get it.. Yet.

M- Somewhat smooth in spite of the tartness to the beer. It leaves a sour aftertaste in my mouth. Very thin feeling, goes down easily

O- I've had Rodenbach before, and liked it a lot. This, not as much. Maybe it's one of those acquired tastes, but I really don't get this beer. I will try again though- not giving up that easily. (906 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -31%

Got a nice introduction to sours from Ron and Jeroen a few weeks back. This was the vertical theme, and it was really cool to see what time can to do a beer. Good choice gents!

From a 75cl bottle into a mini-flute
Note: Drank a 2010 before a 1994 vintage bottle. Review is for the 2010. Comparisons drawn.

APPEARANCE: Pours a tiny white head that disappears almost immediately. A slight wisp and ring form. Golden orange in color, hazy, with medium levels of carbonation evident. A slight wisp remains but leaves no lacing down the glass. The 1994 poured much the same, even though the group expected it to be flat. Impressive after almost 20 years.

SMELL: Very mild nose. Almost nothing here. Some hay and musty notes with a touch of light floral aromas, but in general, it’s mild and mute. The 1994, on the other hand, was much bolder with way more hay and musty aromas. Much more interesting.

TASTE: Acidic up front for sure. Hay and musty flavors start out with some sour apples and lemon coming in there as well. A mild and lingering sourness remains on the palate well after the swallow. Relatively few layers in this one and quite mild. The 1994, however, was much bolder and more impressive, just like the nose. Much more impressive and flavorful for sure.

PALATE: Medium-light body and medium levels of carbonation. Goes down fine and finishes slightly dry on the palate. This one is more beer like and less champagne like, which I appreciated.

OVERALL: Perhaps this one was destined to come up short being put after the Drie Fonteinen. Unfortunately we found this relatively one dimensional and boring all around. Less flavor and less character made this one quite uneventful. However, the comparison to the 1994 bottle was extremely impressive indeed. It looks like 20 years has done this beer good, or perhaps the 1994 bottling was far superior. Either way, this was a lot of fun and I appreciated the chance to try a comparison like this. Thanks again for the opportunity guys! (2,004 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -29.5%

This is my first Gueze, hopefully it is a good experience

A--Cloudy, light orange color with a half finger of head in my 25 oz. snifter

S--Very funky smell with apples, pears, oranges, and white grapes creating a nice complexity

T--Totally caught me off guard, I may not be ready for this yet. Tart apples, pears, mouth puckering sourness. A bit of funky band aid in the aftertaste. I am not completely turned off by it but I just can't enjoy it either, maybe in a few years I may try and re-rate this if I become fond of the style

M--Thin with a bit of a tart aftertaste

D--Uh, just couldn't do it. Those who like Gueze's please read a different review, those who are unsure should beware

UPDATE: I am starting to become fond of sour beers, so I will be revisiting this one in the near future for a re-rate (813 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

750ml bottle, dated 2006. Pours a light golden yellow with a thin white head that quickly diminishes to a thin collar.

The aroma is old funky yeast and some fruitiness.

The flavor is mostly sweet sparkling cider and lots of apple jolly ranchers with a little wood and yeast. The mouthfeel is medium with sharp carbonation.

Overall, this tastes a lot more like a sparkling cider or champagne than a beer. I was expecting a lot more traditional sourness - this was very sweet and alco-poppy. (492 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Enjoyed out of a 375 mL green bottle with a cork and cap, and marked with the vintage of 2012. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack Series tulip glass.

Appearance - So far, so good. A careful pour yields a large two-finger head of thick, sudsy, bone white foam. Retention is excellent, and it dissipates slowly, with significant pocking. Beneath the pillowy head lies a brassy golden liquid that is translucent, providing a clear view of the stream of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass to replenish the head.

Smell - The aroma is surprisingly nondescript, with some wet hay and barnyard funk, but very little of the tart and vinegar characteristics that I would expect from the style. There also seems to be a faint sweetness, which is surprising, given that I've read that this is one of the only Lindemans brews that doesn't get artificially sweetened.

Taste - Ugh. While the appearance was quite nice, and the aroma was rather dull, I'm just baffled at the scores on this beer, given the taste. I suppose it's possible that my bottle was not kept well before it got to my hands, but there just isn't much here. Generic funk, an almost mildew-like characteristic and an unshakeable impression of bile are really the only things going on here. There also seems to be just a touch of off-putting sweetness that is quite out-of-balance to my tastebuds. And there is almost zero of that puckering sourness that I love about my favorite takes on this style.

