Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,862 | Reviews: 836
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a Lindemans stange. Pours a bright golden amber with a two finger pure white head with good retention and lots of lacing. Aroma of fruit and sourness are evident immediately on opening the bottle, which is both crown capped and corked, kinda classy. Aroma in the glass is similar, sour apple and grape with funky yeast. Flavor is lemon citrus, apple and grape juice, very tart with wild yeast funkiness. Finishes tart and funky with hints of woodiness. Nice active carbonation makes it look good in the glass and gives a nice mouth feel. The tart fruit and yeast funk were actually not too much more intense than other old lambics, which worked well for me. I'm not a big sour fan, but wanted to try this style, and this satisfied my taste for a champagne like, light sour ale. A fairly classy looking bottle and it looks great in the glass. If I liked sours a bit more, this would be in my fridge all the time.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Golden straw color that is hugely carbonated beverage comes with more head than you can shake a stick at. Watching the bubbles rise to the top almost reminds me of sparkling white wine or a champagne. I could not get my nose out of this beer, there's a peach note with musty mushrooms, hay, sour blueberries, farmhouse, wood, lemon, just straight up funk. And it smelled really good. The taste was sour, the bottle was about a year old but still had a brightness to it. Blueberries and peach, sour funk all with a nice prickly carbonation.

Really a fun beer to share with others and watch people guess all the aromas and what they are tasting in it. Great beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A benchmark for the style - well balanced and delicious

aroma: sweet and sour funk with lemon citrus, pepper and musty notes.

taste: lemon citrus, pepper, funk, wood, slight sherbet and some grapefruit bitterness. Great balance of sweet, sour and spice.

two words: quality beer!

4.09/5  rDev 0%

Liight orange towards golden in color; hazy. Pours with a rich 2+ finger head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving the slightest amount of foam on the surface of the beer and lacing on the sides of the glass. Nice sour (think green apple), citrusy aroma; made me want to taste the beer. Starts slightly acidic and citrusy, the progresses to a nice smooth sour finish that is slightly tart at the end. I found the taste refreshing and thirst-quenching. Light to medium body, lots of light carbonation that leaves a slight tingly sensation in your mouth. Overall I found this beer to be a solid sour that I would enjoy drinking again.

3.32/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene last month for $7.49 at Cork N Ale. I've never had this beer before, but since i like sours now I thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on March 21st 2011.. Poured from a green 12oz foiled bottle that had a cork underneath the bottle cap and I poured it into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks nice, along with the foiled top it's got a nice classy look to it and I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a nice hazy looking brighter yellow color that took on more of a darker golden hue when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- the aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by some fruity sourness being the first to show up, the sourness seems to be around the higher side of medium and the fruity aspect is very citrus like with a good amount of lemon aromas coming through. Up next comes a slight funky barn yard like aroma with some wet hay and grassy aromas coming through. From the middle to the end there's a pretty noticeable skunky aroma that I think might be from the green bottle. This beer had a decent aroma, but I could have gone without the skunky aspect.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by those sour fruit aspects that I got in the aroma and they impart a medium amount of sourness with lemon and other citrus like flavors coming through along with a slight apple aroma. Up next comes the yeast which proves to be much more earthier than it was in the aroma, but the wet straw aspects still comes through and it's followed by that same skunky aspects, but this time it seems to be just slightly lighter. On the finish there was a little bit of lingering sourness along with an earthy, lemon and light skunky like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but the overpowering earthy flavor and the skunky flavors really hold back the taste.

M- Not the smoothest, not too clean, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of high carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and as far as I can tell I think it's a pretty average example of the style and it doesn't really have any tastes or aromas that I think are really well done, it kind of falls right in the middle and that skunky and overly earthy aspect doesn't help. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, not too clean, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, not too filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think half is a little more than enough for me and I'm glad that I'm splitting this bottle with my brother and there's no way I would want to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was pretty good and to me it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the skunky aspect and the overly earthy flavors, if this beer didn't have those it might be a lot better. I would buy this beer again, but I would make sure it's a pretty fresh bottle since I don't think aged was too kind to this beer and as it stands now I don't think I would recommend it. All in all I was disappointed with this beer, I had heard good things about and I thought it would turn out to be a good sour, but it just had too many off aspects and in the end that really hurt this beer. This just might be my least favorite Gueuze and my least favorite beer from this brewery. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me, but I hope to try a fresher bottle in the future.

4.24/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750 mL capped & corked bottle into a Brewer's Art goblet. Moderate hand. No definitive date, but the label is stamped LI13MGC. Presumably a 2013.

A: Lightly cloudy honey-colored orange-yellow body. 1 finger of white head. Ok retention. Light lacing.

S: Citric and lactic acid sour with a touch of acetic. Suggests cherry, lemon, apple, pear. Hay. Grass. Basement.

T: Assertive, musty sourness immediately and throughout. Light bitterness on a rather dry finish. Lemon juice lingers in the aftertaste. No significant alcohol presence.

M: Effervescent with high carbonation that brings a nice fullness on the palate. Light to moderate body. Spritzy and refreshing, if not a bit prickly out of the gates.

O: A firmly sour gueuze with a solid and pleasant funk factor. Very good brew. Functioned as both a nice aperitif and a fitting complement to a rather spicy palak paneer and rotisserie chicken slathered with Sriracha.

Note: I had a terrible tasting of this in the past, which I attribute to a bad bottle. All the subsequent experiences have been consistent with the above review.

Prost!

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lindemans' Cuvee Rene, Gueuze Lambic.

A: Honeyed-apple cider look to it, with a few tiny little black flecks floating around. Frothy white head. Slight lacing. Sheeting hold quite a while.

S: It's got sort of a dry peach/pear smell, with a mild acidity. Honey. Dry apples. Very slight caramel.

T/MF: Hmm. I was expecting a little sweetness, but this is damn near bone dry. Acidity is much more mellow than the other Lindemans' Lambics, and more front-focused. Pear flavor only apparent as it settles. A very light acidic tingle holds to the tongue; all there is of a finish, pretty much.

I'd take one of the fruited cousins over this any day, but this is not bad.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, into a Belgian tulip glass.

2.9/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Enjoyed out of a 375 mL green bottle with a cork and cap, and marked with the vintage of 2012. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack Series tulip glass.

Appearance - So far, so good. A careful pour yields a large two-finger head of thick, sudsy, bone white foam. Retention is excellent, and it dissipates slowly, with significant pocking. Beneath the pillowy head lies a brassy golden liquid that is translucent, providing a clear view of the stream of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass to replenish the head.

Smell - The aroma is surprisingly nondescript, with some wet hay and barnyard funk, but very little of the tart and vinegar characteristics that I would expect from the style. There also seems to be a faint sweetness, which is surprising, given that I've read that this is one of the only Lindemans brews that doesn't get artificially sweetened.

Taste - Ugh. While the appearance was quite nice, and the aroma was rather dull, I'm just baffled at the scores on this beer, given the taste. I suppose it's possible that my bottle was not kept well before it got to my hands, but there just isn't much here. Generic funk, an almost mildew-like characteristic and an unshakeable impression of bile are really the only things going on here. There also seems to be just a touch of off-putting sweetness that is quite out-of-balance to my tastebuds. And there is almost zero of that puckering sourness that I love about my favorite takes on this style.

Mouthfeel - Light-bodied and moderate-to-high levels of carbonation that provide for a prickly, effervescent mouthfeel. The finish is mostly dry, but again that odd sweetness lingers, providing for a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

Overall, this beer just misses the mark. I'd read from multiple sources that this was Lindemans best offering, and if so, that is entirely disappointing. I had hoped to find a readily available and reasonably priced gueuze, but that is simply not the case. I'll stick to St. Louis Fond Tradition and Tilquin for my accessible gueuze needs.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

375ml bottle poured into a Lindemans gueuze tumbler.

The beer pours a clear apricot color, slight haze, hues of orange and gold with a soft, loose, fizzy white head that vanishes quickly leaving no lace or film. The aroma is earthy, nice funk, some oak, white wine grapes, musty, a bit of green apple, champagne like, a bit of citrus with some hay and pale grain. A bit of earthy dirt and pepper is present as well. The flavors are nice, earthy and dirty, lots of funk, mustiness, oak, pepper, dirt, pale grain and straw before the fruit sweeps over at the end, sour grapes, a bit vinous, tart apples as well with some grapefruit citrus and tanginess. The body is lively, albeit a bit heavier, crisp bubbles are a touch abrasive, it carries weight across the tongue, struggles to coat the mouth and finishes with a puckery zip.

Verdict: A very nice gueuze from Lindemans, surprisingly good relative to the rest of their lineup, which is unfortunately artificially sweetened. It's a bit dirtier and heavier for a gueuze than I prefer, but for the availability and price point, it's a remarkable value. Kudos to Lindemans for this, fine stuff.

3.99/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle dated 5/20/13

Slightly hazy golden pour with white head reducing to ring of lacing.

Pleasant nose with fresh lemon peel, light white grape and acidity.

Taste is crisp with a moderately fruity undertone - primarily grape, green apple and lemon zest. There is an earthiness on the palate and some oak. The finish is a bit bitter, tannic and very dry. The light, bready malts make an appearance but mostly don't get in the way. This beer is fairly sour with both lactic and acetic acid. Low on the funk factor.

Light, creamy carbonation makes for an easy drinking affair.

Overall, this is a great choice for a regularly available shelf gueuze. Its not a complex or entirely memorable experience, but it is a clean, enjoyable and refreshing sour beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From notes

Appearance: It has a nice hazy golden/orange color to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down moderately fast and leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of yeasty funk, tart lemons, grapes and some green apples.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has some tart lemons, yeasty funk, sour apples and some white grapes.

Mouthfeel: It has a med/high carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas.

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 1-year-old bottle into a white wine glass.
A: stunning yellow-orange color that almost matches the color of the paper in the bottle (coincidence?) when first poured lots of swirling bubbles like champagne but that stopped and did not reappear in subsequent pours
S: extremely potent. I could smell the beer immediately after opening standing three feet away. Both the funky weird aromas and the delicious sour aromas are present in spades.
T: incredible. You just can't stop sipping it because the sour taste is so refreshing and delicious. And, unlike what you see with a lot of Belgian sour ales (ie not lambics), you don't get any unpleasantness at all on the aftertaste
M: great of course. The tartness works perfect with the level of carbonation.
O: excellent. If you like funky sour beers this one is a no brainer.

3.96/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Bottled on May 2011; opened & drank on 4 April 2014.

Poured from 375mL bottle Iinto a chalice; it has a lightly golden appearance with a small head (< 1cm).

Smell was quite nice. The aroma distinctive of sours was present, though maybe not as pronounced as with some of the Oud Bruins or other sour styles that I'm more accustomed to drinking.

The first thing that struck me was the feel in the mouth: lots of carbonation. Accompanied with the characteristic dryness, it speaks to the style's nickname as Brussels Champagne.

The taste is quite sour, certainly. My palette my not be refined enough, but I found it fairly one-dimensional on thr taste. It's possible that the heavy carbination and acute sour taste pushed out any more hard to find flavors.

Overall, it was good, but I wouldn't pay the $15 to have it again. i'm not accustomed to gueze styles, though I do enjoy sours but found this a little over-powering. If you don't typically drink sours, I would build up to this.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle from Bottle Barn on my trip to Cali, shared with beastmaster. Dated May 2013, poured on March 29, 2014. Pours a slight cloudy deep orange color with a half finger white head. Aroma of sour mint leaves, some light citrus, dusty oak, sweet candy sugars. Mmmm. Flavor is citrusy, very lightly sour for a Geueze, and not as dry as I expected. Some juicy pear an lots of sweet and sour flavors going on.a

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

750ml bottle served in a chalice.

A: Pours an slightly cloudy orange color forming a medium sized big bubbled head with low retention and some lingering lacings left in the glass

S: Strong fruity and Lambic perfume left in the air. Strong notes of peaches. Sweet malts. Notes of white grapes vinegar. Lambic-like yeasts. A bit metallic

T: Follows the nose. Sweet grains mixed with a strong fruity upfront. Strong notes of peaches, white grapes, vinegar. Sour but not extremely. In overall, a quite dry and funky taste. A bit metallic in the mouth too

M: Light body. Good carbonation. White grapes vinegar aftertaste

O: Good drinkability. Classic Belgian fruity Lambic character. Classic

I found this at a local pizza shop in Charleston WV as my first Gueuze. Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene was golden in color and kind of cidery sweet tart. Slightly similar to dry wine mouthfeel. The finish had me wanting a 12 pack. Very enjoyable and highly recommended.

I am hunting for this everywhere I go and would love to find it on tap.

4.26/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml capped and corked bottle into a tulip.

pours a dark golden color with a nice head. smell of traditional vinegar, very acedic..lovely. taste is right on point . quite tart..not lip puckering but close. very funky and acedic and just awesome if you're a gueze fan. mild carbonation ... mild body.

overall one of the better readily available gueuzes. and the price point rocks.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a nice medium head with dark yellow color. Can't put my finger on how it smells. It smells like a typical lambic beer is all I can say. Taste is somewhat champagne but no sweetness. Nice carbonation, sour and a very slight bitterness at the finish. Tastes like it smells. Has that funkyness that everyone talks about. A very nice beer.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

Label says 5.5, LCBO sticker says 6.7. Big discrepancy there.

Pours a clear bronze gold with tons of huge, frenetic carbonation bubbles rushing in streams to the giant foamy white head. Retention is incredible, lasting most of the glass. Rustic funkyness, straw, wheat malt in the nose. Tart green apple, wet hay, citrus rind, stinky cheese, vinegar, cherries and many other lambic flavors fill the taste. The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with a full, prickly carbonation. The finish is ultra dry and quite sour.

This is a great Gueuze, perhaps not as extremely sour as some example, its full of complexity and funk. A standard for the style and a must try. I find the other Lambics of this brewery to be too sweet.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From a bottle dated 6 July 2012, poured into a Lindeman's flute.

A: Pretty straw gold with lots of champagne-like bubbles, tall eggshell colored head that recedes slowly, eventually leaving just a ring. Lots of floaty sediment as the carbonation slows.
S: Some good barnyard funk, lemon zest
T: Some sour lemon and a little raw ginger flavor, tart green grapes. Some nice sourness, although a little less than I was hoping for.
M: Light bodied with just about the right amount of carbonation.
O: Very enjoyable, a little less sour than I would like. Very good and much better than I expected from Lindeman's, my only other memorable experience being with their Framboise before I really drank beer.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

355ml bottle into a Petrus goblet. Brewed in Apr 2013.

A: Golden color. Very bubbly, some head, that quickly recedes.

S: Orange rind, grapes, a little spice, some earthiness.

T: Green grapes, citrus up front. A sour flavor comes through quickly and follows to the end. Some malts are apparent as it finishes. There is an earthiness to the flavor as well.

M: One word, light. A little sharp on the carbonation, but nothing harsh.

O: Tasty and interesting, but not overly complex. Flavors are not particularly bold or clear, but the lightness to the brew makes it enjoyable. Some to the character of this brew is a direct result of its age, 10 months. Older might be much better on this style.

4.06/5  rDev -0.7%

As my initial gueuze I was really pleased with this one. Lots of head on the pour, lots of little tight little bubbbles, hazy, orange color. The nose is initially a little tangy, a little funk, followed by some green apples or white grapes with sourdough bread - maybe my favorite part. Taste followed the smell for me - strong tart and sour green apples and 'farmy' funk on top of the bready sourdough flavor. Very tight bubbles and finishes extremely dry.

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Orange golden color. Very fizzy head (I can hear the beer fizz as I pour into the glass).

S: Grapes, lemon, bit of raspberry, orange rinds, and spice.

T: Grapes, big lemon citrus taste, orange rinds, vinegar, some kind of soapy seedy taste, bready malts on the back end. It has sort of a champagne-like character to it.

M: Pretty light, but expected. This one's got a sharpness to it, if that's the right word. It hits you with that nice carb that goes well with the flavors.

O: Not a bad brew, but I expected more of a complex profile. It would've been nicer for the flavors to be more prominent and for the mouth to be a bit more heavy (just a tiny bit), but I like the light carby feel.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - 4.25 - Nice orange amber color that's slightly hazy with a thick white 1/2 finger head that leaves lumpy lacing.
S - 4.25 - sour grapes, lemon juice, lime juice, fresh sour berries, sour patch kids, it's pretty awesomely sour.
T - 4.25 - sour grapes, lemons, limes, bready malt in the background.
M - 4.25 - light-medium. Alc covered. Aftertaste is bready malts and tart.
O - 4.25 - Great beer. I think I like the framboise best.

3.68/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle. Pours bubbly gold with thick white head. Smell is funk, lemon, yeast. Taste is sour/tart lemon, lime, dough. Champagne bubbles...cleans the palate. Goes down smooth. Quite refreshing. One of my first introductions to the style and I will definitely be back for more.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans