Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Faro |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

Not a bad look to this beer at all. Reddish-orange with a bit of a chill haze that goes away as the beer warms...wel, duh...allowing you to watch the carbonation that built a 1/4" head that doesn't last long before it gives way to a top film.

The smell is the star of this beer, letting you know that this is a lambic and you should be ready for some sour taste notes. Sour fruit (maybe apple) and a perceptible floral back tone make you want to get to that first sip.

This is my first faro and I had not read the standard for the style and wound up surprised at how sweet this beer is. It was as if someone took a lambic and poured some sugar into it. Well, that's almost exactly what it is. The sweetness really knocks down the sour, but the fruits (now I get apple/raspberry) become a little more clear.

Medium body and crisp, but there is a slight "oiliness" on the tongue that I'm not enjoying. It makes me wonder if the sugars made it a bit syrupy. The body may have been lighter without this.

They sugar these beers to make them more approachable and sweeter, but for whom? Certainly not me. This is too sweet for me and even for my wife who prefers a sweeter brew. Yes, it's easy to drink for then first few sips, but then becomes cloying. This is definitely the white zinfandel of beer.

This was my first faro, but may not be my last if I can find one from Cantillon or Boon. Hopefully they're a little more even-handed with the sugar.

2.2/5  rDev -39.6%

$5.50 bottle from Whole Foods. I'll save that Chapeau for when I'm feeling really low.

Odd brew code on the bottom right of the label: L F04JFA. Cork slid out just using my fingers. Caught that cork sleeping. :) As a side note, this little bottle seems to weigh in at a solid pound while empty.

Ommegang Anniversary glass. Couple inches of flimsy off white/slightly tan head. Body is a clear(though dull), iced tea color.

Smells like a mix of stale sweat & Gouda. Follow through is composed of dry/sticky beer residue, lemon-lime soda, & raisins.

Taste upfront is sweet tea & cheap balsamic. Middle turns into Lindeman's kriek(cherry juice with a buzzing medicinal quality). Moderately bitter herbals near the end, aged hops(?) finish more like orange laced tobacco.

Feel is syrupy, & only broken up by the slightly less biting acidity. My tongue feels tingly & irritated like I just ate a pesticide loaded peach & cut my tongue on the pit.

I could of been half way into a sixer of Yuengling with that money. :|

1.93/5  rDev -47%

Not much if any head or lacing, it just isn't there. Clear with no haze. light mango color.
Smell is somewhat funky with an under attenuated sweetness, but i guess that is how this style is made, with loads of sugar.
This one doesn't strike a good chord with me. One of the first things it made me think of is a sour apple cider, it reminds me of this alot of ways, because the sugary base sticks to your mouth like apple cider, and because of the acidity. one of the big things i like about wilds is the dryness, not here, at all.

1.25/5  rDev -65.7%

3.53/5  rDev -3%

12oz. corked and capped bottle served in a Tank 7 tulip. Bottle conditioned. Poured a dark copper with a finger of off white head. Fruity aroma with some dark sugar. On the sweet side. More fruit, cherries. Light bodied with plenty of carbonation. As it warmed, I got a hint of something like vomit in the aroma, which obviously was not pleasant. Beer is very drinkable none the less. Definitely on the sweet side. Would make a good dessert on its own.

1.6/5  rDev -56%

I really wanted to like this beer, I really did. I'm not a fan of Lindeman's other lambics - too artificial and sugary sweet. I'd never had a faro, so I was excited. I thought this would be a little different. It is, but in a bad way. Popped the cork and poured very dingy and brownish into a lambic glass but with some nice reddish highlights. Not much head, as per the style. I almost didn't even want to take a sip after the first whiff. I can only compare it to a bowl of dog food that ol' Rufus spilled his water into and sat there for a few days. Moldy, soggy, dog food. Oh and a sweet sugaryness. Taste wasn't nearly so bad but not really good enough to redeem the beer. Just too sickly sweet, I can't do it. I need to try another faro now to see what's up for real with this style. Viscous chewy clumsy mouthfeel. Yuk. I wish I could be a little more positive but this was just pretty awful. Sorry Lindeman's. First drain pour in about 5 years. Too bad.

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a murky ruddy brown with off-white head that fades. Nose is pretty good with some nice tart and funky notes, some lemon as well. Taste, however, falls a little flat. It tastes pretty much exactly like the description of a faro--a geueze with sugar added. It's sweet, has lemon and malty notes, as well as an almost tea-like note. Moderate mouthfeel, decent drinkability. OK, though not something I will revisit.

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Lindemans Faro

Appearance: hazy light brown, very small head, and some good lacing.

Smell: yeast, sourness, and spices.

Taste: candi sugar sweetness, faint sourness, and a fruit tartness.

Mouthfeel: medium.

Overall:
This is a unique brew. The candi sugar sweetness mixed with the sourness is very interesting.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

pours the color of a light scotch with a frothy two-finger-plus head that recedes quickly and leaves gobs of lace.

aroma of honey, pear, caramel. burnt sugar, tart apples, a good bit of yeasty bready funk. toffee and toasted raisins. tart plums.

taste is complexly tart and sweet. overly sweet. honey, clove, rotting apple, fermenting fruit. a good bit of funk, with a solid and pleasant green apple tartness that is just slightly over-balanced by the candi sugar sweetness that comes across as some funky wildflower honey. Not bad... but slightly over-sweetened.

mouth is moderate, slightly slick and slightly syrupy. ample carbonation is fine and pleasant. works well.

all in all, an interesting beer that is obviously leaps and bounds from some of the other Lindemans. at the price point, there are other sours I'd much prefer, as the candi sugar seems to muddy up the clean tartness that lies underneath. Might hit the spot if I was in the right mood.

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%

12 oz corked and capped bottle. $26 at The Brick Store Pub. Served in a Lindemans flute.

A: It pours a boring light brown color with a quickly rising and falling head of white. What head that existed is long gone after a few seconds and there is no real lacing afterwards.

S: Somehow, this combination of funky sourness and brown sugar reminds me of vomit. Perhaps I'm the only one but the smell just makes me think of praying to the porcelain gods.

T: The taste is considerably better than the smell; it features a delicious blend of sweet and sour pears, peaches, and green apples with brown sugar. It comes across as a very sweet beer that leans more towards the brown sugar.

M: The body is medium-light but a bit oily with low carbonation.

O: I can really see how this would be a tasty beer style but this is a bit too sweet.

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

355ml bottle into tulip

A: Hazy red body, with a shallow off white head. Very little lacing. Low level of carbonation.

S: Subtle sour sweetness, with a bit of a low intensity in the overall character. Hints at grapes and cane sugar.

T/M: A nice creamy mouthfeel, that holds good amounts of candy sweetness. Sourness is not very profound, Dry and acidic flavor on the finish. Mouthfeel is left with a liquid candi coating. Sparkling, white wine and champagne flavors.

O: Overall this is a good and drinkable lambic, but high levels of sweetness are in question with the balance of the blending. None the less a good brew.

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

(From notes)

A - Pours with a half-finger of of bubbly white head that disappeared really quickly; semi-clear amber color

S - Stinky (but a milder version of stinky) cheese aromas; earthy; semi-funky and a little tart; not very sour smelling and no acidity; some fruit sweetness

T - Whoa; wasn't expecting how sweet this was. I understand that this is part of the style, and I have to admit this was my first Faro, but really not digging on this. Really sweet grapes and cherry flavors; and the funkiness of it is really overshadowed. Almost medicinal

M - A little sticky; lightish to medium MF; very muted carbonation

D - Not good for me; way too sweet and the mix with the slight funk just didn't work out well for my palate. Definitely was hoping for more funk

Overall, I hate to review this poorly as it was my first attempt at the style, but I still can't help but think that the overwhelming sweetness might not be the entire intention of the style. Will have to seek out others to compare.

4.41/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Date:7/28/14
Location: Half Time Mamaroneck
Glassware: Tulip

Appearance: Amber to light brown in color with an off white to tan well carbonated head. The beer itself is very clear when held to the light. There are some large yeast flakes inside the bottle. Average retention. Decent cling.
Aroma: Sweet in aroma with a syrupy cherry smell. Candied sugars. No hop presence.
Taste: Again the flavors are very sweet from the candied sugars. More fruits announce themselves in the flavor like plums, grapes and a very light cherry. There might be the slightest hint of hop bitterness in the back but it's hardly noticeable. The cherries linger in the end.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel shines. It's a very luscious syrupy flavor that coats the tongue and cheek. Medium body and medium to medium high carbonation hits my throat and tongue.

Notes: Capped and Corked.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

A: apricot, relatively flat, head- and lace-less.

S: a little funky, some sweet apple, astringent minerals.

T: very similar to a sweet hard cider, a little sour acid on the finish tastes like lemon juice.

M: medium-bodied, sweet sugary, smooth with a slight tingling from the carbonation.

O: I didn't find this one as unpleasant as some of the other reviews. It doesn't look or smell great, but it's smooth and has a delicate sourness. A tad too sweet, but that's par for the course with this style.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Russet/orange; cloudy; no head at all

Aroma: Very sour; sickly sweet

Taste: Very sweet start; zippy in the mid, with a tart finish; almost pink grapefruit aftertaste; pretty good for a sweet dessert drink

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Dark amber color, fruity nose and acid as with candied fruits (like apple and cherry). Body without being too nauseating sweet, sour and bitter without being powerful. Aftertaste of wood, especially cork. Another aftertaste is reminiscent of the gastric juice. A very young lambic is surely the basis of the beverage. Very easy to drink without being artificial or lacking in flavor.

3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a 355 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a darker amber. Very akin to apple juice. Produced to fingers width of off-white colored head. Reduced to a thick ring around the glass. Some lacing as the beer was consumed.

S- Pretty simple. Getting a little funk at the front of the nose. Barnyard along with some mustiness. A slight bit of fruit character in the background.

T- The first half the flavor profile is pretty good. The notes I was detecting in the aroma is exactly what was showcased here. However, where this beer went wrong was that an artificial sweetness just took over this beer, almost like nutrasweet. The ending of this beer reminded me of a Liptons Iced Tea that you would drink out of 20 oz. bottle with a couple packs of sugar added into it.

M- Light bodied with a lot of carbonation. The syrupy sugarness left an unpleasant coating on the palate, especially considering that it was very artificial.

D- A little bit of a chore to get through. Just way too sweet and synthetic for my liking. When my wife took a sip and said she liked it, I knew I was in trouble.

Overall, this was my first faro. I honestly hope this is not representative of the style. Looking forward to trying others.

3.75/5  rDev +3%