Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Faro |  4.20% ABV

ABV varies slightly

(Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002)
Marc33

Zbeetleman

07-06-2013 04:34:49 | More by Zbeetleman
Overlord

1.25/5  rDev -65.7%

I got this primarily to finally try a Faro. And that's what I did! I have nothing else good to say about it!

Pours a ... you know what, let's get right down to it, Sometimes, you gotta give people the bad news with no preamble.

This is pure piss-awful. Jesus H. Christ. A horrible surgar-y cereal graininess lingers as one experiences Belgian candi gone amuck. Sour? I don't know, there's a bit of musty rancid-ness on the aftertaste, but the horrible sweetness obliterates all. At least with Lindemans' fruit offerings, you can say: "well, I knew I was getting raspberry syrup." There's absolutely no warning with this foul smelling, over-sweetened mess.

AYAIYAYAYAYHYAIYAYAA

10-23-2010 08:36:13 | More by Overlord
nineworldseries

07-29-2013 02:46:07 | More by nineworldseries
nrbw23

1.35/5  rDev -62.9%

A- Pours a murky redddish brown color with a thin whiteish colored head. Head is pretty small, has little retention and no lacing is left behind.

S- Picking up a bit of wood, funkiness, barnyard and sour apples.

T- Is pretty horrific. Quite a bit of funkiness and tart. Sour apples and vinegar everywhere. A bit of sweetness at the finish.

M- Fairly light in body and carbonation was pretty nice.

O- Ok looks like I knocked off the Faro style is about the only good thing I can say.

11-24-2011 19:15:01 | More by nrbw23
twelvsies

Maine

1.6/5  rDev -56%

I really wanted to like this beer, I really did. I'm not a fan of Lindeman's other lambics - too artificial and sugary sweet. I'd never had a faro, so I was excited. I thought this would be a little different. It is, but in a bad way. Popped the cork and poured very dingy and brownish into a lambic glass but with some nice reddish highlights. Not much head, as per the style. I almost didn't even want to take a sip after the first whiff. I can only compare it to a bowl of dog food that ol' Rufus spilled his water into and sat there for a few days. Moldy, soggy, dog food. Oh and a sweet sugaryness. Taste wasn't nearly so bad but not really good enough to redeem the beer. Just too sickly sweet, I can't do it. I need to try another faro now to see what's up for real with this style. Viscous chewy clumsy mouthfeel. Yuk. I wish I could be a little more positive but this was just pretty awful. Sorry Lindeman's. First drain pour in about 5 years. Too bad.

05-08-2009 16:16:40 | More by twelvsies
DefenCorps

Oregon

1.78/5  rDev -51.1%

I grabbed this at State Line yesterday. While this is the second faro I've had (the other being the Chapeau faro), this is the first I get to tick.

Clear amber with a dense, white head that settles into a thin cap, leaving some lace, this beer looks good. The nose belies this beers lambic base. A mild musty funk and woody aroma are immediately noticeable, but as this warms up, I do get a rather noticeable sweetness. Sugary and rather intense, like cake frosting, this aspect isn't particularly enjoyable. It is, however, better than the taste. Wretched candy sweetness, this tastes like sugar water. The sourness and funk are completely overwhelmed here, this is like cheap store brand soda with an artificial fruit and sugary sweetness and the carbonation lending a refreshing finale to this beer. I really don't get much flavor here, this is just rather wretched. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, this is sweet on the finish with a blend of regular and brown sugar. Avoid.

12-14-2010 01:10:50 | More by DefenCorps
BeerBelcher

1.8/5  rDev -50.5%

I like lambics. Earthy, funky, sour, weird...these are positive descriptors in my book when it comes to beer. I've visited Cantilon and really enjoyed the beers I tried there. But I did not like this beer one bit. It was sickeningly sweet and definitely gave me the impression that it wasn't done baking yet.

I should mention that this is my first Faro...in fact I think this is the last beer style on this site that I haven't tried. When I visited the Cantillon tasting room, I asked if they had any Faro available for tasting, and the lady behind the bar explained to me in broken English that Faro was not highly thought of...like it was a "low" style of lambic. And after having taste this beer, compared to the gueuze that I've had, this beer seems not very complex...instead it is sickeningly sweet, cereal-y, and unpleasantly astringent. This beer was dark and far maltier than I expected. Imagine a way too grainy beer, with a ton of some sort of sweeter-than-sugar artificial sweetener added. It also had a weird skunk smell when I first opened it, which dissipated after a few minutes.

I diidn't like it...and wouldn't recommend it to others. I bought this bottle at the Winerak in Zanesville, OH.

06-13-2009 01:04:36 | More by BeerBelcher
ChadQuest

1.93/5  rDev -47%

Not much if any head or lacing, it just isn't there. Clear with no haze. light mango color.
Smell is somewhat funky with an under attenuated sweetness, but i guess that is how this style is made, with loads of sugar.
This one doesn't strike a good chord with me. One of the first things it made me think of is a sour apple cider, it reminds me of this alot of ways, because the sugary base sticks to your mouth like apple cider, and because of the acidity. one of the big things i like about wilds is the dryness, not here, at all.

06-03-2011 04:28:43 | More by ChadQuest

MarkoNm

Slovenia

2.03/5  rDev -44.2%

This is one weird beer.
It has a slightly hazy red color and a semi-large but quickly disappearing head. There is also high carbonation present. The aroma is sweet and citrusy with some hops noticeable. Nothing bad yet. So, now the taste. I didn't know whether it's a cider, freshly made wine, or a homemade bear gone bad. It's sweet and really sour at the same time, plus there is too much carbonation here. Not the best combo really.

11-21-2013 16:49:06 | More by MarkoNm
Scotchboy

Idaho

2.13/5  rDev -41.5%

Capped & corked bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Pours an attractive bronze color with traces of turbidity and a small white head dissipates relatively quickly, leaving behind minimal lace.

S: Interesting nose...upfront its a BO-like funk, faint apple cider vinegar, hints of tartness, Brett, and even cherry?

T: Strange stuff...immediately you taste a lactic sourness but its instantly overwhelmed by a malty, sugary sweetness...hints of wheaty malt, finish is really odd and off-putting as the Brett return with funk and mixes with the candi sugar. Blech.

MF: Moderate body, with a bit of dryness, lower carbonation.

O: Just too funky and weird with the sugary sweetness. Ugh.

04-11-2012 14:30:10 | More by Scotchboy
Bendurgin

Maine

2.15/5  rDev -40.9%

Poured this into a tulip. The pour gives a clear clean looking honey color with a big quickly reducing white head with runny lace. The smell is tart like apples with a bit of cedar. A little bit of candied sweetness in the nose also. Holy sweet! The pallet is toned down from from any tartness found in the aroma and it becomes a very sweet. The taste reminds me of white grape juice. It's actually really tough for me to come up with anything else on this. The mouthfeel isn't offensive, it's kind of syrupy but it's not bad.

Honestly, I do not enjoy this beer. That being said it is the first of it's style I've had. Maybe it's not for me but I'm pouring this out. I just can't drink it. The smell was nice but I really don't like the taste. I was still expecting a bit of sourness with me sweet.

11-27-2010 04:48:44 | More by Bendurgin
PEBKAC

2.2/5  rDev -39.6%

$5.50 bottle from Whole Foods. I'll save that Chapeau for when I'm feeling really low.

Odd brew code on the bottom right of the label: L F04JFA. Cork slid out just using my fingers. Caught that cork sleeping. :) As a side note, this little bottle seems to weigh in at a solid pound while empty.

Ommegang Anniversary glass. Couple inches of flimsy off white/slightly tan head. Body is a clear(though dull), iced tea color.

Smells like a mix of stale sweat & Gouda. Follow through is composed of dry/sticky beer residue, lemon-lime soda, & raisins.

Taste upfront is sweet tea & cheap balsamic. Middle turns into Lindeman's kriek(cherry juice with a buzzing medicinal quality). Moderately bitter herbals near the end, aged hops(?) finish more like orange laced tobacco.

Feel is syrupy, & only broken up by the slightly less biting acidity. My tongue feels tingly & irritated like I just ate a pesticide loaded peach & cut my tongue on the pit.

I could of been half way into a sixer of Yuengling with that money. :|

06-15-2011 07:54:28 | More by PEBKAC
ArrogantB

Colorado

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

375ml bottle $6. This looked a little bit like cuvee rene in the glass but darker. The smell was odd, not what I would expect from lambic, sweet but almost artificially sweet. Same for the taste, just too damned sweet with no funk or sour. I have no clue why they would send this as opposed to the Cuvee Rene Kriek.

07-10-2010 20:53:23 | More by ArrogantB
lbainivalu

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

07-20-2014 01:51:10 | More by lbainivalu
Dukeofearl

2.33/5  rDev -36%

25 cl bottle tasted in the hotel room on my wife and my recent trip to Belgium and the Netherlands. 2.50 euros at a local souvenier/beer store in Brussels, near the Mannekin Pis.

Color- a moderately clear amber-brown with no head or carbonation whatsoever. Aroma is of a basic sour lambic, nothing special, but it did get me interested and excited for something good. The aroma isn't nearly as full and rich and sour as the Oud Beersel Geuze earlier in the day, but oh, well. The flavor is sugar. And sugar. And sugar. And then underneath, some oud bruin/flemish red sourness- not lambic sour, but something else. Keeps it from being awful, but that's not saying much.

This is my first of the style, so I can't compare it to much, but if this is typical, no thanks.

05-09-2007 00:38:14 | More by Dukeofearl