2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,412 | Reviews: 775 | Show All Ratings:
JayTheFinn

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Picked one of these up at San Roque Market in Santa Barbara, CA. I'm a gueuze novice, so take my critique with a grain of salt. I wasn't overly impressed with the bland pale body, but it did have a healthy looking amount of carbonation. Not a very strong smell, but there is an apple cider and vinegar scent most predominantly. The scent is magnified in the flavor. It's a strong sourness of cider, vinegar and lemon which hits the tongue and numbs it up good. This feels like a sipper, but I found myself gulping it down after I noticed that sipping or gulping didn't effect the level of sourness, and I felt I might as well as drink as much of it as I could considering the cost.

04-23-2007 00:10:18 | More by JayTheFinn
Beejay

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Pear in color with just the slightest bit of head at the top. This dissipates immediately.

S: Tart acidic, and maybe just a little bit of horse blanket. But with a little bit of underlying over ripe fruit.

T: Wow. That makes you pucker. Slight barnyard taste at first and then the tart hits.. strong and sour. This is a sipping beer for sure.

M: Thin, but well carbonated.

D: Sorry, but not really.. Good for the style, bad for kicking back a few with the boys.

10-21-2009 00:53:21 | More by Beejay
LordAdmNelson

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a light hazy yellow with small white head that fades rather quickly. Looks bubbly and well-carbonated. Smell isn't exactly my style, maybe because I'm not too educated in gueuzes, but I'm not a huge fan. Some good lemon notes and grassy notes are there, but (is there brett in here?) there are also other notes that don't appeal to me much--armpit and must. I tend to prefer the funky flavor/aroma to the sweaty one. Taste however is pretty good. This one is puckeringly tart with some crisp lemon zest flavor. It really slaps you in the face. There's a bit of pale malt behind it too. I feel like I'm more of a fan of the sour/vinegar side of the spectrum rather than the tart side of the spectrum. Not bad at all, though. Light body, big carbonation, like champagne, kind of. Good drinkability, though I can't see me having more than one. Good intro to gueuzes for me.

02-02-2010 22:23:37 | More by LordAdmNelson
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

Bottle from ABS Drinks outside Brussels. Shared with a friend. From notes.

A - Poured gold with no visible carbonation. Bright. No lacing left and just a ring of retention.

S - Nice. Full of grape, sour notes, and lemon.

T - Much nicer than the aroma which seemed a little muted. Lot's of grapes, dust, and lemon. A stingy sour note up front turns to a little sweetness then back to sour.

M - Strong carbonation with a medium body.

O/D - Not a bad Gueuze but not a great one. Seems run of the mill. Worth a try though. Nothing really jumps out about it.

05-24-2011 11:50:54 | More by tbeckett
UCLABrewN84

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

The cork came out of the bottle with no pop or anything so I hope there isn't something wrong with this one. Pours a murky honey orange with no head and no lace. The lack of head and lace combined with the absence of cork sounds make me think there is a carbonation issue at hand. Smell is of cork, damp wood, and some funky/sour aromas. Taste is mainly of funk and sour flavors but pretty tame overall. A bit acidic in the throat. This beer has almost no carbonation with a pretty flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good gueuze as is but I have had other bottles of this that were much better (and more carbonated). I am sure there is some sort of issue with this particular bottle. I will have to revisit this one in the future.

12-27-2011 06:22:35 | More by UCLABrewN84
hooliganlife

Missouri

vintage 2010 (july)

pours a hazy golden orange. massive head just eats up the space in this tulip. slowly dissipates. lots of foam.

very vibrant. heavy on the lemon and oak, mainly oak though. slight funky backbone.

mild flavor, light flavors of lemon and apple. oak is very dominant. nothing besides the oak really stands out. would like to see more depth to the flavor.

lots of tingle from a very lively carbonation. light and easy.

decent gueuze, but in this price range i would pass for a few others.

03-14-2012 23:39:44 | More by hooliganlife
ph2001

Oregon

750mL bottle in flute

pours smooth with TONS of carbonation maintaining a half finger of head. smells of spice and apples. theres a sweet dry scent too similar to champagne.

smooth with lots of carbonation in the mouth. mouth puckering, but not overwhelming. leaves a dry mouthfeel. has a sweet tartness to it. the flavors are very silimar to lindemans framboise, only without the actual berry flavor itself. it becomes much more bitter as it warms and opens up.

06-04-2008 17:44:56 | More by ph2001
OStrungT

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a crystal clear straw yellow color, with a fluffy white head. The head fades slowly, leaving very minimal lace.

This beer has a dominate funky and earthy yeast aroma. I can detect a slight tart aroma. Some sour fruit. It has a very slight grainy aroma as well. It is nice to smell a sour beer that isnt totally dominated by sour aroma.

This beer tastes much more sour than it smells. It is very sour, with some fruity flavor. I can still taste that grainyness, but it is in the shadow of the sour. It has a yeasty funk flavor to it too.

This beer is very carbonated, suiting the style. It leaves a sour fruit aftertaste.

This beer wouldnt make the best session beer. The highly carbonated, sour flavor would become cloying after a while.

Overall: This is a pretty decent beer. Maybe just a bit too carbonated, and the sour flavor is a little over the top. I love a sour beer, but this one is just a tiny bit too much.

06-30-2009 03:17:28 | More by OStrungT
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly cloudy deep golden color with a bubbly white head that recedes quickly to a cap on top.
Smells of citrus fruits, I pick out lemon right away but there are sour cherries and possibly apricots in there as well. There's a tart lactic sourness on the nose, some horsey aromas in there as well. This smells wonderful.
Taste is tart and puckering, like chewing on that lemon you got with your water. With every sip I can feel the acid as it travels down on it's journey to my stomach. I am going to be paying for this one tomorrow. Tart and semi dry with a bit of barnyard funk in the finish.
Lactic acidic mouthfeel, high level of carbonation, medium to thin body. I would have loved a bit more body. This is one sour brew. I think it smelled a lot better than it tasted but it didn't taste half bad. I certainly couldn't drink to many of these, but for Lindemans this one impressed me.

01-31-2010 00:11:39 | More by johnnnniee
OtherShoe2

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a clear orangy-gold with a foamy white head. No lacing, tons of bubbles rising.

Light malt, but some tart fruit aromas, not rind, but skin. Some musty funk as well.

Sour malt up front, then some mineral/chalk, tart appleskin element (this does have a sour apple quality to it). Acidic edge clears the palate quickly, and you a mild bitter finish. Tart, mineral, bitter.

Nice carbonation and some astringent elements. Enough body to know what you are drinking. Good structure here.

Overall, a decent rep of the style, although thee are others that have more complexities. I got 12 oz. bottle, and that was enough. $8? Worth a try.

01-16-2011 00:12:13 | More by OtherShoe2
trappistlover

Arizona

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

(375ml bottle). Pours yellow-orange color with dissipating white head. small sediment in suspension. Aroma of funk, grapes and some wood. Taste is sour, but some sweetness balances the beer. Thin to medium bodied with oily texture. Smooth finish. A nice beer

02-02-2011 01:19:33 | More by trappistlover
TheAlamoWrocker

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured a 355 mL bottle, dated 15 Nov 2007, into a Tulip.

A: Poured a massive 1.5 fingered creamy head, in a tulip this appears huge. The color is a glorious Tawny. The carbonation is rising nicely in the glass and it seems as if the head is hardly going anywhere. This head appears as it's staying for the long haul and this head does.

S: This smell is definitely something that is memorable. The smell of this is simply a vinegar-like grass. This is definitely the first time I have picked up this smell on a beer, but this is my very first Gueuze.

T: At the very beginning of this swallow a very sharp sweetness comes and goes. This becomes really sour. The lining that this leaves in the mouth is oddly really great. As it warms it feels as if this becomes more tart rather the sour I first tasted.

M: This is a nice creamy, crisp, beast that it a delight to take in. The carbonation feels aggressive at first, but medium and the body is also medium.

O: I was promised this would taste like multiple aged Lambics and I can't say that they lied. I could picture myself casually drinking a Lambic, but this is something I could honestly say I was not prepared for.

11-11-2011 01:15:45 | More by TheAlamoWrocker
ChadQuest

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled exactly 11 months ago to the day, if only i knew what hour...

hazy straw yellow body with a few fingers of loose bone white head on top.
The aroma is a clean light musty lemony thing that is nice.
The flavors are a sour and tart, there is a citric tasting acidity is just enough to make a crisp clean feel but leans more funky overall. Lemon and pear are refreshing, green apple skins.
mouthfeel is dry and clean.

I enjoyed this, got even better as the bottle went on, i should age a few and see how acidic i can get them, i like acidity. A great beer that is always on the shelf, which is great.

07-13-2012 03:49:55 | More by ChadQuest
roblowther

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

750 ml bottle. Very effervescent, almost champagne-like. Thin, persistent head with a creamy appearance. Right from the pour, smells sharp, almost astringent, but has notes of apricot. Mouthfeel is thinner than the fruit lambics, but creamier than, say, a pils. Taste is sharp at first, then mellows into a pleasant sour note on the back of the tongue. All in all, very enjoyable. Definitely a different experience than the sweet gueuze beers.

05-20-2006 17:15:17 | More by roblowther
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

750 ml bottle, capped and corked, $9.99 at Wilburs Total Bev in Ft. Collins, CO.

Pour into tall champagne flutes is a very foamy frothy one -- indeed, you must pour very slowly and carefully to avoid having a flute of foam! Pretty looking, very much like champagne. Head stays briefly, then fades away completely. Lots of streams of bubbles.

Smells like a dry champagne with a slight hint of biscuit. Decent enough, but there's not much there.

Tastes like a light dry champagne. Fascinatingly light sour-cherry flavor. I like it.

Mouthfeel is crisp and fluffy from the overt carbonation.

Decent enough drinkability, although the high carbonation produces many burps.

Overall, not as sour or as fruity as I expected; but then, I am not familiar with the style. Likeable, but a bit expensive for what you get.

03-03-2007 05:14:16 | More by ColoradoBobs
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 04-05-06, Pours an effervescent amber with 2 fingers of eggshell white head. Hazes at the bottom the bottle, due t the sediment. Near zero head retention some & lacing

S: Appleskins & a bit of vinegar sourness

T: Sourness, apple vinegar & tartness in your face. A little bit of berry sweetness as this warms. Finishes tart with hints of grapefruit, a bit of sourness & more appleskin

MF: Bone dry & slick with just a bit of carbonation

Drinks a bit slow, due to the dryness & tartness, in style, but not very pleasing to me. Better Guezes out there IMO, lacked complexity to me. Maybe a few more years of aging are in order?

12-22-2007 04:08:19 | More by russpowell
SpeedwayJim

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Had an impromptu geuze tasting with schen9303. Poured from a 355ml foiled, capped, and corked bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. 2010 vintage. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields a .5 finger foamy white head with moderate retention. Beer is a clear, deep orange-goldenrod. Lacing stays close to the brew. Thick, stringy, and with good retention. Pretty standard overall but lace retention and attractive color put it a step above average.

S: Nose is pretty subdued overall. Cork is prominent. Sweet spices and oak. Conspicuously missing big funk and tartness. Lemon rind and peaches too. Calling this one is a bit awkward but nose is pleasant overall even though its far from what is expected from the style.

T: Oak, sweet wood, tart lemon, apricot, sour peach, and Brett in the back. Sour builds towards the middle. Cobwebs and dirty cotton balls in the middle to end. No real finish as the flavor kind of just peeters out. Drying and puckering aftertaste. Not an intense experience but very enjoyable and the slightest sweetness complements the funk and tartness well here.

M: Light to medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Slightly prickly in the mouth. Oily but a bit abrasive going down. Dry finish with a sticky aftertaste. Solid but maybe a tad overcarbonated.

D: I can see why people push this as a "beginner" sour. Not too intense but very enjoyable overall. Nothing to complain about here but nothing that really stands out to make this one unforgettable. Still, a very good beer and one I wouldn't hesitate to revisit.

02-14-2011 03:59:16 | More by SpeedwayJim
projectflam86

750ml bottle.

A- Pours a golden yellow color with a thick white foam head that leaves nice lacing.

S- Musty citrus aroma with a good bit of funk.

T- Sharp and tart initially with some leather and funk. A bit of spice in the finish. Sour with a tart green apple flavor.

M- Light bodied with nice carbonation. Dry with a mouth-pukcering finish.

O- Overall quite a bit more sour than I was expecting but pretty good!

05-17-2011 23:59:54 | More by projectflam86
tewaris

Cuvée René
Gueuze

75 cl bottle poured into Lindeman's flute. Purchased at Surdyk's for 8.99 (a couple dollars below the usual)

Bright hay colored and very effervescent, Cuvée René pours with a fluffy white head that departs rather soon and leaves no lacing. Certainly young but not as young as it claims on the bottle (bottled 18 August 2012!) --- I can detect the malty sweetness so there is a lot of room for development. Of course there is some funk but it's dominated by a lot of spicy, phenolic notes. The funk is musty, and storage like as opposed to Sarah Jessica Parker-ish.

I like the taste much better: slightly tart, hints of malt in sweetness and in the body, with a bitter and slightly tannic finish akin to fruit peel. Phenolic. Funky notes here and there but very subtle. Prickly carbonation and dry finish. Very bubbly and refreshing. I will buy it again when I am feeling sour, but I wish it were more intense.

10-13-2011 08:42:11 | More by tewaris
mschind

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

750ML Bottle dated 8-12-11. First time for a Geuze. I see a lot of reviews for bottles that are quite a bit older than this one but this is what is before me so here goes;

A- The cork released easily with a nice pop. Some have described the head as Champaigne like but this has an off white, fluffy texture that stays higher on the edges. Color is a hazy medium gold. The carbonation is giving it a persistent foamy cap.

S- Yeasty and peppery. I'm picking up a hint of sulphur and salt from time to time and then as it warmed up there was some of that earthy barn yard funk.

T- Starts out citrus sour without the puckering astringency which surpirsed me. This is not acidic to my palate. The finish is clean and neutral, how do they do that? I'm not getting a lot of nuance here, might be too young. I can taste some musty notes on top of the sour but each sip finishes clean.

M- Light bodied but gives the illusion of being more full due to the smooth carbonation that inflates each sip a bit.

O- For my first foray, I am very impressed. I would love to try an older version. It went well with strawberries and I'll bet some soft cheese would be good too. I can't say how this stacks up yet so I'll probably revisit this after trying some other examples of the style.

06-16-2012 21:56:28 | More by mschind
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is actually my first gueuze for review, so I'll try to be as kind as I can.

Thanx to my friend Tim for getting this for me.

Bottled: "22 Mei 2013." Sorry, but the typical American in me assumes that's "May" I guess. Anyways, well, here goes:

Into a stange and a tulip, shared with my friend Tim.

A: In the stange, the body seems a bit lighter in color closer to a lighter side of orange tinted yellow, the tulip produces a darker hazier orange colored body (weird, ok, I wonder if this is normal) anyways, both have the same sized head - about a finger's worth of white foaminess leaving some thick foamy lacing clinging to the sides of both glasses

S: woo-ee this stuff is tart and sour, but I guess this is how its supposed to be, well, I do get some lemon/cherries/raspberry/orange

T: tart and sour once again through the previously mentioned flavors

M: light to medium, tries to display some sort of sessionability, but still there's an element of a fuller quality, carbonation hits me a bit harder than some other lambics but from what I've read and my lack of knowledge in this style - I guess that's ok

O: honestly, I think I'm only doing this so I can put a foot forward into this style. Its nice to step out of one's element every now and again, but I think I'll go back to what I know when it comes to beer if this is how this style is supposed to be.

02-08-2014 00:06:13 | More by BeerKangaroo
LilBeerDoctor

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Reviewed on 3/4/08. 750 mL bottle. Poured a light orange with a small white head. Aroma of barnyard funk, tart fruits. Taste was of tart raspberries and apple. I liked this one because it wasn't TOO sour and was easy to drink. An excellent gueuze. 8/4/7/4/15 (3.8/5)

12-02-2008 01:49:26 | More by LilBeerDoctor
damienblack

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours the color of apple juice. Only a bit of a head, even with an aggressive pour. Quickly settles to a tranquil surface. Strong mustily sour smell, not in a fruity way, almost more in a bacterial way (though obviously not really offensive). Taste isn't really sour apple, but more acidic, more vinegaric. More of a barnyard feel. Very try, like a very tangy saison. At first, overwhelmingly sour, but a bit overly ascetic. Sticky coating despite thin feel, once the sour subsides there's not much in the way of substance. Taste after is kind of cheesy, almost cottony. Drinkability isn't that great compared to the other gueze I had (Girardin 1882). I was a bit let down by this one. Not bad for a starter, but there is at least one gueze better.

05-08-2009 05:46:03 | More by damienblack
Aenema

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance - Pours a hazy, light amber with a thin white head and splotchy lacing.
Smell - Tart, green apple and funk.
Taste - Puckering, sour tartness with a barnyard funk flavor.
Mouthfeel - Light-medium body with light carbonation and a dry, crisp finish.
Drinkability - Enjoyable sipper.

10-12-2009 03:06:57 | More by Aenema
Tiklmelmo

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

350ml bottle poured into a 9oz tulip.

A - Slightly dark golden color with a big fluffy white head. Rather bubbly. Slight bit of haze.

S - Big nose of bananas hits me first. As I put my nose closer, there's bits of lemon and some barnyard / horse blanket.

T - Tart, and slightly more sour than I was expecting from a Lindemans, but well balanced acidity overall. Not a huge amount of depth. Mostly lemon zest, sour apple, and slight funk, with a bit of a nutty after-taste.

M - Dry and sparkling, almost champagne-like.

D - Nicely balanced, crisp and refreshing. While there's not as much going on as some others, this is a very drinkable geuze.

01-09-2010 02:24:16 | More by Tiklmelmo