1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Ratings: 1,408 | Reviews: 775 | Show All Ratings:
AleWatcher

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

On tap, served in oversized wine glass.
Reviewed from notes.

Lightly hazed orange body with a fluffy meringue head. Excellent lacing and retention.
Smells like apples, pears, oak, sour lactic and citric acid, and a little vinegar note. The taste follows suit.
Wow. Considering how little I think of Lindeman's other beers (except Cassis), I cannot believe how good this beer is.
I've had lots of gueuze-- buy at this pricepoint and availability, Cuvee Rene is top-notch.
Light airy body with a strong sourness that pulls at my cheeks; this beer is a delicious treat that I can drink anytime!

07-31-2011 21:37:51 | More by AleWatcher
kilo_005

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 1-year-old bottle into a white wine glass.
A: stunning yellow-orange color that almost matches the color of the paper in the bottle (coincidence?) when first poured lots of swirling bubbles like champagne but that stopped and did not reappear in subsequent pours
S: extremely potent. I could smell the beer immediately after opening standing three feet away. Both the funky weird aromas and the delicious sour aromas are present in spades.
T: incredible. You just can't stop sipping it because the sour taste is so refreshing and delicious. And, unlike what you see with a lot of Belgian sour ales (ie not lambics), you don't get any unpleasantness at all on the aftertaste
M: great of course. The tartness works perfect with the level of carbonation.
O: excellent. If you like funky sour beers this one is a no brainer.

04-06-2014 21:27:22 | More by kilo_005
Tom_A

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Bottled on May 2011; opened & drank on 4 April 2014.

Poured from 375mL bottle Iinto a chalice; it has a lightly golden appearance with a small head (< 1cm).

Smell was quite nice. The aroma distinctive of sours was present, though maybe not as pronounced as with some of the Oud Bruins or other sour styles that I'm more accustomed to drinking.

The first thing that struck me was the feel in the mouth: lots of carbonation. Accompanied with the characteristic dryness, it speaks to the style's nickname as Brussels Champagne.

The taste is quite sour, certainly. My palette my not be refined enough, but I found it fairly one-dimensional on thr taste. It's possible that the heavy carbination and acute sour taste pushed out any more hard to find flavors.

Overall, it was good, but I wouldn't pay the $15 to have it again. i'm not accustomed to gueze styles, though I do enjoy sours but found this a little over-powering. If you don't typically drink sours, I would build up to this.

04-04-2014 23:55:16 | More by Tom_A
BMMillsy

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle from Bottle Barn on my trip to Cali, shared with beastmaster. Dated May 2013, poured on March 29, 2014. Pours a slight cloudy deep orange color with a half finger white head. Aroma of sour mint leaves, some light citrus, dusty oak, sweet candy sugars. Mmmm. Flavor is citrusy, very lightly sour for a Geueze, and not as dry as I expected. Some juicy pear an lots of sweet and sour flavors going on.a

03-30-2014 02:30:36 | More by BMMillsy
eduardolinhalis

Switzerland

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

750ml bottle served in a chalice.

A: Pours an slightly cloudy orange color forming a medium sized big bubbled head with low retention and some lingering lacings left in the glass

S: Strong fruity and Lambic perfume left in the air. Strong notes of peaches. Sweet malts. Notes of white grapes vinegar. Lambic-like yeasts. A bit metallic

T: Follows the nose. Sweet grains mixed with a strong fruity upfront. Strong notes of peaches, white grapes, vinegar. Sour but not extremely. In overall, a quite dry and funky taste. A bit metallic in the mouth too

M: Light body. Good carbonation. White grapes vinegar aftertaste

O: Good drinkability. Classic Belgian fruity Lambic character. Classic

03-20-2014 20:40:52 | More by eduardolinhalis
bb0bbby

I found this at a local pizza shop in Charleston WV as my first Gueuze. Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene was golden in color and kind of cidery sweet tart. Slightly similar to dry wine mouthfeel. The finish had me wanting a 12 pack. Very enjoyable and highly recommended.

I am hunting for this everywhere I go and would love to find it on tap.

03-18-2014 18:01:33 | More by bb0bbby
Axnjxn

4.26/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml capped and corked bottle into a tulip.

pours a dark golden color with a nice head. smell of traditional vinegar, very acedic..lovely. taste is right on point . quite tart..not lip puckering but close. very funky and acedic and just awesome if you're a gueze fan. mild carbonation ... mild body.

overall one of the better readily available gueuzes. and the price point rocks.

03-09-2014 02:01:01 | More by Axnjxn
Richardbeerlover

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a nice medium head with dark yellow color. Can't put my finger on how it smells. It smells like a typical lambic beer is all I can say. Taste is somewhat champagne but no sweetness. Nice carbonation, sour and a very slight bitterness at the finish. Tastes like it smells. Has that funkyness that everyone talks about. A very nice beer.

03-08-2014 03:27:37 | More by Richardbeerlover
CAMRAhardliner

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

Label says 5.5, LCBO sticker says 6.7. Big discrepancy there.

Pours a clear bronze gold with tons of huge, frenetic carbonation bubbles rushing in streams to the giant foamy white head. Retention is incredible, lasting most of the glass. Rustic funkyness, straw, wheat malt in the nose. Tart green apple, wet hay, citrus rind, stinky cheese, vinegar, cherries and many other lambic flavors fill the taste. The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with a full, prickly carbonation. The finish is ultra dry and quite sour.

This is a great Gueuze, perhaps not as extremely sour as some example, its full of complexity and funk. A standard for the style and a must try. I find the other Lambics of this brewery to be too sweet.

03-01-2014 17:51:10 | More by CAMRAhardliner
katalijne

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From a bottle dated 6 July 2012, poured into a Lindeman's flute.

A: Pretty straw gold with lots of champagne-like bubbles, tall eggshell colored head that recedes slowly, eventually leaving just a ring. Lots of floaty sediment as the carbonation slows.
S: Some good barnyard funk, lemon zest
T: Some sour lemon and a little raw ginger flavor, tart green grapes. Some nice sourness, although a little less than I was hoping for.
M: Light bodied with just about the right amount of carbonation.
O: Very enjoyable, a little less sour than I would like. Very good and much better than I expected from Lindeman's, my only other memorable experience being with their Framboise before I really drank beer.

02-14-2014 04:19:03 | More by katalijne
Badger6

4.11/5  rDev +0.7%

355ml bottle into a Petrus goblet. Brewed in Apr 2013.

A: Golden color. Very bubbly, some head, that quickly recedes.

S: Orange rind, grapes, a little spice, some earthiness.

T: Green grapes, citrus up front. A sour flavor comes through quickly and follows to the end. Some malts are apparent as it finishes. There is an earthiness to the flavor as well.

M: One word, light. A little sharp on the carbonation, but nothing harsh.

O: Tasty and interesting, but not overly complex. Flavors are not particularly bold or clear, but the lightness to the brew makes it enjoyable. Some to the character of this brew is a direct result of its age, 10 months. Older might be much better on this style.

02-08-2014 22:15:33 | More by Badger6
jwchestnut

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

As my initial gueuze I was really pleased with this one. Lots of head on the pour, lots of little tight little bubbbles, hazy, orange color. The nose is initially a little tangy, a little funk, followed by some green apples or white grapes with sourdough bread - maybe my favorite part. Taste followed the smell for me - strong tart and sour green apples and 'farmy' funk on top of the bready sourdough flavor. Very tight bubbles and finishes extremely dry.

02-08-2014 20:11:59 | More by jwchestnut
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is actually my first gueuze for review, so I'll try to be as kind as I can.

Thanx to my friend Tim for getting this for me.

Bottled: "22 Mei 2013." Sorry, but the typical American in me assumes that's "May" I guess. Anyways, well, here goes:

Into a stange and a tulip, shared with my friend Tim.

A: In the stange, the body seems a bit lighter in color closer to a lighter side of orange tinted yellow, the tulip produces a darker hazier orange colored body (weird, ok, I wonder if this is normal) anyways, both have the same sized head - about a finger's worth of white foaminess leaving some thick foamy lacing clinging to the sides of both glasses

S: woo-ee this stuff is tart and sour, but I guess this is how its supposed to be, well, I do get some lemon/cherries/raspberry/orange

T: tart and sour once again through the previously mentioned flavors

M: light to medium, tries to display some sort of sessionability, but still there's an element of a fuller quality, carbonation hits me a bit harder than some other lambics but from what I've read and my lack of knowledge in this style - I guess that's ok

O: honestly, I think I'm only doing this so I can put a foot forward into this style. Its nice to step out of one's element every now and again, but I think I'll go back to what I know when it comes to beer if this is how this style is supposed to be.

02-08-2014 00:06:13 | More by BeerKangaroo
titty_mcbitty

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Orange golden color. Very fizzy head (I can hear the beer fizz as I pour into the glass).

S: Grapes, lemon, bit of raspberry, orange rinds, and spice.

T: Grapes, big lemon citrus taste, orange rinds, vinegar, some kind of soapy seedy taste, bready malts on the back end. It has sort of a champagne-like character to it.

M: Pretty light, but expected. This one's got a sharpness to it, if that's the right word. It hits you with that nice carb that goes well with the flavors.

O: Not a bad brew, but I expected more of a complex profile. It would've been nicer for the flavors to be more prominent and for the mouth to be a bit more heavy (just a tiny bit), but I like the light carby feel.

02-01-2014 03:04:20 | More by titty_mcbitty
ISmith87

Arizona

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - 4.25 - Nice orange amber color that's slightly hazy with a thick white 1/2 finger head that leaves lumpy lacing.
S - 4.25 - sour grapes, lemon juice, lime juice, fresh sour berries, sour patch kids, it's pretty awesomely sour.
T - 4.25 - sour grapes, lemons, limes, bready malt in the background.
M - 4.25 - light-medium. Alc covered. Aftertaste is bready malts and tart.
O - 4.25 - Great beer. I think I like the framboise best.

01-26-2014 21:54:02 | More by ISmith87
jdb288

3.69/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle. Pours bubbly gold with thick white head. Smell is funk, lemon, yeast. Taste is sour/tart lemon, lime, dough. Champagne bubbles...cleans the palate. Goes down smooth. Quite refreshing. One of my first introductions to the style and I will definitely be back for more.

01-17-2014 18:42:01 | More by jdb288
PorterLambic

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a light tangerine color with a distinct cloudiness and some sediment collecting at the bottom of the glass. A white head, well developed but receding quickly, leaves a whipped foam kind of ring and some scattered film. No lace.
Smell is a nice mixture of funk, yeast, malt, light fruit, and freshly cut wood. Well balanced and very enticing.
Taste is seriously tart with notes of malt, fresh wood, yeast, some pear and apple. A fine balance.
Very effervescent, tangy, acidic to some extent. Reminiscent of a champagne to my palate. Dry from the pour until long after the swallow is done. A 750 solo may not have been my best idea but it's something I'll just have to do.

01-16-2014 02:40:43 | More by PorterLambic
kojevergas

3.44/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml green glass (ugh) bottle with gold foil-ed over branded copper colour pry-off pressure cap (which is itself sealed over an internally housed cork) acquired at a local CO bottle shop and served into a La Chouffe stem-tulip in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current ratings. Reviewed as a gueuze lambic because the label clearly identifies it as such.

Bottled: 22 Mei 2013.

Served cold, straight from the fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a four finger wide head of white colour. Decent thickness. Not too creamy, but pretty fluffy. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is good - about 4-5 minutes.

Body colour is a clear translucent copper of above average vibrance. Appears well-carbonated. No floating yeast particles or sediment is visible.

Overall, it's a pretty standard appearance for a gueuze. I'm looking forward to trying it, but it isn't unique or special.

Sm: Faint berries. Maybe raspberry? Crystal malt. Fantastic lambicus yeast character bursting with sourness without coming off puckering. Not as bacterial as many other sours; it isn't loaded with straight lactobacillus; the sourness has a purpose and a defined character. Clean barley. Belgian pale malts. Golden malts. Light hints of flaked wheat. Maybe some lychee. Sourness doesn't seem too high; I doubt this will induce puckering. Hopping is floral. Apple cidre vinegar.

No alcohol is detectable. A pleasant, inviting, alive aroma of average strength. There's obvious acidity.

T: Sour green apple/apple cidre vinegar. Lovely lambicus yeast-induced sourness. Not so sour as to pucker, but enough to please fans of the style. Belgian pale and golden malts provide the unobtrusive, admittedly simple base. Pleasantly acidic. Some lighter notes of wet hay and clean barley do make an appearance. I don't get much in terms of bacterial character, but there is some light restrained funkiness, which gets buried underneath the sourness. It does have a nice lactic quality. I've never really craved funkiness in a sour beer anyway. The hops get buried beneath the lambic sourness (to style).

Balanced, if admittedly simple and straightforward for a lambic. It's a bit sweeter than I'd expect for a gueuze; maybe they used too much young lambic in the blend? I'd like more sourness; it's not intense to style. Cohesive, and almost gestalt but not quite. The lambicus yeast certainly guides the flavour profile, and rightfully so. It's a bit tart; I'd like more of that. Average depth and duration of flavour for the style. Below average intensity of flavour. Nice complexity and subtlety, but there's lots of room for improvement. Not a nuanced or intricate gueuze. I'm a bit disappointed, but it's pleasant enough.

No alcohol or hop character comes through. No spice. No off flavours.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with slight coarseness to coax out more flavour. Perfect carbonation; bottle conditioning has done it well. Refreshing and approachable. Not as acidic as would be ideal. Has a nice smacky feel. Great presence on the palate; it's very welcoming, soft, and comforting.

Not oily, harsh, astringent, gushed, hot, boozy, or rough.

Dr: Satisfying for what's probably the most widely available gueuze, but the discerning drinker will find this rather tame for the style. Sour intensity is quite low. I'm a bit alarmed by its current high ratings; maybe this has been better in the past or varies by bottle. Certainly a gueuze varies by batch. In any case, it's a very drinkable gueuze that any sour-lover could easily kill a bottle of. I might get it again if I'm craving a sour and this is the only decent offering at a bottle shop/bar. Might be interesting aged.

B-

12-22-2013 01:28:14 | More by kojevergas
abeeronthebeach

Washington

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12floz on 19 Oct 2013, bottled: 06 Juli 2012.

A - Hazy golden orange perforated by a swarm of little specks of yeast. Nice bubbly lacing hangs out topside.

S - An inviting tanginess greets the nose, flanked by a layed-back funkiness. Sweet white grapes are present as well as hints of sour apricot. One is left in no doubts about the acidity which is to come.

T - My first experience of this style and I definitely like it. The closest thing I've ever had to this is Petrus Aged Ale. Tastes follows the nose hear; grapes kick the door down. Champagne, stale yeast, citric acid.

M - Tastes fuzzy rather than bubbly.

O - Sour beers really do it for me, so I liked this beer quite a lot, almost by default. Having said that, I felt like as an experience it fell a bit flat; both in terms of looking for a more complex tasting experience as well as a more lively and satisfying mouthfeel. Expected a slightly higher quality brew such as that of the aforementioned Petrus. I can imagine having a gueuze which will really knock my socks off though. Bring on the Cantillon/3F!

10-20-2013 06:30:48 | More by abeeronthebeach
coriswrasse

4.66/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

very musky sour. excellent carbonation. bottled 11 months prior to tasting. light color, clear until you get to the bottom of the bottle pour then cloudy. slighty sour from front to back but not intensely tart like some other sours. for the price a excellent beer. mild hints of apple and grass. will be buying a few more and cellaring to see what a few more years does.

10-17-2013 00:23:16 | More by coriswrasse
polloenfuego

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 375 ml bottle into a snifter.

A: Hazy gold with a nice tight bubbled three finger head that breaks down slowly.

S: sour or tart with some grassyness and funk to it as well.

T: A pleasant tartness, white wine vinegar, the grassyness and funk found in the nose also come through as well.

M: crisp and refreshing, almost dry. The carbonation is fine and enjoyable, champagne like.

O: really quite an enjoyable beer. My first experience with the type and I want more. I find the tartness and funkyness to be so very different than what I am used to drinking. It is a great and exciting change of pace that I will seek out in the future.

10-13-2013 21:02:47 | More by polloenfuego
MetricOcean

4.61/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A warm sourness permeates throughout your mouth. Slight yeast flavor, but the tartness overcomes. Oily like butter. Very sharp and almost musty. The flavor of this thing pops, I mean just POPS. Amazing. Tastes like: fresh leather, sour apricot, non salted popcorn. 92/100

10-05-2013 00:50:49 | More by MetricOcean
gcamparone

Rhode Island

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a La Trappe goblet.

A- Pours a hazy, golden body with a gushing white head. Some settling, so pour it slowly.

S- Smells very tart with sour apples and citrus aromas, yeast, belgian funk, grassy.

T- This is quite impressive! The first thing that hits the tongue is a tart, borderline sour note that is reminiscent of lemon juice, white wine vinegar, and grapefruit. Next up is barnyard funk and yeast, and the finish is tart like citrus zest and fruit skins.

M- Light-ish, high carbonation and pretty effervescent. Crisp and refreshing.

Who would have known that Lindemans made such a great Gueze. Pick it up if you're getting into this style of beer, as this is an EXCELLENT representation of the style.

09-27-2013 03:38:03 | More by gcamparone
FrostBlast

Quebec (Canada)

4.56/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

375mL bottle

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

APPEARANCE : Beautiful blond colour with lively champagne-like carbonation rising to form a slightly off-white head which starts off huge, almost gusher-like, and then calms and drops back to almost nothing. Almost no lacing to speak of.

SMELL : First nose has some citrus, but mostly barnyard funk, yeasts and some hay. Slight metallic tinge. Second nose opens a rich woody aroma. Third nose calms down the citrus and funks and definitely brings out the yeast profile. Beautiful.

TASTE : Acidity is present, but backed up by a real freshness. Citrus and herbs are also present, but not so much as the nose seemed to announce. The wood that was present on the nose almost completely disappears once in the mouth.

MOUTHFEEL : Great carbonation, fine bubbles, more ample than champagne. You get the kind of earthy/dusty feeling so typical of the barnyard funk.

OVERALL : One of the best balanced gueuze I've had the pleasure of drinking. I'm aging a few of I have left, see what happens with this big boy in a few years' time. I'll probably chuck out another review.

09-25-2013 18:35:33 | More by FrostBlast
DrDemento456

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottled April of 2013 so it's quite new for a Gueuze

A - Pours a dirty brown color with just a 1/4 inch of head that quickly faded to nothing but a ring.
S - White wine vinegar, Tart/sour apple, some grains and fruity yeasts. Even has a bit of muskiness,
T - Intense sour lemon and vinegar. at first then quickly to mild sweetness from the grains, some mild oak and grass. Taste like granny smith apple cider in a while. Not real hops but man is this beer sour!
M - Light to medium in body, intense sour with mild apple and oak finish.

Overall this is my first Gueuze and I don't think I will be "addicted" to sours considering the hefty 8 dollar admission. But it was overall a great experience.

09-24-2013 04:15:55 | More by DrDemento456