Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
4.83/5  rDev +32.3%

poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass
A - beautiful dark amber, clear with small white head that stay for a little bit
S - mix of semi- sweet fruits and sour fruits
T - amazing, I had no idea what i was getting myself into, this tastes the farthest from any beer I have ever had, it tastes like a sour skittle almost, very good beer
M - smooth, a little thin, but great
O - this was my first faro, and my first lindemanns beer, it was absolutely excellent (458 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +31.5%

This was my first Faro so consider this review more of a review of the style as opposed to a review of the beer in comparison to others of the style.

I was impressed…big time.

I first found this beer at Chateau LaCour, a wonderful beer bar/reggae club high in the Massif Central on the border between Ardeche and Haute-Loire. I noticed that nearly half of the drunken French hillbillies in the place were downing the stuff so after a few bottles of Chimay Blue and Rocheforte 10, I ordered a 750 of Faro. It was served in the bottle sans glass. Everybody else was drinking it right out of the 750 so I didn’t think much of it. I just started downing it.

Instantly I was impressed by the big intense raspberry. This beer captures the essence of raspberry better than most. The fruit is just huge and the candied sugar makes it supremely drinkable. It was very similar to Lindeman’s Raspberry Lambic only much, much bigger and better. I followed up this first bottle with several other at home and in a glass.

Now I am generally not one to enjoy more than one fruit beer in a sitting but this one is exceptional. The fruits of this Faro are so big and the sugar and spice are so well balanced with the natural sourness of the lambic, I could sit and guzzle away at this one all night long. I loved it. I still love it and I’m desperate to get my hands on some in the states. (1,389 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +31.5%

If you are looking to try your first lambic or haven't had one in a while, this is a fantastic choice to seek out. I served this beer in a Lindemans flute I recently purchased. Upon pouring, there was a healthy amount of carbonation but not too much. Right off the bat I was able to pick up almost floral sweetness notes. The taste was very similar to the nose with a bit of tartness. This is a perfect Lambic to quench your thirst. The balance of sweetness and tartness reminds me of a good glass of lemonade. If you are looking for something different that is still very approachable, you should pick up a bottle or two of this. (630 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +31.5%

This is a totaly new style for me. This seems more like a cider or wine than beer! Especially, as there was cork under the wrap and cap!

Aroma was fruity like wine. Poured clear pale coppery with thin creamy beige head . Head short lived. Some lacing of glass. Taste is sweet, sweet, sweet! Liquid candied sweet potato! Slightly fizzy soda like feel and pleasant sweet aftertaste. Expensive, but worth it. (406 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +30.7%

I bought this bottle from Capone's Restaurant in Norristown, PA. I poured it into an oversized water glass
Appearance: The body is a clear reddish amber color. The head is a finger tall, dark beige, good retention, small bubbles, and thin pretty lacing.
Smell: The aromas are nutty, tart, and berries.
Taste: The flavors are raspberry, sweet tartness, and blackberries.
Mouthfeel: The body is thin and the finish is dry and clean.
Drinkability: This beer is stellar.
Don't drink and review. (490 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excited to see this at Vintage Estate. The employee who recommended it said it was his favorite beer.

Poured into a snifter: Cloudy, deep amber, like a golden-brown, with bright orange highlights & a thin ring of loose head with some web lacing. Very rich, nice color.

Smell is definitely wild: apple cider, mild vinegar, tart lemon, a tiny bit of cherry. Complex & inviting.

Whoa! I was not expecting all that sweetness, as there's next to none in the nose. Light tart cherry & green apple at the very beginning, quickly blanketed by a huge honey & candi sugar sweetness. The sour notes still linger around the sweet center & buoy it, & gain strength in the finish with cherry & apple skins & a slight dryness. Residual fruity sweetness & a touch of funk in the aftertaste. I love the back & forth act going on here, both interesting & delicious, like they took the sour fruitiness of a Flemish red & turned it inside-out.

Full-bodied, effervescent, tart without being really challenging. Makes me salivate -- a little viscous.

This is fascinating & combine so many great elements: the sweetness of a barley wine, but low ABV (a plus), with the sour of an Oud Bruin & the funk of a lambic. Maybe it's partly the novelty, but I was really into this. One is satisfying -- a great drinker, but I wouldn't want to spoil myself. I really hope they start distributing this closer to home soon. (1,393 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is kind of like an adult version of candy. It is very sweet but complex at the same time. The sweetness is very forward and it blends well together with sour tartness, woodiness, and maltiness. You definitely get that funky barrel smell and flavor just like all the other lindeman lambics. It is very worthy of trying and i recommend picking up a bottle ($7) if you can find it. Also, If you like this you might try the douchess de bourgogne. (452 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +26.6%

355ml green bottle purchased at McKinnon's in Salem. Pours a hazy copper to brown body with a fairly persistent inch of khaki-colored head. Sour apple jumps out of the aroma. Cortland and Granny Smith apple flesh and skin dominate the flavor, with some brown sugar and grape in the background. On the lighter side of medium-bodied with ample carbonation from bottle conditioning. Wow. I've never tried anything quite like this. It reminds me a lot of my favorite kinds of apples and it's very refreshing. Complex, sour, drinkable, awesome. (539 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Love it! Score another hit for the lambic crew for those of us just not into hops. The flavor is sweet yet tart, a combination of nectarine and pink grapefruit with a nice yeasty flavor lingering on the palate. It's crisp, well-carbonated, a beautiful dark golden color with an initial flourish of foam that rapidly subsides. Mouthfeel is substantial but not syrupy--you know it's there and you know it has been there but it doesn't coat one's tongue. This reminds me a bit of Piper champagne with a sugar cube and more fruitiness. (531 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +25.8%

Must confess my bias before reviewing this beer. Spent part of my formidable years in Belgium.

This beer certainly took me back.

The appearance is not all that special but the smell is delicious. Keep in mind that this is a dessert beer. (not the sand dune dessert but the sweet after dinner kind)

The taste has some sour notes that only serve to accent the sweet smell.

Mouthfeel is smooth as expected. A delicious beverage.

I expect my rating to be a little over the top. (478 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +25.2%

This was completely unexpected. With a nice pop from the cork this one pours similar to champagne. The glass is instantly filled with a golden liquid containing lots of bubbles. From smelling the cork I was expecting a rather pungent sharp taste. The aroma given off by this brew is heavenly. It's sweet, it's sour, almost different each time. The taste is spectacular a tart, tangy but fruity start with a sweet bordering on candy finish. The presence of that candy sugar is very noticeable but does not upset a near perfect balance of sweet and sour. (552 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +24.7%

This is a great everyday sour beer, especially because of the price! It kind of reminds me of the Dechutes Dissident but lower in ABV and not quite as fruity but a great alternative. Definitely has some fruity aromas and flavors but it also has some spicy malts. (262 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +24.4%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass; extremely light fruity flavor, tart and acidic with a clean finish. Very similar to other Flemish beers, but w/ an added sweetness (no doubt from the Belgian candi sugar) that almost completely masks the alcohol bite. (254 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +23.8%

poured into duvel tulip

A: pours a deep reddish amber, with a thin half finger white head that fell to a thin layer.
S: dry sour sweet, a bit of funky barnyard and plastic aroma. this funk is growing on me.
T: a great balance between an almost lemon like sourness and a sweet toasted sugar sweetness, but it leans more toward sour. also a bit of band-aid from the brett.
M: light and quite crisp. semi-high carbonation
D: very drinkable, wish this were two things, cheaper and easier to find! (496 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a seasonal treat at Cafe Bruges in Carlisle, PA, delivered to me on tap. It had a lustrous dark red color, with a decent fluffy yellowish head (at least in the light I had) and nice lacing. Aroma is of berries and apple, almost like a root cellar smell after harvest. The taste is decidedly tart, with a mix of apple and berry that stings the tongue at the back. I detect an almost medicinal taste to it, but not syrupy. The mouthfeel is definitely carbonated, but not fizzy. I like the tartness on the tongue that lingers afterward. I am liking this Faro Lambic very much, and will try to get my hands on more in the near future. (646 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +22.5%

Tasted On: 10-27-2012
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. green bottle, corked with pry-cap covered in foil
Glassware: Chalice
Purchased: Single from Argonaut Liquors, Denver

Pours a clear, dark amber color initially, with the second pour yielding some sediment and cloudiness. The modest white head has low retention but leaves a nice amount of lacing.

Aromas are very curious, funky and different. Smells of wine and grapes, which gives it a dry aroma, but also has a sweetness as of candied fruits. Also has the aroma of a beer aged on wood.

The taste is equally complex and is both sweet and sour. Flavors are rich, with a tart, citrus character as well as a hefty level of sweetness and a woody/oak component. Carbonation is high on this full-bodied beer. The finish is again sweet and sour, like in sour candies.

I can't say I've had anything quite like this Faro before. It's a highly enjoyable, curious mixture of smells and tastes. I really enjoyed it and would love to have more! (1,000 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +21.4%

A - light caramel in color, resembling cream soda, two fingers of frothy white head, fed by steady swift carbonation

S - sour aromas dominate, mostly apple, grapes, and bosc pears, a dry champagne overall quality

T - holy jumpin'! I was totally prepared for a sour beer. This is my first Faro as they arent easy to find and it is not what I expected. Sweetness hit my unexpecting lips and I immediately knew I would like this beer. Luscious fruits abound, sweet green apples, ripe but not overripe pears, asian pears come to mind. Dry muscat-esque champagne grapes are included.

M&D - a contradictory beer, both dry and juicy on the tongue, sweetness in spades, light and effervescent, very easy to drink, a good introduction to a new Belgian style (752 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

My very first Faro--yep, no longer a Farovirgin. Glad I didn't save myself for something better, because I'm not sure that anything better exists. This beer was exquisit. Starting with the very soured belgian lambics that I usually find dificult to tolerate, but blended with a huge dose of candy sugars. The beer started out with a mead-like sweetness, but quickly followed up with an intense tartness that reached astringent levels. A earthy, musky, cellar-like quality swirled around in the aromas and flavors. Tasted and felt wood-like and sweettart-like. Thin feeling, but richer than the standard lambics. Finished quite dry and sweet. Approaches wine character. With all that said, it was a fantastic beer...I need a moist towelette. Thanks Clvand0. (756 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Date Rated: Feb. 3, 2013...
Glassware: Lindemans flute...
Occasion: Super Bowl Sunday--lose Baltimore!...
Appearance: dark copper body with a bright, white, thin hazy head; sediment flecks dance amidst fervent effervescence...
Aroma: flat, funky, punchy pungency; dryish as a wine, buts its wheat keeps the profile in the beer realm...
Palate: medium-bodied and fizzy; willpower must be invoked to keep from slamming the flute's contents...
Taste: sour and tart, as expected--not too puckerish; fruity and rewarding in its full flavor profile...
Overall: Part Super Bowl high, part beer-buying-binge-booty mood, my state of mind may have something to do with enjoying this beer and its style, which I haven't sprung for in a while; at $6 a bottle, pricey but provides a worthwhile experience... (794 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Date:7/28/14
Location: Half Time Mamaroneck
Glassware: Tulip

Appearance: Amber to light brown in color with an off white to tan well carbonated head. The beer itself is very clear when held to the light. There are some large yeast flakes inside the bottle. Average retention. Decent cling.
Aroma: Sweet in aroma with a syrupy cherry smell. Candied sugars. No hop presence.
Taste: Again the flavors are very sweet from the candied sugars. More fruits announce themselves in the flavor like plums, grapes and a very light cherry. There might be the slightest hint of hop bitterness in the back but it's hardly noticeable. The cherries linger in the end.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel shines. It's a very luscious syrupy flavor that coats the tongue and cheek. Medium body and medium to medium high carbonation hits my throat and tongue.

Notes: Capped and Corked. (860 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a very nice dark orange-copper color with some decent initial head and some very nice lacing. Very sweet scent, wheat malt with some candy sugar to it, along with a very slight spice that I can't place (pepper, coriander, ???). Great taste, excellent sweet beer with great malt, wheat, and sugar attributes, with just enough hops at the end to keep it from being overly unbalanced; again, a slight spiciness that's just at the edge of my tongue that I can't place. It goes down very smoothly. This would be a great beer for a wine drinker. (545 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A golden orange body, lot's of carbonation and a fluffy off-white head. Smells and tastes of a brown sugar sweetness, slightly dour and funky. Tons of carbonation and a very light, yet silky mouthfeel. Good sour for beginners and highly session-able. (250 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +19.7%

Thanks to msubulldog25 for providing me with my first-ever Faro. He is what they call "the man."

Pours a bronzed brown color, leaning toward mahogany. Not much head but a ton of bubbles. It's rolling around like champagne in there.

The aroma is entrancing, having a tart snap like a gueuze, a bold fruitiness that's equally sour and sweet, moldy wood, and that wonderful/unique yeastiness typical of a lambic. All of it is blended really well, balanced...welcoming...making my mouth water for the first sip.

Flavor offers sour cherry, green apple, sugar, the slightest hint of wood, and more fruit tartness. It's pretty simple actually, an excellent balancing act between sweet and sour/tart. It's really the mouthfeel that makes this a total success and an extremely enjoyable experience. The carbonation is seemingly made of insanely tiny bubbles, which explode in the mouth without any sort of harshness, rather rolling over the tongue like caviar or melted ice cream with a dash of 7-Up in it. It's slick, slippery, creamy, bright, everything good and nothing bad. Wow!

At 4.2% and with the big sweetness impressively balanced and kept in control, not to mention the fantastic texture, this was a completely great way to be introduced to the Faro. Very, very nice. (1,272 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Arrives the color of dark maple with no head, just faintest of rings and that was gone soon enough.
Smell is intriguing, notes of malt, sweetness and a sour hint.
Taste is really nice. Sweet and sour, malty with notes of apple and raspberries. Very good balance and more complex than I was expecting.
Good stuff. Medium full body, extremely light effervescence. A little cloying. With a bit more effervescence, this would be 5's in several areas. I actually prefer this to the Framboise. Its more like a sweeter version of a Flanders Red, a style I really enjoy a lot. (569 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

A: Medium amber, beautifully clear, and nice tan head, though it dissipates to a ring fairly quickly.

S: Definitely a good sour smell coming through. There is a nice little bit of sweetness in there as well. Raisons and caramel perhaps.. Seems nice.

T: Sweet and tart at the same time. The sweetness reminds me of eating crystalized rock candy as a kid. This is a lovely blend of acid sweetness, tart flavors, and a touch of sour funk.

M: Light in body, fairly high carbonation, and an almost acidic feel.

D: Damn tasty. This might be one of my favorite wild ales that I have had so far, I really enjoy the balance between sour and sweet. (646 characters)

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans