Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Faro |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
2.27/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured this into a tulip. The pour gives a clear clean looking honey color with a big quickly reducing white head with runny lace. The smell is tart like apples with a bit of cedar. A little bit of candied sweetness in the nose also. Holy sweet! The pallet is toned down from from any tartness found in the aroma and it becomes a very sweet. The taste reminds me of white grape juice. It's actually really tough for me to come up with anything else on this. The mouthfeel isn't offensive, it's kind of syrupy but it's not bad.

Honestly, I do not enjoy this beer. That being said it is the first of it's style I've had. Maybe it's not for me but I'm pouring this out. I just can't drink it. The smell was nice but I really don't like the taste. I was still expecting a bit of sourness with me sweet.

2.27/5  rDev -37.6%

375ml bottle $6. This looked a little bit like cuvee rene in the glass but darker. The smell was odd, not what I would expect from lambic, sweet but almost artificially sweet. Same for the taste, just too damned sweet with no funk or sour. I have no clue why they would send this as opposed to the Cuvee Rene Kriek.

2.36/5  rDev -35.2%

2.36/5  rDev -35.2%

2.39/5  rDev -34.3%

25 cl bottle tasted in the hotel room on my wife and my recent trip to Belgium and the Netherlands. 2.50 euros at a local souvenier/beer store in Brussels, near the Mannekin Pis.

Color- a moderately clear amber-brown with no head or carbonation whatsoever. Aroma is of a basic sour lambic, nothing special, but it did get me interested and excited for something good. The aroma isn't nearly as full and rich and sour as the Oud Beersel Geuze earlier in the day, but oh, well. The flavor is sugar. And sugar. And sugar. And then underneath, some oud bruin/flemish red sourness- not lambic sour, but something else. Keeps it from being awful, but that's not saying much.

This is my first of the style, so I can't compare it to much, but if this is typical, no thanks.

2.41/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours a pretty dirty pink cranberry. Good head and a multitude of bubbles.

Nuts, yeast, hints of fruit - though I'm not sure which.. Musky wood.

Sweeter than I had anticipated. Tastes a lot like Sprite, or Mike's Hard Lemonade with a sour tinge.

Lots of soda-like carbonation. Clean and refreshing. Too sweet though.

A tad too straightforward and soda-like.

2.43/5  rDev -33.2%

The colour is amber. The smell is sweet and acetic at the same time, even if the acetic is low for a lambic.
The sweet is something like candy sugar.
The taste is sweet ad acid, but well balanced. Notes of orange, strawberry.
the taste of acid fade away quicly, the sweet is more persistent.
The body is low, according the style.
It is a good beer for an aperitif.

2.45/5  rDev -32.7%

Served out of a bottle into a two ounce tasting glass at the Belgian Beer Festival in Boston.

A.amber body and an off white head

S. Sour rotten apple

T. Cider...vomit

M.light

D.no thanks. I know these are supposed to be funky but WOW! Too much for me. How do you pair this?

2.45/5  rDev -32.7%

Pours a deep golden copper colour with an frothy head of white foam that leaves some egg-white lacing down the rim of the glass. Carbonation is exceptionally fine and extensive, but static, even though the body isn't particularly heavy. It's just really composed of tiny bubbles which is really nice. Yep. A very nice looking brew.

Lots of acidity and slight funk on the nose, with huge notes of oak-barrel dominant. Really quite acidic and vinous. The characters are very refined but intense - it's as though you can smell the fermentation going on as it is served. Nice.

Taste is initially confronting and it gets worse, but, to be honest, it's exactly what I expected from the style. The acidity is present, but there's a huge sugary sweetness trying to overwhelm it. Rather than providing balance, it produces conflict between the acidity and the syrup, leaving both seemingly unpleasant and out of kilter. The oak character lingers above all of this, providing the only pleasant note. Otherwise, I find this sickly but brash, a cacophony of characters committing genocide in my mouth. Mouthfeel is crisp at least.

I just don't get this beer. It's like lolly-water, or like a beer brewed for kids. I found it incredibly difficult to drink, given the sweetness and the odd acidity striking harshly off it. I'm not a fan at all, especially given the really quite pleasant nose, the rest is offensive. I believe it's just the style that causes me so much grief - this may be a stellar example, but I'm not inclined to try another in order to find out.

2.49/5  rDev -31.6%

Reviewed from sour tasting notes.

A. Pours amber/ orange with a small head.

S. Wood, apple cider vinegar, maple syrupy sweetness, funky

T. Very sweet, funky, too sweet - the tremendously high sweetness is very odd - like tasting smirnoff coming back up

M. Thin with low carbonation level

D. Not a fan of this one at all

2.53/5  rDev -30.5%

Amber-brownish liquid, fast receding "dirty" head.
I t doesn't look like beer, doesn't smell like beer, AND doesn't taste like beer.
Sweet, syrupy, not enough carbonation to counter it. A lemonade with some alcohol, pretending to be beer.
I will try a faro from another brewery, but I'm fairly certain this is not my style of beer. I prefer the "real" lambics.

2.53/5  rDev -30.5%

Drinking out of a mini Duvel glass.

Appearance - a nice dark orange color.
Smell - Definitely some hints of sweet in this sour smell.
Taste - A burst of flavor that tapers off.
Mouthfeel - It feels a little oily as you swirl it around in your mouth. An interesting sensation.
Overall - Has a lot of sweetness to it. It's a unique twist to the sourness.

2.55/5  rDev -29.9%

My first Faro and possibly last.

This beer looks and smells very well. Dark color, good carbonation, lacing, all the keys are here. The nose has sour elements, yeast, apples, pears, and other fruity flavors. Nothing wrong here! Then we get to the flavor...the beer makes mention of candy sugar, but wow this is way over the top. The sugar dominates the flavors and I feel off even assuming what the other flavors were supposed to be.

Hopefully more beers of this style will hold back on the sugar...a LOT.

2.56/5  rDev -29.7%

This Faro has a dark red Amber colour. But gives only a small head. It has a medium acidity. It smells like a very sweet Geuze. The odour reminds me of very sweet chemical fruit supplements, with the sour-bitterness of a Geuze. The taste is a combination between a Geuze and a fruit beer but they have not succeeded in combining them in one harmonic beer or taste. The chemical fruit taste totally takes over. Very typical for the Lindemans beers. They are all very sweet and really not bitter, not even their Geuze. Lindemans is known for it’s Woman beers. Very commercial tastes, but not the real deal. Again I am disappointed in this brewer.
There is hardly an aftertaste, again the chemical fruity taste that leaves my throat with a very dry sensation. It is an easily drinkable beer but not for me.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat.

2.56/5  rDev -29.7%

A: Golden yellow colo with very small head that disappears quickly; no lacing to speak of.
S: Aroma of apples, grapes and candy.
T: Flavor is dominated by the cloying sweetness that never lets up - nothing to balance it.
M: Medium body.
D: This one is too sweet, lacks the lambic characteristic sourness to balance it.

2.61/5  rDev -28.3%

A- Pours a golden/amber color with a thick white foam head that leaves some lacing.

S- A bit musty with some sweetness and funk.

T- Not as sour as I was expecting. Very sweet and almost cloying with some honey and tang. Still kind of musty with an apple cider flavored finish.

M- Much thicker than most 4.2% brews. Sticky and cloying. Ok carbonation.

O- Overall this was a very interesting beer but a bit too musty for me. Kind of like honey flavored gym socks.

2.61/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

a- capped and corked bottle poured into a lindemans signature flute, little more than a fingers worth of head that fades quickly to a spotty layer and trailing.

s- some vinegar, woody, very prevalent sweetness here as opposed to other lambics - because it's a faro.

t- this is interesting, very sweet, some woody, vinegary notes as well, not alot of funk, just a residual sweetness that almost takes on a minty note.

m- light to medium and well carbonated.

d- not the greatest for me just because it's so sweet, this isn't a style that i'd be interested in trying out. i want my lambics and sours to be tart, dry, and funk filled.

2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

Tulip.

A: Opaque, tea-like brown. Very little carb, with a thin white ring lining the edge of the glass. Little to no lacing.

S: Watery. Very light touch of sourness, and a vague trace of prunes and soy sauce. This is my first faro, but the nose is not what I expected from this style.

T: Okay, I wanted to try this style, but the candied sugar addition seemed to me like a good way of ruining a perfectly fine lambic. The taste fully supports my preconceived notions. The funky must of the lambic peaks through the out-of-place sweetener, clashing in the process. A strong phenol presence. Off cider. Overly sweet fruit.

M: Not bad, not great. Just there. A little dryness towards the back end.

O: I understand that the beer needs to be appreciated in the context of the style, so I will judge it accordingly. But I will not be drinking a faro again.

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans