Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Reviews: 847 | Hads: 1,936
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Bomber shared with fisherman34, poured into an oversized wine glass.

Pours a hazey unfiltered deep orange colour, beautiful colouring. 1/2 inch of head with very mild carbonation, leaves some light lacing. A beautiful beer to look at to be sure. Aroma is very tart with some zesty lemon citrus sourness. Light summer peach aroma in the background. Simple but lively and aromatic.

Taste is just straight up puckeringly dry and sour. Woody flavours with the lemony sourness with a bit of sour cherry. As the beer warms a cheesy character begins to appear, especially in the finish. Not a lot of complexity I find, but it's very tasty. Mouthfeel is very dry and sticky, puckering as I said, and the carbonation is quite mild. I'm not sure If I'd like more than one of these, I'm not the world's biggest "sour" fan but I can respect this beer for the style and what it is. Certainly unique and I'm looking forward to lots more beers in this style in the future.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

This one is on the tamer side for a gueuze, but also very nicely balanced and refreshing with some interesting character. Pours a slightly cloudy golden with a huge white rocky head that fades to a 1/2 inch cap that sticks around. Quite good lacing. The smell is a little faint, but pleasant. Notes of lemon, grass, and a slight whiff of ripe cheese. The taste is more substantial with a somewhat restrained acidity for the style, some barnyard notes, some spice, and a lingering bitterness that is not from the hops. Quite nice. The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied and relatively crisp. Very drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance is hazy but the color is vibrant deep orange with gold tones. Head is a small dense ring with good lacing.

Aroma is very floral with soft honey notes, complex citrus, straw, sweat/horse blanket/barn yard smells and a light clean malt note in the distance.

Taste is very complex with flavors, aromas and textures climbing over and under each other, everything is scrambling around and difficult to focus on. I don't mean that in a bad way. Overall, this beer is super dry (some would say almost chalky), acidic, fruity with all sorts of citrus, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, and a peach quality seems to be there too. This moves from Super dry and acidic to a soft and sweet honey note before you realize that the acid never left and clamps back down on the palate.

This beer is very light in body and super dry, not something that you can easily drink quickly. I know many people hate these beers but I love them, this is a real thinking man's beer!

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

Bottle 750ml wire caged cork - very exquisitely designed - purchased from State Line Liquor in Elkton, MD $??

My bottle is still unopened - this was tasted at the Brickseller in Washington, DC 02/07

A - As beautiful as an expensive champagne, very tiny bubbles and a well-established head

S - The smell is distinctive and prepares you for something other than ordinary - maybe, tart???

T - From what I have read about this style of beer as expected it was very sour like unripened green grapes and lemons

M - This also drank like a a very tart champagne (Brut) or sparkling wine

D - I am unsure if I would drink this often. I think I would need to do more exploration with Gueze in order really say if this has a high drinkability factor. I would rate this based on the expectation of a Gueze.

4.65/5  rDev +14%

From a 750ml bottle this beer pours a deep tangerine color with a bit of foamy head. Leaves lovely lacing in the glass.

First thing that gets your attention is the smell. Holy Moses! Sour, fruity, metallic and raw. Smells of sour grapes that have been sitting a tin fruit bowl.

Taste is like the most mouth puckering lemon has been drained of all its moisture and shoved into your mouth. Quite tasty and unusual. This is my first gueuze as you can probably tell. Very dry in the finish with a long linguering lemony/grapey aftertaste. Suprising and good.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

It pours a cloudy straw color with a thick white head. It has the distinctive sour aroma that is present in lambics and other sour beers. The flavor is very tart and sour and gives me a tingling sensation beneath my jaw in my neck. The flavor is dry, but not overly so. It leaves a dry feeling on my tongue and the carbonation creates a tingly sensation. The bottle I got was a 750ml, and it was a bit much for this beer. This is by no means a session beer.

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%

750ml bottle, dated 2005. Poured into a wine glass.

Pours a light amber/dark gold color, a bit more of a head is raised than many lambics.

Aroma is pleasing, sour, lemony, smells like a real lambic, how else to describe that yeasty sour scent. Not a lot of really dirty funk, however.

Highly carbonated in the mouth. Crisp and pleasant with bracing and refreshing lemony sour tanginess. Finish is fairly bitter, tasting of the white part of the lemon peel. This isnt necessarily bad, but makes it a better foil for food than a beverage for sipping on its own. And yet with each sip you are irresitably drawn back. Wow it's tart. Yum.

A solid effort, a real lambic, bone dry, no relation to the sweet fruit "lambics" made by this producer. The flavor profile is simple and pure, might be even better if they let it get a bit dirtier.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

750 ml bottle, capped and corked, $9.99 at Wilburs Total Bev in Ft. Collins, CO.

Pour into tall champagne flutes is a very foamy frothy one -- indeed, you must pour very slowly and carefully to avoid having a flute of foam! Pretty looking, very much like champagne. Head stays briefly, then fades away completely. Lots of streams of bubbles.

Smells like a dry champagne with a slight hint of biscuit. Decent enough, but there's not much there.

Tastes like a light dry champagne. Fascinatingly light sour-cherry flavor. I like it.

Mouthfeel is crisp and fluffy from the overt carbonation.

Decent enough drinkability, although the high carbonation produces many burps.

Overall, not as sour or as fruity as I expected; but then, I am not familiar with the style. Likeable, but a bit expensive for what you get.

Poured hazy pale orange with a dense lumpy head. Smell was sweet and floral with a hint of sourness and oak. Taste was sour apple cider, dry, none of the sweetness here, astringent and mouth-coating -- in a good way. I wish this beer was thicker, more full-bodied. Finish was dry as a bone and felt like another sip. Very good, but oddly frustrating, because you wish it were just a little bit better.

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Cloudy full-headed beauty, minimal carbonation as far as appearance.
Enticing aroma, but not as room-filling as I would have hoped for. Sour/vinegar/funk that projects itself on your tongue, but then falls a little flat. Maybe a tad bit too much sour apple, and slightly out-of-balance.
Moderately refreshing, and drinkable, but not fantastic. How is this a Cuvee?

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%

Purchased for 8.99 at Grapes of Mirth in Columbus, Ohio. Served slightly chilled in a wine glass from a 750 mL caged corked bottle. This was our beer replacement for Champagne for New Year’s Eve.
Appearance was clear golden color with lots of tiny bubbles. Began with a small white head that left some lacing.
This is one interesting smelling beer. There is a musty smell that is more pronounced than I have noticed in other Gueze beers. There are also fruity, sour smells as well. I love the smells here.
On first sipping this, all I noticed was SOUR. Once I got by the initial blast of sourness, there were the musty, fruity, funky flavors I was expecting from this beer. Ends with more sourness.
This had a nice carbonated mouthfeel. It was a good substitute for Champagne. Dry at the end.
Overall this is a great example of Gueze. It is so much better than the more commercial fruit lambics from Lindemans. I don’t think I could drink this very often and definitely needed others to help me finish, but for the style it is very drinkable. It was enjoyed by several who only rarely drink anything other than BMC. I continue to be amazed at the flavors and smells produced in this beer style and will seek out this and other examples as I get the chance.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

750ml bottle, corked and capped

Served in a champagne flute

Pours with a dark canary yellow body, murky amber hints. Spritzy body, lots of little bubbles, egg white head with bubbly patchy lacing down the glass.

Smell, musty old blankets, citrusy, lemongrass, dry lingering sherbet.

Taste, crisp sourness on the palette, dry and sour citrus fruits, grapefruit, slight saltiness on the finish, a little sweetness too but very slight, Effervesant and spritzy mouthfeel. Slight chalkiness also on the mouthfeel, lingering sourness

A fantastic gueuze, balanced, drinkable and full of flavour

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a frothy white head that leaves abstract patterns of lace all over the chalice

Smell: Belgian funk, tart green apples, lemons, apricots and a floral perfume underneath; woody tones as well

Taste: Starts with a combination of tart lemon and green apple flavor combined with floral sweetness; the sourness builds mid-palate; after the swallow, the tartness continues to expand and joins the other flavors along with a bit of cork in the finish

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with fizzy carbonation; puckering mouthfeel from the tart flavors, too

Drinkability: The underlying floral tones make this an intriguing taste treat even for someone, like me, who would rarely reach for a sour beer

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

This 750 ml bottle, purchased about a year ago at Hi-Time Wine (price not documented), sat aging in my closet then in the fridge for a nice while. If I read the label right, this was bottled in either 2002 or 2003. Consumed in December 2006. The cap and cork are removed without a sound, without a sight, without anything.

Pours a crystal clear golden into my Cantillon Gueuze glass, with a nice frothy head and a large amount of carbonation when first poured (where was that when I opened the bottle?). This is the clearest gueuze I have ever seen.

Aroma of moderately harsh organics, tart green apples, wet hay.

Flavor similar to, but also quite different from the other gueuzes I have tried. It has the standard sour, but the organic earthy farmyard is much more subtle. The sour is easily recognizable as green apple, both in tartness but also in underlying sugar sweetness. A really good Jolly Rancher. You know, I like this one as a very good representative of the style, but to be honest, it's a little too candy-like to be my favorite.

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

bought this at my inaugural trip to chuck's in chagrin falls. big green bottle with a classy orange label

the brew is a light peachy amber. a snow white head sits up top and leaves some nice frosting. the nose is sour, fruity, corky and spicypopourri-ish. i believe this is the damp pony aroma people speak of

lactic. it's sharp up front, but finishes like a sweet lemonade. pear, raspberry

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured out a clear copper color, with a thin off-white head that dissipates quickly with nice lacing. The aroma is strong, sour, and tart. The flavor is still quite tart, but the flavor has a nice fruity apricot roundness with hints of overripe apple and a bit of funk in the finish. Acidic and dry smooth and drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

*I like it will buy again*

app: very crisp sparkiling wine look to it. lotsa bubbles! nice lookin.

smell: kinda mild, lil pepper litlle tart.. something pungent?? when I first heard the cork pop. some grassy smells for sure.

taste: kinda mild for the family its in. 100% nothing offensive. its got some nice tartness, nice drying effect in the mouth, I wanna say there is small hints of white grapes that pop in for a min. or two. under all the pepper grassy tart.

mf: nice and bright and dry, but in all the right ways.

drinkable??: I really think so. This is a great drink for women children and men alike. I kinda see it as gueuze light.

This is very classy and refined. nice flavors, like i said its on the light side, but what a treat. Use this as an intro to the style for yourself or your friends. then wander toward the big ones.
maybe not the most traditional.. I dont really know, its good though, and I like that.

A - 2" white head. Good retention at 1". Lots of lace. Clear, clean gold. Tons of visible carbonation.

S - Tangy. A little phenolic funk. Apple. Floral. Lemon. Woodsy. Definitely makes me salivate.

T - Slightly sweet and definitely sour. Acidic / vinegar. Hint of wood. More phenolic towards the end of the bottle. So tart. A very interesting beer.

M - Tongue-tingling, champagne-like high carbonation. Light body. Quick, clean and dry finish.

D - Very unique and good drinkability.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

By far one of the most interesting beers I've ever had in my life. It wasn't really better or worse than anything I've had...just interesting. I was told by my roommate that Gueuze is also called Belgian Champagne. I agree, there was definatly a similar taste between the two. I noted a very cidery, vinigarish scent. Almost no hop bitterness as a result of aged hops being used. I would drink it again, however I had difficulty drinking the entire 750mL bottle. The only issue I had was I thought it was a crown cap, and it is, but underneath the crown is a cork. I didn't have a corkscrew on me, so I had to wait to actually have to drink the beer. Also, it seemed slightly overcarbonated. I'm not sure if thats the style but by compairson to other ales I was drinking, it seemed excessive. I would repeat drinking this once in a great while, however it did peak my interest in trying other types of Gueuze.

3.63/5  rDev -11%

MY 500th Review. I was so excited I picked out a special beer of a style I was highly anticipating and never had before. It was not a cheep beer and I have been very pleased with my experiences with Lindemans previously, so had high expectations. Unfortunately, this was not the divine experience I was imagining. It was very intense and intimidating to start. Half way through the 750 ml bottle I started to change my tune. It is a beer that did eventually grow on me but I am not sure it is a style I have acquired the taste for yet. Here is the break down:

Presentation: Corked caped and wrapped in foil this 750 ML bottle is impenetrable. When I pulled the cork it pop like a champagne bottle. The bottle indicates it was bottled in 05. Now drank in 06.

Appearance: Starts off looking fantastic. Pours a hazy light golden color with a huge head that had great retention in my flute glass. Every pour that wasn't careful enough ended with the big head running over my glass. There is massive carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. The lacing is impressive. Huge sticky rings of foamy lacing are pasted to the glass all the way around.

Smell: The aroma is big and pleasant. It is boldly tart but with a balancing sweet yeast character. The aroma is highly acidic with a Monk's Flemish Sour Red Ale meets a Saison type of aroma. Certainly it is new and unique to me the vinegar and green apple lemon grass aroma may be typical in the style, if you are more familiar with it than I.

Taste: This beer is pucker-forcing tart with a sour vinegar attribute and a balancing dry malt. It has some of the crazy funny bitey yeast flavors of a wild ale or a Saison but is more intensely tart like drinking lemon juice. For the first hour I was drinking this beer I got noting but tart. Whether it was the warming of the beer or my palate adjusting, it did eventually reveal some additional depth with some unique yeast funky cherry and grape and bitey spicy farmhouse, woodiness and dry bread flavors (I think there was a hint of blue cheese am I crazy? maybe it is that mold snappy flavor)

Mouthfeel: Extremely crisp and almost forcefully aggressive in the mouth with intense dryness, still mostly refreshing.

Drinkability: Unfortunately, for me, this beer drank a bit like vinegar. A little bit in this or that is great but I don't want to drink much straight. It was just to acidic for me. It actually felt like a very challenging chore to get through the bottle. Somewhere along the line I got a headache, was it the sour or the thinking so hard about it. I think a 6 or 8 oz serving would have been ideal except that I wouldn't have adjusted to the flavor yet. 750 ML was far too much.

Hope this is helpful.

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

The Cuvée René was picked up in a 750 ml. green bomber, with gold neck foil, and a crown cap, which when popped was underlain by a cork. After opening, the Gueuze Lambic was poured into a flute glass, where it looked deep golden, with a two finger head fed by Champagne like constant carbonation. Taking a whiff yielded a smell with a mixture of sweet and sour elements, but little of the farmhouse smells like leather or sweat found in other Gueuze Lambics. I could also detect a marigold like floral hop presence. The sip confirmed what the nose had revealed. This was quite mild for an unflavored Lambic. There was a lot of sourness of course, but it was a clean and crisp sourness like a lemon juice poured into a regular beer. Not a lot of funkiness in this one at all. The beer was crisp and light in the mouth, and was very easy to gobble down. Drier than the lunar seas, this would be a good introduction into unblended Lambics for an uninitiated drinker, but if you are looking for a ton of flavors go for something else (e.g., Cantillon) instead.

3.32/5  rDev -18.6%

750 mL corked-n-capped, green champagne bottle with '05 notched on the label. It pours a mildly-hazy bright orange with medium carbonation and a 1" off-white head that reduces to almost nothing by the end. The aroma is acidic and lightly sweet with lemon, a mild earthy/musty character, and some phenols that are a tad fruity. It is light to medium on the palate with an equal finish, and it is lightly drying with a taste that is tart, bitter, sour, and acidic, with lemon juice and phenols. It almost has more mouth-puckering sensation than flavor. It's a bit difficult to drink if you're not in the mood as it is quite sour and bitter, but as far as gueuze goes, it's not too bad.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

I found this bottle hidden away in a liquor store that doesn't normally sell beer like this. $6.99 for a bottle printed 1994, with 1998 written in marker.

Pours a golden yellow color, fairly clear, with a reluctant skim of white bubbles on top.

Aroma is not all that funky, mostly just sour, a bit of urine and some chinese food.

Very tart flavor, sour. A hint of sweeteness, faintly malty, steps in to balance things up, but this beer remains dry in the finish. Unlike Rose de Gambrinus, I found this beer quite drinkable -- its tartness was not so unyeilding. This beer is light-bodied and actually fairly refreshing. A good beer to celebrate moving into a new place.

Pours pale orange with a slight haziness. Large foamy head, champagne like that dissipates into a thin head. Lots of lacing. Smells of sour fruits, effervescence. Taste follows with an interesting blend of sour fruits, basically tastes a bit like rotting citrus without the stench of rot :). I haven't had a gueuze yet, but I assume this is what they are supposed to taste like. Gives an ancient type of feel, yet is elegant as well.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Clear copper with plenty of carbonation. Head is nice, frothy with big watery lacings.

Classic lambic aroma; musty oak, champagne, floral/herb bouquet.

Bittersweet tartness mixes with musty oak, wet hay and other earthy notes. Some citrus and fruit presence with a very dry aftertaste.

Well carbonated, good moutfeel.

Excellent representation of the style, while I prefer the fruitier lambic.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans