Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden with a one finger white head that disappears almost immediately and leaves no lacing in its wake.

S: A blend of subdued funk and tartness up front, with lemon zest and some wheat notes.

T: Tartness is more apparent that the nose lets on, on an almost mouth puckering level up front. Funk blends with the tartness, followed by citrus and light fruit.

M: Moderate body with high carbonation.

D: Not overly sour and fairly refreshing. Probably wouldn't drink it again as there are other gueuzes I enjoy more, but definitely a good beer.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Presentation: Corked and capped bottle with tin foil covering. Poured completely from the bottle into a snifter glass.

Appearance: Pale orange in color. Lots of carbonation flowing toward the top of the glass. Almost no head after the pour. A little white lacing settles near the edge of the glass.

Aroma: Tart lemon and some barnyard funk. The funk and some pale malt are rather assetive here.

Taste: The lemon notes really stand out here. The sour notes are rather straightforward but really work well with the funkiness of the yeast. Nicely balanced. Clean aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Aggresively carbonated with a medium mouthfeel.

Drinkability: The flavors are intense and very upfront, but they are nicely balanced and work well together. The ABV is manageable and the mouthfeel works nicely.

Overall, a nice take on this style. Balanced with good sours notes. Nothing too complex but definitely something worth trying.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Date on back of Bottle: (L D08 HGCR)

Pours a slightly orange yellow with a tiny head.
Smell of funk, horseblanket , tart lemons and some citrus.

Taste very similar to aroma. More brett flavor than I had expected from Lindemans, and a solid overall Lambic taste. Citrus and lemon are the most pronounced flavors. Not quite as dry as other lambics, but also not quite as carbonated. My bottle may have been a one off, as it was relatively lowly carbonated and I see others have said their pours had a large head.

3.55/5  rDev -13%

375ml bottle poured into a chalice

fluffy white head reduces to a collar on top of a hazy gold body of liquid. Smell is acidic, green apples, pear, pretty clean smell. Not really funky. Taste is moderately sour up front then changes to sweet apples. Sweaty, fatty and lactic. Finishes dry and a little tasteless. Refreshing for the style and easy to drink.

Not infinitely complex nor is it one dimensional. Very good value and a good place to start when you want to ease your way into the style.

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

A-Pours a hazy, honey colored orange/yellow with a one finger, white head.

S-Whew! This one is musty and funky as all hell at first. The must and funk fade into a predominantly lemon and a bit of funk scent.

T-Tart lemon and a bit of sour, funky notes to it with some earthiness on the finish.

M-A little thin feeling and watery in the mouth with heavy carbonation.

D-The musty character is hard to get by at first. The thin watery mouthfeel is also something I'm not really a fan of, but I would be willing to give Gueze another shot.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

375ml bottle from 41st Ave Liquors in Santa Cruz, CA. Paired with some 5 year old gouda. My first gueuze -- taking advice from the forums to start with this one.

A - Huge 3-4 finger head on the initial pour. Recedes to a thin cap with plenty of patchy lacing around the glass.

S - Lots of citrus, a bit of mustiness and funk. The stinky cheese REALLY sets this off.

T - Orange zest, lemon, and funk in the front. Tastes like the barnyard a bit, some dust in the middle, and then a hint of some berries in the back with more citrus. Very yummy. And the gouda is only helping to bring out some of the background flavors in this one.

M - Medium body with a light and dry finish. Not heavy in any way, doesn't really coat the mouth, and just glides down the throat easily.

D - Off the charts for me. It's just dry enough, and the citrus really makes this feel refreshing. I immediately wished I had bought another one. Like others have said, it would be a great daytime beer. I'd love to try this with some seafood in the backyard this summer. A little pricey for sessioning but I could still drink a ton of this.

Overall, my first gueuze has me wanting to try lots more of them. I can tell where a lot of my time (and money) will be going in the near future.

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Bottled in Dec. 2009

Pours a hazy pale golden color with an off white head that fades quickly leaving almost no lacing around the glass.

Smell is musty, lemon, and a bit citrusy.

Taste is fantastic! Very well balanced and easy to drink. Some Gueuze and lambic can be very tart and dry making it a chore to drink, not this one. Sits on the palate nicely also. Upfront is a big hit of orange and lemon tartness, followed by an apple sweetness. Has a musty flavor in the middle. The end of the beer is a bit like a strawberry that isn't quite ripe yet. The finish is of course dry but not an overpowering one.

Overall a nice little beer that I'm proud to have plenty of access to. It seems like it may be a little to fresh right now, I'm sure with some age this could be an outstanding beer.

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

Picked up a bottle from Abe's for $10.50 and split it with friends. This isn't a big ripping gueze like some of the legends. Rather, this is a touch more balanced and approachable. While the aroma has a mix of spice and farmhouse funk, the aroma is gentler with sour, tangy lime and a hint of sugar. Worth a try or a decent introduction to the style.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

355ml bottle into Duvel tulip. LL 01HGUCR 0614 might indicate the bottled on date, but I neither understand it nor really care to (if it's "fresh", great, if it has a few years on it post being bottled, also great).

Appearance: Free pour yields a half inch fizzy white head that quickly dissipates into a lasting foam ring around the surface of the beer and leaves no lacing (nor does the beer). Pours a hazy yellow/amber.

Smell: Effervescent, yeasty, and tart. Sour apple and lemon. A little fainter than I would like.

Taste: First sip: aggressively tart and sour with lots of popping carbonation up front for a few seconds, then quickly transitions into a musty, creamy flavor that tastes oak aged. The tart/sour flavor seems to be characterized by apple, green grape, and lemon. Each sip is a little different; sometimes it's all sourness and fruit, others it's light tartness up front followed by a long deep and musty finish. That occasional musty creaminess has a bit of a strawberries and cream character to it. Overall, the flavor is very interesting, well-balanced, and delicious.

Mouthfeel: On the lighter side of medium bodied, with lots of welcome carbonation. Obviously, quite puckering from the sourness, but not overboard.

Drinkability: Extremely refreshing beer. I can't imagine ever turning one of these down on a hot day.

I can see why so many people suggest this as an intro to gueuze. It's a masterfully crafted beer, with excellent balance and distinct, delicious flavors.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Pours a clean, crisp golden hue. With bubbles rising to the top to form a minimal head, that is gone rather quickly.

S: Lime/lemon squeeze. People say funkiness, this is my first beer from this style, but I can say I agree. Not exactly sure what this smell is, but I like it.

T: It has a sour crispness to it. My first sip brought me back to when I was a kid sucking on warheads. I wasn't sure it would be so utterly tart, yet so delicious. I can't pick up all the flavors though.

M/D: Smooth and crisp. This is my first gueuze, and I have to say I like it. It is very complex, for me anyway. I keep tasting, trying to slowly piece it together. I can tell why people say this is the next style up from ipa/dipa, complex and intriguing.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

The brew pours a cloudy golden hue with beautiful carbonation that leaves a very frothy three finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is aromas of mould,dust,wet socks,fresh green apples and freshly cut green grass,it has a pretty light mouthfeel that is made for more than one of and has tastes of green apples,green grapes,kiwi fruit and finishes very sour and tart,overall this would be a great brew to drink on a hot summers day and even though on first taste its quite sour and mouthpuckering it does get better and easier to drink just couldnt drink it all the time,very intesting and different though.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

A typical 750mL corked bottle in a Lindemans - Merchant du Vin flute.

This beer looks like thick gold (if that makes any sense to you). This is what TV tells you beer should look like. A thick golden color, with a perfect fizzy white head.

The smell is quite tart and sour, but not citrusy. Something else all together, yet something I cannot identify. I suppose in the future I'll identify this smell to this beer.

Wow! That is unlike anything else I've ever tasted. My first Gueuze, and I'm blown away. This is tart, sour, acidic, and amazingly dry and refreshing. The Lindemans flute is a small glass and I have to slow myself down. I could easily drink this whole bottle in 10 minutes. As the beer warms the taste stings my tongue longer and with greater intensity. Now it is sipping time.

It is tough to judge the mouthfeel on this one, the beer attacks my tastebuds leaving my other senses slightly numbed. The beer does feel light on the tongue, however.

Dry beers tend to give me heartburn, so I would rule this out would when it came to regular drinking. However if I found a way to get around this peculiar genetic oddity I would like to think I could drink this beer on a regular basis. Today is a hot and muggy day, and I can think of no better beer than a low alcohol, light and dry Belgian ale for a day like today.

2.83/5  rDev -30.6%

appearance is very light and amber in color.

smells a little tart with hints of wild berry and citrus

taste is very intense, overwelmingly tart and sour. i could not palate the drink. i dont see how some people describe this with a funky oak taste, leather, (although i didnt taste that)and sour fruit and still enjoy it but to each there own.

mouthfeel was good, very carbonated with a sharp clean feel.

drinkablity is low i would not likly drink more than one.

i would venture to say that it takes a very sophisticated palate to enjoy this beer.

Pours a medium gold with a pretty standard head that leaves ok lacing. The aroma is pretty strait up sour with just a touch of lactic musty basment aroma. The flavor is quite similar. Very sour with less lactic than in the nose. There is also a fairly non-descript sweet malt presence that plays well off of all that sour. This beer really reminds me of a dry white wine more than any beer I have had so far. There also seem to be some faint spice and citric acid notes. Mouthfeel is light and dry with just the right amount of carbonation. A great refreshing beer for this 90 degree day of homebrewing

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a tulip glass. Beer is yellow and slightly hazy, forms a white head of small bubbles, steady carbonation of tiny bubbles.

Aroma is super pungent -- in a gueuze good way. Sulfur and sourness, acetic and lactic.

Flavor is not as harsh as you may assume from the aroma. Medium to light in body, good carbonation in the mouth, acetic and lactic sourness. Nice connectivity.

This is an excellent gueuze. If you factor in cost and availability, its an amazing example. I would recommend it to anyone wondering what this whole gueuze thing is about. Its not the best I've had but its really really fine. I would recommend it, I would buy it again, and I would drink it again for sure.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Hazy dark golden, good initial head.

Fruity aroma like apples, with a lemon sourness.

Apples and grapes are apparent, as is honey. Sour twist at the end, like lemon, a bit like orange juice.

Medium-light body, some bubblyness.

My first Gueuze. Initially impressed, but the sourness got to be a little tiring towards the end. Overall enjoyed it, but an acquired taste I suppose.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Let's go sour right now. Pucker up! On to the beer:

A pale orange color that shines brightly, almost like the color of an oktoberfest or amber ale. When then entire bottle is poured in, the yeast comes along and gives the beer a darker orange look. The head is soapy on top, but has been holding on top. Aroma is mouthwatering. A little musty, but bursting with sorts of tart fruits. It's like Sweet Tarts. And a little side of malt.

It goes from tart to sour. I'd place the sourness around average for the style, maybe a touch lighter than that. This one has more of a sour lemon flavor than that of apple. I'm also getting some sour/tart berries into the picutre. There's enough oak/wood to muscle itself into the tasting notes. Something weird is in that Lindemans yeast strain, and it's characterist can be found in all of the beers I've tried. Don't worry, I like it a lot. Light bodied, just a touch light.

Lindemans makes good stuff, and Cuvée René is just another reason why. And as a bonus, this gueuze is "affordable".

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

bottled date of 21/12/08

The color of this pours a hazy orange apple cider color. High carbonation is immediately apparent with a big white foam that dissipates quickly. I would like to note that salivation occured just at the sight of this beer.

Aromas on this beer are quite complex. If dry is an aroma than this beer has it. It seems to suck the humidity out of the air around it. Ironically, the actual aromas I could pick out were of wet clothes or autumn and an apple orchard at the end of the season when the apples on the ground are just beginning to decay. Doesn't sound very appetizing but it's just so interesting.

The taste and mouthfeel work hand in hand. The brut champagne feel draws all the moisture out. It starts with a sweet apple taste but just for a split second and then the dryness hits in unison with a sour apple and lemon flavor. This is backed up by a deep earthy flavor that reflects all the aromas with a slight oak finish.

My initial impressions of this beer were actually not very good. It was so strange and mildly unpleasant at first. However, when I finished the first glass, my mouth watered for a second and since it was out of a lambic glass, a third and fourth. Definitely a beer to be experienced though you may not like it!

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Notes from 2008. Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: A foamy creamy solid two finger head that is white. The color of the beer is light yellow with light amber highlights. There is a lot of carbonation in the beer. The clarity is clear with some haziness. There is some yeast particles in the glass. The head is leaving some lacing on the glass.

Nose: A rich honey, citrus, hay, barnyard like aroma. There is a sour lemon aroma also.

Taste: Very lemony, straw, hay, a subtle hint of flowers, and honey.

The mouth feel is very sour, bitter, and very dry.

Overall: The body of the beer is light with a full blown sour finish. This is one of the most memorable time drinking a beer. I was totally taken off guard by the way this beer presented itself on my palate. I will seek this beer out again and age it for several years and see how it plays out in the future.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

A - light orange, clear, low, but persistent white head, some lace clings to the glass.

S - clean lactic tartness, fruity, light wood,

T - smooth sourness, well rounded funk, tangy fruitiness, earthy/woody

M - drying/puckering finish, light body, med high carbonation, really dances in the mouth

D - lots of sourness and dryness, yet surprisingly smooth

Pretty nice stuff, no screwing around here. It wouldn't call it bone dry like a Cantillon, but it certainly aint sweet. Definitely one of the smoother "real" lambics I have come across.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene 750ml bottle capped and corked. 5% alcohol. Purchaced from The Beer Exchange Charleston SC. Poured into a German Strange.

A- Pours a heavily active three plus inch head that eventually falls to a half inch bubbley froth leaving patchy lacing on glass.

S- Fresh lemon zest and sour fruits upfront with mild but appearent sweet white grapes.

T-M- Taste is a great Gueuze sour note of sour apples and white grapes followed by tart yeasty malts. Puckering tart is exactly what I was looking for in this beer and i found it. Mouthfeel is mouth watering tartness leaving a refresh tongue ready for more.

D- I could put down pint after pint of this good brew. Haven't found nearby but ill try.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a bright and clear gold color with a nice big fluffy white head.

Aromas are vinegar like, with some lemon zest, and general mustiness.

Super dry tasting, sour, and tart with a lemon flavor. Finish is crisp, with a creamy slight sweet candy like note. Definitely a beer that will make you pucker, but it's not overly sour.

Nice mouthfeel. Very full and nicely carbonated.

Very nice easy drinking sour. And my first gueuze. I dig it, and will enjoy sipping the rest of the bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A sour odor and tart, like a cellar that will make you think up the sheet of glass above and a mouth tart winey acid on the tongue and in enduring aftertaste. The taste of pure lambic explodes in the mouth of a powerful acid. One senses, slightly behind, touches of white pepper and a final rhubarb still green. A lambic couples perfectly mastered that combines tradition and taste.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a great beer to get started with the gueuze style. Pours a hazy orange yellow very thin head plenty of carbination with lots of tiny bubbles rising to the top.

Smell definate funk tartness slight apple.

Taste is sour apple/ lemon.

Mouthfeel definate sour with some puckering but not overwhelming.

Drinkability is nice a definate must have for someone looking to get into this style.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Pours cloudy yellow with a big, white frothy head that dies down quickly. There's a moderate level of carbonation and a layer of bubbles consistently covered the surface.
S: There's a pleasant earthy aroma of wild yeasts with some notes of sourness. The smell is intriguing and invites you to take a sip.
T: The taste is sour, but the tart and acidic flavors are not in any way overpowering. The taste becomes more balanced as the beer begins to warm up.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and the level of carbonation lends smoothness.
D: It's strikingly drinkable for a gueuze and isn't overly sour, however this is probably a beer you want to sip.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans