Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
veachster

Wisconsin

A - It is smooth and cloudy looking in my beer glass. There is small signs of carbonation (bubbles are hard to see unless there aren't many). It has a white head on a foggy orange body that receeds quickly with no retention.

S - It has an applelish type smell and again with the Lambics, it seems I can pick up that cork smell in the beer along with some kind of citrus.

T - I was expecing that apple taste from the apple smell. It has an off-taste to it somewhat difficult to describe... seems as if it's an apple and an orange peel. Leaves someone a strong "earthy" taste in your mouth, but with lots of salivating.

M - Feels like a medium weight sitting on your tongue. Starts off kind of bland and builds up to a sharp tart.

D - I was caught off guard by the smell and appearance. Out of the Lambic family, I'd personally rank this one the lowest out of the other's I've tried. This is not a beer you would bring to a party and slam. This is more of the sipping kind you would bring out for a special occasion.

04-04-2009 04:38:02 | More by veachster
rtepiak

Poland

some murky... quite a bit actually... pour is apple juice with a nice sized head. sort of a surprise. smell is like a lambic. musty sour apple. mellow gueze. quite grassy actually. no metallic in the aluminum sense but its there with a straw finish in the malt. apple is there. mildly in comparison to most. i'm surprised. the murkier side of the bottle is better but linderman's i thought i hated you. this is nice. and for the price fantastic. quite lemony. no as astringent as expected. will have again. a basic, but between this and oud beersel a good introduction to gueze. i personal think linderman's best.

03-28-2009 06:05:30 | More by rtepiak
HoppyMcStout

Missouri

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a hazy golden color with a light bit of orange. Huge fluffy white head. All I can smell is some serious acidic citrus notes, followed by an intriguing subtle mustiness. Highly carbonated - the mouthfeel is great! Very dry. Fantastic sour flavor that subsides quickly and finishes crisp.

03-22-2009 01:01:23 | More by HoppyMcStout
RblWthACoz

Pours a gazed orange hued gold with a white head. Nose is grassy funky with a sweet edge. Flavor is grassy. Mix of sweet edges on a mildly funky tone. Feel is a fairly vibrant carbonation and the liquid is slick. This is a good starter gueuze as many have said before. If you don't want to dive all the way in with something super funky, this is the one to go for.

03-10-2009 05:28:22 | More by RblWthACoz
Soneast

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Opened the bottle and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Pours a clear golden yellow color with a relatively thick, rocky, off-white colored head that has some excellent lacing.

The aroma is a good indicator of what I'm in store for when I take a swig. Very tart and dry. Tart green apples, earthy, pungent sour aromas assault my nose with a definite funkiness lingering in the sinus cavities.

The flavor hits me up front with a tart green apples, a definite sourness compliments the beer through the entirety of the drink, but it also some sweet grain flavors and finishes very dry and tart. Leaving a thick layer of mucus on the very back end of the palate. Doesn't sound appetizing, but dang its good!

Medium light bodied, with ample carbonation. I personally have always loved sours, so I was not surprised that I enjoyed this beer as much as I did. So smooth and delicious despite the funk, sour and tartness it really gets my mouth watering. Considering the low ABV this is highly drinkable.

03-09-2009 22:18:59 | More by Soneast
SirChugsAlot

Washington

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Date on label says: 15 NOV 2007

Picked this one out because, well, i've never had this style and wanted to try it.
Capped and corked got me a little weirded out to start with, but okay here it goes

Poured this into my lost abbey tulip glass
A - bright gold with a sizeable white head that filled the glass and looked to be pretty thick, then fell quickly leaving no lacing around the glass.

S - Citrus and sour with a trailing off smell of funky that i'm learning to enjoy a bit more

T - Sour and sour with a bit of funk at the end again

M - Carbonation is a bit high for my liking, kinda smooth but in a champagne kind of way

D - Not bad for my first gueuze, but not my favorite style. I'll try one of these again, but it won't be for a while.

03-02-2009 06:57:07 | More by SirChugsAlot
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

About time i reviewed one of these bad boys.

Pours a clear yellow with slight orange tint and a fizzy white head that does not stick around for very long.

Nose is good horseblanket farm funk wild yeast. Some tartness is apparent in the nose for sure. a bit of fresh white fruit too, crisp apple.

Taste is a mirror image. Crisp green apple and good stanky funky horseblanket flavors right off the bat. Incredibly dry on the finish, with great tartness throughout. Aftertaste is farm funkage and dry apple. Some slight pepper in here as well, very slight.

Mouthfeel is pretty much right where it should be. Carbonation is a touch high, but this is expected in gueuze from time to time. Viscosity is just right. Great dryness on the finish and aftertaste.

Drinkability is where this one shines. A perfect medium between tart and sour makes this one a very drinkable gueuze. A tiny bit high carbonation makes it that much more slammable as well.

Overall, this is certainly the best beer in Lindeman's regular lineup. A solid gueuze that I'm sure gets less attention than it deserves because it is from the notorious sweet panty peeler lambic producer that we all know and give to girls. This however, is a solid representation of the style, and is not one to be neglected, a good gueuze for sure.

02-18-2009 03:29:31 | More by AKBelgianBeast
jujubeast6000

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Reviewed 9/13/2007 (bottle):

Pours a cloudy yellow fizzy. White head, small bubbles. Kinda looks like champagne. Very sour aroma, like rotten something, but only the sour. Very sour taste, bubbly mouthfeel. Different feeling. Odd. Different taste if I drink it with my whole mouth versus just my throat.

02-18-2009 01:08:08 | More by jujubeast6000
bowersdm

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

12oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. This is my first Gueze, but I have had other sours (Berliner Weissbier and Flanders Reds.)

A - the bottle is corked and capped. After finally finding my corkscrew, i get the cap off and am met with a slight pop and the smell of dead skunks, but more on that later. No geyser! I rarity from my experience with Belgian sours. The beer pours a cloudy orange color, like shiny unoxidized copper. A tiny 0.5cm white head forms but it's gone by the time i walk the 10ft from the sink to my table.

S - dead skunks. Also, not your normal roadkill smell, this is definitely the smell of a skunk that's been rotting for a few days on the backroads (read: unpaved roads) of Southern Ohio during the summer. there's also a strong, strong lactic acid smell like a Berliner Weissbier. Hints of apples, grass, earth, and something funky other than the lactic acid (Brett?)

T - I am reminded of a pineapple horseradish salsa I tried a few years ago at the Ohio Deer and Turkey Expo. Upon first taste, the salsa was sweet, pineappley, but then there was a massive explosion of horseradish flavor that drained your sinuses and put hair on your chest. This beer had a similar thing going for it: at first taste, there's nothing, some sour fruit (apples, cherries), but then after about 1 second, bam! A massive buildup of a lactic acid flavor that essentially covers up, the grass, earth and skunk factor that becomes evident as the beer warms. There ain't no malt here. There ain't no sweetness either; the finish is ALL dry, very dry. Wow, this is sour and pungent.

M - I understand that these beers are force carbonated. I can tell. There's way too much carbonation going on here, but it actually seems to work for this beer because the tingling effervescence of the brew increases the astringency and pungency of the lactic acid.

D - This reminds me a lot of a Berliner Weissbier, but without malt and with fruit. It's not my favorite beer, it's not my favorite style, but I'll probably give another gueze a try one day.

02-14-2009 07:51:09 | More by bowersdm
MisterClean

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

At homebrewing meeting, part of style of the month.

A - Poured a golden-yeloow, with 1 fingered white head, which disappeared upon impact. What lacing?

S - Honey, caramel, sour brett, with notes of citrus and light alcohol.

T - Lots of sour bret, some caramel, citrus and slight bit of honey. No alcohol this time around.

M - Definitely malt dominated, which left notes of sweet and sour mixed. Very intriguing.

D - Definitely good, would like to up my samplings and spelling of the gueuze.

02-12-2009 05:52:05 | More by MisterClean
Hojaminbag

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A pretty light orange colored body with a healthy sized off-white head that shoots up the glass. Not a lot of lacing or retention.

The smell is all kinds of tart and sour. I also detect what a lot of people would deem a funky "horse blanket" or "barnyard" aroma. Definitely a gueuze here, gueuze aroma all the way through.

The taste, like the aroma, is also classic gueuze and very sour and tart. up front is puckeringly sour and is followed by some light, fruity notes that come through. Even the fruity notes are sour though. Next comes the "barnyard" type of flavor that I hate to describe with that word, but I'm at a loss right now how else to put it. The finish is slightly sour, but is by far the most mellow portion of the beer.

Mouthfeel is light and thin body. Slightly puckering, very smooth.

If you like sour, this one is pretty drinkable. Not terribly complicated, but tasty and smooth. Considering the price and availability of this one, it rocks, although flavor-wise it doesn't stack up against the best in class.

02-11-2009 03:55:46 | More by Hojaminbag
ckeegan04

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Clear golden yello. Huge, foamy dirty white head. Excellent retrention and great lacing. Lots of little bubbles quickly rising tro the top.

S - A very tart aroma up front with some underlying sour fruits. Some funkiness to the whole combination. I think this is one where some people would but sout 'barnyard'.

T - Strong taste of sour fruits up front. Lemon and hints of apple. Very musty in the taste. Clean and tart. The yeast is noticeable in the taste, but not overwhelming.

M/D - Light, fruity and very tart feel. Also on the dryer side. Incredibly drinkable.

02-08-2009 21:32:29 | More by ckeegan04
bonkers

I poured from a 750 ml bottle into a large snifter. It pours a pale, clear yellow with an abundant white head. Lacing is left everywhere. The aroma is sour, sweet and funky with a bit of alcohol thrown in. The flavor is tart fruit, maybe apples, with a dry finish. The beer is light bodied and highly carbonated. The beer is a slow sipper. This is my first gueuze so I was not sure what to expect. It was good for a change of pace, but I will need to try another for comparison purposes.

02-04-2009 22:35:43 | More by bonkers
JBogan

Nevada

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

A bright gold color fills the glass along with a good (for a gueuze) white head which sticks around a while and leaves nice lacing.

Smells of tart citrus tempered by a bit of mustiness.

Sour apples dominate the taste. In fact I couldn't really pick out anything else. Not as tart as most other gueuze's I've had. No sign whatsoever of alcohol.

Mouthfeel was typical for this style beer. Slightly thin, but with a fair amount of carbonation prickliness.

If you like gueuzes, this one is worth a try, especially if you don't like them really tart. Not sure I'd grab this one again though. For a few $ more you can do better.

02-01-2009 23:46:17 | More by JBogan
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

750ml brown bottle, corked and capped. Bottled in 2006, Best Before 2010, served cool in De Dolle Oerbier's long-stemmed goblet.

A: pours a bright, reddish golden to amber hue, composed of great clarity and rather moderate fizz level; the beer head comes retrained and settles gradually to a rim.
S: absolutely beautiful - savoury-sour notes of marinated starfruits, fresh lemon-juice & apples on a part with old oak-barrel's subtle aroma (French oak) spring to mind, leaving malts/wheat-malts' aroma, light notes of damp yeasts & stinky sulphur, and a whiff of hops behind. Incredibly approachable but well-integrated and reasonably complex at the same time.
T: savoury, tart as well as lactic-sour at the same time in the mildly effervescent swallow, hinting at aromatic lemon rind, leaving a faint trace of aromatic apple-skins, pears, and damp/tannic touches of old oak-barrels creep down the far end of the palate. Slightly bitter, tangy, and lingeringly savoury in the end, but not particularly tart and pungently yeasty as compared with many of its counterparts, while a delicate level of hop aroma in the very end provides an enjoyable "kick" to the dryish and clean finish! Balanced performance.
M&D: slightly spritzy and full of tiny fizz, the palate is therefore clean, refreshing and light, making this a really quaffable session geuze in my book! It's easy to drink the whole 750ml bottle, no sweat, but it takes some extraordinary elements to elevate this ale to the real exciting league.

01-31-2009 18:12:47 | More by wl0307
guthrie

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

I'm a sour freak, so take this with a grain of salt if you're not...

12 oz bottle poured into my trusty Duvel tulip.

Golden color, slightly hazy. This, yet sticky head.

Smell of barnyard Brett funk. Sour apple? A nice earthiness, yet bright.

Taste is a nice sourness. Lots of the funk. Some sour apple, but slightly more bread like(?). Sourness starts in the middle of the tongue and rolls back with the swallow. Punchy sour aftertaste. Light carbonation. It's almost the sourness of lemons, without the exact lemon taste.

Thin mouth feel. Light, small carbonation.

For me this is hella drinkable. I would, and could, drink this all night.

Even if you're not a huge fan of sours try it just to see what the Brett/barnyard thing is all about. It's a good representation of that.

01-27-2009 04:20:36 | More by guthrie
Keith238

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

750ml green bottle with natural cork. Bottled 02OCT07, marked best by 31DEC13.

A=Golden colored with a slight haze when poured into a snifter. Little to no head or lacing.

S= Fruity and tart aroma.

T= Apricot and lemon combine for a clean tart flavor.

M/D= Clean and crisp, I could drink this all night.

My first Gueuze and I'll be looking for others.

01-26-2009 03:17:24 | More by Keith238
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

355ml green capped and corked bottle purchased at the liquor store in Tyngsborro, Mass. Pours a crystal-clear golden body with virtually no head to speak of. Smells fruity and acidic. Tastes fruity sweet and acidic sour. Light in body with moderate carbonation. Very drinkable. I wish I had more to say about this beer, I really enjoyed it and it's the best Gueuze I've had thus far, and it disappeared more quickly that I would have liked.

01-26-2009 01:43:37 | More by MrHurmateeowish
stumac

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer has been recommended to me by some respected beer peeps...

it pours up a brilliant gold color with a nice fluffy white head. the nose is wood, tart fruits, sourness. the taste is tart as hell! it tastes the same as the nose but with a lot of lemon flavor, I get oak, it leaves a chewy feel on your teeth. a very smoothe brew, full bodied, medium smoothe carbo. A nice, sour treat.

01-21-2009 17:05:43 | More by stumac
midnite2sixman

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

355 ML bottle from Butch's in Holland, MI.

This bottle was poured into a goblet while listening to Know Your Rights by the Clash.

Pours a lightly hazy orange almost the same color as the label on the bottle.

Huge amounts of fruitiness, candy, and grapefruit on the nose. Sweet, light, and apricots also show up a bit. Reminds me of some type of orange/apricot candy I've had before but cannot put my finger on it.

A lot of fruit, tangerine and grapefruit, on the palate. Sour! Very light, very fruity, yet tart but it is quite a curious taste.

Very easy to drink and although I don't see myself buying a lot of Lindeman's myself I will highly recommend this to anyone trying a Geuze! Definitely fits in the style. Has to be one of the best in the category.

01-19-2009 08:20:27 | More by midnite2sixman
vancurly

Australia

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottled 07/08, BB 12/14.
Poured contents into Leffe chalice.

a) Inch thick white head, bubbles and crackles, and slowly sinks. Hazy pale orange.

s) Lemon sorbet from a foot away, other spicy tropical fruit, some funky moldy basement, damp hessian sack, cheese rind, nutmeg. Some hop leaf in there too. This is what it's all about. Top class, fascinating..

f) Big sour lemon hit up front, blue cheese on a lavoche cracker, some hung-beef gameyness, or venison even. Remarkable.... charcuterie & fromagerie in a bottle...

m) Very light, spritzig, but teeth-grittingly tart.

d) If I compare this with Timmermans Tradition Gueuze, I get two completely different ales. The former is fruity, cidery, simple and refereshing. This is challenging, sophisticated, and infinitely more interesting.

01-17-2009 10:11:29 | More by vancurly
kkipple

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Yeah, so it's a Lindemans product... never really cared for their "lambics", I mean, good dessert material but as representations of the style they seem cheap and candylike... still, I'm liking Gueuzes lately and couldn't pass this one up when I saw it in Atlanta...

Pours a very dull dense orange with a beautiful tight white head that is at least 5cm tall... quite nice... lacing is there, sits well in my goblet, looks fine to me... great retention... no issues here...

Smells pretty solidly Guezue-ish, maybe a little tame and simple, but the requisite sour/tart oak funk and lemon-citrus pale malt caramel coolness are there...acidic and lactic, a hint of apricots here... decent and pretty textbook, takes no chances, wins no awards, just clean and solid.

Taste is much the same vein... tart lemon funk with a hefty dryness to carry the day, mildly malty but absolutely not sweet. Cleansing, refreshing, eye-opening... lacks the complexity and character of say, Girardin, but then most Gueuzes do... easy and not as bracing as some, the funk is a little easy and it's almost smooth...a good into to the style, I say, and certainly a fine brew from Lindemans.

Mouthfeel is thin and a bit flabby, fine carbonation but not crackling, finish is dry and a continuation of the main flavor - tart and citric, adult.

Cuvee Rene is a solid Gueuze, a surprise from Lindemans for me and something I can recommend. For $10 a 750ml I would buy this again. How about it!

01-17-2009 05:09:10 | More by kkipple
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

Capped and corked 750 with gold foil, and a green bottle. Date code was 21/12/08 and it was produced in 2006.
Pours a beautiful clear gold color with a white head that subsides at a moderate pace. Plenty of bubbles cascading up from the bottom of the tulip.
The aroma is full of crisp granny smith apple, barnyard funk, and a dry bready character. Very nice and complex.

The taste begins with a rush of sourness that is intensified by the carbonation. It is nice and crisp reminding me of a dry champagne but it is much more complex with the sour/funk flavors going on this is a very refreshing beer.
Drinkability is very high once you get used to the sourness.
I think this is the best beer that Lindeman's makes and they should stop mixing good lambic like this into the overly sweet and syrupy fruity beers they make. This stuff is excellent.

01-06-2009 01:04:44 | More by RenoZymurgist
SLeffler27

A nice, creamy, white head floats above a hazy, light-amber beer in this chalice glass. Some rings of lace are deposited above legs as yeast sediment is suspended below.

Opens with fruity apples, followed by sulfur, cough syrup, and fresh, raw corn. A light perfume is cut by distant skunkiness.

Enters with very tart apple, followed by grapes and a long tart finish accompanied by spruce, vinegar and saltiness.

The thin body is very dry, with lively carbonation and some astringency.

Probably a digestive. Ranks high as a conversation starter. I knew my father would cringe, but I will have another someday.

date consumed: 29 Sep 2008

01-04-2009 21:50:09 | More by SLeffler27
yesyouam

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René is a highly sparkling golden beer with a thick, fluffy, slightly yellowed white head that has outstanding retention and leaves excellent lacing on the glass. The aroma is quite powerful and carries notes of funk, cheese, horse blanket, cave and mud. It is light bodied, fluffy and bubbly on the tongue. The finish is crisp and dry. It is very sour, musty and funky, with no noticeable sweetness. There are notes of champagne, bleu cheese and hay. It's a very bretty affair. The finish is full of green apples. It is tart through and through. What a unique beer!

01-01-2009 17:00:59 | More by yesyouam