Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Picked up on a whim from a local store...and was pleasantly surprised! Poured from a "magnum"(I think it's called) heavy duty 750ml bottle into my Lindeman's champaigne glass. Pours a hazy watery golden color, with little fizzy white head. The head retention is week, and leaves no visible lacing. Even long after pour, and drinking commences, carbonation continues to fuzz through with tiny little bubbles.

The aroma is musty for sure! Very funky and Brett like. A slight crimp lemon, and no booze noticable...and that's about it.

MMM...very tasty and enjoyable. Extremely funky...fizzy/carbonated, tart. Again, not boozy at all. Very crisp, smooth, and light body. I'm not picking up much of a fruit taste at all...if I was too stretch it, I'd say lemon. But that's probably due to the tartness. Best Lindemans beer by far...to date! Way to go Lindemans!

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a lightly hazed glowing golden colour. Head is an amazing adventure in white frothy bubbling, leaving sticky lacing down the edge of the glass. Surprisingly, the carbonation is hidden or even absent. Otherwise, a very fine looking brew.

Sharp acidity and huge funky wild notes on the nose. Citrus, barnyard and crushed vegetation. Extremely fresh, acidic and forthright. Very expressive on the nose. You can tell this is going to be a rambunctious lambic.

Palate is unfortunately something of a let down. Slight antiseptic medicinal phenols with a mild acidity through the centre. Quite dry throughout, and it lacks something in body and complexity. Oak shavings and wine cork are present, but I was expecting slightly more acidity. Still, it is a very fresh flavoured and very drinkable brew.

Extremely refreshing, and probably more drinkable for its seeming lack of acidity. It gets a little caustic after a while, but you can't beat a beer like this on a hot afternoon. Would have to be one of the cleanest and most refreshing beers I've ever had. Certainly worthy as an occasional treat.

I poured into my closest semblance to a flute (a 250ml Carlsberg glass). I got a fizzy white head that was gone in 60 seconds. It is gold in color. The smell is like a wet rag left in a musty basement initially. It reminds me of mold and mildew. Then I get some sour apple, pear, white grapes. The taste is light and tangy up front. Then comes the sourness. It's a sour orange flavor. I get a little funk on the aftertaste. It is a little watery but with the lingering sourness, it works nicely. I wouldn't drink this every day, but it is a nice change of pace.

Sante!

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a murky golden straw with a slight fizzy white head.

Aromas of sweat, horse blanket, and a lot of lemon juice, with a strong wet basement undercurrent. Typical funk, but brightened and sweetened by the lemon quality.

Fruity on the palate, showing pear and lemon. Sweet on the whole, finishing with a bit of sugar. Mouthwatering and still funky. Light to medium in body, and somewhat cloying. Sweeter than I'd prefer, but seems like it'd make a good introduction to gueuzes.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Pungent sour apple aroma. Pours cloudy and golden with a large, fine head that dissipates very quickly with no lacing at ll. Taste is sour and funky but still somehow pleasant in that makes your cheeks hurt kind of way. Thin and fizzy on the palate; champagne like with a dry, sour finish. It's actually pretty good but I suspect one or two a year would be plenty.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from the bottle into my Stone IRS Snifter

A - Golden color with a big white head, lots of bubbles, hardly any lacing on the glass

S - Smells a little funky like most of thi style with a hint of sweetness, Also strangely reminds me of the smell of salami

T - Starts sweet and finishes with a good sour kick

M - Reminds me of champagne, very carbonated, light body

D - Easy to drink but the sour flaovrs make you want to take your time. I don't think I could drink more than one of these at once but I wouldn't mind having another one in the future!

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance - Poured into my Bell's tulip with a murky brown/orange color and about a finger of quickly dissipating head that leaves virtually no lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Tart and sour apples, pears, and green grapes. This is immediately followed by a barnyard funk/musty aroma.

Taste - Wow...I barely get a drop on my tongue and my whole mouth begins to pucker and water because of the intense tartness. I can easily pick up apple right away, and there is a definite note of pear flavor that comes in after the stronger apple begins to fade. There is an overall mustiness to the drink that does not kick in per say, but is more so always prevalent.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, loads of carbonation, and finishes extremely dry and crisp.

Drinkability - Definitely a sipper. I only got a 375ml and I think that should be enough for me. There is a bit of an acidic bite to this and I have a feeling this may affect me later on. But I must say this is a refreshing beer that has great flavor and sure wakes you up with its sour/tartness. I would have this again in the future.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

750ml capped and corked bottle picked up at Hop City in Atlanta.

A- Pours a crystal clear light orange/copper. White fizzy head dies down to a nice ring and stays as I drink.
S- A little bit of hay, general barnyard funk. Nice grassy earth like tones. Subtle.
T- Light lactic acid type sourness, not overpowering. Only complaint is that it lacks a realy complexity that would throw it over the top.
M- Light, crips, refreshing. Spritzy and highly carbonated. Dry. Very nice.
D- Despite the lack of complexity I have no issues putting down a 750ml bottle myself. The light body and not over-the-top sourness makes it easy to drink.

Overall - I've had this beer quite a few times but haven't gotten around to reviewing it. A great gueuze, and a STEAL at $10/bottle. Highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a Leffe glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice slightly hazy golden color with no head. Almost looks like apple juice.

Smell: Funky, musty smells with hints of sour apple.

Taste: Tart, sour apple, slight funky taste with small traces of chardonnay.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and dry.

Drinkability: My favorite of all of the Lindemans that I've had. Very taste gueuze that doesn't have the artificial syrupy taste of the others. Overall a decent sour beer for about $6 that I will definitely have again.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

G – Snifter, flute, tulip. In a bitter contest, flute wins over snifter.

A – Hazy orange-yellow, brassy, with a quickly receding head and no lace. Ehhh.

S – Sour and tart apple, pear and peach, some sweet chardonnay oak; at very moderate levels for a Gueuze.

T – Wood, cork, lightly tart and sour. The woody notes are somewhat pronounced, but are generally mild, like oaked California chardonnay. Though it tastes good, it has too little carbonation, too little punch. I am underwhelmed.

M – This beer has the body and aroma of Champagne, but not the proper pleasantly prickly carbonation.

D – Very likable beer, in general. It is not exceptional within its stylistic realm, but it is very solid and certainly quite exotic to the uninitiated. But for me, I would always take Oude Gueuze, Girardin, or Boon over this.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

375ml bottle, at Beer Bistro in DT Toronto - weirdly unavailable back home in Alberta - I'm sure that will change.

This beer pours a hazy pale golden amber colour - very reminiscent of fresh-squeezed apple juice - with two fingers of loosely foamy, generally soapy off-white head, which leaves some spotty, cloud-like lace in its fairly slow and meandering wake.

It smells of sour earthy yeast, tart fresh lemon juice, and only a hint of pale grainy malt, with an echo of the hops that were. The taste is quite tart, due to a mostly indistinct citrus (lemon, mostly, I guess) extract, some sour, mildly skunky yeast, and an underlying pale, grainy white malt.

The carbonation is mild, and rather frothy, the body a certain light weight, with a fairly dry and peckish smoothness. It finishes dry as a bleeding desert, the yeast and sour, acidic fruitiness lingering in kind.

For its particular frontal assault on the tongue, this is a decently sippable (somewhat), sour lambic, just a tad less egregious than the Cantillons of the world. I am slowly coming to discover that I actually kind like this sort of thing, in measured doses.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: nice medium golden color with a few fingers of crisp white head. There's a little cloudiness and a bit of apparent effervescence which round out the nice picture.

Smell: somewhat sour, musty aroma. This is my first plain gueuze, so I don't have much with which to compare it, but it smells good to me. I get an after-aroma which smells rather like black tea to me, which I do like. It is interesting.

Taste: very bright and tart. Malt flavor is hidden at first but comes through in the end and is a little sweet, a little dry and a little musty. I must say I quite like this, and possibly prefer it to any of the Lindemans flavored lambics, which tend to be cloyingly sweet. Quite good.

Mouthfeel: light-medium body but with huge carbonation which creates a deliciously creamy brew. I'm a big fan.

Drinkability: quite high. I find sour beers highly refreshing, and this is no exception. Since it doesn't have the strong fruit flavoring of some lambics, it refrains from being one-dimensional as some of the more subtle flavors can come through. I quite like it.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a stem tulip.

Very clear golden colour reminiscent of a good quality cider. Starts off with a good head which quickly disappears completely. Very musty smell, tart apples too. More apples in the flavour along with a puckering sourness. An acquired taste for sure.

Light to medium body with plenty of carbonation. For me, a difficult one to drink - almost have to steel myself for the next sip.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Poured out a clear, very bubbly, golden-yellow color with a small, white head of bubbly foam. It left little to no lace on the fluted glass.

S - It smelled funky with a farmhouse-like, horse blanket aroma. There was also a phenolic/band aid smell, too.

T - It tasted fruity with notes of apple and pear. It had a good deal of funkiness and sourness, too.

M - This is one of the driest beers that I've ever had. It was light and very crisp. However, the sourness made it a slow sipper.

D - This is a very good beer. It was my first gueuze and I really liked it.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

This is different. My first Gueuze.

First impression as it poured in to a tulip glass was very favorable, golden, slightly hazy beer with a thin golden head. The head disappeared quickly with virtually no collar or lacing.

Strong, but not entirely pleasant nose. Really like a lime coolaid, so mostly an artificial smell. Didn't detect the funky horse blanket that others have.

Taste is OK, nothing I would spend much time searching for again. The mouthfeel is OK and the beer is well balanced, but the overall impression is again of artificial lime flavors.

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a light hazy yellow with small white head that fades rather quickly. Looks bubbly and well-carbonated. Smell isn't exactly my style, maybe because I'm not too educated in gueuzes, but I'm not a huge fan. Some good lemon notes and grassy notes are there, but (is there brett in here?) there are also other notes that don't appeal to me much--armpit and must. I tend to prefer the funky flavor/aroma to the sweaty one. Taste however is pretty good. This one is puckeringly tart with some crisp lemon zest flavor. It really slaps you in the face. There's a bit of pale malt behind it too. I feel like I'm more of a fan of the sour/vinegar side of the spectrum rather than the tart side of the spectrum. Not bad at all, though. Light body, big carbonation, like champagne, kind of. Good drinkability, though I can't see me having more than one. Good intro to gueuzes for me.

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Presentation - Poured into Chimay goblet

Appearance - Very brown-orange copper color with large, but slightly fizzy head

Smell - Very tart, a lot like sour apples

Taste - Very fruity, yet sour

Mouthfeel - Light to medium bodied with a dry finish

Drinkability - A bitter beer, not something to be gulped

Overall - Its alright for what it is, but its not quite my style

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Slightly hazy golden colour. Effervescent with a lovely, tight white mousse for a head. Quite good.

Slightly tart aroma with some nice brett funk. Some light fruitiness is pleasant with some citrus and apple. Very good.

Quite tart yet well balanced. Unfortunately the balance seems to come from a nothingness. No perceived bitterness. On the whole it isn't bad but it's a little bit "empty" and lacks something special.

Medium-light body with very high carbonation. Very dry and a bit puckering.

This isn't a bad gueuze especially for the price. Nonetheless other examples such as Cantillon Classic Gueuze are more satisfying and provide a better experience.

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

A-pours a golden yellow white a generous white head and explosive looking carbonation
S-a nice tartness fruitness (apple and pear notes) with a musty edge and a yeasty character
T-the tartness is immediate which is complimented by a slew of flavors; apple, pear with a pronounced mustyness which yeast prevalent in the background a bit of an acquired taste though
M-medium body with a lively almost champagne level of carbonation makes it very crisp and refreshing
D-this beer very drinkable and very refreshing but being that its a gueze its has a rather acquired taste

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

From a supermarket here in Brussels, so it's on the fresh side. Poured with nice fine, foamy off white head that shortl settled down to the edges of the glass and a little lace. Color is a hazy amber. Aroma is nice and of peaches, spices, armpit sweat, musk, yeast, and champagne. Flavor's very similar but dominated by tartness. There's just the barest hint of sweetness in there somewhere. Body's ok and carbonation is almost like sparkling wine. Finish is a very early green apple. Great beer, but can't drink a lot.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I drank this from a 375ml bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a cloudy orange/gold with a very light white head that rises about a finger and fades quickly. There is very light lacing.

The aroma is pretty light and its mostly musky tart horse blanket.

The taste is ok, not overly complex. It starts pretty neutral, not much flavor at all. It fades to the end with a bit of tart, but you really don't get much of a tartness until after you swallow where you are hit with some tart.

The feel is so-so.

For a gueze its pretty drinkable because you're ont overwhelmed with flavor, but I don't think you'd necessarily want to drink it because its pretty boring.

Overall, a pretty average to below average gueze. Its not complex, or overally flavorful so this might be a good one for beginners of lambics.

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly cloudy deep golden color with a bubbly white head that recedes quickly to a cap on top.
Smells of citrus fruits, I pick out lemon right away but there are sour cherries and possibly apricots in there as well. There's a tart lactic sourness on the nose, some horsey aromas in there as well. This smells wonderful.
Taste is tart and puckering, like chewing on that lemon you got with your water. With every sip I can feel the acid as it travels down on it's journey to my stomach. I am going to be paying for this one tomorrow. Tart and semi dry with a bit of barnyard funk in the finish.
Lactic acidic mouthfeel, high level of carbonation, medium to thin body. I would have loved a bit more body. This is one sour brew. I think it smelled a lot better than it tasted but it didn't taste half bad. I certainly couldn't drink to many of these, but for Lindemans this one impressed me.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Nice looking brew, poured into a tulip glass. Nice slightly cloudy golden color with a fair sized just off white head that has good retention. I am picking up wheat malt mixed with a nice sour tart fruit like aroma, slightly funky, very inviting. The flavor is nice, thought it might be a little more sour based on the nose but the tart fell is very welcoming. Has a lemon citrus flavor that seems to mix well with the wheat flavors I pick up. Also a funky flavor is there that seem more like a farmhouse flavor which goes well with everything. The carbonation goes a long way with the feel, almost champagne like, dry finish. This is a nice brew, I like the sours but have not had many Gueuze's but will have to look for more.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

From a 75 cl.

It pours a slighly amber wheat gold. There is decent carbonation but no real head. Barely anything but the bubbles you can see rising from the bottom of the glass. Its not totally clear but close.

It smells wheaty and malty, but very light. There is citrus tartness to it. It is NOT sweet smelling at all, and also NOT bitter at all.

The taste is similar to the smell. Wheaty and very tart. No sweetness. The tartness borders on vinegar, but its not as gross as that sounds; in fact, not at all to me. The more I think about it, the more a tart but smooth white wine comes to mind. Perhaps the slightest hint of bitterness at the tail end.

Feels thin, very mild carbonation.

Goes down real easy if you enjoy the taste. This would actually be a very easy beer to gulp in warmer weather and could also be nursed for a long time as it doesn't wear out its welcome at all. No aftertaste to speak of save for a lingering tartness. If you like this style or Flanders styles, you will really appreciate this.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

The beer had a light, clear golden amber color and was mildly carbonated. The head was not thick.

The smell was fairly sharp and extremely champagne-like. I couldn't detect any malt or any other typical beer characteristics in the smell.

The first thing I noticed about this beer was the stricking acidity. However, it was not overpowering and the taste dissolved slowly into a pleasant finish. The main taste was apple (Granny Smith maybe), but on the front of the tongue, there was a touch of cedar and grape.
The apple and acidity were a little bit too strong for this beer and could have used a bit more balance, but only a little.

It felt as if the beer evaporated within my mouth as I drank it and was reasonably refreshing, not drying.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans