Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Faro |  4.20% ABV

ABV varies slightly

(Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
LeeryLeprechaun

Colorado

2.79/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The beer is dark orange in color with a small white head, slightly cloudy in color.

The smell is of brown sugar water, a little earthy. Not too pleasant.

Taste is very very sweet, almost like syrup. Notes of fruit and green or candied apple. Very powerful and bad aftertaste.

Probably medium in body but the sugar makes it very cloying.

This beer was not good. Maybe it is good for the style but it was not enjoyable to drink.

03-21-2013 22:26:26 | More by LeeryLeprechaun
womencantsail

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this. One of those obscure styles that I've been looking to try.

A: The pour is a clear amber color with an intense levely of carbonation but surprisingly little in terms of head.

S: The nose is very musty with some odd notes of cork and bread. There is quite a bit of sugary sweetness as well, but I expected that.

T: Wow, I was really surprised by the flavor of this. The intense sweetness was the first thing I noticed as this beer is very sugary. There's also a hint of fruit and for some reason, a bile note on the back end.

M: The body was medium with a very high level of carbonation and despite being sweetened, still has a certain level of dryness.

D: This beer is really all over the place. I was not at all surprised by the intense sugary character, but the vomit flavor really seemed out of place.

03-11-2010 22:35:19 | More by womencantsail
auroracrisis

Kentucky

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

I've been very interested in trying a Faro lately. Unfortunately, this is the best I can do. Poured from a 355ml into a Russian River tulip.

Pours an amber color with a head that dissipates quickly into a ring of foam around the edges of the glass.

The smell is sweet, like caramel. Pretty similar to Coca Cola but with a subtle tarter, citrus zest behind the sweetness. Not really complex at all.

Tastes is somewhat similar to the smell but with more sweetness and no real apparent tartness or zest. The candy sweetness coats your tongue and it's hard to really taste anything else in the beer. The flavor sort of reminds me of apple juice.

Mouthfeel is medium with a slight amount of carbonation, almost still.

Overall, I would say that I am not impressed and don't think I'll be buying this ever again. I was just curious of the style and wanted to try it. I'm sure that a Faro could be delicious if done correctly, but this beer is just way too sweet.

05-24-2011 03:01:05 | More by auroracrisis
DIM

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

a: This was a light, cola brown and it poured with a small, wispy head.

s: This is an interesting clash of sweet, candi-sugar marshmallow sweetness and lightly funky, prickly apples.

t: The taste clashes as well, but its more off-putting than interesting. The sweet elements are much stronger than funky ones. It starts off with something I want to call marshmallow plus a pretty healthy dose of artificial sweetener. There is some green apple funk towards the end, but it doesn't take over. The funk that was there brought Flander's to mind rather than a lambic.

m: The light carbonation coupled with the sweetness makes this feel kind of heavy overall.

o: While I'd welcome a chance to try another example of the style, I don't think Faros are for me. The sweet/funky ratio was way out of whack here.

07-15-2011 09:52:24 | More by DIM
DrDoitchbig

2.83/5  rDev -22%

It's been quite some time since I reviewed a beer. But I figured I'd make a run at it with this bizarre style. Who knows maybe I'll get back in the grove and start doing this on a more regular basis.

Appearance: I went with an aggressive pour assuming that head retention would not be a strong suit. I was correct in this assumption. The head started off at about 1 and 1/2 fingers but quickly receded to a thin cap. It still managed to leave a few swipes of lacing with the first few swigs. The beer itself is a moderately hazy reddish amber color with ginger ale colored edges when held to the light.

Smell: I can tell right off the bat this is going to be an interesting experience. The first thing that comes to mind is tart lemon rind which mixes fairly well with the sweetness from the candi sugar. The wild card is the dusting of funkiness that vaguely reminds of a strong cheese. It's not off putting per se just a bit awkward.

Taste: Wow, much sweeter than the smell would lead you to believe. It's an artificial sweetness that reminds me of saccharine. In fact the beer as a whole kind of reminds me of a glass of iced tea that someone dumped one too many Sweet'n Lows into and then squeezed in a lemon. The only difference being the kick of sour and the funk. I realize this may be close to the intended style, but the sweetness is just too overbearing and fake.

Mouthfeel: Nothing remarkable, but it's fairly good for the style. The body is fairly light, while the carbonation is sprightly but not overbearing.

Drinkability: At some point in time I'd like to try a different Faro though I realize the chances of this are slim to none. I just wonder if Lindemans did some artificial sweetening as well as the candied sugar. After all they do it with their standard series of lambics so it certainly isn't out of the question. Also for reference I have had a few of their fruit lambics and this is far sweeter than any of them. It's just too much.

09-22-2010 04:28:45 | More by DrDoitchbig
warmstorage

2.83/5  rDev -22%

33cl bottle, corked and capped, from one of hundreds of bottle shops in Brussels. Poured into wide-mouthed wine glass in the hotel room.

Deep copper to light brown, hazy, opaque, almost dirty looking, light head, no lacing.

Smell: sweet and tangy, a little sour.

Taste: sweet, tangy, just barely hints at the funk of lambic, the added sugar overpowers it. Some slight soury tang, cork, leather.

Mouth: thick and viscous and full, almost unpleasantly so.

Drinkability: eh. It's something I could sit and drink a couple of, but it's so underwhelming, why would I want to? Just a mediocre offering from a place that brewery mastered transatlantic marketing. Fortunately, this one isn't yet suckering people into paying $10 for it in the states. (It's about 1 euro in most Belgian supermarkets.)

04-12-2007 03:43:23 | More by warmstorage
drtth

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. Code on Bottle: H10JFA

Appearance: As poured the beer is very lightly hazed deep russet, almost brown, color with a ½" eggshell white head that leaves some lacing as it slowly recedes to a ring and an island of foam. The ring persists for most all of the beer and sipping continues to leave lots of scattered large speckles of lacing.

Smell: Upon opening there is a distinct set of aromas that tell me this beer is different from most I've had. There is some vinegar like character that a bit like that of sour apples tinged with a bit of sour cherry. It also has a slightly musky character and all of this is softened by something like the aroma of white syrup.

Taste: The flavors are pretty much predicted from the nose, except that the sweetness comes through much more strongly than expected. There is some underlying tartness and sourness that is barely let through to show by the sweetness. The flavors remind me of tart apples mixed with sour cherries and then blended with lots of sweet syrup. (From reading the style description that is role the sugar syrup is supposed to play, however, the taste of the artificial sweetner in here is mildly unpleasant to me).

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is crisp and medium bodied with light but persistent carbonation. The finish is moderately long with the sweetness taking a long time to eventually fade away into a dry sour cherry flavor. Meanwhile in the background is the somewhat bothersome contribution from the artificial sweetner.

Drinkability: This is both my first Faro and my first Lambic. It seemed a good way to ease into the style and while my experience is limited so far I already know that I can enjoy tart sourness in a beer. On the whole I found this a beer for slow sipping, but at times I confess I also found the sweetness a bit much, partly because I'm a taster for artificial sweetners. And so, as with many introductions, now that I've had this one I'll not be returning often to this particular beer or style of Lambic very often except to sample someone else's version of a Faro to see if I like it a bit better. (Also to be fair this seems to be intended as a dessert beer, which is not how I drank it.)

01-22-2011 01:48:31 | More by drtth
Cresant

Kentucky

2.9/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured this 355 mL green bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Coded: LJ27HFA. The body was amber-gold and fairly clear of sediment, head was off-white. A ring of sediment remained in the bottle.

Smell was the expected damp basement aroma. I hate to say it but upon a deep inhale a vomit smell was revealed, ick. Thankfully this was not the predominant aroma.

Taste was sweet, wow! Syrupy on the lips with a tart finish. Green apple pulp.

Mouthfeel was silky smooth with a medium body. Adequate carbonation and a bit syrupy. This was my first faro, I see that I prefer lambics.

10-26-2009 13:12:11 | More by Cresant
errantnight

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

For all the talk I'd heard about this being extremely lowly carbonated, mine poured a nice finger and a half into a rich golden brown, slightly hazy. Head dissipates rapidly with minimal lacing but surprising retention. Nice glow to it.

Aroma is rich and complex, with funky barnyard notes against a variety of bready sugary tones. Slightly musty and apricoty.

The taste is unfortunately staggeringly sweet at first, a light golden brown sugar that overwhelms practically everything. The finish has a slight sour twang to it and a bit of a rusty bitter note, so it's not overpoweringly cloying on the back end, which is really all that keeps this drinkable.

Mouth is fine... holds up well, medium to light body. Sticks a bit long on the tongue.

About halfway through the sweetness, since it's not cloying, is something you adapt to. It doesn't build on itself. That said, it's not something I'd reach for again.

04-13-2009 02:06:49 | More by errantnight
wedgie9

Tennessee

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

Tasted from bottle at Lush Roscoe. Pours dark, sparkling amber with a large white head that quickly recedes to lace. The aroma is slightly sour with a sweet note, a hint of red wine vinegar, and a vegetal quality as well. The flavors are slightly sweet and sour with red wine vinegar and some fruitiness. Body is medium with sparkling carbonation and a medium malty and tart finish.

08-22-2010 18:29:09 | More by wedgie9
ithacabaron

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a healthy ruddy hue, capped with a respectable cherry blossom-colored head. Cute.

Smell is various fruit esters, vanilla yogurt, and pancake syrup (not maple syrup), with just a little funkiness -- but even that's more of a mustiness, an old chalkboard kind of vibe.

Taste is very one-dimentional, reeking of candi-sugar and immature sweetness, with just a splash of authentic lambic character, which emerges in a soft crab-apple finish.. Sort of like old vanilla soda that had an ounce of Cantillon spilled into it by mistake, and maybe not even that much. Very disappointing.

Mouthfeel is fine, but not going to be the saving grace of this one at this point.

Drinkability is not great. One bottle was worth the try, but there's no way I can see myself buying another (even though sightings of it are rare to begin with.)

A wimpy lambic. No mas, senor.

12-07-2004 15:35:47 | More by ithacabaron
claspada

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours a brownish gunky/yeasty brown. A bunch of floaties throughout which I do not appreciate, especially because I poured carefully and slow.
Aromas of subtle funky yeast, sour apple and pear. As it becomes a little warmer you get some candied apple and powdered sugar smells.
The tastes begins with sweet candy and lesser apple and even lesser pear notes. Tastes like a green apple cider that someone added a few tablespoons of honey to; not too exciting or palatable unless you are in the mood for an extremely sweet syrupy juice. It is not that sour or funky, not much yeast flavor to be found.
The mouthfeel is medium-to-thin bodied with a fairly low amount of carbonation. Doesn't help the overly sweet character of this beer. Too much sweet candy/sugary flavors leave this with a fuller finish, not as dry as I would prefer for this style.
Overall, I'm still fairly new to appreciating and enjoying sour beers but even I know this is a miss. Not sure what exactly a Faro is supposed to taste like because this is my first, but as an avid beer drinker I know what is good/great/bad and this is definitely blah...

06-11-2011 20:43:23 | More by claspada
jjanega08

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%

No freshness dating. Bottle stamped with
L C09JFA

A= Pours a nice deep amber color with a small white head that falls somewhat fast. Actually the head holds on for longer than I would have thought by the way it looks. The lacing is spotty at best.

S= The smell is a nice slightly sour slightly malty funshow. There is a little funky and maybe a little wood coming from it. Classic "horseblanket" barnyard aroma.

T= The flavor is very unique. Much sweeter than the aroma led me onto. A mix of sweet and a slight sourness. The sourness is a nice lactic sourness and a touch of woodiness. I have to say that there is a strange medicinal flavor to it that I don't enjoy as much. It seems overly sweet. Not in the way other Lindeman's beers are. Those are fruit juice sweet this actually has a sour component to it but there is an overbearing sort of straight sugar water sweetness. The finish is different. It's really weird.

M= A little more carbonation would be nice.

O= This is one of the stranger beers I've had. Lindeman's lambics are usually like fruit juice and overly sweetened but still incredibly drinkable. This is actually a little sour which I don't get from their beers except the gueze. The sweetness is overdone here. It has a straight sugar taste. Unfermented raw sugar. I dunno if its to faro style but this sweetness is almost undrinkable.

05-12-2012 21:04:30 | More by jjanega08