Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Faro |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
3.79/5  rDev +4.1%

A- pale and thin appearance with head that quickly disappears
S- smells pretty much just like funk... not very complex or pleasing
T- tasts sweet and funky... syrupy sweetness that underlies it all
M- Drinks very easily other than being syrupy
D- a bit of a sipper

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A: Redish brown purple hue. About a finger of dirty white head. Fast fading. Some soapy lace. Thin cap.

S: Moderate lactic sour. Lots of sweet berries. Mild touch of funkiness. Dusty wood and damp basement.

T: Rather sweet up front. It then sort of fades into a light lactic sour and then nothing. No off flavors just not a whole lot going on.

M: Light and bubbly body. Dry as a bone finish.

D: Overall easy drinking for sure. Nothing that's gonna wow you flavor wise but tasty with a decent sour kick. I would love to try another beer in this style. Just to compare. For almost $6 a bottle this one won't be picked up again.

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear amber with golden highlights around the edges; the head fades quickly in an almost soda-like fashion, though it does leaves a few streaks of lace behind

Smell: While there is plenty of sugary sweetness in the aroma, I also pick up the Brett as well

Taste: Fruity sweetness, up front, with a combination of apples and apricots, with some sour Bretty flavors arriving by mid-palate; ultimately, the sweetness overwhelms the sour flavors, as it continues to do in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: My first Faro and a little research reveals that this is a style that suits Lindemans to a "t"

3.05/5  rDev -16.2%

-Corked and capped. My first per style.

A: Orange-cherry in the glass shows a misty rise of effervesce though a good clarity. The head doesn't care to stick around, falling from a one finger statue in a matter of seconds leaving but a faint whispy lashing for lace.

S: Musky fruit of apples and pear juice comes first, along with a sweetness of candi-sugar. A touch of maraschino cherry juice comes on the trail.

T: Sweet and fruity, there's no denying it, almost unbearably so on the open. Think apple juice laced with a generous helping of candi-sugar. Musky fruit meets sickening sweetness. Hard to measure this in terms of style, my first so, but going by guidelines meets, even exceeds criteria, don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Sparkling cider with a tartness of green apples and perhaps some vinegar on the close.

M: Mouthful is heavy and syrupy, with a slick feel and tartness of green apples lining the tongue. Some crispness on the lips but doesn't translate to the tongue.

D: Not a fan in terms of multiples. Hard to imagine going back to back here. A pure diabetic shock. A long sipper with a reluctance to finish.

Final musings: being my first per style my thoughts probably lean towards more personal preference rather comparison per style vs. others. Draw your own conclusions but it is overly sweet which is never good for any style.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 37,5cl bottle into a chalice.

A - Rich dark amber colour. Very little head.

S - Port and cherries.

T - Underlying sourness which is only just noticeable - fairly well masked by the sugar. Big cherry flavour with a sugar kicker. Almost a bier de garde but a bit sweeter.

M - Mild carbonation and fizz, probably closer to a dr pepper than a normal beer. Sweet and refreshing without doing an awful lot.

D - Easy to knock back..

2.41/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours a pretty dirty pink cranberry. Good head and a multitude of bubbles.

Nuts, yeast, hints of fruit - though I'm not sure which.. Musky wood.

Sweeter than I had anticipated. Tastes a lot like Sprite, or Mike's Hard Lemonade with a sour tinge.

Lots of soda-like carbonation. Clean and refreshing. Too sweet though.

A tad too straightforward and soda-like.

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%

Reviewed on 24 November 2010.

Poured into two 10oz snifters and shared with my girlfriend. Bottling stamp shows "L H14IFA" meaning that it was bottled on 14 August 2009 (Lindemans told me how to decipher the date -- I'd be happy to share with you). Color is a clear, deep amber-orange, light film head, no lacing. Aroma of light funk, brown sugar, smells like champagne does. Tastes of bret and some other wild bacteria (still no expert with sours, but I know at least know bret), sweet brown sugar, slight cinnamon, and leaves a "sour apple cider" taste on the tongue. I know there's no such thing, but it's a combination of sour apple and apple cider. The bubbles attack the tongue and then disappear. My first faro lambic was pretty delightful.

3.87/5  rDev +6.3%

At last, Lindemans provides. The long search for a faro-styled beer comes to end for me. Now the fun part, the drinking of Lindemans Faro. On to the beer:

Orange amber colored with spectrum of different brigter colors. Depending on where the light shines, it ranges from yellow to lighter orange to a darker amber orange. That head doesn't stay around for very long. Unsure wat to expect in the nose, I get a sweet and sour aroma. Musty cork hits, then comes the wave of red wine vinegar. It's more sweet that sour.

Here's an odd couple that works: take three parts Flanders Red and one part gueuze. That may be heresy to some, but that's what this is like. Really sweet caramel makes up the base, a touch of sourness attempts to balance out the rest, but it remains sweet. In this case, I don't mind. Red wine vinegar flavor comes through, hold the acid. Fun to drink, although 12 ounces will be plenty.

A different way of doing lambic. Lindemans knows how to get their fruit lambics sweet, but perhaps it's appropraite that they make this unusual style.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear bubbly amber with a thin tan head that retreats to a ring of foam.

S - Tart green apple with just a hint of vinegar. Cereal graininess with a sweet sugary aroma. Earthy.

T - Very sweet but the sweetness doesn't remind me of candi sugar at all. Slight graininess, earthy with tart apple. The aftertaste reminds me of very sugary cider mixed with a hint of lambic.

M - Light body with a good amount of carbonation. Becomes a touch sticky as it warms due to sweetness.

D - Not sure how I feel about this one. The sweetness tastes a little artificial and it might be a tad too sweet for my tastes.

2.27/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured this into a tulip. The pour gives a clear clean looking honey color with a big quickly reducing white head with runny lace. The smell is tart like apples with a bit of cedar. A little bit of candied sweetness in the nose also. Holy sweet! The pallet is toned down from from any tartness found in the aroma and it becomes a very sweet. The taste reminds me of white grape juice. It's actually really tough for me to come up with anything else on this. The mouthfeel isn't offensive, it's kind of syrupy but it's not bad.

Honestly, I do not enjoy this beer. That being said it is the first of it's style I've had. Maybe it's not for me but I'm pouring this out. I just can't drink it. The smell was nice but I really don't like the taste. I was still expecting a bit of sourness with me sweet.

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%

"We need the funk." - Parliment

Crystal clear plum amber with a crustacean off-white head. Thin, translucent skim retention leaves 2 very happy rings and a few snow spot splashes up top.

Super sweet candi sugar aroma with some rusty corn and Sweet Tarts thrown in. More funk please.

Sugary Fun Dip made into beer. A little sour but mostly more Sweet Tarts. Light and fluffy mouthfeel. Way too sweet, it would have benefited from from more funk.

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

This is my first Faro and I thought it was pretty good. I am not a big fan of sour beers and from what I have been reading, Lindemans beers are much sweeter than the styles call for....Works for me!!!

Poured from a foil covered 12 oz bottle that was both capped and corked into a "Bud Select" Busch Gardens tall flute glass. Appearance is good. Medium size delicately bubbly white head, nice clear light copper colored body and no lacing. Smell is fairly potent: Belgian candi sugar, sour fruit and a good bit of "funk".

Taste goes 2 ways: When cold - the sweetness overpowers the funk and tartness although all three are present. If you allow the beer to warm a bit, the sweetness is muted and the funk and tart taste are more prominent.

Mouthfeel is robust enough - definitely not watery but not heavy either. The tartness adds a crisp dimension, but I was expecting more carbonation as well.

Even though this is a low alcohol beer, it is a slow sipper based on strong flavors. I wouldn't see this as eminently drinkable in large quantities. a 12 oz'er is fine.

4.33/5  rDev +19%

Pours a slightly hazed amber and a thick tan head and tons of carbonation and lacing. Smells quite earthy and sour like spoiled milt and vinegar. Tastes very sour bent with earthy, musky undertones with a very dry finish. Good full mouthfeel and very drinkable. Almost tastes like wine.

3.62/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is slightly foggy amber, the head tan with uneven bubbles, leaving a few lacings.

The smell is earthy and sour, as should, dusty cellar, sour milk and a hint of white vinegar.

Tasting sweet, sugar, then acidity like rhubarbs and vinegar, finishing of with a seed bitterness.

Small carbonation, but lively small bubbles, sugary but with a dry finish.

A bit to sweet for me, but otherwise nice.

4.62/5  rDev +26.9%

355ml green bottle purchased at McKinnon's in Salem. Pours a hazy copper to brown body with a fairly persistent inch of khaki-colored head. Sour apple jumps out of the aroma. Cortland and Granny Smith apple flesh and skin dominate the flavor, with some brown sugar and grape in the background. On the lighter side of medium-bodied with ample carbonation from bottle conditioning. Wow. I've never tried anything quite like this. It reminds me a lot of my favorite kinds of apples and it's very refreshing. Complex, sour, drinkable, awesome.

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

brilliant brownish amber with a touch of froth (more than i would expect from a sour brew)

...and it's sour smelling! with a more complex aroma than, say a gueze. this, i suppose, is due to the additional dark stuff for the yeast to eat up

i don't know how i feel about the extra sweetness (if you can't tell, this is my first faro), mainly because it seems so empty. it's a basic, sugary sweetness. luckily, there's some bitterness

4.32/5  rDev +18.7%

355 mL bottle pours a very clear, dark gold color. Large, bubbly white head shows light retention and a few spots of lacing.

Nose is cheesy sour/sweet with a Goudenband-like rich sugar aroma. Roasted caramel popcorn...interesting and welcomingly sour.

Taste is a complex mélange of sweet than sour malty mixatropolis. Beery lambic flavors with some helping acidity. Yummy for sure, but hard to define. Has a soft sweetness. This is my first faro, but I am thoroughly enjoying the experience, too much so to write a lengthy review. Good stuff!

This was my first Faro Lambic. It was corked and capped. Had a clear dark amber color with a very thin effervescent head. The taste was very malty and sweet. No real hop flavors at all. It reminded me very much of something between Biere De Garde and sparkling grape juice. A strong grape flavor. Medium body sweet aftertaste.

Having tried a gueze in the past I was pleasantly surprised at how drinkable this beer was.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

Capped and Corked. This was one interesting beer. Never had this style so not sure if this is how it is supposed to taste.

It is very sweet and it reminds me of a malt beverage then a beer. It is carmel in color with a light head. The smell is like a prickely pear.

The tastes is sharp and sweet. Mouthfeel is sort of tart but at the same time not like a sour.

Worth trying for the style it's okay for looking for a sweet beer.

3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

Found this at GE Market District-certainly the easiest to find brew of the style and my first.

A- Body is a completely transparent slightly dark caramel hue. Pours with <1/2 finger foamy white head that eventually fades to a thin collar with no lacing left behind in the glass.

S- Nose is of moderate strength and offers a good bit of funk-cheesecloth, a hint of vinegar, and a sugary sweetness-that seems to be more of regular sweetness than belgian candi sugar

T-Taste is much stronger than the smell. The initial flavor of of juicy white grapes, a very mild accent of vinegar, and a hint of cheese. The finish adds a lot of sweetness-almost cloyingly so- to the flavors already described. What lingers is a mild combination of everything described.

M- medium to high clarbonation and a medium weight quite juicy body initially with a slightly dry finish.

D- This is an interesting brew overall. My first of the style-and I dont really depend on Lindemans to demonstrate the best example-but I have a good idea of what its about. The flavor profile is slightly gueze-like but has a much lighter character and is much sweeter.

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Drank from my Duvel Tulip

A - Pours a slightly hazey copper colour with a head that dies quickly and laces.

S - Very earthy and slightly sweet.

T - Quite a sweet beginning that moves to a somewhat sourness.

M - Light body with medium carbonation

D - Very respectable Lambic without bells and whistles

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Not really too learned on this style but after reading up a bit here goes;

appearance; hazy copper with a white fizzy head. Dissipates to froathy rim around the inside of the glass with constant fizzy bubbles rising from the center.

smell; musty and sour, with hints of sweetness.

taste; personally didn't like it much but keeping the style in mind it was quite good. The raw yeasty sourness of a lambic was there with a tart bite in the finish. When it first hits the palate one can taste the carmalized sugars. The two flavors are well blended and represent what the style is about, I suppose, correct me if I'm wrong. A pleasant raw yeast hangs around in the aftertaste. Sour apples and a hint of bitterness would best describe.

mouthfeel; really too fizzy, like carbonated water but sticky and not by any means crisp.

drinkability; quite easy to drink but the sweetness can be a little too much.

In accordance to the style this is quality but I have a hard time even considering this beer, just taste kind of like a girly drink. The tart bitterness, although very slight, is all I really liked of this beer.

1.28/5  rDev -64.8%

I got this primarily to finally try a Faro. And that's what I did! I have nothing else good to say about it!

Pours a ... you know what, let's get right down to it, Sometimes, you gotta give people the bad news with no preamble.

This is pure piss-awful. Jesus H. Christ. A horrible surgar-y cereal graininess lingers as one experiences Belgian candi gone amuck. Sour? I don't know, there's a bit of musty rancid-ness on the aftertaste, but the horrible sweetness obliterates all. At least with Lindemans' fruit offerings, you can say: "well, I knew I was getting raspberry syrup." There's absolutely no warning with this foul smelling, over-sweetened mess.

AYAIYAYAYAYHYAIYAYAA

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is my first example of the style, keep that in mind while reading this. Poured into long stemmed white wine glass, closest I had to a flute. Poured a nice medium brown/amber with an inch of off-white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing.

The aroma was mostly malty grains with a nice tang. There was an underlying sweetness that only showed up if you looked for it. On the tongue, that sweetness was more prevalent than the aroma led me to expect. The malt was there, as was that mild tang.

The body was decent, perhaps a bit thinner than I would have liked. Drinkability was very good, I could eaqsily have a coupler of these after dinner. I had a couple of lemon cookies while I had this one and they went together very well.

Overall, a decent brew, worth trying when you see it.

3.41/5  rDev -6.3%

From bottle into a flute

A - Dark copper / brown body with a white head resting on top. Lots of lacing on the glass

S - Sweet notes mingle with earthy aromas and a bit of funk

T - Pretty sweet. Reminds me of a wine almost. A hint of funkiness but that quickly runs away. oaky, earthy taste but mostly sweet covering some funk.

M - light bodied with a good amount of carbonation

D - pretty drinkable. A decent beer for sure but I'm not blown away by this. Never had any others in this style though so I don't know if it is the style or beer. For the price its worth trying however. On a side note my girlfriend loved this beer and wants to pick up some the next time we go to the store.

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans