Join our email list →

Brouwerij Lindemans
Belgium | website

Gueuze | 5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Reviews: 857 | Hads: 1,971
4.14/5  rDev +1.5%

Purchased for 8.99 at Grapes of Mirth in Columbus, Ohio. Served slightly chilled in a wine glass from a 750 mL caged corked bottle. This was our beer replacement for Champagne for New Year’s Eve.
Appearance was clear golden color with lots of tiny bubbles. Began with a small white head that left some lacing.
This is one interesting smelling beer. There is a musty smell that is more pronounced than I have noticed in other Gueze beers. There are also fruity, sour smells as well. I love the smells here.
On first sipping this, all I noticed was SOUR. Once I got by the initial blast of sourness, there were the musty, fruity, funky flavors I was expecting from this beer. Ends with more sourness.
This had a nice carbonated mouthfeel. It was a good substitute for Champagne. Dry at the end.
Overall this is a great example of Gueze. It is so much better than the more commercial fruit lambics from Lindemans. I don’t think I could drink this very often and definitely needed others to help me finish, but for the style it is very drinkable. It was enjoyed by several who only rarely drink anything other than BMC. I continue to be amazed at the flavors and smells produced in this beer style and will seek out this and other examples as I get the chance.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured into a bells tulip glass - had to wait for some of the head to settle before i could pour the whole bottle in.

Tons of light yellowish white head. Tried to keep most of the yeast in the bottle.

First sip puckered my lips. This is my first experimenting with sours and wow - didnt know what to expect. Tons of great zing and zip of lemony acrid tartness. Nice light crisp malt present and just a hint of belgy yeast.

Smell was great and pleasant.

Mouthfeel was full enough. Had to take many small sips.

I have realized that I may not be ready to delve into the world of sours. Not really my cup of beer.

2.02/5  rDev -50.5%

Pouted from a 375 ml bottle

App- Nice hazy, straw, cider color. Small white head with lacing

Sm- Citric with a small amount of funk. A little barnyard and some farmer's daughter. Not bad

Ta- Overwhelming acidity that can only be described as gastric. Tasted like I was drinking acid reflux. Utterly disgusting. Not even sour, just acidic. Tried to cut through and tasted some lemon, oak and tannic flavors but it was near impossible. Their blender must be devoid of all cognitive and tasting abilities.

MF- Good amount of carbonation. Bit full bodied for the style, but not horrible.

Dr- Undrinkable due to the taste.

Bought this to introduce a buddy to the style and was completely disappointed. A complete insult to the style. Suppose I should have know better coming from Lindeman's, but some of the other reviews made me optimistic. Will never buy again.

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

A - Long lasting head; thin, but persistent

S - Great nose. A lot of citrus and floral notes to it

T - Fairly one dimensional, although it does have a great puckering sour taste on the back end which is what I was looking for. But, again, it just didn't have much else going on

M - Quite good; hits all the right spots, though none spectacularly

D - Very drinkable, though not diverse enough to capture my palate's attention for a second bottle

3.86/5  rDev -5.4%

This is a tough beer to review for me. It's the first gueuze I've had so it's hard to judge how it compares against the style.

Of course, an extremely unique style of beer. I've had several lambics over the past year or so, and have grown to really enjoy the style. I was often curious to what a lambic would taste like without the fruit, so I finally dished out the $8 and picked up a 750 of the Cuvee Rene.

My personal preference is for bitter beers, which this is far from. I absolutely loved the tartness of this. A very dry beer with that taste like biting into a lemon. A champagne level of carbonation that doesn't go away. Even after letting it sit in my tulip for a while to warm up, I could swirl it around and create another head. It's hard to get many specific flavors out it because the tartness is so overpowering. Bacteria is a hell of a thing.

Not something I'd drink every day, but a beer I enjoyed enough to actively try more from the style.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a very nice rich amber color with a fluffy white head

S - Nice and yeasty, like a wild ale

T - Smooth and sour and just a little bit salty. This was my first gueuze, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

M - Nice mouthfeel, a little light with a bit of carbonation

D - Very high

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

A score of 4.5 in the "smell" category would lead even the most un-Sherlockian of us to correctly deduce my love for the Gueuze, this being a good one...

Poured into my large tulip with an inviting golden-hazy hue, the small white head dissipates quickly. The nose is vintage Lambic barnyard (in the best possible way of course), with traces of grapefruit and faint malt. Why do I love that so much. Tastes of fresh, tart,yellow grapefruit intertwined with lemon zest that trail off into the aftertaste much like it stared, the hop presence un-detectable of course. Great, easy going, light (but with substance) mouth feel that would lend to an easy consumption of a 750ml on a warm summer day.

It's not the cleanest nor the most puckering Gueuze I've ever had, but it might just be the most refreshing. Served with a three cheese tortellini, with a brown butter, sage, & Greek myzithra cheese sauce, and I couldn't get enough of either. Enjoy.

4.11/5  rDev +0.7%

First Gueze in my beer drinking experience so I don't have any frame of reference to compare to.
Enjoyed the cap/cork bottling. Poured into a fluted glass. This beer has plenty of foamy, bubbling head which eventually settles down to a thin lacing. Lots of small carbonated bubbles rising to the top after the initial pour dissipating a bit after about 5 mins.
Aroma has an interesting mix of light funkiness, with strong hints of apple and lemon and some overall earthiness.
Initial taste is crisp, definitely tart and sour with more of those apples and lemons coming through.
The feel is very light and refreshing on the tongue with the fizz hitting the back of the throat.
Dry finish, lingering on the back of the tongue and throat.
Very enjoyable and unique.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Cuvee Rene-- this isn't one of Lindeman's sweet "lambics"-- this is the real deal.

color-- light pilsner color with a dirty white head. good lacing down the side of the glass. lots of carbonation, and dry dry dry.

green apple, hay, lemon, grass, dirt/ground, little musty, but not as intense as some guezes. nothing widely funky like cat pee or horse blanket in this one.

very dry and light on the tongue. zesty, sour lemon and floral characterstics. sourness on the sides of the tongue. very spritzy, tart and refreshing--you really get a flavor for the wheat. feel like there is almost some hop character to this one.

this is a good gueze but i think cantillon and others are certainly more deep, funky and complex. nonetheless, i can see this being a bit more widely appealing just because its not as funky and sour as some. this would make an amazing apperetif--dry, bubbly and not too overwhelming. just right to whet an appetite. Very champagne-like.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

355ml bottle, capped and corked, code L L10IGCR

Carefully decanted, appears bright golden orange with a monstrous fluffy off-white head. Plenty of visibly active carbonation in the beer and some splotches of lacing. Smells tart, funky, plenty of must. A powerful lemony aroma came out when I first opened the bottle but now it's nowhere to be found. That lemon definitely shows up in the taste, acidic but not sour. The flavors intensify as it continues to warm. Light bodied with carbonation that is a bit prickly, and a dry/puckering finish.

2.54/5  rDev -37.7%

Got this just to say that I completed the Lindeman's tour. I tried all of the other Lindeman offerings and was let down by this one. Maybe because I've never had a gueze before. Nothing sweet about this brew. Drinkability was tough. If there was a scale for tart acidic taste and a lemon was a 10, this drink would be a solid 9. I had a hard time getting this to go down. Gonna have to get back on the horse and try another brand of gueze just for comparison.
Sorry Lindeman's, just wasn't impressed.

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%

750ml poured into a snifter - 2006 bottle - served at 55 degrees.

A - pours a rich orange gold color with a very nice 2 finger head. Very lively carbonation after getting the cork off. Very nice thin sticky lacing hangs to the glass.

S - musty, with mild citrus notes of lemons and tangerines. A bit of pepper in the mix as well. Pretty low on the funk in my opinion.

T - very tart, vinegary, with citrus notes picking up in the middle followed by a lot of must on the finish. Apples notes pick up more and more as the beer reaches room temperature as do the barnyard tastes.

M - very light on the palate, very nice prickly carbonation. Dry finish.

D - I let my girlfriend take a sip of this and she told me "it tastes like a crybaby in liquid form". I enjoyed that quote. Drinkability is just average to me, but even though slow when my mouth is away from it for too long it starts to water for another sip. Ok, so i'll knock it up .5! Pretty good starter gueuze.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%

As my initial gueuze I was really pleased with this one. Lots of head on the pour, lots of little tight little bubbbles, hazy, orange color. The nose is initially a little tangy, a little funk, followed by some green apples or white grapes with sourdough bread - maybe my favorite part. Taste followed the smell for me - strong tart and sour green apples and 'farmy' funk on top of the bready sourdough flavor. Very tight bubbles and finishes extremely dry.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

A: honey/golden color with thin white head that dissolves quickly
S: sour, apples, sour lemon, hay, earth
T: funky and vinegary. Initially my first full reminded me of acidic vomit but then as I continued to drink the geuze, I tasted sour cherries and green apple. Funky and different. My first geuze.
M: very bubbly and effervescent. Almost like champagne but not as drying.
O: definitely interested in trying other geuzes now. I don't think I have a strong palate for the flavors yet I well definitely develop one!

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

bottle, served in oversized tulip

A - semi-cloudy apple juice colour with thin, bubbly head that quickly dissipates.

S - Hops, bitter, some vinegar, apple, pear

T - Some wheat, apple, barn, hay. Sour at the end, knocking everything else out. Tart.

M - Medium-high carbonation off the top, giving way to a medium density.

O - This is my second time having a gueuze. The first was the same brew about 3 years ago. I thought it was too much then, now it's delicious. Easy move from oud bruin and flanders red to this. Delicious.

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

I heard that this beer is a good starter to introduce yourself to this particular style so looked around and found one that was brewed on 2011. Uncorking it I was hit with a loud pop from all of the carbonation and bright notes of apple and pear on the nose. After pouring it I was able to appreciate its flavor much more. It has bright notes of crisp apple and a slight undertone of bread with a funky kick to it as well. On the palate it has wonderful rich fruit flavor of apple, pear and peach with a sour tone to give it a tangy flavor. Also, there are wonderful undertones of oak and bread all tied together with a funky tang to give it weight. hopefully after I sample other beers in this category, I will be able to broaden my palate and appreciate them more. However, for now I really love it!

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%

Presentation: 750mL bottle, poured into a white wine glass.

Appearance: A dark gold with a slight haze. Effervescent and a nice, big head that lasted for several minutes.

Aroma: Tart, sour apples, citrus... grapefruit and lemon, barnyard/horse blanket brett aroma. Very pleasant, indeed.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very tart at first, with flavors of apples and grapefruit. It mellows out while the horse blanket makes its appearance. Tart, dry, flavorful and very refreshing.

Notes: I love this beer. It is so flavorful and so refreshing. I will always have this or others like it on hand at all times.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my second adventure in the lambic styles at the suggestion of my friend and mentor, Shawn the Beer Philosopher. He called this one truer to the lambic style than my first one. My first one made me think I was drinking champaign. So, let's get to it...

A: Golden yellow with a hint of orange, just a little cloudy, clearly visible carbonation trails, and a white head that fizzes down to almost nothing.

S: Of course there is some fruit nose here but it comes off as not sweet but more tart instead. There is a musty/funky note in there, too. Plus this one has a yeasty smell as well (something missing from the other lambic).

T: Taste pretty much follows suit.

M: Thin bodied, bubbly, sometimes a little harsh but over all a good experience.

D: I loved it. As my palette expands with more of this style my opinion may change. But this one made me think I was drinking a style of beer instead of champaign.

4.26/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 3 Feb, 2012

A: Beer pours a beautiful shimmering gold. Effervescent appearance, Off-white head, looks very appealing. (can't wait to taste).

S: Some Trans-2 Nonenal present. Does not take away greatly from aroma. Smells Tart, with a hint of fresh citrus and apple/pear (Ethyl Hexanoate). Nice aroma overall, however the papery aroma does not seem to belong.

T: Sweet, tart, no presence of trans-2 in the flavor. really a very refreshing beer. I thought it would be more tart, but it is very well balanced

M: Coats the mouth nicely for 5%, and has a wonderful effervescent quality to it. The bubbles really help this style I feel.

O: What a fantastic representation of the Gueuze. I would drink this again and again.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

slightly hazy, golden yellow in color. smell is tart, vinegary, maybe ciderish. tastes great. just as i would expect of this slightly big gueuze from Lindemans. tartness up front, slightly dry-like a white wine in the finish. fruity, twangy and makes my mouth water with each sip.

4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

Boom.

Anyway, the head is large and white-bubbled at first, but gradually fades into a short, but tight and constant layer that maintains throughout the period of blessed enjoyment.

The smell is laid back gueuze. It's gentle, but certainly present, and accurately implies the beer's flavor profile, though understates it. Nothing too sweet, but barely tart.

The flavor is awesome. A wonderful way to introduce a friend to lambic beer in general, and a challenge to match it's cleanliness. Mouthfeel, similarily, with all that oozing gueuzy au-natural micro carbonation, activity, and general excitement.

Not much needs to be said. Sit down with one of these and learn something about beer, and about yourself.

Corked bottle. Bottled on date: 08 Nov. 2011. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: A nice satisfying "pop" from the cork. Very hazy amber to light orange. Very minimal head, quickly dissipating and leaving little lacing on the glass. Lots of small bubbles; almost looks like stars twinkling in the sky.

Smell: Even before I put my nose to it, I can smell the funk. With my nose in the glass, I also pick up a lot of green apple and apple cider vinegar, as well as oak and even more barnyard funk. There is also a surprisingly fruity sour note.

Taste: Where to begin. The first thing I noticed was the funk, and a lot of it. It seems like a common note that holds all of the other flavors together, leading to a very nice and complex balance. Following the nose, there is also green apple and some sour and tart red fruit, maybe raspberry. As I keep sipping, there is woody oak and some wine like tannins, mixed with balsamic and vinegar. When the beer warms a bit, some sea salt and yeast flavors emerge, only to become even more dominated by horseblanket and funk.

Mouthfeel: Medium to low carbonation, but this might be in part due to the bottling age. The beer is very crisp with a creamy body. The finish is long, mouthpuckering, sour. and lively. It just goes on forever.

Overall: So, so good. The price is right, the beer is incredibly complex while remaining balanced, with none of the flavors overpowering the others; they all work together like a symphony. I would definitely buy this again. This is what beer should be. I don't know what else I can say about it.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

[Side Note] I substituted this beer for Cantillon Gueuze in the salad dressing in the "Roasted Cauliflower Salad" recipe in the latest issue of Beer Advocate and decided to pair the rest of this beer with the salad. It was delicious on all accounts.

Poured this beer down the center of a mini tulip glass and came out with a huge, billowy white head that simply exploded into the glass. As it descended the lacing clung to and painted every inch it touched. It was a bright gold color, very attractive, with lively streams of bubbles.

In the aroma there was sour-vinegar, light fruitiness, musk, lemon-orange-citrus zing, damp and fields. There is nothing like a good Belgian beer when it comes to aroma.

The first sip is tart, sharp and acidic, almost like biting into a lemon. There is just enough sweet here to balance into a very refreshing experience, however. It is an exuberant expression balanced by some earthy notes. The body is light, but the carbonation makes it feel twice its size.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

A really wonderful ale. Poured from the bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Pours golden-orange, hazed, lots of fluffy white head. A good bit of funk and fruity character in the aroma. Pretty tart (sour!) and funky, with citrus-like acidic quality. Really good stuff, I love it. Really makes you pucker up. I'd get this one again without a doubt.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look: Semi cloudy, amber in the middle and yellow around the edges. Gives suggestions of honey sweetness.

Smell: Big lemon, orange, and grapefruit flavors, but also notes of honey, barnyard funk, and pineapple.

Taste: An assault of citrus flavors such as orange, lemon, and grapefruit. Notes of barnyard.

Feel: Prickly carbonation, tart and puckering up front with a dry finish. Light body, kind of reminded me of champagne.

Overall: Met my expectations for tartness, and was bursting with citrus flavors. A good summer brew, but more of a sipper.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans