1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans Faro LambicLindemans Faro Lambic

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Faro |  4.20% ABV

ABV varies slightly

(Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 713 | Reviews: 437 | Show All Ratings:
drtth

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. Code on Bottle: H10JFA

Appearance: As poured the beer is very lightly hazed deep russet, almost brown, color with a ½" eggshell white head that leaves some lacing as it slowly recedes to a ring and an island of foam. The ring persists for most all of the beer and sipping continues to leave lots of scattered large speckles of lacing.

Smell: Upon opening there is a distinct set of aromas that tell me this beer is different from most I've had. There is some vinegar like character that a bit like that of sour apples tinged with a bit of sour cherry. It also has a slightly musky character and all of this is softened by something like the aroma of white syrup.

Taste: The flavors are pretty much predicted from the nose, except that the sweetness comes through much more strongly than expected. There is some underlying tartness and sourness that is barely let through to show by the sweetness. The flavors remind me of tart apples mixed with sour cherries and then blended with lots of sweet syrup. (From reading the style description that is role the sugar syrup is supposed to play, however, the taste of the artificial sweetner in here is mildly unpleasant to me).

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is crisp and medium bodied with light but persistent carbonation. The finish is moderately long with the sweetness taking a long time to eventually fade away into a dry sour cherry flavor. Meanwhile in the background is the somewhat bothersome contribution from the artificial sweetner.

Drinkability: This is both my first Faro and my first Lambic. It seemed a good way to ease into the style and while my experience is limited so far I already know that I can enjoy tart sourness in a beer. On the whole I found this a beer for slow sipping, but at times I confess I also found the sweetness a bit much, partly because I'm a taster for artificial sweetners. And so, as with many introductions, now that I've had this one I'll not be returning often to this particular beer or style of Lambic very often except to sample someone else's version of a Faro to see if I like it a bit better. (Also to be fair this seems to be intended as a dessert beer, which is not how I drank it.)

01-22-2011 01:48:31 | More by drtth
warmstorage

2.83/5  rDev -22%

33cl bottle, corked and capped, from one of hundreds of bottle shops in Brussels. Poured into wide-mouthed wine glass in the hotel room.

Deep copper to light brown, hazy, opaque, almost dirty looking, light head, no lacing.

Smell: sweet and tangy, a little sour.

Taste: sweet, tangy, just barely hints at the funk of lambic, the added sugar overpowers it. Some slight soury tang, cork, leather.

Mouth: thick and viscous and full, almost unpleasantly so.

Drinkability: eh. It's something I could sit and drink a couple of, but it's so underwhelming, why would I want to? Just a mediocre offering from a place that brewery mastered transatlantic marketing. Fortunately, this one isn't yet suckering people into paying $10 for it in the states. (It's about 1 euro in most Belgian supermarkets.)

04-12-2007 03:43:23 | More by warmstorage
DrDoitchbig

2.83/5  rDev -22%

It's been quite some time since I reviewed a beer. But I figured I'd make a run at it with this bizarre style. Who knows maybe I'll get back in the grove and start doing this on a more regular basis.

Appearance: I went with an aggressive pour assuming that head retention would not be a strong suit. I was correct in this assumption. The head started off at about 1 and 1/2 fingers but quickly receded to a thin cap. It still managed to leave a few swipes of lacing with the first few swigs. The beer itself is a moderately hazy reddish amber color with ginger ale colored edges when held to the light.

Smell: I can tell right off the bat this is going to be an interesting experience. The first thing that comes to mind is tart lemon rind which mixes fairly well with the sweetness from the candi sugar. The wild card is the dusting of funkiness that vaguely reminds of a strong cheese. It's not off putting per se just a bit awkward.

Taste: Wow, much sweeter than the smell would lead you to believe. It's an artificial sweetness that reminds me of saccharine. In fact the beer as a whole kind of reminds me of a glass of iced tea that someone dumped one too many Sweet'n Lows into and then squeezed in a lemon. The only difference being the kick of sour and the funk. I realize this may be close to the intended style, but the sweetness is just too overbearing and fake.

Mouthfeel: Nothing remarkable, but it's fairly good for the style. The body is fairly light, while the carbonation is sprightly but not overbearing.

Drinkability: At some point in time I'd like to try a different Faro though I realize the chances of this are slim to none. I just wonder if Lindemans did some artificial sweetening as well as the candied sugar. After all they do it with their standard series of lambics so it certainly isn't out of the question. Also for reference I have had a few of their fruit lambics and this is far sweeter than any of them. It's just too much.

09-22-2010 04:28:45 | More by DrDoitchbig
womencantsail

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this. One of those obscure styles that I've been looking to try.

A: The pour is a clear amber color with an intense levely of carbonation but surprisingly little in terms of head.

S: The nose is very musty with some odd notes of cork and bread. There is quite a bit of sugary sweetness as well, but I expected that.

T: Wow, I was really surprised by the flavor of this. The intense sweetness was the first thing I noticed as this beer is very sugary. There's also a hint of fruit and for some reason, a bile note on the back end.

M: The body was medium with a very high level of carbonation and despite being sweetened, still has a certain level of dryness.

D: This beer is really all over the place. I was not at all surprised by the intense sugary character, but the vomit flavor really seemed out of place.

03-11-2010 22:35:19 | More by womencantsail
auroracrisis

Kentucky

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

I've been very interested in trying a Faro lately. Unfortunately, this is the best I can do. Poured from a 355ml into a Russian River tulip.

Pours an amber color with a head that dissipates quickly into a ring of foam around the edges of the glass.

The smell is sweet, like caramel. Pretty similar to Coca Cola but with a subtle tarter, citrus zest behind the sweetness. Not really complex at all.

Tastes is somewhat similar to the smell but with more sweetness and no real apparent tartness or zest. The candy sweetness coats your tongue and it's hard to really taste anything else in the beer. The flavor sort of reminds me of apple juice.

Mouthfeel is medium with a slight amount of carbonation, almost still.

Overall, I would say that I am not impressed and don't think I'll be buying this ever again. I was just curious of the style and wanted to try it. I'm sure that a Faro could be delicious if done correctly, but this beer is just way too sweet.

05-24-2011 03:01:05 | More by auroracrisis
DIM

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

a: This was a light, cola brown and it poured with a small, wispy head.

s: This is an interesting clash of sweet, candi-sugar marshmallow sweetness and lightly funky, prickly apples.

t: The taste clashes as well, but its more off-putting than interesting. The sweet elements are much stronger than funky ones. It starts off with something I want to call marshmallow plus a pretty healthy dose of artificial sweetener. There is some green apple funk towards the end, but it doesn't take over. The funk that was there brought Flander's to mind rather than a lambic.

m: The light carbonation coupled with the sweetness makes this feel kind of heavy overall.

o: While I'd welcome a chance to try another example of the style, I don't think Faros are for me. The sweet/funky ratio was way out of whack here.

07-15-2011 09:52:24 | More by DIM
LeeryLeprechaun

Colorado

2.79/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The beer is dark orange in color with a small white head, slightly cloudy in color.

The smell is of brown sugar water, a little earthy. Not too pleasant.

Taste is very very sweet, almost like syrup. Notes of fruit and green or candied apple. Very powerful and bad aftertaste.

Probably medium in body but the sugar makes it very cloying.

This beer was not good. Maybe it is good for the style but it was not enjoyable to drink.

03-21-2013 22:26:26 | More by LeeryLeprechaun
hawks10

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

375ml bottle poured into a tulip, my first Faro, not really sure what to expect...

Pours a murky dark rose color, with some plum as well. Two fingers of fine off-white head forms and recedes pretty quickly...

Wow, the aroma is exciting. Tart and acidic like your typical lambic, but the tartness is much more subdued and even has a slight overripe fruit aroma. Where the aroma really shines is in its mustiness, funky and earthy, wet hay...

Hmmm, I detect no tart or sour flavors in this beer at all. Over the top sweetness with no balancing flavors. Very much like a very sweet cheap champagne or one of those macro ciders, not my style at all. When you lick your lips after each sip, all you taste in candi-sugar...

Medium bodied with somewhat low carbonation. Slick and syrupy, eh...

Yea, not trying this one again. WAY too sweet, I need a Cantillon to wash out my mouth now...

07-24-2010 00:11:21 | More by hawks10
mdfb79

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into My Gulden Draak tulip. Picked this one up at Stateline about 2 months ago.

a - Pours a hazy orange-brown color with one finger of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident. Lots of lacing left on the glass and 2 minutes or so of head retention.

s - Smells of sugar, fruit, apples, some Belgian yeast, light spices. A ton of sugar up front.

t - Tastes of sugar, sweet fruits, apples, Belgian spices and yeast. Again, way to sweet...reminded me a tiny bit of a really sweet cider.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Little tough to drink due to the sweetness.

o - Overall not a great faro. Just way to sweet and not balanced at all; the sugar dominates and makes it tough to drink. My girlfriend liked it quite a bit though and helped me finish the bottle. Wouldn't seek it out again; go for the 3f faro if you're interested in trying the style.

07-26-2011 00:38:47 | More by mdfb79
J4de

France

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

37.5cL bottle poured into a snifter at 6°c

Appearance - 3 fingers of crackling head. Intense light carbonation that erupts through the froth. Nice polished mahogany colour.

Smell - At first it smells very strongly of cider and apples. After a few sips, the sweetness is replaced by a rancid butter smell - not very appealing.

Taste - Acidy sweet apple taste even more than I expected. Overpowering and made it hard to finish the glass.

Mouthfeel - Leaves a nice coating and is rather fizzy but a few sips and the astringency of the sugar leaves the mouth very dry.

Overall - I knew what I was getting in to, not being a great fan of sweet beers. So I rated it on the generous side - it's brewed to taste the way it does. The sweetness of the beer affects the smell and I found it rather off-putting.

11-16-2011 16:57:40 | More by J4de
vkv822

Oregon

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

green 12oz into tulip snifter.
corked bottle. absolute nightmare to remove the cork, broke off, leaving half in the neck.

Pours an amber yellow with a fizzy off white head that is short lived.

The aroma is of sweet Belgian candi and some tart apple with a lightly funky backing.

The taste is very sweet, with a lot of apple notes. A very faint funky backing that gets lost at times in the sweetness.

Medium body with low carbonation.

As it is my first example of the style I have nothing to compare it to, but it was a bit too sweet for my liking.

01-31-2012 08:57:41 | More by vkv822
mrandypandy

Georgia

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

325ml bottle purchased at Green's, in Atlanta.

A- Pours a clear ruby/orange with a spritzy/fizzy white head. Head dies quickly, leaves minimal lacing.
S- Faint sweetness, mild barnyard funk. Straining to pick up much of anything.
T- Apple juice. Faint sour notes overshadowed by the sugary sweetness.
M- Medium body, low carbonation.
D- Too much sugary sweetness. I'm struggling to finish.

Overall - I had high expectations for this one and it fell flat. It just reminds me of fermented apple juice, too much sugary sweetness, no complexity. I'll stick with the Cuvee Renee next time.

08-20-2010 22:58:54 | More by mrandypandy
Heavenisbeer

Georgia

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

Tulip.

A: Opaque, tea-like brown. Very little carb, with a thin white ring lining the edge of the glass. Little to no lacing.

S: Watery. Very light touch of sourness, and a vague trace of prunes and soy sauce. This is my first faro, but the nose is not what I expected from this style.

T: Okay, I wanted to try this style, but the candied sugar addition seemed to me like a good way of ruining a perfectly fine lambic. The taste fully supports my preconceived notions. The funky must of the lambic peaks through the out-of-place sweetener, clashing in the process. A strong phenol presence. Off cider. Overly sweet fruit.

M: Not bad, not great. Just there. A little dryness towards the back end.

O: I understand that the beer needs to be appreciated in the context of the style, so I will judge it accordingly. But I will not be drinking a faro again.

11-13-2011 02:31:28 | More by Heavenisbeer
thecarster1

2.6/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

a- capped and corked bottle poured into a lindemans signature flute, little more than a fingers worth of head that fades quickly to a spotty layer and trailing.

s- some vinegar, woody, very prevalent sweetness here as opposed to other lambics - because it's a faro.

t- this is interesting, very sweet, some woody, vinegary notes as well, not alot of funk, just a residual sweetness that almost takes on a minty note.

m- light to medium and well carbonated.

d- not the greatest for me just because it's so sweet, this isn't a style that i'd be interested in trying out. i want my lambics and sours to be tart, dry, and funk filled.

01-03-2011 23:48:58 | More by thecarster1
projectflam86

2.58/5  rDev -28.9%

A- Pours a golden/amber color with a thick white foam head that leaves some lacing.

S- A bit musty with some sweetness and funk.

T- Not as sour as I was expecting. Very sweet and almost cloying with some honey and tang. Still kind of musty with an apple cider flavored finish.

M- Much thicker than most 4.2% brews. Sticky and cloying. Ok carbonation.

O- Overall this was a very interesting beer but a bit too musty for me. Kind of like honey flavored gym socks.

06-02-2011 00:32:14 | More by projectflam86
Bierschenker

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

This Faro has a dark red Amber colour. But gives only a small head. It has a medium acidity. It smells like a very sweet Geuze. The odour reminds me of very sweet chemical fruit supplements, with the sour-bitterness of a Geuze. The taste is a combination between a Geuze and a fruit beer but they have not succeeded in combining them in one harmonic beer or taste. The chemical fruit taste totally takes over. Very typical for the Lindemans beers. They are all very sweet and really not bitter, not even their Geuze. Lindemans is known for it’s Woman beers. Very commercial tastes, but not the real deal. Again I am disappointed in this brewer.
There is hardly an aftertaste, again the chemical fruity taste that leaves my throat with a very dry sensation. It is an easily drinkable beer but not for me.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat.

05-19-2005 14:08:06 | More by Bierschenker
Travlr

District of Columbia

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

A: Golden yellow colo with very small head that disappears quickly; no lacing to speak of.
S: Aroma of apples, grapes and candy.
T: Flavor is dominated by the cloying sweetness that never lets up - nothing to balance it.
M: Medium body.
D: This one is too sweet, lacks the lambic characteristic sourness to balance it.

01-04-2010 11:07:34 | More by Travlr
Paisan

2.48/5  rDev -31.7%

Amber-brownish liquid, fast receding "dirty" head.
I t doesn't look like beer, doesn't smell like beer, AND doesn't taste like beer.
Sweet, syrupy, not enough carbonation to counter it. A lemonade with some alcohol, pretending to be beer.
I will try a faro from another brewery, but I'm fairly certain this is not my style of beer. I prefer the "real" lambics.

10-30-2009 22:23:01 | More by Paisan
pluppykatie

Vermont

2.48/5  rDev -31.7%

Drinking out of a mini Duvel glass.

Appearance - a nice dark orange color.
Smell - Definitely some hints of sweet in this sour smell.
Taste - A burst of flavor that tapers off.
Mouthfeel - It feels a little oily as you swirl it around in your mouth. An interesting sensation.
Overall - Has a lot of sweetness to it. It's a unique twist to the sourness.

12-03-2011 00:53:14 | More by pluppykatie
stcules

Italy

2.42/5  rDev -33.3%

The colour is amber. The smell is sweet and acetic at the same time, even if the acetic is low for a lambic.
The sweet is something like candy sugar.
The taste is sweet ad acid, but well balanced. Notes of orange, strawberry.
the taste of acid fade away quicly, the sweet is more persistent.
The body is low, according the style.
It is a good beer for an aperitif.

12-28-2002 12:03:25 | More by stcules
BeerAndBourbon

2.42/5  rDev -33.3%

Reviewed from sour tasting notes.

A. Pours amber/ orange with a small head.

S. Wood, apple cider vinegar, maple syrupy sweetness, funky

T. Very sweet, funky, too sweet - the tremendously high sweetness is very odd - like tasting smirnoff coming back up

M. Thin with low carbonation level

D. Not a fan of this one at all

03-11-2011 05:51:57 | More by BeerAndBourbon
bobhits

Kentucky

2.42/5  rDev -33.3%

My first Faro and possibly last.

This beer looks and smells very well. Dark color, good carbonation, lacing, all the keys are here. The nose has sour elements, yeast, apples, pears, and other fruity flavors. Nothing wrong here! Then we get to the flavor...the beer makes mention of candy sugar, but wow this is way over the top. The sugar dominates the flavors and I feel off even assuming what the other flavors were supposed to be.

Hopefully more beers of this style will hold back on the sugar...a LOT.

12-14-2011 21:14:10 | More by bobhits
jneiswender

2.38/5  rDev -34.4%

Served out of a bottle into a two ounce tasting glass at the Belgian Beer Festival in Boston.

A.amber body and an off white head

S. Sour rotten apple

T. Cider...vomit

M.light

D.no thanks. I know these are supposed to be funky but WOW! Too much for me. How do you pair this?

09-11-2011 02:59:18 | More by jneiswender
Dukeofearl

2.33/5  rDev -35.8%

25 cl bottle tasted in the hotel room on my wife and my recent trip to Belgium and the Netherlands. 2.50 euros at a local souvenier/beer store in Brussels, near the Mannekin Pis.

Color- a moderately clear amber-brown with no head or carbonation whatsoever. Aroma is of a basic sour lambic, nothing special, but it did get me interested and excited for something good. The aroma isn't nearly as full and rich and sour as the Oud Beersel Geuze earlier in the day, but oh, well. The flavor is sugar. And sugar. And sugar. And then underneath, some oud bruin/flemish red sourness- not lambic sour, but something else. Keeps it from being awful, but that's not saying much.

This is my first of the style, so I can't compare it to much, but if this is typical, no thanks.

05-09-2007 00:38:14 | More by Dukeofearl
lacqueredmouse

Australia

2.33/5  rDev -35.8%

Pours a deep golden copper colour with an frothy head of white foam that leaves some egg-white lacing down the rim of the glass. Carbonation is exceptionally fine and extensive, but static, even though the body isn't particularly heavy. It's just really composed of tiny bubbles which is really nice. Yep. A very nice looking brew.

Lots of acidity and slight funk on the nose, with huge notes of oak-barrel dominant. Really quite acidic and vinous. The characters are very refined but intense - it's as though you can smell the fermentation going on as it is served. Nice.

Taste is initially confronting and it gets worse, but, to be honest, it's exactly what I expected from the style. The acidity is present, but there's a huge sugary sweetness trying to overwhelm it. Rather than providing balance, it produces conflict between the acidity and the syrup, leaving both seemingly unpleasant and out of kilter. The oak character lingers above all of this, providing the only pleasant note. Otherwise, I find this sickly but brash, a cacophony of characters committing genocide in my mouth. Mouthfeel is crisp at least.

I just don't get this beer. It's like lolly-water, or like a beer brewed for kids. I found it incredibly difficult to drink, given the sweetness and the odd acidity striking harshly off it. I'm not a fan at all, especially given the really quite pleasant nose, the rest is offensive. I believe it's just the style that causes me so much grief - this may be a stellar example, but I'm not inclined to try another in order to find out.

12-21-2009 10:00:53 | More by lacqueredmouse