Mouthfeel - Light-bodied and moderate-to-high levels of carbonation that provide for a prickly, effervescent mouthfeel. The finish is mostly dry, but again that odd sweetness lingers, providing for a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

Overall, this beer just misses the mark. I'd read from multiple sources that this was Lindemans best offering, and if so, that is entirely disappointing. I had hoped to find a readily available and reasonably priced gueuze, but that is simply not the case. I'll stick to St. Louis Fond Tradition and Tilquin for my accessible gueuze needs. (2,049 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a cloudy golden/orange color. A foamy white head forms, but recedes fast. Some light sticky lace is left behind.
S: Some barnyard funk and hey. Light dough and biscuit aromas.
T: This is SOUR. To me this tastes like sour hard candy. I can't pick up any other flavors. Cloying sweetness.
M/D: Good carbonation. A light to medium body. The sourness really takes away from the drinkability.

Did I mention this was sour? I prefer Lindemans other gueuze to this (much more fruit flavors and depth IMO). It is still interesting, just not my cup of tea. (557 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -28%

appearance is very light and amber in color.

smells a little tart with hints of wild berry and citrus

taste is very intense, overwelmingly tart and sour. i could not palate the drink. i dont see how some people describe this with a funky oak taste, leather, (although i didnt taste that)and sour fruit and still enjoy it but to each there own.

mouthfeel was good, very carbonated with a sharp clean feel.

drinkablity is low i would not likly drink more than one.

i would venture to say that it takes a very sophisticated palate to enjoy this beer. (553 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -28%

I'm trying to get into these Gueuze type beers lately, as I enjoy sour food items, like grapefruit, and sweet-tarts. This one just didn't really fly for me. I may need to give it a second chance. (197 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -27.8%

Bottle shared by fly along with pint_size, and aceofhearts. Pours a glowing bright orange color with a very light, bright white head. Smell is funky sourness, and a bit gauzy. Taste is nicely tart, and yet faintly sweet, moreso than I remember from other gueuzes at least. Some oaky tart dryness and citrusy flavor to accompany as well. I'm not there yet, but I'm coming around on the style slowly. Thanks for sharing again, Alan! (430 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

My first of this style, this poured a subdued golden hue with mild head and some lacing. Smell was very tart, sour and sweet, very intense aroma. Taste was very sour in front which puckers the lips and finishes with some mild fruity notes, for me the sourness just dominates the experience. I guess I'll just admit that being a freshmen BA my palate probably just isn't devoloped enough to appreciate this style yet. I plowed through a tulips worth of this one but I could't get anyone I was with to even try more than one sip. I can see the value in this beer however so I will definitely be revisiting it after perhaps a year or so. (634 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

A-Pours a hazy, honey colored orange/yellow with a one finger, white head.

S-Whew! This one is musty and funky as all hell at first. The must and funk fade into a predominantly lemon and a bit of funk scent.

T-Tart lemon and a bit of sour, funky notes to it with some earthiness on the finish.

M-A little thin feeling and watery in the mouth with heavy carbonation.

D-The musty character is hard to get by at first. The thin watery mouthfeel is also something I'm not really a fan of, but I would be willing to give Gueze another shot. (539 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Taste was very metallic and skunky, and did not have a tart/ sour taste like style should have. I was very disappointed but hoping to try this again sometime but will buy from a different liquor store. (201 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a large wine glass two two fingers, decent head and some lacing - an orange amber color - Smell is yeasty, some fruit and banana - Taste - is sour and earthy, funk, really unpleasantly balanced - like a funky dry sweet wine - not so much yeast/banana - Mouthfeel is dry, medium body and carbonation - Overall I was very disappointed in parting with $6.45 for this brew - could be it is not my style but I will not be grabbing this again. (449 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

2011 Vintage.
750ml poured into a wine glass.

Appearance
Slightly cloudy golden-straw with 2 fingers of fizzy white head. Moderate-heavy carbonation.

Nose
Lemon juice, Sweet Tarts and vinegar.

Taste
Sour lemon juice, peach and Granny Smith apple skins. White wine vinegar and Sweet Tarts. Finishes with musty basement and hints of oak.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, moderately sour, crisp and clean.

Overall
Primarily loads of lemon juice, apple skin and vinegar. Not necessarily my favorite style of Sour. (506 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -22.1%

Medium straw hue with good clarity and a little head.

Lightly sweet with a strange spicy peppery weed/grass-like aroma and a touch of cinnamon. Smells like an old church.

Not what I expected at all. The word barnyard comes to mind. Little sweetness and fruit flavors give way to barnyard tainted tartness. It kind of tastes like and old church too, or some herbal/thistle tea except it’s really tart. The tartness is more dull than strong and punchy. Finishes with dry and metallic hints. My tongue hurts.

Good carbonation and medium body.

Interesting and weird. This isn’t as tasty as I’d hoped, but it is cool. I look forward to trying more Gueuzes, only they’re so expensive ‘round here. (699 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

2001 Vintage. 750mL bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep orange/brown color with two fingers of head. There is minimal lacing on this one. The smell is a little musty with some white grapes and lots of acidity. The taste starts very sour, very very sour, with a bit of a dry sherry finish. There is a slight metallic aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and strong. Due to the high acid content, I was not able to stomach too much of this one. Maybe I'll like Lindeman's sweeter gueuze better. (517 characters)

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans