Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Reviews: 847 | Hads: 1,936
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Pleasantly golden color with a nice full head.

S - Not very powerful, but unique, winey aroma. Coincides with notes of crisp fruit

T - considering the Lindeman's beers I've had in the past, the sour punch of this one took me by surprise. Was initially turned off to it, but I stuck through it and it grew on me. I love sour flavors, and the bright, eye-opening fruity sour in this beer is a refreshing change of pace.

M - Slightly harsh on the palate, with its smoothness cut right through by the acid. Decent carbonation.

D - Definitely a one-at-a-time beer. I definitely enjoyed it, but you'd have to be nuts to drink more than one bottle of this beer at a time.

Overall, this one won't be for everyone, but it definitely warrants a tasting session.

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a cloudy dark golden orange color with a thick foamy head. Funky tart aroma that is sweet, sour and vinuous at the same time with yeast and light crisp frruit notes. Sour and puckering with a nice amount of carbonation. Champagne-like with sweet crisp light fruits (apple, pear and grape) and a very dry sour finish. Acidic.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Reviewed on 3/4/08. 750 mL bottle. Poured a light orange with a small white head. Aroma of barnyard funk, tart fruits. Taste was of tart raspberries and apple. I liked this one because it wasn't TOO sour and was easy to drink. An excellent gueuze. 8/4/7/4/15 (3.8/5)

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours slightly hazy honeyed yellow color with white head.

Nose has fruity chalk, some cardboard (in a good way), and musty fruit.

Sour bomb on the palate, but that's expected with this style. Fruitiness reminds me of peach, apricot, and more. Finishes sour as well, but not overwhelmingly sour.

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Straw colored. Crystal clear. Effervescent Champagne like head.

Smell: Banana aromas shine through with the horsey brett aroma.

Taste: Sour tartness dominates. Very nice and tart. No sweetness. Excellent.

Mouthfeel: Puckering tartness is awesome in this beer. One of their best beers.

Drinkability: I was initally scared to drink this beer but after trying it am very impressed. I will definitely be drinking again.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

I have been searching for a great sour beer lately. I saw a couple of these on a shelf and decided to give it a try. Impressed? Hell yeah. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

***2006 Vintage***

A- Hazy golden color. Nice inch of head. Lacing is definitely there. Cool looking carbonation...

S- Popped the cork. Immediately got a huge whiff of earthy funkiness. Like herbs and medicine. Sour tart and the sweetest juice you have ever smelled.

T- Here is the best part. One sip and I was completely hooked. Sour sour sour sour sour. Did I say sour? Apples and tropical fruits. The same earthy funkiness from the smell was definitely all over my tongue at this point. I am HOOKED on tart flavors. Kept me coming back for more.

M- Carbonation. Tingly and really carbonated but completely appropriate.

D- I drank the whole bottle with complete ease. And I totally want another one. I will be buying the whole stores stock of this stuff. LOVE IT. BRING ON MORE GUEZE!

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours as a golden tan, bubbly looking brew.

I am not a big Lindemans fan, but I went into this with an open mind ... and nose. The smell really reassured me. Funky, barnyard horse mustiness, and a bit of unripe apple/pear.

Flavor adds oak to the mix, but the same unripe apple/pear and barnyard funk notes that I detected in the aroma carry through. A noticeably sour beer, but one that isn't as overwhelmingly sour as other (much higher priced) beers. But, sour enough, and very unlike their other brews.

At only 10.99 a bottle, I may buy them out.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to lithy, a great trader for this beer.

Poured from a capped and corked 12oz bottle into a snifter. Light golden in color with a small white head. Minimal amount of lacing.

Aroma is slightly sweet with a touch of hay and horse (I guess some people call it "barnyard funk". Sound good to me.). Certainly smells tarty and sour. A bit of floralness.

Really quite tart and somewhat salty. Kind of feels like I am drinking sea water. Taste is fruity. Green apples and lemon pith. Really tart.

I havent had too many Guezes but I really enjoy them. I enjoy the sour ones the most and this was pretty sour and tart. I really liked it. Best part is, it is light in alcohol so it is quite thirst quenching. Thanks again lithy.

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

Best by 2017

A: Pours a hazy golden with a one-finger, bubbly head. The head quickly dissipates with flares of lacing on the glass.

S: The usual gueuze funk (although somewhat subdued) with light aromas of citrus and tropical fruit.

T: Some funk with a mixture of minty and fruity flavors. Compared to others, this one is not nearly as tart and the flavors not as bold.

M: Light-bodied and quite fizzy and dry.

D: Compared to the others that I've had, this is like a gueuze with training wheels - which makes this a good one for those who are have not been initiated to intensely sour Belgians. Overall, it's good, but I'd rather have a Drie Fonteinen.

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

Nice hazy golden colored liquid, almost cloudy. One finger head of foam that dissipates smoothly to leave a nice filmy covering. Very good lacing.

Smell is powerful to the point of room-filling. Not that that's a bad thing, though. It's quite pleasant. Tart sour apples. Honey sweetness. Band-aid phenols. Slight pepperey spiciness.
Overall it smells like a nice big basket of tart fruits.

Man that is one good sour-bomb! Taste is very much like cider on steroids. Big, powerful and tasty. Definite sour apple presence. Light honey sweetness that brings a small bit of balance. Acidic presence of fresh squeezed lemons or slightly under-ripened peaches. Nice bit of spice on the back end. All wrapped up in a slight bit of musty funk.

Nice crisp and clean in the mouth. Nothing overpowering. Kind of unexpected for a sour, but quite enjoyable. Very satisfying and easy to drink.

Mmmm! This is one tasty, tasty bottle. Would like to have it over and over again. Very highly drinkable, as long as you aren't opposed to sours.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

750 mL bottle corked and capped, with 2005 on the bottle.

Appearance: Poured a slightly hazy gold/orange color with a two finger white head. Lacing was abundant, but not the typical lacing I'm used to. Very random small patterns.

Smell: First notes are dank and musty, almost moldy. Fades into a tart aroma.

Taste: Initial flavor tastes like a good champagne to me. The quickly fades to green apples with pear notes and a lingering green apple flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very dry, with a light body and good carbonation.

Drinkability: I rated this low because I think this beer would be too much after a while.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a half finger head with decent retnetion and an effervesence that maintains itself throughout. Cloudy orange/yellow color.

A little bit of barnyard funk with a sour green apple smell.

Huge sour green apple flavor with a bit of barnyard funk. Hugely dry on the palate with a good amount of sour flavor. The intense dryness isn't puckering though. Very interesting style. I think I like it.

A criticism of the beer is that there isn't enough body behind the sour green apple flavor.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Vibrant orange colour with a light orange head. This beer has a great feel to it already.
S - It has a tart, fruity aroma.
T - Very fruity, tart, dry, sour taste. Tastes like sweet tarts candy to me. Brings me back to my youth.
M - It has a splendid light body.
D - This is a great beer overall but I am not sure that it has great drink-ability for me. It seems like its tart flavour would start to rub me the wrong way after a few of these.

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a cloudy golden/orange color. A foamy white head forms, but recedes fast. Some light sticky lace is left behind.
S: Some barnyard funk and hey. Light dough and biscuit aromas.
T: This is SOUR. To me this tastes like sour hard candy. I can't pick up any other flavors. Cloying sweetness.
M/D: Good carbonation. A light to medium body. The sourness really takes away from the drinkability.

Did I mention this was sour? I prefer Lindemans other gueuze to this (much more fruit flavors and depth IMO). It is still interesting, just not my cup of tea.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Slightly orange with a head that doesn't stick around much. Pretty looking

S: Fruity and tart. Great for a Gueze

T: Stout and tart. The sourness comes through first followed by a pleasing tartness. The fruit taste lingers until the end. It's a great balance of all flavours.

M: A bit thin on the mouthfeel. It doesn't really help or hurt the beer.

D: For a gueze yes.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Beer pours a dark golden color with a modest head. The aroma is citrus big time with some barnyard smells lying beneath. This beer is tart and sour. It brings flavors of lemon and sour apple. Acidic, dry, and puckery. Yet somehow I can set this drinkable brew down. A great beer. Definitely give a try if you have not had a chance.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy, golden color with minimal white head that stays with you til the end. Aroma smells of tart citrus, sour apple, a bit of mustiness and funk. Great representation of the Gueze style. Taste is very good. Sour apple dominates the flavor for me with a bit of mustiness tucked in there. Mouthfeel is a little thin for my taste, although I haven't had a great deal of Guezues. Drinkability is great. I can't get enough of this and think it is a great introduction into the world of sours.

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a light golden orange color with a thin creamy white head. A noticeable amount of floaties and haziness was detected.

S: The nose brought forth some sour oranges, tart green apples and citrusy lemons on nose. A big funky barnyard sourness as well, that was full of sour fruit.

T: a nice yeastiness and barnyard muskiness of wet grains, hay, and sour fruit. There was a big tart and acidic nature to the beer with fresh squeezed lemons and some vinegar. Finishes with a big funky sourness from the yeast, sour apples and oranges, peaches, and lemon with some old bread notes.

M: Body is light, tart and acidic with a spritzy carbonation.

D: Complexity of flavor is okay but not a lot going on but is decent overall and best shared with a friend. .

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

2007 date on bottle.

A-Orangey, just to the yellow side of weak tang, with a finely bubbled fizz that persists only at the edges of the glass.

S-Faint pilsner malt aroma, with some medicinal overtones.

T-sharply tart, but some malt and mineral apparent if one swishes, near the finish.

M-Winey, champanois sort of mouth feel.

D- I am of two minds. Light body and tartness are at odds. The tartness is almost too much for me, obscuring the malt and the bretty characters.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Capped and corked 750 bottle on 03/2007.

I poured this into my oversized Triple Karmeliet tulip using several pours. This is my first tango with a gueze so bare with me. The appearance is a hazy peach that burst forth a large white head that melts away into a gentle ring on the sides of the glass. This beer has a surprisingly think appearance. Even when held to the light, nothing will show through. The aroma is musty at first, then with tart citric notes that come fluttering in. There are also spicy notes that almost remind me of the nutmeg aromas from a pumpkin pie. The aroma is very complex but yet oddly straightforward. While it seems that there are many notes coming from the beer, with every new whiff something else comes through. All the aromas are straightforward. The taste is again musty up front with just a slight bit of funk. Then its cheek puckering citric tartness, the kind that hits you right behind the jaw. This is really good. The mouthfeel is crisp and very dry, with just a light carbonation that lends itself to the dryness. This is a great beer. Very well crafted by the brewers at Lindemans. Unfortunately, its not something I could drink everyday.

Poured from a 12 oz. corked and capped bottle of unknown date into a tulip glass.

Appears a slightly hazy golden color with a one inch white head. Leaves some big sheets of lace on the side of the glass.

Aroma is somewhat tart - reminds me of green apples and lemon zest. There is also a sugary sweetness below the tartness.

When the beer initially enters the mouth it seems like there is a mild sweetness but then right as I swallow more lemony sourness comes up followed by a green apple-like dry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, crisp with creamy carbonation.

This one's pretty good though I haven't much to compare to. Will continue to explore the world of sours.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours out a really cloudy yellow with two fingers of white fluffy suds.
Smell is sour lemon peel and sour apple carmel sugar.
Taste is pure sour tannins and grape/cherry skins. Good taste all around. Not too much caramel and sugar but nice dark lemon and cherry flavors abound.
Mouthfeel is very clean and there is very little oily residue.
Drinkability will be high here. One can get this beer locally at Roof Brothers in Paducah.

3.86/5  rDev -5.4%

Pale golden in color as I rolls into the wine glass. Rocky, thick bright white head slowly dissipates. Very clear, light carbonation. I like the corked and capped bottles: classy. From a distance this beer smells like apples. Very tart and sweet. As I bring it to my nose and sniff I smell a dirty, funky smell. I am in complete ignorance as far as what this beer is going to taste like because I have never had the style, and I haven't read much about this particular beer. I chose it because it was different. The flavor is wild (literally, lol). Very tart at the beginning with pure sourness. The sourness quickly transitions into a CO2 taste and then it is extinguished. I will have to keep sipping for a while before I can get my taste buds around this one. There is some malt way in the back under the sourness. I think the hops are similar to that of a nice dry saison. As the sips pass, it begins to take on a grapy taste. Lots going on here. Dry at the end. I will have to explore this style more in order to find relativity, but I think that this beer has been considered one of the finer examples of a gueuze.

I love Belgium.

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a golden color with a good inch of foam, pretty good retention too.

Aroma was a pleasantly funky at first but as it warmed up it got sweeter, maltier. There's some faint lemon peel, crackers, cheese, mineral water, and some tropical fruits. Not too impressed.

Lemon upfront with some dry salty crackers in the second half. Not overly complex but actually good for the price. Wish the aftertaste was a little longer, it just seems to fall flat rather quickly. A little alka-seltzer too.

Good carbonation.

Decent for the price.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

35 cl bottle corked and capped. With a 'best before' of 2017 this can be considered more than reasonably fresh.

A clear and well polished body with glimmering peach hue; it is scintillating and bright in colour. A ring of white puts bold traces around its perimeter and spreads a thin sheeting across its middle. This looks like a sunny summer day; it triggers a response that not only says "I'm thirsty" but also "life is good."

The aroma is unmistakably that of a lambic. While it doesn't boast as much of the 'barnyard' character, it certainly boast enough sourness, and some portion of acidity, to consider this a great smelling gueuze. Plenty of sugar, buttery oak, and tart green apples.

The flavours continue with notes of soured orchard fruit, vanilla coated oak, light citrus, light clove, unrefined sugar, green grapes, and a bushel full of earthy barnyard wheat. The flavour is not unlike a champagne or white wine that has been diluted with sugar and intensely soured.

With lambic, the name of the game is sour and unlike his sweetened lineup of fruit beers, Rene Lindeman certainly plays by the rules with his gueuze. While he doesn't boast the level of 'funk' that some of his peers do, this gueuze offers a great depth in flavour, full leathery texture, and more than pleasurable drinkability.

Further unlike the sweetened fruit lineup, nothing about the Cuvee Rene tastes commercial. Strains of wild yeast, be they Brettanomyces bruxellensis, Brettanomyces lambicus, Saccharomyces cerevisiae or whatever other cultures entered through the barn's walls impart a tremendous character to the beer. It is every bit as distinct as it is tart.

In the future I'll have to empty out the wallet for the wine sized bottle because this personal sized serving was simply not enough. Although it didn't impress me as much as some of what Belgium's other (more traditional) lambic producers offer, this was still hands down every bit as charming and pleasant I've known gueuzes to be.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans