Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Faro |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
3.31/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a dark brown-tinged orangey colour, very healthy beige head, nice dense and bubbly, sinks slowly but great retention, leaving some pretty thick sheets of lace that cling to the glass. Looks very nice.

Nose is, wow, very different. Very sour with a huge champagne oaky aroma first of all, plus a big whiff of tobacco smoke and a large metallic aroma. But the overriding smell is a big whiff of stinky brie. It's champagne and rubber, very organic, and almost corporeal. It's a big WTF smell, really, but points for uniqueness.

Taste is very sweet and fruity, full of currant and basically just concentrated grape characters. A bit of a meaty character is produced because of that stinky brie mixing in with it. Some metallic hints towards the back, but really this tastes like stinky brie followed by grape juice. It's one of the most bizarre beers I've ever drunk, and overall pretty simple. I can't mark this down because of how fascinating I find it, but really it's bizarre more than delicious or outrageously palatable.

Quite fizzy on the feel, buzzing really, a little thin but an okay body for 4%.

I really can't fathom this, but I can drink it.

2.45/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours a deep golden copper colour with an frothy head of white foam that leaves some egg-white lacing down the rim of the glass. Carbonation is exceptionally fine and extensive, but static, even though the body isn't particularly heavy. It's just really composed of tiny bubbles which is really nice. Yep. A very nice looking brew.

Lots of acidity and slight funk on the nose, with huge notes of oak-barrel dominant. Really quite acidic and vinous. The characters are very refined but intense - it's as though you can smell the fermentation going on as it is served. Nice.

Taste is initially confronting and it gets worse, but, to be honest, it's exactly what I expected from the style. The acidity is present, but there's a huge sugary sweetness trying to overwhelm it. Rather than providing balance, it produces conflict between the acidity and the syrup, leaving both seemingly unpleasant and out of kilter. The oak character lingers above all of this, providing the only pleasant note. Otherwise, I find this sickly but brash, a cacophony of characters committing genocide in my mouth. Mouthfeel is crisp at least.

I just don't get this beer. It's like lolly-water, or like a beer brewed for kids. I found it incredibly difficult to drink, given the sweetness and the odd acidity striking harshly off it. I'm not a fan at all, especially given the really quite pleasant nose, the rest is offensive. I believe it's just the style that causes me so much grief - this may be a stellar example, but I'm not inclined to try another in order to find out.

3.61/5  rDev -1.1%

Picked this up at Mid-Town in Tulsa

Pours an effervescent orange/caramel with a fast falling cream colored head. Slight head retention & lacing

S: Tartness & grassyness & some raspberry once warm

T: Slight tartness, then intense sweetness (raisins, cherries & figs), & a bit of leafy hops up front. Oaky dryness & cherry sweetness as this warms. Finishes puckery with fruittyness & intense candi-sugar sweetness & leafy hops

MF: Puckery, intensely dry & still a bit too sweet balance-wise

Drinks all right, the over whelming sweetness makes this a beer that would be good for one or two at best. Not sure it's a style I can ever fall head over heels about

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

355ml corked and capped green bottle poured into a Leffe chalice.

A: Pours a dark ginger ale color with likewise carbonation. A moderate, wispy head forms but falls out fast and leaves only a bit of lacing.

S: Smells closer to a flanders with the lactic sourness rotten cheese. Very sour funk, sharper than expected and with a definitely sourness to the funk, other than just straight funk.

T/M: Definitely tastes Flemish with the lactic tart/sourness and funk. Closer to a red than a brown. The added Belgian candi sugar does make it much more palatable and lightens things up but the flavors don't do a whole lot for me. Body is medium light with decent carbonation.

D: 4% and much more palatable than would be expected, especially after the aroma, but this just doesn't do it for me. Especially since I was expecting more of a tradition Lambic with Belgian candi sugar added... not a Flanders.

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

(From notes)

A - Pours with a half-finger of of bubbly white head that disappeared really quickly; semi-clear amber color

S - Stinky (but a milder version of stinky) cheese aromas; earthy; semi-funky and a little tart; not very sour smelling and no acidity; some fruit sweetness

T - Whoa; wasn't expecting how sweet this was. I understand that this is part of the style, and I have to admit this was my first Faro, but really not digging on this. Really sweet grapes and cherry flavors; and the funkiness of it is really overshadowed. Almost medicinal

M - A little sticky; lightish to medium MF; very muted carbonation

D - Not good for me; way too sweet and the mix with the slight funk just didn't work out well for my palate. Definitely was hoping for more funk

Overall, I hate to review this poorly as it was my first attempt at the style, but I still can't help but think that the overwhelming sweetness might not be the entire intention of the style. Will have to seek out others to compare.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a 355 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a darker amber. Very akin to apple juice. Produced to fingers width of off-white colored head. Reduced to a thick ring around the glass. Some lacing as the beer was consumed.

S- Pretty simple. Getting a little funk at the front of the nose. Barnyard along with some mustiness. A slight bit of fruit character in the background.

T- The first half the flavor profile is pretty good. The notes I was detecting in the aroma is exactly what was showcased here. However, where this beer went wrong was that an artificial sweetness just took over this beer, almost like nutrasweet. The ending of this beer reminded me of a Liptons Iced Tea that you would drink out of 20 oz. bottle with a couple packs of sugar added into it.

M- Light bodied with a lot of carbonation. The syrupy sugarness left an unpleasant coating on the palate, especially considering that it was very artificial.

D- A little bit of a chore to get through. Just way too sweet and synthetic for my liking. When my wife took a sip and said she liked it, I knew I was in trouble.

Overall, this was my first faro. I honestly hope this is not representative of the style. Looking forward to trying others.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

355ml miniature Champagne bottle. Served in a Stange.

Copper-orange in color with a finger of white head that lasts for the whole session and leaves some nice Brussels lace on the sides of the glass.

Mild funky sourness and tart lactic sourness mingle with a sugary sweetness in the nose. Subtle fruity and spicy notes come through as well.

The taste has all of the characteristics of lambic (barnyard funkiness, lactic sourness, cider vinergar character), but they are cut by a syrupy candy sweetness. Additional fruitiness is evident behind the sweetness. It kind of reminds me of apple juice.

The added sugar leaves a rather thick mouthfeel that sits heavy on the back of the tongue. Rather than lending more drinkability (which I think is the intention of this style), the sugar makes one bottle of this plenty for one sitting. This is my first experience with this style, but I think it is a decent representation. It's definitely my least favorite of the lambic styles but I can appreciate it for what it is and I'm glad to have tried it.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

The beer pours a light clear brown with small head, but good retention and lacing.

The aroma is sour with horse blanket dominating. Lots of strong funkyness.

The taste is much lighter than the smell, but tart none-the-les. This reminds me of an american wild ale, just not as funky or complex. Its still something enjoyable to drink and very drinkable despite its funk.

2.53/5  rDev -30.7%

Amber-brownish liquid, fast receding "dirty" head.
I t doesn't look like beer, doesn't smell like beer, AND doesn't taste like beer.
Sweet, syrupy, not enough carbonation to counter it. A lemonade with some alcohol, pretending to be beer.
I will try a faro from another brewery, but I'm fairly certain this is not my style of beer. I prefer the "real" lambics.

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured this 355 mL green bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Coded: LJ27HFA. The body was amber-gold and fairly clear of sediment, head was off-white. A ring of sediment remained in the bottle.

Smell was the expected damp basement aroma. I hate to say it but upon a deep inhale a vomit smell was revealed, ick. Thankfully this was not the predominant aroma.

Taste was sweet, wow! Syrupy on the lips with a tart finish. Green apple pulp.

Mouthfeel was silky smooth with a medium body. Adequate carbonation and a bit syrupy. This was my first faro, I see that I prefer lambics.

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours deep amber with a medium-sized head showing great persistence and leaving some lacing.
Nice tangy, funky aroma with some goaty notes, light fruit (pears, peaches) and some acidic citrus. A hint of cheesy aroma, but faint enough so as to not detract too much from the overall experience.
Very sweet taste, lots of sugary confectionery. Some goaty notes, very mild acidic character, and finishes with a just noticeable bitterness. The sweetness is a little too intense for me.
Light body and carbonation. For a beer this sweet the carbonation really needs to be higher.

750ml bottle poured into my Supra tumbler, Lindemans Faro is spritzy honey brown with no head or lace.

Smell is sweet, apple cider like quinine.

Taste is like the appearance, iced tea. Lambic with nutrasweet is what this is, and what it taste like, with the dominant emphisis on the saccharin. Starts out nice and tart, but is nothing but fake sugar through the long finish.

Mouthfeel is sugary and thick, a total teeth rotter.

Drinkability is fine I guess for the style, which I've never had before. But I hate saccharin, and feel this 'style' of lambic is a travisty, kiddie beer. My wife hates all beers, but this is the only one of the many I've made here try that she actually liked. It was that un-beer-like! Again, I'm not familiar with the style, but I assume this is pretty much average.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap at the Académie De La Bière in Paris.

I'm not familiar with the Faro style, which is why I tried this. I'm going by the style description in scoring this. It seems to have hit all the major points: it's sweet and light.

A: The body is a light golden-amber blend with active carbonation up the center. The head has receded by the time the beer reaches me, but it's survived by a moderate collar on the brew as well as some scattered bubbles on the surface.

S: Tangy candi sugar, caramel, green apples. A hint of pepper and orange. Really just smells like candy, as a whole.

T: And tastes like it, too. Sweet, sugary candi-flavor up front. The mid-taste sees an evolution of apple and caramel, with a light berry aroma, but the finish is again just candi, candi, candi.

M: Light-bodied, carbonation is soft on the tongue. Syrupy, but it's light enough (and cleansing enough) that it doesn't get sticky and cloying.

D: One glass was enough. It's not really a dessert sipper, and it's not really appropriate to start a meal. I'm not sure where I'd fit it into a drinking order. Maybe if you had a small child who likes sweet things? Children like candy, don't they? There we go... Faro = beer for children.

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to akorsak for sharing this 355ml bottle on 10/18/09.

A - Poured a slightly hazy golden/light orange body with a foamy alabaster head that yielded lots of thick, bubbly lacing around the glass.

S - Hmmm... kind of odd aroma and certainly not exactly what I was expecting. Initial aroma is a patchwork of sweet and sour sauce, mothballs, caramelized apples, candi sugar and a hint of band-aid.

T - Initial sip reveals something very different than what the aroma suggested. This is an extremely sweet and sugary brew with lots of fruity notes akin to apples and berries. There's also candi sugar... LOTS of candi-sugar. This is the Marshmallow Peeps of beer, folks!

M - Light bodied with a syrupy texture and soft carbonation, resulting in minimal bristle factor. Sugary, candy-like sweetness envelopes the tongue through the finish.

D - This was almost too sweet. Actually, it was too sweet... for a beer, anyway. The sweetness really hinders its drinkability overall. Interesting style, though, and could be the perfect gateway beer for twenty-something chicks who drink liquor laced with Red Bull and Sweet & Sour mixers.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to akorsak for helping me check this style off my list! A sweetened lambic....hmmm.

A-Bright, clear copper with a thin off-white head that reduced to a ring and left decent lace.

S-Wet,musty wool, a touch of sulphur and strong honey sugary sweetness.

T-Very sweet with a honey like feel and a touch of vinegar sourness. This one though is all about the sweet! A sharp bite comes out in the background.

M-Medium-light bodied and syrupy smooth with a nice lingering residual sweetness and sour twang.

D-Not bad and certainly interesting but overall this one is too sweet for me. I would love to try a fresh, on tap and more? authentic offering of Faro. Guess I will have to go to Belgium to do so!

Thanks to kryptic for the heads up that I could locate this at the Andersons Market in Sylvania, OH. Shared with ksak and others (they know who they are, and they better thank me!).

A: The ale is an amber color that approximates a brown beer bottle. The ale is transparent, clear enough that I can see through it. A finger and a half of head left no trail.

S: The nose is sugary sweet, very similar to Lindemans' other lambic offerings without the fruit additions. A touch of funkiness reminds me of its Belgian heritage.

T: The faro is distressingly sweet. A sugary body of the pale candi variety dominate each sip. The ale takes on a cidery flavor, sweet beyond description. Par for the course for most of Lindemans' offerings. There is a funkiness below the candi sugars that is strong enough to remind you of its origins.

M: The mouthfeel is very pleasant, sweet and driven by candi sugars. The only difference between this and the fruit lambics is a touch of fruit juice.

D: Some may complain that this one doesn't count. To that I say, 'Nuts!' The lambic underbelly and candi sugar sweetness are a good one-two punch.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Well what can I say it s a sweet and sour beer and as such quite interesting to drink. It smacks of apple and grapes with some faint caramel notes and almost tastes more like a cider than a beer.

The appearance is omewhat in line with that and the colour is somewhat reminicent of natural cloudy apple juice.

The smell is somewhat faint but fresh like an apple orchard and as such not bad. Drinkability is OK but the drink gets a bit acidic and sour after a while so...

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a hazy orange with a large white head. Lots of lacing as it goes down. The smell brings out some citrus, tart grapes and apples, and some malty sweetness. The taste is somewhat sour, but mostly refreshing sweetness. A little bit of earthiness. The body is medium and creamy; overall, this one was quite drinkable, and makes faro a style I'd like to seek out more of.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a clear copper colour with a persistent off-white head. Pretty streams of carbonation flow through the glass.

Nicely sweet and sour aroma with some nice funky overtones working their way through the nose.

Good balance between sweet and sour. While I am a fan of really sour traditional lambics and gueuzes, this works for me. I get a strong vinous character with tart grapes, peaches and stonefruit playing a role. The significant sweetness doesn't overpower cutting the sweetness enough to mean that this doesn't have to be a sipper.

Medium bodied with a soft carbonation, this is easy enough to drink. I would probably like it to be a bit thinner but that is hard to do when it has been loaded up with unfermented sugars. A tasy, drinkable beer even if it goes against my penchant for mouth puckering, stupidly sour wild beers.

3.44/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - pours a coppery amber into a Lindemann lambic flute (one of the rare times I have the proper glassware from the actual brewery, so woo hoo!). A light off-white head springs up quickly and slowly yields until it is a thin cover with a high-necked collar.

Aroma - a light yeasty fruitiness, Belgian sugar adding a sweet side. The effervescence gives even the aroma a crispness of sorts. Light and unassuming for the most part.

Taste - rather sweet. In fact, very sweet. Mostly like drinking a sweet wine. The Belgian candi sugar rules here, allowing snippets of grain through. The wild yeast is really light, minimizing any funk of sorts. Fairly refreshing, although a bit cloying at length.

Mouthfeel - bubbly crisp, medium body.

Drinkability - I was really kind of intimidated by the style because of the unknown funk factor. Lindemanns is classic for sweeter variants of the lambic styles, so I'll certainly try another example of this limited class, but I enjoyed this and would have it again.

3.77/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a corked & capped green 355mL bottle. The beer is hazy , light copper colored, thin wet "spitty" looking foam. The aroma is so good, funky barnyard / horse saddle, & whatnot. A little bit of apple too. The taste is very sweet (added candi sugar based on the bottle description), probably about right for the style but really too sweet for me. I like the tart apple flavors and also the Belgian yeasty funk but the sugar makes it hard to drink much. Good thing it comes in small bottles.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange brown hue with a tall off white head. Nice retention and leggy lace.

S: Lots of sweetness with hints of citrus, and sweet apple.

T: Sweet and sour real nice actually. Rock candy sweetness up front. Hints of sour lemon, green apple, and brown sugar malt.

M: Medium in body, nice sweet, tasty.

D: Good, It is one that should be shared, but it took care of it all by myself.

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%

355ml bottle, at Saint-Bock in Montreal.

This beer pours a slightly hazy, medium golden amber hue, with one skinny finger of soapy, thinly foamy off-white head, and some chunky, chippy sediment swirling about, and some low-lying seacoast lace around the glass as it quickly bleeds away.

It smells of rather bitter cherry and lemon 'fruitiness', weirdly tempered by a sense of out-of-place sugary sweetness, with a slightly understated acetic funkiness, and mildly gamey yeast. The taste is sweet lemon, cherry, and apple tartness, equally prominent candy sugar, a hint of generic coriander, crystallized orange peel, sour grain, and softly earthy yeast.

The carbonation is tame and duly frothy, the body a fairly solid medium-light weight, and a wee bit sticky. It finishes well off-dry, the candy sugar dueling a bit too winningly with the lingering stone fruit sweetness, and now ethereal barnyard funk.

I found this to be a very nice, if somewhat surprising opener to a warm summer evening abroad in my own country - light, but not so much so, and definitely sweet, with a hint of balance that allows one to end off with tongue intact, ready for more.

3.37/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, light brown-amber body with a few initial bubbles, though no appreciable head formation.

Smell: Sourish, tart, lightly musty wafts juxtaposed against a sweet, sugar-laced aroma.

Taste: Sugary sweet with touches of treacle to keep the mustiness at bay. Some subtle fruity tones of sour apricots and tart peaches. Even subtler herbal hints. Very small nibble of Colby cheese. The high degree of sweetness manages to hold back the tart and sour qualities, even through to the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Fairly low amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Just as the overly sweet, simplistic Lindemans lambics rarely win me over, the same is true for their faro. I feel the humble faro could be better served by more prominent lambic produces. Now then, if I could only get my grimy mitts on the Cantillon or Girardin faro.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Code LJ27HFA on the back

A: Pours a hazy rust color with a moderate frothy head. Lots of lacing.

S: Moderately funky with aromas of brown sugar and mixed fruit. Weird.

T: Quite sweet right off the bat - like eating a spoonful of sugar. A slight tartness is accompanied by citrus flavors and a tiny bit of wild funk.

M: Light yet syrupy and sticky. Light and super fine carbonation with a lasting sweetness.

D: My first faro, and I'm finding it quite unusual. A bit too sugary for me, but it's definitely palatable if you're into that.

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans