Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Faro |  4.20% ABV

ABV varies slightly

(Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002)
3.3/5  rDev -9.3%

My first Faro.

A: Fairly clear brownish golden color. A thin covering of white head.

S: The nose is of oak and the underpinnings of a lambic with a ton of sweetness added. The sweetness really is overwhelming.

T: The taste is sweetness. Little bit of lambic. A touch of oak and some fruit as well. Gets better as it warms up and kills the sweetness.

M: Light body well carbonated.

D: What I like about this beer is what I get when I do not like the sweetness. I taste the Cuvee Rene in this and want that. I could see why people like this but this is not for me.

aerozeppl, Dec 26, 2010
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: brown, clay with unfiltered body, lots of carbonation, trace head.

S: cherries, mild figs + dates, hint of woodsy aroma with chocolate an aroma of sweetness.

T/M: sweet cherry, date, figs upfront, bitter and sour finish. slight prickly feeling on the tongue, surprisingly goes down smooth with a little pucker to change things up for a a beer drinker.

D: This is my 1st lambic. I have been very hesitant to try this style of beer, but it is very refreshing and different. I think I could try other lambics, but no more than 1 or 2 in a sitting. This may be a good starting beer for ladies who like Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss or perhaps a wine cooler.

BeerLover99, Dec 24, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -3%

12oz bottle into AVBC snifter.

A: Pours a dark grape-hued amber with a billowing off white head that took forever to fade into a dense film that left a network of lace down the glass.
S: Not much odor. A little bit of fruit, a little bit of funk. Strange all around.
T: Wow! This is my first faro but something tells me they all aren't THIS sweet, are they? This one is definitely seems unnecessarily sugary, but I believe that is a characteristic of Lindemans' beers. It hits the palate tart at first, and just the slightest bit of funky flavor sneaks through before BAM! sugary sweet sugariness overpowers everything. Finish has some fruity notes to it, and the aftertaste feels like I just drank some (sweet) fruit juice concentrate.
M: Medium body, that goes down wet (as opposed to dry), and is sticky and viscous from all the syrupy sugar.
D: I mean who doesn't like sugar? I know this beer is supposed to be sweet, and of course this is easy to drink, but it is a bit too sweet for me to think Lindemans didn't take a few creative liberties a put their own touch on the style. I would actually almost probably buy this again if I was in the mood for dessert, and now I really want to try some other beers in this style. I just hope they don't all give me diabetes.

scottfrie, Dec 20, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Appearance: pours a clear amber color with an orange tone. A short head falls apart quickly.

Smell: cherries, earthiness, and a sugary sweetness is pleasant. A hint of sourness is detectable.

Taste: heavy leaning of the cherry and sugary sweetness with a soft sourness at the finish. Definite earthy tones and a mild bitterness rounds it out.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp throughout with a bit of drying late. Long cherry aftertaste.

Drinkability: this went down quickly and was nicely refreshing. Enjoyable.

Gavage, Dec 19, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Appears a deep apple juice like amber hue with a bright white head that dwindles rather quickly, not as effervescent as the other fruit lambics that Lindeman's makes. Aroma tart fruit notes hints of green apple acidity and barrel aging undertones. Nice pleasant flow in the nose, I like it so far let's taste...super sweet compared to most traditional lambics, it's actually cider sweet hints of barrel aging touch of woody tones. More apple like sweetness even though I know there's no fruit added to this one just Belgian candi sugar. Nice underlying acidic notes but again it's overall really sweet dessert beer. Mouthfeel is medium body a bit of residual sugars, nice tart middle with a sweet coating finish mellow carbonation going on. Drinkability is decent if you are in the mood for something on the sweeter side.

WVbeergeek, Dec 19, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

Lindemans Faro lambic has a cloudy brown body with a tan head, and leaves some decent lacing on my lindemans glass (I can't figure out what to put in the things, and it makes sense to dump this one into it).

The aroma is quite nice. Candied sugar mixes with a big, woody character, sweet malt and sourness.

The flavor is good, and similar to the aroma, but the sourness is understated when compared to the aroma. Up front is a nice woody flavor, followed by a slightly musty tartness. Next sweet malts come in, and at the finish the candied sugar takes over and mops everything up. I would prefer a little more edge to the sourness in this beer, and in an extremely sour lambic I could see the candied sugar really taking the mouth twisting edge off just enough to make the beer a lot more drinkable.

Not much to say about the mouthfeel, pretty basic.

I finished this beer in no time, and was happy to do so. Although I'd like a little bit more sourness as this was on the sweet side this beer was pretty refreshing as it is.

Hojaminbag, Dec 14, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +3%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a deep cola orange, very mild bubbly white head, looks a lot like soda, hard to judge because I've never had this style before.

S: Minor notes of horse blanket, wood, sweet malt.

T: Sugary fruit, with definite notes of peaches, mild cherries, certainly tastes good.

M: Light-bodied, more sweet than sour but has a finishing acidity like sour candy. Too sweet overall for me.

D: At $8 this is a single buy for me to try the style, it's the only one around, but it was a lot like drinking a lambic soda, a sure fire crowd pleaser though.

Halcyondays, Dec 14, 2010
1.78/5  rDev -51.1%

I grabbed this at State Line yesterday. While this is the second faro I've had (the other being the Chapeau faro), this is the first I get to tick.

Clear amber with a dense, white head that settles into a thin cap, leaving some lace, this beer looks good. The nose belies this beers lambic base. A mild musty funk and woody aroma are immediately noticeable, but as this warms up, I do get a rather noticeable sweetness. Sugary and rather intense, like cake frosting, this aspect isn't particularly enjoyable. It is, however, better than the taste. Wretched candy sweetness, this tastes like sugar water. The sourness and funk are completely overwhelmed here, this is like cheap store brand soda with an artificial fruit and sugary sweetness and the carbonation lending a refreshing finale to this beer. I really don't get much flavor here, this is just rather wretched. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, this is sweet on the finish with a blend of regular and brown sugar. Avoid.

DefenCorps, Dec 14, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a murky ruddy brown with off-white head that fades. Nose is pretty good with some nice tart and funky notes, some lemon as well. Taste, however, falls a little flat. It tastes pretty much exactly like the description of a faro--a geueze with sugar added. It's sweet, has lemon and malty notes, as well as an almost tea-like note. Moderate mouthfeel, decent drinkability. OK, though not something I will revisit.

LordAdmNelson, Dec 13, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

375 ML bottle... Poured into tulip.

A clear, brownish-red hinted gold color. Minimal head and lacing.

Smells of thick, unrefined sugar, tart cherries, slight vinegar, earthy oakiness, and a little grape-like quality...

Taste starts really sweet-- sugar in the raw, molasses, sweet fruitines... Then an earthy and oaky note comes in with a little dry funky hay... Never quite dries out enough for my taste-- but the beer's drinkability doesn't suffer much for it. Very easy to drink, and rather enjoyable. Nice tartness.

The body is medium-light with low carbonation. Feels slightly oily, but mostly from the thick sugar.

This is really worth a try-- even if you pick it up just to bring it to a Christmas party-- this is worth a pour for yourself. This seems like it would be enjoyed by most people, craft fans or not. I look forward to trying more Faro beers.

AleWatcher, Dec 12, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

A- pale and thin appearance with head that quickly disappears
S- smells pretty much just like funk... not very complex or pleasing
T- tasts sweet and funky... syrupy sweetness that underlies it all
M- Drinks very easily other than being syrupy
D- a bit of a sipper

Urbancaver, Dec 12, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A: Redish brown purple hue. About a finger of dirty white head. Fast fading. Some soapy lace. Thin cap.

S: Moderate lactic sour. Lots of sweet berries. Mild touch of funkiness. Dusty wood and damp basement.

T: Rather sweet up front. It then sort of fades into a light lactic sour and then nothing. No off flavors just not a whole lot going on.

M: Light and bubbly body. Dry as a bone finish.

D: Overall easy drinking for sure. Nothing that's gonna wow you flavor wise but tasty with a decent sour kick. I would love to try another beer in this style. Just to compare. For almost $6 a bottle this one won't be picked up again.

beerwolf77, Dec 10, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear amber with golden highlights around the edges; the head fades quickly in an almost soda-like fashion, though it does leaves a few streaks of lace behind

Smell: While there is plenty of sugary sweetness in the aroma, I also pick up the Brett as well

Taste: Fruity sweetness, up front, with a combination of apples and apricots, with some sour Bretty flavors arriving by mid-palate; ultimately, the sweetness overwhelms the sour flavors, as it continues to do in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: My first Faro and a little research reveals that this is a style that suits Lindemans to a "t"

brentk56, Dec 09, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

-Corked and capped. My first per style.

A: Orange-cherry in the glass shows a misty rise of effervesce though a good clarity. The head doesn't care to stick around, falling from a one finger statue in a matter of seconds leaving but a faint whispy lashing for lace.

S: Musky fruit of apples and pear juice comes first, along with a sweetness of candi-sugar. A touch of maraschino cherry juice comes on the trail.

T: Sweet and fruity, there's no denying it, almost unbearably so on the open. Think apple juice laced with a generous helping of candi-sugar. Musky fruit meets sickening sweetness. Hard to measure this in terms of style, my first so, but going by guidelines meets, even exceeds criteria, don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Sparkling cider with a tartness of green apples and perhaps some vinegar on the close.

M: Mouthful is heavy and syrupy, with a slick feel and tartness of green apples lining the tongue. Some crispness on the lips but doesn't translate to the tongue.

D: Not a fan in terms of multiples. Hard to imagine going back to back here. A pure diabetic shock. A long sipper with a reluctance to finish.

Final musings: being my first per style my thoughts probably lean towards more personal preference rather comparison per style vs. others. Draw your own conclusions but it is overly sweet which is never good for any style.

beerthulhu, Dec 07, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 37,5cl bottle into a chalice.

A - Rich dark amber colour. Very little head.

S - Port and cherries.

T - Underlying sourness which is only just noticeable - fairly well masked by the sugar. Big cherry flavour with a sugar kicker. Almost a bier de garde but a bit sweeter.

M - Mild carbonation and fizz, probably closer to a dr pepper than a normal beer. Sweet and refreshing without doing an awful lot.

D - Easy to knock back..

xylophonica, Dec 04, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -36%

Pours a pretty dirty pink cranberry. Good head and a multitude of bubbles.

Nuts, yeast, hints of fruit - though I'm not sure which.. Musky wood.

Sweeter than I had anticipated. Tastes a lot like Sprite, or Mike's Hard Lemonade with a sour tinge.

Lots of soda-like carbonation. Clean and refreshing. Too sweet though.

A tad too straightforward and soda-like.

ptykozoon, Dec 02, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

Reviewed on 24 November 2010.

Poured into two 10oz snifters and shared with my girlfriend. Bottling stamp shows "L H14IFA" meaning that it was bottled on 14 August 2009 (Lindemans told me how to decipher the date -- I'd be happy to share with you). Color is a clear, deep amber-orange, light film head, no lacing. Aroma of light funk, brown sugar, smells like champagne does. Tastes of bret and some other wild bacteria (still no expert with sours, but I know at least know bret), sweet brown sugar, slight cinnamon, and leaves a "sour apple cider" taste on the tongue. I know there's no such thing, but it's a combination of sour apple and apple cider. The bubbles attack the tongue and then disappear. My first faro lambic was pretty delightful.

ToAzwethinkweizm, Nov 30, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

At last, Lindemans provides. The long search for a faro-styled beer comes to end for me. Now the fun part, the drinking of Lindemans Faro. On to the beer:

Orange amber colored with spectrum of different brigter colors. Depending on where the light shines, it ranges from yellow to lighter orange to a darker amber orange. That head doesn't stay around for very long. Unsure wat to expect in the nose, I get a sweet and sour aroma. Musty cork hits, then comes the wave of red wine vinegar. It's more sweet that sour.

Here's an odd couple that works: take three parts Flanders Red and one part gueuze. That may be heresy to some, but that's what this is like. Really sweet caramel makes up the base, a touch of sourness attempts to balance out the rest, but it remains sweet. In this case, I don't mind. Red wine vinegar flavor comes through, hold the acid. Fun to drink, although 12 ounces will be plenty.

A different way of doing lambic. Lindemans knows how to get their fruit lambics sweet, but perhaps it's appropraite that they make this unusual style.

DoubleJ, Nov 28, 2010
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear bubbly amber with a thin tan head that retreats to a ring of foam.

S - Tart green apple with just a hint of vinegar. Cereal graininess with a sweet sugary aroma. Earthy.

T - Very sweet but the sweetness doesn't remind me of candi sugar at all. Slight graininess, earthy with tart apple. The aftertaste reminds me of very sugary cider mixed with a hint of lambic.

M - Light body with a good amount of carbonation. Becomes a touch sticky as it warms due to sweetness.

D - Not sure how I feel about this one. The sweetness tastes a little artificial and it might be a tad too sweet for my tastes.

brewcrew76, Nov 27, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -40.9%

Poured this into a tulip. The pour gives a clear clean looking honey color with a big quickly reducing white head with runny lace. The smell is tart like apples with a bit of cedar. A little bit of candied sweetness in the nose also. Holy sweet! The pallet is toned down from from any tartness found in the aroma and it becomes a very sweet. The taste reminds me of white grape juice. It's actually really tough for me to come up with anything else on this. The mouthfeel isn't offensive, it's kind of syrupy but it's not bad.

Honestly, I do not enjoy this beer. That being said it is the first of it's style I've had. Maybe it's not for me but I'm pouring this out. I just can't drink it. The smell was nice but I really don't like the taste. I was still expecting a bit of sourness with me sweet.

Bendurgin, Nov 27, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -8%

"We need the funk." - Parliment

Crystal clear plum amber with a crustacean off-white head. Thin, translucent skim retention leaves 2 very happy rings and a few snow spot splashes up top.

Super sweet candi sugar aroma with some rusty corn and Sweet Tarts thrown in. More funk please.

Sugary Fun Dip made into beer. A little sour but mostly more Sweet Tarts. Light and fluffy mouthfeel. Way too sweet, it would have benefited from from more funk.

donkeyrunner, Nov 25, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

This is my first Faro and I thought it was pretty good. I am not a big fan of sour beers and from what I have been reading, Lindemans beers are much sweeter than the styles call for....Works for me!!!

Poured from a foil covered 12 oz bottle that was both capped and corked into a "Bud Select" Busch Gardens tall flute glass. Appearance is good. Medium size delicately bubbly white head, nice clear light copper colored body and no lacing. Smell is fairly potent: Belgian candi sugar, sour fruit and a good bit of "funk".

Taste goes 2 ways: When cold - the sweetness overpowers the funk and tartness although all three are present. If you allow the beer to warm a bit, the sweetness is muted and the funk and tart taste are more prominent.

Mouthfeel is robust enough - definitely not watery but not heavy either. The tartness adds a crisp dimension, but I was expecting more carbonation as well.

Even though this is a low alcohol beer, it is a slow sipper based on strong flavors. I wouldn't see this as eminently drinkable in large quantities. a 12 oz'er is fine.

JayQue, Nov 25, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a slightly hazed amber and a thick tan head and tons of carbonation and lacing. Smells quite earthy and sour like spoiled milt and vinegar. Tastes very sour bent with earthy, musky undertones with a very dry finish. Good full mouthfeel and very drinkable. Almost tastes like wine.

TheKingofWichita, Nov 22, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is slightly foggy amber, the head tan with uneven bubbles, leaving a few lacings.

The smell is earthy and sour, as should, dusty cellar, sour milk and a hint of white vinegar.

Tasting sweet, sugar, then acidity like rhubarbs and vinegar, finishing of with a seed bitterness.

Small carbonation, but lively small bubbles, sugary but with a dry finish.

A bit to sweet for me, but otherwise nice.

rarbring, Nov 21, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

355ml green bottle purchased at McKinnon's in Salem. Pours a hazy copper to brown body with a fairly persistent inch of khaki-colored head. Sour apple jumps out of the aroma. Cortland and Granny Smith apple flesh and skin dominate the flavor, with some brown sugar and grape in the background. On the lighter side of medium-bodied with ample carbonation from bottle conditioning. Wow. I've never tried anything quite like this. It reminds me a lot of my favorite kinds of apples and it's very refreshing. Complex, sour, drinkable, awesome.

MrHurmateeowish, Nov 20, 2010