Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
Ratings: 925 | Reviews: 467
3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours an almost clear and a darker amber. Nose is like a syrup kind of thing. Flavor is basically like a sweetened beer (which it is.) Fruity tones are mixed in. Mild earthy tones barely show up before being taken over by the sugars again. Feel is slick on liquid and the carbonation is a bit full. It's sweet, but this is very easy to drink.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance: It's mostly clear and copper in color. Not a speck of sediment in the glass. I'm a little surprised by that. It's topped with a vanilla colored head that didn't stick around long. Very light lacing remained on the glass.

Smell: There's quite a few fruity notes that kick it off. Apple, pear, and light cherry. It smells sweet and loaded with sugar. Yeast is very prominent on the nose and really smells nice. That's actually its most appealing characteristic thus far. Smells a little grainy. All in all, it's above average. No better than that. It's not deep and doesn't have any standout qualities that jump out at you.

Taste: This is one seriously sweet beer. Very sugary and fruity. If you're into super sweet beers, you'll probably love it. I'm not. It's fruity and features scents of cherry, apple, and pear. They have a very candy-like flavor. It's a tad tart. Don't get me wrong, it's not a strong tart flavor, but it is there. There's a definite grainy quality to it. I'm not picking up any alcohol, but for a 4% beer, that's not surprising. It has a very sweet, slightly tart finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It has a light body that borders on medium. Carbonation is active, but it remains smooth. The feel is the most impressive aspect of this beer. Drinkability is very average. It's way too sweet. I'll finish the bottle, but it might take me a bit.

Lindemans Faro is above average beer overall. It'd take quite a bit of work to really improve it. The biggest problem is its overly sweet flavor. It's just too much for me. Perhaps that's typical for the style. I don't know. This is my first Faro. If that's the case. I'm not a huge fan. It's worth a try, but not much more than that. I'm pleased to try the style, but it'll be something that I revisit rather infrequently.

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

poured this particular one out of a 250 ml bottle into a goblet .

A, a nice copper, amber color to it with little froth almost no carbonation i try to agitate it and got some foam on the walls of the glass . no lacing . it`s well filtered ,clear.

S, i let it warm and then took a good whiff , it`s sweet malt is obvious and sour fruits ,grapes,green apple and flowery hops .

T this is very sweet indeed ,tasty fruit favor yet sour grapes and fresh hops , malt .

M,a sweet pleasant feel almost a lite wine like smoothness ,sweet malty after taste .

D this is a easy beer to drink i`m not disapointed with it`s sweet,yet sour flavor .close to a rose wine although it`s beer.

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%

12 ounce capped and corked bottle. Served in a stange glass, the beer pours a hazy dark gold/amber color with an inch and a half frothy white head. Head retention is excellent, lacing is OK. The aroma is sweet and musty, and I can also smell some candy sugar, and somewhat tart fruit. The taste is very, very sweet. Mostly I can taste candy sugar, but there's also a little bit of musty funk and somewhat tart fruit in there too. The problem is after a while the sugary sweetness overpowers the other flavors in the beer. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's very smooth and also very carbonated as lot of bubbles continuously come from the bottom of the glass to the top. The carbonation works great for this beer. Drinkability is decent as it's not too hard to drink, but after a while the sweetness of the beer just gets to be too much for me. This is the first Faro style beer I've tried, and I'd like to try more in the future. I just hope they're not all quite as sweet as this one is. It's not a bad beer, it's just not something I could drink all the time.

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Brown 25cl bottle, best before 25th Jan 2009, drank 15th Feb 2009, so slightly older than recommended.

Poured into a 'Mort Subite' flute (twice, it only holds 0.2 Litre.

No cork in my bottle, just a silver foil covering and a normal bottle cap.

Old marmalade orange in colour, with a huge cream coloured head (hence the two pours).

Vinegarous aroma, then farmyards, then marmalade with yeast and sour fruit.

Sweet and sour flavours, tart yet very drinkable. Drys in the mouth, strange and yet interesting qualities. Complexed and confusing. Sticky when spilt, I needed some water after the tasteing, just to cleanse my palate.

Is it too sweet? Most likely yes.

Is it too sour? Most likely yes.

The 25cl bottle was just about the right amount for me. Any more and I'd have started to find fault, any less and I might have missed something.

3.93/5  rDev +8%

Faro Green bottle 355ml with black and silver label. Poured into a pint glass at Winking Lizard. This is a "Live" review.

A Orange brown body under a minimal head that dissipates quickly. Remaining is just a ring around the top...kind of bubbly. Nothing much more than that.

S Sweet malt, wheat. Nothing too dramatic.

T Sweetness in front to a high degree that I did not get in the smell. It has a LOT in common with the other Lambics in its sweetness. It reminds me of a syrupy nectar really.

M Full like candied syrup, like a sweet syrup only thinner.

D Great and if it was not so expensive ($7.25 for this 12 oz. bottle!) then I could easily drink many more of them.

Notes: It was cool to have one of this in a bottle at the Winking Lizard. I most likely would not have otherwise had a Faro so I am glad that I did.

3.61/5  rDev -0.8%

Amber color; clear. No head at all.

Candy sugar aroma with a slight sourness.

The flavor is sugary; no sign of the sourness. This is also a full bodied beer with nearly no carbonation. Very much like double bock and less like a lambic. A pretty good beer although it is contrary to the usual taste I like.

3.97/5  rDev +9.1%

25 cl bottle (tiny!), purchased somewhere in Paris. "consumer avant de 18 mars, 2008" dating on the rear label. The nose here was of orange, nuts, earthiness, and Grand Marnier liquor. A moderate pour revealed a minor head, next to no lacing, but plenty of bubbles continuing to rise to the top. More earth, orange, honey, sweet and sour with more and more sour building up. I also pick up some mustiness and minor continued funk in the finish. Wish I could get a regular supply of this in the U.S.A. Nice dessert/aperitif beer

3.12/5  rDev -14.3%

Not a lambic fan but a friend offered me a bottle and I didn't deny the opportunity to try something new.

Poured a light amber tan with a thin half-finger of white head. Head departs rather quickly, leaving no lacing.

Smells of sugar and fruit, very sweet.

Taste is extremely sweet, to sweet for me, and the sweetness overpowers what subtle hints of fruit and maybe brown sugar there are.

Mouthfeel is very crisp and sharp due to the high amount of carbonation, almost seems like this beer is a carbonated candy liqour as opposed to a beer.

Drinkability is average at best. This is way to sweet for me to drink more than once and I'm not a fan of lambics to begin with.

3.2/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A brown beer with a settling head that is creamy.

Smell of candisugar and a mild tartness and a bit of wood. There is something unfresh in the smell, which mostly reminds me of old flowerwater.

Taste is intensily sweet. The candi sweetness almost completely overrules the tartness. There is some tartness, but hidden in the back. The sugar makes the beer's mouthfeel very syrupy and hard to drink. For a newbie (lambic) beer drinker this might be a very good beer, but not for me.

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not a big fan of lambics, and although Lindemans is a very decent brewery, faro isn't it's flagship beer definetly. it seemed rather thin and sour, deighner of a soda than of a good beer. poor smell, but the taste is too sweet too sour. not my particular taste in beer.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

A clean amber beer. Has a small off white head. The aroma is sweet and sour at the same time. With the candy sweet dancing back and forth with the tempting sour notes. The candy sweetness starts the flavor that has hints of caramel apple. Followed by a nice tart finish. There are also hints of tabacco as it warms and a light astringency.

3.52/5  rDev -3.3%

Small corked and capped bottle, poured into a Lindemans flute.

Dark yellow with reddish highlights, it has a quickly dissipating off-white head.
The aroma is actually quite good; the sweet fruitiness still leaves some space to the more typical mustiness and leather-like gueuze smell.
Light bodied, it is unfortunately too sweet, and although some gueuze-like funkiness and earthiness comes through, the excessive amount of sugar limits the drinkability - a lot. I have had better, more balanced faros.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

250ml bottle
4.20% ABV

I tried this beer on February 29, 2008 at 'The Beer Bistro' in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer poured a translucent dark red with a thin white head. The aroma was fruity, with very little if any hints of malt or hops. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied, and very champagne like. The flavour also had a champagne feel, and was very sweet with some subtle sour hints to balance out the sweetness.

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle courtesy of thewolf: Poureda hazy orange color lambic with a medium size foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma consists of sweet notes courtesy of the candi sugar with some light sour traces and some light tart notes. Taste is also dominated by some sweet notes with light sour and tart notes. Light filtration with some great carbonation provide an easily enjoyable beer that would be even better in my backyard during a hot summer afternoon.

3.05/5  rDev -16.2%

My first faro, I've been wanting to try this style for years now. Not easy to come by in my neck of the woods. It's toffee colored with a nice thin head and no lace to speak of. The smell is yeast, horse blanket, and fresh earth. Very unusual...sort of the beer equivalent of meat that's "gamey". The taste is very sweet up front, with mellow fruits and a earthy background. The mouthfeel is syrupy, soft, and a bit too thick overall. The drinkability is really limited by the sweetness. Unless you're hypoglycemic, this is not the session beer for you.

3.32/5  rDev -8.8%

The first of the style for me, I had to seek this one out, as it is not readily available in my neck of the woods. I had been eager to try it, so I decided to pop one open last night and try it out. The pour was rather nice, with a caramel colored light brown liquid falling into the glass. Lots of lighter tones permeating throughout. A very interesting head of white foam formed quickly with lots of carbonation bubbling up toward the surface. Unfortunately, it did not last long and was quickly replaced by a thin line of white around the edges of the glass, and a small amount of side glass lace. There were still some small bubbles stretching to the surface that could be seen through the semi transparent liquid. Interesting look for sure.

The first thing I picked up from the aroma was the beautiful smell of funky yeast, wow do I love that smell, it really sets me off when ever I run across it. Nice sour apple and pear aromas start to come through then and are mixing in with a candied apple and sugary smell that as it warms starts to take over the profile a bit, but was still leaving behind the nice funky notes way in the back. The flavor, on the other hand, was an utter disappointment. Everything was awash in sickingly sweet candy notes. Now this was not terrible by any means, it was just a shame, as the sweetness was so overpowering that it was nearly impossible to really appreciate the apple and pear notes that lie underneath of it. Lots of honey infused flavors here now, really sweet. With some residual funky yeast, flavors were there if you really looked for them, but again, buried under caramelized candy like sugar flavors. The feel was light, and a little slick, with surprisingly a lack of carbonation, which I did not think, would be an issue. It was very light and airy though, but I could not stomach another one, as it was just too sweet for me.

I do not know about this one. I am a big fan of the sour beers, so seeing this one overrun with sugar disappointed me, but then again it is the style, just not one I overall think I will enjoy. No need to slam it, as I am sure it is a fine example of the style. It is definitely complex and well crafted, just not for me. If the honey soaked candy sugar type fruit beers is your thing, this one is right up your alley.

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%

375ml corked and capped bottle bought from The Vineyard, Belfast...

Poured a nice coppery orange colour. Slightly off white head poured big and foamy with a pocked marked top then faded slowly to wispy covering... lots of small carbonation bubbles rush to the surface... lots of sticky lacing...

Aroma - Good amount of sour lambic funk backed with a light candy sugar sweetness, some vinegar notes, salty traces, sour apple and lemon tart fruitiness, some biscuit notes, some grassiness, wet hay...

Taste - Loads of (overly ?) sweet candy sugar, honey and caramel notes, lightly toasted bread, some faint funkiness but this is pretty much obscured by the sweetness, stewed apples, some light lemon...

Feel - Smooth and creamy... light / medium bodied... pretty refreshing when slightly chilled but way too sweet to be very drinkable. A 375ml bottle was almost too much to take...

Overall - Decent enough but just way too sweet... worth a try though...

In my opinion this is a very underated variety of lambic out there but it is not really available in the U.S. so you have to really seak these out if you want to try them. I was lucky enough to taste a few with family. The beer poured a golden color with a very slight head. The nose is very sweet and citrusy as expected. For some the taste may be too sweet but I really enjoy it in moderation.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

On tap at the Poechenellekelder in Brussels.

A huge, rocky white head shakes side to side in the glass as our waiter hurriedly runs it over to the table. The body has two tones: a deep amber colour on top and a lighter, tawny yellow underneath. Some - but in no way complete - clarity. The complexion has a creamy look to it. Plenty of lacing, top to bottom, circle the glass like topography lines on a map.

A soft spoken, deliciously sweet aroma. It smells just like the boiling rock candy used in production. The aroma does fair warning of the sweetness that will ensue. No spice in the nose.

The sugar is felt in the mouth, especially in a "tooth-decaying" sense. The texture is very smooth and it is refreshing, but only in small quantity. With such sweetness the drinkability wears out after only one. Even the best Faros aren't that special.

The candi sugar seems to numb notes of apple and pear. There is plenty of sugar where in standard lambics there would be 'funk'. The flavour is very light, which I suppose by design is to keep the Faro enjoyable. The finish has an almost sucking dry finish.

The Lindemans Faro seems to capture the style quite well, unfortunately I don't feel the style is all that great. While Faros are suppose to be more "palatable" then other lambics, I would tend to disagree. I will grant them being more "agreeable" to the average drinker, but they certainly are nowhere near as exciting.

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

This was the first faro I'd ever tasted, and several of it's friends were soon to follow. This was close to becoming my favorite style until I re-tasted a Double Stout and remembered why I love them.

A: The Lindemans isn't made from an oude gueuze, but it's good none the less. It is very carbonated (probably force carbonated before bottling) and the bubbles rise quickly through the amber orangish body and up to the thick fluffy white head.

S: It has a classic gueuze sour aroma but with a slight sweetness to it. I definitely love that aroma.

T: Awesome taste. It was my first faro and not the best I had of the style, but the style itself is so damn tasty and this is no exception. It is sweet initially but with the constant tart sourness in the background.

M: Fairly light bodied but the carbonation makes it seem a bit heavier I think. Very smooth beer though.

D: I'm not sure how many I could drink in a single setting, but I will be sad to leave Belgium to return to the land of no faros. I will be looking for this at home.

3.57/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy cherrywood color with a bubbly, off-white head. The head gurgles down to fizzy ring of light foam around the glass.

Smell: Pungently acidic fruit aromas. Citrus fruit and some cherry, spruced up with a peppery spice. Decadent, cakey malts work their way in to produce a robust pastry-like presence in the nose.

Taste: Abundant fruit flavors with tastes of rock candy. Cherry, citrus fruits, melon, and a peppery zest. Evokes a mildly sour corn syrup character on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied with a vigorous fizz. Leaves a sticky sweet coating on the lips and the roof of the mouth. A slightly lip-puckering sourness characterizes the finish.

Drinkability: Tasty, albeit tremendously sweet. Develops a sort of saccharine, seltzer water quality toward the end of the glass. Would make a great brunch beer paired with the right cuisine. Quite an interesting beer, but not one I'd make a regular selection.

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a cloudy deep golden amber with a huge fluffy white head that laces well. Aroma of pear, green apple citrus and hint of lambic funk and sourness. Taste was a sweet front followed by some lambic tartness poking it's way through the sweetness. Finish was refreshingly crisp. Mouthfeel was smooth and slightly sticky. A good refreshing beer, but I prefer unsweetened lambics as a rule.

2.39/5  rDev -34.3%

25 cl bottle tasted in the hotel room on my wife and my recent trip to Belgium and the Netherlands. 2.50 euros at a local souvenier/beer store in Brussels, near the Mannekin Pis.

Color- a moderately clear amber-brown with no head or carbonation whatsoever. Aroma is of a basic sour lambic, nothing special, but it did get me interested and excited for something good. The aroma isn't nearly as full and rich and sour as the Oud Beersel Geuze earlier in the day, but oh, well. The flavor is sugar. And sugar. And sugar. And then underneath, some oud bruin/flemish red sourness- not lambic sour, but something else. Keeps it from being awful, but that's not saying much.

This is my first of the style, so I can't compare it to much, but if this is typical, no thanks.

2.82/5  rDev -22.5%

33cl bottle, corked and capped, from one of hundreds of bottle shops in Brussels. Poured into wide-mouthed wine glass in the hotel room.

Deep copper to light brown, hazy, opaque, almost dirty looking, light head, no lacing.

Smell: sweet and tangy, a little sour.

Taste: sweet, tangy, just barely hints at the funk of lambic, the added sugar overpowers it. Some slight soury tang, cork, leather.

Mouth: thick and viscous and full, almost unpleasantly so.

Drinkability: eh. It's something I could sit and drink a couple of, but it's so underwhelming, why would I want to? Just a mediocre offering from a place that brewery mastered transatlantic marketing. Fortunately, this one isn't yet suckering people into paying $10 for it in the states. (It's about 1 euro in most Belgian supermarkets.)

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans