Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
dwarvenspirits

4.78/5  rDev +17.2%

This was recommended by other BA's as a good start for getting my taste buds wet for lambic beer. And I must say they were right on.

Good carbonation. Think white head that dissipates pretty fast. Just a touch of lacing but not much. Nice deep golden color to it. Smell has some spicy/clove-like aromas in it. Nice clean malt aroma and no sourness at all in the nose, which really shocked me for a lambic.

Taste: very well rounded and smooth. Man, this was not what I was expecting. I was expecting a mouth-puckering sour attack on my palate, but it's not the case at all. There is a touch of tartness to it but it's smooth. There is no vinegar flavor in this at all which makes it even more drinkable in my opinion. I was simply shocked by this beer. It's the best sour/lambic beer I've ever had. There is some earthy, herbal flavors in it but it's hard to pin down.

Very nice. If you've never had a lambic I would recommend this one to start with. It's simply great!

12-21-2008 18:03:28 | More by dwarvenspirits
khiasmus

South Carolina

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Cloudy light orange with a finger of cream-colored head that drops to a wispy layer and ring in a few moments. Leaves no lacing on the glass.

The aroma... oh my.... intense, harsh brett sour in the back, along with a hint of crab apple, some lemon, harsh citrus-sour. Cat urine in there too, but little vinegar/horse sweat. The light sweet candi sugar note fights its way through the sour sometimes, but only in small whiffs. This aroma is freaking wonderful.

Flavor/mouthfeel. Harsh tannins bring a soft dryness, even in the middle of each sip. The sugar notes are there in the back, but the lemon sourness, and even the same feeling in the back of the throat as strong homemade lemonade, dominates. No cheesy notes at all, which is both a good thing and surprising for the style... very well done and hard to do. Finish is puckering, but in the middle of the throat. Honestly not an overly complex flavor, just incredibly good.

This is an excellent, affordable example of the gueuze style. Delicious. Highly recommended.

12-21-2008 04:31:06 | More by khiasmus
gdfan47

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

first off I know its cool to hate on this beer, I dig it.. its also ( im told) that its the cheapest gueze per ounce

A- an inviting yellow with a little bit of head and lacing
S- Tart, champaign like smell with some other fruit smells that are hard to pinpoint, very inviting with good carbonation
T- extremley refreshing, tart, slight sour apple, not overly sweet at all
M- pleasant, the carbonation is very nice and very smooth
D- very high in my book , I could drink this all day and the low abv is right up my dorky alley

hands down my favorite from Lindemens that I have tried so far

a great beer to enjoyed by fans of this style and also a gateway beer for people wanting to get into this style

12-12-2008 22:21:35 | More by gdfan47
DannyS

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Pleasantly golden color with a nice full head.

S - Not very powerful, but unique, winey aroma. Coincides with notes of crisp fruit

T - considering the Lindeman's beers I've had in the past, the sour punch of this one took me by surprise. Was initially turned off to it, but I stuck through it and it grew on me. I love sour flavors, and the bright, eye-opening fruity sour in this beer is a refreshing change of pace.

M - Slightly harsh on the palate, with its smoothness cut right through by the acid. Decent carbonation.

D - Definitely a one-at-a-time beer. I definitely enjoyed it, but you'd have to be nuts to drink more than one bottle of this beer at a time.

Overall, this one won't be for everyone, but it definitely warrants a tasting session.

12-07-2008 01:18:15 | More by DannyS
corby112

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a cloudy dark golden orange color with a thick foamy head. Funky tart aroma that is sweet, sour and vinuous at the same time with yeast and light crisp frruit notes. Sour and puckering with a nice amount of carbonation. Champagne-like with sweet crisp light fruits (apple, pear and grape) and a very dry sour finish. Acidic.

12-04-2008 06:48:10 | More by corby112
LilBeerDoctor

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Reviewed on 3/4/08. 750 mL bottle. Poured a light orange with a small white head. Aroma of barnyard funk, tart fruits. Taste was of tart raspberries and apple. I liked this one because it wasn't TOO sour and was easy to drink. An excellent gueuze. 8/4/7/4/15 (3.8/5)

12-02-2008 01:49:26 | More by LilBeerDoctor
yemenmocha

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours slightly hazy honeyed yellow color with white head.

Nose has fruity chalk, some cardboard (in a good way), and musty fruit.

Sour bomb on the palate, but that's expected with this style. Fruitiness reminds me of peach, apricot, and more. Finishes sour as well, but not overwhelmingly sour.

12-01-2008 05:11:22 | More by yemenmocha
Squelch

United Kingdom (England)

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Straw colored. Crystal clear. Effervescent Champagne like head.

Smell: Banana aromas shine through with the horsey brett aroma.

Taste: Sour tartness dominates. Very nice and tart. No sweetness. Excellent.

Mouthfeel: Puckering tartness is awesome in this beer. One of their best beers.

Drinkability: I was initally scared to drink this beer but after trying it am very impressed. I will definitely be drinking again.

11-25-2008 03:36:04 | More by Squelch
DavidSeanNJ

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

I have been searching for a great sour beer lately. I saw a couple of these on a shelf and decided to give it a try. Impressed? Hell yeah. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

***2006 Vintage***

A- Hazy golden color. Nice inch of head. Lacing is definitely there. Cool looking carbonation...

S- Popped the cork. Immediately got a huge whiff of earthy funkiness. Like herbs and medicine. Sour tart and the sweetest juice you have ever smelled.

T- Here is the best part. One sip and I was completely hooked. Sour sour sour sour sour. Did I say sour? Apples and tropical fruits. The same earthy funkiness from the smell was definitely all over my tongue at this point. I am HOOKED on tart flavors. Kept me coming back for more.

M- Carbonation. Tingly and really carbonated but completely appropriate.

D- I drank the whole bottle with complete ease. And I totally want another one. I will be buying the whole stores stock of this stuff. LOVE IT. BRING ON MORE GUEZE!

11-25-2008 00:42:16 | More by DavidSeanNJ
Overlord

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Underappreciated.

Pours as a golden tan, bubbly looking brew.

I am not a big Lindemans fan, but I went into this with an open mind ... and nose. The smell really reassured me. Funky, barnyard horse mustiness, and a bit of unripe apple/pear.

Flavor adds oak to the mix, but the same unripe apple/pear and barnyard funk notes that I detected in the aroma carry through. A noticeably sour beer, but one that isn't as overwhelmingly sour as other (much higher priced) beers. But, sour enough, and very unlike their other brews.

At only 10.99 a bottle, I may buy them out.

11-25-2008 00:28:23 | More by Overlord
SaCkErZ9

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to lithy, a great trader for this beer.

Poured from a capped and corked 12oz bottle into a snifter. Light golden in color with a small white head. Minimal amount of lacing.

Aroma is slightly sweet with a touch of hay and horse (I guess some people call it "barnyard funk". Sound good to me.). Certainly smells tarty and sour. A bit of floralness.

Really quite tart and somewhat salty. Kind of feels like I am drinking sea water. Taste is fruity. Green apples and lemon pith. Really tart.

I havent had too many Guezes but I really enjoy them. I enjoy the sour ones the most and this was pretty sour and tart. I really liked it. Best part is, it is light in alcohol so it is quite thirst quenching. Thanks again lithy.

11-20-2008 18:56:25 | More by SaCkErZ9
klewis

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Best by 2017

A: Pours a hazy golden with a one-finger, bubbly head. The head quickly dissipates with flares of lacing on the glass.

S: The usual gueuze funk (although somewhat subdued) with light aromas of citrus and tropical fruit.

T: Some funk with a mixture of minty and fruity flavors. Compared to others, this one is not nearly as tart and the flavors not as bold.

M: Light-bodied and quite fizzy and dry.

D: Compared to the others that I've had, this is like a gueuze with training wheels - which makes this a good one for those who are have not been initiated to intensely sour Belgians. Overall, it's good, but I'd rather have a Drie Fonteinen.

11-12-2008 00:06:56 | More by klewis
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.53/5  rDev +11%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

Nice hazy golden colored liquid, almost cloudy. One finger head of foam that dissipates smoothly to leave a nice filmy covering. Very good lacing.

Smell is powerful to the point of room-filling. Not that that's a bad thing, though. It's quite pleasant. Tart sour apples. Honey sweetness. Band-aid phenols. Slight pepperey spiciness.
Overall it smells like a nice big basket of tart fruits.

Man that is one good sour-bomb! Taste is very much like cider on steroids. Big, powerful and tasty. Definite sour apple presence. Light honey sweetness that brings a small bit of balance. Acidic presence of fresh squeezed lemons or slightly under-ripened peaches. Nice bit of spice on the back end. All wrapped up in a slight bit of musty funk.

Nice crisp and clean in the mouth. Nothing overpowering. Kind of unexpected for a sour, but quite enjoyable. Very satisfying and easy to drink.

Mmmm! This is one tasty, tasty bottle. Would like to have it over and over again. Very highly drinkable, as long as you aren't opposed to sours.

11-10-2008 18:55:02 | More by coldmeat23
nqualls

Kentucky

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

750 mL bottle corked and capped, with 2005 on the bottle.

Appearance: Poured a slightly hazy gold/orange color with a two finger white head. Lacing was abundant, but not the typical lacing I'm used to. Very random small patterns.

Smell: First notes are dank and musty, almost moldy. Fades into a tart aroma.

Taste: Initial flavor tastes like a good champagne to me. The quickly fades to green apples with pear notes and a lingering green apple flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very dry, with a light body and good carbonation.

Drinkability: I rated this low because I think this beer would be too much after a while.

11-04-2008 22:56:02 | More by nqualls
jasonjlewis

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a half finger head with decent retnetion and an effervesence that maintains itself throughout. Cloudy orange/yellow color.

A little bit of barnyard funk with a sour green apple smell.

Huge sour green apple flavor with a bit of barnyard funk. Hugely dry on the palate with a good amount of sour flavor. The intense dryness isn't puckering though. Very interesting style. I think I like it.

A criticism of the beer is that there isn't enough body behind the sour green apple flavor.

11-01-2008 01:30:15 | More by jasonjlewis
BeenJammin

Kansas

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Vibrant orange colour with a light orange head. This beer has a great feel to it already.
S - It has a tart, fruity aroma.
T - Very fruity, tart, dry, sour taste. Tastes like sweet tarts candy to me. Brings me back to my youth.
M - It has a splendid light body.
D - This is a great beer overall but I am not sure that it has great drink-ability for me. It seems like its tart flavour would start to rub me the wrong way after a few of these.

10-21-2008 03:17:47 | More by BeenJammin
champ103

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a cloudy golden/orange color. A foamy white head forms, but recedes fast. Some light sticky lace is left behind.
S: Some barnyard funk and hey. Light dough and biscuit aromas.
T: This is SOUR. To me this tastes like sour hard candy. I can't pick up any other flavors. Cloying sweetness.
M/D: Good carbonation. A light to medium body. The sourness really takes away from the drinkability.

Did I mention this was sour? I prefer Lindemans other gueuze to this (much more fruit flavors and depth IMO). It is still interesting, just not my cup of tea.

10-19-2008 03:40:15 | More by champ103
swizzlenuts

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Slightly orange with a head that doesn't stick around much. Pretty looking

S: Fruity and tart. Great for a Gueze

T: Stout and tart. The sourness comes through first followed by a pleasing tartness. The fruit taste lingers until the end. It's a great balance of all flavours.

M: A bit thin on the mouthfeel. It doesn't really help or hurt the beer.

D: For a gueze yes.

10-18-2008 17:32:40 | More by swizzlenuts
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Beer pours a dark golden color with a modest head. The aroma is citrus big time with some barnyard smells lying beneath. This beer is tart and sour. It brings flavors of lemon and sour apple. Acidic, dry, and puckery. Yet somehow I can set this drinkable brew down. A great beer. Definitely give a try if you have not had a chance.

10-16-2008 23:32:30 | More by BeardedBoffin
sobchack

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy, golden color with minimal white head that stays with you til the end. Aroma smells of tart citrus, sour apple, a bit of mustiness and funk. Great representation of the Gueze style. Taste is very good. Sour apple dominates the flavor for me with a bit of mustiness tucked in there. Mouthfeel is a little thin for my taste, although I haven't had a great deal of Guezues. Drinkability is great. I can't get enough of this and think it is a great introduction into the world of sours.

10-16-2008 16:31:07 | More by sobchack
beerthulhu

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a light golden orange color with a thin creamy white head. A noticeable amount of floaties and haziness was detected.

S: The nose brought forth some sour oranges, tart green apples and citrusy lemons on nose. A big funky barnyard sourness as well, that was full of sour fruit.

T: a nice yeastiness and barnyard muskiness of wet grains, hay, and sour fruit. There was a big tart and acidic nature to the beer with fresh squeezed lemons and some vinegar. Finishes with a big funky sourness from the yeast, sour apples and oranges, peaches, and lemon with some old bread notes.

M: Body is light, tart and acidic with a spritzy carbonation.

D: Complexity of flavor is okay but not a lot going on but is decent overall and best shared with a friend. .

10-13-2008 23:16:29 | More by beerthulhu
pweis909

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

2007 date on bottle.

A-Orangey, just to the yellow side of weak tang, with a finely bubbled fizz that persists only at the edges of the glass.

S-Faint pilsner malt aroma, with some medicinal overtones.

T-sharply tart, but some malt and mineral apparent if one swishes, near the finish.

M-Winey, champanois sort of mouth feel.

D- I am of two minds. Light body and tartness are at odds. The tartness is almost too much for me, obscuring the malt and the bretty characters.

09-30-2008 22:17:30 | More by pweis909
hwwty4

Missouri

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Capped and corked 750 bottle on 03/2007.

I poured this into my oversized Triple Karmeliet tulip using several pours. This is my first tango with a gueze so bare with me. The appearance is a hazy peach that burst forth a large white head that melts away into a gentle ring on the sides of the glass. This beer has a surprisingly think appearance. Even when held to the light, nothing will show through. The aroma is musty at first, then with tart citric notes that come fluttering in. There are also spicy notes that almost remind me of the nutmeg aromas from a pumpkin pie. The aroma is very complex but yet oddly straightforward. While it seems that there are many notes coming from the beer, with every new whiff something else comes through. All the aromas are straightforward. The taste is again musty up front with just a slight bit of funk. Then its cheek puckering citric tartness, the kind that hits you right behind the jaw. This is really good. The mouthfeel is crisp and very dry, with just a light carbonation that lends itself to the dryness. This is a great beer. Very well crafted by the brewers at Lindemans. Unfortunately, its not something I could drink everyday.

09-30-2008 20:44:57 | More by hwwty4
roadhouse

Poured from a 12 oz. corked and capped bottle of unknown date into a tulip glass.

Appears a slightly hazy golden color with a one inch white head. Leaves some big sheets of lace on the side of the glass.

Aroma is somewhat tart - reminds me of green apples and lemon zest. There is also a sugary sweetness below the tartness.

When the beer initially enters the mouth it seems like there is a mild sweetness but then right as I swallow more lemony sourness comes up followed by a green apple-like dry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, crisp with creamy carbonation.

This one's pretty good though I haven't much to compare to. Will continue to explore the world of sours.

09-24-2008 21:16:43 | More by roadhouse
peabody

Kentucky

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours out a really cloudy yellow with two fingers of white fluffy suds.
Smell is sour lemon peel and sour apple carmel sugar.
Taste is pure sour tannins and grape/cherry skins. Good taste all around. Not too much caramel and sugar but nice dark lemon and cherry flavors abound.
Mouthfeel is very clean and there is very little oily residue.
Drinkability will be high here. One can get this beer locally at Roof Brothers in Paducah.

09-20-2008 20:37:21 | More by peabody