Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Faro LambicLindemans Faro Lambic

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Faro |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a caramel color with soda like bubbles that subside to nothing. Smells fruity, lots of apple and pear. Taste is very sweet and cidery. Mouthfeel is medium. Pretty tasty and easy drinkin. A little sweet for my taste but definitely more accessible than other lambics. (271 characters)

For all the talk I'd heard about this being extremely lowly carbonated, mine poured a nice finger and a half into a rich golden brown, slightly hazy. Head dissipates rapidly with minimal lacing but surprising retention. Nice glow to it.

Aroma is rich and complex, with funky barnyard notes against a variety of bready sugary tones. Slightly musty and apricoty.

The taste is unfortunately staggeringly sweet at first, a light golden brown sugar that overwhelms practically everything. The finish has a slight sour twang to it and a bit of a rusty bitter note, so it's not overpoweringly cloying on the back end, which is really all that keeps this drinkable.

Mouth is fine... holds up well, medium to light body. Sticks a bit long on the tongue.

About halfway through the sweetness, since it's not cloying, is something you adapt to. It doesn't build on itself. That said, it's not something I'd reach for again. (915 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Had a 25cl bottle at the Hopduvel restaurantin Ghent. The beer is sweet and and cidery, but still pleasant and was a decent enough pairing with my beer stew. The aftertaste did leave a decent sour tang, though compared to most lambics this is fairly simple. It had an odd, but interesting, stale bread aroma. Maybe that's supposed to happen with faros. I can't say I know. (372 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a very nice dark orange-copper color with some decent initial head and some very nice lacing. Very sweet scent, wheat malt with some candy sugar to it, along with a very slight spice that I can't place (pepper, coriander, ???). Great taste, excellent sweet beer with great malt, wheat, and sugar attributes, with just enough hops at the end to keep it from being overly unbalanced; again, a slight spiciness that's just at the edge of my tongue that I can't place. It goes down very smoothly. This would be a great beer for a wine drinker. (545 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass, at around 50 degrees F. The bottle had a cap, then a cork that had to be withdrawn with a corkscrew.

A: I poured a dark amber somewhat turgid liquor with very tiny bubbles into my glass. It formed a nice, smallish white head that left a light cap. Decent lacing followed the beer down the glass.

S: A strong farmhouse aroma was quite evident, masking a green apple scent with some sweetness on the nose.

T: Apple, pear and a note of honey are forward on the palate, followed by a spiciness leading to a very dry finish. The beer is a study in contrast; it is quite sweet at first, but finishes dry and crisp, seeming really to clean the palate. Also, while sweet, it is simultaneously a bit sour. In many ways it is reminiscent of a dry Normandy cider.

M: The beer is quite light on the tongue, and seems to be very spritzy.

D: Despite being rather complex, the beer is also refreshing and easy to drink.

Overall: This is my first foray into this style, so I cannot compare this to others nor can I rate it on its adherence to style. Standing on its own, I find it to be a very compelling break from the ordinary. (1,170 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours an almost clear and a darker amber. Nose is like a syrup kind of thing. Flavor is basically like a sweetened beer (which it is.) Fruity tones are mixed in. Mild earthy tones barely show up before being taken over by the sugars again. Feel is slick on liquid and the carbonation is a bit full. It's sweet, but this is very easy to drink. (342 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Appearance: It's mostly clear and copper in color. Not a speck of sediment in the glass. I'm a little surprised by that. It's topped with a vanilla colored head that didn't stick around long. Very light lacing remained on the glass.

Smell: There's quite a few fruity notes that kick it off. Apple, pear, and light cherry. It smells sweet and loaded with sugar. Yeast is very prominent on the nose and really smells nice. That's actually its most appealing characteristic thus far. Smells a little grainy. All in all, it's above average. No better than that. It's not deep and doesn't have any standout qualities that jump out at you.

Taste: This is one seriously sweet beer. Very sugary and fruity. If you're into super sweet beers, you'll probably love it. I'm not. It's fruity and features scents of cherry, apple, and pear. They have a very candy-like flavor. It's a tad tart. Don't get me wrong, it's not a strong tart flavor, but it is there. There's a definite grainy quality to it. I'm not picking up any alcohol, but for a 4% beer, that's not surprising. It has a very sweet, slightly tart finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It has a light body that borders on medium. Carbonation is active, but it remains smooth. The feel is the most impressive aspect of this beer. Drinkability is very average. It's way too sweet. I'll finish the bottle, but it might take me a bit.

Lindemans Faro is above average beer overall. It'd take quite a bit of work to really improve it. The biggest problem is its overly sweet flavor. It's just too much for me. Perhaps that's typical for the style. I don't know. This is my first Faro. If that's the case. I'm not a huge fan. It's worth a try, but not much more than that. I'm pleased to try the style, but it'll be something that I revisit rather infrequently. (1,803 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

poured this particular one out of a 250 ml bottle into a goblet .

A, a nice copper, amber color to it with little froth almost no carbonation i try to agitate it and got some foam on the walls of the glass . no lacing . it`s well filtered ,clear.

S, i let it warm and then took a good whiff , it`s sweet malt is obvious and sour fruits ,grapes,green apple and flowery hops .

T this is very sweet indeed ,tasty fruit favor yet sour grapes and fresh hops , malt .

M,a sweet pleasant feel almost a lite wine like smoothness ,sweet malty after taste .

D this is a easy beer to drink i`m not disapointed with it`s sweet,yet sour flavor .close to a rose wine although it`s beer. (677 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

12 ounce capped and corked bottle. Served in a stange glass, the beer pours a hazy dark gold/amber color with an inch and a half frothy white head. Head retention is excellent, lacing is OK. The aroma is sweet and musty, and I can also smell some candy sugar, and somewhat tart fruit. The taste is very, very sweet. Mostly I can taste candy sugar, but there's also a little bit of musty funk and somewhat tart fruit in there too. The problem is after a while the sugary sweetness overpowers the other flavors in the beer. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's very smooth and also very carbonated as lot of bubbles continuously come from the bottom of the glass to the top. The carbonation works great for this beer. Drinkability is decent as it's not too hard to drink, but after a while the sweetness of the beer just gets to be too much for me. This is the first Faro style beer I've tried, and I'd like to try more in the future. I just hope they're not all quite as sweet as this one is. It's not a bad beer, it's just not something I could drink all the time. (1,057 characters)

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Brown 25cl bottle, best before 25th Jan 2009, drank 15th Feb 2009, so slightly older than recommended.

Poured into a 'Mort Subite' flute (twice, it only holds 0.2 Litre.

No cork in my bottle, just a silver foil covering and a normal bottle cap.

Old marmalade orange in colour, with a huge cream coloured head (hence the two pours).

Vinegarous aroma, then farmyards, then marmalade with yeast and sour fruit.

Sweet and sour flavours, tart yet very drinkable. Drys in the mouth, strange and yet interesting qualities. Complexed and confusing. Sticky when spilt, I needed some water after the tasteing, just to cleanse my palate.

Is it too sweet? Most likely yes.

Is it too sour? Most likely yes.

The 25cl bottle was just about the right amount for me. Any more and I'd have started to find fault, any less and I might have missed something. (846 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Faro Green bottle 355ml with black and silver label. Poured into a pint glass at Winking Lizard. This is a "Live" review.

A Orange brown body under a minimal head that dissipates quickly. Remaining is just a ring around the top...kind of bubbly. Nothing much more than that.

S Sweet malt, wheat. Nothing too dramatic.

T Sweetness in front to a high degree that I did not get in the smell. It has a LOT in common with the other Lambics in its sweetness. It reminds me of a syrupy nectar really.

M Full like candied syrup, like a sweet syrup only thinner.

D Great and if it was not so expensive ($7.25 for this 12 oz. bottle!) then I could easily drink many more of them.

Notes: It was cool to have one of this in a bottle at the Winking Lizard. I most likely would not have otherwise had a Faro so I am glad that I did. (824 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -1.1%

Amber color; clear. No head at all.

Candy sugar aroma with a slight sourness.

The flavor is sugary; no sign of the sourness. This is also a full bodied beer with nearly no carbonation. Very much like double bock and less like a lambic. A pretty good beer although it is contrary to the usual taste I like. (307 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

25 cl bottle (tiny!), purchased somewhere in Paris. "consumer avant de 18 mars, 2008" dating on the rear label. The nose here was of orange, nuts, earthiness, and Grand Marnier liquor. A moderate pour revealed a minor head, next to no lacing, but plenty of bubbles continuing to rise to the top. More earth, orange, honey, sweet and sour with more and more sour building up. I also pick up some mustiness and minor continued funk in the finish. Wish I could get a regular supply of this in the U.S.A. Nice dessert/aperitif beer (527 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -14.5%

Not a lambic fan but a friend offered me a bottle and I didn't deny the opportunity to try something new.

Poured a light amber tan with a thin half-finger of white head. Head departs rather quickly, leaving no lacing.

Smells of sugar and fruit, very sweet.

Taste is extremely sweet, to sweet for me, and the sweetness overpowers what subtle hints of fruit and maybe brown sugar there are.

Mouthfeel is very crisp and sharp due to the high amount of carbonation, almost seems like this beer is a carbonated candy liqour as opposed to a beer.

Drinkability is average at best. This is way to sweet for me to drink more than once and I'm not a fan of lambics to begin with. (674 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A brown beer with a settling head that is creamy.

Smell of candisugar and a mild tartness and a bit of wood. There is something unfresh in the smell, which mostly reminds me of old flowerwater.

Taste is intensily sweet. The candi sweetness almost completely overrules the tartness. There is some tartness, but hidden in the back. The sugar makes the beer's mouthfeel very syrupy and hard to drink. For a newbie (lambic) beer drinker this might be a very good beer, but not for me. (482 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not a big fan of lambics, and although Lindemans is a very decent brewery, faro isn't it's flagship beer definetly. it seemed rather thin and sour, deighner of a soda than of a good beer. poor smell, but the taste is too sweet too sour. not my particular taste in beer. (273 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

A clean amber beer. Has a small off white head. The aroma is sweet and sour at the same time. With the candy sweet dancing back and forth with the tempting sour notes. The candy sweetness starts the flavor that has hints of caramel apple. Followed by a nice tart finish. There are also hints of tabacco as it warms and a light astringency. (339 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%

Small corked and capped bottle, poured into a Lindemans flute.

Dark yellow with reddish highlights, it has a quickly dissipating off-white head.
The aroma is actually quite good; the sweet fruitiness still leaves some space to the more typical mustiness and leather-like gueuze smell.
Light bodied, it is unfortunately too sweet, and although some gueuze-like funkiness and earthiness comes through, the excessive amount of sugar limits the drinkability - a lot. I have had better, more balanced faros. (505 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

250ml bottle
4.20% ABV

I tried this beer on February 29, 2008 at 'The Beer Bistro' in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer poured a translucent dark red with a thin white head. The aroma was fruity, with very little if any hints of malt or hops. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied, and very champagne like. The flavour also had a champagne feel, and was very sweet with some subtle sour hints to balance out the sweetness. (418 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle courtesy of thewolf: Poureda hazy orange color lambic with a medium size foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma consists of sweet notes courtesy of the candi sugar with some light sour traces and some light tart notes. Taste is also dominated by some sweet notes with light sour and tart notes. Light filtration with some great carbonation provide an easily enjoyable beer that would be even better in my backyard during a hot summer afternoon. (466 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

My first faro, I've been wanting to try this style for years now. Not easy to come by in my neck of the woods. It's toffee colored with a nice thin head and no lace to speak of. The smell is yeast, horse blanket, and fresh earth. Very unusual...sort of the beer equivalent of meat that's "gamey". The taste is very sweet up front, with mellow fruits and a earthy background. The mouthfeel is syrupy, soft, and a bit too thick overall. The drinkability is really limited by the sweetness. Unless you're hypoglycemic, this is not the session beer for you. (553 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -9%

The first of the style for me, I had to seek this one out, as it is not readily available in my neck of the woods. I had been eager to try it, so I decided to pop one open last night and try it out. The pour was rather nice, with a caramel colored light brown liquid falling into the glass. Lots of lighter tones permeating throughout. A very interesting head of white foam formed quickly with lots of carbonation bubbling up toward the surface. Unfortunately, it did not last long and was quickly replaced by a thin line of white around the edges of the glass, and a small amount of side glass lace. There were still some small bubbles stretching to the surface that could be seen through the semi transparent liquid. Interesting look for sure.

The first thing I picked up from the aroma was the beautiful smell of funky yeast, wow do I love that smell, it really sets me off when ever I run across it. Nice sour apple and pear aromas start to come through then and are mixing in with a candied apple and sugary smell that as it warms starts to take over the profile a bit, but was still leaving behind the nice funky notes way in the back. The flavor, on the other hand, was an utter disappointment. Everything was awash in sickingly sweet candy notes. Now this was not terrible by any means, it was just a shame, as the sweetness was so overpowering that it was nearly impossible to really appreciate the apple and pear notes that lie underneath of it. Lots of honey infused flavors here now, really sweet. With some residual funky yeast, flavors were there if you really looked for them, but again, buried under caramelized candy like sugar flavors. The feel was light, and a little slick, with surprisingly a lack of carbonation, which I did not think, would be an issue. It was very light and airy though, but I could not stomach another one, as it was just too sweet for me.

I do not know about this one. I am a big fan of the sour beers, so seeing this one overrun with sugar disappointed me, but then again it is the style, just not one I overall think I will enjoy. No need to slam it, as I am sure it is a fine example of the style. It is definitely complex and well crafted, just not for me. If the honey soaked candy sugar type fruit beers is your thing, this one is right up your alley. (2,302 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

375ml corked and capped bottle bought from The Vineyard, Belfast...

Poured a nice coppery orange colour. Slightly off white head poured big and foamy with a pocked marked top then faded slowly to wispy covering... lots of small carbonation bubbles rush to the surface... lots of sticky lacing...

Aroma - Good amount of sour lambic funk backed with a light candy sugar sweetness, some vinegar notes, salty traces, sour apple and lemon tart fruitiness, some biscuit notes, some grassiness, wet hay...

Taste - Loads of (overly ?) sweet candy sugar, honey and caramel notes, lightly toasted bread, some faint funkiness but this is pretty much obscured by the sweetness, stewed apples, some light lemon...

Feel - Smooth and creamy... light / medium bodied... pretty refreshing when slightly chilled but way too sweet to be very drinkable. A 375ml bottle was almost too much to take...

Overall - Decent enough but just way too sweet... worth a try though... (956 characters)

In my opinion this is a very underated variety of lambic out there but it is not really available in the U.S. so you have to really seak these out if you want to try them. I was lucky enough to taste a few with family. The beer poured a golden color with a very slight head. The nose is very sweet and citrusy as expected. For some the taste may be too sweet but I really enjoy it in moderation. (395 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at the Poechenellekelder in Brussels.

A huge, rocky white head shakes side to side in the glass as our waiter hurriedly runs it over to the table. The body has two tones: a deep amber colour on top and a lighter, tawny yellow underneath. Some - but in no way complete - clarity. The complexion has a creamy look to it. Plenty of lacing, top to bottom, circle the glass like topography lines on a map.

A soft spoken, deliciously sweet aroma. It smells just like the boiling rock candy used in production. The aroma does fair warning of the sweetness that will ensue. No spice in the nose.

The sugar is felt in the mouth, especially in a "tooth-decaying" sense. The texture is very smooth and it is refreshing, but only in small quantity. With such sweetness the drinkability wears out after only one. Even the best Faros aren't that special.

The candi sugar seems to numb notes of apple and pear. There is plenty of sugar where in standard lambics there would be 'funk'. The flavour is very light, which I suppose by design is to keep the Faro enjoyable. The finish has an almost sucking dry finish.

The Lindemans Faro seems to capture the style quite well, unfortunately I don't feel the style is all that great. While Faros are suppose to be more "palatable" then other lambics, I would tend to disagree. I will grant them being more "agreeable" to the average drinker, but they certainly are nowhere near as exciting. (1,434 characters)

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans