Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Reviews: 841 | Hads: 1,903
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance is hazy but the color is vibrant deep orange with gold tones. Head is a small dense ring with good lacing.

Aroma is very floral with soft honey notes, complex citrus, straw, sweat/horse blanket/barn yard smells and a light clean malt note in the distance.

Taste is very complex with flavors, aromas and textures climbing over and under each other, everything is scrambling around and difficult to focus on. I don't mean that in a bad way. Overall, this beer is super dry (some would say almost chalky), acidic, fruity with all sorts of citrus, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, and a peach quality seems to be there too. This moves from Super dry and acidic to a soft and sweet honey note before you realize that the acid never left and clamps back down on the palate.

This beer is very light in body and super dry, not something that you can easily drink quickly. I know many people hate these beers but I love them, this is a real thinking man's beer!

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 750 mL corked bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours with a deep gold color, actually fairly clear, substantial head formation with lacing as the beer is consumed.

S: Outdoor-like, somewhat of a farm aroma, with a bit of sour cherry and wood although these are lighter and definitely dominated by the outdoor aroma.

T: Reminds of sour fruit, especially cherries. Dominated by the sourness with a slight bit of vinegar-like flavor. A very slight amount of oakiness in the flavor. Finishes with a combination of bitterness and sourness, with a woody bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: highly carbonated, somewhat puckering in the finish.

D: A bit startling at first, especially if unaccustomed to this style. After settling in this is a very drinkable beer. Would imagine this would pair well with pungent cheese or a sour fruit tart for dessert.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 into tulip. Pours a slightly hazy orange-apricot with a white head that has a yellow cast to it, really bright champagne fizz sound. Dissipates quickly, again not unlike champagne. I mean, even the bottle looks somewhat like a champagne bottle.

The aroma is faint, the tiny, aggressive bubbles not giving off much of a hint of what is to come. The expected sour is there, some green orchard fruit, some citrus zest, a hint of yeast, and really no malt.

The flavor is of course why we came to this bottle. Bright granny smith apple and unripe pear immediately that enhances the lactic pucker we love in our guezes. I am reminded a bit of Petrus Aged Pale, but the orchard fruit notes really shine through in this beer. Citrus zest complements thoroughly in the taste, pretty much in all three phases. A touch of yeast in the finish with the green, unripe orchard tartness lingering.

Mouthfeel is, right, champagne like. This is a top notch brew. I read Garret Oliver's selection on Gueze's after this and wish it were the other way around. I definitely plan on a food paring with this beer in the near future.

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%

355 ML bottle from Butch's in Holland, MI.

This bottle was poured into a goblet while listening to Know Your Rights by the Clash.

Pours a lightly hazy orange almost the same color as the label on the bottle.

Huge amounts of fruitiness, candy, and grapefruit on the nose. Sweet, light, and apricots also show up a bit. Reminds me of some type of orange/apricot candy I've had before but cannot put my finger on it.

A lot of fruit, tangerine and grapefruit, on the palate. Sour! Very light, very fruity, yet tart but it is quite a curious taste.

Very easy to drink and although I don't see myself buying a lot of Lindeman's myself I will highly recommend this to anyone trying a Geuze! Definitely fits in the style. Has to be one of the best in the category.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

750 mL bottle at just over refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter. Label reads "Botteld in 2008" (sic)

A - Poured a thick two-fingered head, with a reddish-brownish-golden body. The brew reacts to even the slightest swirl of the glass.

S - Sweet, peppery, and funky. I get lots of apricot, lemon (and meyer lemon!), musky old basement, peach, white grape, and the slightest hint of vinegar. Of course there are the requisite gueuze smells that have no name.

T - What a remarkably long finish, even for a gueuze! Surprisingly fruit-forward, with apricot, lemon, and apple flavors stepping up the most. Deliciously sour and tart.

M - The flavors sparkle on your palate. Very effervescent mouthfeel because of the high carbonation in conjunction with the flavor profile of sour, farmy, and fruity.

D - Absolutely a joy to drink. This style is my go-to warm weather brew, and the Cuvée René does not disappoint one bit. Be sure to take your time with this brew, as it only gets better as it warms - that's why I start with a refrigerated bottle and enjoy the progression. One of the best examples of gueuze that I've encountered.

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

I can hardly believe I had never tried this until last summer. Shame on me! The colour was golden with a thin head. The aroma was yeasty, spicy, doughy and biscuit-like. On the palate, there was loads of yeast as well as citrus and clove with a bitterness around the edges that had an essence of mustiness to it. I like it!

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

No vintage on the bottle so I think it's the new packaging which means it's probably pretty fresh. Appearance is great. Clear copper with a very nice white head that won't go away in my champagne glass. Smell is very musty. A tiny bit of a rotten smell in there and you can tell it's very acidic. Taste is also very acidic and sour - definitely mouthpuckering. It has a very clean finish compared to the other lambics I've tried, which leaves me a little disappointed as I prefer the tartness to linger on the palate. The flavor seems a bit muted and doesn't quite have that zing that I've come to love. It's just a tad too watery for my tastes as well. Extremely refreshing though, and something I could drink all night long. Perhaps with some age this will develop.

4.34/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured 2011 into Rogue Goblet (only glassware available at the time)

A - Pours a slightly hazy straw/golden color. It produced a finger width of white head that faded quickly. I was surprised that it didn't liberate more head and wasn't as effervescent though.

S - Barn yard funk, earthy, goaty, with citrus fruits(lemon and grapefruit) and slightly sour (like sour apple?).

T - Nicely sour up front, followed but a little muskiness and finishes off acidic.

M- Light bodied, crisp and with nice carbonation. Easy to drink. Again, not as carbonated as I would have expected.

O - I'll admit I'm not a Gueuze expert, but I really enjoyed this. It seemed nicely balanced between sour and acidic. It was complex enough to keep things interesting. I will definitely drink this again.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottle dated 1994. Pours darker than expected, a dark amber color, clear, with a dense, snow white head that lingers long. Aroma is hugely complex, with lots of musty character, some sourness, and very funky, with horse blanket and all you would expect from a true lambic. The flavor is equally complex, acetic and musty but with a balancing sweetness. Aftertaste is equally complex, leaving you wanting more. A great lambic for the true lambic fan.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

orange and foamy out of the bottle, not untypical for the style. tart and dry nose, some vinegar. slightly complex gueze but not terribly so -- only average. tastes of lambic funk, tart and dry with some acetic qualities. scrubbing bubbles in the mouth, fairly light body.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

750 ml bottle in a tumbler (don't judge it was away from home you make due with what you have)
A:very effervescent, pours a lovely pale orange, head quickly dissipates
S:funky and fruity, also a hint of peppercorn, a subtle floral note comes out in the nose too, there's a lot going on here
T:lemon, orange and a touch of pineapple are all immediately apparent, obviously tart (but not overwhelmingly so) and funky as is common for the style, very dry, but also crisp and refreshing, very subtle hints of alcohol but they are barely apparent and actually pleasant in the degree that they are present. Black peppercorn is also present, that seems like it would be offputting by it is refreshing and complementary.
M:dry and lingering, tartness stays in the mouth
O: an exceptional beer. If you have never had a gueuze, you should start with this one, it is easy to drink without pandering, it is a good representation of the style and it is easy to find not to mention also being quite affordable (way cheaper than gueuze tilquin) if you like lambics, there's really no reason not to try this one and constantly have a bottle in reserve, a great beer all the way.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Vibrant orange colour with a light orange head. This beer has a great feel to it already.
S - It has a tart, fruity aroma.
T - Very fruity, tart, dry, sour taste. Tastes like sweet tarts candy to me. Brings me back to my youth.
M - It has a splendid light body.
D - This is a great beer overall but I am not sure that it has great drink-ability for me. It seems like its tart flavour would start to rub me the wrong way after a few of these.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

355 ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with three and a half fingers of frothy white head; fades quickly, no lacing.

S: Smells yeasty and cider-y: tart green fruit and white wine, musty.

T: Tastes very tart; fruity but no real sweetness apparent; has a dry, bitter finish which I don't believe derives from hops but from the yeast; medicinal.

M: Mouthfeel is fairly light; this is very crisp with lots of fine carbonation.

D: It's funny, this is one of those beers that's greater than the sum of its parts. I would not want to drink it all night but still worthwhile.

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%

from whole foods shared with mmercede poured into wine glasses

appearance: golden, cloudy, some lacing

smell: lactic sour, maybe a little vinegar

taste: very dry, very sour, almost tart, slight bitter aftertaste

mouthfeel: dry, very carbonated

drinkability: taste isn't overly complex, fairly drinkable but i wouldn't have too many

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Hazy orangish amber with meduum head and clingy lace.

Smell is of a tart apple cider with some breadiness, love the aroma.

Intense fruity flavors, zesty tartness characteristic of the style. Sweet, tart flavor.

This is a deliciously intense brew, well worth the price every now and then, and never, ever boring.

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

My first of this style, this poured a subdued golden hue with mild head and some lacing. Smell was very tart, sour and sweet, very intense aroma. Taste was very sour in front which puckers the lips and finishes with some mild fruity notes, for me the sourness just dominates the experience. I guess I'll just admit that being a freshmen BA my palate probably just isn't devoloped enough to appreciate this style yet. I plowed through a tulips worth of this one but I could't get anyone I was with to even try more than one sip. I can see the value in this beer however so I will definitely be revisiting it after perhaps a year or so.

3.66/5  rDev -10.1%

Cuvee rene pours a bright golden hazy yellow. Fizzy light head fades quickly. The smell is hard to describe, no hops not much malt. But there is some scents of citrus, but its hard to pick one out. The taste is tart as expected, but I didn't like how there was no sweetness to balance the tartness. And I dont like how there is no fruit backbone to help the beer. The mouth is light and the bubbles make it even lighter. At 5% it is a very drinkable beer, however after two glasses the tartness wrecks my tastes.

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

A-pours a golden yellow white a generous white head and explosive looking carbonation
S-a nice tartness fruitness (apple and pear notes) with a musty edge and a yeasty character
T-the tartness is immediate which is complimented by a slew of flavors; apple, pear with a pronounced mustyness which yeast prevalent in the background a bit of an acquired taste though
M-medium body with a lively almost champagne level of carbonation makes it very crisp and refreshing
D-this beer very drinkable and very refreshing but being that its a gueze its has a rather acquired taste

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

750ml green bottle with natural cork. Bottled 02OCT07, marked best by 31DEC13.

A=Golden colored with a slight haze when poured into a snifter. Little to no head or lacing.

S= Fruity and tart aroma.

T= Apricot and lemon combine for a clean tart flavor.

M/D= Clean and crisp, I could drink this all night.

My first Gueuze and I'll be looking for others.

4.37/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Pours a clean, crisp golden hue. With bubbles rising to the top to form a minimal head, that is gone rather quickly.

S: Lime/lemon squeeze. People say funkiness, this is my first beer from this style, but I can say I agree. Not exactly sure what this smell is, but I like it.

T: It has a sour crispness to it. My first sip brought me back to when I was a kid sucking on warheads. I wasn't sure it would be so utterly tart, yet so delicious. I can't pick up all the flavors though.

M/D: Smooth and crisp. This is my first gueuze, and I have to say I like it. It is very complex, for me anyway. I keep tasting, trying to slowly piece it together. I can tell why people say this is the next style up from ipa/dipa, complex and intriguing.

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Pours a golden yellow with a bit of an orange hue, cloudy from sediment and carbonation, and a sizeable white head of fine, dense bubbles. Excellent retention, gradually settling to nearly a half-inch cap.

S: A sharp, slightly sweet cider vinegar aroma and a funky mustiness dominate the nose, but let through smells of dry white wine, fresh fruit, lemon, spicy yeast, and wheaty malts.

T: Lemon juice and cider vinegar give a tart kick before seguing into milder lactic sourness and tastes of green apples, white wine (reminiscent of champagne), understated malts, and a bit of yeast.

M: Hovering between light and medium bodied, but it feels quite light with high levels of crisp, champagne-like carbonation. The finish is dry and clean, leaving no more than slight astringency on the palate.

D: I can't compare it to much else as it's the only gueuze I've had, but it seems to be pretty solid. The flavour profile seemed a bit shallow even after acclimatising to the initial bitterness, but it's well worth trying if only to make you rethink what beer is. Piquant.

3.72/5  rDev -8.6%

750mL bottle in flute

pours smooth with TONS of carbonation maintaining a half finger of head. smells of spice and apples. theres a sweet dry scent too similar to champagne.

smooth with lots of carbonation in the mouth. mouth puckering, but not overwhelming. leaves a dry mouthfeel. has a sweet tartness to it. the flavors are very silimar to lindemans framboise, only without the actual berry flavor itself. it becomes much more bitter as it warms and opens up.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a capped and corked bottle into a Lost Abbey tulip-type stemmed glass. Pours a golden orange with a huge fluffy white head, which has excellent retention. Aromas of tart apples and lemon. Tastes like a granny smith apple, finishes sweet and tart like a lemon. Light body with lots of fine carbonation. Overall, much less tart than other lambics. A nice, approachable, easy to drink starter.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

the bottle is a 375 ml with a cap and foil around it ,that i popped and poured out into my glass .

Appearence:its an amber copper gold color with a nice tight bubble foamy head that lasts the whole experience with loads of carbonation very clear.

Smell:the aroma is on the mark ,sweet dry hops and lemon/grape fruit sourness low to no malt and a bit of wood quility.

Taste:medium to lite body some mild citrus sweetness like beautiful fresh lemon and grapefruit with a dry hops flavor that just tops this off .it`s so good .

Mouthfeel:this is a mild to rich sour heaven ,lemon juice and grapefruit peels that are pure enjoyment, mouth pucking? great.

Drinkability:this is a great beer,world class ,if this was a bit darker and more alcohol this would be a perfect beer,the flavors are fantastic,the sourness is close to perfection a bit more,perhap some ale qualities would do it.

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Date on label says: 15 NOV 2007

Picked this one out because, well, i've never had this style and wanted to try it.
Capped and corked got me a little weirded out to start with, but okay here it goes

Poured this into my lost abbey tulip glass
A - bright gold with a sizeable white head that filled the glass and looked to be pretty thick, then fell quickly leaving no lacing around the glass.

S - Citrus and sour with a trailing off smell of funky that i'm learning to enjoy a bit more

T - Sour and sour with a bit of funk at the end again

M - Carbonation is a bit high for my liking, kinda smooth but in a champagne kind of way

D - Not bad for my first gueuze, but not my favorite style. I'll try one of these again, but it won't be for a while.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans