Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Faro |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
4.27/5  rDev +17.3%

A - Amber brown with hints of orange when held up to light. Rather clear. Head is about one finger thick and egg-shell white. Fades to a thin cap and leaves thin rings of lace.

S - Pale malts and underlying aroma of wild lambic yeasts. Sugary sweetness comes through more and more as the beer warms, but the barnyard aromas remain as the most dominant.

T - Not near as sweet as I expected it to be. Pale malts and wild yeasts with a barnyard funkiness. Candi sugar certainly provides a balancing sweetness to the funk but is not at all overwhelming.

M/D - Light and crisp with a nice puckering sensation. Surprisingly easy drinking.

3.27/5  rDev -10.2%

In the 80's, I lived on Martha's vineyard and there was a restaurant called The Brass Rail and they had a 'Round the World' club, which was just as it sounds. You got a card and you got a hole punched for every country you 'visited'. If you went all around the world by the end of the Summer, you got a t-shirt.

I remember that some countries had more than one option - Ireland, for example, offered Harp, and Guiness. I also remember that the only option for Belgium was Lindeman's Framboise or Kriek. That's it.

This was back in my college days, and we thought ourselves contrarian renegades because we drank the occasional Heineken dark. We didn't know what Belgium had been offering for hundreds of years. We put off checking off Begium because the idea of a Raspberry flavored beer was just crazy. We didn't know what it was, but after we tried it, we never wanted to visit a "Lambic" again.

If we wanted that, we'd just dink Champale.

So here we are, 25 years later and I'm marginally more knowledgeable and versed in my beer lore, and everyone is going on about the Cantillon and the Faro et al. So I'm trying to be open-minded, even though the more beers I try, the more I am defining my very narrow zone of preferences. So I grabbed a bottle of this at the Market District for about $5 to give it a whirl.

Poured into a Chimay goblet.

A. Reddish brown, translucent - clearer than expected, frothy bubbly head that dissipates fast like a sparkling wine.

B. The smell is reminiscent of sour beer the day after a frat party.

C. I understand and appreciate the nature of the wild yeast and the spontaneous fermentation, and that makes me want to be more lenient and respectful in my review. But this is a really sweet and sour drink that I am finding it hard to avoid disliking. The similarities to Champale don't end with my offhand joke above. if you like cider and fruity beers, I'm sure there are better and worse types. If you don't like them, there only worse and worse.

M. Mouthfeel is more carbonated than I like, but acceptable in a vinegary way.

D. One would be my limit for a night, and then only for dessert or after a meal. Not a warm-up bee, or a cool down beer - this taste is too prominent to compliment most foods - maybe it would do well with a sweet chocolate.

Seriously, it wasn't that bad of a beer. I'd take this over most over-hopped IPA's any day. But I'm not buying any more of these anytime soon.

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%

Fills the glass with a dark copper colored body with only a tiny bit of haze. Capped by a light and airy white head, about an inch thick at first, but fades to leave thin lace behind.

Aroma is a bit funky, but with a much sweeter aroma than your typical lambic. The candi sugar does seem to compliment the lemony/acidic sour aroma well.

First taste reveals a delicate balance between sweet and sour. Sugary and fruity, like many non-wild Belgian styles, but balanced with a tart and sour yeasty flavor. Overall, its a pretty enjoyable desert beer, but almost a bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel is a bit bubbly, but very smooth and silky. This might be my favorite aspect of this beer.

3.13/5  rDev -14%

A-pours a hazed dark cider color with a dark tan colored thin bubbly head.

S-the nose has some earthy tones to it as the sweetness takes over, a slightly artificial cherry dominates with touches of sugar and honey.

T-the taste is even more singular, very light earthy tones an almost all sweetness with a slightly artificial taste. nothing offesnsive, loads of red cherries with touches of sugary honey and notes of cider.

M-medium syrupy body that doesn't have the carbonation to back it up, extremely juicy throughout but no driness what-so-ever.

D-extremely simple and straightforward, very sweet and somewhat artificial. exactly what was expected, would be enjoyable by anyone that likes lindemans.

3.91/5  rDev +7.4%

Cork, cap, and foil covered bottle opens with a pfft and a slightly sour, funky aroma. Pours a dark amber, fairly translucent, with a reddish-white head. In the glass the aroma is sweet, fruity.

The taste starts of distinctly sweet. Halfway through the sourness begins to kick in and there's a pang of something sharp, almost like a spice, that sort of shoots through your mouth. As it warms, the Brett really comes through more along with a sort of "grainy" flavor. Carbonation is strong, but nonetheless this beer really coats the tongue in the finish.

Oddly refreshing in the same way that lemonade can be refreshing. But that tongue-coating effect would prevent me from having more than one.

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance -- Pours a garnet hue with a slim beige head. Meh.

Smell -- Sugar, cracked wheat, pale and crystal malt, lambic yeastiness, mild tartness and funk. Overall, sweet and grainy.

Taste -- Sugary sweet up front with candi sugar and maltiness. The classic lambic acidity and tartness are incredibly subdued into a fruit juice-like twang and a dash of acetic sourness. Has more in common with a sugar-sweetened malt beverage than a classic lambic.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body with mild carbonation.

Drinkability -- I can't see myself drinking this again. Depth of flavor was pretty low and it was so sugary that it tasted more like Smirnoff Ice + cranberry cocktail than lambic + candi sugar. I suggest that you try this if only for the fact that you're likely to never find another Faro stateside, but keep your hopes realistic.

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

The beer pours a dark amber/brown color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice crystal malt and candy sugar scent along with a mild lambic yeast sourness. The taste is good as well. It has a pleasant pale and crystal malt flavor and with a sweet candi sugar character. It goes down smooth with a mild sour finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an easier "lambic" beer to swallow for those who don't care for the more sour, traditional versions. The candy sugar adds just enough sweetener to make it more accesible.

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a ruby brown with a light skim of a head and some spotty lacing.

Not getting much scent at all. Some mustiness, funky sour apple and apple skin elements. Some yeast and grain.

First sip is pleasant, a balance between sour and sweet. Tart lambic elements and a candied sugar follow-up. As it progresses, the sugar gets to be too much. Not a hint of bitterness. Some sugary sour apple elements in the finish. Some acidic sour flavors as well. The secret to this style is balance. This one is just a bit off-balance.

Medium bodied, somewhat sticky, but good carbonation.

Overall, a very tasty brewed style. I want to try different brewers to see how this varies. The sour is great and the sweet helps balance it, but it is almost to sweet. Worth a try for sure. I enjoyed it.

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz. bottle received as a extra from Exiled. Thanks a bunch man!

A- Pours an orange-tinted brown with a finger and a half of white head. Leaves some pretty nice lacing.

S- Some tart yeasty funk with some grassy notes and some lemony citrus. Reminds me of other Lindeman's products I've had.

T- Starts with a slight tartness before the candi sugar takes over. Very sugary sweetness plays with the malt and yeast throughout. I like it, but definitely could get cloying.

M/D- Smooth and fizzy mouthfeel makes this go down pretty easy, but the sweetness gets to be a bit much eventually.

My first Faro, and I'm glad to have tried it. A very unique style, I've never tasted a beer where sugar takes such a prominent role. Works fairly well with the tartness of the lambic. I'd say its worth a try.

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a flute.

3.5 A: Lightly hazed light orange color. Two and a half fingers of frothy yellowish white head with near average retention and moderate amounts of lacing.

4.0 S: Strange, but nice. Lots and lots of candi sugar. Huge sweetness. However, there's a good bit of saison-like barnyard funkiness to balance. Wild apple fruitiness. A touch of tart acidity.

3.5 T: Good taste, but the candi sugar is present in far too high a level. I can deal with this amount of sweetness in some of Lindeman's other brews because there is usually a strong enough sourness to balance. This, however, is a couple level of tartness lower, than say, the Kriek. Barnyard funkiness is there again as well as the wild apple, but everything plays second fiddle to the sweetness.

4.0 M: Lighter medium body. Good spritzy carbonation. Fairly creamy. Not all that smooth due to the massive amounts of sugar.

3.5 D: Even with the oversweetening, I did enjoy this brew. It's not something I'd like to drink all the time, but one every couple months would be fine. Interested to say the least.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer pours a deep copper amber with some brown highlights. It has a pretty compact head that lasts long and sticks to the glass pretty well.
This beer smells like a regular Gueuze, funky sour and lactic but it also has a caramelness to it. This is most likely due to the sugar.
This beer tastes sour, funky and lactic upon the first sip but the sugar makes itself present within a few seconds. It's a real pure cane sugar flavor. This is pretty much balanced equally between sweet and sour. Although it moght be a tad too sweet for my preferences. I'm also getting some sour apple and caramel in the taste.
All in all it is a pretty refreshing beer that has a nice carbonation.

3.16/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle. Pours a reddish copper color with a very slight head. The smell is pretty interesting; tart but sweet fruits as well. The taste comes as quite a surprise. Brett funk flavors up front that quickly transitions to a very sweet fruit flavor almost like maraschino cherries. Light mouthfeel. An interesting beer and style. Too sweet for me but I could see how this could be a good after dinner sipper or for people that like sweet cocktails. Would love to try the Cantillon version to see if it is as sweet.

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

Dispensed from a 12oz bottle into a cylindrical glass. Emerges clear and dark in color, kind of like unsweetened tea. The beer is topped with a stark white and frothy head of about three fingers in size. Not much to speak of in the way of lacing.

Aroma is tart and sour, lemony and slightly fruity. It really has a distinct sourness; I assume that is the yeast speaking.

Sweet up front. Really sweet. Due to the high carbonation, the sweetness isnt sickly sweet or cloying. I kind of like it. There is a sourness and lemon-rind quality underneath but the raw sugarl-like sweetness hits the tongue immediately.

I know it is oxymoronic, but this beer is sweet and sour at the same time, and niether characteristic overtakes the other, but balance and complement each other. Completely drinkable and very pleasant. Finishes dry but with a bit of sugary oiliness on the tongue. I really liked this one.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

It's been quite some time since I reviewed a beer. But I figured I'd make a run at it with this bizarre style. Who knows maybe I'll get back in the grove and start doing this on a more regular basis.

Appearance: I went with an aggressive pour assuming that head retention would not be a strong suit. I was correct in this assumption. The head started off at about 1 and 1/2 fingers but quickly receded to a thin cap. It still managed to leave a few swipes of lacing with the first few swigs. The beer itself is a moderately hazy reddish amber color with ginger ale colored edges when held to the light.

Smell: I can tell right off the bat this is going to be an interesting experience. The first thing that comes to mind is tart lemon rind which mixes fairly well with the sweetness from the candi sugar. The wild card is the dusting of funkiness that vaguely reminds of a strong cheese. It's not off putting per se just a bit awkward.

Taste: Wow, much sweeter than the smell would lead you to believe. It's an artificial sweetness that reminds me of saccharine. In fact the beer as a whole kind of reminds me of a glass of iced tea that someone dumped one too many Sweet'n Lows into and then squeezed in a lemon. The only difference being the kick of sour and the funk. I realize this may be close to the intended style, but the sweetness is just too overbearing and fake.

Mouthfeel: Nothing remarkable, but it's fairly good for the style. The body is fairly light, while the carbonation is sprightly but not overbearing.

Drinkability: At some point in time I'd like to try a different Faro though I realize the chances of this are slim to none. I just wonder if Lindemans did some artificial sweetening as well as the candied sugar. After all they do it with their standard series of lambics so it certainly isn't out of the question. Also for reference I have had a few of their fruit lambics and this is far sweeter than any of them. It's just too much.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce corked and capped green bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Fizzy off-white head rises to a couple inches and settles to near nothing within a minute. Reddish body.

Smell: Funky wet hay, a little lemon and cork. Smells like a good Belgian beer to me.

Taste: Very sweet/tart, smooth, and fruity. Cherry, raspberry, and lemon. I think I'm getting a taste of wood in the aftertaste, perhaps from the barrel or the cork, not sure.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Served in tulip

A: Deep dark honey with head that requires vigorous pouring and still flattens (I know, it's a lambic, it's supposed to).
S: Sweet seaweed and Irish grass.
T: Cherry pits, prunes, sweet tarts. Perhaps a bit too sweet, I was looking forward to something not as sugary as Lindemans fruit lambics. It's as though they did not let it ferment all the way and the candi sugar is still in there.
M: Decent body, prickly carbonation keeps it on your tongue.
D: A decent refreshing lambic that I am willing to try again. Not many dimensional, but drinkable on a hot day.

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a hazy orange-ish to copper color with a white head. In the aroma, white grape and sweet tea. In the taste, white grape and lemon sweet tea. A sugary/ sour bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a clean to small sugary sourness in the aftertaste. A sourness blended nice with a sweet tea like body. Not too bad.

4.09/5  rDev +12.4%

Many thanks to Mike Brawley of Brawley's Beverage in Charlotte, NC for the opportunity to try this. This must have just hit the US, I'm not entirely sure that it has been bottled before.

would recommend this to any any new sour drinker.

Appearance: clear ruby caramel with a small head

Smell: brown sugar and lemon juice (sourness) with a very faint funk mixed with tart cherries and raspberries. Simple but pleasurable

Taste: Candy-like, there is an initial sweetness followed by a sour twang with some faint balsamic vinegar mixed with honey. There is a sweet tart / strawberry lemonade element to it.

Mouthfeel: Not syrupy, but definitely sugar sticky, jammy.

Drinkability: Too sweet to drink a lot, but I can see using this to ease someone into a gueuze or lambic. Very much like fruit juice - put it in a squeeze box! It actually has a great deal of flavor for a 4.2% ABV beer. Makes you want this beer without the sugar training wheels.

4.8/5  rDev +31.9%

If you are looking to try your first lambic or haven't had one in a while, this is a fantastic choice to seek out. I served this beer in a Lindemans flute I recently purchased. Upon pouring, there was a healthy amount of carbonation but not too much. Right off the bat I was able to pick up almost floral sweetness notes. The taste was very similar to the nose with a bit of tartness. This is a perfect Lambic to quench your thirst. The balance of sweetness and tartness reminds me of a good glass of lemonade. If you are looking for something different that is still very approachable, you should pick up a bottle or two of this.

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

33cl bottle picked up at Willow Park in Calgary, style is traditionally served on tap so I am a little leery of trying it in this format, but since I am unlikely to get to Belgium any time soon...

Pours a clear caramel color with a hint of amber, a finger of white head builds up and instantly fizzes out, leaving a placid pool. A few particles at the bottom of the bottle.

Nose has the light funk and tartness you would expect with a lambic, joined with a sweet candi sugar note and a hint of floral and fruit arrangements.

Light apple tartness, a hint of red wine vinegar and the accompanying acidicness, dominated by the sweetness of the candi sugar, hints of apples and raspberries, light musty hay funk. Soft mouthfeel, very round, lots of lush micro bubbles. Light drying in the finish but mostly sweet.

Just too sweet for me too enjoy the style, I think the candi sugar needs to be used a little more judiciously. A very unusual style that I think I would need some more examples to appreciate more fully.

3.35/5  rDev -8%

Wow, the cork was almost impossible to get out. When it did it poured a big fizzy bubbly head of almost 2 fingers that fades so fast it would make flash jealous, until it gets to a fluffy head covering and stops. It leaves little remnants of lacing on teh sides. The beer is a super clear bright cherry orangered like color.

Aroma wafts light sour fruit, a light musty breaddy funk and wild yeast, touch of horse blanket, some tart cherry, some sweet candi sugar, and a nice juicy tart raspberry juice.

Taste comes very sweet! Damn, that's too sweet. Lots of fruit too, more than I expected. It is fairly juicy, with some light tart cherry and raspberry, sour and tangy with a little acidity too. Some light funk and wild yeast but not much. The breaddy malts are there with the light funk but way overpowered by the sweet fruit. The nose had a nice thing going, but the taste just dropped off a cliff.

The mouth is thicker than I expected, a medium to heavier body, with good carbonation.

It finishes slightly drier thanks to light remnants of wild yeast, dry and a little funky, but still pretty sweet, and sticky, very flemmy as well. Lots of fruit juice left behind as well, mostly tart raspberry and a little candy cherry juice.

It started nicely, with a nice appearance and nice nose, but the taste was way to sweet and fruity. I guess I should have known being Lindemans and all.

3.52/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 330mL caged-and-corked bottle into a thin tumbler. L C29JFA (date code?)...

Clear tea colored liquid with an active ivory head that recedes to a thin dappled layer. Decent sandy lacing and light viscous legs.

Sour, grainy, grape skin aromas.

Cloying mead-like palate entry, lots of honey and apple-skin. Faint caramel candy and a pleasing dusty young lambic funk note in the background. Slightly grassy/grainy finish. The wild yeast comes out more when imbibed alongside something sweet (in this case, raspberry jam on crêpes).

Very low carbonation but not still. Thin and light-bodied.

A sweet example of a sweet style, but still a nice beer on a hot day.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

355ml corked and capped bottle poured into tulip sept7 2010

A clear deep amber with a thumbs width of light tan head that fizzes out pretty quick leaving a few patches of lace

S plenty of fruity vinegar with a little barnyard funk and some sweetness

T I pick up on a lot of strawberry among other fruit on top of what I smell, it almost has a bit of a off wine flavor that works well for some strange reason

M sour with some bite and plenty of bubbles and a lingering finish

D low booze and lots of flavor, quite interesting and a style I may need to research

It's always a challenge reviewing beer styles you've never tried before, but the only way to learn is to try. I'd drink this again it's something different to enjoy

3.18/5  rDev -12.6%

Presentation: 335 mL corked and capped bottle shared with a friend. My half poured into a Smuttynose Big Beer snifter. Served chilled and allowed to warm over the course of an hour or so.

Appearance: Deep golden to light brown in color. Not much head at all.

Aroma: Lots of horse blanket and funk here. Realy sweet brown sugar and molasses notes here too.

Taste: The sugar makes this almost cloyingly sweet. Lots of horse blanket and prominent funk. A bit tart with some green apple notes, but the sugar more than overwhelms them.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and light bodied. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability: Depending on how much you enjoy the sweetness, this is relatively drinkable at this ABV.

Overall, an interesting beer that I found to be just too sweet at times. The Lindeman's base beer is in full effect here and gives this its charactistic funk. Definitely worth a try just to sample the style.

4.09/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from the bottle, no freshness date

A - Pours a mostly clear chestnut brown with a thin head and minimal retention; loose lacing

S - Nose is sweet fruits followed by a big hit of tart sourness. Subtle hint of lemon and fermenting grapes.

T&M - Medium to fuller bodied with light carbonation. Lot's of sweet fruit, cherries, and sugary sweetness. Right behind it is a big hit of sour tart with a lemony edge, and a bit of carbonated grape juice. The sweet/sour combo is interesting. Finish interplays the two with a smack of sugary sweet, but it's the sour that resonates.

D - A tasty and interesting brew. Lot's of flavor at a low ABV; probably to lowest alcohol beer with the most flavor I've had.

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans