Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip.

Appearance is a beautiful clear orangey gold with a tiny head that quickly fades. No lacing.

The smell has an initial skunkiness from the green bottle but this fades quickly. There is a definite funk with some barnyard, wet hay, and straw. Also some fruit comes through in the way of oranges and peaches.

The taste is quite tart from the beginning along with some fruity flavors. Some lemon, apple, and orange. The same barnyard funk present in the smell also comes through but to a lesser degree. Finish is dry and puckering.

Overall, this is my second example of the style, first was Oud Beersel and this is probably my second favorite. The one thing that would make this beer better would be more prominent funk in the taste. No matter this is an excellent beer and one I will come back to again.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml into snifters.

Not much head. A wonderful tangerine-like glowing orange. Pretty clear. Splotchy foam remainers on the surface.

Incredible Bretty sour aromas. Lemon, white grape juice, flooded basement, dead grass, and a nice touch of acetic acid.

Upfront tart in a big way, and then a clean dry finish. A lot of hay, lemon peel, sour twang from citrus and wild yeast. Very complex. Great tartness--like a tongue on a battery.

Spritzy without being too carbonated. Wet and clean on the palate.

This is a great geuze! Wonderfully priced and a great aperitif, as well!

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Been wanting to try this one for a little while now, finally found a stash of them at a local shop.

A - Pours light golden yellow with a small half finger tall white head leaving little to no lace down the glass. If the carbonation had stuck around this one could have been better...

S - Smells of tart sourness, barnyard funk, apples, lemons, damp earth, and wet hay. Smells like your typical gueuze but it never really gets to the point of being great.

T - Starts off with quite a bit of tartness quickly giving way to a mix of the typical barnyard flavors; damp earth, hay, funky basement, etc.; green apples, lemon rind, and a light mineral quality. The finish is pretty dry with some lingering funk.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderately low carbonation. Decent carbonation initially becoming dead still toward the end of the glass.

O - I wouldn't turn one of these down in the future but it really isn't anything mind blowing, just a solid example of the style. I may have to go back and grab a few more of these and see how they are drinking in a few years...

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

750 ml poured into a big Duvel tulip, shared with the mrs., and some close friends on NYE night. Never had this particular gueuse before... but have been craving it for the longest.

A cloudy golden/orange color, with 2 fingers worth of a frothy white head. Excellent retension, with some lacing spotting the glass.

Smells are fruits and honey, with tart, funky undertones giving you a hint of what to expect on the tongue. Fruits are soured(apples, grapes), with bits of sweetness. Quite alot going on in the nose.

As expected, flavors follow the nose well. Sour/funkyness is abit more prevalent on the tongue. Getting a earthy, woody funk. A sour grape, white wine-like dryness is present. Green apples... YUM! <---- *Never thought I'd ever say that, but it works well in this beer.

Light bodied, somewhat high carbed, dry mouthfeel. Could drink the crap outta this, for a sour, but it's more enjoyable as a sipper.

Really like this style, really like this beer. Will definately have again, and absolutely recommend.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

My first gueuze, my final entree into the world of sour beers.

My interest in sour beer was an offshoot of my love for saisons. I loved the funk and mild tang of farmhouse ales, and I thought I would take naturally to sour beers, which I heard BAs raving about on the forums. At first, any sour flavored beers made me pucker and gag. Duchesse De Bourgogne was my first toe dip in the water, and I found those waters foul.

But I knew I couldn't give up.

I figured that a slower easing into the sour funk would help build my appreciation. I started with Vrienden from New Belgium last year and loved it. Just enough stank on that shit to give me a taste.

Saison-Brett from Boulevard gave me a further taste of the funk. Next I tried Duchesse again, grew to like it, and tried Rodenbach Grand Cru, Monk's Cafe, Jolly Pumpkin La Roja, the Dissident, La Folie, and others.

I still hadn't had a gueuze though, and I figured the readily available, inexpensive, and highly regarded Cuvee Rene was a must try.

And I was right. Damn.

The smell is a hurricane of wet funk, dry stank, hay, lemon, slate, spice, must, apples, peaches and brine.

The taste is the same, but leans more towards lemon juice and spicy apple pie.

Mouthfeel is wet.

This shit is right.

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

The cork came out of the bottle with no pop or anything so I hope there isn't something wrong with this one. Pours a murky honey orange with no head and no lace. The lack of head and lace combined with the absence of cork sounds make me think there is a carbonation issue at hand. Smell is of cork, damp wood, and some funky/sour aromas. Taste is mainly of funk and sour flavors but pretty tame overall. A bit acidic in the throat. This beer has almost no carbonation with a pretty flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good gueuze as is but I have had other bottles of this that were much better (and more carbonated). I am sure there is some sort of issue with this particular bottle. I will have to revisit this one in the future.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. No readable freshness date.

A- From a hard pour comes only a bunch of spaced out bubbles that snap, crackle and pop their way down to some sparse surface foam. The beer itself is a hazy, golden peach color. Also lacking in the lace department.

S- Crisp and fruity like all the other lambics I've had, with one difference: Funky and astringent overtones that indicate that this is gonna be a sour one.

T- And it is. A rush of tartness upfront, followed by sweet peaches and ends with a pucker that rivals other spontaneously fermented brews I've had. No doubt about it: Tangy, funky and sour.

M- Quite moist considering how tart it is. Medium-low carbonation does much to reinforce the sharp blow it gives to your palate.

O- This one ends up being a bit of a chore for me to drink but that's common with most sour beers I've had. Done well, just not my thing.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured a cloudy golden-orange with two fingers of loose, dingy white head and lots of speedy bubbles. Aroma of sour lemon, grass, and mild funk.

Moderate carbonation and a mouthfeel that starts crisp and dry but finishes a little thin. Lots of puckering lemon up front mixed with apple, a touch of grape, and grass/hay funk that lingers for a long while.

This is a tasty gueuze that, at seven bucks, wasn't prohibitively expensive or too hard to find. Would have it again!

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%