Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

[Side Note] I substituted this beer for Cantillon Gueuze in the salad dressing in the "Roasted Cauliflower Salad" recipe in the latest issue of Beer Advocate and decided to pair the rest of this beer with the salad. It was delicious on all accounts.

Poured this beer down the center of a mini tulip glass and came out with a huge, billowy white head that simply exploded into the glass. As it descended the lacing clung to and painted every inch it touched. It was a bright gold color, very attractive, with lively streams of bubbles.

In the aroma there was sour-vinegar, light fruitiness, musk, lemon-orange-citrus zing, damp and fields. There is nothing like a good Belgian beer when it comes to aroma.

The first sip is tart, sharp and acidic, almost like biting into a lemon. There is just enough sweet here to balance into a very refreshing experience, however. It is an exuberant expression balanced by some earthy notes. The body is light, but the carbonation makes it feel twice its size.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

My first review; poured from a 750 mL champagne style bottle.

A- Dark gold to orange in color, with very tall, foamy head. Head is retained fairly well, and considerable lacing.

S- Lots of funk, some sour apple and lemon notes. Sourness and lactic characteristics are up front.

T- Wow, that is a sour beer. Same lemon and apple-like notes. Fruity and sour, which I am a big fan of. Tastes reminiscent of their Kriek with the tartness turned way up. Quite delicious.

M- Fairly light mouthfeel, but substantial enough for the style.

D- Very drinkable despite the sourness, I could go through a 750 mL bottle no problem, though I could see the sourness turning people off after a glass or two.

Overall, an excellent brew. My second foray into lambics, the Lindeman's Kriek being my first. I like this style a lot, and could definitely drink this again.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A really wonderful ale. Poured from the bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Pours golden-orange, hazed, lots of fluffy white head. A good bit of funk and fruity character in the aroma. Pretty tart (sour!) and funky, with citrus-like acidic quality. Really good stuff, I love it. Really makes you pucker up. I'd get this one again without a doubt.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a nice murky deep yelow. Aroma is citrusy and flavor is similar but with distinct lemon tartness. Very well carbonated and lively as you sip this is a very nice sour and a good representative of the style. I'm not a huge sour fan. But this is one I would drink again.

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

A - A radiant orange, with a fluffy white head. Decent retention and lacing.

S - Lots of funk - damp basement, yet lemony and yeasty. Odd to my nose, but interesting.

T - Fairly aggressive sour and tartness, but not overly vinegary. Crisp and fruity with a fair amount of the funk from the nose coming through as I sip it. Just a bit of malt.

M - Fairly crisp and light bodied with medium carbonation. Dry finish.

D - One bottle was enough for me in a sitting, and it lacked something for me. Will try others of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Golden orange with a very thick head. Musty, barnyard and citrus and sugar in the nose. Strong front hints.

Bitter, dry-champagne and cidery profile. Apples, lemons and yeast. Definite barnyard-y character; very earthy.

A great geuze, pairs nicely with a good farmhouse cheese.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

750mL bottle, corked and capped, $9.99 in OH. I've never picked this up before because Lindemans fruit lambics are so sweet, like soda, and I wasn't sure how good the gueuze would turn out without the fruit. But after reading some reviews I figured it was time to give their gueuze a go.

The beer is clear, bright orange, with a beautiful white frothy head that laces in thick layers with clumps. Off to a very good start, and the aroma follows through as well. Musty funky gueuze aromas, a little lemon, very good. It tastes tart and approachably sour, but still feels authentic. A little dry which is good, lots of citrus acidity.

This is hands down the best beer I've tried from Lindemans. And I'm kind of a fan of their other beers anyway, even if they are just lambic and fruit juice rather than actual fruit fermentation.

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

A - Long lasting head; thin, but persistent

S - Great nose. A lot of citrus and floral notes to it

T - Fairly one dimensional, although it does have a great puckering sour taste on the back end which is what I was looking for. But, again, it just didn't have much else going on

M - Quite good; hits all the right spots, though none spectacularly

D - Very drinkable, though not diverse enough to capture my palate's attention for a second bottle

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a light orange color with great lacing.

Smells of pilsner malt and a barnyard. Very intriguing and complex. Light hints of what I think is lactic bacteria.

As for taste, wow, I was not expecting something so tart and sour. I was expecting more of the straight leather/horse traits, but this beer is highly acidic, almost like a cross between grapefruit juice and sour milk. I don't mean that in a bad way, though, as this beer is delicious.

Mouthfeel is thin with high carbonation.

It's definitely an interesting beer, and perhaps a good introduction to the world of sours, as it's not a vinegary as some. Caught me off guard at the beginning, but I began to really enjoy it as I went on.

Poured into my favorite tulip glass. Pours a slightly hazy orange/peach hue with a nice snow white head. Aroma is nice and light with hints of fruit and some funk. Smooth and crisp flavor. Tartness is mild/medium as is sourness. Refreshing but not too bold. Slight alcohol taste at the end.
The mouthfeel is light as it is fairly carbonated.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Light golden-orange body. Fizzy, one finger head quickly settled to a thin skim with a ring. Just the faintest hints of lacing.

S: Lemon, funk, wheat, green apple. Hints of the tartness to come.

T: Acidic lemon, green apple, pear and funk dominate the flavor profile. Nice and tart. Slightly sour. Good presence of barnyard funk and earthy tones.

M: Medium to light carbonation. Smooth bodied with gentle, even carbonation throughout. Moderate tartness, acidity and sourness in the finish. Lingers for a second or so.

D: A really well balanced effort. Easy drinking and quite accessible. Nice when looking for a less intense gueuze.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

A-pours a completely transparent golden yellow with a tight fluffy head, good retention and a thin lace left behind.

S-the nose has funk and mushroom up front, notes of citric acidity and just a touch of lemon.

T-the funk and mushroom is right up front, citric acidity, hint of sourness in the back. notes of sour grapes and a lingering bite in the finish.

M-smooth and creamy, good carbonation holding throuhgout, medium body and crisp and dry finish.

D-this is well balanced and easy to drink, it has a good balance between funk, sweet, and sourness. very solid beer and great on the palate.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden with a one finger white head that disappears almost immediately and leaves no lacing in its wake.

S: A blend of subdued funk and tartness up front, with lemon zest and some wheat notes.

T: Tartness is more apparent that the nose lets on, on an almost mouth puckering level up front. Funk blends with the tartness, followed by citrus and light fruit.

M: Moderate body with high carbonation.

D: Not overly sour and fairly refreshing. Probably wouldn't drink it again as there are other gueuzes I enjoy more, but definitely a good beer.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Presentation: Corked and capped bottle with tin foil covering. Poured completely from the bottle into a snifter glass.

Appearance: Pale orange in color. Lots of carbonation flowing toward the top of the glass. Almost no head after the pour. A little white lacing settles near the edge of the glass.

Aroma: Tart lemon and some barnyard funk. The funk and some pale malt are rather assetive here.

Taste: The lemon notes really stand out here. The sour notes are rather straightforward but really work well with the funkiness of the yeast. Nicely balanced. Clean aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Aggresively carbonated with a medium mouthfeel.

Drinkability: The flavors are intense and very upfront, but they are nicely balanced and work well together. The ABV is manageable and the mouthfeel works nicely.

Overall, a nice take on this style. Balanced with good sours notes. Nothing too complex but definitely something worth trying.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Date on back of Bottle: (L D08 HGCR)

Pours a slightly orange yellow with a tiny head.
Smell of funk, horseblanket , tart lemons and some citrus.

Taste very similar to aroma. More brett flavor than I had expected from Lindemans, and a solid overall Lambic taste. Citrus and lemon are the most pronounced flavors. Not quite as dry as other lambics, but also not quite as carbonated. My bottle may have been a one off, as it was relatively lowly carbonated and I see others have said their pours had a large head.

3.55/5  rDev -13%

375ml bottle poured into a chalice

fluffy white head reduces to a collar on top of a hazy gold body of liquid. Smell is acidic, green apples, pear, pretty clean smell. Not really funky. Taste is moderately sour up front then changes to sweet apples. Sweaty, fatty and lactic. Finishes dry and a little tasteless. Refreshing for the style and easy to drink.

Not infinitely complex nor is it one dimensional. Very good value and a good place to start when you want to ease your way into the style.

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

A-Pours a hazy, honey colored orange/yellow with a one finger, white head.

S-Whew! This one is musty and funky as all hell at first. The must and funk fade into a predominantly lemon and a bit of funk scent.

T-Tart lemon and a bit of sour, funky notes to it with some earthiness on the finish.

M-A little thin feeling and watery in the mouth with heavy carbonation.

D-The musty character is hard to get by at first. The thin watery mouthfeel is also something I'm not really a fan of, but I would be willing to give Gueze another shot.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

375ml bottle from 41st Ave Liquors in Santa Cruz, CA. Paired with some 5 year old gouda. My first gueuze -- taking advice from the forums to start with this one.

A - Huge 3-4 finger head on the initial pour. Recedes to a thin cap with plenty of patchy lacing around the glass.

S - Lots of citrus, a bit of mustiness and funk. The stinky cheese REALLY sets this off.

T - Orange zest, lemon, and funk in the front. Tastes like the barnyard a bit, some dust in the middle, and then a hint of some berries in the back with more citrus. Very yummy. And the gouda is only helping to bring out some of the background flavors in this one.

M - Medium body with a light and dry finish. Not heavy in any way, doesn't really coat the mouth, and just glides down the throat easily.

D - Off the charts for me. It's just dry enough, and the citrus really makes this feel refreshing. I immediately wished I had bought another one. Like others have said, it would be a great daytime beer. I'd love to try this with some seafood in the backyard this summer. A little pricey for sessioning but I could still drink a ton of this.

Overall, my first gueuze has me wanting to try lots more of them. I can tell where a lot of my time (and money) will be going in the near future.

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Bottled in Dec. 2009

Pours a hazy pale golden color with an off white head that fades quickly leaving almost no lacing around the glass.

Smell is musty, lemon, and a bit citrusy.

Taste is fantastic! Very well balanced and easy to drink. Some Gueuze and lambic can be very tart and dry making it a chore to drink, not this one. Sits on the palate nicely also. Upfront is a big hit of orange and lemon tartness, followed by an apple sweetness. Has a musty flavor in the middle. The end of the beer is a bit like a strawberry that isn't quite ripe yet. The finish is of course dry but not an overpowering one.

Overall a nice little beer that I'm proud to have plenty of access to. It seems like it may be a little to fresh right now, I'm sure with some age this could be an outstanding beer.

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

Picked up a bottle from Abe's for $10.50 and split it with friends. This isn't a big ripping gueze like some of the legends. Rather, this is a touch more balanced and approachable. While the aroma has a mix of spice and farmhouse funk, the aroma is gentler with sour, tangy lime and a hint of sugar. Worth a try or a decent introduction to the style.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

355ml bottle into Duvel tulip. LL 01HGUCR 0614 might indicate the bottled on date, but I neither understand it nor really care to (if it's "fresh", great, if it has a few years on it post being bottled, also great).

Appearance: Free pour yields a half inch fizzy white head that quickly dissipates into a lasting foam ring around the surface of the beer and leaves no lacing (nor does the beer). Pours a hazy yellow/amber.

Smell: Effervescent, yeasty, and tart. Sour apple and lemon. A little fainter than I would like.

Taste: First sip: aggressively tart and sour with lots of popping carbonation up front for a few seconds, then quickly transitions into a musty, creamy flavor that tastes oak aged. The tart/sour flavor seems to be characterized by apple, green grape, and lemon. Each sip is a little different; sometimes it's all sourness and fruit, others it's light tartness up front followed by a long deep and musty finish. That occasional musty creaminess has a bit of a strawberries and cream character to it. Overall, the flavor is very interesting, well-balanced, and delicious.

Mouthfeel: On the lighter side of medium bodied, with lots of welcome carbonation. Obviously, quite puckering from the sourness, but not overboard.

Drinkability: Extremely refreshing beer. I can't imagine ever turning one of these down on a hot day.

I can see why so many people suggest this as an intro to gueuze. It's a masterfully crafted beer, with excellent balance and distinct, delicious flavors.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Pours a clean, crisp golden hue. With bubbles rising to the top to form a minimal head, that is gone rather quickly.

S: Lime/lemon squeeze. People say funkiness, this is my first beer from this style, but I can say I agree. Not exactly sure what this smell is, but I like it.

T: It has a sour crispness to it. My first sip brought me back to when I was a kid sucking on warheads. I wasn't sure it would be so utterly tart, yet so delicious. I can't pick up all the flavors though.

M/D: Smooth and crisp. This is my first gueuze, and I have to say I like it. It is very complex, for me anyway. I keep tasting, trying to slowly piece it together. I can tell why people say this is the next style up from ipa/dipa, complex and intriguing.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

The brew pours a cloudy golden hue with beautiful carbonation that leaves a very frothy three finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is aromas of mould,dust,wet socks,fresh green apples and freshly cut green grass,it has a pretty light mouthfeel that is made for more than one of and has tastes of green apples,green grapes,kiwi fruit and finishes very sour and tart,overall this would be a great brew to drink on a hot summers day and even though on first taste its quite sour and mouthpuckering it does get better and easier to drink just couldnt drink it all the time,very intesting and different though.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

A typical 750mL corked bottle in a Lindemans - Merchant du Vin flute.

This beer looks like thick gold (if that makes any sense to you). This is what TV tells you beer should look like. A thick golden color, with a perfect fizzy white head.

The smell is quite tart and sour, but not citrusy. Something else all together, yet something I cannot identify. I suppose in the future I'll identify this smell to this beer.

Wow! That is unlike anything else I've ever tasted. My first Gueuze, and I'm blown away. This is tart, sour, acidic, and amazingly dry and refreshing. The Lindemans flute is a small glass and I have to slow myself down. I could easily drink this whole bottle in 10 minutes. As the beer warms the taste stings my tongue longer and with greater intensity. Now it is sipping time.

It is tough to judge the mouthfeel on this one, the beer attacks my tastebuds leaving my other senses slightly numbed. The beer does feel light on the tongue, however.

Dry beers tend to give me heartburn, so I would rule this out would when it came to regular drinking. However if I found a way to get around this peculiar genetic oddity I would like to think I could drink this beer on a regular basis. Today is a hot and muggy day, and I can think of no better beer than a low alcohol, light and dry Belgian ale for a day like today.

2.83/5  rDev -30.6%

appearance is very light and amber in color.

smells a little tart with hints of wild berry and citrus

taste is very intense, overwelmingly tart and sour. i could not palate the drink. i dont see how some people describe this with a funky oak taste, leather, (although i didnt taste that)and sour fruit and still enjoy it but to each there own.

mouthfeel was good, very carbonated with a sharp clean feel.

drinkablity is low i would not likly drink more than one.

i would venture to say that it takes a very sophisticated palate to enjoy this beer.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans