Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

750 ml bottle. Very effervescent, almost champagne-like. Thin, persistent head with a creamy appearance. Right from the pour, smells sharp, almost astringent, but has notes of apricot. Mouthfeel is thinner than the fruit lambics, but creamier than, say, a pils. Taste is sharp at first, then mellows into a pleasant sour note on the back of the tongue. All in all, very enjoyable. Definitely a different experience than the sweet gueuze beers.

roblowther, May 20, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

appearance: light orange color with nice foamy head that fades fast...lacing coats the tulip, a nice looking beer, with a thin film.

smell: sort of a mild tart lemonade smell, tart, with barnyard characteristics. mild.

taste: a pleasant tartness like sour lemonade, super tart "barnyard" flavors. i'm a bit more experienced with Flemish Reds, this is like that with no malt character, just letting that natural funk do it's thing. i love it, but a sip given to a person not expecting rejected it as horrible vinegar.(while loving the frambouse of course).

mouthfeel: so light on the tounge makes this beer a pleasure to drink, the carbination keeps things lively.

drinkability: a pefect light drinking summer beer, heck pair this with burgers and fries, or something like that. A lambic that is very sour and tart compared to even the funkiest saisons. a beer for all seasons

pjwilson, Apr 18, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Clear, brassy-gold in hue, the color is truly lovely! White head, at the apex the foam was two fingers tall. I am impressed at how fluffy the foam is plus it has damn good staying power too. In other words, head retention was good; it took many minutes before the head faded noticeably. A soapy cap lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was unorganized and not very widespread. From top to bottom this is an attractive beer!

The nose doesn’t jump out of the glass but the potency is still loud enough. I really like what it is saying. Bright tartness but retrained at the end, woody notes, apples, lemon, musty barnyard like the morning after a heavy dew. The bouquet is earthy but not in a “dark” way. I am impressed that the rustic vibe harbors warmth, I can’t think of two many Guezues that accomplish it. Granted, other Guezues are much more complex. No complaints with this one though, it says everything I want it to. Lovely. Inviting!

Holy hell! I’ve had enough Guezues to know what is coming on the palate but the nose lolled me to sleep. BAM! I was sucker-punched with a big, beefy blast of tartness! I love it! What I am a rookie? This beast is making me pucker! I love it! Jaded no longer? Tart apples and pears upfront, followed by lemon rinds, grass too, and some cork. The finish is acidic and briefly fruity sweet with hints of rhubarb. Very dry aftertaste, clean too… sharp but kind of empty for my tastes. I really like the palate but, IMO, it lacks a bit of complexity but the tartness and dry finish is no joke. Sadly, by my second glass I was use to the tartness and the lack of depth was more noticeable. I was ready to score this beer high but I can’t any long. At best, this is a very good Gueuze… not outstanding, just really good. There is nothing wrong with that. While Lindemans might brew some overly sweet beers this one is more traditional. I like it.

The mouthfeel is very ordinary but fitting for the style; medium/medium-light in body, lively, zippy carbonation… very refreshing.

I’ve had this 2002 edition since 2004 when I purchased it in Minneapolis, MN. Why did I wait to drink it? I wasn’t cellaring it. I just didn’t drink it. I guess I figured it wouldn’t be this good. Now I am happy I can buy more in Kansas City. I’d be happy to drink this again on a hot summer’s day or with a salad or with bleu cheese… or all by itself. Recommended!

bditty187, Mar 29, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Yellow-gold. Suprisingly clear. Aroma shows floral elements, semi-tartness, and sweetness. On the palate, the initial threat of tartness gievs way to a mild sweetness before that tart element returns rapidly. The flavors are bright and satisfying. Overall this contributes to a pleasant sensation. Cuvee Rene is refreshing, and perfectly quaffable.

VoodooBrew, Mar 19, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours golden with just hints of red throughout. Has a foamy white head that diminishes to a ring. The aroma is vinous and of grape skins. A bit of sweet and tartiness too.

The flavor is fruity and tart, again with the grape skins and a bit of sour apple. It is light-medium in body and a bit acidic. Nice brew.

BeerBuilder, Mar 05, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

By far not my style of beer so my review may bang it a bit more than it deserves. Pours an orangeish amber into the glass. Minimal head and minimal lacing. Sweet fruity aroma. Astringent melony taste. Probably the best gueuze I have had to date, but still far from what I would buy. Perhaps my tastes are changing, yet again. I guess we shall see.

corporatejim, Mar 05, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: Opaque and golden like an old farmhouse cider, it sported a mighty fine white head that kicked the ass of most other lambics I had the previlege to try.

Smell: Speaking of cider, the aromas were similar to the ciderhouses I visited in Normandy, like an old dusty barnyard, and a strong dose pepper that almost made me sneeze every time I'd stick my nose in the glass. Do they sprinkle histamines in there?

Taste: Carbonation is livid, the acidity level was nice and reminded me of the time I crunched on a piece of raw wild rhubarb back when I was a kid. The "funk" level was relatively low and the aftertaste was a bit short. Still a nice Gueuze that I can relatively easily, relative meaning a 2-hour drive into a foreign country!

Goldorak, Mar 03, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

2002 bottling, sampled in Jan of 2006

Clear copper in color, with a thin, spotty off-white head that soon dissipates to reveal a streaked glassy surface. The aroma is strong, sour, and enticing. Grapey and tart. One sniff and I'm back in Brussels, spending late nights in the Mort Subite...

Not quite as much bite in the flavor as the aroma would have led me to expect. It's still quite tart at the start, mind you, but the flavor has a nice fruity apricot roundness to it in the center, with hints of overripe apple and a bit of funk in the finish. Acidic and dry as Tucson in June, but amazingly smooth and drinkable.

This is miles away from the fruity crap this company puts out. Definitely worth sampling, and worth sitting on for a good long while if you can restrain yourself. Amazing.

mzwolinski, Feb 13, 2006

Appearance: Deep golden color, with a touch of haze, small, persistent white head, small streams of fine carbonation, and thick, glass-coating lace.

Aroma: Profound musty, sour aroma, with notes of sour hay, barnyard, earth and white wine vinegar, in all, conforms well to style.

Taste: Sharply tart, with profound lemon rind and vinegar notes, understated clove spiciness, and an earthy musty character. The finish is profoundly dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft, perhaps a touch harsh, very much like champagne.

Drinkability/notes: A solid, credible example of the most royal of beers. Lambics are an acquired taste, to be sure, but a taste worth acquiring. If a beer style can be said to be transcendent, then it is the Lambic style.

Pegasus, Feb 12, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

orange and foamy out of the bottle, not untypical for the style. tart and dry nose, some vinegar. slightly complex gueze but not terribly so -- only average. tastes of lambic funk, tart and dry with some acetic qualities. scrubbing bubbles in the mouth, fairly light body.

texashammer, Feb 09, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Cloudy caramel with a white head that produced lots of lacing. Aromas of sour fruit, cidery apples, and yeast. The flavour mirrors the aroma, with a tart finish. There's a bit of citrus here as well. Everything melds very nicely. Medium to light bodied, moderate carbonation, and quite dry. Definitely a fine beer.

DrJay, Jan 28, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

I generally don't review Lambics or Gueuze, as they often overwhelm my palate. This one was quite drinkable...

A: Looks like a sparkling cider.

S: Funky, tart, sourness.

T: Sour and quite dry, yet balanced by a hint of sweetness. A slight earthy/metalic flavour.

M: Light to moderate body is very acidic.

D: Quite approachable for the style.

Thanks Kevin!

Derek, Jan 24, 2006
2.15/5  rDev -47.3%

I poured this 750ml corked and capped bottle into a champagne flute. It formed a 2" white head over the clear, orangey-golden brew. Foamy head lasts well, and lacing is nice. Aroma is a piercing tartness with a woody-soil tinge to it. This one doesn't have the balance of the straight Lindemans Gueuze. Its flavor seems to focus on the tartness which overwhelms any of the more subtle notes. I drank part of it with a lime to cut the overwhelming tartness. I don't have a very sophisticated Lambic / Gueuze pallet and this may be my shortcoming but I did not like this particular Gueuze.

TheEclecticGent, Jan 23, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottled in 2004: Pours with a good head. Body is a light straw color. Some sourness in the nose, as well as some malt notes.

The taste is well balanced between the malt, the citric sourness, and slight funk. Not as shocking to the palate as Cantillon. Lively mouthfeel from the carbonation, and insanely drinkable. Maybe a good introduction to the style for the uninitiated.

Sephiroth, Jan 15, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

01/03/06- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, capped and corked. 2003 vintage. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Orange-yellow colored pour. At first a large bubbled spritzy head which turns thick and pock marked and lasting. Chunks of fat lace all over the insides of my glass.

Smell- Slightly barnyard, mainly that musty scent. A combination of tart smelling fruits as well.

Taste- Lemon rind, orange and many other fruits form together to meld into a tart, but not overpowering sour taste explosion. Starts out fairly tart, but mellows out. Not necessarily to the point of sweetness, but on the lower end of the sour spectrum towards a saison like taste.

Mouthfeel- Super carbonated and super dry. Bone dry. Quenching and a somewhat light mouthfeel.

Drinkability- Of the few Gueuze's I have had, this one ranks right up there with the best of them. Tasty and hit the spot.

GClarkage, Jan 04, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

My first of this style, this poured a subdued golden hue with mild head and some lacing. Smell was very tart, sour and sweet, very intense aroma. Taste was very sour in front which puckers the lips and finishes with some mild fruity notes, for me the sourness just dominates the experience. I guess I'll just admit that being a freshmen BA my palate probably just isn't devoloped enough to appreciate this style yet. I plowed through a tulips worth of this one but I could't get anyone I was with to even try more than one sip. I can see the value in this beer however so I will definitely be revisiting it after perhaps a year or so.

masikon, Dec 26, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

No freshness date carved nor fresh by so unknown vintage but guess young. Nice presentatation with forever lasting white head and a nice golden beercollor with not much haze. Nose is delicate giving good fresh horse sweet, dry fresh hay, delicatly dosed sourness and overal very fresh but landlike caracter. Taste is good also having a well dosed but not overdone sourness; grapefruit like, good dryness, horse sweaty, rough leather taste with tard bitterness. Yes this is a fine example of a geuze and easy accesable. Good and for geuze quiet high dosed carbonisation make it together with the plesant taste to great mouthfeel and a well drinkable real geuze; wonder how these 2 1994's in my cellar are doing.

paterlodie, Dec 06, 2005
4.08/5  rDev 0%

Cuvee Rene-- this isn't one of Lindeman's sweet "lambics"-- this is the real deal.

color-- light pilsner color with a dirty white head. good lacing down the side of the glass. lots of carbonation, and dry dry dry.

green apple, hay, lemon, grass, dirt/ground, little musty, but not as intense as some guezes. nothing widely funky like cat pee or horse blanket in this one.

very dry and light on the tongue. zesty, sour lemon and floral characterstics. sourness on the sides of the tongue. very spritzy, tart and refreshing--you really get a flavor for the wheat. feel like there is almost some hop character to this one.

this is a good gueze but i think cantillon and others are certainly more deep, funky and complex. nonetheless, i can see this being a bit more widely appealing just because its not as funky and sour as some. this would make an amazing apperetif--dry, bubbly and not too overwhelming. just right to whet an appetite. Very champagne-like.

studentofbeer, Dec 04, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +14%

Medium bodied, hazy light orange color, sizeable off-white head that sticks around and leaves loads of nice lace. There are lot's of tiny bubbles like champagne.

The aroma is acidic, like apple cider vinegar, sour milk, musty, earthy, traces of lemon, hay, bread, apricot and other things I can't even name.

Taste is along the same lines - mouth puckeringly sour green apples, lime, wood, yeast, wheat, sour cherries. Intensely dry finish that demands another taste. This is a very quirkily unique style of beer.

If you like really dry wine, sour green apples, iced tea with no sugar and extra lemon, or ever thought of stuffing a whole lime in your corona, you might want to give this a try. Not an everyday beer!

whynot44, Oct 10, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

A nice Belgian Sour beer. Smells tart and moderately sour. Slight fruity aromas behind, and a little yeasty. Looks mostly clear yellow with a slight wheat haze to it. Tastes have a good blend of barley and wheat malt flavors and textures with a complex citrus sourness and acidity. Very efforvescent to the toung. Pleasantly creamy and tart. Not astringent, just nicely tart. Finish is dry and champaign like. Aftertaste is moderately sweet and tart. Lingers for quite a while.

BEERchitect, Sep 23, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

No vintage on the bottle so I think it's the new packaging which means it's probably pretty fresh. Appearance is great. Clear copper with a very nice white head that won't go away in my champagne glass. Smell is very musty. A tiny bit of a rotten smell in there and you can tell it's very acidic. Taste is also very acidic and sour - definitely mouthpuckering. It has a very clean finish compared to the other lambics I've tried, which leaves me a little disappointed as I prefer the tartness to linger on the palate. The flavor seems a bit muted and doesn't quite have that zing that I've come to love. It's just a tad too watery for my tastes as well. Extremely refreshing though, and something I could drink all night long. Perhaps with some age this will develop.

PatYoda, Sep 22, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

(Served in a flute)

A-This beer pours a light golden honey color with a crystal clear body and a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles. The big head is very creamy. Nice lace with each sip.

S-Nice sour aroma that is complex, with notes of earthiness and barnyard characters that are not over powering. Very faint rhubarb or green apple smell also.

T- Very well balanced with sour notes and soft wheat blending with barnyard flavor in the background. It finishes with a nice grapefruit tartness.

M- Light mouthfeel with some fizz and a light picker at the finish.

D-This is very well blended. The barnyard flavors add great complexity but are not in-your-face shocking. The tart sour notes are very nice and really add another nice layer to this beer. Much more character and flavor than any sparkling wine.

rhoadsrage, Sep 11, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottled: 1998
750ml bottle

This beer poured a golden yellow color that had hints of brown when held to the light, it almost seemed to glow. It was, for as old as it was, it was super carbonated. The foam that was created was a off white color, creamy consistency, tight bubbled and long lasting. The taste of the foam was on the sour side. The lace was tight bubbled as well that was patchy in spots and sheety in others. The aromas were of sweet fruits, champagne notes, lots of grapes and berries, sweet malts, as it warmed i started to nose a fresh barn yard and yeast notes. Nice. The flavors were as good as the aromas. Sometimes sour, sometimes sweet. Like a fine champagne, grapes, both sour and sweet, light malts, hints of grapefruit, fresh fruits, as it warmed a dry ash became present and a nice blend of fresh bread and yeast and it finished with a sour/dry finish on my tongue. The body was on the light and refreshing side. It left a dry hop hint in the back of my throat which was pleasing. Over all, bubbly and sour, lots of flavor. It was mouth watering and very easy going. I really enjoyed it and held up very well with age.

This beer was consumed on the night of the birth of my daughter, which was on July 19, 2005.

Jarod, Sep 02, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

My 100th review!

Appearance: Pours an invitingly hazy Amber color with about a half-inch of small white bubbles at first pour. There are a lot of bubbles rising to maintain the head. After a couple minutes, the head reduced to a thin layer across the top of the beer. After about twenty minutes in the glass, you notice that the beer has become pretty much clear. Even at this point, there are still a lot of bubbles rising. The beer leaves a thick coat of foam for lace around the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Man, the aroma on this beer is gorgeous! There is lots of citrus among some floral scents. The esters rule, but there is still a bit of sweetness that you can tell is there. There is a soft malty profile that accents the wildness of the aroma beautifully. After the head mostly disappears, you can pick out some of the hay/horsey aromatics residing subtly in the background. As it warms a bit, the blatant citrus starts to mellow out to leave you with a much earthier aroma from which you can start to pick out some of the wheat.

Taste: Gee whiz, how can a beer possibly get better than this???? There is a host of lemons and oranges that lead you into a slightly bitter Lambic “twang” in the middle of the profile. Finally the finish ends feeling like it has a medium body with an assertive carbonation that leaves the throat with enough sweetness to trap some of the citrusy goodness to last well after the sip. After it sits for a half an hour or so (I’m sipping this beer slowly) the flavor gets really soft and refreshing. It almost has a velvety mouthfeel as the carbonation looses assertiveness and leaves the beer to cross your palate in its true form. This beer is awesome!

Opinion: I think that this is about as close to a perfect beer as any. This is really the only beer that I have tried from Lindemans that I would consider saying that about. Sure, their flavored Lambics are good, and world-class in their own right...but they are far too sweet for my palate. This one has some surprising sweetness in it, but it barely even coexists with the wholesome funky goodness of the wild fermentation. It is a bit hard for me to believe that this is what the Lindemans beers taste like before they add all of those syrups in.

SkeeterHawk, Aug 30, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

A good beer that's a little bit too sour at first, but after a few sips (once you're accustomed to it) is actually a great summer brew.
I honestly prefer the normal Lindeman's Gueuze as it's not quite as sour, but this brew has a more complex series of flavors.
The smell is actually rather sweet, but with hints of clover and citrus.
Flavor is initially sour, but develops a more complex flavor after the initial sourness dissipates.
I'd actually rate the drinkability of this brew VERY high just because I thought it was very addictive. After polishing off a half-bottle I wanted more immediately. That's a trait I don't think most beers have.
If you like this brew, I'd try the normal Gueuze, too!

Domingo, Aug 23, 2005