Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

orange and foamy out of the bottle, not untypical for the style. tart and dry nose, some vinegar. slightly complex gueze but not terribly so -- only average. tastes of lambic funk, tart and dry with some acetic qualities. scrubbing bubbles in the mouth, fairly light body.

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

375ml bottle into Cantillon gueuze glass. It’s hard to read but I think this was bottled in 2008.

A: Pours a fizzy burnt golden with a thin white head that quickly faded into a nearly invisible film.
S: Light notes of dry funk, a twinge of citrus, and good dose of gueuzey earth and straw. I get light notes of golden fruits, peppery spices, and Belgian sugar as well.
T: Hints of peach come through alongside notes of dry funk, citrus, earthy must and straw. Peppery yeast and spices bring up the finish, and the aftertaste is sweet with hints of lemon zest.
M: Medium body, drying mouthfeel, light sweetness, with very fizzy and bubbly carbonation. Bubbles feel big and prickly on my palate.
O: A bit plain in flavor and too spritzy for my liking, but this was an easy drinking gueuze with a moderate acidic bite. Worth checking out if you are getting into the style, but it doesn’t compare to the other great gueuzeries of Belgium.

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

By far not my style of beer so my review may bang it a bit more than it deserves. Pours an orangeish amber into the glass. Minimal head and minimal lacing. Sweet fruity aroma. Astringent melony taste. Probably the best gueuze I have had to date, but still far from what I would buy. Perhaps my tastes are changing, yet again. I guess we shall see.

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

750 mL corked-n-capped, green champagne bottle with '05 notched on the label. It pours a mildly-hazy bright orange with medium carbonation and a 1" off-white head that reduces to almost nothing by the end. The aroma is acidic and lightly sweet with lemon, a mild earthy/musty character, and some phenols that are a tad fruity. It is light to medium on the palate with an equal finish, and it is lightly drying with a taste that is tart, bitter, sour, and acidic, with lemon juice and phenols. It almost has more mouth-puckering sensation than flavor. It's a bit difficult to drink if you're not in the mood as it is quite sour and bitter, but as far as gueuze goes, it's not too bad.

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours godlen amber with a large, quickly fading head.
Nose shows a mix of sour and sweet light malt, musty stables, faint lemon and kumquat oils. Pretty damn nice.
Flavours are dominated by the acidity initially but soon reveal sweet light malt, and large amount of that musty stable character and some definate cheesy notes. Too much barnyard/stable, otherwise it'd be pleasant and refreshing.
Carbonation seems low, especially given the style.

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured this Gueuze from a 750 ml bottle. Poured a hazy golden color, produced a thin head, decent retention and left a small amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma consisted of light malted grain and tart fruit. Light in body, the tartness of this brew comes through first, very smooth mouthfeel, malted grain, earthy undertones and finishes dry. For me this is a great beginner lambic brew- Ive had some outstanding lambics, this done is simple, does the trick.

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a 1/4" white head that fades quickly. The aroma is average. It has little malt or yeast aroma. It's moderately sour with a light funk to it. The taste is decent. It has a light, pilsner malt flavor that's accompanied with a dry, musty Brett character. It's mildly sour with some horse hair taste. The mouthfeel is decent also. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an average gueuze. It's not as sour as it should be and the malt character is lacking.

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a hazy golden orange color with an amazing head. Head has awesome retention. No lacing. Smells fruity and a bit spicy. Taste super sour. Picking sour pear, sour apple and maybe some cherries. Mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation. Feels very clean. Drinkability is ok. Being my first gueuze I didnt know what to make of it. Its a pretty simple straight foward beer. It was good but I wouldnt pay 8 dollars for this again.

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance-Light-medium gold color. Pretty clear with a slight cloudiness to it. Small,thin head that lasts to the finish. Good looking beer.
Aroma-Some good funky notes of barnyard and horseblanket are in there with slight fruitiness in background. No hop to speak of.
Flavor-Acidic but not very acidic. I like my mouth to pucker just a little. Sourness up front but fades fast to a seltzery dry finish. Barnyard flavors also end quick. Background of rhubarb is evident. High carbonation.

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750mL bottle into a thin Lindemans pilsner.

clear golden orange with an inch of foamy, sticky head that retains well. tons of bubbles stuck to the sides and rising like champagne.

aroma is pretty weak. a hint of tartness, but dominated by a lemony, soapy-fresh aroma.

taste is better; assertively tart with some sour apple and lemon rinds. acidic, vinegary, slightly off-putting finish. lacking in character and complexity compared to some other gueuzes, with more of a straightforward tartness, but far better than Lindemans' other gueuze.

3.31/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene last month for $7.49 at Cork N Ale. I've never had this beer before, but since i like sours now I thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on March 21st 2011.. Poured from a green 12oz foiled bottle that had a cork underneath the bottle cap and I poured it into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks nice, along with the foiled top it's got a nice classy look to it and I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a nice hazy looking brighter yellow color that took on more of a darker golden hue when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- the aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by some fruity sourness being the first to show up, the sourness seems to be around the higher side of medium and the fruity aspect is very citrus like with a good amount of lemon aromas coming through. Up next comes a slight funky barn yard like aroma with some wet hay and grassy aromas coming through. From the middle to the end there's a pretty noticeable skunky aroma that I think might be from the green bottle. This beer had a decent aroma, but I could have gone without the skunky aspect.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by those sour fruit aspects that I got in the aroma and they impart a medium amount of sourness with lemon and other citrus like flavors coming through along with a slight apple aroma. Up next comes the yeast which proves to be much more earthier than it was in the aroma, but the wet straw aspects still comes through and it's followed by that same skunky aspects, but this time it seems to be just slightly lighter. On the finish there was a little bit of lingering sourness along with an earthy, lemon and light skunky like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but the overpowering earthy flavor and the skunky flavors really hold back the taste.

M- Not the smoothest, not too clean, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of high carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and as far as I can tell I think it's a pretty average example of the style and it doesn't really have any tastes or aromas that I think are really well done, it kind of falls right in the middle and that skunky and overly earthy aspect doesn't help. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, not too clean, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, not too filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think half is a little more than enough for me and I'm glad that I'm splitting this bottle with my brother and there's no way I would want to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was pretty good and to me it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the skunky aspect and the overly earthy flavors, if this beer didn't have those it might be a lot better. I would buy this beer again, but I would make sure it's a pretty fresh bottle since I don't think aged was too kind to this beer and as it stands now I don't think I would recommend it. All in all I was disappointed with this beer, I had heard good things about and I thought it would turn out to be a good sour, but it just had too many off aspects and in the end that really hurt this beer. This just might be my least favorite Gueuze and my least favorite beer from this brewery. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me, but I hope to try a fresher bottle in the future.

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

A - Long lasting head; thin, but persistent

S - Great nose. A lot of citrus and floral notes to it

T - Fairly one dimensional, although it does have a great puckering sour taste on the back end which is what I was looking for. But, again, it just didn't have much else going on

M - Quite good; hits all the right spots, though none spectacularly

D - Very drinkable, though not diverse enough to capture my palate's attention for a second bottle

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

First Gueuze. First sour period. 12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Light golden/yellow color. Pretty clear. One finger head with big bubbles, slightly off white and good retention.

S: Very yeasty. Smells like a sour hay. Very tart. Lemon. Light sour apples. Slight spiciness. A funky smell.

T: Sour apples. Very tart. Yeasty. Again reminds me of a barn. Very funky.

M: Very thin. Makes your mouth water from the sourness, which is rather nice.

O: Don't have the taste for this style yet. Don't know if I will ever develop one or not. I will keep giving it a shot, for now. As of now I don't like this style. Don't know what all the rage is.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

I'm not the best judge of Lambics as I'm not quite a convert yet.

A: golden brown, straw bubbly head recedes to nothing, no lacing
S: intense funk, leather, sour fruit
T: funk, acid, cider, must and vinegar aftertaste
M: sharp, relentless acid, champagne-like carbonation is the best part
D: I wish that I could say that I was a fan of sours, but I find them a little off-putting. this seems like a fine example of the style though.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

5.5% version. Unsure as to whether it's import strength or a newer version.

The appearance is an orange tan, slightly cloudy, with decent head and retention.

The aroma is filled with funk, acidity, and tartness. I almost want to pucker after just the smell.

The taste is right there with the aroma. The only thing I'd add is that it's mildly fruity and the aftertaste is slightly sweeter. There's immense amounts of sourness to this. While it is tasty, the sourness is a bit too much for me. It really dominated the experience.

The mouthfeel is light, but full due to overaggressive carbonation. As soon as the cork came out and it spewed I could have expected it to be a bit like this.

Overall, this wasn't a bad Gueuze, but the sourness left it seeming a bit simple and lacking. Perhaps some age could do this one some good.

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Reviewed 9/13/2007 (bottle):

Pours a cloudy yellow fizzy. White head, small bubbles. Kinda looks like champagne. Very sour aroma, like rotten something, but only the sour. Very sour taste, bubbly mouthfeel. Different feeling. Odd. Different taste if I drink it with my whole mouth versus just my throat.

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

I did not care for this beer. It poured a muddled peach color with a large white foamy head. The aromas were all sour, young grape, and herbal. The only thing I could taste was sour and tart. So much so that the back of my throat and gums felt like an explosion of some sour apple candy. Not even a hint of the tasty earthy, barnyard belgian yeasts I have come to admire and savor. The mouthfeel was overwhelmed by the desire to get this beer outof my mouth. Perhaps I simply do not appreciate this style, but if my description accurately describes what this beer is supposed to taste like, I will not purchase any more gueuze beers

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Bottle 750ml wire caged cork - very exquisitely designed - purchased from State Line Liquor in Elkton, MD $??

My bottle is still unopened - this was tasted at the Brickseller in Washington, DC 02/07

A - As beautiful as an expensive champagne, very tiny bubbles and a well-established head

S - The smell is distinctive and prepares you for something other than ordinary - maybe, tart???

T - From what I have read about this style of beer as expected it was very sour like unripened green grapes and lemons

M - This also drank like a a very tart champagne (Brut) or sparkling wine

D - I am unsure if I would drink this often. I think I would need to do more exploration with Gueze in order really say if this has a high drinkability factor. I would rate this based on the expectation of a Gueze.

3.44/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml green glass (ugh) bottle with gold foil-ed over branded copper colour pry-off pressure cap (which is itself sealed over an internally housed cork) acquired at a local CO bottle shop and served into a La Chouffe stem-tulip in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current ratings. Reviewed as a gueuze lambic because the label clearly identifies it as such.

Bottled: 22 Mei 2013.

Served cold, straight from the fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a four finger wide head of white colour. Decent thickness. Not too creamy, but pretty fluffy. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is good - about 4-5 minutes.

Body colour is a clear translucent copper of above average vibrance. Appears well-carbonated. No floating yeast particles or sediment is visible.

Overall, it's a pretty standard appearance for a gueuze. I'm looking forward to trying it, but it isn't unique or special.

Sm: Faint berries. Maybe raspberry? Crystal malt. Fantastic lambicus yeast character bursting with sourness without coming off puckering. Not as bacterial as many other sours; it isn't loaded with straight lactobacillus; the sourness has a purpose and a defined character. Clean barley. Belgian pale malts. Golden malts. Light hints of flaked wheat. Maybe some lychee. Sourness doesn't seem too high; I doubt this will induce puckering. Hopping is floral. Apple cidre vinegar.

No alcohol is detectable. A pleasant, inviting, alive aroma of average strength. There's obvious acidity.

T: Sour green apple/apple cidre vinegar. Lovely lambicus yeast-induced sourness. Not so sour as to pucker, but enough to please fans of the style. Belgian pale and golden malts provide the unobtrusive, admittedly simple base. Pleasantly acidic. Some lighter notes of wet hay and clean barley do make an appearance. I don't get much in terms of bacterial character, but there is some light restrained funkiness, which gets buried underneath the sourness. It does have a nice lactic quality. I've never really craved funkiness in a sour beer anyway. The hops get buried beneath the lambic sourness (to style).

Balanced, if admittedly simple and straightforward for a lambic. It's a bit sweeter than I'd expect for a gueuze; maybe they used too much young lambic in the blend? I'd like more sourness; it's not intense to style. Cohesive, and almost gestalt but not quite. The lambicus yeast certainly guides the flavour profile, and rightfully so. It's a bit tart; I'd like more of that. Average depth and duration of flavour for the style. Below average intensity of flavour. Nice complexity and subtlety, but there's lots of room for improvement. Not a nuanced or intricate gueuze. I'm a bit disappointed, but it's pleasant enough.

No alcohol or hop character comes through. No spice. No off flavours.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with slight coarseness to coax out more flavour. Perfect carbonation; bottle conditioning has done it well. Refreshing and approachable. Not as acidic as would be ideal. Has a nice smacky feel. Great presence on the palate; it's very welcoming, soft, and comforting.

Not oily, harsh, astringent, gushed, hot, boozy, or rough.

Dr: Satisfying for what's probably the most widely available gueuze, but the discerning drinker will find this rather tame for the style. Sour intensity is quite low. I'm a bit alarmed by its current high ratings; maybe this has been better in the past or varies by bottle. Certainly a gueuze varies by batch. In any case, it's a very drinkable gueuze that any sour-lover could easily kill a bottle of. I might get it again if I'm craving a sour and this is the only decent offering at a bottle shop/bar. Might be interesting aged.

B-

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

750mL bottle in a tulip glass.
The first of the style.

A - Cloudy gold color with a large white head. Medium retention. 4/5

S - Tart, lemony, crispy, some earthy character. Nice and fresh! 4/5

T - Acidic, I pick out notes of wood. 3/5

M - Medium tartness, the medium carbonation is spot on. Body is on the middle side. Relatively dry finish with a medium bitterness. 4/5

O - A good beer to get used to the style. Very refreshind and easy to drink! I was expecting some more complexity though... 3.5/5

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into a bells tulip glass - had to wait for some of the head to settle before i could pour the whole bottle in.

Tons of light yellowish white head. Tried to keep most of the yeast in the bottle.

First sip puckered my lips. This is my first experimenting with sours and wow - didnt know what to expect. Tons of great zing and zip of lemony acrid tartness. Nice light crisp malt present and just a hint of belgy yeast.

Smell was great and pleasant.

Mouthfeel was full enough. Had to take many small sips.

I have realized that I may not be ready to delve into the world of sours. Not really my cup of beer.

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours 1/2 finger of white head. Color is a hazy yellow orange.

Aroma: Very funk. Horse blanket, acidic, lemon zest, and oak. This one has some tartness to it.

Taste: Sour, tart, and funky. It is musky and dust flavors show with cobweb. Horse blanket funk and sour acidic lemons.

Mouthfeel: Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Funky, tart, mouth puckering. Ends a bit tart, but clean.

Overall, a decent gueuze, especially at the price. It is pretty funky, however. I dig it. Above average.

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375 mL bottle poured into a goblet.

Appearance - The cork comes out with hardly a pop. Pours with very little apparent carbonation. Hazy orange body with a little bit of whispy lacing.

Smell - Vinegary tart aroma. Wheat and lemon. A bit of a funk to it, but not much.

Taste - Acidic body that masks any complexity, I think. Otherwise, there's some lemony citrus flavors and some wheat. In the back is a lingering sourness of the vinegar persuasion and funk that is pretty appealing.

Mouthfeel - Could be crisper with more carbonation. It feels a bit flat and it makes it feel heavier than it is.

Overall - I liked this the first time I had it. It was the first gueuze I ever had. I now realize how mediocre this is in comparison to some of the greats. It's still drinkable and even enjoyable, but not what I'd call a good example.

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

Thanks to AwYeh for this one.

Appearance - Very carbonated with a prominent head that presents itself with force. A full glass of head here. Poured constantly between three glasses among friends. Awesome soapy lacing. Pours a vibrant gold color.

Smell - Well this is bad. I expected this smell. Very musty with hints of cloves. A slight lemon tart.

Taste - Surpisingly sour. A kind of dirty well-water taste. Yet, it is very fruity. Very acidic and filled with light fruits. Once I get past the smell and initial taste, I really enjoy this beer. A good balance of sour.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Slightly watery. A good balance of sourness. Quite fruity. Easily drinkable and light bodied.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans