Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Reviews: 847 | Hads: 1,936
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

clear golden color, light white head, clean light citrus with a moderate tart/funk character. Slight pepper, moderate to high carbonation, dry finish. Great for its price.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Tasted this alongside the ordinary gueuze from the same brewery.

A - pale golden, crystal clear, head dies down fast.

S - funkiness, leather, green apples, lime,

T - Opens very soft with some veeery faint pale malt profile. As it comes a long it reveals the same complexity of flavors as in the aroma. A apple cidery flavor starts to kick in, and I get a bit worried that it's gonna take over (like in the ordinary guezue from the same brewery), but it stops just short of being too offensive. Dry and tart on the finish,

M - Puckering mouthfeel, body is lighter then the ordinary guezue - I think this one works better. High carbonation.

O - A real treat, tons of exciting flavors, really refreshing. The Cuvée is waaay better than the ordinary gueuze!

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: Slight chill haze on a dark gold. Head is bubbly, slightly dense, and loose. Lively carbonation throughout. Head retention is decent leaving a small cap and collar. Minimal to no lacing.

Smell: Deep hits of old wet oak. Layers of tart and funk. Deeply earthy with some strong lemon peel and bright citric acid. Solid lactic push as well. Hay and straw with some deeper horse aromas. Woody. Some pear and mealy fruit. A touch of sweetness as well under the woody tart nature. Some pale malts add a bready element with a solid wheat presence thrown in. A touch of cereal grain maybe.

Taste: Lactic wood. Deeply oaked. Solidly earthy with an initial gripping citric bite. Tart edges drop off a bit as it warms and with successive sips. Lemon peel and a touch of oily rind. Malts are slightly bready with some minor sweetness. Wheat adds another layer of malt to the whole thing. Citric tart edge lingers on the edge of every sip. Some farm and the associated grass, hay, straw, and musty funk. Barnyard - horse. Mildly floral on the back. Apricot and pear as well. Funky dirty and mildly tart with a huge oak presence.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate to almost high carbonation. A bit astringent. Smooth initial sip.

Overall: Blend it up baby.

A solid gueuze. Not the most complex, but it's got a great flavor and fits the style. Definitely can't go wrong with it and with a "low" bottle price, it's worth keeping around all the time.

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

I heard that this beer is a good starter to introduce yourself to this particular style so looked around and found one that was brewed on 2011. Uncorking it I was hit with a loud pop from all of the carbonation and bright notes of apple and pear on the nose. After pouring it I was able to appreciate its flavor much more. It has bright notes of crisp apple and a slight undertone of bread with a funky kick to it as well. On the palate it has wonderful rich fruit flavor of apple, pear and peach with a sour tone to give it a tangy flavor. Also, there are wonderful undertones of oak and bread all tied together with a funky tang to give it weight. hopefully after I sample other beers in this category, I will be able to broaden my palate and appreciate them more. However, for now I really love it!

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

This brew pours a golden/yellow color with a huge head that takes a while to disperse. It is mostly clear with heavy carbonation. Lots of yeast floating in the glass when you get down to pouring from the bottom of the bottle.

The smell is slightly fruity and musty. The sour comes through even in the smell.

The taste is sour, wow, is it sour, very plain with a heavy yeast component and sour fruit. Very dry, like a dry champagne.

Overall this is a good Lambic. It is not very complex and it lacks the fruit component, at least it lacks one specific fruit component, that I am used to from Lindemans but overall it is a solid offering. Personally, I would prefer the Lambics from Lindemans that are flavored with apple, pear, peach etc.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle. July 2013

A: yellow. Clear. No head.

S: barnyard. Earthy. Literally hay and straw. County fair.

T: malt followed by sour tartness.
Citrus notes. Acid. Woody. Oaky. Funky.

M: high carbonation. Medium body. Tart. Pucker factor is medium. Funky as Les Claypool.

O: wow. Funky. Sour. Tart. Balanced. Great bear. Will definitely buy again.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

i really liked this one from lindemans, much better than some of their fruited stuff, and a much lighter take on they style than is available from others. its crystal clear after i pour from the capped and corked green glass bottle. radiantly clear really, yeast cake remains on the bottom of the bottle. head is fizzy and white but settles quickly, and there is a real champagne sort of look to it. the nose is only a bit sour, its still definitely blended lambic, no mistake about that, but it hass less of the lactic hotness of others, instead having a light wheat malt flavor and some yeast character other than sourness. its meadowy, springy, floral and very delicate. not a lugging weighty gueuze, but one to really drink up, like a glass of spring white wine, it seems to be the perfect compliment to a chickpea curry, but i can see it working in about a million food contexts. this is a good beer to introduce folks to the style with too, its less caustically acidic but equally refined as the others. i like it quite a bit, and am more excited to crack the bottle of faro lambic in the fridge now too!

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance is a hazy yellow with minimal head.
aroma is funk, barrel, oak, and lemon
taste follows the nose with a tartness that's not overpowering.
Mouthfeel is medium with nice carbonation. Nice lingering tartness and dryness.
great beer. Perfect for introductory gueuze drinking.

3.99/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: clear golden with significant carbonation, sustaining, but with minor lacing
S: nice sour lemon and what I think is a Brett-influenced funkiness

T: muted version of the smell. Sour lemon hits first, but doesn't last or grow as I would hope. I can't quite place the "farmhouse" taste that comes in, hay/meadow/wood. There's a wine feel to it as well, late.
M: carbonation and a refreshing taste that has an earthy taste but isn't too dry

O: I was hoping for more tart bite throughout, but this beer did grow on me. The transition from sour to "regular beer" did take some getting used to, however.

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Gosh-darn this is a refreshing beer. I enjoyed opening it-- the process is a little different, as one unravels the foil and then uses a wine-opener to release the petite cork. A lovely little process which enunciates the rustic element.

The smell is the only score that I did not give a perfect score on, not because it is a perfect example of the style, but because the rubbery scent was a little off-putting.

The brettanomyces is very playful in regards to the taste profile. Quite refreshing, and I would say that while this lambic geuze style is different from the traditional style of Rodenbach, I would say that both are equally excellent examples of a successful variation on a theme.

The previous beer I tried (Urthel Saisonniere) I put away in the refridgerator, perhaps to drink later, though probably not. This beer I will probably finish, just because of how good it tastes.

The finish is clean and elegant. The previous beer left a earwax taste in my mouth that lingered, but this beer has cleaned it away quite wonderfully, and now I taste almost cherry-like freshness amidst the sour after notes.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a Lindemans stange. Pours a bright golden amber with a two finger pure white head with good retention and lots of lacing. Aroma of fruit and sourness are evident immediately on opening the bottle, which is both crown capped and corked, kinda classy. Aroma in the glass is similar, sour apple and grape with funky yeast. Flavor is lemon citrus, apple and grape juice, very tart with wild yeast funkiness. Finishes tart and funky with hints of woodiness. Nice active carbonation makes it look good in the glass and gives a nice mouth feel. The tart fruit and yeast funk were actually not too much more intense than other old lambics, which worked well for me. I'm not a big sour fan, but wanted to try this style, and this satisfied my taste for a champagne like, light sour ale. A fairly classy looking bottle and it looks great in the glass. If I liked sours a bit more, this would be in my fridge all the time.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Golden straw color that is hugely carbonated beverage comes with more head than you can shake a stick at. Watching the bubbles rise to the top almost reminds me of sparkling white wine or a champagne. I could not get my nose out of this beer, there's a peach note with musty mushrooms, hay, sour blueberries, farmhouse, wood, lemon, just straight up funk. And it smelled really good. The taste was sour, the bottle was about a year old but still had a brightness to it. Blueberries and peach, sour funk all with a nice prickly carbonation.

Really a fun beer to share with others and watch people guess all the aromas and what they are tasting in it. Great beer.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A benchmark for the style - well balanced and delicious

aroma: sweet and sour funk with lemon citrus, pepper and musty notes.

taste: lemon citrus, pepper, funk, wood, slight sherbet and some grapefruit bitterness. Great balance of sweet, sour and spice.

two words: quality beer!

4.09/5  rDev +0.2%

Liight orange towards golden in color; hazy. Pours with a rich 2+ finger head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving the slightest amount of foam on the surface of the beer and lacing on the sides of the glass. Nice sour (think green apple), citrusy aroma; made me want to taste the beer. Starts slightly acidic and citrusy, the progresses to a nice smooth sour finish that is slightly tart at the end. I found the taste refreshing and thirst-quenching. Light to medium body, lots of light carbonation that leaves a slight tingly sensation in your mouth. Overall I found this beer to be a solid sour that I would enjoy drinking again.

3.32/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene last month for $7.49 at Cork N Ale. I've never had this beer before, but since i like sours now I thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on March 21st 2011.. Poured from a green 12oz foiled bottle that had a cork underneath the bottle cap and I poured it into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks nice, along with the foiled top it's got a nice classy look to it and I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a nice hazy looking brighter yellow color that took on more of a darker golden hue when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- the aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by some fruity sourness being the first to show up, the sourness seems to be around the higher side of medium and the fruity aspect is very citrus like with a good amount of lemon aromas coming through. Up next comes a slight funky barn yard like aroma with some wet hay and grassy aromas coming through. From the middle to the end there's a pretty noticeable skunky aroma that I think might be from the green bottle. This beer had a decent aroma, but I could have gone without the skunky aspect.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by those sour fruit aspects that I got in the aroma and they impart a medium amount of sourness with lemon and other citrus like flavors coming through along with a slight apple aroma. Up next comes the yeast which proves to be much more earthier than it was in the aroma, but the wet straw aspects still comes through and it's followed by that same skunky aspects, but this time it seems to be just slightly lighter. On the finish there was a little bit of lingering sourness along with an earthy, lemon and light skunky like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but the overpowering earthy flavor and the skunky flavors really hold back the taste.

M- Not the smoothest, not too clean, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of high carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and as far as I can tell I think it's a pretty average example of the style and it doesn't really have any tastes or aromas that I think are really well done, it kind of falls right in the middle and that skunky and overly earthy aspect doesn't help. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, not too clean, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, not too filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think half is a little more than enough for me and I'm glad that I'm splitting this bottle with my brother and there's no way I would want to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was pretty good and to me it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the skunky aspect and the overly earthy flavors, if this beer didn't have those it might be a lot better. I would buy this beer again, but I would make sure it's a pretty fresh bottle since I don't think aged was too kind to this beer and as it stands now I don't think I would recommend it. All in all I was disappointed with this beer, I had heard good things about and I thought it would turn out to be a good sour, but it just had too many off aspects and in the end that really hurt this beer. This just might be my least favorite Gueuze and my least favorite beer from this brewery. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me, but I hope to try a fresher bottle in the future.

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750 mL capped & corked bottle into a Brewer's Art goblet. Moderate hand. No definitive date, but the label is stamped LI13MGC. Presumably a 2013.

A: Lightly cloudy honey-colored orange-yellow body. 1 finger of white head. Ok retention. Light lacing.

S: Citric and lactic acid sour with a touch of acetic. Suggests cherry, lemon, apple, pear. Hay. Grass. Basement.

T: Assertive, musty sourness immediately and throughout. Light bitterness on a rather dry finish. Lemon juice lingers in the aftertaste. No significant alcohol presence.

M: Effervescent with high carbonation that brings a nice fullness on the palate. Light to moderate body. Spritzy and refreshing, if not a bit prickly out of the gates.

O: A firmly sour gueuze with a solid and pleasant funk factor. Very good brew. Functioned as both a nice aperitif and a fitting complement to a rather spicy palak paneer and rotisserie chicken slathered with Sriracha.

Note: I had a terrible tasting of this in the past, which I attribute to a bad bottle. All the subsequent experiences have been consistent with the above review.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lindemans' Cuvee Rene, Gueuze Lambic.

A: Honeyed-apple cider look to it, with a few tiny little black flecks floating around. Frothy white head. Slight lacing. Sheeting hold quite a while.

S: It's got sort of a dry peach/pear smell, with a mild acidity. Honey. Dry apples. Very slight caramel.

T/MF: Hmm. I was expecting a little sweetness, but this is damn near bone dry. Acidity is much more mellow than the other Lindemans' Lambics, and more front-focused. Pear flavor only apparent as it settles. A very light acidic tingle holds to the tongue; all there is of a finish, pretty much.

I'd take one of the fruited cousins over this any day, but this is not bad.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, into a Belgian tulip glass.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Had this a little higher previously. The last bottle I had was good, but the appearance killed it. Poured like soda, no head retention whatsoever.

Nose was nice, good qualities of a gueuze, but a little simplified. Wonderful tartness and citrus character, nice funk.

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Enjoyed out of a 375 mL green bottle with a cork and cap, and marked with the vintage of 2012. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack Series tulip glass.

Appearance - So far, so good. A careful pour yields a large two-finger head of thick, sudsy, bone white foam. Retention is excellent, and it dissipates slowly, with significant pocking. Beneath the pillowy head lies a brassy golden liquid that is translucent, providing a clear view of the stream of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass to replenish the head.

Smell - The aroma is surprisingly nondescript, with some wet hay and barnyard funk, but very little of the tart and vinegar characteristics that I would expect from the style. There also seems to be a faint sweetness, which is surprising, given that I've read that this is one of the only Lindemans brews that doesn't get artificially sweetened.

Taste - Ugh. While the appearance was quite nice, and the aroma was rather dull, I'm just baffled at the scores on this beer, given the taste. I suppose it's possible that my bottle was not kept well before it got to my hands, but there just isn't much here. Generic funk, an almost mildew-like characteristic and an unshakeable impression of bile are really the only things going on here. There also seems to be just a touch of off-putting sweetness that is quite out-of-balance to my tastebuds. And there is almost zero of that puckering sourness that I love about my favorite takes on this style.

