Join our email list →

Brouwerij Lindemans
Belgium | website

Gueuze | 5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Reviews: 858 | Hads: 1,975
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Vibrant orange colour with a light orange head. This beer has a great feel to it already.
S - It has a tart, fruity aroma.
T - Very fruity, tart, dry, sour taste. Tastes like sweet tarts candy to me. Brings me back to my youth.
M - It has a splendid light body.
D - This is a great beer overall but I am not sure that it has great drink-ability for me. It seems like its tart flavour would start to rub me the wrong way after a few of these.

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

355 ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with three and a half fingers of frothy white head; fades quickly, no lacing.

S: Smells yeasty and cider-y: tart green fruit and white wine, musty.

T: Tastes very tart; fruity but no real sweetness apparent; has a dry, bitter finish which I don't believe derives from hops but from the yeast; medicinal.

M: Mouthfeel is fairly light; this is very crisp with lots of fine carbonation.

D: It's funny, this is one of those beers that's greater than the sum of its parts. I would not want to drink it all night but still worthwhile.

3.84/5  rDev -5.9%

from whole foods shared with mmercede poured into wine glasses

appearance: golden, cloudy, some lacing

smell: lactic sour, maybe a little vinegar

taste: very dry, very sour, almost tart, slight bitter aftertaste

mouthfeel: dry, very carbonated

drinkability: taste isn't overly complex, fairly drinkable but i wouldn't have too many

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Hazy orangish amber with meduum head and clingy lace.

Smell is of a tart apple cider with some breadiness, love the aroma.

Intense fruity flavors, zesty tartness characteristic of the style. Sweet, tart flavor.

This is a deliciously intense brew, well worth the price every now and then, and never, ever boring.

2.98/5  rDev -27%

My first of this style, this poured a subdued golden hue with mild head and some lacing. Smell was very tart, sour and sweet, very intense aroma. Taste was very sour in front which puckers the lips and finishes with some mild fruity notes, for me the sourness just dominates the experience. I guess I'll just admit that being a freshmen BA my palate probably just isn't devoloped enough to appreciate this style yet. I plowed through a tulips worth of this one but I could't get anyone I was with to even try more than one sip. I can see the value in this beer however so I will definitely be revisiting it after perhaps a year or so.

3.66/5  rDev -10.3%

Cuvee rene pours a bright golden hazy yellow. Fizzy light head fades quickly. The smell is hard to describe, no hops not much malt. But there is some scents of citrus, but its hard to pick one out. The taste is tart as expected, but I didn't like how there was no sweetness to balance the tartness. And I dont like how there is no fruit backbone to help the beer. The mouth is light and the bubbles make it even lighter. At 5% it is a very drinkable beer, however after two glasses the tartness wrecks my tastes.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

A-pours a golden yellow white a generous white head and explosive looking carbonation
S-a nice tartness fruitness (apple and pear notes) with a musty edge and a yeasty character
T-the tartness is immediate which is complimented by a slew of flavors; apple, pear with a pronounced mustyness which yeast prevalent in the background a bit of an acquired taste though
M-medium body with a lively almost champagne level of carbonation makes it very crisp and refreshing
D-this beer very drinkable and very refreshing but being that its a gueze its has a rather acquired taste

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

750ml green bottle with natural cork. Bottled 02OCT07, marked best by 31DEC13.

A=Golden colored with a slight haze when poured into a snifter. Little to no head or lacing.

S= Fruity and tart aroma.

T= Apricot and lemon combine for a clean tart flavor.

M/D= Clean and crisp, I could drink this all night.

My first Gueuze and I'll be looking for others.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours a clean, crisp golden hue. With bubbles rising to the top to form a minimal head, that is gone rather quickly.

S: Lime/lemon squeeze. People say funkiness, this is my first beer from this style, but I can say I agree. Not exactly sure what this smell is, but I like it.

T: It has a sour crispness to it. My first sip brought me back to when I was a kid sucking on warheads. I wasn't sure it would be so utterly tart, yet so delicious. I can't pick up all the flavors though.

M/D: Smooth and crisp. This is my first gueuze, and I have to say I like it. It is very complex, for me anyway. I keep tasting, trying to slowly piece it together. I can tell why people say this is the next style up from ipa/dipa, complex and intriguing.

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Pours a golden yellow with a bit of an orange hue, cloudy from sediment and carbonation, and a sizeable white head of fine, dense bubbles. Excellent retention, gradually settling to nearly a half-inch cap.

S: A sharp, slightly sweet cider vinegar aroma and a funky mustiness dominate the nose, but let through smells of dry white wine, fresh fruit, lemon, spicy yeast, and wheaty malts.

T: Lemon juice and cider vinegar give a tart kick before seguing into milder lactic sourness and tastes of green apples, white wine (reminiscent of champagne), understated malts, and a bit of yeast.

M: Hovering between light and medium bodied, but it feels quite light with high levels of crisp, champagne-like carbonation. The finish is dry and clean, leaving no more than slight astringency on the palate.

D: I can't compare it to much else as it's the only gueuze I've had, but it seems to be pretty solid. The flavour profile seemed a bit shallow even after acclimatising to the initial bitterness, but it's well worth trying if only to make you rethink what beer is. Piquant.

3.72/5  rDev -8.8%

750mL bottle in flute

pours smooth with TONS of carbonation maintaining a half finger of head. smells of spice and apples. theres a sweet dry scent too similar to champagne.

smooth with lots of carbonation in the mouth. mouth puckering, but not overwhelming. leaves a dry mouthfeel. has a sweet tartness to it. the flavors are very silimar to lindemans framboise, only without the actual berry flavor itself. it becomes much more bitter as it warms and opens up.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a capped and corked bottle into a Lost Abbey tulip-type stemmed glass. Pours a golden orange with a huge fluffy white head, which has excellent retention. Aromas of tart apples and lemon. Tastes like a granny smith apple, finishes sweet and tart like a lemon. Light body with lots of fine carbonation. Overall, much less tart than other lambics. A nice, approachable, easy to drink starter.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

the bottle is a 375 ml with a cap and foil around it ,that i popped and poured out into my glass .

Appearence:its an amber copper gold color with a nice tight bubble foamy head that lasts the whole experience with loads of carbonation very clear.

Smell:the aroma is on the mark ,sweet dry hops and lemon/grape fruit sourness low to no malt and a bit of wood quility.

Taste:medium to lite body some mild citrus sweetness like beautiful fresh lemon and grapefruit with a dry hops flavor that just tops this off .it`s so good .

Mouthfeel:this is a mild to rich sour heaven ,lemon juice and grapefruit peels that are pure enjoyment, mouth pucking? great.

Drinkability:this is a great beer,world class ,if this was a bit darker and more alcohol this would be a perfect beer,the flavors are fantastic,the sourness is close to perfection a bit more,perhap some ale qualities would do it.

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Date on label says: 15 NOV 2007

Picked this one out because, well, i've never had this style and wanted to try it.
Capped and corked got me a little weirded out to start with, but okay here it goes

Poured this into my lost abbey tulip glass
A - bright gold with a sizeable white head that filled the glass and looked to be pretty thick, then fell quickly leaving no lacing around the glass.

S - Citrus and sour with a trailing off smell of funky that i'm learning to enjoy a bit more

T - Sour and sour with a bit of funk at the end again

M - Carbonation is a bit high for my liking, kinda smooth but in a champagne kind of way

D - Not bad for my first gueuze, but not my favorite style. I'll try one of these again, but it won't be for a while.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

750mL bottle, vintage unknown, poured into a Duvel tulip. Cork came out effortlessly - a good sign. I've had a few lambics before, but this is my first gueuze.

Beer pours very hazy with a deep golden-amber hue. Even a gentle pour yields a 2 1/2 finger head with an almost creamy appearance. This beer looks beautiful in my glass. The nose is predominantly wood and yeast, somewhat acidic and a bit earthy. If this were a wine I would say I can smell the terroir. I could smell the beer the instant I opened it; I wish my apartment smelled like this all the time.

Initially sour is the predominant taste - moreso than the nose let on for sure. Between sips I get some bready flavors as well. As the beer warms some fruity flavors develop - I get a lot of apple and pear - and better balance the acidity. The body is a bit fuller than what I would call light, though the carbonation makes it feel more viscous. Each swallow leaves a very thin coating around the edges of my mouth - overall I really enjoy the mouthfeel.

A great beer, I'll definitely be seeking out more lambics in the future.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Hazy golden hue with a bubbly, bright white head. Seems fairly carbonated with tons of tiny bubbles streaming to the surface.

S - Lemon upfront along with that sort of nose-filling pungentness that lambics have. There's the expected funk, that to me is most similar to wet hay/straw and wood(which is what I typically associate with brett). It's not as funky or assertive as some other gueuzes I've had, but that might be because it's still fairly cold.

T - More than any other gueuze/lambic I've had, this has the most distinct twang coming from actual wheat flavor as opposed to sourness from the bugs(which is still there). Very woody dirty/earthy funkiness. That leads into the finish along with a lemony sourness.

MF - Lots of prickly carbonation that makes it very refreshing. I haven't had any other gueuzes that were nearly this carbonated, but it's nice.

D - Maybe the most drinkable gueuze I've had. It's not as sour/funky as others I've had, which isn't necessarily good or bad, but I do think that adds to the drinkability.

It's difficult to review a gueuze, because I think I've really enjoyed all of the ones I've tried, and I don't get to drink them very often(price/availability). I'm trying to review to a C = average scale, but it's difficult considering I've only tried a handful. Short and simple: This isn't as sour/funky as others I've tried, but it still has those attributes and is pretty tasty, with much more of a wood flavor than others.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

I slept on this one for too long.
Last bottle in my store, many customers recommended it.
Such a good lambic, defintely not funky or out there.
Nice and smooth, a bit of sour and a bit of barrel character.
Dry & sweet.
I could see this lambic turning white wine drinkers to beer.
World-Class for sure.
I've heard this is Lindemans best offering, and it does not disappoint.
There's no artificial sweeteners! Hence the oude! :)

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

2007. Although there is a confusing notch between a 5 and 6 on the label. Gold label with a matching foil top. Beneath the foil top is a cap and cork. 750 mL poured vigorously into a tall pilsner.

A- Pours beautifully into the tall glass, showing great variation in color from top to bottom. A pale-gold morphing into a deeper gold with even haze. Crab-nebula-like lacing.

S- With a quick whiff, only a sweetness similar to cane-sugar. A deeper huff reveals a green apple funky tartness and some yeast character.

T- Funk sourness throws a hook put doesn't know you out. It catches you, but doesn't sting for very long. Green apple again, leaving an "equal" like sweetness once the tartness dies down.

M- Light on the palate and spritzy with meadium carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

D- Low alcohol, easy to drink, a great "intro" gueuze or a great bargain for the gueuze oriented.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

A: Poured into a pint glass. Appears a hazy golden color with a bit of an orange-ish tinge. Hard pour yields a big fluffy long lasting white head.

S: Awesomely tart fruity aromas. Like smelling a freshly cut lemon. With some grape or apple skin as well.

T: Intense citric (not vinegarry like some sours) tartness with some funk from the yeast followed by an even more intense bitter, tannic tartness which reminds me of grape skin. Finishes super dry.

M: Pretty light mouthfeel with spritzy, lively carbonation.

O: An intense, in your face sour. I'd love to try more like this. I haven't had many sours, but this is insanely enjoyable.

4.61/5  rDev +13%

Bottle to snifter.

Look (3.5/5) - the look was a bit disappointing, really. The color is a rich gold. It's much too cloudy for the style, a little less than a witbier actually. The head rose quickly and was fairly large, but fell too fast and without any lacing.

Smell (4.5/5) - The smell was ideal. Some sourness, of a sharp sour-grape, berry, or crab-apple sort. The brunky-brett aroma (goat, hay) was in there as, but more gentle and balanced. Slight vanilla in the nose. A little bit reminiscent of sour sugar candy.

Flavor (5/5) - the flavor is excellent and well-balanced. A touch more malt than on the nose with a hint of sweetness to it (overall it is tart wheat and some biscuit). Medium-light sourness is certainly present, but not overpowering. It has the same fruity tones to it and the brett is a little less intense on the tongue than on the nose. The finish has a nice lasting tang.

Feel (4.5/5) - Very good. Light body and very high carbonation. Any more body and the sharp flavors wouldn't play all that well. Fizz compliments the long, sour finish.

Drink (4.5/5) - This was a great brew. Both very drinkable ad intensely flavorful. The brew would have been perfect, if not for the problems with its looks.

3.74/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured a 355 mL bottle, dated 15 Nov 2007, into a Tulip.

A: Poured a massive 1.5 fingered creamy head, in a tulip this appears huge. The color is a glorious Tawny. The carbonation is rising nicely in the glass and it seems as if the head is hardly going anywhere. This head appears as it's staying for the long haul and this head does.

S: This smell is definitely something that is memorable. The smell of this is simply a vinegar-like grass. This is definitely the first time I have picked up this smell on a beer, but this is my very first Gueuze.

T: At the very beginning of this swallow a very sharp sweetness comes and goes. This becomes really sour. The lining that this leaves in the mouth is oddly really great. As it warms it feels as if this becomes more tart rather the sour I first tasted.

M: This is a nice creamy, crisp, beast that it a delight to take in. The carbonation feels aggressive at first, but medium and the body is also medium.

O: I was promised this would taste like multiple aged Lambics and I can't say that they lied. I could picture myself casually drinking a Lambic, but this is something I could honestly say I was not prepared for.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Wow! Intense sharp tart aroma and flavor. Intense, complex aromatics...higher alcohols? Something made me cough. Very tart flavor profile. Lemon fruit, lemon rind, red grapefruit. The sour flavors completely obscure any malt sweetness. Only a slight vinegar component. I like this better than the more vinegary RR Compunction or Cantillon Rose de Grambrinus. Startling amount of flavor packed into this low-alcohol, light-colored beer. Doesn't have a lot of depth, though. It's all right there in front.

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

A - Long lasting head; thin, but persistent

S - Great nose. A lot of citrus and floral notes to it

T - Fairly one dimensional, although it does have a great puckering sour taste on the back end which is what I was looking for. But, again, it just didn't have much else going on

M - Quite good; hits all the right spots, though none spectacularly

D - Very drinkable, though not diverse enough to capture my palate's attention for a second bottle

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Wow what a surprise! This beer is awesome!
Somewhat hazy pour. Aroma had a hint of plastic in the smell which is the only reason I marked it down. This beer has a dry finish that makes it easy to just keep drinking. This is in part due to the really vigorous carbonation which makes the drink light and airy. Such a nice example of the style and I'm so happy that it's locally available.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

For the price you really can't beat this Gueze.

While I prefer Consecration and many of the RR sours this is still very good.

The pour is a real light tangerine/yellow with ample head. I've had bottles with much sediment and others bare. Not sure why, but I've noticed this a lot.

I've also had a bottle that was sour beyond recognition. This is a Gueze that should always be in the refrigerator when you are drinking without a special event.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans