Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

(375ml bottle). Pours yellow-orange color with dissipating white head. small sediment in suspension. Aroma of funk, grapes and some wood. Taste is sour, but some sweetness balances the beer. Thin to medium bodied with oily texture. Smooth finish. A nice beer

trappistlover, Feb 02, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a straw color with a nice white head. Scent is ver funky with a bit of leather. I love this scent...Great taste...Funkiness with some cheese flavors and more leather. Lots of lemon with more funky cheese and grassy flavors. Mouthfeel is very puckering and crisp. Drinkability is high. My favorite from Lindemans BY FAR!

DovaliHops, Feb 01, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

poured from a 355ml into a pike tulip.
the head quickly dissipates to a thin crescent of straight white around the edge of the glass. The color is an opaque golden honey.
I can smell the tartness: apple, faint pear and citrus zest, and a thin wet mustiness.
the taste is light- to medium-bodied with lightened characteristics of the smells present. like the streams of tiny bubbles running up the side of the glass, so too does the flavor reveal its dry tartness.
I may have overdone this ale in the near past, but its a flavor and aroma I can picture and crave.

mtwentz, Jan 25, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

750 ml bottle poured into wine glass

A: Bright gold with an orange hue, poured with very fine, large head that receded to a white, covering film

S: Barnyard aromas but not over the top, not too many sharp notes, just a little musty

T: Base of a wheat beer, light, no hops, very light malt, but funky, very dry and tart, not quite sour, not as musty as aroma, but has a deep feel to it despite simple ingredients

M: Very dry, like white wine, puckering

D: Light and refreshing but it is complex

Notes: Didn't blow my mind, but it is definitely a very good example of a Gueuze.

dpodratsky3, Jan 25, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a hazy golden orange color with an amazing head. Head has awesome retention. No lacing. Smells fruity and a bit spicy. Taste super sour. Picking sour pear, sour apple and maybe some cherries. Mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation. Feels very clean. Drinkability is ok. Being my first gueuze I didnt know what to make of it. Its a pretty simple straight foward beer. It was good but I wouldnt pay 8 dollars for this again.

depechemode1983, Jan 23, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Golden straw yellow in color with a fizzy white head that dissipates quickly. Tart funky aroma with some sweetness behind the must. Tartness rolls around the tongue to the back of the mouth while the chalky, acidic cider flavors swell. Champagne-like mouthfeel from the carbonation. The beer is growing on me as I continue to sip.

jimbus, Jan 18, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

750 ml bottle. Pours a hazy golden straw color. White head disappears quickly. A few nice spots of lace. Very fine bubbles streaming from the bottom.

Tart, sharp lactic aroma. Funky, with a slight leathery aroma. Fruity notes.

Tart, slightly puckering. A sour note lingers for a while. A bit of a ripe fruit feel. Earthy and dry finish.

Lighter body, with a good carbonation feel. Tartness is refreshing. Alcohol is a non-factor here. Very refreshing, a great change of pace.

Bierguy5, Jan 16, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a clear orangy-gold with a foamy white head. No lacing, tons of bubbles rising.

Light malt, but some tart fruit aromas, not rind, but skin. Some musty funk as well.

Sour malt up front, then some mineral/chalk, tart appleskin element (this does have a sour apple quality to it). Acidic edge clears the palate quickly, and you a mild bitter finish. Tart, mineral, bitter.

Nice carbonation and some astringent elements. Enough body to know what you are drinking. Good structure here.

Overall, a decent rep of the style, although thee are others that have more complexities. I got 12 oz. bottle, and that was enough. $8? Worth a try.

OtherShoe2, Jan 16, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

The following was printed on this 750ml bottle: LJ02IGCR. Consumed on 1.14.11. Poured into a 20 oz. brandy glass.

A: Appears a dull earthy orange gold color and is completely foggy.

S: A wild nose of funky spicy fruit, perhaps burnt orange. Very intriguing.

M/T: A nice off balanced feel between sweet and sour with sour winning the battle. Fruity and complex with notes of wool and burnt orange rind bitterness.

D: A robust champagne-esque body and dry finish contributed very well to a pairing with Italian antipasta and bruschetta.

albertjr21, Jan 14, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Finger and a half of slightly off white head on top of a lighter copper body. The beer is totally clear with lacing. The head just does not go away.

S: Not as pungent as I expected. Some cherry with a hint of a sour aroma. Some other fruits as well, citrus? It was also a bit musty.

T: Starts with a fruit flavor and then comes a complex sour flavor. There is a bit of green apple and a hint of bitterness, as well as some grapefruit. There is a also a bit of hay flavor as well as general mustyness.

M: The beer had a lighter to medium body, with good carbonation leaving it not tasting thin.

D: I was expecting the beer to be a bit more sour and it was slightly thicker than I expected. I will definitely be trying more sours, even though I did not exactly fall in love with this beer. Even though I didn't fall in love with it, I did find the beer to be pretty enjoyable.

OnThenIn, Jan 12, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Bottled July 1st 2010.

Excellent first impressions, the bottle and presentation was nice with a cork, cap, and wrap. The pour didn't disapoint with great fragrance as soon as I popped the cork and a beautiful appearance in the glass. Foamy head that lasted a while and left about 3/4 of the surface with fluffy lacing.

First taste was a very tart, very satisfying sip. This gets all of it's crispness from the sour, and any alcohol taste was completely masked if present. Good mouthfeel and highly carbonated.

Drinkability was good, although my first sips were small to adapt to the sourness and increased through the beer.

Very nice, highly recommended.

majorhavok, Jan 04, 2011

Presentation: Thought I would try out this widely available and inexpensive gueuze. I would like to lay some sours down int he cellar and see how they develop with time and this one seems like a prime candidate. Poured from a 750ml bottle into a white wine glass. Label is simple orange background with black designs. Bottle code is L L22IGCR 4720. From research, it seems that the first L stands for Lindemans. The next L is month made (December). the 22 is day made, and the I is year made (2009). The GCR stand for Gran Cru Rene. So, this bottle is just over a year old.

Appearance: Pours with just shy of one finger of nearly white head. This settles very quickly to a thin, incomplete coating of foam, eventually collapsing to the barest of rings. The beer itself is a hazy amber with some activity. I can see sediment kicked up in the bottle as I pour.

Smell: Tart nose with hints of lemon citrus and light strawberries.

Taste: Lot of carbonation upfront, sparkles on your tongue like champagne. Tart lemon sourness throughout and lingering well after each sip. Flavors of fresh hay and herbal notes, although the overall flavor is very mild.

Mouthfeel: Extremely high carbonation level but with an excellent body to stand up to it.

Drinkability: extremely light and refreshing. While it is diametrically opposed to the stouts I usually like, I am very interested to see how this changes through the years. Must get some for the cellar.

beveritt, Dec 31, 2010

750 for only ~$10

the appearance is light orange, straw yellow color. smells sour and like grapes. taste is tart and sweet...tastes like grapes and sour fruit... . the carbonation is lively and it cuts across your tongue. pretty thin body, appropriate for the style. pretty high drinkability, i like the beer. good stuff.

drewd0g, Dec 30, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz corked, capped, and foiled bottle poured into a Lindemans flute.

My first ever Gueuze (and I've actually only had one or two lambics before...). I saw this in the cooler as I was leaving and had to go back and get it as it's hard to find back home and is quite a bit more expensive. Win/win.

A - It is fairly light, about a real faint straw color. It has a ton of head and carbonation, but leaves little to no lace at all. Retention on the creamy, egg-shell colored head is fairly moderate, it reduces to a cap pretty quickly. Clear body.

S - Smell is bold and in your face. I was able to smell this beer before my corkscrew even completely removed the cork, and once it was able to breathe in the kitchen, it wasn't long before it wafted to my nose. It was even faintly traveling to the next room. The first thing I thought of was skunk, and a potent one at that. As I focused more, however, I was able to pick up some really country smells, bringing me back to my days as a child visiting my grandparents, who lived in a very rural part of Pennsylvania. Very musty, dank, an old barnyard type of smell. Some beginning to mold cheese? After that is some citrus, apples, and beers. At first repulsive, as it becomes more familiar its actually quite enjoyable...

T - The taste is sour beyond what I thought a beer could achieve. I've heard stories, but the first-hand experience is more than I could've imagined. Lots of the flavor just immediately goes to the sides of my mouth and activates the sour taste buds, and the back half of the roof of my mouth. Tart, almost like a concentrated Warhead. The sourness mixes with the apple and lemon to make it sort of seem as they are a bit overripe or molding, but it's pleasant in a weird sort of way. The fruits really shine in the finish, which is sour and citric.

M - Mouthfeel is light with heavy carbonation. Has a similar mouthfeel to champagne but obviously worlds more sour. Leaves a lasting sourness in the sides of the cheek, but is dry.

D - Drinkability is moderate. Alcohol is non-existent. I'm hoping that with a few more sours under my belt these will go down easier, but at the moment its a total sipper. Potential though!

nhindian, Dec 28, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Picked up a bottle because I was in the mood for some geuze and didn't want to spend a fortune. I was not disappointed. Cracked open a 750mL bottle at cellar temp of 55F and poured it into a champagne flute and shared it with my fiancee.

The body is a crisp and clear peach-hued straw color. Streamers of bubbles cascade upward from countless different nucleation sites and feed a fluffy but coarse head. If not for the video of Armand from 3F showing me how to pour lambic, this would have foamed all over the place.

The aroma is fairly dry and earthy, dominated by oakey tannins and some lactic sourness and a wild funk. There are some apple and peach esters, too. The taste is similar, with the tannins taking on an even more prominent role. The sourness is less acidic than I had expected, as the funk comes out more. Again, the fruity esters are present. The finish is dry, in typical geuze fashion, but this tastes sweeter than some of my favorite geuzes.

Light in texture and full of spritzy carbonation, Cuvee Rene is a solid representation of geuze. However, the tannic notes are a bit overpowering and push some of the more delicate flavors out. Additionally, the finish isn't as bone-dry as I prefer. Overall, a solid beer, and I could finish a full 750 myself. Affordable, so I imagine that I will be revisiting it soon, but it isn't my favorite. Under normal circumstances, I would call the experiment finished and move on to stronger representations, but the price point of this beer is spot on for a lambic lover on a budget.

NittanyBeerFan, Dec 24, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

I had this on a nice 12 oz. Corked bottle.

This is one of my first forays into lambics so it was an intertesting and very tasty brew.

I had to open this one with a wine opener, after removing the golden foil wrapping on top.

It poured a nice golden hazy color. Very pleasing to the eye, with a nice 3 finger head with decent retention. After the head subsided carbonation was always present and a nice thin layer remained on top for most of the time.

As soon as I opened it smelled very pleasant like a nice trippel, only with the phenols and esters being more noticeable.

Taste was fantastic. Very crisp and refreshing and very tart. I knew I was trying a sour style, but I really did not know how much it would be. The taste is a lot more that what you can smell. The tartness makes you pucker the lips and throw an involuntary kiss. It is however very refreshing.

Drinkability is good, very dry and refreshing. Although I probably would not have too many of these. One is enough.

I will definitely seek this one out again and will probably keep several of these for toasts.

luisfrancisco, Dec 17, 2010

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- A very hazy orange with a two finger white head.

S- Sour, musty, funky barnyard smell, hint of lemon and fresh cut grass.

T- Sour/tart lemons up front, hints of yeast, and a funky bitter finish. Nice complexity.

M- Crisp, light, some of the yeast in the bottle was still large and made the beer a little chunky at times.

D- Easy to drink and very enjoyable, if you know what you are getting into drinking a Gueuze. Having one bottle was enough for me. Just a solid sour funky beer.

larryi86, Dec 15, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Consumed alongside some cheese tortelleni.

This beer poured a beautifully clear golden color with persistent carbonation floating to the top. The head was a two finger cloudy white even after a carefully gentle pour. Left some nice lacing, too. Gotta love Belgians.

The nose was primarily musty. Deep down in there, there was a slight fruit note, but this is definitely funky. Not a bad funky... but it's definitely the dominant smell.

The taste is fairly drinkable and layered. The citric bite is pervasive in the flavor and can range from sharp to a lemony finish. I get some notes of a fruit that tastes something like apples or pears. Drawing air over it, I get some funk tastes. None of the flavors are overpowering, but they all show up.

The carbonation level is high, but that's the way I like it. Hits my mouth quite well and is always inviting.

I'm just starting to get into sours (no thanks to living in Texas) and I'm glad that this one is always available in my local grocery store. Definitely a good beer and I'll br having this again.

UTCengOwl, Dec 14, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a flute, this Gueuze has a cloudy golden yellow body with a good 3 fingers of fluffy head on top. The head has lots of retention, and creates some nice lacing on my glass. Initial aroma is a lemony, sour / funk that is typical with the style. Very tasty, a nice tartness upfront, the lemon / floral hints start to come through as the sour fades on the tongue, also an earthy funk kinda finish that I like. Medium bodied, lots of carbonation - great mouthfeel.

Ive had a few of these in the past, and will continue to grab a couple bottles when available. A very affordable example of the style.

prdstmnky, Dec 13, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene'

Appearance: 12 oz corked bottle into a flute. Pours a rich gold with a nice bubbly, pillowy froth leaving some webbing on the glass. Tons of carbonation bottles rising to the top. Heavenly looking.

Smell: Greeted with a nice sour aroma. Hints of lemon juice, brett, a bit of funk.

Taste: Wow. Bitter and sour upfront. The flavor almost mimics a lemon flavored sweet tart. Has a vineous, wine type aftertaste. Some yeasty earthyness is there, but the acidity and sourness lasts through the entire experience and is in the forefront here. Little to no malt flavor, cracker like but overpowered. Pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation, stings the palate and drops alien flavors onto my tastebuds. A fairly dry feel with a lingering sour note.

Drinkability: This is a great example of the style. Unique and delicious, the Cuvee Rene is a nice change of pace beer, and one worth revisiting.

Stinkypuss, Dec 10, 2010

A-Light amber with an inch and a half of bubbly white head that fades quickly, leaving minimal soapy lacing.

S-Musty old basement, hay, damp leaves, fruit acidity, heartburn.

T/M-Compared to other gueuzes I've had, this one isn't particularly tart. It has a mild, pleasant maltiness, with notes of hay and damp wood. Like an old barn after a rainstorm. The acidity hits mid-palate and fades quickly. A very reserved take on the style. The finish is thin and earthy. Moderate to low carbonation.

D-One of the most accessible gueuzes I've had. A less extreme version of the style that doesn't sacrifice quality.

DaveHS, Dec 06, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

750 ml bottle, corked and capped. Bottled in 2004. Poured into my Russian River stem.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with an off-white head that slowly settles. Lacing is very good, and sticks to the side of the glass.

S: The nose is faint, but still present. Lemon, green apple, and barnyardy funk are prominent, with just a hint of oak lingering in the backround.

T: Though this beer has some age, it's incredibly youthful still. Quite tart, with flavors of lemon and sour apple. The wild yeasts and bacteria lend a good dose of barnyard and earthiness. Finish is dry and very refreshing.

Notes: Perhaps this is the best beer I have had from Lindemans. Light bodied, crisp and dry, this is a great sipper. I'm glad I snapped up the last bottle in the store.

WYVYRN527, Nov 28, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Pumpkin orange, nice lasting head.

Lots of orange peel, yeastiness, the standard brettiness.

Sour apple, citrus, pear. Sweet and sour, nicely balanced.

Yeast is predominant in the mouthfeel, dry finish.

I'd like to age this, good potential; I think it's too young.

ptykozoon, Nov 27, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottling date of July 2010. My first ever gueuze!

Pours a pale yellow color with tons of cascading bubbles and a huge foamy head that could be cut with a knife. Great retention and nice lacing to boot.

Massively floral on the nose. Like a fresh cut bouquet of garden flowers. Rose, iris, orchid and orange peel.

Starts out very fruity and champagne like. It then evolves to some tartness and finally extreme bitterness like grapefruit peel. Still a very floral presence in the taste as well.

Very smooth with soft carbonation. Slightly more than light bodied. Dry finishing.

Personally, this one is night really for me. I can however appreciate what is going on here, but maybe, just maybe gueuze just isn't for me. It appears to be well crafted and right on for the style, but the extreme bitterness and tartness with a lack of sweetness doesn't do a whole lot for me.

jera1350, Nov 23, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a deep amberish gold hazed with tons of wheat with a thick bubbly white head and tons of lacing. Smells of ester, musk, and tartness. Tastes of sour apple with a mild funk flavor with heavy wheat flavor. Tons of awesome sourness. Mouthfeel is very nice with tons of carbonation. Drinkability is almost unmatched. I could drink tons of them.

TheKingofWichita, Nov 22, 2010