Mouthfeel - Light-bodied and moderate-to-high levels of carbonation that provide for a prickly, effervescent mouthfeel. The finish is mostly dry, but again that odd sweetness lingers, providing for a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

Overall, this beer just misses the mark. I'd read from multiple sources that this was Lindemans best offering, and if so, that is entirely disappointing. I had hoped to find a readily available and reasonably priced gueuze, but that is simply not the case. I'll stick to St. Louis Fond Tradition and Tilquin for my accessible gueuze needs.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

375ml bottle poured into a Lindemans gueuze tumbler.

The beer pours a clear apricot color, slight haze, hues of orange and gold with a soft, loose, fizzy white head that vanishes quickly leaving no lace or film. The aroma is earthy, nice funk, some oak, white wine grapes, musty, a bit of green apple, champagne like, a bit of citrus with some hay and pale grain. A bit of earthy dirt and pepper is present as well. The flavors are nice, earthy and dirty, lots of funk, mustiness, oak, pepper, dirt, pale grain and straw before the fruit sweeps over at the end, sour grapes, a bit vinous, tart apples as well with some grapefruit citrus and tanginess. The body is lively, albeit a bit heavier, crisp bubbles are a touch abrasive, it carries weight across the tongue, struggles to coat the mouth and finishes with a puckery zip.

Verdict: A very nice gueuze from Lindemans, surprisingly good relative to the rest of their lineup, which is unfortunately artificially sweetened. It's a bit dirtier and heavier for a gueuze than I prefer, but for the availability and price point, it's a remarkable value. Kudos to Lindemans for this, fine stuff.

3.99/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle dated 5/20/13

Slightly hazy golden pour with white head reducing to ring of lacing.

Pleasant nose with fresh lemon peel, light white grape and acidity.

Taste is crisp with a moderately fruity undertone - primarily grape, green apple and lemon zest. There is an earthiness on the palate and some oak. The finish is a bit bitter, tannic and very dry. The light, bready malts make an appearance but mostly don't get in the way. This beer is fairly sour with both lactic and acetic acid. Low on the funk factor.

Light, creamy carbonation makes for an easy drinking affair.

Overall, this is a great choice for a regularly available shelf gueuze. Its not a complex or entirely memorable experience, but it is a clean, enjoyable and refreshing sour beer.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From notes

Appearance: It has a nice hazy golden/orange color to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down moderately fast and leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of yeasty funk, tart lemons, grapes and some green apples.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has some tart lemons, yeasty funk, sour apples and some white grapes.

Mouthfeel: It has a med/high carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas.

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 1-year-old bottle into a white wine glass.
A: stunning yellow-orange color that almost matches the color of the paper in the bottle (coincidence?) when first poured lots of swirling bubbles like champagne but that stopped and did not reappear in subsequent pours
S: extremely potent. I could smell the beer immediately after opening standing three feet away. Both the funky weird aromas and the delicious sour aromas are present in spades.
T: incredible. You just can't stop sipping it because the sour taste is so refreshing and delicious. And, unlike what you see with a lot of Belgian sour ales (ie not lambics), you don't get any unpleasantness at all on the aftertaste
M: great of course. The tartness works perfect with the level of carbonation.
O: excellent. If you like funky sour beers this one is a no brainer.

3.96/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Bottled on May 2011; opened & drank on 4 April 2014.

Poured from 375mL bottle Iinto a chalice; it has a lightly golden appearance with a small head (< 1cm).

Smell was quite nice. The aroma distinctive of sours was present, though maybe not as pronounced as with some of the Oud Bruins or other sour styles that I'm more accustomed to drinking.

The first thing that struck me was the feel in the mouth: lots of carbonation. Accompanied with the characteristic dryness, it speaks to the style's nickname as Brussels Champagne.

The taste is quite sour, certainly. My palette my not be refined enough, but I found it fairly one-dimensional on thr taste. It's possible that the heavy carbination and acute sour taste pushed out any more hard to find flavors.

Overall, it was good, but I wouldn't pay the $15 to have it again. i'm not accustomed to gueze styles, though I do enjoy sours but found this a little over-powering. If you don't typically drink sours, I would build up to this.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle from Bottle Barn on my trip to Cali, shared with beastmaster. Dated May 2013, poured on March 29, 2014. Pours a slight cloudy deep orange color with a half finger white head. Aroma of sour mint leaves, some light citrus, dusty oak, sweet candy sugars. Mmmm. Flavor is citrusy, very lightly sour for a Geueze, and not as dry as I expected. Some juicy pear an lots of sweet and sour flavors going on.a

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans