Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.87/5  rDev +19.4%

2.55/5  rDev -37.5%

I had this on the advice of some members of the BA community. The scenario was that I was going to eat oysters and started a thread on what people thought a good pairing was. Gueuze was a popular response . Not knowing the style, I was excited to try. I have mixed feelings.
It poured a nice golden color that was pleasing to the eye, no problem there. However, the aroma was quite a turn off! I don't know how else to put it, but it smelled like urine. The taste started out salty and sour. It reminded me of the one Gose I have tried, which I didn't like. However, as I began eating the oysters, the taste settled somewhat and became more fruity. I had this throughout the rest of the meal and felt the feel is drinkable enough when accompanied with food. I would not drink this alone anytime soon.
What else can I say about this? I wanted to like it and was disappointed. Perhaps it is too radical a departure from the type of beer I'm used to and I just need to develop a taste for it over time. Perhaps it is just not my style. W'ell see.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Guessed

A- pours a cloudy pale golden color with a small foamy white head that reduces to a film on top that retains nicely

S- barnyard funk, dried hay, sugar coated lemon peel, funky yeast,

T- barnyard with notes of wet hay up front, the big sour notes kick in mid-palate with lemon peel and Belgian sugar, bone dry wheat finish with a linger of lemon

M- medium body with low carbonation leads to a slight foamy mouthfeel and a tart, bone dry finish

O- easy drinking with just enough puckering sourness

2.54/5  rDev -37.7%

Pungent, bitter, not the best from Lindemans, which I normally love

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottles served in a small wine glass. Fresh served slightly above cellar temps.

Appearance: really cloudy pale yellow, nice Belgian lace

Nose: apricots, sour funk, wet blanket, dank, lightly skunky (in a good way)

Taste: creamy, apricots, sour and funky, tart cherries

Sour #3 of the day and probably the best of all. I'm really liking the funky stuff lately.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.62/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The nose on this beet is insane. I wish my wife would wear this as a perfume. I don't the she wants a slight scent of horse blanket, but it would do it for me.

4.65/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

3.76/5  rDev -7.8%

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz. bottle (355 ml) with coded bottled on date LI27MGC printed on the label. My second encounter with a geuze lambic, but my first from Belgium. I haven't had much from Lindemans in the past, but I'm excited to try it.

Poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip glass.

A - It pours a bright golden orange body with a slight chill haze, and some yeast chunks at the bottom of the glass. Three big fluffy fingers of fizzy white head. Looks delicious.

S - A mouthwatering aroma full of yeast funk, grass, mustiness, and fermented sour apples / cider. Smells sour, fruity, and champagne like.

T - Sour and tart. Fermented apples / cider, earthy / bacterial yeast funk, some malty wheat / grass / grain presence, and a fruity grapey lightly vinous champagne-esque finish. Very delicious.

M - The feel is crisp, fruity, yeasty, earthy, and clean. Light-bodied, easy drinking, and delicious.

Overall, a nice introduction to the style for me. I am a big fan of lambics and this definitely has me interested to seek out more blends. Very recommended.

Lindemans Oude Geuze Cuvée René -----4/5.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%