Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée RenéLindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Alström Bros
Reviews: 829 | Hads: 1,873
3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottle, capped & corked. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - 2 finger head, goes down fairly quickly to cover+ring. Hazy golden color.

S - wow - never really realized what "barnyard funk" truly could be till this. I literally think I may inhale some hay. You also get some of the candied sweet smell/tart that is typical with Lindemans. Lemon/citrus. Pretty unique.

T - puckering funky tartness! It definitely smells sweeter than it tastes. Acidic aftertaste, which I'm not a huge fan of.

M - pretty dry. Light-bodied. Carbonation is fine. Can't really taste any alcohol.

O/D - this is my first gueuze review (& I've only had a couple of them before), & I'd have to say it's drinkable, but you have to like sours. Lots of people say that this is a good intro to sours. I might recommend something else, I guess it depends on what you typically like. Maybe this one if you're a Saison fan. But overall, it's a bit too sour to be too drinkable...one is enough. (959 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

served from the corked 750ml bottle. This beer is very carbonated. Pours into the glass and a large head immediately forms. The head is maintained and produces a lot of lacing in the glass. The smell of this beer is very tart and so is the taste. I assume this profile is typical among lambics, but this is my first one so I don't have a comparison. This is a good beer, I am just not quite accustomed to the lambic profile. (424 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Pours a beautiful dark golden color that glows in the light with a lot of head that is quick to dissipate to about a half an inch, with very good retention.

S- Sweet citrusy aroma. Has a sort of sour apple/orange citrus smell. The sour being the strongest of the aromas the others are very light somewhat harder to distinguish.

T - The initial taste is similar to the smell, sour apple/orange with a sour finish. The initial taste is sweet with a nice tart finish.

M - Very light mouth-feel with higher amounts of carbonation. Also has a dry champagne like finish.

D - Good drink-ability, not something I would have several of in a night but a great beer to have one or two of in an evening. (703 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

375 ml poured into Tulip glass

A- Light yellow to orange, slightly hazy, 3 finger white head.

S-Tart, light funky, lemon, hay, orange zest.

T-Lemon, citrus, tart unripe fruit on the front. Lots of hay, a little barnyard earthy-ness on the finish. Not puckering sourness. I detect a little protein, iron flavor on the finish. Almost like blood. Weird, I know. Had to check my tongue to make sure I didn't bite it or something.

M- Nice crisp tartness, very effervescent which helps to develop all the flavors of the beer. Doesn't feel thin or lacking. Solid.

O- I am thrown off by a little off-flavor at the finish. I am not counting this beer out because it has some really amazing tart and fruit qualities. The funk seems just a little bit off. It's good, but would like to get rid of that iron/protein/blood flavor and have more wet hay and horse-blanket. I would recommend this beer to people first trying gueuze. (922 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

On to beer #2 this fine New Years' Eve. Thus far I enjoyed a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (If you can say that 6 times without screwing up give you one --- no I won't (more for me)) and finished my 'from scratch' BBQ Pizza. The pizza was rich, so I need a contrasting beer.

Too lazy to get another glass, I wash out the mug and pour a July 2012 vintage. Sacrilege
perhaps, yet not a concern in this review IMHO. The bottlecap got wedged in the bottle opener, an event that has never happened to me in 30 years of inebriation! Were the beer gods trying to communicate? 8:1 foam ratio on pouring, with a milky blonde-red color. I do the Homer Simpson Lip Smack in anticipation.

Smell: Tart! More tart than a Welsh Tart! Lemon and lime sour - reminds me of Rose's lime cordial -- and a yeast funk. A-won't-u-take-me-to-...-...-funky-tart?

Taste: Instant tartness disippates into a fruity character, then a late musty finish. Perhaps a little on the mellow-side, but overall a very nice beer which is far too easy to drink. A beer to cellar, and open under the right circumstances. (1,081 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a hazy golden copper with a finger of foamy white head. Leaves a good web of lacing down the glass.

Smells tart, with some fruit and spice, with a strong musty, horse blanket smell.

Tart, but not too strong. Some fruit, spice, and again, a little musty. Very strange.

Light body and some carbonation. Goes down pretty smooth.

A good beer. Has that pure, farmhouse style flavor. Complex, yet approachable for newbies to the world of sours. Low alcohol makes it quite sessionable. (488 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

350ml bottle poured into a 9oz tulip.

A - Slightly dark golden color with a big fluffy white head. Rather bubbly. Slight bit of haze.

S - Big nose of bananas hits me first. As I put my nose closer, there's bits of lemon and some barnyard / horse blanket.

T - Tart, and slightly more sour than I was expecting from a Lindemans, but well balanced acidity overall. Not a huge amount of depth. Mostly lemon zest, sour apple, and slight funk, with a bit of a nutty after-taste.

M - Dry and sparkling, almost champagne-like.

D - Nicely balanced, crisp and refreshing. While there's not as much going on as some others, this is a very drinkable geuze. (650 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

says it's bottled August 13th 2012. Not really sure what this could mean. I guess it's best by that date?

appearance - orange with a little haze. White frothy head.

smell - earthy, funky, tart, bretty. Citrus

taste - green apple and citrus like lemon rinds dominate the flavor. A bit sweet malt in the middle balanced with some oak, not as acidic as expected and actually finishes mouth watering.

mouthfeel - thin mouthfeel with low carbonation. Could use a few extra months in the bottle as is suggested by the bottle itself.

overall - I love the apple and citrus notes. I bought this at my local liquor store and it was only $7.99. I think that this is an amazing value for this beer. It's balanced, and tart, and mouthwateringly delicious. I'm probably going to pick up a bunch more of this. Great entry level sour. (829 characters)

750 for only ~$10

the appearance is light orange, straw yellow color. smells sour and like grapes. taste is tart and sweet...tastes like grapes and sour fruit... . the carbonation is lively and it cuts across your tongue. pretty thin body, appropriate for the style. pretty high drinkability, i like the beer. good stuff. (322 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

A fairly mild and refreshing sour. It has a pleasant floral cheese quality to it. It pours a clear golden color with a little bit of head. It is lightly sweet up front and then a mild sour that doesn’t linger for very long. it has a light thin and lively body. Not my favorite sour but definitely a good one. (310 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

This is different. My first Gueuze.

First impression as it poured in to a tulip glass was very favorable, golden, slightly hazy beer with a thin golden head. The head disappeared quickly with virtually no collar or lacing.

Strong, but not entirely pleasant nose. Really like a lime coolaid, so mostly an artificial smell. Didn't detect the funky horse blanket that others have.

Taste is OK, nothing I would spend much time searching for again. The mouthfeel is OK and the beer is well balanced, but the overall impression is again of artificial lime flavors. (561 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

Sharing this 750ml bottle with my brother, Chris. Sharing is caring. Label says this bottle is from 02 Okt 2007.

Pours a clear as day copper gold with a fizzy white head that quickly disappears, completely. Once settled, there is little to no movement.

Aroma immediately starts off with strong sour notes, barn floors, farm dirt and slapping horse tails. The more I pull this into my nostrils, the more I feel like a fly, buzzing around a pile of equine hair laced manure. It feels right.

Taste follows the nose, but is even more sour, and slightly less poopy. I'm digging it. While it's quite sour, it's not overwhelming. I want to keep quenching my thirst with it.

Prickling my tongue, René is well carbonated. It would appear to be much more calm than it is when consumed. Not overly fizzy, though, which is good.

This, I believe, was the first Gueuze I ever tasted, when I discovered the style, and I'm happy to be enjoying it again now, for the second or third time. (977 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Tasted this alongside the ordinary gueuze from the same brewery.

A - pale golden, crystal clear, head dies down fast.

S - funkiness, leather, green apples, lime,

T - Opens very soft with some veeery faint pale malt profile. As it comes a long it reveals the same complexity of flavors as in the aroma. A apple cidery flavor starts to kick in, and I get a bit worried that it's gonna take over (like in the ordinary guezue from the same brewery), but it stops just short of being too offensive. Dry and tart on the finish,

M - Puckering mouthfeel, body is lighter then the ordinary guezue - I think this one works better. High carbonation.

O - A real treat, tons of exciting flavors, really refreshing. The Cuvée is waaay better than the ordinary gueuze! (759 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

375mL bottle

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

APPEARANCE : Beautiful blond colour with lively champagne-like carbonation rising to form a slightly off-white head which starts off huge, almost gusher-like, and then calms and drops back to almost nothing. Almost no lacing to speak of.

SMELL : First nose has some citrus, but mostly barnyard funk, yeasts and some hay. Slight metallic tinge. Second nose opens a rich woody aroma. Third nose calms down the citrus and funks and definitely brings out the yeast profile. Beautiful.

TASTE : Acidity is present, but backed up by a real freshness. Citrus and herbs are also present, but not so much as the nose seemed to announce. The wood that was present on the nose almost completely disappears once in the mouth.

MOUTHFEEL : Great carbonation, fine bubbles, more ample than champagne. You get the kind of earthy/dusty feeling so typical of the barnyard funk.

OVERALL : One of the best balanced gueuze I've had the pleasure of drinking. I'm aging a few of I have left, see what happens with this big boy in a few years' time. I'll probably chuck out another review. (1,186 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

750ml bottle pours a hazey orange. Couple cm of head which fades but leaves tiny bubbles floating on the surface. Musty faintly sour smell. Tastes exactly how it smells which is a good thing. I would prefer a little more but it has a nice sour flavor. Good enough to get my fix without spending a fortune. Overall a very refreshing brew for a 90 degree day laying in a hammock! (377 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle. Pours bubbly gold with thick white head. Smell is funk, lemon, yeast. Taste is sour/tart lemon, lime, dough. Champagne bubbles...cleans the palate. Goes down smooth. Quite refreshing. One of my first introductions to the style and I will definitely be back for more. (274 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance-Light-medium gold color. Pretty clear with a slight cloudiness to it. Small,thin head that lasts to the finish. Good looking beer.
Aroma-Some good funky notes of barnyard and horseblanket are in there with slight fruitiness in background. No hop to speak of.
Flavor-Acidic but not very acidic. I like my mouth to pucker just a little. Sourness up front but fades fast to a seltzery dry finish. Barnyard flavors also end quick. Background of rhubarb is evident. High carbonation. (489 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a tulip from a bottle dated July 2010.

A: A nice yellowish orange with a thin haze. A 3 finger, very light, yellowish head was produced that left way to a thin lace around the rim of the glass.

S: A mixture between sour apples and barn yard. Definitely an interesting smell.

T: Very tart and sour. Very good. Pick up hints of grass and apples along with a little lemon. The finish is slightly metal like/chemical, but not off putting.

M: Good carbonation and produces a nice tingle on the tongue.

O: A good beer. This is not something I could drink everyday, but definitely enjoy on occasion. (613 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottled on 08 Nov 2011, poured into a flute

A - Golden yellow. Pilsner-like but with more of a bright neon glow. Fluffy white head starts at 3 fingers, then reduces down to a lasting half finger with good uneven lacing. There is lots of carbonation.

S - I am first hit by a funk which brings to mind fireworks/gun powder, or something industrial (machines running, oil, burning rubber). Strangely, it's not at all bad! Soon hints of very sour fruit come into the mix.

T - I first notice the prickly, fluffy mouthfeel as the initial taste is subtle.On the back end is sour green apple candy and a spicy peppery dryness. As I continue to smell and taste, the industrial quality transforms into some earthy vegetables and black peppercorns.

O - My first gueze! I am a bit surprised that I found the sourness to be relatively subdued, but it really enhances the whole experience. This stuff is beyond complex - I will definitely be exploring the style further, and will pick up more of this one for sure! (1,004 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Totally flat, without any complexity. Sour and bitter, but that's all you can say of this gueuze. Anyway I will give it a second try, because I hope that maybe it was spoiled by bad storing. Bottled in 9/2013. Opened in 7/2015 (226 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 12 oz corked and capped bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a light-medium golden color, with a huge burst of carbonation that forms a very active head, eventually settling down to a thin ring.

The aroma on this beer is very sharp. Green apples permeate through a funky-yeast character. A malty-graininess also peeks its way through.

Crisp, sour, and funky are the three fire words when describing the flavor of this beer. Apples and pears dominate up front, but move aside to allow for that funkiness that I expect. The high carbonation allows for this beer to finish extremely dry, which matches the crisp flavors very well, and allows for high drinkability.

It's been a while since I've had a good gueuze, and this one didn't disappoint. (755 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +16.2%

This was recommended by other BA's as a good start for getting my taste buds wet for lambic beer. And I must say they were right on.

Good carbonation. Think white head that dissipates pretty fast. Just a touch of lacing but not much. Nice deep golden color to it. Smell has some spicy/clove-like aromas in it. Nice clean malt aroma and no sourness at all in the nose, which really shocked me for a lambic.

Taste: very well rounded and smooth. Man, this was not what I was expecting. I was expecting a mouth-puckering sour attack on my palate, but it's not the case at all. There is a touch of tartness to it but it's smooth. There is no vinegar flavor in this at all which makes it even more drinkable in my opinion. I was simply shocked by this beer. It's the best sour/lambic beer I've ever had. There is some earthy, herbal flavors in it but it's hard to pin down.

Very nice. If you've never had a lambic I would recommend this one to start with. It's simply great! (972 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a light orange color with great lacing.

Smells of pilsner malt and a barnyard. Very intriguing and complex. Light hints of what I think is lactic bacteria.

As for taste, wow, I was not expecting something so tart and sour. I was expecting more of the straight leather/horse traits, but this beer is highly acidic, almost like a cross between grapefruit juice and sour milk. I don't mean that in a bad way, though, as this beer is delicious.

Mouthfeel is thin with high carbonation.

It's definitely an interesting beer, and perhaps a good introduction to the world of sours, as it's not a vinegary as some. Caught me off guard at the beginning, but I began to really enjoy it as I went on. (698 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

750 caged and corked bottle poured into a sniffer. First beer I have ever used a corkscrew on. Pours a golden color with a hint of cloudiness which gives it a glowing quality up to the light. Very thin, wispy white head which retains and leaves a bit of lacing.

Smell is very heavy on the horse like funk. I prefer a more earthy fruity funk, so it's not quite my favorite. There is a bit of sour apple in the nose, but it's almost all horse.

taste leans more towards sour apple, and the funk takes a backseat. Lemon puckering sourness is also present.

Light on the tongue, with solid carbonation.

light on the booze and a solid taste makes for an enjoyable beer. Nice price on it as well. (693 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Pours a pale orange with crisp carbonation bubbles and a thin head that disappears very fast leaving a clean ring around the edge of my Duvel tulip.
S: Citrus, lemon zest and a very light barnyard funk come through on the nose.
T: very dry with crisp carbonation. Slightly tart with minimal what I would actually call "sour". Very well balanced citrus that comes through very dry.
M/D: a good zing on the tongue from carbonation that finishes smooth. I could drink this all day if I could afford the $10.00 price tag. Otherwise an awesome beer that is happily balanced and not fruity like the other typical Lindemans offerings. Next up Faro. (647 characters)

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans