Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

Style: Gueuze

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

Reviews: 870 | Ratings: 2,027
4.12/5  rDev +1%

A: Poured into a pint glass. Appears a hazy golden color with a bit of an orange-ish tinge. Hard pour yields a big fluffy long lasting white head.

S: Awesomely tart fruity aromas. Like smelling a freshly cut lemon. With some grape or apple skin as well.

T: Intense citric (not vinegarry like some sours) tartness with some funk from the yeast followed by an even more intense bitter, tannic tartness which reminds me of grape skin. Finishes super dry.

M: Pretty light mouthfeel with spritzy, lively carbonation.

O: An intense, in your face sour. I'd love to try more like this. I haven't had many sours, but this is insanely enjoyable.

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

A - Long lasting head; thin, but persistent

S - Great nose. A lot of citrus and floral notes to it

T - Fairly one dimensional, although it does have a great puckering sour taste on the back end which is what I was looking for. But, again, it just didn't have much else going on

M - Quite good; hits all the right spots, though none spectacularly

D - Very drinkable, though not diverse enough to capture my palate's attention for a second bottle

4.61/5  rDev +13%

Bottle to snifter.

Look (3.5/5) - the look was a bit disappointing, really. The color is a rich gold. It's much too cloudy for the style, a little less than a witbier actually. The head rose quickly and was fairly large, but fell too fast and without any lacing.

Smell (4.5/5) - The smell was ideal. Some sourness, of a sharp sour-grape, berry, or crab-apple sort. The brunky-brett aroma (goat, hay) was in there as, but more gentle and balanced. Slight vanilla in the nose. A little bit reminiscent of sour sugar candy.

Flavor (5/5) - the flavor is excellent and well-balanced. A touch more malt than on the nose with a hint of sweetness to it (overall it is tart wheat and some biscuit). Medium-light sourness is certainly present, but not overpowering. It has the same fruity tones to it and the brett is a little less intense on the tongue than on the nose. The finish has a nice lasting tang.

Feel (4.5/5) - Very good. Light body and very high carbonation. Any more body and the sharp flavors wouldn't play all that well. Fizz compliments the long, sour finish.

Drink (4.5/5) - This was a great brew. Both very drinkable ad intensely flavorful. The brew would have been perfect, if not for the problems with its looks.

3.74/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured a 355 mL bottle, dated 15 Nov 2007, into a Tulip.

A: Poured a massive 1.5 fingered creamy head, in a tulip this appears huge. The color is a glorious Tawny. The carbonation is rising nicely in the glass and it seems as if the head is hardly going anywhere. This head appears as it's staying for the long haul and this head does.

S: This smell is definitely something that is memorable. The smell of this is simply a vinegar-like grass. This is definitely the first time I have picked up this smell on a beer, but this is my very first Gueuze.

T: At the very beginning of this swallow a very sharp sweetness comes and goes. This becomes really sour. The lining that this leaves in the mouth is oddly really great. As it warms it feels as if this becomes more tart rather the sour I first tasted.

M: This is a nice creamy, crisp, beast that it a delight to take in. The carbonation feels aggressive at first, but medium and the body is also medium.

O: I was promised this would taste like multiple aged Lambics and I can't say that they lied. I could picture myself casually drinking a Lambic, but this is something I could honestly say I was not prepared for.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Wow! Intense sharp tart aroma and flavor. Intense, complex aromatics...higher alcohols? Something made me cough. Very tart flavor profile. Lemon fruit, lemon rind, red grapefruit. The sour flavors completely obscure any malt sweetness. Only a slight vinegar component. I like this better than the more vinegary RR Compunction or Cantillon Rose de Grambrinus. Startling amount of flavor packed into this low-alcohol, light-colored beer. Doesn't have a lot of depth, though. It's all right there in front.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Wow what a surprise! This beer is awesome!
Somewhat hazy pour. Aroma had a hint of plastic in the smell which is the only reason I marked it down. This beer has a dry finish that makes it easy to just keep drinking. This is in part due to the really vigorous carbonation which makes the drink light and airy. Such a nice example of the style and I'm so happy that it's locally available.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

For the price you really can't beat this Gueze.

While I prefer Consecration and many of the RR sours this is still very good.

The pour is a real light tangerine/yellow with ample head. I've had bottles with much sediment and others bare. Not sure why, but I've noticed this a lot.

I've also had a bottle that was sour beyond recognition. This is a Gueze that should always be in the refrigerator when you are drinking without a special event.

3.55/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very nice bottle. Gold colored foil wrapper on the top. A bottle from the future. Bottled date reads Nov 23, 2012. Cap and cork, awesome. Very light pop when pulling the cork. Poured at 50 degrees into my Allagash tulip glass.

A: Pours light pale golden hue with 2 finger head that dissipates fairly quickly to a thin ring of tight bubbles. No lacing on the glass nice carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass.

S: Smells a little musty with banana, lemon, and orange notes. This one doesn't have an awfully strong aroma. Definitely reminds me of the smell of champagne.

T: Nice sharp slightly sour and tart taste. Goes down fairly easily. Tastes of lemon and orange come out as detected in the aroma. Very little alcohol detected. Definitely a good beer for the warmer weather.

M: Carbonation is prickly on the tongue which makes it nice and light. Slightly oily consistency.

O: Good but not tart or sour enough to my liking. This is my first Gueuze so I am not sure if they are regularly more tart/sour or not. Overall a very nice beer and I'm glad I got to try this. I think I would pick this up again once or twice a year.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- pours with high carbonation and a large but thin head that goes down to about 1 finger, is a very pretty amber gold and you can tell that it is bottle conditioned.

S- Like a fresh orchard, apples, acidity, spices and lemonade. Plus probably a 100 other flavors. hmmm

T- Super tart at first but it mellows out quickily, almost zero of the raw sour flavors you find in most sours I have had, the souriness is super refined and reminds me again of lemonade, also has a great dry finish. So this is what a great gauze tastes like!

M- High carbonation and a thin body.

D- easily my new favorite lambic. I need to go buy more of this.

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%

Purchased for 8.99 at Grapes of Mirth in Columbus, Ohio. Served slightly chilled in a wine glass from a 750 mL caged corked bottle. This was our beer replacement for Champagne for New Year’s Eve.
Appearance was clear golden color with lots of tiny bubbles. Began with a small white head that left some lacing.
This is one interesting smelling beer. There is a musty smell that is more pronounced than I have noticed in other Gueze beers. There are also fruity, sour smells as well. I love the smells here.
On first sipping this, all I noticed was SOUR. Once I got by the initial blast of sourness, there were the musty, fruity, funky flavors I was expecting from this beer. Ends with more sourness.
This had a nice carbonated mouthfeel. It was a good substitute for Champagne. Dry at the end.
Overall this is a great example of Gueze. It is so much better than the more commercial fruit lambics from Lindemans. I don’t think I could drink this very often and definitely needed others to help me finish, but for the style it is very drinkable. It was enjoyed by several who only rarely drink anything other than BMC. I continue to be amazed at the flavors and smells produced in this beer style and will seek out this and other examples as I get the chance.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured into a bells tulip glass - had to wait for some of the head to settle before i could pour the whole bottle in.

Tons of light yellowish white head. Tried to keep most of the yeast in the bottle.

First sip puckered my lips. This is my first experimenting with sours and wow - didnt know what to expect. Tons of great zing and zip of lemony acrid tartness. Nice light crisp malt present and just a hint of belgy yeast.

Smell was great and pleasant.

Mouthfeel was full enough. Had to take many small sips.

I have realized that I may not be ready to delve into the world of sours. Not really my cup of beer.

2.02/5  rDev -50.5%

Pouted from a 375 ml bottle

App- Nice hazy, straw, cider color. Small white head with lacing

Sm- Citric with a small amount of funk. A little barnyard and some farmer's daughter. Not bad

Ta- Overwhelming acidity that can only be described as gastric. Tasted like I was drinking acid reflux. Utterly disgusting. Not even sour, just acidic. Tried to cut through and tasted some lemon, oak and tannic flavors but it was near impossible. Their blender must be devoid of all cognitive and tasting abilities.

MF- Good amount of carbonation. Bit full bodied for the style, but not horrible.

Dr- Undrinkable due to the taste.

Bought this to introduce a buddy to the style and was completely disappointed. A complete insult to the style. Suppose I should have know better coming from Lindeman's, but some of the other reviews made me optimistic. Will never buy again.

3.86/5  rDev -5.4%

This is a tough beer to review for me. It's the first gueuze I've had so it's hard to judge how it compares against the style.

Of course, an extremely unique style of beer. I've had several lambics over the past year or so, and have grown to really enjoy the style. I was often curious to what a lambic would taste like without the fruit, so I finally dished out the $8 and picked up a 750 of the Cuvee Rene.

My personal preference is for bitter beers, which this is far from. I absolutely loved the tartness of this. A very dry beer with that taste like biting into a lemon. A champagne level of carbonation that doesn't go away. Even after letting it sit in my tulip for a while to warm up, I could swirl it around and create another head. It's hard to get many specific flavors out it because the tartness is so overpowering. Bacteria is a hell of a thing.

Not something I'd drink every day, but a beer I enjoyed enough to actively try more from the style.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a very nice rich amber color with a fluffy white head

S - Nice and yeasty, like a wild ale

T - Smooth and sour and just a little bit salty. This was my first gueuze, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

M - Nice mouthfeel, a little light with a bit of carbonation

D - Very high

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

A score of 4.5 in the "smell" category would lead even the most un-Sherlockian of us to correctly deduce my love for the Gueuze, this being a good one...

Poured into my large tulip with an inviting golden-hazy hue, the small white head dissipates quickly. The nose is vintage Lambic barnyard (in the best possible way of course), with traces of grapefruit and faint malt. Why do I love that so much. Tastes of fresh, tart,yellow grapefruit intertwined with lemon zest that trail off into the aftertaste much like it stared, the hop presence un-detectable of course. Great, easy going, light (but with substance) mouth feel that would lend to an easy consumption of a 750ml on a warm summer day.

It's not the cleanest nor the most puckering Gueuze I've ever had, but it might just be the most refreshing. Served with a three cheese tortellini, with a brown butter, sage, & Greek myzithra cheese sauce, and I couldn't get enough of either. Enjoy.

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A great traditional gueuze that I figure is less popular because it's super easy to find. This is the genuine article... Price point, ubiquity, and mild funk/tartness make this an approachable, accessible sour beer.

4.11/5  rDev +0.7%

First Gueze in my beer drinking experience so I don't have any frame of reference to compare to.
Enjoyed the cap/cork bottling. Poured into a fluted glass. This beer has plenty of foamy, bubbling head which eventually settles down to a thin lacing. Lots of small carbonated bubbles rising to the top after the initial pour dissipating a bit after about 5 mins.
Aroma has an interesting mix of light funkiness, with strong hints of apple and lemon and some overall earthiness.
Initial taste is crisp, definitely tart and sour with more of those apples and lemons coming through.
The feel is very light and refreshing on the tongue with the fizz hitting the back of the throat.
Dry finish, lingering on the back of the tongue and throat.
Very enjoyable and unique.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Cuvee Rene-- this isn't one of Lindeman's sweet "lambics"-- this is the real deal.

color-- light pilsner color with a dirty white head. good lacing down the side of the glass. lots of carbonation, and dry dry dry.

green apple, hay, lemon, grass, dirt/ground, little musty, but not as intense as some guezes. nothing widely funky like cat pee or horse blanket in this one.

very dry and light on the tongue. zesty, sour lemon and floral characterstics. sourness on the sides of the tongue. very spritzy, tart and refreshing--you really get a flavor for the wheat. feel like there is almost some hop character to this one.

this is a good gueze but i think cantillon and others are certainly more deep, funky and complex. nonetheless, i can see this being a bit more widely appealing just because its not as funky and sour as some. this would make an amazing apperetif--dry, bubbly and not too overwhelming. just right to whet an appetite. Very champagne-like.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

355ml bottle, capped and corked, code L L10IGCR

Carefully decanted, appears bright golden orange with a monstrous fluffy off-white head. Plenty of visibly active carbonation in the beer and some splotches of lacing. Smells tart, funky, plenty of must. A powerful lemony aroma came out when I first opened the bottle but now it's nowhere to be found. That lemon definitely shows up in the taste, acidic but not sour. The flavors intensify as it continues to warm. Light bodied with carbonation that is a bit prickly, and a dry/puckering finish.

2.54/5  rDev -37.7%

Got this just to say that I completed the Lindeman's tour. I tried all of the other Lindeman offerings and was let down by this one. Maybe because I've never had a gueze before. Nothing sweet about this brew. Drinkability was tough. If there was a scale for tart acidic taste and a lemon was a 10, this drink would be a solid 9. I had a hard time getting this to go down. Gonna have to get back on the horse and try another brand of gueze just for comparison.
Sorry Lindeman's, just wasn't impressed.

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%

750ml poured into a snifter - 2006 bottle - served at 55 degrees.

A - pours a rich orange gold color with a very nice 2 finger head. Very lively carbonation after getting the cork off. Very nice thin sticky lacing hangs to the glass.

S - musty, with mild citrus notes of lemons and tangerines. A bit of pepper in the mix as well. Pretty low on the funk in my opinion.

T - very tart, vinegary, with citrus notes picking up in the middle followed by a lot of must on the finish. Apples notes pick up more and more as the beer reaches room temperature as do the barnyard tastes.

M - very light on the palate, very nice prickly carbonation. Dry finish.

D - I let my girlfriend take a sip of this and she told me "it tastes like a crybaby in liquid form". I enjoyed that quote. Drinkability is just average to me, but even though slow when my mouth is away from it for too long it starts to water for another sip. Ok, so i'll knock it up .5! Pretty good starter gueuze.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%

As my initial gueuze I was really pleased with this one. Lots of head on the pour, lots of little tight little bubbbles, hazy, orange color. The nose is initially a little tangy, a little funk, followed by some green apples or white grapes with sourdough bread - maybe my favorite part. Taste followed the smell for me - strong tart and sour green apples and 'farmy' funk on top of the bready sourdough flavor. Very tight bubbles and finishes extremely dry.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

A: honey/golden color with thin white head that dissolves quickly
S: sour, apples, sour lemon, hay, earth
T: funky and vinegary. Initially my first full reminded me of acidic vomit but then as I continued to drink the geuze, I tasted sour cherries and green apple. Funky and different. My first geuze.
M: very bubbly and effervescent. Almost like champagne but not as drying.
O: definitely interested in trying other geuzes now. I don't think I have a strong palate for the flavors yet I well definitely develop one!

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

bottle, served in oversized tulip

A - semi-cloudy apple juice colour with thin, bubbly head that quickly dissipates.

S - Hops, bitter, some vinegar, apple, pear

T - Some wheat, apple, barn, hay. Sour at the end, knocking everything else out. Tart.

M - Medium-high carbonation off the top, giving way to a medium density.

O - This is my second time having a gueuze. The first was the same brew about 3 years ago. I thought it was too much then, now it's delicious. Easy move from oud bruin and flanders red to this. Delicious.

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

I heard that this beer is a good starter to introduce yourself to this particular style so looked around and found one that was brewed on 2011. Uncorking it I was hit with a loud pop from all of the carbonation and bright notes of apple and pear on the nose. After pouring it I was able to appreciate its flavor much more. It has bright notes of crisp apple and a slight undertone of bread with a funky kick to it as well. On the palate it has wonderful rich fruit flavor of apple, pear and peach with a sour tone to give it a tangy flavor. Also, there are wonderful undertones of oak and bread all tied together with a funky tang to give it weight. hopefully after I sample other beers in this category, I will be able to broaden my palate and appreciate them more. However, for now I really love it!

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans