1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,408 | Reviews: 775 | Show All Ratings:
Lars3

Connecticut

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

A typical 750mL corked bottle in a Lindemans - Merchant du Vin flute.

This beer looks like thick gold (if that makes any sense to you). This is what TV tells you beer should look like. A thick golden color, with a perfect fizzy white head.

The smell is quite tart and sour, but not citrusy. Something else all together, yet something I cannot identify. I suppose in the future I'll identify this smell to this beer.

Wow! That is unlike anything else I've ever tasted. My first Gueuze, and I'm blown away. This is tart, sour, acidic, and amazingly dry and refreshing. The Lindemans flute is a small glass and I have to slow myself down. I could easily drink this whole bottle in 10 minutes. As the beer warms the taste stings my tongue longer and with greater intensity. Now it is sipping time.

It is tough to judge the mouthfeel on this one, the beer attacks my tastebuds leaving my other senses slightly numbed. The beer does feel light on the tongue, however.

Dry beers tend to give me heartburn, so I would rule this out would when it came to regular drinking. However if I found a way to get around this peculiar genetic oddity I would like to think I could drink this beer on a regular basis. Today is a hot and muggy day, and I can think of no better beer than a low alcohol, light and dry Belgian ale for a day like today.

05-03-2010 23:06:56 | More by Lars3
calebroberts811

Oklahoma

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Simply gorgeous golden orange color, plenty of carbonation with a pretty off-white head.

S - Musty old leather, aged cheese, vinegar, champagne, dry mustard, with the sweetness coming from subtle white grape/grapefruit notes.

T - Holy crap, this thing is funky. Sour apple, pineapple, old champagne, citrus rind, and black tea tannins pretty much dominate the palette. If any of you have ever had that fermented tea drink called kombucha, this is like a refined and elegant version of that. Also included is a distinguished white wine vinegar component. Absolutely delicious.

M - Surprisingly refreshing and I'd kill to have some food with this. It could be from the funkiness but the mouthfeel reminds me of a cheese as it is almost creamy.

O - Seriously one of the best beers I've had in awhile and it's a bit disappointing that this is the only readily-available gueuze in my area because I may have a new favorite style.

06-03-2011 00:41:33 | More by calebroberts811
chadmoe1

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Had this in a flute glass on 9/30/11.

A -- cloudy gold, 2 inch white head that dissipated to 1/2 inch after a minute

S -- sour and funk

T -- sour up front, horsey/barnyard flavors you'd expect from wild yeast (Brett maybe?); dry in back; complex

M -- very carbonated (almost like champagne), dry and crisp

O -- first beer of this style but very enjoyable; great taste, crisp like champagne but sour and full of complex flavors. Lips still sour after a few sips.

10-02-2011 02:14:51 | More by chadmoe1
willseph

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 750ml into a snifter, part of a mini-tasting with Spdkilz (thanks for bringing this over!!!).

This poured a cloudy, light orange with a half-finger of head to start which was gone after the first few sips. The nose on this gem was a mixture of wet wood, funk, and sour apples. Not a particularly pungent sour, but just enough to let you know what's there.

Initially, it's very tart and the fruit characteristics are very prevalent. Lots of sour apples, grapes, and a touch of orange rinds. The funk taste comes through a little on the back end as well. It's medium bodied and a bit fizzy, but finished quite clean. Overall, this is definitely one of the better sours I've had right off the shelf and certainly would only get better with some age.

12-19-2011 16:47:17 | More by willseph
InlandTaipan

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 3 Feb, 2012

A: Beer pours a beautiful shimmering gold. Effervescent appearance, Off-white head, looks very appealing. (can't wait to taste).

S: Some Trans-2 Nonenal present. Does not take away greatly from aroma. Smells Tart, with a hint of fresh citrus and apple/pear (Ethyl Hexanoate). Nice aroma overall, however the papery aroma does not seem to belong.

T: Sweet, tart, no presence of trans-2 in the flavor. really a very refreshing beer. I thought it would be more tart, but it is very well balanced

M: Coats the mouth nicely for 5%, and has a wonderful effervescent quality to it. The bubbles really help this style I feel.

O: What a fantastic representation of the Gueuze. I would drink this again and again.

12-03-2012 20:23:37 | More by InlandTaipan
exparte

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Pungent sour apple aroma. Pours cloudy and golden with a large, fine head that dissipates very quickly with no lacing at ll. Taste is sour and funky but still somehow pleasant in that makes your cheeks hurt kind of way. Thin and fizzy on the palate; champagne like with a dry, sour finish. It's actually pretty good but I suspect one or two a year would be plenty.

03-07-2010 06:31:43 | More by exparte
deskim

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

from whole foods shared with mmercede poured into wine glasses

appearance: golden, cloudy, some lacing

smell: lactic sour, maybe a little vinegar

taste: very dry, very sour, almost tart, slight bitter aftertaste

mouthfeel: dry, very carbonated

drinkability: taste isn't overly complex, fairly drinkable but i wouldn't have too many

11-15-2010 22:18:19 | More by deskim
Kmccabe33

Georgia

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Beautiful hazy golden color, wine-like carbonation and head on pour. Good looking but nothing mind blowing

S- Smell has all the hint s that the taste follows with. Citrusy, sour apple, other tart notes. Very hard to describe

T- Sour apple, champagne grape flavors some, musty, funk. Very good.

M- Very smooth, drying finish, very good.

O- A wonderful example of a Gueze.

11-12-2012 02:50:30 | More by Kmccabe33
BlankFrank

Oklahoma

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

This is my first lambic, and I must say it's very wierd, but in a good way.

Appearance: From a vintage 1990 champagne bottle to a cylinder glass, it looks golden orange with a fizzy white head. It left a small, thin coat of lace.

Smell: Crazy. Basically, it stinks. It smells sour and sharply fruity with a strong musk. For some reason though, I love it.

Taste: This being my first lambic, I knew to expect sweet and fruity, but it's seriously like no beer I've tasted before. Tart apples, pineapple, and very sour with sweetness. I can definitely taste the fermentation and some of the yeast. If you're not prepared, it could probably put you off, but despite it's sharp and crisp almost reeking taste, I somehow like it. It's almost like a sour, skunky champagne.

Mouthfeel: Small, light bubbles, perfectly complements the sharp fruity taste. Light in body.

D: I like it more at each sip, but I can certainly see how someone would turn it away. If you like unique, it's something that'll entice you till the very bottom of the bottle.

Absolutely strange and odd. My brain tells me not to drink something so sweetly rotten, but I can't help loving it so much.

03-15-2008 06:09:49 | More by BlankFrank
alcurtsinger

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

This is my first gueuze. Also my first lambic and sour beer.

A. Pour an orange/yellowish color. A small head with with lacing that recedes quickly.

S. It smells funky, citrusy, sour, and of lemons.

T. Taste like it smells but more sour and tart. Very good. I taste some grapes.

M. Acidic, carbonated, and a little creamy.

D. Very drinkable. It is light and the taste is not too overpowering. I wish I could try more Gueuze's to compare this too, but sadly the only Gueuze available in Texas.

08-19-2010 23:13:27 | More by alcurtsinger
mtwentz

Washington

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

poured from a 355ml into a pike tulip.
the head quickly dissipates to a thin crescent of straight white around the edge of the glass. The color is an opaque golden honey.
I can smell the tartness: apple, faint pear and citrus zest, and a thin wet mustiness.
the taste is light- to medium-bodied with lightened characteristics of the smells present. like the streams of tiny bubbles running up the side of the glass, so too does the flavor reveal its dry tartness.
I may have overdone this ale in the near past, but its a flavor and aroma I can picture and crave.

01-25-2011 04:32:51 | More by mtwentz
TheFightingMongooses

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottled on 08 Nov 2011, poured into a flute

A - Golden yellow. Pilsner-like but with more of a bright neon glow. Fluffy white head starts at 3 fingers, then reduces down to a lasting half finger with good uneven lacing. There is lots of carbonation.

S - I am first hit by a funk which brings to mind fireworks/gun powder, or something industrial (machines running, oil, burning rubber). Strangely, it's not at all bad! Soon hints of very sour fruit come into the mix.

T - I first notice the prickly, fluffy mouthfeel as the initial taste is subtle.On the back end is sour green apple candy and a spicy peppery dryness. As I continue to smell and taste, the industrial quality transforms into some earthy vegetables and black peppercorns.

O - My first gueze! I am a bit surprised that I found the sourness to be relatively subdued, but it really enhances the whole experience. This stuff is beyond complex - I will definitely be exploring the style further, and will pick up more of this one for sure!

12-14-2012 03:11:33 | More by TheFightingMongooses
WhyBeNormal

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Effervescent gold with tight white cap of head.

S: Sour and citric. Nothing overpowering, but unmistakably a lambic.

T: Very tart and acidic, crisp, lemony, musty lactic funk, finishes dry.

M: Light, dry, refreshing.

D: Very drinkable, but you could sip slowly and really savor it.

Outstanding.

02-21-2011 01:11:59 | More by WhyBeNormal
sirtomtom

1.7/5  rDev -58.3%

Either everyone keeps getting amazing bottles and mine are terrible or their is something seriously wrong with my tastebuds. This review summarizes two bottles purchased several years apart from one another.

A: Both times a gorgeous hazy yellow color.

S: The first bottle, heavy barnyard funk with a bit of urine. The second time light barnyard funk and a faint bitterness.

T: The first bottle, heavy sour with an incredible cat piss flavor, instant drain pour. The second bottle almost non-existent sourness, incredibly light hay flavors, and a bit of bitterness, almost no flavor to speak of. The second bottle was improved with cherry juice to improve it and make it very drinkable.

M: Both bottles have an excellent fizzy mouthfeel and a nice light-medium body.

O: I feel like these bottles are a bit of a crapshoot. While I'm aware lambics/guezes can be highly variable in flavors based on the random bacteria introduced, if the results are not drinkable then why would they bottle a particular batch. Considering other mass available sours available, this is a terrible choice, with a much better choice being the Duchesse de Bourgogne.

09-13-2013 05:16:07 | More by sirtomtom
kms910

Maryland

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Bottle 750ml wire caged cork - very exquisitely designed - purchased from State Line Liquor in Elkton, MD $??

My bottle is still unopened - this was tasted at the Brickseller in Washington, DC 02/07

A - As beautiful as an expensive champagne, very tiny bubbles and a well-established head

S - The smell is distinctive and prepares you for something other than ordinary - maybe, tart???

T - From what I have read about this style of beer as expected it was very sour like unripened green grapes and lemons

M - This also drank like a a very tart champagne (Brut) or sparkling wine

D - I am unsure if I would drink this often. I think I would need to do more exploration with Gueze in order really say if this has a high drinkability factor. I would rate this based on the expectation of a Gueze.

03-26-2007 17:01:45 | More by kms910
irishgurl4

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a Delirium Tremens tulip. Bottle date is 15 Nov 2007. Holy cow! This baby is gonna be noms.

Pours a glowing honey color with a frothy white head that dissipates into a fine broken lacing over the surface and sides of the glass.

Aroma is lemony vinegar with a hint of funk.

Taste is delicious acidic lemon upfront that fades to a barely there earthy funk and a lingering lemonequeness.

Mouthfeel is uber carbonated. Super spritzy but as you keep drinking it leaves that "stripped" feeling across the tongue. Poor little tastebuds, your sacrifice is worthy.

Drinkability is uphill then down. Initially, you're like damn, this is noms, then as the stripped buds start to say uncle the flavors don't come across as strong. Fortunately by that time your at the bottom of your glass.

08-31-2010 02:33:48 | More by irishgurl4
wadecats

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Had a 355ml that said it was bottled: 22 Nov 2012 ! Future beer?
Anyway, It had a lovely head with the right amount of carbonation for a gueuze, pretty darn clear and golden. The smell is not heavy but almost musty and sweet. The fruit flies decided to abandon the huge boxes of peaches to come to my class.
I enjoy most guezes/lambics at warmer temps. than suggested and found this to warm up from tart and slightly sharp to more fruity and mellow sour. The initial taste that stood out was of mussels! I would pair this beer to a plate of straight up steamed and unspiced mussels. I enjoyed this super affordable gueuze from the Budweiser of lambic producers.

09-19-2011 01:14:53 | More by wadecats
MetricOcean

4.61/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A warm sourness permeates throughout your mouth. Slight yeast flavor, but the tartness overcomes. Oily like butter. Very sharp and almost musty. The flavor of this thing pops, I mean just POPS. Amazing. Tastes like: fresh leather, sour apricot, non salted popcorn. 92/100

10-05-2013 00:50:49 | More by MetricOcean
ef88

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Poured 12 oz. bottle into a flute.

A: Pours a light amber, almost orange, which is pretty hazy. White, one finger head that disappears quickly.

S: As soon as I took the cap and cork off, it smelled like someone had opened a bag of weed--seriously (I wouldn't call the smell 'skunky' though). So, I guess this one smelled a bit like herbs or grass. A few more whiffs and I picked up lots of sweetness, alcohol, and clove.

T: This is the first lambic I've tried before and honestly, wasn't too crazy about the taste--obviously quite sour. It kept getting more sour as I drank more.

M: Pretty light, but the tannins make it linger. Very astringent and metallic.

D: Like I said earlier, I'm not crazy about sour beer, so I wouldn't reach for more than one more, but I'm glad I tried it.

I'll be in Belgium in the fall and am going to check out a few breweries, including Cantillon, so maybe I'll have a renewed appreciation for lambics when I get back...

07-16-2010 12:44:10 | More by ef88
luisfrancisco

Mexico

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

I had this on a nice 12 oz. Corked bottle.

This is one of my first forays into lambics so it was an intertesting and very tasty brew.

I had to open this one with a wine opener, after removing the golden foil wrapping on top.

It poured a nice golden hazy color. Very pleasing to the eye, with a nice 3 finger head with decent retention. After the head subsided carbonation was always present and a nice thin layer remained on top for most of the time.

As soon as I opened it smelled very pleasant like a nice trippel, only with the phenols and esters being more noticeable.

Taste was fantastic. Very crisp and refreshing and very tart. I knew I was trying a sour style, but I really did not know how much it would be. The taste is a lot more that what you can smell. The tartness makes you pucker the lips and throw an involuntary kiss. It is however very refreshing.

Drinkability is good, very dry and refreshing. Although I probably would not have too many of these. One is enough.

I will definitely seek this one out again and will probably keep several of these for toasts.

12-17-2010 23:32:15 | More by luisfrancisco
guthrie

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

I'm a sour freak, so take this with a grain of salt if you're not...

12 oz bottle poured into my trusty Duvel tulip.

Golden color, slightly hazy. This, yet sticky head.

Smell of barnyard Brett funk. Sour apple? A nice earthiness, yet bright.

Taste is a nice sourness. Lots of the funk. Some sour apple, but slightly more bread like(?). Sourness starts in the middle of the tongue and rolls back with the swallow. Punchy sour aftertaste. Light carbonation. It's almost the sourness of lemons, without the exact lemon taste.

Thin mouth feel. Light, small carbonation.

For me this is hella drinkable. I would, and could, drink this all night.

Even if you're not a huge fan of sours try it just to see what the Brett/barnyard thing is all about. It's a good representation of that.

01-27-2009 04:20:36 | More by guthrie
Fladder

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

The beer had a light, clear golden amber color and was mildly carbonated. The head was not thick.

The smell was fairly sharp and extremely champagne-like. I couldn't detect any malt or any other typical beer characteristics in the smell.

The first thing I noticed about this beer was the stricking acidity. However, it was not overpowering and the taste dissolved slowly into a pleasant finish. The main taste was apple (Granny Smith maybe), but on the front of the tongue, there was a touch of cedar and grape.
The apple and acidity were a little bit too strong for this beer and could have used a bit more balance, but only a little.

It felt as if the beer evaporated within my mouth as I drank it and was reasonably refreshing, not drying.

01-09-2010 06:40:22 | More by Fladder
atomeyes

Ontario (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

This was my second smell-driven beer I tasted this week (the first being Westvleteren Blonde).

Smell: sulphur, minerals and hot springs. A little bit of apple in the smell, but also an acrid smell. I didn't pick up on the manure smell that some posters said they smell (that was more of the Westy Blonde). The smell is somewhere between unique, comforting and off-putting, if possible. Its like that SNL skit about smelling sour milk and how you have to go back for a second whiff.

Taste: less complex than the odour. It has a good gueuze taste without any of the sweetness I was afraid of finding (and that tends to be in inferior gueuzes). It was more of an apple taste than a sour lemony taste. Decent carbonation. Wish it had a fuller mouth feel to it. Wasn't as refreshing as I'd expect and palate-wise, was on the emptier/lighter side. Not a bad beer, but slightly disappointing.

Appearance: like a nice cider.

Overall, its a decent beer but slightly disappointing. Definitely a good entrance beer for those interested in lambics or gueuze, but not worth the $6/bottle that it costs in Ontario. I had 2 bottles and am not running out to buy more. Will age the 2nd bottle to see if any of the funky smell dissipates.

07-15-2011 03:45:54 | More by atomeyes
knucks999

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Such a great beer for the price. With the right pouring technique, this pours almost bright into my Duvel glass. Notes of bretty barnyard and lactic sourness fill the headspace in the glass. The taste is similar, incredibly drinkable. Not much foam of lacing. High carbonation.

05-15-2011 23:18:45 | More by knucks999
Tetano

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Cloudy yellow with a splash of orange. There is no head and no lacing. Streams of bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass.

S - Sour is the only word that works here. Tartness comes to mind like a fresh granny smell. You can just smell it. A distinct funkiness I have smelled before from a gueuze. Its a smell I haver come to expect and look forward to.

T- A funky sourness hits your tongue on first sip. There is a fruity after taste reminding me of a very sour apple or any sour fruit. The alcohol is well hidden here. The taste matches the smell perfectly.

D - A gueuze is to be savored. I liken the drinking experience to be like a high abv stout. You do not slam this one, it is a sipper. I rated the drink-ability based on the style not against other beers.

04-11-2010 04:56:44 | More by Tetano