Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Reviews: 843 | Hads: 1,906
3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

'03 Champagne bottle shared with my girlfriend and poured into a Lindeman's Flute, stolen from Winking Lizard Columbus. *jk feds*

Superbly clear golden body with a creamy white head that leaves tons of lacing down the glass as it settles. Some carbonation bubbles cling to the side of the glass, some randomly shoot to the surface.

I can smell this one a few feet away. Raspberries, cherries and some tart grapes with a little earthy funkiness. Very pleasant aroma overall.

Very tart initially with some metallic background notes. Raspberries and cherries come through as it warms and finishes with a white-grape aftertaste. Not bad.

Very thin and high in carbonation. That's about all there is to it. Pretty easy drinking despite the carbonation and the funkiness. I enjoyed it but likely not something i'll seek out in the future.

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured a rich golden orange with a mighty white foamy head.

The aroma was that of tart yeast and that distinc lambic mustiness. Subdued floral hops were present in the background.

The beer had a very sharp bite and was very sour. The carbonation added to this citric acid intensity which finished with a minerally bicarbonate taste.

Ok, I'm ending this review before this beer makes me sick. This is not a pleasant Belgian sour ale, but hardly drinkable in my opinion. Imagine Red Bull without any sweetness - you're there.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750mL bottle into a thin Lindemans pilsner.

clear golden orange with an inch of foamy, sticky head that retains well. tons of bubbles stuck to the sides and rising like champagne.

aroma is pretty weak. a hint of tartness, but dominated by a lemony, soapy-fresh aroma.

taste is better; assertively tart with some sour apple and lemon rinds. acidic, vinegary, slightly off-putting finish. lacking in character and complexity compared to some other gueuzes, with more of a straightforward tartness, but far better than Lindemans' other gueuze.

4.48/5  rDev +10.1%

Bottled in 2004. Served in a tall stange at just over fridge temperature.

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with a gorgeous, four+ finger head that settles slowly to a fat, supple crown. Good activity shooting from the bottom of my glass. Awesome lacing for a geueze... looks incredibly appetizing.

Smell- A fantastic, all-encompassing performance of sour cherries, horseblanket, and the funk that makes this an amazing representation of the style. As the beer opens up, aromas of fruit going "just over the edge" take over, introducing the sweetness of a neglected dumpster. I love it.

Taste- A salivary gland's wet dream... they pucker and contract, getting ready for the burst of sour fruit that is about to be unleashed. Deliciously farmy, as the sour cherry notes grasp the tongue and concede to the sweetness of the finish. The sourness left behind on the lips and teeth is awesome and, in itself, worth the sampling.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Cold, the mouthfeel is nothing short of amazing. The champagne-like bubbles pop and foam in the mouth and showcase the nuances of such a complex beer. As it comes to temperature, it becomes less carbonated and drinks more like a younger geueze, a few months from being drawn from the barrel. Overall, I loved this beer... it has an approachability that I find very attractive, and it drinks easily by itself or with light appetizers.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Bottled in 2005

Pours out a clear apricot with a thin yet frothy head. Very little carbonation makes this look almost still. Some lacing here and there. Smell is of musty attics, oak, wheat, and citrus peel. I pick up a little spiciness along with an acidic tinge married with some faint sugars. Flavor is, at first, a fairly loud sour presence, which quickly backs down to a barely sweet middle. Tastes are of the typical musty old house accompanied by lime pith and tart, underripe fruit. I hoped for this to be a bit more balls-to-the-wall, but its subdued elegance is satisfying enough. Mouthfeel is light, slightly bubbly, and, overall, drying in the finish, but could be drier. Really refreshing and complex enough to be highly drinkable, but the faint residual sugars need to go and this needs to dry up.

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%

This is a tough beer to review for me. It's the first gueuze I've had so it's hard to judge how it compares against the style.

Of course, an extremely unique style of beer. I've had several lambics over the past year or so, and have grown to really enjoy the style. I was often curious to what a lambic would taste like without the fruit, so I finally dished out the $8 and picked up a 750 of the Cuvee Rene.

My personal preference is for bitter beers, which this is far from. I absolutely loved the tartness of this. A very dry beer with that taste like biting into a lemon. A champagne level of carbonation that doesn't go away. Even after letting it sit in my tulip for a while to warm up, I could swirl it around and create another head. It's hard to get many specific flavors out it because the tartness is so overpowering. Bacteria is a hell of a thing.

Not something I'd drink every day, but a beer I enjoyed enough to actively try more from the style.

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

Very interesting Geuze (should I say a Premium Geuze?) from a well-established brewery. Much more sour and tart than Lindemann's regular products but closer to original artisan Geuze and that makes it worth a try. Very dry aromatic brew with majestic crown and straight-between-the-eye taste. Pleasant - but I doubt it will become your everyday beer.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Clear gold, topped with a giant puff of white foam. A solid, large bubbled coating remains, tons of lace dappled all over the goblet. Racing carbonation bubbles. Pleasantly funky, farmy aroma. Moderate tartness, with strong bleu cheese notes. Wet grass, green apple and aluminum. The flavor starts out with a fizzy explosion of carbonation, very airy and light feeling. Tartness, stronger than I'd anticipated from a Lindemann's brew, takes over the palate with a green apple flair. Funky, cheese, moldy notes in the finish, with freshly mown grass and receding fruity sourness. Some citrusy notes in the aftertaste, lemon/lime, finishing the beer off with a fresh, sparkling feel. Chalky and very dry. The acidity is a bit more restrained than say, a Cantillon, which makes for supreme drinkability. Really, really nice.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

750 ml bottle with a bottling date of '05

Had to go two out of three falls in order to remove a very stubborn cork...but it was definitely worth the effort.

Pours a hazy yellow-gold with a quickly collapsing stark white collar of foam. Aroma is as musty as Grandma's cat-filled basement on a humid Michigan summer day. Some may say horse blanket, but in the words of Col. Sherman Potter, that's just "Horse Hockey". This is cat pee all the way...but in a good way.

Prepared for anything, I take my first sip. Entry shows perfect mouth caressing carbonation, quickly followed by funky wee beasties and soured crabapples.

The finish?

...and did I mention how dry it is?

I'm not sure what I expected, but this was a rare treat. Not as over the top as I imagined...but 750 ml goes pretty quickly even when savoring evey sip.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter it forms a decent Ivory white head that falls to a thin coating. Light copper to golden in color.

whoa baby, this one is quite tart to say the least. Has some funk to it that most of us have come to love. Musky at times but the sweet tart presence washes away anything that comes in its path. Very crisp and finishes clean and a little on the dry side.

Notes: I liked it but it was just OK.

3.51/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a bright pale gold with a white fluffy head. Aroma is a mix of wet grass, honey and old shoes. Laces fairly well, not extensive but decent.

Taste is a lambic punch in the jaw: Quite citrusy sour, like lemon juice that's gone off. Pale toasty malt, fruity with the grainy flavor of chewable vitamin C tablets. While most of the flavors are sour, it ends with a slight bit of sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light and wispy, crisp, thin yet satisfying. Not a real complex gueuze, softer, pretty basic, very user-friendly. Not as musty as it should be, not even a lot of sediment in the bottle, but good nonetheless.

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

750 ml bottle. Very effervescent, almost champagne-like. Thin, persistent head with a creamy appearance. Right from the pour, smells sharp, almost astringent, but has notes of apricot. Mouthfeel is thinner than the fruit lambics, but creamier than, say, a pils. Taste is sharp at first, then mellows into a pleasant sour note on the back of the tongue. All in all, very enjoyable. Definitely a different experience than the sweet gueuze beers.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

appearance: light orange color with nice foamy head that fades fast...lacing coats the tulip, a nice looking beer, with a thin film.

smell: sort of a mild tart lemonade smell, tart, with barnyard characteristics. mild.

taste: a pleasant tartness like sour lemonade, super tart "barnyard" flavors. i'm a bit more experienced with Flemish Reds, this is like that with no malt character, just letting that natural funk do it's thing. i love it, but a sip given to a person not expecting rejected it as horrible vinegar.(while loving the frambouse of course).

mouthfeel: so light on the tounge makes this beer a pleasure to drink, the carbination keeps things lively.

drinkability: a pefect light drinking summer beer, heck pair this with burgers and fries, or something like that. A lambic that is very sour and tart compared to even the funkiest saisons. a beer for all seasons

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Clear, brassy-gold in hue, the color is truly lovely! White head, at the apex the foam was two fingers tall. I am impressed at how fluffy the foam is plus it has damn good staying power too. In other words, head retention was good; it took many minutes before the head faded noticeably. A soapy cap lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was unorganized and not very widespread. From top to bottom this is an attractive beer!

The nose doesn’t jump out of the glass but the potency is still loud enough. I really like what it is saying. Bright tartness but retrained at the end, woody notes, apples, lemon, musty barnyard like the morning after a heavy dew. The bouquet is earthy but not in a “dark” way. I am impressed that the rustic vibe harbors warmth, I can’t think of two many Guezues that accomplish it. Granted, other Guezues are much more complex. No complaints with this one though, it says everything I want it to. Lovely. Inviting!

Holy hell! I’ve had enough Guezues to know what is coming on the palate but the nose lolled me to sleep. BAM! I was sucker-punched with a big, beefy blast of tartness! I love it! What I am a rookie? This beast is making me pucker! I love it! Jaded no longer? Tart apples and pears upfront, followed by lemon rinds, grass too, and some cork. The finish is acidic and briefly fruity sweet with hints of rhubarb. Very dry aftertaste, clean too… sharp but kind of empty for my tastes. I really like the palate but, IMO, it lacks a bit of complexity but the tartness and dry finish is no joke. Sadly, by my second glass I was use to the tartness and the lack of depth was more noticeable. I was ready to score this beer high but I can’t any long. At best, this is a very good Gueuze… not outstanding, just really good. There is nothing wrong with that. While Lindemans might brew some overly sweet beers this one is more traditional. I like it.

The mouthfeel is very ordinary but fitting for the style; medium/medium-light in body, lively, zippy carbonation… very refreshing.

I’ve had this 2002 edition since 2004 when I purchased it in Minneapolis, MN. Why did I wait to drink it? I wasn’t cellaring it. I just didn’t drink it. I guess I figured it wouldn’t be this good. Now I am happy I can buy more in Kansas City. I’d be happy to drink this again on a hot summer’s day or with a salad or with bleu cheese… or all by itself. Recommended!

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Yellow-gold. Suprisingly clear. Aroma shows floral elements, semi-tartness, and sweetness. On the palate, the initial threat of tartness gievs way to a mild sweetness before that tart element returns rapidly. The flavors are bright and satisfying. Overall this contributes to a pleasant sensation. Cuvee Rene is refreshing, and perfectly quaffable.

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours golden with just hints of red throughout. Has a foamy white head that diminishes to a ring. The aroma is vinous and of grape skins. A bit of sweet and tartiness too.

The flavor is fruity and tart, again with the grape skins and a bit of sour apple. It is light-medium in body and a bit acidic. Nice brew.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

By far not my style of beer so my review may bang it a bit more than it deserves. Pours an orangeish amber into the glass. Minimal head and minimal lacing. Sweet fruity aroma. Astringent melony taste. Probably the best gueuze I have had to date, but still far from what I would buy. Perhaps my tastes are changing, yet again. I guess we shall see.

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance: Opaque and golden like an old farmhouse cider, it sported a mighty fine white head that kicked the ass of most other lambics I had the previlege to try.

Smell: Speaking of cider, the aromas were similar to the ciderhouses I visited in Normandy, like an old dusty barnyard, and a strong dose pepper that almost made me sneeze every time I'd stick my nose in the glass. Do they sprinkle histamines in there?

Taste: Carbonation is livid, the acidity level was nice and reminded me of the time I crunched on a piece of raw wild rhubarb back when I was a kid. The "funk" level was relatively low and the aftertaste was a bit short. Still a nice Gueuze that I can relatively easily, relative meaning a 2-hour drive into a foreign country!

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

2002 bottling, sampled in Jan of 2006

Clear copper in color, with a thin, spotty off-white head that soon dissipates to reveal a streaked glassy surface. The aroma is strong, sour, and enticing. Grapey and tart. One sniff and I'm back in Brussels, spending late nights in the Mort Subite...

Not quite as much bite in the flavor as the aroma would have led me to expect. It's still quite tart at the start, mind you, but the flavor has a nice fruity apricot roundness to it in the center, with hints of overripe apple and a bit of funk in the finish. Acidic and dry as Tucson in June, but amazingly smooth and drinkable.

This is miles away from the fruity crap this company puts out. Definitely worth sampling, and worth sitting on for a good long while if you can restrain yourself. Amazing.

Appearance: Deep golden color, with a touch of haze, small, persistent white head, small streams of fine carbonation, and thick, glass-coating lace.

Aroma: Profound musty, sour aroma, with notes of sour hay, barnyard, earth and white wine vinegar, in all, conforms well to style.

Taste: Sharply tart, with profound lemon rind and vinegar notes, understated clove spiciness, and an earthy musty character. The finish is profoundly dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft, perhaps a touch harsh, very much like champagne.

Drinkability/notes: A solid, credible example of the most royal of beers. Lambics are an acquired taste, to be sure, but a taste worth acquiring. If a beer style can be said to be transcendent, then it is the Lambic style.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

orange and foamy out of the bottle, not untypical for the style. tart and dry nose, some vinegar. slightly complex gueze but not terribly so -- only average. tastes of lambic funk, tart and dry with some acetic qualities. scrubbing bubbles in the mouth, fairly light body.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Cloudy caramel with a white head that produced lots of lacing. Aromas of sour fruit, cidery apples, and yeast. The flavour mirrors the aroma, with a tart finish. There's a bit of citrus here as well. Everything melds very nicely. Medium to light bodied, moderate carbonation, and quite dry. Definitely a fine beer.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

I generally don't review Lambics or Gueuze, as they often overwhelm my palate. This one was quite drinkable...

A: Looks like a sparkling cider.

S: Funky, tart, sourness.

T: Sour and quite dry, yet balanced by a hint of sweetness. A slight earthy/metalic flavour.

M: Light to moderate body is very acidic.

D: Quite approachable for the style.

Thanks Kevin!

2.16/5  rDev -46.9%

I poured this 750ml corked and capped bottle into a champagne flute. It formed a 2" white head over the clear, orangey-golden brew. Foamy head lasts well, and lacing is nice. Aroma is a piercing tartness with a woody-soil tinge to it. This one doesn't have the balance of the straight Lindemans Gueuze. Its flavor seems to focus on the tartness which overwhelms any of the more subtle notes. I drank part of it with a lime to cut the overwhelming tartness. I don't have a very sophisticated Lambic / Gueuze pallet and this may be my shortcoming but I did not like this particular Gueuze.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottled in 2004: Pours with a good head. Body is a light straw color. Some sourness in the nose, as well as some malt notes.

The taste is well balanced between the malt, the citric sourness, and slight funk. Not as shocking to the palate as Cantillon. Lively mouthfeel from the carbonation, and insanely drinkable. Maybe a good introduction to the style for the uninitiated.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans