Join our email list →

Faro | 4.20% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a clear copper colour with a persistent off-white head. Pretty streams of carbonation flow through the glass.

Nicely sweet and sour aroma with some nice funky overtones working their way through the nose.

Good balance between sweet and sour. While I am a fan of really sour traditional lambics and gueuzes, this works for me. I get a strong vinous character with tart grapes, peaches and stonefruit playing a role. The significant sweetness doesn't overpower cutting the sweetness enough to mean that this doesn't have to be a sipper.

Medium bodied with a soft carbonation, this is easy enough to drink. I would probably like it to be a bit thinner but that is hard to do when it has been loaded up with unfermented sugars. A tasy, drinkable beer even if it goes against my penchant for mouth puckering, stupidly sour wild beers.

3.44/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - pours a coppery amber into a Lindemann lambic flute (one of the rare times I have the proper glassware from the actual brewery, so woo hoo!). A light off-white head springs up quickly and slowly yields until it is a thin cover with a high-necked collar.

Aroma - a light yeasty fruitiness, Belgian sugar adding a sweet side. The effervescence gives even the aroma a crispness of sorts. Light and unassuming for the most part.

Taste - rather sweet. In fact, very sweet. Mostly like drinking a sweet wine. The Belgian candi sugar rules here, allowing snippets of grain through. The wild yeast is really light, minimizing any funk of sorts. Fairly refreshing, although a bit cloying at length.

Mouthfeel - bubbly crisp, medium body.

Drinkability - I was really kind of intimidated by the style because of the unknown funk factor. Lindemanns is classic for sweeter variants of the lambic styles, so I'll certainly try another example of this limited class, but I enjoyed this and would have it again.

3.77/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a corked & capped green 355mL bottle. The beer is hazy , light copper colored, thin wet "spitty" looking foam. The aroma is so good, funky barnyard / horse saddle, & whatnot. A little bit of apple too. The taste is very sweet (added candi sugar based on the bottle description), probably about right for the style but really too sweet for me. I like the tart apple flavors and also the Belgian yeasty funk but the sugar makes it hard to drink much. Good thing it comes in small bottles.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange brown hue with a tall off white head. Nice retention and leggy lace.

S: Lots of sweetness with hints of citrus, and sweet apple.

T: Sweet and sour real nice actually. Rock candy sweetness up front. Hints of sour lemon, green apple, and brown sugar malt.

M: Medium in body, nice sweet, tasty.

D: Good, It is one that should be shared, but it took care of it all by myself.

3.87/5  rDev +6%

355ml bottle, at Saint-Bock in Montreal - my first Faro!

This beer pours a slightly hazy, medium golden amber hue, with one skinny finger of soapy and thinly foamy off-white head, with some chunky, chippy sediment swirling about, which renders some low-lying seacoast lace around the glass as it quickly bleeds away.

It smells of rather bitter cherry and lemon 'fruitiness' - weirdly tempered by a sense of out-of-place sugary sweetness - with a slightly understated acetic funkiness, and mildly gamey yeast. The taste is sweet lemon, cherry, and apple tartness, equally prominent candy sugar, a hint of generic coriander, crystallized orange peel, sour grain, and softly earthy yeast.

The carbonation is tame and duly frothy, the body a fairly solid medium-light weight, and a wee bit sticky. It finishes well off-dry, the candy sugar dueling a bit too winningly with the lingering stone fruit sweetness, and now ethereal barnyard funk.

I found this to be a very nice, if somewhat surprising opener to a warm summer evening abroad in my own country - light, but not so much so, and definitely sweet, with a hint at balance that allows one to end off with tongue intact, ready for more.

3.37/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, light brown-amber body with a few initial bubbles, though no appreciable head formation.

Smell: Sourish, tart, lightly musty wafts juxtaposed against a sweet, sugar-laced aroma.

Taste: Sugary sweet with touches of treacle to keep the mustiness at bay. Some subtle fruity tones of sour apricots and tart peaches. Even subtler herbal hints. Very small nibble of Colby cheese. The high degree of sweetness manages to hold back the tart and sour qualities, even through to the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Fairly low amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Just as the overly sweet, simplistic Lindemans lambics rarely win me over, the same is true for their faro. I feel the humble faro could be better served by more prominent lambic produces. Now then, if I could only get my grimy mitts on the Cantillon or Girardin faro.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Code LJ27HFA on the back

A: Pours a hazy rust color with a moderate frothy head. Lots of lacing.

S: Moderately funky with aromas of brown sugar and mixed fruit. Weird.

T: Quite sweet right off the bat - like eating a spoonful of sugar. A slight tartness is accompanied by citrus flavors and a tiny bit of wild funk.

M: Light yet syrupy and sticky. Light and super fine carbonation with a lasting sweetness.

D: My first faro, and I'm finding it quite unusual. A bit too sugary for me, but it's definitely palatable if you're into that.

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

Slightly cloudy with very small head. Orange brown in color.

Smells... hmm... can't place it. Smells a bit fruity sweet.

Taste, the first few sips weren't doing it for me. My wife affectionately stated it tasted like sweetened tea with a barf aftertaste. Nice. The more I had, the better the taste got. I think my palate needed to get used to it. It almost tastes like it was in a barrel for a little while.

The taste is sour... a little like apple juice but with a bitter bite in the aftertaste. Not bad toward the 2nd half.

MF was nice after I got used to the way it feels with the aftertaste.

Seemed pretty easy to drink abut was too sweet to have more than one bottle. I had fun with this tasting and recommend that you try it if you see it and want a lambic. But, there are probably other, better options out there.

Hmmm... the barf aftertaste just hit again. Weird. I definitely wouldn't want to drink enough of this to be sick... man, that would be bad.

3.1/5  rDev -15.1%

A - Pours medium gold to amber depending on the light and area of the glass under inspection. White head tops out at about half inch and has a creamy look to it. Retention is average and little to no lacing is left behind. Not much really stands out in this category.

S - Start out pretty sweet with aromas of caramel and hard candy. A light bread crust is able to follow but the sweetness really dominates all the way through. Toffee pops in at the very end. Smell is simple and to the point.

T - Sweet doesn't even begin to describe this beer. It's different. I'll give that much at least. Big dose of malt, caramel, straight liquid malt extract just crush the palate with sweetness. Somehow there are other flavors that are able to come in towards the background and compliment the sweet flavors. Some green apple and maybe a hint of cherry in there. The flavors do kind of work overall. Kind of.

M - Fuller bodied at first that dwindles to a lighter body toward the end with a light carbonation level. Finish is...sweet and too close to cloying for my taste. No surprise there.

D - Drinkibility is really not that great. The overwhelming sweet flavor really is hard to get past. Seems like the beer has a good amount of potential though. The apple that follows the sweetness in the flavor could work really well if it was a little stronger. This was my first experience with the style and although it is pretty average I can see giving the style another whirl to see what all could be done with it from other brewers.

1.81/5  rDev -50.4%

I like lambics. Earthy, funky, sour, weird...these are positive descriptors in my book when it comes to beer. I've visited Cantilon and really enjoyed the beers I tried there. But I did not like this beer one bit. It was sickeningly sweet and definitely gave me the impression that it wasn't done baking yet.

I should mention that this is my first Faro...in fact I think this is the last beer style on this site that I haven't tried. When I visited the Cantillon tasting room, I asked if they had any Faro available for tasting, and the lady behind the bar explained to me in broken English that Faro was not highly thought of...like it was a "low" style of lambic. And after having taste this beer, compared to the gueuze that I've had, this beer seems not very complex...instead it is sickeningly sweet, cereal-y, and unpleasantly astringent. This beer was dark and far maltier than I expected. Imagine a way too grainy beer, with a ton of some sort of sweeter-than-sugar artificial sweetener added. It also had a weird skunk smell when I first opened it, which dissipated after a few minutes.

I diidn't like it...and wouldn't recommend it to others. I bought this bottle at the Winerak in Zanesville, OH.

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just bought this small capped bottle from De Bier Tempel in Brussels. It was in the oooler for 1.85 euros.

Pours a dark amber with a bit thick creamy head.

Smell is strong sweet sugar and acidic vinegary lambic. A bit medicinal, not much else going on in the nose.

Taste is very, very sweet almost syrupy with a bit of citrusy lemon kick. It reminds me of the blended lambic I just had at a la becasse around the corner.

This is sort of a dessert beer slash beer that I would love if I was much younger and just getting into beer. The sweetness is a bit overpowering.

Overall, I can't say its a favorite but it certainly is something that is easy to drink. Its a good night cap after being up for 24 hours after landing in Brussels early this morning.

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%

This beer uncorked with a loud 'POP'. It poured as a caramel-like translucent brown color with a slight white head. Nice lace...the apperance is really inviting. The smell is nothing special. There's some twang and sugar...a little caramel and faint molasses. Young apples. It's an interesting smell, but there's no funk, and it's not terribly exciting. The taste is mostly sweet, and (as expected) sugary...a brown-sugar flavor with some caramel. The beer also has a nice tartness that could be a little more pronounced. The flavors do balance off of one another. Good body for the low alcohol brew. Not bad, it's very drinkable.

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Ok, so this should give me a rating for the faro style. Huge thanks to Nicholas for bringing me a couple of bottles of this. Good guy.

Pours a rather muddy, brown color with a decent head that never fully dies. Tons of sweet sugar and sugary berries in the nose. Too sweet? Quite possibly.

The taste is also overwhelmed by sweetness, with touches of dark berries trying to peek out from the candi sugar/brown sugar sweetness. Notes of raisins.

Super sweet. If you know what you are getting into with the style, this is a fun beer. But...if you don't like sweet, you will hate this beer. Also, almost no funk noted here...disappointed in that.

1.57/5  rDev -57%

I really wanted to like this beer, I really did. I'm not a fan of Lindeman's other lambics - too artificial and sugary sweet. I'd never had a faro, so I was excited. I thought this would be a little different. It is, but in a bad way. Popped the cork and poured very dingy and brownish into a lambic glass but with some nice reddish highlights. Not much head, as per the style. I almost didn't even want to take a sip after the first whiff. I can only compare it to a bowl of dog food that ol' Rufus spilled his water into and sat there for a few days. Moldy, soggy, dog food. Oh and a sweet sugaryness. Taste wasn't nearly so bad but not really good enough to redeem the beer. Just too sickly sweet, I can't do it. I need to try another faro now to see what's up for real with this style. Viscous chewy clumsy mouthfeel. Yuk. I wish I could be a little more positive but this was just pretty awful. Sorry Lindeman's. First drain pour in about 5 years. Too bad.

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle with cork.

Poured dark copper color with an average fizzy white head that diminished slowly with fair lacing. Good barley wheat & yeast aroma. Medium body with tingly texture and soft carbonation. Moderate to heavy sweet fruity flavor with a solid fruit and small alcohol bite finish of moderate to long duration.

This is a standout lambic.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a caramel color with soda like bubbles that subside to nothing. Smells fruity, lots of apple and pear. Taste is very sweet and cidery. Mouthfeel is medium. Pretty tasty and easy drinkin. A little sweet for my taste but definitely more accessible than other lambics.

For all the talk I'd heard about this being extremely lowly carbonated, mine poured a nice finger and a half into a rich golden brown, slightly hazy. Head dissipates rapidly with minimal lacing but surprising retention. Nice glow to it.

Aroma is rich and complex, with funky barnyard notes against a variety of bready sugary tones. Slightly musty and apricoty.

The taste is unfortunately staggeringly sweet at first, a light golden brown sugar that overwhelms practically everything. The finish has a slight sour twang to it and a bit of a rusty bitter note, so it's not overpoweringly cloying on the back end, which is really all that keeps this drinkable.

Mouth is fine... holds up well, medium to light body. Sticks a bit long on the tongue.

About halfway through the sweetness, since it's not cloying, is something you adapt to. It doesn't build on itself. That said, it's not something I'd reach for again.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Had a 25cl bottle at the Hopduvel restaurantin Ghent. The beer is sweet and and cidery, but still pleasant and was a decent enough pairing with my beer stew. The aftertaste did leave a decent sour tang, though compared to most lambics this is fairly simple. It had an odd, but interesting, stale bread aroma. Maybe that's supposed to happen with faros. I can't say I know.

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a very nice dark orange-copper color with some decent initial head and some very nice lacing. Very sweet scent, wheat malt with some candy sugar to it, along with a very slight spice that I can't place (pepper, coriander, ???). Great taste, excellent sweet beer with great malt, wheat, and sugar attributes, with just enough hops at the end to keep it from being overly unbalanced; again, a slight spiciness that's just at the edge of my tongue that I can't place. It goes down very smoothly. This would be a great beer for a wine drinker.

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass, at around 50 degrees F. The bottle had a cap, then a cork that had to be withdrawn with a corkscrew.

A: I poured a dark amber somewhat turgid liquor with very tiny bubbles into my glass. It formed a nice, smallish white head that left a light cap. Decent lacing followed the beer down the glass.

S: A strong farmhouse aroma was quite evident, masking a green apple scent with some sweetness on the nose.

T: Apple, pear and a note of honey are forward on the palate, followed by a spiciness leading to a very dry finish. The beer is a study in contrast; it is quite sweet at first, but finishes dry and crisp, seeming really to clean the palate. Also, while sweet, it is simultaneously a bit sour. In many ways it is reminiscent of a dry Normandy cider.

M: The beer is quite light on the tongue, and seems to be very spritzy.

D: Despite being rather complex, the beer is also refreshing and easy to drink.

Overall: This is my first foray into this style, so I cannot compare this to others nor can I rate it on its adherence to style. Standing on its own, I find it to be a very compelling break from the ordinary.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours an almost clear and a darker amber. Nose is like a syrup kind of thing. Flavor is basically like a sweetened beer (which it is.) Fruity tones are mixed in. Mild earthy tones barely show up before being taken over by the sugars again. Feel is slick on liquid and the carbonation is a bit full. It's sweet, but this is very easy to drink.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Appearance: It's mostly clear and copper in color. Not a speck of sediment in the glass. I'm a little surprised by that. It's topped with a vanilla colored head that didn't stick around long. Very light lacing remained on the glass.

Smell: There's quite a few fruity notes that kick it off. Apple, pear, and light cherry. It smells sweet and loaded with sugar. Yeast is very prominent on the nose and really smells nice. That's actually its most appealing characteristic thus far. Smells a little grainy. All in all, it's above average. No better than that. It's not deep and doesn't have any standout qualities that jump out at you.

Taste: This is one seriously sweet beer. Very sugary and fruity. If you're into super sweet beers, you'll probably love it. I'm not. It's fruity and features scents of cherry, apple, and pear. They have a very candy-like flavor. It's a tad tart. Don't get me wrong, it's not a strong tart flavor, but it is there. There's a definite grainy quality to it. I'm not picking up any alcohol, but for a 4% beer, that's not surprising. It has a very sweet, slightly tart finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It has a light body that borders on medium. Carbonation is active, but it remains smooth. The feel is the most impressive aspect of this beer. Drinkability is very average. It's way too sweet. I'll finish the bottle, but it might take me a bit.

Lindemans Faro is above average beer overall. It'd take quite a bit of work to really improve it. The biggest problem is its overly sweet flavor. It's just too much for me. Perhaps that's typical for the style. I don't know. This is my first Faro. If that's the case. I'm not a huge fan. It's worth a try, but not much more than that. I'm pleased to try the style, but it'll be something that I revisit rather infrequently.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

poured this particular one out of a 250 ml bottle into a goblet .

A, a nice copper, amber color to it with little froth almost no carbonation i try to agitate it and got some foam on the walls of the glass . no lacing . it`s well filtered ,clear.

S, i let it warm and then took a good whiff , it`s sweet malt is obvious and sour fruits ,grapes,green apple and flowery hops .

T this is very sweet indeed ,tasty fruit favor yet sour grapes and fresh hops , malt .

M,a sweet pleasant feel almost a lite wine like smoothness ,sweet malty after taste .

D this is a easy beer to drink i`m not disapointed with it`s sweet,yet sour flavor .close to a rose wine although it`s beer.

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

12 ounce capped and corked bottle. Served in a stange glass, the beer pours a hazy dark gold/amber color with an inch and a half frothy white head. Head retention is excellent, lacing is OK. The aroma is sweet and musty, and I can also smell some candy sugar, and somewhat tart fruit. The taste is very, very sweet. Mostly I can taste candy sugar, but there's also a little bit of musty funk and somewhat tart fruit in there too. The problem is after a while the sugary sweetness overpowers the other flavors in the beer. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's very smooth and also very carbonated as lot of bubbles continuously come from the bottom of the glass to the top. The carbonation works great for this beer. Drinkability is decent as it's not too hard to drink, but after a while the sweetness of the beer just gets to be too much for me. This is the first Faro style beer I've tried, and I'd like to try more in the future. I just hope they're not all quite as sweet as this one is. It's not a bad beer, it's just not something I could drink all the time.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Brown 25cl bottle, best before 25th Jan 2009, drank 15th Feb 2009, so slightly older than recommended.

Poured into a 'Mort Subite' flute (twice, it only holds 0.2 Litre.

No cork in my bottle, just a silver foil covering and a normal bottle cap.

Old marmalade orange in colour, with a huge cream coloured head (hence the two pours).

Vinegarous aroma, then farmyards, then marmalade with yeast and sour fruit.

Sweet and sour flavours, tart yet very drinkable. Drys in the mouth, strange and yet interesting qualities. Complexed and confusing. Sticky when spilt, I needed some water after the tasteing, just to cleanse my palate.

Is it too sweet? Most likely yes.

Is it too sour? Most likely yes.

The 25cl bottle was just about the right amount for me. Any more and I'd have started to find fault, any less and I might have missed something.

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans