Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Faro |  4.20% ABV

ABV varies slightly

(Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Exiled

11-24-2011 02:07:35 | More by Exiled
DoktorZee

Alberta (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a fancy bottle (silver foil top, cork under the cap!) into a schooner. No obvious best before on the bottle.

A - clear amber with an initially huge, fluffy head (2 fingers) that leaves behind some chunky lacing.

S - sour apple, yeasty and a hint of skunk in the background, slightly astringent

T - exceptionally refreshing: controlled tartness runs throughout the entire experience, sour apple, ripe fruit, with a hint of skunk in the background, some orange rind on the back of the tongue. Just a hint of initial sweetness is totally destroyed by the sour.

M - light with an explosive shot of carbonation on each fresh swig, sourness sticks in the back of the throat with a vengeance

D - quite drinkable if you can adapt to the sourness

Very interesting and refreshing. Not yet familiar with the Faro style of Lambic, but I'll definitely be researching this style. This beer is delightful if you're a sour fan. Not for the faint of heart!

[Very interesting reading the other reviews as I don't get the extreme sweetness - it's there initially, but for me is totally destroyed by the sour elements. It's not the bottle as my wife found it super sweet. Perhaps I'm a freak!]

[After a bit of research it seems to be the difference between a sip and a swig - if you're doing small sips, this seems really sweet; if you take a few big swigs the sourness just sticks in your throat and dominates. Interesting implication for tasting styles.]

11-22-2011 21:11:32 | More by DoktorZee

11-18-2011 20:32:11 | More by I2uss
celticfutblclub

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a lindemans flute glass

A - copper brown body with lively carbonation. nice thin champagne style head with great retention and lacing.

S - vinegar sour apples and oak.

T - candied sugar, sour apples and a hint of vinegar in there. a bit too sugary sweet for me. still pretty good.

M - light bodied with low carbonation on the tongue. some tartness but not overpowering by any means.

O - its a decent beer and can see why its popular. would probably be more into this on a hot day but again i know the point is the candied sugar but its just too much for my tastes.

11-16-2011 23:27:32 | More by celticfutblclub
codynevels

11-16-2011 21:26:58 | More by codynevels
J4de

France

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

37.5cL bottle poured into a snifter at 6°c

Appearance - 3 fingers of crackling head. Intense light carbonation that erupts through the froth. Nice polished mahogany colour.

Smell - At first it smells very strongly of cider and apples. After a few sips, the sweetness is replaced by a rancid butter smell - not very appealing.

Taste - Acidy sweet apple taste even more than I expected. Overpowering and made it hard to finish the glass.

Mouthfeel - Leaves a nice coating and is rather fizzy but a few sips and the astringency of the sugar leaves the mouth very dry.

Overall - I knew what I was getting in to, not being a great fan of sweet beers. So I rated it on the generous side - it's brewed to taste the way it does. The sweetness of the beer affects the smell and I found it rather off-putting.

11-16-2011 16:57:40 | More by J4de

11-14-2011 16:13:27 | More by justintcoons
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +24%

A - light caramel in color, resembling cream soda, two fingers of frothy white head, fed by steady swift carbonation

S - sour aromas dominate, mostly apple, grapes, and bosc pears, a dry champagne overall quality

T - holy jumpin'! I was totally prepared for a sour beer. This is my first Faro as they arent easy to find and it is not what I expected. Sweetness hit my unexpecting lips and I immediately knew I would like this beer. Luscious fruits abound, sweet green apples, ripe but not overripe pears, asian pears come to mind. Dry muscat-esque champagne grapes are included.

M&D - a contradictory beer, both dry and juicy on the tongue, sweetness in spades, light and effervescent, very easy to drink, a good introduction to a new Belgian style

11-13-2011 02:51:16 | More by sinstaineddemon
Heavenisbeer

Georgia

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

Tulip.

A: Opaque, tea-like brown. Very little carb, with a thin white ring lining the edge of the glass. Little to no lacing.

S: Watery. Very light touch of sourness, and a vague trace of prunes and soy sauce. This is my first faro, but the nose is not what I expected from this style.

T: Okay, I wanted to try this style, but the candied sugar addition seemed to me like a good way of ruining a perfectly fine lambic. The taste fully supports my preconceived notions. The funky must of the lambic peaks through the out-of-place sweetener, clashing in the process. A strong phenol presence. Off cider. Overly sweet fruit.

M: Not bad, not great. Just there. A little dryness towards the back end.

O: I understand that the beer needs to be appreciated in the context of the style, so I will judge it accordingly. But I will not be drinking a faro again.

11-13-2011 02:31:28 | More by Heavenisbeer
redleaves

Maine

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

This bottle is well over a year old. Poured dark amber, not much head and disappears quick. Carbonation dissipates quick as well, probably the age. Very sweet on the nose, tart and caramel apple. The flavor is very along the lines if a caramel apple, slightly sour and tart. Barnyard as well. The caramel apple is amazingly strong considering there is no fruit. Not dry enough, I wish it would dry up faster on the tongue, but it is supposed to be sweet. Very nice and refreshing. My wife is a huge fan and I'm becoming one as well. I'm going to hunt down some more Faros to try after this introduction.

11-09-2011 04:24:56 | More by redleaves
corby112

3.05/5  rDev -16%

Pours a dark, hazy plum color with amber edges and a fizzy half finger head and that quickly settles into a thin ring. Not much in the way of lacing.

Syrupy sweet aroma with some slight earthy funky. Lots of sweet artificial medicine and candy syrup with some pale malts and dark fruits.

On the lighter end of medium bodied and very sweet with lots of artificial sweetness. Lots of candy sugar and syrup with subtle tart funk and sweet dark fruit. Hints of cherry, grape and other dark berries produce an overwhelming sweetness that lingers into a sling dry finish.

11-01-2011 08:38:02 | More by corby112
nickhiller

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

A: apricot, relatively flat, head- and lace-less.

S: a little funky, some sweet apple, astringent minerals.

T: very similar to a sweet hard cider, a little sour acid on the finish tastes like lemon juice.

M: medium-bodied, sweet sugary, smooth with a slight tingling from the carbonation.

O: I didn't find this one as unpleasant as some of the other reviews. It doesn't look or smell great, but it's smooth and has a delicate sourness. A tad too sweet, but that's par for the course with this style.

10-31-2011 23:15:34 | More by nickhiller
rfgetz

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a caramel tinted amber color, relatively clear with some active carbonation, bubbly with a decent cap of prickly off-white froth, little retention or lacing. Scent brings funky and earthy yeast notes with fruity like candy sweetness in the background. Taste leads with a big rush of candied sugar that becomes somewhat cloying as the bottle approaches its finish, tart and funk notes seem aggressive and blend with the sugar to produce an odd flavor, light vinous notes... Medium bodied, active carbonation, lingering finish. Overall, strong sweetness and lacks complexity of fruit lambics and subtlety of gueze.

10-28-2011 13:15:02 | More by rfgetz
Rifugium

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

First had: on tap at Teresa's, Wayne, PA

This was my first sampling of this style, I believe. Poured into a Lindemans flute glass, a thick burnt caramel color with a few stray bubbles gracing the surface. Very sweet nose, candi, candy, and raisins. Taste was obviously very sweet as well, candy-like and fruity, even though there isn't actually any fruit in it. RAISINS permeated my palate, with strawberries and white wine coming in mid-palate, and sweet dark sugars finishing off, with a hint of oak. Mouthfeel was about medium, with a syrupy sweetness I just didn't care too much for. Good for a glass, but that's probably it for me. I'd be interested in sampling other brewers' cracks at the style.

10-25-2011 01:28:26 | More by Rifugium
MsRif

3.45/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this at Teresa's Next Door on 10/24/11.

Poured an orange color...very little head and almost no lacing. Seriously looked like soda and honestly, it smelled like it too. Very, very sweet smell...to me it had an aroma of cherries and strawberries. My husband thought he smelled raisins. The taste was even sweeter than the aroma. Honestly, it tasted like candy. For the style it was good, but you really have to be in the mood to drink something like this I would think. Definitely very fruity, and I still got notes of cherries and strawberries in the taste. There was a tiny bit of bitterness to finish, but the fruity sweetness overpowered my palate.

I noticed a lot of carbonation, and overall it felt thin/medium. It was good as a dessert beer, but I would never drink this again unless I was in the same scenario...finishing with it. It's a little harsh on your palate and I wouldn't want to drink this and continue on with anything else.

10-24-2011 23:19:32 | More by MsRif
CaptJackHarkness

4.83/5  rDev +33.1%

This is a totaly new style for me. This seems more like a cider or wine than beer! Especially, as there was cork under the wrap and cap!

Aroma was fruity like wine. Poured clear pale coppery with thin creamy beige head . Head short lived. Some lacing of glass. Taste is sweet, sweet, sweet! Liquid candied sweet potato! Slightly fizzy soda like feel and pleasant sweet aftertaste. Expensive, but worth it.

10-21-2011 20:59:36 | More by CaptJackHarkness
orangesol

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

I was standing at Al's of Hampden trying to decide what to get to drink when he told me I should just get one of these because he was trying to kick the keg. I was not expecting a full pint of it but oh well here we go....

A - Pours murky brownish orange with a small half finger tall white head leaving very little lace down the glass.

S - Smells of musty basement funk, lots of sweetness, and some light salt air. Some light fruity aroma's are present as well but I can't really detect what they are through all the other things going on.

T - Starts off with lots of candied sugar sweetness slowly giving way to a mix of light fruit, dulled tartness, and even more sweetness. Some mineral like qualities creep in toward the end but the sweetness drowns them out quickly. The finish is, you guessed it, more sweetness with some light funk, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, slightly funk, feel that stays on the pallet for some time after consumption.

O - I had trouble finishing this glass. I have had a few faro's before but for some reason this one really got to me. I won't be getting this one again any time soon.

10-17-2011 23:12:25 | More by orangesol
MoreThanWine

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

I'm charmed by this beer. Poured a 1.5" off-white head. Looks clear but it has an interesting burnt orange color verging on amber. Smells mildly sour. Taste has both sweet and sour thanks to the Belgian candi sugar and the lambic style of fermentation, respectively. And it has some intriguing hard to define tastes and qualities.

10-14-2011 11:23:28 | More by MoreThanWine