Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Reviews: 829 | Hads: 1,871
3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

By far one of the most interesting beers I've ever had in my life. It wasn't really better or worse than anything I've had...just interesting. I was told by my roommate that Gueuze is also called Belgian Champagne. I agree, there was definatly a similar taste between the two. I noted a very cidery, vinigarish scent. Almost no hop bitterness as a result of aged hops being used. I would drink it again, however I had difficulty drinking the entire 750mL bottle. The only issue I had was I thought it was a crown cap, and it is, but underneath the crown is a cork. I didn't have a corkscrew on me, so I had to wait to actually have to drink the beer. Also, it seemed slightly overcarbonated. I'm not sure if thats the style but by compairson to other ales I was drinking, it seemed excessive. I would repeat drinking this once in a great while, however it did peak my interest in trying other types of Gueuze. (909 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

MY 500th Review. I was so excited I picked out a special beer of a style I was highly anticipating and never had before. It was not a cheep beer and I have been very pleased with my experiences with Lindemans previously, so had high expectations. Unfortunately, this was not the divine experience I was imagining. It was very intense and intimidating to start. Half way through the 750 ml bottle I started to change my tune. It is a beer that did eventually grow on me but I am not sure it is a style I have acquired the taste for yet. Here is the break down:

Presentation: Corked caped and wrapped in foil this 750 ML bottle is impenetrable. When I pulled the cork it pop like a champagne bottle. The bottle indicates it was bottled in 05. Now drank in 06.

Appearance: Starts off looking fantastic. Pours a hazy light golden color with a huge head that had great retention in my flute glass. Every pour that wasn't careful enough ended with the big head running over my glass. There is massive carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. The lacing is impressive. Huge sticky rings of foamy lacing are pasted to the glass all the way around.

Smell: The aroma is big and pleasant. It is boldly tart but with a balancing sweet yeast character. The aroma is highly acidic with a Monk's Flemish Sour Red Ale meets a Saison type of aroma. Certainly it is new and unique to me the vinegar and green apple lemon grass aroma may be typical in the style, if you are more familiar with it than I.

Taste: This beer is pucker-forcing tart with a sour vinegar attribute and a balancing dry malt. It has some of the crazy funny bitey yeast flavors of a wild ale or a Saison but is more intensely tart like drinking lemon juice. For the first hour I was drinking this beer I got noting but tart. Whether it was the warming of the beer or my palate adjusting, it did eventually reveal some additional depth with some unique yeast funky cherry and grape and bitey spicy farmhouse, woodiness and dry bread flavors (I think there was a hint of blue cheese am I crazy? maybe it is that mold snappy flavor)

Mouthfeel: Extremely crisp and almost forcefully aggressive in the mouth with intense dryness, still mostly refreshing.

Drinkability: Unfortunately, for me, this beer drank a bit like vinegar. A little bit in this or that is great but I don't want to drink much straight. It was just to acidic for me. It actually felt like a very challenging chore to get through the bottle. Somewhere along the line I got a headache, was it the sour or the thinking so hard about it. I think a 6 or 8 oz serving would have been ideal except that I wouldn't have adjusted to the flavor yet. 750 ML was far too much.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (2,747 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

The Cuvée René was picked up in a 750 ml. green bomber, with gold neck foil, and a crown cap, which when popped was underlain by a cork. After opening, the Gueuze Lambic was poured into a flute glass, where it looked deep golden, with a two finger head fed by Champagne like constant carbonation. Taking a whiff yielded a smell with a mixture of sweet and sour elements, but little of the farmhouse smells like leather or sweat found in other Gueuze Lambics. I could also detect a marigold like floral hop presence. The sip confirmed what the nose had revealed. This was quite mild for an unflavored Lambic. There was a lot of sourness of course, but it was a clean and crisp sourness like a lemon juice poured into a regular beer. Not a lot of funkiness in this one at all. The beer was crisp and light in the mouth, and was very easy to gobble down. Drier than the lunar seas, this would be a good introduction into unblended Lambics for an uninitiated drinker, but if you are looking for a ton of flavors go for something else (e.g., Cantillon) instead. (1,058 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

750 mL corked-n-capped, green champagne bottle with '05 notched on the label. It pours a mildly-hazy bright orange with medium carbonation and a 1" off-white head that reduces to almost nothing by the end. The aroma is acidic and lightly sweet with lemon, a mild earthy/musty character, and some phenols that are a tad fruity. It is light to medium on the palate with an equal finish, and it is lightly drying with a taste that is tart, bitter, sour, and acidic, with lemon juice and phenols. It almost has more mouth-puckering sensation than flavor. It's a bit difficult to drink if you're not in the mood as it is quite sour and bitter, but as far as gueuze goes, it's not too bad. (683 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

I found this bottle hidden away in a liquor store that doesn't normally sell beer like this. $6.99 for a bottle printed 1994, with 1998 written in marker.

Pours a golden yellow color, fairly clear, with a reluctant skim of white bubbles on top.

Aroma is not all that funky, mostly just sour, a bit of urine and some chinese food.

Very tart flavor, sour. A hint of sweeteness, faintly malty, steps in to balance things up, but this beer remains dry in the finish. Unlike Rose de Gambrinus, I found this beer quite drinkable -- its tartness was not so unyeilding. This beer is light-bodied and actually fairly refreshing. A good beer to celebrate moving into a new place. (679 characters)

Pours pale orange with a slight haziness. Large foamy head, champagne like that dissipates into a thin head. Lots of lacing. Smells of sour fruits, effervescence. Taste follows with an interesting blend of sour fruits, basically tastes a bit like rotting citrus without the stench of rot :). I haven't had a gueuze yet, but I assume this is what they are supposed to taste like. Gives an ancient type of feel, yet is elegant as well. (433 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Clear copper with plenty of carbonation. Head is nice, frothy with big watery lacings.

Classic lambic aroma; musty oak, champagne, floral/herb bouquet.

Bittersweet tartness mixes with musty oak, wet hay and other earthy notes. Some citrus and fruit presence with a very dry aftertaste.

Well carbonated, good moutfeel.

Excellent representation of the style, while I prefer the fruitier lambic. (405 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Presentation: 750mL bottle, poured into a white wine glass.

Appearance: A dark gold with a slight haze. Effervescent and a nice, big head that lasted for several minutes.

Aroma: Tart, sour apples, citrus... grapefruit and lemon, barnyard/horse blanket brett aroma. Very pleasant, indeed.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very tart at first, with flavors of apples and grapefruit. It mellows out while the horse blanket makes its appearance. Tart, dry, flavorful and very refreshing.

Notes: I love this beer. It is so flavorful and so refreshing. I will always have this or others like it on hand at all times. (609 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Served from a 750ml bottle in a Duvel tulip at just below cellar temperature.

A - Glowing orange color with rusty hints. Head is four fingers to start, settling down to a marshmallowy pillow that never reveals the beer beneath. Beautiful!

S - Normal turned apple-cider sour notes, almost over the edge. Funky sweetness laced with honey and wildflowers. Crisp and refreshing.

T - The first thing in the mouth is not so much taste, but rather sensation (see below). Immediately after, the burst of sourness is mildly jarring, with wisps of apple cider vinegar. In the middle, a honeyed sweetness comes through as an excellent counterpoint and subsequent balance. The finish is mildly acetic and drying.

M - The inital mouthfeel note is the squeeze of your salivary glands, coming before your brain actually receives and processes the sourness. Carbonation is lively, but not overly active - which is good. Swallow is crisp and refreshing.

D - This is definitely a go-to gueuze. It's solid across the board, and easy to drink if you're ready to drink a brew of this style. (1,084 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

Rich golden hued beer with plenty of suspended yeast. An insane frothy head that just won't quit tops the beer.

Complex aromas emanate, including lemon, grapefruit, barn, old hay, and vinegar.

Fantastic sour flavors dominate the palate. Just a touch of sweetness in this exceedingly dry beer. Complex and very nice, leaves a lingering sourness.

Full bodied and extraordinarily refreshing. A fantastic beer for the summer. (430 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%

750ml green, champagne bottle poured into a snifter.

1994 Vintage.

Murky golden with shades of oak. Inch-high, off-white foam that settles to the snifter's sides, leaving a quarter inch, porous sheet. Trails of thin lace cling randomly to the sides.

Bright acidic-smelling, alcohol soaked sour cherry. Light hints of orange, green apple, and currant. A generous oak-laden mustiness and an added touch of cedar. Notes of pepper/corriander, and cream sherry.

Oak and spruce initially that soon act as a stiff, yet warming background to a bright, full cherry and apple tartness. Although the sour quality is full and wonderfully pleasant, its acidity is not bitingly overwhelming nor long lasting. A mellow touch of carbonation precedes notes of clove and pepper. Ripe fruit smoked in oak linger in the aftertaste.

Light in body; very mellow and smooth. Well aged to say the least. The carbonation is at a minimum; perfectly drawing from a typical, younger Gueze's acidity.

What else can I say? A beautifully crafted ale, aged to near perfection stylistically. What a wonderful introduction to Browerij Lindemans. I'm curious to try a more recent vintage to compare. (1,181 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

'03 Champagne bottle shared with my girlfriend and poured into a Lindeman's Flute, stolen from Winking Lizard Columbus. *jk feds*

Superbly clear golden body with a creamy white head that leaves tons of lacing down the glass as it settles. Some carbonation bubbles cling to the side of the glass, some randomly shoot to the surface.

I can smell this one a few feet away. Raspberries, cherries and some tart grapes with a little earthy funkiness. Very pleasant aroma overall.

Very tart initially with some metallic background notes. Raspberries and cherries come through as it warms and finishes with a white-grape aftertaste. Not bad.

Very thin and high in carbonation. That's about all there is to it. Pretty easy drinking despite the carbonation and the funkiness. I enjoyed it but likely not something i'll seek out in the future. (844 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured a rich golden orange with a mighty white foamy head.

The aroma was that of tart yeast and that distinc lambic mustiness. Subdued floral hops were present in the background.

The beer had a very sharp bite and was very sour. The carbonation added to this citric acid intensity which finished with a minerally bicarbonate taste.

Ok, I'm ending this review before this beer makes me sick. This is not a pleasant Belgian sour ale, but hardly drinkable in my opinion. Imagine Red Bull without any sweetness - you're there. (532 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750mL bottle into a thin Lindemans pilsner.

clear golden orange with an inch of foamy, sticky head that retains well. tons of bubbles stuck to the sides and rising like champagne.

aroma is pretty weak. a hint of tartness, but dominated by a lemony, soapy-fresh aroma.

taste is better; assertively tart with some sour apple and lemon rinds. acidic, vinegary, slightly off-putting finish. lacking in character and complexity compared to some other gueuzes, with more of a straightforward tartness, but far better than Lindemans' other gueuze. (549 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +10.1%

Bottled in 2004. Served in a tall stange at just over fridge temperature.

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with a gorgeous, four+ finger head that settles slowly to a fat, supple crown. Good activity shooting from the bottom of my glass. Awesome lacing for a geueze... looks incredibly appetizing.

Smell- A fantastic, all-encompassing performance of sour cherries, horseblanket, and the funk that makes this an amazing representation of the style. As the beer opens up, aromas of fruit going "just over the edge" take over, introducing the sweetness of a neglected dumpster. I love it.

Taste- A salivary gland's wet dream... they pucker and contract, getting ready for the burst of sour fruit that is about to be unleashed. Deliciously farmy, as the sour cherry notes grasp the tongue and concede to the sweetness of the finish. The sourness left behind on the lips and teeth is awesome and, in itself, worth the sampling.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Cold, the mouthfeel is nothing short of amazing. The champagne-like bubbles pop and foam in the mouth and showcase the nuances of such a complex beer. As it comes to temperature, it becomes less carbonated and drinks more like a younger geueze, a few months from being drawn from the barrel. Overall, I loved this beer... it has an approachability that I find very attractive, and it drinks easily by itself or with light appetizers. (1,407 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Bottled in 2005

Pours out a clear apricot with a thin yet frothy head. Very little carbonation makes this look almost still. Some lacing here and there. Smell is of musty attics, oak, wheat, and citrus peel. I pick up a little spiciness along with an acidic tinge married with some faint sugars. Flavor is, at first, a fairly loud sour presence, which quickly backs down to a barely sweet middle. Tastes are of the typical musty old house accompanied by lime pith and tart, underripe fruit. I hoped for this to be a bit more balls-to-the-wall, but its subdued elegance is satisfying enough. Mouthfeel is light, slightly bubbly, and, overall, drying in the finish, but could be drier. Really refreshing and complex enough to be highly drinkable, but the faint residual sugars need to go and this needs to dry up. (814 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%

This is a tough beer to review for me. It's the first gueuze I've had so it's hard to judge how it compares against the style.

Of course, an extremely unique style of beer. I've had several lambics over the past year or so, and have grown to really enjoy the style. I was often curious to what a lambic would taste like without the fruit, so I finally dished out the $8 and picked up a 750 of the Cuvee Rene.

My personal preference is for bitter beers, which this is far from. I absolutely loved the tartness of this. A very dry beer with that taste like biting into a lemon. A champagne level of carbonation that doesn't go away. Even after letting it sit in my tulip for a while to warm up, I could swirl it around and create another head. It's hard to get many specific flavors out it because the tartness is so overpowering. Bacteria is a hell of a thing.

Not something I'd drink every day, but a beer I enjoyed enough to actively try more from the style. (968 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

Very interesting Geuze (should I say a Premium Geuze?) from a well-established brewery. Much more sour and tart than Lindemann's regular products but closer to original artisan Geuze and that makes it worth a try. Very dry aromatic brew with majestic crown and straight-between-the-eye taste. Pleasant - but I doubt it will become your everyday beer. (350 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Clear gold, topped with a giant puff of white foam. A solid, large bubbled coating remains, tons of lace dappled all over the goblet. Racing carbonation bubbles. Pleasantly funky, farmy aroma. Moderate tartness, with strong bleu cheese notes. Wet grass, green apple and aluminum. The flavor starts out with a fizzy explosion of carbonation, very airy and light feeling. Tartness, stronger than I'd anticipated from a Lindemann's brew, takes over the palate with a green apple flair. Funky, cheese, moldy notes in the finish, with freshly mown grass and receding fruity sourness. Some citrusy notes in the aftertaste, lemon/lime, finishing the beer off with a fresh, sparkling feel. Chalky and very dry. The acidity is a bit more restrained than say, a Cantillon, which makes for supreme drinkability. Really, really nice. (821 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

750 ml bottle with a bottling date of '05

Had to go two out of three falls in order to remove a very stubborn cork...but it was definitely worth the effort.

Pours a hazy yellow-gold with a quickly collapsing stark white collar of foam. Aroma is as musty as Grandma's cat-filled basement on a humid Michigan summer day. Some may say horse blanket, but in the words of Col. Sherman Potter, that's just "Horse Hockey". This is cat pee all the way...but in a good way.

Prepared for anything, I take my first sip. Entry shows perfect mouth caressing carbonation, quickly followed by funky wee beasties and soured crabapples.

The finish?

Funky

Yeastie

Sour

...and did I mention how dry it is?

I'm not sure what I expected, but this was a rare treat. Not as over the top as I imagined...but 750 ml goes pretty quickly even when savoring evey sip. (890 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter it forms a decent Ivory white head that falls to a thin coating. Light copper to golden in color.

whoa baby, this one is quite tart to say the least. Has some funk to it that most of us have come to love. Musky at times but the sweet tart presence washes away anything that comes in its path. Very crisp and finishes clean and a little on the dry side.

Notes: I liked it but it was just OK. (419 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a bright pale gold with a white fluffy head. Aroma is a mix of wet grass, honey and old shoes. Laces fairly well, not extensive but decent.

Taste is a lambic punch in the jaw: Quite citrusy sour, like lemon juice that's gone off. Pale toasty malt, fruity with the grainy flavor of chewable vitamin C tablets. While most of the flavors are sour, it ends with a slight bit of sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light and wispy, crisp, thin yet satisfying. Not a real complex gueuze, softer, pretty basic, very user-friendly. Not as musty as it should be, not even a lot of sediment in the bottle, but good nonetheless. (617 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

750 ml bottle. Very effervescent, almost champagne-like. Thin, persistent head with a creamy appearance. Right from the pour, smells sharp, almost astringent, but has notes of apricot. Mouthfeel is thinner than the fruit lambics, but creamier than, say, a pils. Taste is sharp at first, then mellows into a pleasant sour note on the back of the tongue. All in all, very enjoyable. Definitely a different experience than the sweet gueuze beers. (443 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

appearance: light orange color with nice foamy head that fades fast...lacing coats the tulip, a nice looking beer, with a thin film.

smell: sort of a mild tart lemonade smell, tart, with barnyard characteristics. mild.

taste: a pleasant tartness like sour lemonade, super tart "barnyard" flavors. i'm a bit more experienced with Flemish Reds, this is like that with no malt character, just letting that natural funk do it's thing. i love it, but a sip given to a person not expecting rejected it as horrible vinegar.(while loving the frambouse of course).

mouthfeel: so light on the tounge makes this beer a pleasure to drink, the carbination keeps things lively.

drinkability: a pefect light drinking summer beer, heck pair this with burgers and fries, or something like that. A lambic that is very sour and tart compared to even the funkiest saisons. a beer for all seasons (888 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Clear, brassy-gold in hue, the color is truly lovely! White head, at the apex the foam was two fingers tall. I am impressed at how fluffy the foam is plus it has damn good staying power too. In other words, head retention was good; it took many minutes before the head faded noticeably. A soapy cap lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was unorganized and not very widespread. From top to bottom this is an attractive beer!

The nose doesn’t jump out of the glass but the potency is still loud enough. I really like what it is saying. Bright tartness but retrained at the end, woody notes, apples, lemon, musty barnyard like the morning after a heavy dew. The bouquet is earthy but not in a “dark” way. I am impressed that the rustic vibe harbors warmth, I can’t think of two many Guezues that accomplish it. Granted, other Guezues are much more complex. No complaints with this one though, it says everything I want it to. Lovely. Inviting!

Holy hell! I’ve had enough Guezues to know what is coming on the palate but the nose lolled me to sleep. BAM! I was sucker-punched with a big, beefy blast of tartness! I love it! What I am a rookie? This beast is making me pucker! I love it! Jaded no longer? Tart apples and pears upfront, followed by lemon rinds, grass too, and some cork. The finish is acidic and briefly fruity sweet with hints of rhubarb. Very dry aftertaste, clean too… sharp but kind of empty for my tastes. I really like the palate but, IMO, it lacks a bit of complexity but the tartness and dry finish is no joke. Sadly, by my second glass I was use to the tartness and the lack of depth was more noticeable. I was ready to score this beer high but I can’t any long. At best, this is a very good Gueuze… not outstanding, just really good. There is nothing wrong with that. While Lindemans might brew some overly sweet beers this one is more traditional. I like it.

The mouthfeel is very ordinary but fitting for the style; medium/medium-light in body, lively, zippy carbonation… very refreshing.

I’ve had this 2002 edition since 2004 when I purchased it in Minneapolis, MN. Why did I wait to drink it? I wasn’t cellaring it. I just didn’t drink it. I guess I figured it wouldn’t be this good. Now I am happy I can buy more in Kansas City. I’d be happy to drink this again on a hot summer’s day or with a salad or with bleu cheese… or all by itself. Recommended! (2,423 characters)

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans