2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,408 | Reviews: 775 | Show All Ratings:
jdoolin

4.53/5  rDev +11%

Presentation: 750mL bottle, poured into a white wine glass.

Appearance: A dark gold with a slight haze. Effervescent and a nice, big head that lasted for several minutes.

Aroma: Tart, sour apples, citrus... grapefruit and lemon, barnyard/horse blanket brett aroma. Very pleasant, indeed.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very tart at first, with flavors of apples and grapefruit. It mellows out while the horse blanket makes its appearance. Tart, dry, flavorful and very refreshing.

Notes: I love this beer. It is so flavorful and so refreshing. I will always have this or others like it on hand at all times.

08-15-2006 22:44:04 | More by jdoolin
BobbyBeerman

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my second adventure in the lambic styles at the suggestion of my friend and mentor, Shawn the Beer Philosopher. He called this one truer to the lambic style than my first one. My first one made me think I was drinking champaign. So, let's get to it...

A: Golden yellow with a hint of orange, just a little cloudy, clearly visible carbonation trails, and a white head that fizzes down to almost nothing.

S: Of course there is some fruit nose here but it comes off as not sweet but more tart instead. There is a musty/funky note in there, too. Plus this one has a yeasty smell as well (something missing from the other lambic).

T: Taste pretty much follows suit.

M: Thin bodied, bubbly, sometimes a little harsh but over all a good experience.

D: I loved it. As my palette expands with more of this style my opinion may change. But this one made me think I was drinking a style of beer instead of champaign.

05-24-2009 03:35:04 | More by BobbyBeerman
gueuzer

Colorado

1.9/5  rDev -53.4%

Pouted from a 375 ml bottle

App- Nice hazy, straw, cider color. Small white head with lacing

Sm- Citric with a small amount of funk. A little barnyard and some farmer's daughter. Not bad

Ta- Overwhelming acidity that can only be described as gastric. Tasted like I was drinking acid reflux. Utterly disgusting. Not even sour, just acidic. Tried to cut through and tasted some lemon, oak and tannic flavors but it was near impossible. Their blender must be devoid of all cognitive and tasting abilities.

MF- Good amount of carbonation. Bit full bodied for the style, but not horrible.

Dr- Undrinkable due to the taste.

Bought this to introduce a buddy to the style and was completely disappointed. A complete insult to the style. Suppose I should have know better coming from Lindeman's, but some of the other reviews made me optimistic. Will never buy again.

08-30-2010 16:51:30 | More by gueuzer
ebin6

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

A - Long lasting head; thin, but persistent

S - Great nose. A lot of citrus and floral notes to it

T - Fairly one dimensional, although it does have a great puckering sour taste on the back end which is what I was looking for. But, again, it just didn't have much else going on

M - Quite good; hits all the right spots, though none spectacularly

D - Very drinkable, though not diverse enough to capture my palate's attention for a second bottle

06-07-2010 03:36:39 | More by ebin6
abeeronthebeach

Washington

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12floz on 19 Oct 2013, bottled: 06 Juli 2012.

A - Hazy golden orange perforated by a swarm of little specks of yeast. Nice bubbly lacing hangs out topside.

S - An inviting tanginess greets the nose, flanked by a layed-back funkiness. Sweet white grapes are present as well as hints of sour apricot. One is left in no doubts about the acidity which is to come.

T - My first experience of this style and I definitely like it. The closest thing I've ever had to this is Petrus Aged Ale. Tastes follows the nose hear; grapes kick the door down. Champagne, stale yeast, citric acid.

M - Tastes fuzzy rather than bubbly.

O - Sour beers really do it for me, so I liked this beer quite a lot, almost by default. Having said that, I felt like as an experience it fell a bit flat; both in terms of looking for a more complex tasting experience as well as a more lively and satisfying mouthfeel. Expected a slightly higher quality brew such as that of the aforementioned Petrus. I can imagine having a gueuze which will really knock my socks off though. Bring on the Cantillon/3F!

10-20-2013 06:30:48 | More by abeeronthebeach
adrock7309

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into a bells tulip glass - had to wait for some of the head to settle before i could pour the whole bottle in.

Tons of light yellowish white head. Tried to keep most of the yeast in the bottle.

First sip puckered my lips. This is my first experimenting with sours and wow - didnt know what to expect. Tons of great zing and zip of lemony acrid tartness. Nice light crisp malt present and just a hint of belgy yeast.

Smell was great and pleasant.

Mouthfeel was full enough. Had to take many small sips.

I have realized that I may not be ready to delve into the world of sours. Not really my cup of beer.

11-03-2010 13:12:39 | More by adrock7309
DrewShal9

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

A: honey/golden color with thin white head that dissolves quickly
S: sour, apples, sour lemon, hay, earth
T: funky and vinegary. Initially my first full reminded me of acidic vomit but then as I continued to drink the geuze, I tasted sour cherries and green apple. Funky and different. My first geuze.
M: very bubbly and effervescent. Almost like champagne but not as drying.
O: definitely interested in trying other geuzes now. I don't think I have a strong palate for the flavors yet I well definitely develop one!

08-07-2011 00:26:57 | More by DrewShal9
Beelzebeer

Newfoundland (Canada)

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

bottle, served in oversized tulip

A - semi-cloudy apple juice colour with thin, bubbly head that quickly dissipates.

S - Hops, bitter, some vinegar, apple, pear

T - Some wheat, apple, barn, hay. Sour at the end, knocking everything else out. Tart.

M - Medium-high carbonation off the top, giving way to a medium density.

O - This is my second time having a gueuze. The first was the same brew about 3 years ago. I thought it was too much then, now it's delicious. Easy move from oud bruin and flanders red to this. Delicious.

03-16-2013 01:17:07 | More by Beelzebeer
Keith238

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

750ml green bottle with natural cork. Bottled 02OCT07, marked best by 31DEC13.

A=Golden colored with a slight haze when poured into a snifter. Little to no head or lacing.

S= Fruity and tart aroma.

T= Apricot and lemon combine for a clean tart flavor.

M/D= Clean and crisp, I could drink this all night.

My first Gueuze and I'll be looking for others.

01-26-2009 03:17:24 | More by Keith238
tim9887

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A really wonderful ale. Poured from the bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Pours golden-orange, hazed, lots of fluffy white head. A good bit of funk and fruity character in the aroma. Pretty tart (sour!) and funky, with citrus-like acidic quality. Really good stuff, I love it. Really makes you pucker up. I'd get this one again without a doubt.

07-05-2010 21:25:09 | More by tim9887
GregoryVII

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

[Side Note] I substituted this beer for Cantillon Gueuze in the salad dressing in the "Roasted Cauliflower Salad" recipe in the latest issue of Beer Advocate and decided to pair the rest of this beer with the salad. It was delicious on all accounts.

Poured this beer down the center of a mini tulip glass and came out with a huge, billowy white head that simply exploded into the glass. As it descended the lacing clung to and painted every inch it touched. It was a bright gold color, very attractive, with lively streams of bubbles.

In the aroma there was sour-vinegar, light fruitiness, musk, lemon-orange-citrus zing, damp and fields. There is nothing like a good Belgian beer when it comes to aroma.

The first sip is tart, sharp and acidic, almost like biting into a lemon. There is just enough sweet here to balance into a very refreshing experience, however. It is an exuberant expression balanced by some earthy notes. The body is light, but the carbonation makes it feel twice its size.

07-12-2010 21:00:40 | More by GregoryVII
icemonkey908

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

served from the corked 750ml bottle. This beer is very carbonated. Pours into the glass and a large head immediately forms. The head is maintained and produces a lot of lacing in the glass. The smell of this beer is very tart and so is the taste. I assume this profile is typical among lambics, but this is my first one so I don't have a comparison. This is a good beer, I am just not quite accustomed to the lambic profile.

05-03-2007 00:06:55 | More by icemonkey908
slentz

3.55/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very nice bottle. Gold colored foil wrapper on the top. A bottle from the future. Bottled date reads Nov 23, 2012. Cap and cork, awesome. Very light pop when pulling the cork. Poured at 50 degrees into my Allagash tulip glass.

A: Pours light pale golden hue with 2 finger head that dissipates fairly quickly to a thin ring of tight bubbles. No lacing on the glass nice carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass.

S: Smells a little musty with banana, lemon, and orange notes. This one doesn't have an awfully strong aroma. Definitely reminds me of the smell of champagne.

T: Nice sharp slightly sour and tart taste. Goes down fairly easily. Tastes of lemon and orange come out as detected in the aroma. Very little alcohol detected. Definitely a good beer for the warmer weather.

M: Carbonation is prickly on the tongue which makes it nice and light. Slightly oily consistency.

O: Good but not tart or sour enough to my liking. This is my first Gueuze so I am not sure if they are regularly more tart/sour or not. Overall a very nice beer and I'm glad I got to try this. I think I would pick this up again once or twice a year.

06-05-2011 00:46:07 | More by slentz
tkarsies

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Purchased for 8.99 at Grapes of Mirth in Columbus, Ohio. Served slightly chilled in a wine glass from a 750 mL caged corked bottle. This was our beer replacement for Champagne for New Year’s Eve.
Appearance was clear golden color with lots of tiny bubbles. Began with a small white head that left some lacing.
This is one interesting smelling beer. There is a musty smell that is more pronounced than I have noticed in other Gueze beers. There are also fruity, sour smells as well. I love the smells here.
On first sipping this, all I noticed was SOUR. Once I got by the initial blast of sourness, there were the musty, fruity, funky flavors I was expecting from this beer. Ends with more sourness.
This had a nice carbonated mouthfeel. It was a good substitute for Champagne. Dry at the end.
Overall this is a great example of Gueze. It is so much better than the more commercial fruit lambics from Lindemans. I don’t think I could drink this very often and definitely needed others to help me finish, but for the style it is very drinkable. It was enjoyed by several who only rarely drink anything other than BMC. I continue to be amazed at the flavors and smells produced in this beer style and will seek out this and other examples as I get the chance.

01-01-2007 21:20:09 | More by tkarsies
Krevee

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Pours a beautiful dark golden color that glows in the light with a lot of head that is quick to dissipate to about a half an inch, with very good retention.

S- Sweet citrusy aroma. Has a sort of sour apple/orange citrus smell. The sour being the strongest of the aromas the others are very light somewhat harder to distinguish.

T - The initial taste is similar to the smell, sour apple/orange with a sour finish. The initial taste is sweet with a nice tart finish.

M - Very light mouth-feel with higher amounts of carbonation. Also has a dry champagne like finish.

D - Good drink-ability, not something I would have several of in a night but a great beer to have one or two of in an evening.

04-07-2010 07:25:06 | More by Krevee
fragilehearted

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Bottle, capped & corked. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - 2 finger head, goes down fairly quickly to cover+ring. Hazy golden color.

S - wow - never really realized what "barnyard funk" truly could be till this. I literally think I may inhale some hay. You also get some of the candied sweet smell/tart that is typical with Lindemans. Lemon/citrus. Pretty unique.

T - puckering funky tartness! It definitely smells sweeter than it tastes. Acidic aftertaste, which I'm not a huge fan of.

M - pretty dry. Light-bodied. Carbonation is fine. Can't really taste any alcohol.

O/D - this is my first gueuze review (& I've only had a couple of them before), & I'd have to say it's drinkable, but you have to like sours. Lots of people say that this is a good intro to sours. I might recommend something else, I guess it depends on what you typically like. Maybe this one if you're a Saison fan. But overall, it's a bit too sour to be too drinkable...one is enough.

06-25-2011 06:54:06 | More by fragilehearted
HabiMendes

Rhode Island

4.69/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

We have a golden, hazy beer, with a creamy, white neck. The aroma and taste bring oranges and grapefruit, with a touch of pepper, other floral and fruit (pear) esters, and expressive "barnyard" notes caused by wild yeast. The tartness is vibrant, present in the aroma, and dominant in the palate. The body is light, and its acidity balances so well with the fruitness and structure of this beer. The Gueuzes are refreshing and wonderful Belgian beers that amaze me in each experience. The Cuvée Rene is simply fantastic.

04-29-2013 02:54:18 | More by HabiMendes
Tiklmelmo

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

350ml bottle poured into a 9oz tulip.

A - Slightly dark golden color with a big fluffy white head. Rather bubbly. Slight bit of haze.

S - Big nose of bananas hits me first. As I put my nose closer, there's bits of lemon and some barnyard / horse blanket.

T - Tart, and slightly more sour than I was expecting from a Lindemans, but well balanced acidity overall. Not a huge amount of depth. Mostly lemon zest, sour apple, and slight funk, with a bit of a nutty after-taste.

M - Dry and sparkling, almost champagne-like.

D - Nicely balanced, crisp and refreshing. While there's not as much going on as some others, this is a very drinkable geuze.

01-09-2010 02:24:16 | More by Tiklmelmo
Airyk12

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a hazy golden copper with a finger of foamy white head. Leaves a good web of lacing down the glass.

Smells tart, with some fruit and spice, with a strong musty, horse blanket smell.

Tart, but not too strong. Some fruit, spice, and again, a little musty. Very strange.

Light body and some carbonation. Goes down pretty smooth.

A good beer. Has that pure, farmhouse style flavor. Complex, yet approachable for newbies to the world of sours. Low alcohol makes it quite sessionable.

06-03-2011 22:11:49 | More by Airyk12
nppeders

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

says it's bottled August 13th 2012. Not really sure what this could mean. I guess it's best by that date?

appearance - orange with a little haze. White frothy head.

smell - earthy, funky, tart, bretty. Citrus

taste - green apple and citrus like lemon rinds dominate the flavor. A bit sweet malt in the middle balanced with some oak, not as acidic as expected and actually finishes mouth watering.

mouthfeel - thin mouthfeel with low carbonation. Could use a few extra months in the bottle as is suggested by the bottle itself.

overall - I love the apple and citrus notes. I bought this at my local liquor store and it was only $7.99. I think that this is an amazing value for this beer. It's balanced, and tart, and mouthwateringly delicious. I'm probably going to pick up a bunch more of this. Great entry level sour.

03-04-2012 02:21:14 | More by nppeders
fairdinkum2

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

This is different. My first Gueuze.

First impression as it poured in to a tulip glass was very favorable, golden, slightly hazy beer with a thin golden head. The head disappeared quickly with virtually no collar or lacing.

Strong, but not entirely pleasant nose. Really like a lime coolaid, so mostly an artificial smell. Didn't detect the funky horse blanket that others have.

Taste is OK, nothing I would spend much time searching for again. The mouthfeel is OK and the beer is well balanced, but the overall impression is again of artificial lime flavors.

02-03-2010 01:47:44 | More by fairdinkum2
drewd0g

750 for only ~$10

the appearance is light orange, straw yellow color. smells sour and like grapes. taste is tart and sweet...tastes like grapes and sour fruit... . the carbonation is lively and it cuts across your tongue. pretty thin body, appropriate for the style. pretty high drinkability, i like the beer. good stuff.

12-30-2010 03:07:44 | More by drewd0g
jefferz5000

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Sharing this 750ml bottle with my brother, Chris. Sharing is caring. Label says this bottle is from 02 Okt 2007.

Pours a clear as day copper gold with a fizzy white head that quickly disappears, completely. Once settled, there is little to no movement.

Aroma immediately starts off with strong sour notes, barn floors, farm dirt and slapping horse tails. The more I pull this into my nostrils, the more I feel like a fly, buzzing around a pile of equine hair laced manure. It feels right.

Taste follows the nose, but is even more sour, and slightly less poopy. I'm digging it. While it's quite sour, it's not overwhelming. I want to keep quenching my thirst with it.

Prickling my tongue, René is well carbonated. It would appear to be much more calm than it is when consumed. Not overly fizzy, though, which is good.

This, I believe, was the first Gueuze I ever tasted, when I discovered the style, and I'm happy to be enjoying it again now, for the second or third time.

03-19-2011 02:51:00 | More by jefferz5000
FrostBlast

Quebec (Canada)

4.56/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

375mL bottle

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

APPEARANCE : Beautiful blond colour with lively champagne-like carbonation rising to form a slightly off-white head which starts off huge, almost gusher-like, and then calms and drops back to almost nothing. Almost no lacing to speak of.

SMELL : First nose has some citrus, but mostly barnyard funk, yeasts and some hay. Slight metallic tinge. Second nose opens a rich woody aroma. Third nose calms down the citrus and funks and definitely brings out the yeast profile. Beautiful.

TASTE : Acidity is present, but backed up by a real freshness. Citrus and herbs are also present, but not so much as the nose seemed to announce. The wood that was present on the nose almost completely disappears once in the mouth.

MOUTHFEEL : Great carbonation, fine bubbles, more ample than champagne. You get the kind of earthy/dusty feeling so typical of the barnyard funk.

OVERALL : One of the best balanced gueuze I've had the pleasure of drinking. I'm aging a few of I have left, see what happens with this big boy in a few years' time. I'll probably chuck out another review.

09-25-2013 18:35:33 | More by FrostBlast
weltywm

Corked bottle. Bottled on date: 08 Nov. 2011. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: A nice satisfying "pop" from the cork. Very hazy amber to light orange. Very minimal head, quickly dissipating and leaving little lacing on the glass. Lots of small bubbles; almost looks like stars twinkling in the sky.

Smell: Even before I put my nose to it, I can smell the funk. With my nose in the glass, I also pick up a lot of green apple and apple cider vinegar, as well as oak and even more barnyard funk. There is also a surprisingly fruity sour note.

Taste: Where to begin. The first thing I noticed was the funk, and a lot of it. It seems like a common note that holds all of the other flavors together, leading to a very nice and complex balance. Following the nose, there is also green apple and some sour and tart red fruit, maybe raspberry. As I keep sipping, there is woody oak and some wine like tannins, mixed with balsamic and vinegar. When the beer warms a bit, some sea salt and yeast flavors emerge, only to become even more dominated by horseblanket and funk.

Mouthfeel: Medium to low carbonation, but this might be in part due to the bottling age. The beer is very crisp with a creamy body. The finish is long, mouthpuckering, sour. and lively. It just goes on forever.

Overall: So, so good. The price is right, the beer is incredibly complex while remaining balanced, with none of the flavors overpowering the others; they all work together like a symphony. I would definitely buy this again. This is what beer should be. I don't know what else I can say about it.

08-16-2013 03:38:26 | More by weltywm