Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,859 | Reviews: 834
4.88/5  rDev +19.3%

Boom.

Anyway, the head is large and white-bubbled at first, but gradually fades into a short, but tight and constant layer that maintains throughout the period of blessed enjoyment.

The smell is laid back gueuze. It's gentle, but certainly present, and accurately implies the beer's flavor profile, though understates it. Nothing too sweet, but barely tart.

The flavor is awesome. A wonderful way to introduce a friend to lambic beer in general, and a challenge to match it's cleanliness. Mouthfeel, similarily, with all that oozing gueuzy au-natural micro carbonation, activity, and general excitement.

Not much needs to be said. Sit down with one of these and learn something about beer, and about yourself.

Corked bottle. Bottled on date: 08 Nov. 2011. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: A nice satisfying "pop" from the cork. Very hazy amber to light orange. Very minimal head, quickly dissipating and leaving little lacing on the glass. Lots of small bubbles; almost looks like stars twinkling in the sky.

Smell: Even before I put my nose to it, I can smell the funk. With my nose in the glass, I also pick up a lot of green apple and apple cider vinegar, as well as oak and even more barnyard funk. There is also a surprisingly fruity sour note.

Taste: Where to begin. The first thing I noticed was the funk, and a lot of it. It seems like a common note that holds all of the other flavors together, leading to a very nice and complex balance. Following the nose, there is also green apple and some sour and tart red fruit, maybe raspberry. As I keep sipping, there is woody oak and some wine like tannins, mixed with balsamic and vinegar. When the beer warms a bit, some sea salt and yeast flavors emerge, only to become even more dominated by horseblanket and funk.

Mouthfeel: Medium to low carbonation, but this might be in part due to the bottling age. The beer is very crisp with a creamy body. The finish is long, mouthpuckering, sour. and lively. It just goes on forever.

Overall: So, so good. The price is right, the beer is incredibly complex while remaining balanced, with none of the flavors overpowering the others; they all work together like a symphony. I would definitely buy this again. This is what beer should be. I don't know what else I can say about it.

4.37/5  rDev +6.8%

[Side Note] I substituted this beer for Cantillon Gueuze in the salad dressing in the "Roasted Cauliflower Salad" recipe in the latest issue of Beer Advocate and decided to pair the rest of this beer with the salad. It was delicious on all accounts.

Poured this beer down the center of a mini tulip glass and came out with a huge, billowy white head that simply exploded into the glass. As it descended the lacing clung to and painted every inch it touched. It was a bright gold color, very attractive, with lively streams of bubbles.

In the aroma there was sour-vinegar, light fruitiness, musk, lemon-orange-citrus zing, damp and fields. There is nothing like a good Belgian beer when it comes to aroma.

The first sip is tart, sharp and acidic, almost like biting into a lemon. There is just enough sweet here to balance into a very refreshing experience, however. It is an exuberant expression balanced by some earthy notes. The body is light, but the carbonation makes it feel twice its size.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A really wonderful ale. Poured from the bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Pours golden-orange, hazed, lots of fluffy white head. A good bit of funk and fruity character in the aroma. Pretty tart (sour!) and funky, with citrus-like acidic quality. Really good stuff, I love it. Really makes you pucker up. I'd get this one again without a doubt.

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottle, capped & corked. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - 2 finger head, goes down fairly quickly to cover+ring. Hazy golden color.

S - wow - never really realized what "barnyard funk" truly could be till this. I literally think I may inhale some hay. You also get some of the candied sweet smell/tart that is typical with Lindemans. Lemon/citrus. Pretty unique.

T - puckering funky tartness! It definitely smells sweeter than it tastes. Acidic aftertaste, which I'm not a huge fan of.

M - pretty dry. Light-bodied. Carbonation is fine. Can't really taste any alcohol.

O/D - this is my first gueuze review (& I've only had a couple of them before), & I'd have to say it's drinkable, but you have to like sours. Lots of people say that this is a good intro to sours. I might recommend something else, I guess it depends on what you typically like. Maybe this one if you're a Saison fan. But overall, it's a bit too sour to be too drinkable...one is enough.

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

served from the corked 750ml bottle. This beer is very carbonated. Pours into the glass and a large head immediately forms. The head is maintained and produces a lot of lacing in the glass. The smell of this beer is very tart and so is the taste. I assume this profile is typical among lambics, but this is my first one so I don't have a comparison. This is a good beer, I am just not quite accustomed to the lambic profile.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Pours a beautiful dark golden color that glows in the light with a lot of head that is quick to dissipate to about a half an inch, with very good retention.

S- Sweet citrusy aroma. Has a sort of sour apple/orange citrus smell. The sour being the strongest of the aromas the others are very light somewhat harder to distinguish.

T - The initial taste is similar to the smell, sour apple/orange with a sour finish. The initial taste is sweet with a nice tart finish.

M - Very light mouth-feel with higher amounts of carbonation. Also has a dry champagne like finish.

D - Good drink-ability, not something I would have several of in a night but a great beer to have one or two of in an evening.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

375 ml poured into Tulip glass

A- Light yellow to orange, slightly hazy, 3 finger white head.

S-Tart, light funky, lemon, hay, orange zest.

T-Lemon, citrus, tart unripe fruit on the front. Lots of hay, a little barnyard earthy-ness on the finish. Not puckering sourness. I detect a little protein, iron flavor on the finish. Almost like blood. Weird, I know. Had to check my tongue to make sure I didn't bite it or something.

M- Nice crisp tartness, very effervescent which helps to develop all the flavors of the beer. Doesn't feel thin or lacking. Solid.

O- I am thrown off by a little off-flavor at the finish. I am not counting this beer out because it has some really amazing tart and fruit qualities. The funk seems just a little bit off. It's good, but would like to get rid of that iron/protein/blood flavor and have more wet hay and horse-blanket. I would recommend this beer to people first trying gueuze.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

On to beer #2 this fine New Years' Eve. Thus far I enjoyed a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (If you can say that 6 times without screwing up give you one --- no I won't (more for me)) and finished my 'from scratch' BBQ Pizza. The pizza was rich, so I need a contrasting beer.

Too lazy to get another glass, I wash out the mug and pour a July 2012 vintage. Sacrilege
perhaps, yet not a concern in this review IMHO. The bottlecap got wedged in the bottle opener, an event that has never happened to me in 30 years of inebriation! Were the beer gods trying to communicate? 8:1 foam ratio on pouring, with a milky blonde-red color. I do the Homer Simpson Lip Smack in anticipation.

Smell: Tart! More tart than a Welsh Tart! Lemon and lime sour - reminds me of Rose's lime cordial -- and a yeast funk. A-won't-u-take-me-to-...-...-funky-tart?

Taste: Instant tartness disippates into a fruity character, then a late musty finish. Perhaps a little on the mellow-side, but overall a very nice beer which is far too easy to drink. A beer to cellar, and open under the right circumstances.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a hazy golden copper with a finger of foamy white head. Leaves a good web of lacing down the glass.

Smells tart, with some fruit and spice, with a strong musty, horse blanket smell.

Tart, but not too strong. Some fruit, spice, and again, a little musty. Very strange.

Light body and some carbonation. Goes down pretty smooth.

A good beer. Has that pure, farmhouse style flavor. Complex, yet approachable for newbies to the world of sours. Low alcohol makes it quite sessionable.

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

350ml bottle poured into a 9oz tulip.

A - Slightly dark golden color with a big fluffy white head. Rather bubbly. Slight bit of haze.

S - Big nose of bananas hits me first. As I put my nose closer, there's bits of lemon and some barnyard / horse blanket.

T - Tart, and slightly more sour than I was expecting from a Lindemans, but well balanced acidity overall. Not a huge amount of depth. Mostly lemon zest, sour apple, and slight funk, with a bit of a nutty after-taste.

M - Dry and sparkling, almost champagne-like.

D - Nicely balanced, crisp and refreshing. While there's not as much going on as some others, this is a very drinkable geuze.

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

says it's bottled August 13th 2012. Not really sure what this could mean. I guess it's best by that date?

appearance - orange with a little haze. White frothy head.

smell - earthy, funky, tart, bretty. Citrus

taste - green apple and citrus like lemon rinds dominate the flavor. A bit sweet malt in the middle balanced with some oak, not as acidic as expected and actually finishes mouth watering.

mouthfeel - thin mouthfeel with low carbonation. Could use a few extra months in the bottle as is suggested by the bottle itself.

overall - I love the apple and citrus notes. I bought this at my local liquor store and it was only $7.99. I think that this is an amazing value for this beer. It's balanced, and tart, and mouthwateringly delicious. I'm probably going to pick up a bunch more of this. Great entry level sour.

750 for only ~$10

the appearance is light orange, straw yellow color. smells sour and like grapes. taste is tart and sweet...tastes like grapes and sour fruit... . the carbonation is lively and it cuts across your tongue. pretty thin body, appropriate for the style. pretty high drinkability, i like the beer. good stuff.

3.96/5  rDev -3.2%

A fairly mild and refreshing sour. It has a pleasant floral cheese quality to it. It pours a clear golden color with a little bit of head. It is lightly sweet up front and then a mild sour that doesn’t linger for very long. it has a light thin and lively body. Not my favorite sour but definitely a good one.

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

This is different. My first Gueuze.

First impression as it poured in to a tulip glass was very favorable, golden, slightly hazy beer with a thin golden head. The head disappeared quickly with virtually no collar or lacing.

Strong, but not entirely pleasant nose. Really like a lime coolaid, so mostly an artificial smell. Didn't detect the funky horse blanket that others have.

Taste is OK, nothing I would spend much time searching for again. The mouthfeel is OK and the beer is well balanced, but the overall impression is again of artificial lime flavors.

4.09/5  rDev 0%

Sharing this 750ml bottle with my brother, Chris. Sharing is caring. Label says this bottle is from 02 Okt 2007.

Pours a clear as day copper gold with a fizzy white head that quickly disappears, completely. Once settled, there is little to no movement.

Aroma immediately starts off with strong sour notes, barn floors, farm dirt and slapping horse tails. The more I pull this into my nostrils, the more I feel like a fly, buzzing around a pile of equine hair laced manure. It feels right.

Taste follows the nose, but is even more sour, and slightly less poopy. I'm digging it. While it's quite sour, it's not overwhelming. I want to keep quenching my thirst with it.

Prickling my tongue, René is well carbonated. It would appear to be much more calm than it is when consumed. Not overly fizzy, though, which is good.

This, I believe, was the first Gueuze I ever tasted, when I discovered the style, and I'm happy to be enjoying it again now, for the second or third time.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Tasted this alongside the ordinary gueuze from the same brewery.

A - pale golden, crystal clear, head dies down fast.

S - funkiness, leather, green apples, lime,

T - Opens very soft with some veeery faint pale malt profile. As it comes a long it reveals the same complexity of flavors as in the aroma. A apple cidery flavor starts to kick in, and I get a bit worried that it's gonna take over (like in the ordinary guezue from the same brewery), but it stops just short of being too offensive. Dry and tart on the finish,

M - Puckering mouthfeel, body is lighter then the ordinary guezue - I think this one works better. High carbonation.

O - A real treat, tons of exciting flavors, really refreshing. The Cuvée is waaay better than the ordinary gueuze!

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

375mL bottle

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

APPEARANCE : Beautiful blond colour with lively champagne-like carbonation rising to form a slightly off-white head which starts off huge, almost gusher-like, and then calms and drops back to almost nothing. Almost no lacing to speak of.

SMELL : First nose has some citrus, but mostly barnyard funk, yeasts and some hay. Slight metallic tinge. Second nose opens a rich woody aroma. Third nose calms down the citrus and funks and definitely brings out the yeast profile. Beautiful.

TASTE : Acidity is present, but backed up by a real freshness. Citrus and herbs are also present, but not so much as the nose seemed to announce. The wood that was present on the nose almost completely disappears once in the mouth.

MOUTHFEEL : Great carbonation, fine bubbles, more ample than champagne. You get the kind of earthy/dusty feeling so typical of the barnyard funk.

OVERALL : One of the best balanced gueuze I've had the pleasure of drinking. I'm aging a few of I have left, see what happens with this big boy in a few years' time. I'll probably chuck out another review.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

750ml bottle pours a hazey orange. Couple cm of head which fades but leaves tiny bubbles floating on the surface. Musty faintly sour smell. Tastes exactly how it smells which is a good thing. I would prefer a little more but it has a nice sour flavor. Good enough to get my fix without spending a fortune. Overall a very refreshing brew for a 90 degree day laying in a hammock!

3.68/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle. Pours bubbly gold with thick white head. Smell is funk, lemon, yeast. Taste is sour/tart lemon, lime, dough. Champagne bubbles...cleans the palate. Goes down smooth. Quite refreshing. One of my first introductions to the style and I will definitely be back for more.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance-Light-medium gold color. Pretty clear with a slight cloudiness to it. Small,thin head that lasts to the finish. Good looking beer.
Aroma-Some good funky notes of barnyard and horseblanket are in there with slight fruitiness in background. No hop to speak of.
Flavor-Acidic but not very acidic. I like my mouth to pucker just a little. Sourness up front but fades fast to a seltzery dry finish. Barnyard flavors also end quick. Background of rhubarb is evident. High carbonation.

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a tulip from a bottle dated July 2010.

A: A nice yellowish orange with a thin haze. A 3 finger, very light, yellowish head was produced that left way to a thin lace around the rim of the glass.

S: A mixture between sour apples and barn yard. Definitely an interesting smell.

T: Very tart and sour. Very good. Pick up hints of grass and apples along with a little lemon. The finish is slightly metal like/chemical, but not off putting.

M: Good carbonation and produces a nice tingle on the tongue.

O: A good beer. This is not something I could drink everyday, but definitely enjoy on occasion.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottled on 08 Nov 2011, poured into a flute

A - Golden yellow. Pilsner-like but with more of a bright neon glow. Fluffy white head starts at 3 fingers, then reduces down to a lasting half finger with good uneven lacing. There is lots of carbonation.

S - I am first hit by a funk which brings to mind fireworks/gun powder, or something industrial (machines running, oil, burning rubber). Strangely, it's not at all bad! Soon hints of very sour fruit come into the mix.

T - I first notice the prickly, fluffy mouthfeel as the initial taste is subtle.On the back end is sour green apple candy and a spicy peppery dryness. As I continue to smell and taste, the industrial quality transforms into some earthy vegetables and black peppercorns.

O - My first gueze! I am a bit surprised that I found the sourness to be relatively subdued, but it really enhances the whole experience. This stuff is beyond complex - I will definitely be exploring the style further, and will pick up more of this one for sure!

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 12 oz corked and capped bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a light-medium golden color, with a huge burst of carbonation that forms a very active head, eventually settling down to a thin ring.

The aroma on this beer is very sharp. Green apples permeate through a funky-yeast character. A malty-graininess also peeks its way through.

Crisp, sour, and funky are the three fire words when describing the flavor of this beer. Apples and pears dominate up front, but move aside to allow for that funkiness that I expect. The high carbonation allows for this beer to finish extremely dry, which matches the crisp flavors very well, and allows for high drinkability.

It's been a while since I've had a good gueuze, and this one didn't disappoint.

4.73/5  rDev +15.6%

This was recommended by other BA's as a good start for getting my taste buds wet for lambic beer. And I must say they were right on.

Good carbonation. Think white head that dissipates pretty fast. Just a touch of lacing but not much. Nice deep golden color to it. Smell has some spicy/clove-like aromas in it. Nice clean malt aroma and no sourness at all in the nose, which really shocked me for a lambic.

Taste: very well rounded and smooth. Man, this was not what I was expecting. I was expecting a mouth-puckering sour attack on my palate, but it's not the case at all. There is a touch of tartness to it but it's smooth. There is no vinegar flavor in this at all which makes it even more drinkable in my opinion. I was simply shocked by this beer. It's the best sour/lambic beer I've ever had. There is some earthy, herbal flavors in it but it's hard to pin down.

Very nice. If you've never had a lambic I would recommend this one to start with. It's simply great!

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans