Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Opened the bottle and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Pours a clear golden yellow color with a relatively thick, rocky, off-white colored head that has some excellent lacing.

The aroma is a good indicator of what I'm in store for when I take a swig. Very tart and dry. Tart green apples, earthy, pungent sour aromas assault my nose with a definite funkiness lingering in the sinus cavities.

The flavor hits me up front with a tart green apples, a definite sourness compliments the beer through the entirety of the drink, but it also some sweet grain flavors and finishes very dry and tart. Leaving a thick layer of mucus on the very back end of the palate. Doesn't sound appetizing, but dang its good!

Medium light bodied, with ample carbonation. I personally have always loved sours, so I was not surprised that I enjoyed this beer as much as I did. So smooth and delicious despite the funk, sour and tartness it really gets my mouth watering. Considering the low ABV this is highly drinkable.

Soneast, Mar 09, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Date on label says: 15 NOV 2007

Picked this one out because, well, i've never had this style and wanted to try it.
Capped and corked got me a little weirded out to start with, but okay here it goes

Poured this into my lost abbey tulip glass
A - bright gold with a sizeable white head that filled the glass and looked to be pretty thick, then fell quickly leaving no lacing around the glass.

S - Citrus and sour with a trailing off smell of funky that i'm learning to enjoy a bit more

T - Sour and sour with a bit of funk at the end again

M - Carbonation is a bit high for my liking, kinda smooth but in a champagne kind of way

D - Not bad for my first gueuze, but not my favorite style. I'll try one of these again, but it won't be for a while.

SirChugsAlot, Mar 02, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

About time i reviewed one of these bad boys.

Pours a clear yellow with slight orange tint and a fizzy white head that does not stick around for very long.

Nose is good horseblanket farm funk wild yeast. Some tartness is apparent in the nose for sure. a bit of fresh white fruit too, crisp apple.

Taste is a mirror image. Crisp green apple and good stanky funky horseblanket flavors right off the bat. Incredibly dry on the finish, with great tartness throughout. Aftertaste is farm funkage and dry apple. Some slight pepper in here as well, very slight.

Mouthfeel is pretty much right where it should be. Carbonation is a touch high, but this is expected in gueuze from time to time. Viscosity is just right. Great dryness on the finish and aftertaste.

Drinkability is where this one shines. A perfect medium between tart and sour makes this one a very drinkable gueuze. A tiny bit high carbonation makes it that much more slammable as well.

Overall, this is certainly the best beer in Lindeman's regular lineup. A solid gueuze that I'm sure gets less attention than it deserves because it is from the notorious sweet panty peeler lambic producer that we all know and give to girls. This however, is a solid representation of the style, and is not one to be neglected, a good gueuze for sure.

AKBelgianBeast, Feb 18, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Reviewed 9/13/2007 (bottle):

Pours a cloudy yellow fizzy. White head, small bubbles. Kinda looks like champagne. Very sour aroma, like rotten something, but only the sour. Very sour taste, bubbly mouthfeel. Different feeling. Odd. Different taste if I drink it with my whole mouth versus just my throat.

jujubeast6000, Feb 18, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

12oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. This is my first Gueze, but I have had other sours (Berliner Weissbier and Flanders Reds.)

A - the bottle is corked and capped. After finally finding my corkscrew, i get the cap off and am met with a slight pop and the smell of dead skunks, but more on that later. No geyser! I rarity from my experience with Belgian sours. The beer pours a cloudy orange color, like shiny unoxidized copper. A tiny 0.5cm white head forms but it's gone by the time i walk the 10ft from the sink to my table.

S - dead skunks. Also, not your normal roadkill smell, this is definitely the smell of a skunk that's been rotting for a few days on the backroads (read: unpaved roads) of Southern Ohio during the summer. there's also a strong, strong lactic acid smell like a Berliner Weissbier. Hints of apples, grass, earth, and something funky other than the lactic acid (Brett?)

T - I am reminded of a pineapple horseradish salsa I tried a few years ago at the Ohio Deer and Turkey Expo. Upon first taste, the salsa was sweet, pineappley, but then there was a massive explosion of horseradish flavor that drained your sinuses and put hair on your chest. This beer had a similar thing going for it: at first taste, there's nothing, some sour fruit (apples, cherries), but then after about 1 second, bam! A massive buildup of a lactic acid flavor that essentially covers up, the grass, earth and skunk factor that becomes evident as the beer warms. There ain't no malt here. There ain't no sweetness either; the finish is ALL dry, very dry. Wow, this is sour and pungent.

M - I understand that these beers are force carbonated. I can tell. There's way too much carbonation going on here, but it actually seems to work for this beer because the tingling effervescence of the brew increases the astringency and pungency of the lactic acid.

D - This reminds me a lot of a Berliner Weissbier, but without malt and with fruit. It's not my favorite beer, it's not my favorite style, but I'll probably give another gueze a try one day.

bowersdm, Feb 14, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

At homebrewing meeting, part of style of the month.

A - Poured a golden-yeloow, with 1 fingered white head, which disappeared upon impact. What lacing?

S - Honey, caramel, sour brett, with notes of citrus and light alcohol.

T - Lots of sour bret, some caramel, citrus and slight bit of honey. No alcohol this time around.

M - Definitely malt dominated, which left notes of sweet and sour mixed. Very intriguing.

D - Definitely good, would like to up my samplings and spelling of the gueuze.

MisterClean, Feb 12, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A pretty light orange colored body with a healthy sized off-white head that shoots up the glass. Not a lot of lacing or retention.

The smell is all kinds of tart and sour. I also detect what a lot of people would deem a funky "horse blanket" or "barnyard" aroma. Definitely a gueuze here, gueuze aroma all the way through.

The taste, like the aroma, is also classic gueuze and very sour and tart. up front is puckeringly sour and is followed by some light, fruity notes that come through. Even the fruity notes are sour though. Next comes the "barnyard" type of flavor that I hate to describe with that word, but I'm at a loss right now how else to put it. The finish is slightly sour, but is by far the most mellow portion of the beer.

Mouthfeel is light and thin body. Slightly puckering, very smooth.

If you like sour, this one is pretty drinkable. Not terribly complicated, but tasty and smooth. Considering the price and availability of this one, it rocks, although flavor-wise it doesn't stack up against the best in class.

Hojaminbag, Feb 11, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Clear golden yello. Huge, foamy dirty white head. Excellent retrention and great lacing. Lots of little bubbles quickly rising tro the top.

S - A very tart aroma up front with some underlying sour fruits. Some funkiness to the whole combination. I think this is one where some people would but sout 'barnyard'.

T - Strong taste of sour fruits up front. Lemon and hints of apple. Very musty in the taste. Clean and tart. The yeast is noticeable in the taste, but not overwhelming.

M/D - Light, fruity and very tart feel. Also on the dryer side. Incredibly drinkable.

ckeegan04, Feb 08, 2009

I poured from a 750 ml bottle into a large snifter. It pours a pale, clear yellow with an abundant white head. Lacing is left everywhere. The aroma is sour, sweet and funky with a bit of alcohol thrown in. The flavor is tart fruit, maybe apples, with a dry finish. The beer is light bodied and highly carbonated. The beer is a slow sipper. This is my first gueuze so I was not sure what to expect. It was good for a change of pace, but I will need to try another for comparison purposes.

bonkers, Feb 04, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

A bright gold color fills the glass along with a good (for a gueuze) white head which sticks around a while and leaves nice lacing.

Smells of tart citrus tempered by a bit of mustiness.

Sour apples dominate the taste. In fact I couldn't really pick out anything else. Not as tart as most other gueuze's I've had. No sign whatsoever of alcohol.

Mouthfeel was typical for this style beer. Slightly thin, but with a fair amount of carbonation prickliness.

If you like gueuzes, this one is worth a try, especially if you don't like them really tart. Not sure I'd grab this one again though. For a few $ more you can do better.

JBogan, Feb 01, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

750ml brown bottle, corked and capped. Bottled in 2006, Best Before 2010, served cool in De Dolle Oerbier's long-stemmed goblet.

A: pours a bright, reddish golden to amber hue, composed of great clarity and rather moderate fizz level; the beer head comes retrained and settles gradually to a rim.
S: absolutely beautiful - savoury-sour notes of marinated starfruits, fresh lemon-juice & apples on a part with old oak-barrel's subtle aroma (French oak) spring to mind, leaving malts/wheat-malts' aroma, light notes of damp yeasts & stinky sulphur, and a whiff of hops behind. Incredibly approachable but well-integrated and reasonably complex at the same time.
T: savoury, tart as well as lactic-sour at the same time in the mildly effervescent swallow, hinting at aromatic lemon rind, leaving a faint trace of aromatic apple-skins, pears, and damp/tannic touches of old oak-barrels creep down the far end of the palate. Slightly bitter, tangy, and lingeringly savoury in the end, but not particularly tart and pungently yeasty as compared with many of its counterparts, while a delicate level of hop aroma in the very end provides an enjoyable "kick" to the dryish and clean finish! Balanced performance.
M&D: slightly spritzy and full of tiny fizz, the palate is therefore clean, refreshing and light, making this a really quaffable session geuze in my book! It's easy to drink the whole 750ml bottle, no sweat, but it takes some extraordinary elements to elevate this ale to the real exciting league.

wl0307, Jan 31, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

I'm a sour freak, so take this with a grain of salt if you're not...

12 oz bottle poured into my trusty Duvel tulip.

Golden color, slightly hazy. This, yet sticky head.

Smell of barnyard Brett funk. Sour apple? A nice earthiness, yet bright.

Taste is a nice sourness. Lots of the funk. Some sour apple, but slightly more bread like(?). Sourness starts in the middle of the tongue and rolls back with the swallow. Punchy sour aftertaste. Light carbonation. It's almost the sourness of lemons, without the exact lemon taste.

Thin mouth feel. Light, small carbonation.

For me this is hella drinkable. I would, and could, drink this all night.

Even if you're not a huge fan of sours try it just to see what the Brett/barnyard thing is all about. It's a good representation of that.

guthrie, Jan 27, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

750ml green bottle with natural cork. Bottled 02OCT07, marked best by 31DEC13.

A=Golden colored with a slight haze when poured into a snifter. Little to no head or lacing.

S= Fruity and tart aroma.

T= Apricot and lemon combine for a clean tart flavor.

M/D= Clean and crisp, I could drink this all night.

My first Gueuze and I'll be looking for others.

Keith238, Jan 26, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

355ml green capped and corked bottle purchased at the liquor store in Tyngsborro, Mass. Pours a crystal-clear golden body with virtually no head to speak of. Smells fruity and acidic. Tastes fruity sweet and acidic sour. Light in body with moderate carbonation. Very drinkable. I wish I had more to say about this beer, I really enjoyed it and it's the best Gueuze I've had thus far, and it disappeared more quickly that I would have liked.

MrHurmateeowish, Jan 26, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer has been recommended to me by some respected beer peeps...

it pours up a brilliant gold color with a nice fluffy white head. the nose is wood, tart fruits, sourness. the taste is tart as hell! it tastes the same as the nose but with a lot of lemon flavor, I get oak, it leaves a chewy feel on your teeth. a very smoothe brew, full bodied, medium smoothe carbo. A nice, sour treat.

stumac, Jan 21, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

355 ML bottle from Butch's in Holland, MI.

This bottle was poured into a goblet while listening to Know Your Rights by the Clash.

Pours a lightly hazy orange almost the same color as the label on the bottle.

Huge amounts of fruitiness, candy, and grapefruit on the nose. Sweet, light, and apricots also show up a bit. Reminds me of some type of orange/apricot candy I've had before but cannot put my finger on it.

A lot of fruit, tangerine and grapefruit, on the palate. Sour! Very light, very fruity, yet tart but it is quite a curious taste.

Very easy to drink and although I don't see myself buying a lot of Lindeman's myself I will highly recommend this to anyone trying a Geuze! Definitely fits in the style. Has to be one of the best in the category.

midnite2sixman, Jan 19, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottled 07/08, BB 12/14.
Poured contents into Leffe chalice.

a) Inch thick white head, bubbles and crackles, and slowly sinks. Hazy pale orange.

s) Lemon sorbet from a foot away, other spicy tropical fruit, some funky moldy basement, damp hessian sack, cheese rind, nutmeg. Some hop leaf in there too. This is what it's all about. Top class, fascinating..

f) Big sour lemon hit up front, blue cheese on a lavoche cracker, some hung-beef gameyness, or venison even. Remarkable.... charcuterie & fromagerie in a bottle...

m) Very light, spritzig, but teeth-grittingly tart.

d) If I compare this with Timmermans Tradition Gueuze, I get two completely different ales. The former is fruity, cidery, simple and refereshing. This is challenging, sophisticated, and infinitely more interesting.

vancurly, Jan 17, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Yeah, so it's a Lindemans product... never really cared for their "lambics", I mean, good dessert material but as representations of the style they seem cheap and candylike... still, I'm liking Gueuzes lately and couldn't pass this one up when I saw it in Atlanta...

Pours a very dull dense orange with a beautiful tight white head that is at least 5cm tall... quite nice... lacing is there, sits well in my goblet, looks fine to me... great retention... no issues here...

Smells pretty solidly Guezue-ish, maybe a little tame and simple, but the requisite sour/tart oak funk and lemon-citrus pale malt caramel coolness are there...acidic and lactic, a hint of apricots here... decent and pretty textbook, takes no chances, wins no awards, just clean and solid.

Taste is much the same vein... tart lemon funk with a hefty dryness to carry the day, mildly malty but absolutely not sweet. Cleansing, refreshing, eye-opening... lacks the complexity and character of say, Girardin, but then most Gueuzes do... easy and not as bracing as some, the funk is a little easy and it's almost smooth...a good into to the style, I say, and certainly a fine brew from Lindemans.

Mouthfeel is thin and a bit flabby, fine carbonation but not crackling, finish is dry and a continuation of the main flavor - tart and citric, adult.

Cuvee Rene is a solid Gueuze, a surprise from Lindemans for me and something I can recommend. For $10 a 750ml I would buy this again. How about it!

kkipple, Jan 17, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Capped and corked 750 with gold foil, and a green bottle. Date code was 21/12/08 and it was produced in 2006.
Pours a beautiful clear gold color with a white head that subsides at a moderate pace. Plenty of bubbles cascading up from the bottom of the tulip.
The aroma is full of crisp granny smith apple, barnyard funk, and a dry bready character. Very nice and complex.

The taste begins with a rush of sourness that is intensified by the carbonation. It is nice and crisp reminding me of a dry champagne but it is much more complex with the sour/funk flavors going on this is a very refreshing beer.
Drinkability is very high once you get used to the sourness.
I think this is the best beer that Lindeman's makes and they should stop mixing good lambic like this into the overly sweet and syrupy fruity beers they make. This stuff is excellent.

RenoZymurgist, Jan 06, 2009

A nice, creamy, white head floats above a hazy, light-amber beer in this chalice glass. Some rings of lace are deposited above legs as yeast sediment is suspended below.

Opens with fruity apples, followed by sulfur, cough syrup, and fresh, raw corn. A light perfume is cut by distant skunkiness.

Enters with very tart apple, followed by grapes and a long tart finish accompanied by spruce, vinegar and saltiness.

The thin body is very dry, with lively carbonation and some astringency.

Probably a digestive. Ranks high as a conversation starter. I knew my father would cringe, but I will have another someday.

date consumed: 29 Sep 2008

SLeffler27, Jan 04, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René is a highly sparkling golden beer with a thick, fluffy, slightly yellowed white head that has outstanding retention and leaves excellent lacing on the glass. The aroma is quite powerful and carries notes of funk, cheese, horse blanket, cave and mud. It is light bodied, fluffy and bubbly on the tongue. The finish is crisp and dry. It is very sour, musty and funky, with no noticeable sweetness. There are notes of champagne, bleu cheese and hay. It's a very bretty affair. The finish is full of green apples. It is tart through and through. What a unique beer!

yesyouam, Jan 01, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours into an apple-cidery golden color with a nice crown of white head that leaves lace as it disappears. Very nice.

Smells fruity but not sweet. Apples and grapes lead the pack here.

Taste is very nice. This is a sour brew, don't get me wrong, and it is a departure from typical lindeman's fare, but it is not overwhelmingly so. Hints of the fruits, mostly apple.

This is a very thin and heavily carbonated drink, but without the carbonation, this wouldn't be as good. Very well done on this front as no other combination would seemingly work. This would be a great beer to introduce to those unfamiliar with the style or beer at all.

Drinkability is good. I think I will be able to finish the bottle and although it is pricey, I would love to always have some of these sitting around for special occasions and would like to get one to age. Very great drink overall.

sonicdescent, Jan 01, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz green glass bottle with cork and crown cap. No date.

Appearance: Poured into Duvel chalice. Light white head that recedes quickly leaving a little lacing. Cloudy orange-tan, like iced tea with lemonade. Some sediment, but not a lot.

Nose: Sour fruit esters. Sour pear, wild lilies, wheat, hot river rocks, minerals, and a little doghair or horsehair smell.

Palate: Intensely sour! Wow! I'll continue my earlier analogy about iced tea with lemonade...except it's more like lemonade discolored by iced tea. Light bodied with a little, quick, carbonation. Flavors of lemon juice, pear, granny smith apple, pine (cut wood), lemon zest, lime zest.

Notes: Really sour! Did not expect that from the same company that provides us with sticky-sweet candy beers. The body is a little lacking in texture, but still, this is probably the best beer they make (that we get here).

SFLpunk, Dec 29, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A foil-wrapped 750 mL bottle that is corked and capped.

A: The gueuze is a light apple juice color that combines orange and iced tea together. Not much head-wise, either on pour or as lace.

S: The nose is pleasantly tart, combining horseblanket funky with an acidic tang. Green apple and caramel malts mix with and accentuate the tartness.

T: This one really grabs you. The tartness is far more intense than the nose lets on, coating the palate with wild fauna. The bite is far more acidic than bretty (and luckily the acetic vinegar is nowhere to be found). A medicinal flavor follows the tartness, an unusual transition that leads back to tartness after a few seconds. The tart apple flavors are slow to fade from the palate.

M: This is a sock-knocker, flooring the tastebuds with sheer tartness. The carbonation does a bit but can't withstand the funk.

D: Only 5%, this ale is a testimony to ingenuity by Belgian brewers. So much flavor in such a small package is a great Christmas eve treat.

akorsak, Dec 25, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 375 mL capped/corked bottle into a lambic flute. Enjoyed at Chancey Smith's in London, Ontario with a supper of lake perch with arugula salad.

Deep, somewhat cloudy orange with a finger of white head. Very nice colour. Light wispy lacing.

Smell is fantastic! Given the reputation of this brewery's flavoured lambics, I wasn't expecting anything this complex. Green apple, hay, caramel, and something that can only be described as a yeasty funk.

Taste is even better! Incredibly sour up front with the same funky green apple. Hints of blue cheese? Plenty of malt flavour to balance the sourness as this goes down, but it's actually quite dry. This must be a fairly highly attenuated brew.

The funk is subtle enough not to overwhelm my perch, but this beer is definitely sharp enough to cut through my spicy arugula salad. Exquisite.

Mouthfeel is puckering but refreshing, helped by the moderate carbonation. Somewhat round, but not too full. The drinkability of this beer is very high.

Thank you Lindemans, you exceeded every expectation I had with this classic lambic offering. It's still so remarkable that I can get this in London Ontario.

hegelec, Dec 23, 2008