Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Faro |  4.20% ABV

ABV varies slightly

(Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002)
2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

lbainivalu, Jul 20, 2014
2.33/5  rDev -36%

25 cl bottle tasted in the hotel room on my wife and my recent trip to Belgium and the Netherlands. 2.50 euros at a local souvenier/beer store in Brussels, near the Mannekin Pis.

Color- a moderately clear amber-brown with no head or carbonation whatsoever. Aroma is of a basic sour lambic, nothing special, but it did get me interested and excited for something good. The aroma isn't nearly as full and rich and sour as the Oud Beersel Geuze earlier in the day, but oh, well. The flavor is sugar. And sugar. And sugar. And then underneath, some oud bruin/flemish red sourness- not lambic sour, but something else. Keeps it from being awful, but that's not saying much.

This is my first of the style, so I can't compare it to much, but if this is typical, no thanks.

Dukeofearl, May 09, 2007
2.33/5  rDev -36%

Pours a deep golden copper colour with an frothy head of white foam that leaves some egg-white lacing down the rim of the glass. Carbonation is exceptionally fine and extensive, but static, even though the body isn't particularly heavy. It's just really composed of tiny bubbles which is really nice. Yep. A very nice looking brew.

Lots of acidity and slight funk on the nose, with huge notes of oak-barrel dominant. Really quite acidic and vinous. The characters are very refined but intense - it's as though you can smell the fermentation going on as it is served. Nice.

Taste is initially confronting and it gets worse, but, to be honest, it's exactly what I expected from the style. The acidity is present, but there's a huge sugary sweetness trying to overwhelm it. Rather than providing balance, it produces conflict between the acidity and the syrup, leaving both seemingly unpleasant and out of kilter. The oak character lingers above all of this, providing the only pleasant note. Otherwise, I find this sickly but brash, a cacophony of characters committing genocide in my mouth. Mouthfeel is crisp at least.

I just don't get this beer. It's like lolly-water, or like a beer brewed for kids. I found it incredibly difficult to drink, given the sweetness and the odd acidity striking harshly off it. I'm not a fan at all, especially given the really quite pleasant nose, the rest is offensive. I believe it's just the style that causes me so much grief - this may be a stellar example, but I'm not inclined to try another in order to find out.

lacqueredmouse, Dec 21, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -36%

Pours a pretty dirty pink cranberry. Good head and a multitude of bubbles.

Nuts, yeast, hints of fruit - though I'm not sure which.. Musky wood.

Sweeter than I had anticipated. Tastes a lot like Sprite, or Mike's Hard Lemonade with a sour tinge.

Lots of soda-like carbonation. Clean and refreshing. Too sweet though.

A tad too straightforward and soda-like.

ptykozoon, Dec 02, 2010
2.36/5  rDev -35.2%

Lion088, Sep 05, 2014
2.38/5  rDev -34.6%

Served out of a bottle into a two ounce tasting glass at the Belgian Beer Festival in Boston.

A.amber body and an off white head

S. Sour rotten apple

T. Cider...vomit

M.light

D.no thanks. I know these are supposed to be funky but WOW! Too much for me. How do you pair this?

jneiswender, Sep 11, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -33.5%

Reviewed from sour tasting notes.

A. Pours amber/ orange with a small head.

S. Wood, apple cider vinegar, maple syrupy sweetness, funky

T. Very sweet, funky, too sweet - the tremendously high sweetness is very odd - like tasting smirnoff coming back up

M. Thin with low carbonation level

D. Not a fan of this one at all

BeerAndBourbon, Mar 11, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -33.5%

The colour is amber. The smell is sweet and acetic at the same time, even if the acetic is low for a lambic.
The sweet is something like candy sugar.
The taste is sweet ad acid, but well balanced. Notes of orange, strawberry.
the taste of acid fade away quicly, the sweet is more persistent.
The body is low, according the style.
It is a good beer for an aperitif.

stcules, Dec 28, 2002
2.42/5  rDev -33.5%

My first Faro and possibly last.

This beer looks and smells very well. Dark color, good carbonation, lacing, all the keys are here. The nose has sour elements, yeast, apples, pears, and other fruity flavors. Nothing wrong here! Then we get to the flavor...the beer makes mention of candy sugar, but wow this is way over the top. The sugar dominates the flavors and I feel off even assuming what the other flavors were supposed to be.

Hopefully more beers of this style will hold back on the sugar...a LOT.

bobhits, Dec 14, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -31.9%

Amber-brownish liquid, fast receding "dirty" head.
I t doesn't look like beer, doesn't smell like beer, AND doesn't taste like beer.
Sweet, syrupy, not enough carbonation to counter it. A lemonade with some alcohol, pretending to be beer.
I will try a faro from another brewery, but I'm fairly certain this is not my style of beer. I prefer the "real" lambics.

Paisan, Oct 30, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -31.9%

Drinking out of a mini Duvel glass.

Appearance - a nice dark orange color.
Smell - Definitely some hints of sweet in this sour smell.
Taste - A burst of flavor that tapers off.
Mouthfeel - It feels a little oily as you swirl it around in your mouth. An interesting sensation.
Overall - Has a lot of sweetness to it. It's a unique twist to the sourness.

pluppykatie, Dec 03, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

This Faro has a dark red Amber colour. But gives only a small head. It has a medium acidity. It smells like a very sweet Geuze. The odour reminds me of very sweet chemical fruit supplements, with the sour-bitterness of a Geuze. The taste is a combination between a Geuze and a fruit beer but they have not succeeded in combining them in one harmonic beer or taste. The chemical fruit taste totally takes over. Very typical for the Lindemans beers. They are all very sweet and really not bitter, not even their Geuze. Lindemans is known for it’s Woman beers. Very commercial tastes, but not the real deal. Again I am disappointed in this brewer.
There is hardly an aftertaste, again the chemical fruity taste that leaves my throat with a very dry sensation. It is an easily drinkable beer but not for me.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat.

Bierschenker, May 19, 2005

safaricook, Jul 27, 2012

miggy2tone, Aug 18, 2012

brez8791, Feb 05, 2012

Farren, Jul 03, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

A: Golden yellow colo with very small head that disappears quickly; no lacing to speak of.
S: Aroma of apples, grapes and candy.
T: Flavor is dominated by the cloying sweetness that never lets up - nothing to balance it.
M: Medium body.
D: This one is too sweet, lacks the lambic characteristic sourness to balance it.

Travlr, Jan 04, 2010

Lawnboy33, Jan 20, 2012

boudreaux, Dec 22, 2011

JAHMUR, Jan 03, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

A- Pours a golden/amber color with a thick white foam head that leaves some lacing.

S- A bit musty with some sweetness and funk.

T- Not as sour as I was expecting. Very sweet and almost cloying with some honey and tang. Still kind of musty with an apple cider flavored finish.

M- Much thicker than most 4.2% brews. Sticky and cloying. Ok carbonation.

O- Overall this was a very interesting beer but a bit too musty for me. Kind of like honey flavored gym socks.

projectflam86, Jun 02, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

a- capped and corked bottle poured into a lindemans signature flute, little more than a fingers worth of head that fades quickly to a spotty layer and trailing.

s- some vinegar, woody, very prevalent sweetness here as opposed to other lambics - because it's a faro.

t- this is interesting, very sweet, some woody, vinegary notes as well, not alot of funk, just a residual sweetness that almost takes on a minty note.

m- light to medium and well carbonated.

d- not the greatest for me just because it's so sweet, this isn't a style that i'd be interested in trying out. i want my lambics and sours to be tart, dry, and funk filled.

thecarster1, Jan 03, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -26.4%

Tulip.

A: Opaque, tea-like brown. Very little carb, with a thin white ring lining the edge of the glass. Little to no lacing.

S: Watery. Very light touch of sourness, and a vague trace of prunes and soy sauce. This is my first faro, but the nose is not what I expected from this style.

T: Okay, I wanted to try this style, but the candied sugar addition seemed to me like a good way of ruining a perfectly fine lambic. The taste fully supports my preconceived notions. The funky must of the lambic peaks through the out-of-place sweetener, clashing in the process. A strong phenol presence. Off cider. Overly sweet fruit.

M: Not bad, not great. Just there. A little dryness towards the back end.

O: I understand that the beer needs to be appreciated in the context of the style, so I will judge it accordingly. But I will not be drinking a faro again.

Heavenisbeer, Nov 13, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

325ml bottle purchased at Green's, in Atlanta.

A- Pours a clear ruby/orange with a spritzy/fizzy white head. Head dies quickly, leaves minimal lacing.
S- Faint sweetness, mild barnyard funk. Straining to pick up much of anything.
T- Apple juice. Faint sour notes overshadowed by the sugary sweetness.
M- Medium body, low carbonation.
D- Too much sugary sweetness. I'm struggling to finish.

Overall - I had high expectations for this one and it fell flat. It just reminds me of fermented apple juice, too much sugary sweetness, no complexity. I'll stick with the Cuvee Renee next time.

mrandypandy, Aug 20, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -25%

37.5cL bottle poured into a snifter at 6°c

Appearance - 3 fingers of crackling head. Intense light carbonation that erupts through the froth. Nice polished mahogany colour.

Smell - At first it smells very strongly of cider and apples. After a few sips, the sweetness is replaced by a rancid butter smell - not very appealing.

Taste - Acidy sweet apple taste even more than I expected. Overpowering and made it hard to finish the glass.

Mouthfeel - Leaves a nice coating and is rather fizzy but a few sips and the astringency of the sugar leaves the mouth very dry.

Overall - I knew what I was getting in to, not being a great fan of sweet beers. So I rated it on the generous side - it's brewed to taste the way it does. The sweetness of the beer affects the smell and I found it rather off-putting.

J4de, Nov 16, 2011