Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Reviews: 845 | Hads: 1,930
3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: Pour is a pale golden-straw

Smell: Lemon-vinegar citrus, bit of coriander-type spice, grass, little funk

Taste: More sour than I expected, big lemon but not much depth/complexity.

Drinkability: High, nice for what it is. Good, available, approachable gueuze.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured 12 oz. bottle into a flute.

A: Pours a light amber, almost orange, which is pretty hazy. White, one finger head that disappears quickly.

S: As soon as I took the cap and cork off, it smelled like someone had opened a bag of weed--seriously (I wouldn't call the smell 'skunky' though). So, I guess this one smelled a bit like herbs or grass. A few more whiffs and I picked up lots of sweetness, alcohol, and clove.

T: This is the first lambic I've tried before and honestly, wasn't too crazy about the taste--obviously quite sour. It kept getting more sour as I drank more.

M: Pretty light, but the tannins make it linger. Very astringent and metallic.

D: Like I said earlier, I'm not crazy about sour beer, so I wouldn't reach for more than one more, but I'm glad I tried it.

I'll be in Belgium in the fall and am going to check out a few breweries, including Cantillon, so maybe I'll have a renewed appreciation for lambics when I get back...

3.64/5  rDev -10.8%

This is the Cuvee Rene 1998

A hint, just a hint of metal at "start", but compared to the metallic demeanor of the 1996 vintage Cuvee Rene, this bottle of ’98 was devoid of that strange bewildering, yet temporary flavor.

After the metal sheen had worn away from the start of the ‘96, I'd declare its flavor to be more complex and engaging - a bit more of the yeast and bucolic overtones than its slightly newer sibling.

The 1998 Cuvee Rene cascaded from the bottle bearing a light amber color- with a hint of turbidity-- just enough to whet my anticipation for the possibilities years of bottle conditioning wrought.

The head-- a foamy froth that like a shaky card house came tumbling down as its foundation undermined thanks to the relentless ravages of the air

The nose- some hints of yeast, some hints of malt, some hints of grapes and tannin.

The flavor- transparent and perhaps even thin. I awaited with anxious taste buds poised for the deus ex machina to emerge saving the day-- where was the white knight of complexity riding into the scene-- unleashing and unshackling that vagabond of wonderful flavor images; of rural Belgium, of the vineyards, of the old brewery with its master brewer transfixed by the fruits of his flavorful art?

At heart this Cuvee Rene possessed a light, tart flavor-- an unmistakable austerity laden with dryness. A cordial mouthfeel kept me craving for more.

A clean lasting finish followed every sip.

In conclusion: I tasted nothing to sneer at, but nothing with which to declare the end of all gueuzes.

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Cloudy full-headed beauty, minimal carbonation as far as appearance.
Enticing aroma, but not as room-filling as I would have hoped for. Sour/vinegar/funk that projects itself on your tongue, but then falls a little flat. Maybe a tad bit too much sour apple, and slightly out-of-balance.
Moderately refreshing, and drinkable, but not fantastic. How is this a Cuvee?

3.63/5  rDev -11%

MY 500th Review. I was so excited I picked out a special beer of a style I was highly anticipating and never had before. It was not a cheep beer and I have been very pleased with my experiences with Lindemans previously, so had high expectations. Unfortunately, this was not the divine experience I was imagining. It was very intense and intimidating to start. Half way through the 750 ml bottle I started to change my tune. It is a beer that did eventually grow on me but I am not sure it is a style I have acquired the taste for yet. Here is the break down:

Presentation: Corked caped and wrapped in foil this 750 ML bottle is impenetrable. When I pulled the cork it pop like a champagne bottle. The bottle indicates it was bottled in 05. Now drank in 06.

Appearance: Starts off looking fantastic. Pours a hazy light golden color with a huge head that had great retention in my flute glass. Every pour that wasn't careful enough ended with the big head running over my glass. There is massive carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. The lacing is impressive. Huge sticky rings of foamy lacing are pasted to the glass all the way around.

Smell: The aroma is big and pleasant. It is boldly tart but with a balancing sweet yeast character. The aroma is highly acidic with a Monk's Flemish Sour Red Ale meets a Saison type of aroma. Certainly it is new and unique to me the vinegar and green apple lemon grass aroma may be typical in the style, if you are more familiar with it than I.

Taste: This beer is pucker-forcing tart with a sour vinegar attribute and a balancing dry malt. It has some of the crazy funny bitey yeast flavors of a wild ale or a Saison but is more intensely tart like drinking lemon juice. For the first hour I was drinking this beer I got noting but tart. Whether it was the warming of the beer or my palate adjusting, it did eventually reveal some additional depth with some unique yeast funky cherry and grape and bitey spicy farmhouse, woodiness and dry bread flavors (I think there was a hint of blue cheese am I crazy? maybe it is that mold snappy flavor)

Mouthfeel: Extremely crisp and almost forcefully aggressive in the mouth with intense dryness, still mostly refreshing.

Drinkability: Unfortunately, for me, this beer drank a bit like vinegar. A little bit in this or that is great but I don't want to drink much straight. It was just to acidic for me. It actually felt like a very challenging chore to get through the bottle. Somewhere along the line I got a headache, was it the sour or the thinking so hard about it. I think a 6 or 8 oz serving would have been ideal except that I wouldn't have adjusted to the flavor yet. 750 ML was far too much.

Hope this is helpful.

Date on label says: 15 NOV 2007

Picked this one out because, well, i've never had this style and wanted to try it.
Capped and corked got me a little weirded out to start with, but okay here it goes

Poured this into my lost abbey tulip glass
A - bright gold with a sizeable white head that filled the glass and looked to be pretty thick, then fell quickly leaving no lacing around the glass.

S - Citrus and sour with a trailing off smell of funky that i'm learning to enjoy a bit more

T - Sour and sour with a bit of funk at the end again

M - Carbonation is a bit high for my liking, kinda smooth but in a champagne kind of way

D - Not bad for my first gueuze, but not my favorite style. I'll try one of these again, but it won't be for a while.

750mL corked gold foil top poured into lindeman's signature tall glass

A- Bright orange / yellow, hazy, down right gorgeous

S- mild funk accompanied by chalky yeast, citrus comes through although overwhelmed by the funk. quite a pleasant aroma, not the most aromatic geuze i've seen, just mild and welcoming.

T- surprised me here. less tart /sour than expected from the smell, but a nice play of sour notes. kind of a watery tartness to start, which is then dominated by the chalky yeast flavors. the finish is dry and somewhat prickly, followed by a lingering mild sourness. refeshing indeed, and not off-putting in any way.

M- thin, watery to start, but then the mix of yeast, sour funk, and prickly carb assault your tongue and mouth midway through making it a very nice introductory geuze. nice spritzy feel, not unlike a champagne.

O- a good geuze. definitely the only beer of lineman's i'd get down on. for the price and availability, you can't really do better in this style. i just wish it were a bit more funky - super refreshing though.

3.62/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As I was unscrewing the cork outta this beer it flew out about 3 feet high with the wine key still attached.

Poured a 2 finger white head, tons of bubbles rising also. Body is a clear light gold color, similar to a kolsch.

Smell is sour and of vinegar. There is also some hay and acidity. Not much malt or hops.

First taste is the sourness that immediately makes my mouth pucker. Lots of acidity, green apples, and vinegar. No malt or hops are there, but there is an after taste of band aids.

Mouth feel is above average. Body is light and highly carbonated.

Drink ability was above average. Sourness got to me about halfway through the bottle. Dont think I could drink more than one at a time.

3.62/5  rDev -11.3%

[Best served in a Flute glass]

The pour was a clear golden orange with a huge (3-4 finger) white pillowy head that reduced to a thin cap which lasted throughout and had fair light spotty lacing.

The aroma was of a funky barnyard Belgian yeast and some light grain malts with notes of citrus (lemon), green apple, pears and a mild white grape winey odor.

The taste was sour yet still slightly sweet with hints of apple and pear early on, but quickly became very sour with a slight acetic taste taking over. It also possessed notes of yeast and citrus with a mild white wine presence at the end. The flavor lasted a nice long while, with a fruity tart taste left lying on the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was light in body and dry in texture with a very strong champagne like carbonation.

Overall a good tart fruity brew with a nice sweet sour ending...

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottled 4/5/06.

Appearance - Straw-colored, hazy and opaque. An inch of head appears upon the first pour, which settles into a ring rather quickly.

Smell - Mild funk mixed with sour, unripened fruit. Apple cider, vinegar and lemons, hay. Pretty approachable for a gueuze as the funk is fairly reigned-in and mild.

Taste/mouthfeel - Very sour, both lactic and acetic. I'm generally used to Lindemans beers being too sweet and syrupy, so this is a nice surprise. Strong notes of sourdough bread, lemon juice, green apples and vinegar. Tart, fruity notes linger on the palate in the finish. Pretty light-bodied stuff, and very refreshing. Not a top notch gueuze, but a solid one.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I drank this from a 375ml bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a cloudy orange/gold with a very light white head that rises about a finger and fades quickly. There is very light lacing.

The aroma is pretty light and its mostly musky tart horse blanket.

The taste is ok, not overly complex. It starts pretty neutral, not much flavor at all. It fades to the end with a bit of tart, but you really don't get much of a tartness until after you swallow where you are hit with some tart.

The feel is so-so.

For a gueze its pretty drinkable because you're ont overwhelmed with flavor, but I don't think you'd necessarily want to drink it because its pretty boring.

Overall, a pretty average to below average gueze. Its not complex, or overally flavorful so this might be a good one for beginners of lambics.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

For the price you really can't beat this Gueze.

While I prefer Consecration and many of the RR sours this is still very good.

The pour is a real light tangerine/yellow with ample head. I've had bottles with much sediment and others bare. Not sure why, but I've noticed this a lot.

I've also had a bottle that was sour beyond recognition. This is a Gueze that should always be in the refrigerator when you are drinking without a special event.

3.59/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: It pours a hazy amber with a thin white head. Lots of visible carbonation.

S: The aroma is slightly woody, with strong notes of vinegar. Light fruity notes as well (apple, lemon.)

T: extremely tart. lemons and vinegar. Light woody notes again. There is also a mild bitterness on the finish.

M: clean, refreshing. Light bodied, with less carbonation than I expected.

O: not too sure about this one. Its pretty acidic.

3.59/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750 ml bottle corked and capped. Bottled on 10 Aug 2012. Imbibed on 6 April 2013.

A- Cloudy dark gold or straw in color. Thin but lively barely off white head with good retention due to the very visible and active carbonation. Minimal lacing.

S- Sour, funky, fermented cabbage, stinky cheese, lemons past their prime, some grassy malty barnyard smells.

T- Definitely tastes very sour and finishes even more sour. There are some yeasty, estery, tart, lemon citrus and hard to pinpoint flavors. Almost reminds me of tonic water with lemon, or a rich dry champagne. It could also be compared to drinking a soured hard cider make with sour green crab apples. I'm assuming none of the flavors are off for the style, but they are a little intense and not quite to the liking of my palate. However, I am admittedly a neophyte to the Gueuze style.

M- Very fizzy and carbonated with a thin champagne like body. There are also some strong alcoholic fumes and flavors, especially during retro-olfaction.

O- There are some flavors and aromas here that are enjoyable, but others are off putting and not quite pleasant. Overall, it was an enjoyable new beer experience, as I am always excited to expand my beer horizons.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a light burnt orange color with a decent cap of fizzy white head. It smells like a gueuze (which makes sense I guess). A tart lactic aroma up front with a light brett funk behind it, definitely in the wet hay spectrum of aromas. The taste was good, not terribly complex but interesting enough to keep me coming back for more. The mouthfeel was very nice, a medium high level of carbonation and very dry body make this extremely drinkable. Overall, a very solid everyday gueuze, readily available though not as complex as some of the other offerings out there.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

A: honey/golden color with thin white head that dissolves quickly
S: sour, apples, sour lemon, hay, earth
T: funky and vinegary. Initially my first full reminded me of acidic vomit but then as I continued to drink the geuze, I tasted sour cherries and green apple. Funky and different. My first geuze.
M: very bubbly and effervescent. Almost like champagne but not as drying.
O: definitely interested in trying other geuzes now. I don't think I have a strong palate for the flavors yet I well definitely develop one!

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lindemans' Cuvee Rene, Gueuze Lambic.

A: Honeyed-apple cider look to it, with a few tiny little black flecks floating around. Frothy white head. Slight lacing. Sheeting hold quite a while.

S: It's got sort of a dry peach/pear smell, with a mild acidity. Honey. Dry apples. Very slight caramel.

T/MF: Hmm. I was expecting a little sweetness, but this is damn near bone dry. Acidity is much more mellow than the other Lindemans' Lambics, and more front-focused. Pear flavor only apparent as it settles. A very light acidic tingle holds to the tongue; all there is of a finish, pretty much.

I'd take one of the fruited cousins over this any day, but this is not bad.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, into a Belgian tulip glass.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

A- Looks like a good lambic. Straw color, golden pale orange.

S- Very funky. Lemons, apples, barnyard.

T- I love lambics, but this one, for me, is just a touch too funky. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but I think a little too one dimensional.

M- Very good carbonation and drinkability.

O- I would buy this again, but wouldn't name it among my top five favorite lambics.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

This Gueuze pours out as a really nice bright golden yellow with a pretty nice looking head to which was interesting. The smell was not as acidic as most beer of this style out there but it gave me some reassurance that this brew would be drinkable. The acidic smell was balanced with a sweetness on the nose. The taste was also balanced in the same manner. I really was surprised on how drinkable this was for me. Most of the time a Gueuze is just too much for me.

From Platinum. BB 2017

First of style.

Pours a hazy gold. Two finger fluffy white head.

Aromas of lemon zest, a little yeast, funk, barnyard.

Intensely sour puckering flavours of lemons, vinigrette / vinegar. Astringent tart aftertaste. Sour candy. Very complex.

Mouthfeel lively and well carbonated.

All in all a well made beer, and glad to be on the sour journey...

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

750 mL bottle from October 2010 poured into a Portsmouth tulip.

Pours a pretty clear yellow-gold, bordering on tangerine. A one-finger pure white head lasts a little while, leaving minimal lacing on the glass. A little bit of suspended yeast that I couldn't quite keep in the bottle, but not too much.

Tons of tart green apples in the aroma. The sourness really doesn't remind me of lemons, limes or other citrus fruits. Instead, I'm reminded of that first bite of a Granny Smith. There's a little cheesy funk in the mix, too, but overall it's quite sweet-smelling.

Sour and slightly tart up front in the taste, with an unmistakable sweet green apple finish. Though the taste is more sour than the aroma would indicate, this is far from mouth-puckering. Some underlying grassy funk at work, but I'd be hard pressed to identify any horse blankets or moldy barnyards. Sweet, if a little muted.

The mouthfeel is great, with solid carbonation. This is a very drinkable gueuze.

There are a host of reasons why Cuvee Rene is a great starter sour. In addition to the relatively innocuous tartness, the price tag really cannot be beat - my $10.75 bottle was on a shelf next to a $13 375 mL of 3F Oude Geuze. In a pinch, this is a great sour pickup.

3.57/5  rDev -12.5%

poured from a 355ml.
appearance is quite perfect really. holding the glass up to the light yields a nice thick golden hue that i wish i saw more frequently. fairly long lasting head thats glides nicely down the side of the glass every time i take a sip. it smells lightly funky but not overwhelming by any means. little bit of granny smith apple that comes through quite a bit more in the taste. its fiarly sour and i enjoy the balance. this being said i think its a good jumping off point for those new to the style. its definitely drinkable in that sense and makes a nice treat to share with my girl as a treat after dinner tonite... yum!

3.56/5  rDev -12.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Bruery tulip. No date or info.

A - A light haze forms in the pale golden yellow beer. A small white head rises up to just lower back down right away. Specks of lace are dotted on the glass randomly. For how acidic it smells, this seems fair.

S - A slight skunky waft enters my nose but disappears just as quickly as it came. Afterwards I pick up a lightly funky, slightly acidic pale malt scent. A swirl brings out more of the acidity as well as an old cheese funk.

T - Tangy acidic sour smacks the mouth right away bringing with it a zingy Sweet Tart-like finish with a hint of fruit. Mainly white grapes. A bit of bananas as well perhaps. Not much else is going on here. The sour, wet wood, acidic funk overtakes all.

M - Tart acid is mouth-puckering in this medium-light bodied beer. Low carbonation is surprising and unwelcome here.

D - I was hoping, from all I heard, that this beer would be a great way to kick off my next 1,000 reviews, but alas, it;s actually rather bland besides the sourness. I'm not sold on the idea that this beer is really light-struck although the information points to that. I'm definitely up for a second try though.

3.56/5  rDev -12.7%

375ml into a tumbler, no decipherable date or vintage marking on the bottle.

Upon pouring, the liquid appears a some what hazy straw golden yellow with a one finger head. Effervescent bubbles dance to the top in rapid fashion and rest under the head.

The smell is forward with hay and lemon rind, with musty notes throughout. Kind of subtle for a gueuze, really. Less aromatic than most other gueuzes I'm used to drinking.

Big citric notes on the tongue at first, like biting into a lemon. Followed by sweet, airy wheat flavors and some funk similar to hay and a damp cellar. Not exactly cheesey but not a clean citric acidic flavor to this either, it seems like there is some lactic in there as well. Finishes with more of that tart lemon flavor.

Mouthfeel is thin-medium and spritzy. A little sticky as well. Drying on the palate upon swallowing.

Overall, an okay gueuze. Lacking in aroma but the lemon and earthy hay flavors are nice. A more approachable take on the style, and something I try to suggest to people when wanting to try a gueuze for the first time. Also, it's availability and price is nice which helps my overall opinion of the beer.

3.55/5  rDev -13%

375ml bottle poured into a chalice

fluffy white head reduces to a collar on top of a hazy gold body of liquid. Smell is acidic, green apples, pear, pretty clean smell. Not really funky. Taste is moderately sour up front then changes to sweet apples. Sweaty, fatty and lactic. Finishes dry and a little tasteless. Refreshing for the style and easy to drink.

Not infinitely complex nor is it one dimensional. Very good value and a good place to start when you want to ease your way into the style.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans