Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Style: Gueuze

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

Reviews: 870 | Ratings: 2,026
3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

I can hardly believe I had never tried this until last summer. Shame on me! The colour was golden with a thin head. The aroma was yeasty, spicy, doughy and biscuit-like. On the palate, there was loads of yeast as well as citrus and clove with a bitterness around the edges that had an essence of mustiness to it. I like it!

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

cloudy pale golden yellow, deep to almost orang. a finger of large bubbles make a head that simmers out quickly to a thin covering. Looks like champagne in the glass.

smell is complex, wet hay, light barnyard funk, firm brett sourness, green grape, orange citrus.

Delicate sour flavours backed by juicy tropical citrus fruits, peachy, lemony, sourdough, raspberry.

light and fizzy bubbles dance all around. good body with a tart finish and plenty of warm alcohol even though low abv.

Overall a really fun and bright experience. Tropical fruits, tart but not overbearing sourness - refreshing in fact. Would be a top choice on a hot summer day to sit and sip.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

No vintage on the bottle so I think it's the new packaging which means it's probably pretty fresh. Appearance is great. Clear copper with a very nice white head that won't go away in my champagne glass. Smell is very musty. A tiny bit of a rotten smell in there and you can tell it's very acidic. Taste is also very acidic and sour - definitely mouthpuckering. It has a very clean finish compared to the other lambics I've tried, which leaves me a little disappointed as I prefer the tartness to linger on the palate. The flavor seems a bit muted and doesn't quite have that zing that I've come to love. It's just a tad too watery for my tastes as well. Extremely refreshing though, and something I could drink all night long. Perhaps with some age this will develop.

4.34/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured 2011 into Rogue Goblet (only glassware available at the time)

A - Pours a slightly hazy straw/golden color. It produced a finger width of white head that faded quickly. I was surprised that it didn't liberate more head and wasn't as effervescent though.

S - Barn yard funk, earthy, goaty, with citrus fruits(lemon and grapefruit) and slightly sour (like sour apple?).

T - Nicely sour up front, followed but a little muskiness and finishes off acidic.

M- Light bodied, crisp and with nice carbonation. Easy to drink. Again, not as carbonated as I would have expected.

O - I'll admit I'm not a Gueuze expert, but I really enjoyed this. It seemed nicely balanced between sour and acidic. It was complex enough to keep things interesting. I will definitely drink this again.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

355ml bottle poured into tulip after a struggle with the cork that I'm glad nobody else saw.

Pours a hazy medium golden yellow with half a finger of foamy eggshell head that leaves foamy blobs of lace as it recedes.

Smells of underripe orchard fruit and sour citrus. Green apple, white grape, sliced lemon, wildflowers and mild cheesy funk.

Tastes of intense green apple, lemon and orange, sour grape juice, mild sweet pineapple and more soft funk.

Feels light and foamy. Medium-light bodied with frothy carbonation. Finishes off dry and pleasantly tart.

Verdict: Vigorously recommended. Intense, complex and refreshing.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottle dated 1994. Pours darker than expected, a dark amber color, clear, with a dense, snow white head that lingers long. Aroma is hugely complex, with lots of musty character, some sourness, and very funky, with horse blanket and all you would expect from a true lambic. The flavor is equally complex, acetic and musty but with a balancing sweetness. Aftertaste is equally complex, leaving you wanting more. A great lambic for the true lambic fan.

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

orange and foamy out of the bottle, not untypical for the style. tart and dry nose, some vinegar. slightly complex gueze but not terribly so -- only average. tastes of lambic funk, tart and dry with some acetic qualities. scrubbing bubbles in the mouth, fairly light body.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Vibrant orange colour with a light orange head. This beer has a great feel to it already.
S - It has a tart, fruity aroma.
T - Very fruity, tart, dry, sour taste. Tastes like sweet tarts candy to me. Brings me back to my youth.
M - It has a splendid light body.
D - This is a great beer overall but I am not sure that it has great drink-ability for me. It seems like its tart flavour would start to rub me the wrong way after a few of these.

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

355 ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with three and a half fingers of frothy white head; fades quickly, no lacing.

S: Smells yeasty and cider-y: tart green fruit and white wine, musty.

T: Tastes very tart; fruity but no real sweetness apparent; has a dry, bitter finish which I don't believe derives from hops but from the yeast; medicinal.

M: Mouthfeel is fairly light; this is very crisp with lots of fine carbonation.

D: It's funny, this is one of those beers that's greater than the sum of its parts. I would not want to drink it all night but still worthwhile.

3.84/5  rDev -5.9%

from whole foods shared with mmercede poured into wine glasses

appearance: golden, cloudy, some lacing

smell: lactic sour, maybe a little vinegar

taste: very dry, very sour, almost tart, slight bitter aftertaste

mouthfeel: dry, very carbonated

drinkability: taste isn't overly complex, fairly drinkable but i wouldn't have too many

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Hazy orangish amber with meduum head and clingy lace.

Smell is of a tart apple cider with some breadiness, love the aroma.

Intense fruity flavors, zesty tartness characteristic of the style. Sweet, tart flavor.

This is a deliciously intense brew, well worth the price every now and then, and never, ever boring.

2.98/5  rDev -27%

My first of this style, this poured a subdued golden hue with mild head and some lacing. Smell was very tart, sour and sweet, very intense aroma. Taste was very sour in front which puckers the lips and finishes with some mild fruity notes, for me the sourness just dominates the experience. I guess I'll just admit that being a freshmen BA my palate probably just isn't devoloped enough to appreciate this style yet. I plowed through a tulips worth of this one but I could't get anyone I was with to even try more than one sip. I can see the value in this beer however so I will definitely be revisiting it after perhaps a year or so.

3.66/5  rDev -10.3%

Cuvee rene pours a bright golden hazy yellow. Fizzy light head fades quickly. The smell is hard to describe, no hops not much malt. But there is some scents of citrus, but its hard to pick one out. The taste is tart as expected, but I didn't like how there was no sweetness to balance the tartness. And I dont like how there is no fruit backbone to help the beer. The mouth is light and the bubbles make it even lighter. At 5% it is a very drinkable beer, however after two glasses the tartness wrecks my tastes.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

A-pours a golden yellow white a generous white head and explosive looking carbonation
S-a nice tartness fruitness (apple and pear notes) with a musty edge and a yeasty character
T-the tartness is immediate which is complimented by a slew of flavors; apple, pear with a pronounced mustyness which yeast prevalent in the background a bit of an acquired taste though
M-medium body with a lively almost champagne level of carbonation makes it very crisp and refreshing
D-this beer very drinkable and very refreshing but being that its a gueze its has a rather acquired taste

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

750ml green bottle with natural cork. Bottled 02OCT07, marked best by 31DEC13.

A=Golden colored with a slight haze when poured into a snifter. Little to no head or lacing.

S= Fruity and tart aroma.

T= Apricot and lemon combine for a clean tart flavor.

M/D= Clean and crisp, I could drink this all night.

My first Gueuze and I'll be looking for others.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours a clean, crisp golden hue. With bubbles rising to the top to form a minimal head, that is gone rather quickly.

S: Lime/lemon squeeze. People say funkiness, this is my first beer from this style, but I can say I agree. Not exactly sure what this smell is, but I like it.

T: It has a sour crispness to it. My first sip brought me back to when I was a kid sucking on warheads. I wasn't sure it would be so utterly tart, yet so delicious. I can't pick up all the flavors though.

M/D: Smooth and crisp. This is my first gueuze, and I have to say I like it. It is very complex, for me anyway. I keep tasting, trying to slowly piece it together. I can tell why people say this is the next style up from ipa/dipa, complex and intriguing.

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Pours a golden yellow with a bit of an orange hue, cloudy from sediment and carbonation, and a sizeable white head of fine, dense bubbles. Excellent retention, gradually settling to nearly a half-inch cap.

S: A sharp, slightly sweet cider vinegar aroma and a funky mustiness dominate the nose, but let through smells of dry white wine, fresh fruit, lemon, spicy yeast, and wheaty malts.

T: Lemon juice and cider vinegar give a tart kick before seguing into milder lactic sourness and tastes of green apples, white wine (reminiscent of champagne), understated malts, and a bit of yeast.

M: Hovering between light and medium bodied, but it feels quite light with high levels of crisp, champagne-like carbonation. The finish is dry and clean, leaving no more than slight astringency on the palate.

D: I can't compare it to much else as it's the only gueuze I've had, but it seems to be pretty solid. The flavour profile seemed a bit shallow even after acclimatising to the initial bitterness, but it's well worth trying if only to make you rethink what beer is. Piquant.

3.72/5  rDev -8.8%

750mL bottle in flute

pours smooth with TONS of carbonation maintaining a half finger of head. smells of spice and apples. theres a sweet dry scent too similar to champagne.

smooth with lots of carbonation in the mouth. mouth puckering, but not overwhelming. leaves a dry mouthfeel. has a sweet tartness to it. the flavors are very silimar to lindemans framboise, only without the actual berry flavor itself. it becomes much more bitter as it warms and opens up.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a capped and corked bottle into a Lost Abbey tulip-type stemmed glass. Pours a golden orange with a huge fluffy white head, which has excellent retention. Aromas of tart apples and lemon. Tastes like a granny smith apple, finishes sweet and tart like a lemon. Light body with lots of fine carbonation. Overall, much less tart than other lambics. A nice, approachable, easy to drink starter.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

the bottle is a 375 ml with a cap and foil around it ,that i popped and poured out into my glass .

Appearence:its an amber copper gold color with a nice tight bubble foamy head that lasts the whole experience with loads of carbonation very clear.

Smell:the aroma is on the mark ,sweet dry hops and lemon/grape fruit sourness low to no malt and a bit of wood quility.

Taste:medium to lite body some mild citrus sweetness like beautiful fresh lemon and grapefruit with a dry hops flavor that just tops this off .it`s so good .

Mouthfeel:this is a mild to rich sour heaven ,lemon juice and grapefruit peels that are pure enjoyment, mouth pucking? great.

Drinkability:this is a great beer,world class ,if this was a bit darker and more alcohol this would be a perfect beer,the flavors are fantastic,the sourness is close to perfection a bit more,perhap some ale qualities would do it.

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Date on label says: 15 NOV 2007

Picked this one out because, well, i've never had this style and wanted to try it.
Capped and corked got me a little weirded out to start with, but okay here it goes

Poured this into my lost abbey tulip glass
A - bright gold with a sizeable white head that filled the glass and looked to be pretty thick, then fell quickly leaving no lacing around the glass.

S - Citrus and sour with a trailing off smell of funky that i'm learning to enjoy a bit more

T - Sour and sour with a bit of funk at the end again

M - Carbonation is a bit high for my liking, kinda smooth but in a champagne kind of way

D - Not bad for my first gueuze, but not my favorite style. I'll try one of these again, but it won't be for a while.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

750mL bottle, vintage unknown, poured into a Duvel tulip. Cork came out effortlessly - a good sign. I've had a few lambics before, but this is my first gueuze.

Beer pours very hazy with a deep golden-amber hue. Even a gentle pour yields a 2 1/2 finger head with an almost creamy appearance. This beer looks beautiful in my glass. The nose is predominantly wood and yeast, somewhat acidic and a bit earthy. If this were a wine I would say I can smell the terroir. I could smell the beer the instant I opened it; I wish my apartment smelled like this all the time.

Initially sour is the predominant taste - moreso than the nose let on for sure. Between sips I get some bready flavors as well. As the beer warms some fruity flavors develop - I get a lot of apple and pear - and better balance the acidity. The body is a bit fuller than what I would call light, though the carbonation makes it feel more viscous. Each swallow leaves a very thin coating around the edges of my mouth - overall I really enjoy the mouthfeel.

A great beer, I'll definitely be seeking out more lambics in the future.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Hazy golden hue with a bubbly, bright white head. Seems fairly carbonated with tons of tiny bubbles streaming to the surface.

S - Lemon upfront along with that sort of nose-filling pungentness that lambics have. There's the expected funk, that to me is most similar to wet hay/straw and wood(which is what I typically associate with brett). It's not as funky or assertive as some other gueuzes I've had, but that might be because it's still fairly cold.

T - More than any other gueuze/lambic I've had, this has the most distinct twang coming from actual wheat flavor as opposed to sourness from the bugs(which is still there). Very woody dirty/earthy funkiness. That leads into the finish along with a lemony sourness.

MF - Lots of prickly carbonation that makes it very refreshing. I haven't had any other gueuzes that were nearly this carbonated, but it's nice.

D - Maybe the most drinkable gueuze I've had. It's not as sour/funky as others I've had, which isn't necessarily good or bad, but I do think that adds to the drinkability.

It's difficult to review a gueuze, because I think I've really enjoyed all of the ones I've tried, and I don't get to drink them very often(price/availability). I'm trying to review to a C = average scale, but it's difficult considering I've only tried a handful. Short and simple: This isn't as sour/funky as others I've tried, but it still has those attributes and is pretty tasty, with much more of a wood flavor than others.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

I slept on this one for too long.
Last bottle in my store, many customers recommended it.
Such a good lambic, defintely not funky or out there.
Nice and smooth, a bit of sour and a bit of barrel character.
Dry & sweet.
I could see this lambic turning white wine drinkers to beer.
World-Class for sure.
I've heard this is Lindemans best offering, and it does not disappoint.
There's no artificial sweeteners! Hence the oude! :)

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

2007. Although there is a confusing notch between a 5 and 6 on the label. Gold label with a matching foil top. Beneath the foil top is a cap and cork. 750 mL poured vigorously into a tall pilsner.

A- Pours beautifully into the tall glass, showing great variation in color from top to bottom. A pale-gold morphing into a deeper gold with even haze. Crab-nebula-like lacing.

S- With a quick whiff, only a sweetness similar to cane-sugar. A deeper huff reveals a green apple funky tartness and some yeast character.

T- Funk sourness throws a hook put doesn't know you out. It catches you, but doesn't sting for very long. Green apple again, leaving an "equal" like sweetness once the tartness dies down.

M- Light on the palate and spritzy with meadium carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

D- Low alcohol, easy to drink, a great "intro" gueuze or a great bargain for the gueuze oriented.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans