1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Faro LambicLindemans Faro Lambic

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Faro |  4.20% ABV

ABV varies slightly

(Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002)

This was my first Faro Lambic. It was corked and capped. Had a clear dark amber color with a very thin effervescent head. The taste was very malty and sweet. No real hop flavors at all. It reminded me very much of something between Biere De Garde and sparkling grape juice. A strong grape flavor. Medium body sweet aftertaste.

Having tried a gueze in the past I was pleasantly surprised at how drinkable this beer was.

erlenmeyer316, Nov 13, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

Capped and Corked. This was one interesting beer. Never had this style so not sure if this is how it is supposed to taste.

It is very sweet and it reminds me of a malt beverage then a beer. It is carmel in color with a light head. The smell is like a prickely pear.

The tastes is sharp and sweet. Mouthfeel is sort of tart but at the same time not like a sour.

Worth trying for the style it's okay for looking for a sweet beer.

Casey10, Nov 10, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Found this at GE Market District-certainly the easiest to find brew of the style and my first.

A- Body is a completely transparent slightly dark caramel hue. Pours with <1/2 finger foamy white head that eventually fades to a thin collar with no lacing left behind in the glass.

S- Nose is of moderate strength and offers a good bit of funk-cheesecloth, a hint of vinegar, and a sugary sweetness-that seems to be more of regular sweetness than belgian candi sugar

T-Taste is much stronger than the smell. The initial flavor of of juicy white grapes, a very mild accent of vinegar, and a hint of cheese. The finish adds a lot of sweetness-almost cloyingly so- to the flavors already described. What lingers is a mild combination of everything described.

M- medium to high clarbonation and a medium weight quite juicy body initially with a slightly dry finish.

D- This is an interesting brew overall. My first of the style-and I dont really depend on Lindemans to demonstrate the best example-but I have a good idea of what its about. The flavor profile is slightly gueze-like but has a much lighter character and is much sweeter.

PittBeerGirl, Nov 07, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +8%

Drank from my Duvel Tulip

A - Pours a slightly hazey copper colour with a head that dies quickly and laces.

S - Very earthy and slightly sweet.

T - Quite a sweet beginning that moves to a somewhat sourness.

M - Light body with medium carbonation

D - Very respectable Lambic without bells and whistles

eric5bellies, Nov 06, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -9.9%

Not really too learned on this style but after reading up a bit here goes;

appearance; hazy copper with a white fizzy head. Dissipates to froathy rim around the inside of the glass with constant fizzy bubbles rising from the center.

smell; musty and sour, with hints of sweetness.

taste; personally didn't like it much but keeping the style in mind it was quite good. The raw yeasty sourness of a lambic was there with a tart bite in the finish. When it first hits the palate one can taste the carmalized sugars. The two flavors are well blended and represent what the style is about, I suppose, correct me if I'm wrong. A pleasant raw yeast hangs around in the aftertaste. Sour apples and a hint of bitterness would best describe.

mouthfeel; really too fizzy, like carbonated water but sticky and not by any means crisp.

drinkability; quite easy to drink but the sweetness can be a little too much.

In accordance to the style this is quality but I have a hard time even considering this beer, just taste kind of like a girly drink. The tart bitterness, although very slight, is all I really liked of this beer.

Sachsenfreude, Oct 26, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -65.7%

I got this primarily to finally try a Faro. And that's what I did! I have nothing else good to say about it!

Pours a ... you know what, let's get right down to it, Sometimes, you gotta give people the bad news with no preamble.

This is pure piss-awful. Jesus H. Christ. A horrible surgar-y cereal graininess lingers as one experiences Belgian candi gone amuck. Sour? I don't know, there's a bit of musty rancid-ness on the aftertaste, but the horrible sweetness obliterates all. At least with Lindemans' fruit offerings, you can say: "well, I knew I was getting raspberry syrup." There's absolutely no warning with this foul smelling, over-sweetened mess.

AYAIYAYAYAYHYAIYAYAA

Overlord, Oct 23, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is my first example of the style, keep that in mind while reading this. Poured into long stemmed white wine glass, closest I had to a flute. Poured a nice medium brown/amber with an inch of off-white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing.

The aroma was mostly malty grains with a nice tang. There was an underlying sweetness that only showed up if you looked for it. On the tongue, that sweetness was more prevalent than the aroma led me to expect. The malt was there, as was that mild tang.

The body was decent, perhaps a bit thinner than I would have liked. Drinkability was very good, I could eaqsily have a coupler of these after dinner. I had a couple of lemon cookies while I had this one and they went together very well.

Overall, a decent brew, worth trying when you see it.

beertunes, Oct 22, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -7.1%

From bottle into a flute

A - Dark copper / brown body with a white head resting on top. Lots of lacing on the glass

S - Sweet notes mingle with earthy aromas and a bit of funk

T - Pretty sweet. Reminds me of a wine almost. A hint of funkiness but that quickly runs away. oaky, earthy taste but mostly sweet covering some funk.

M - light bodied with a good amount of carbonation

D - pretty drinkable. A decent beer for sure but I'm not blown away by this. Never had any others in this style though so I don't know if it is the style or beer. For the price its worth trying however. On a side note my girlfriend loved this beer and wants to pick up some the next time we go to the store.

jpmclaug, Oct 21, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

A - Amber brown with hints of orange when held up to light. Rather clear. Head is about one finger thick and egg-shell white. Fades to a thin cap and leaves thin rings of lace.

S - Pale malts and underlying aroma of wild lambic yeasts. Sugary sweetness comes through more and more as the beer warms, but the barnyard aromas remain as the most dominant.

T - Not near as sweet as I expected it to be. Pale malts and wild yeasts with a barnyard funkiness. Candi sugar certainly provides a balancing sweetness to the funk but is not at all overwhelming.

M/D - Light and crisp with a nice puckering sensation. Surprisingly easy drinking.

ckeegan04, Oct 20, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -11.3%

In the 80's, I lived on Martha's vineyard and there was a restaurant called The Brass Rail and they had a 'Round the World' club, which was just as it sounds. You got a card and you got a hole punched for every country you 'visited'. If you went all around the world by the end of the Summer, you got a t-shirt.

I remember that some countries had more than one option - Ireland, for example, offered Harp, and Guiness. I also remember that the only option for Belgium was Lindeman's Framboise or Kriek. That's it.

This was back in my college days, and we thought ourselves contrarian renegades because we drank the occasional Heineken dark. We didn't know what Belgium had been offering for hundreds of years. We put off checking off Begium because the idea of a Raspberry flavored beer was just crazy. We didn't know what it was, but after we tried it, we never wanted to visit a "Lambic" again.

If we wanted that, we'd just dink Champale.

So here we are, 25 years later and I'm marginally more knowledgeable and versed in my beer lore, and everyone is going on about the Cantillon and the Faro et al. So I'm trying to be open-minded, even though the more beers I try, the more I am defining my very narrow zone of preferences. So I grabbed a bottle of this at the Market District for about $5 to give it a whirl.

Poured into a Chimay goblet.

A. Reddish brown, translucent - clearer than expected, frothy bubbly head that dissipates fast like a sparkling wine.

B. The smell is reminiscent of sour beer the day after a frat party.

C. I understand and appreciate the nature of the wild yeast and the spontaneous fermentation, and that makes me want to be more lenient and respectful in my review. But this is a really sweet and sour drink that I am finding it hard to avoid disliking. The similarities to Champale don't end with my offhand joke above. if you like cider and fruity beers, I'm sure there are better and worse types. If you don't like them, there only worse and worse.

M. Mouthfeel is more carbonated than I like, but acceptable in a vinegary way.

D. One would be my limit for a night, and then only for dessert or after a meal. Not a warm-up bee, or a cool down beer - this taste is too prominent to compliment most foods - maybe it would do well with a sweet chocolate.

Seriously, it wasn't that bad of a beer. I'd take this over most over-hopped IPA's any day. But I'm not buying any more of these anytime soon.

radioscooter, Oct 16, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +3%

Fills the glass with a dark copper colored body with only a tiny bit of haze. Capped by a light and airy white head, about an inch thick at first, but fades to leave thin lace behind.

Aroma is a bit funky, but with a much sweeter aroma than your typical lambic. The candi sugar does seem to compliment the lemony/acidic sour aroma well.

First taste reveals a delicate balance between sweet and sour. Sugary and fruity, like many non-wild Belgian styles, but balanced with a tart and sour yeasty flavor. Overall, its a pretty enjoyable desert beer, but almost a bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel is a bit bubbly, but very smooth and silky. This might be my favorite aspect of this beer.

Kinsman, Oct 14, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -14%

A-pours a hazed dark cider color with a dark tan colored thin bubbly head.

S-the nose has some earthy tones to it as the sweetness takes over, a slightly artificial cherry dominates with touches of sugar and honey.

T-the taste is even more singular, very light earthy tones an almost all sweetness with a slightly artificial taste. nothing offesnsive, loads of red cherries with touches of sugary honey and notes of cider.

M-medium syrupy body that doesn't have the carbonation to back it up, extremely juicy throughout but no driness what-so-ever.

D-extremely simple and straightforward, very sweet and somewhat artificial. exactly what was expected, would be enjoyable by anyone that likes lindemans.

cpetrone84, Oct 11, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +8%

Cork, cap, and foil covered bottle opens with a pfft and a slightly sour, funky aroma. Pours a dark amber, fairly translucent, with a reddish-white head. In the glass the aroma is sweet, fruity.

The taste starts of distinctly sweet. Halfway through the sourness begins to kick in and there's a pang of something sharp, almost like a spice, that sort of shoots through your mouth. As it warms, the Brett really comes through more along with a sort of "grainy" flavor. Carbonation is strong, but nonetheless this beer really coats the tongue in the finish.

Oddly refreshing in the same way that lemonade can be refreshing. But that tongue-coating effect would prevent me from having more than one.

Errto, Oct 08, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -8%

Appearance -- Pours a garnet hue with a slim beige head. Meh.

Smell -- Sugar, cracked wheat, pale and crystal malt, lambic yeastiness, mild tartness and funk. Overall, sweet and grainy.

Taste -- Sugary sweet up front with candi sugar and maltiness. The classic lambic acidity and tartness are incredibly subdued into a fruit juice-like twang and a dash of acetic sourness. Has more in common with a sugar-sweetened malt beverage than a classic lambic.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body with mild carbonation.

Drinkability -- I can't see myself drinking this again. Depth of flavor was pretty low and it was so sugary that it tasted more like Smirnoff Ice + cranberry cocktail than lambic + candi sugar. I suggest that you try this if only for the fact that you're likely to never find another Faro stateside, but keep your hopes realistic.

yeahnatenelson, Oct 07, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

The beer pours a dark amber/brown color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice crystal malt and candy sugar scent along with a mild lambic yeast sourness. The taste is good as well. It has a pleasant pale and crystal malt flavor and with a sweet candi sugar character. It goes down smooth with a mild sour finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an easier "lambic" beer to swallow for those who don't care for the more sour, traditional versions. The candy sugar adds just enough sweetener to make it more accesible.

WesWes, Oct 05, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a ruby brown with a light skim of a head and some spotty lacing.

Not getting much scent at all. Some mustiness, funky sour apple and apple skin elements. Some yeast and grain.

First sip is pleasant, a balance between sour and sweet. Tart lambic elements and a candied sugar follow-up. As it progresses, the sugar gets to be too much. Not a hint of bitterness. Some sugary sour apple elements in the finish. Some acidic sour flavors as well. The secret to this style is balance. This one is just a bit off-balance.

Medium bodied, somewhat sticky, but good carbonation.

Overall, a very tasty brewed style. I want to try different brewers to see how this varies. The sour is great and the sweet helps balance it, but it is almost to sweet. Worth a try for sure. I enjoyed it.

OtherShoe2, Oct 02, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz. bottle received as a extra from Exiled. Thanks a bunch man!

A- Pours an orange-tinted brown with a finger and a half of white head. Leaves some pretty nice lacing.

S- Some tart yeasty funk with some grassy notes and some lemony citrus. Reminds me of other Lindeman's products I've had.

T- Starts with a slight tartness before the candi sugar takes over. Very sugary sweetness plays with the malt and yeast throughout. I like it, but definitely could get cloying.

M/D- Smooth and fizzy mouthfeel makes this go down pretty easy, but the sweetness gets to be a bit much eventually.

My first Faro, and I'm glad to have tried it. A very unique style, I've never tasted a beer where sugar takes such a prominent role. Works fairly well with the tartness of the lambic. I'd say its worth a try.

geryeb624, Sep 29, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a flute.

3.5 A: Lightly hazed light orange color. Two and a half fingers of frothy yellowish white head with near average retention and moderate amounts of lacing.

4.0 S: Strange, but nice. Lots and lots of candi sugar. Huge sweetness. However, there's a good bit of saison-like barnyard funkiness to balance. Wild apple fruitiness. A touch of tart acidity.

3.5 T: Good taste, but the candi sugar is present in far too high a level. I can deal with this amount of sweetness in some of Lindeman's other brews because there is usually a strong enough sourness to balance. This, however, is a couple level of tartness lower, than say, the Kriek. Barnyard funkiness is there again as well as the wild apple, but everything plays second fiddle to the sweetness.

4.0 M: Lighter medium body. Good spritzy carbonation. Fairly creamy. Not all that smooth due to the massive amounts of sugar.

3.5 D: Even with the oversweetening, I did enjoy this brew. It's not something I'd like to drink all the time, but one every couple months would be fine. Interested to say the least.

DavoleBomb, Sep 29, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer pours a deep copper amber with some brown highlights. It has a pretty compact head that lasts long and sticks to the glass pretty well.
This beer smells like a regular Gueuze, funky sour and lactic but it also has a caramelness to it. This is most likely due to the sugar.
This beer tastes sour, funky and lactic upon the first sip but the sugar makes itself present within a few seconds. It's a real pure cane sugar flavor. This is pretty much balanced equally between sweet and sour. Although it moght be a tad too sweet for my preferences. I'm also getting some sour apple and caramel in the taste.
All in all it is a pretty refreshing beer that has a nice carbonation.

cooch69, Sep 25, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

Bottle. Pours a reddish copper color with a very slight head. The smell is pretty interesting; tart but sweet fruits as well. The taste comes as quite a surprise. Brett funk flavors up front that quickly transitions to a very sweet fruit flavor almost like maraschino cherries. Light mouthfeel. An interesting beer and style. Too sweet for me but I could see how this could be a good after dinner sipper or for people that like sweet cocktails. Would love to try the Cantillon version to see if it is as sweet.

kbutler1, Sep 24, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

Dispensed from a 12oz bottle into a cylindrical glass. Emerges clear and dark in color, kind of like unsweetened tea. The beer is topped with a stark white and frothy head of about three fingers in size. Not much to speak of in the way of lacing.

Aroma is tart and sour, lemony and slightly fruity. It really has a distinct sourness; I assume that is the yeast speaking.

Sweet up front. Really sweet. Due to the high carbonation, the sweetness isnt sickly sweet or cloying. I kind of like it. There is a sourness and lemon-rind quality underneath but the raw sugarl-like sweetness hits the tongue immediately.

I know it is oxymoronic, but this beer is sweet and sour at the same time, and niether characteristic overtakes the other, but balance and complement each other. Completely drinkable and very pleasant. Finishes dry but with a bit of sugary oiliness on the tongue. I really liked this one.

SaCkErZ9, Sep 23, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

It's been quite some time since I reviewed a beer. But I figured I'd make a run at it with this bizarre style. Who knows maybe I'll get back in the grove and start doing this on a more regular basis.

Appearance: I went with an aggressive pour assuming that head retention would not be a strong suit. I was correct in this assumption. The head started off at about 1 and 1/2 fingers but quickly receded to a thin cap. It still managed to leave a few swipes of lacing with the first few swigs. The beer itself is a moderately hazy reddish amber color with ginger ale colored edges when held to the light.

Smell: I can tell right off the bat this is going to be an interesting experience. The first thing that comes to mind is tart lemon rind which mixes fairly well with the sweetness from the candi sugar. The wild card is the dusting of funkiness that vaguely reminds of a strong cheese. It's not off putting per se just a bit awkward.

Taste: Wow, much sweeter than the smell would lead you to believe. It's an artificial sweetness that reminds me of saccharine. In fact the beer as a whole kind of reminds me of a glass of iced tea that someone dumped one too many Sweet'n Lows into and then squeezed in a lemon. The only difference being the kick of sour and the funk. I realize this may be close to the intended style, but the sweetness is just too overbearing and fake.

Mouthfeel: Nothing remarkable, but it's fairly good for the style. The body is fairly light, while the carbonation is sprightly but not overbearing.

Drinkability: At some point in time I'd like to try a different Faro though I realize the chances of this are slim to none. I just wonder if Lindemans did some artificial sweetening as well as the candied sugar. After all they do it with their standard series of lambics so it certainly isn't out of the question. Also for reference I have had a few of their fruit lambics and this is far sweeter than any of them. It's just too much.

DrDoitchbig, Sep 22, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce corked and capped green bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Fizzy off-white head rises to a couple inches and settles to near nothing within a minute. Reddish body.

Smell: Funky wet hay, a little lemon and cork. Smells like a good Belgian beer to me.

Taste: Very sweet/tart, smooth, and fruity. Cherry, raspberry, and lemon. I think I'm getting a taste of wood in the aftertaste, perhaps from the barrel or the cork, not sure.

BierFan, Sep 15, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Served in tulip

A: Deep dark honey with head that requires vigorous pouring and still flattens (I know, it's a lambic, it's supposed to).
S: Sweet seaweed and Irish grass.
T: Cherry pits, prunes, sweet tarts. Perhaps a bit too sweet, I was looking forward to something not as sugary as Lindemans fruit lambics. It's as though they did not let it ferment all the way and the candi sugar is still in there.
M: Decent body, prickly carbonation keeps it on your tongue.
D: A decent refreshing lambic that I am willing to try again. Not many dimensional, but drinkable on a hot day.

carpezytha, Sep 14, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a hazy orange-ish to copper color with a white head. In the aroma, white grape and sweet tea. In the taste, white grape and lemon sweet tea. A sugary/ sour bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a clean to small sugary sourness in the aftertaste. A sourness blended nice with a sweet tea like body. Not too bad.

OWSLEY069, Sep 13, 2010